REPORTING `SMOKERS' WILL HELP SAVE THE OZONE, SAY SIERRA CLUB MEMBERS

BY MARCIA MARBURY

UH Civil and Environmental Engineering Professor Jack Matson and Houston Sierra Club members said the Earth's ozone layer is on the brink of disaster due to the increase of pollution.

At St. Luke's Episcopal Hospital Monday, environmentalists discussed ways people can help save the ozone layer and decrease air pollution.

"If you spot smokers (cars that emit an excessive amount of smoke) and see broken, water-main pipes, report them," said Elizabeth Goreham, a Houston Sierra Club member.

The speech was entitled "How to Improve Houston's Environment Within 15 Minutes."

"If you'd like to become a clean-air advocate, join the Sierra Club, but if you don't have the time to help, donate money. A checkbook environmentalist is better than a no-participation one," Goreham said.

Drusha Mayhew, a Houston Sierra Club member, said environmental problems are increasing because people aren't taking active roles in saving the ozone layer.

"People dispose of at least four bags of garbage a week. Only one bag a week should be tossed," Mayhew said during the "Lifestyle Changes to Help Minimize Self-Poising" speech.

She said an estimated five million people in Houston contribute 10 percent yearly to the waste problem.

However, Mayhew said she believes education and participation in preserving the ozone layer can make a positive difference.

A solid-waste, stream system can begin to eliminate the massive waste problem.

Carmen Fitzgerald of the Galveston Bay Foundation said

she agrees with both Goreham's and Mayhew's suggestions of how to improve the environment.

"If we want pollution to cease in Galveston Bay, we've got to monitor the water," she said.

Like the pollution in the sea destroying the fish, Matson said the chemicals on land are main contributors to smog creation.

Automobiles and refinery petrochemical plants are 80 percent of the problem, and area dry-cleaners make up the rest.

Smog comes from chemicals dispersed from automobiles and different plants and a reactant source, an electrical current. When all are combined, smog is created. When these chemicals mix with the sunlight and heat, and the wind isn't blowing, the amount of smog in the air increases, Matson said.

He said the two peak times for smog formation are the morning and evening rush-hours. The morning rush-hour causes heat to build up and expand in the air, and the evening rush-hour with the sea breeze from the Gulf increases the chemical reaction in the ozone layer.

Susan Domotor, a St. Luke's Episcopal Hospital registered nurse and member of the Environment Committee, said the ozone layer is located in the upper stratosphere of the earth. The layer protects people from the sun's ultra-violet rays,

which can cause skin cancer. The hole in the ozone layer isn't protecting us from the ultra-violet rays, she said.

Also, Domotor said, the greenhouse effect is another deteriorating factor in the ozone layer.

The effect occurs when the production of carbon dioxide, an attractant to the sun's radiant heat, warms the earth.

Local environmentalists aren't the only ones concerned about the environment problem. Congress passed the Federal Clean Air Act in 1990.

"A 15 percent reduction of pollution is expected by 1996, and if sanctions are implemented, by the year 2007, we will have clean air," Matson said.

If people in Texas don't abide by the act, Texas will lose $1 billion in funds for the construction of highways and off-set admissions sanctions will be enforced, he said.

An example of an off-set sanction is paying two people to stop driving their car in order for you to drive yours, he said.

Environmentalists said people decrease pollution by keeping their cars tuned up, cutting back on miles driven and recycling and re-using plastic products.

St. Luke's is now using re-usable diapers, glass bottles and paper products instead of styrofoam in an effort to curb waste, Domotor said.

She said St. Luke's will implement another "save the environment" program this June.

*******************************************************

POLITICIANS MAKE WELFARE MOTHERS SCAPEGOATS

BY KATHY ALLEN

Although welfare programs for women and children have historically received minimal funding, welfare-bashing has become socially acceptable as the presidential campaign heats up.

Social service issues as they relate to women and children was the theme last week at the Seventh Annual Social Work Conference, sponsored by the UH Graduate School of Social Work.

Mimi Abramovitz, author of Regulating the Lives of Women: Social Welfare Policy from Colonial Times to the Present, opened the conference with a historic perspective of the traditional family and its effect on the social welfare system.

Looking back at this country's colonial agrarian economy, both the husband and wife served as economic producers. But the advent of the industrial revolution required a family member (usually the husband) to work outside the home for wages, while the other adult member (usually the wife) worked unpaid at home, Abramovitz said.

Women lost their role as economic producers. To this day, the traditional family structure, as dictated by the industrial revolution, is enforced by the social welfare system, she said.

"Its policies categorize women as deserving and undeserving of aid based on their compliance with the prescribed wife and mother role," Abramovitz said.

"This preference for the idealized family has been accompanied by a strong distrust of the parenting and socialization skills of poor women, especially if they are unmarried or women of color," she said.

Abramovitz responded to the myths that perpetuate the discriminatory policies of the states' Aid for Dependent Children (AFDC) programs:

Welfare mothers have too many children. The average welfare family has a mother and 1.9 children, slightly smaller than the national average. Only 10 percent of welfare homes have three or more children.

The majority of women on welfare are women of color. Nationwide, 40 percent of the recipients are white, 40 percent black and 15 percent Hispanic.

Poor families are headed by single women. Yet, two-earner households are the fastest-growing poverty group in the nation.

Some states have initiated programs such as Wedfare and Bridefare, which provide an economic bonus to women who marry. Although Abramovitz acknowledged positive aspects of the programs, she criticized them for ignoring the inability of poor men to support a family, for assuming that women spurn numerous marriage proposals and for penalizing single-parent families.

"In most cases, the poor are poor before and after they tie the knot," Abramovitz said.

Poor women on welfare are lazy and will not work unless the government forces them to do so. Of the 13 million people on welfare, 9 million are children. A portion of the adults who are on welfare cannot work due to illness, disability, lack of education and the presence of young children at home. Many others combine work and welfare.

Poor, single mothers have grown dependent upon the government, and their family will be mired in poverty from one generation to the next. A recent study showed that almost half the welfare recipients leave the program after two years and that 30 percent will be on the program for no more than two years during their lifetime.

Women on welfare are partially responsible for the nation's economic decline. AFDC benefits have always fallen below that of other public assistance programs. Since 1972, the real value of the benefit has plummeted by 42 percent. The average benefit is $367 per month, and in no state does the combined benefit of AFDC and food stamps lift a family of three above the poverty line.

The combined state and federal dollars spent for AFDC is $23 billion. The federal portion of the total expense is 1 percent of the federal budget. The state portion averages 3.4 percent of states' budgets.

For perspective, $80 billion was spent on the savings-and-loan bail-out last year, $150 billion is proposed for next year's bail-out and $300 billion in taxes were received by the Department of Defense.

Abramovitz explained why welfare-bashing is so prevalent. In a deep recession, she said, a scapegoat is needed, and welfare mothers provide an easy target.

The lines have been blurred between welfare mothers and criminals, allowing people to draw a line between "them" and "us." All of this plays into the hands of political candidates espousing racial views, she said.

"The welfare mother has replaced Willie Horton," Abramovitz said.

UNIVERSITY OBSERVES ALCOHOL AWARENESS WEEK

BY MELISSA NEELEY

UH President James Pickering and other faculty members recognized National Alcohol Awareness Month by honoring a new campus-wide program, Substance Abuse Training and Education Programs (STEPS), which will educate students and faculty about the problems of drinking.

"I don't have to tell anyone about what an important issue substance abuse is to us," Pickering said in the open-house ceremony in the UC Tuesday to a crowd of about 50 people, including representatives of Sen. Phil Gramm, Sen. Lloyd Bentsen and various UH faculty and students.

"This program will help both students and staff members. We talk a lot about building a community at the university, and this (program) shows us how much we care about each other," Pickering said.

STEPS was established at UH last October. It was funded jointly by a U.S. Department of Education grant of $151,000, along with UH's support, said Gail Hudson, program director of STEPS.

"The (federal) grant was given to us to develop and implement an institutional prevention program. In terms of the amount of the award we received last year, we were in the top six around the country," Hudson said.

Rosemary Hughes, assistant director of Counseling and Testing (CTS), and Hudson were "the principle investigators" or authors of the STEPS program developed last January, Hudson said.

UH provided the space, staff time and equipment for STEPS, which is located in Room 27A of the UC to make it easily accessible to students and faculty, she said.

If students are under the influence of alcohol or other harmful substances, the incidence of violent acts, like date rape, will increase, Elwyn Lee, vice president of Student Affairs, said to the crowd.

"We hope to help students make healthy decisions with the STEPS program so they won't resort to substance abuse," Lee added. "We want to focus on educating the students and staff before a problem exists."

The key for the STEPS program is for people to maintain a balance in everyday activities; when people feel they are missing something in their lives, they turn to unhealthy practices like drug or alcohol abuse to make up for it, Hughes said.

"We're not proud that we have a (substance abuse) problem. We're proud because we are doing something about this problem which tears the very fibers of our society and family structure," Gerald Osborne, director of the Counseling and Testing Center, said.

CTS is an umbrella program for various organizations, including STEPS, Hudson said.

University groups, like some of the Greek organizations, encourage alcohol abuse because of the often steady flow of beer or other alcoholic substances at parties, Osborne said.

"We often explain alcohol abuse by saying to ourselves, `Boys will be boys,' he said. "Instead of sitting in our offices, we are now getting up and actually doing something to help our students."

Students can also learn from some professors who will incorporate drug and alcohol issues into their curriculum, Hudson said.

In recognition of Alcohol Awareness Month, five professors received $1,000 each at the ceremony for developing theories about drug and alcohol abuse, which will be taught to their classes next fall, Hudson said.

The recipients of the awards include Ferdinand Tesoro and Ira Wolinsky from the College of Technology, Susan Robbins from the Graduate School of Social Work, Dennis Smith from the College of Education and Beth Olson from the College of Humanities, Fine Arts, and Communication.

"I'm going to focus on peer and other outside influences, which may influence people to abuse drugs. I will also concentrate on good behavioral prevention methods (from substance abuse) in my class next fall," Smith said.

"I will look at the portrayals of substance abuse in the media," Olson said.

Olson will show her class how television and other forms of media fail to depict negative consequences, which might include losing one's job and family from alcohol abuse, she said.

As a part of CTS, STEPS has also done date-rape prevention programs on campus, Hudson said.

"One of the things we are really trying to do is promote education not only for drug-abuse issues, but for date rape and other issues as well. We want people to know what alternatives they have and to give them information so they can make educated decisions about what to do in their lives," Hudson said.

NANTZ NOSTALGIC ON DAYS AT UH

BY JASON LUTHER

When 1992 Masters champion Fred Couples put on the traditional green jacket at the post-tournament ceremony, perhaps no one was feeling more emotion and pride than the man standing right beside him.

That man was Couples' former suitemate and golfing teammate at UH, Jim Nantz.

Nantz, who is one of only eight full-time, year-round, play-by-play announcers for CBS, hosted the Masters and the post-tournament award ceremony.

"It was a moment that I didn't know how I was going to handle," Nantz said. "I was afraid I might break down and cry.

"We used to hang around Taub Hall together; it was a great thrill for me."

Nantz, who was given the 1992 Distinguished Alumni Award by the Houston Alumni Organization, said his memories of UH aren't all as pleasant as the ones of he and Couples hanging out at Taub Hall.

Namely, numerous bad meals at OB cafeteria.

"I crawled to the UH infirmary one time after an unpleasant dinner at OB," Nantz said in a speech in the UH Communications building Wednesday.

Nantz came to UH in 1978 to play on the Cougar golf team, hoping to one day become a pro-golfer.

But golf was not to be Nantz's call to fame.

His memories of his short collegiate golf career are about as pleasant as his memories of cafeteria food.

"My golf career was highlighted by one tournament," Nantz said. "I qualified in the last position, and I was one under after the front nine, leading Couples, Blaine McCallister, Ray Barr and John Horne by three shots.

"But heading into the easiest stretch on the course, I cold-shanked my tee shot right into a bayou.

"That was the turning point of my life."

After failing to make another cut, Nantz ditched the professional golfing dream in lieu of a shot at broadcasting.

"The whole thing got started by doing public address at the Cougar basketball games," Nantz said. "At the same time, I was working at (campus radio station) KUHF as a sportscaster.

Nantz said his senior year was an unforgettable, if not frightening experience.

While taking 18 hours in his senior year at UH, Nantz hosted a sports call-in show on KTRH radio, worked at KHOU-TV for $25-a-show on the weekends, hosted the Guy Lewis Show on NBC affiliate KPRC, hosted the Jackie Sherrill Show and continued to do P.A. for the Cougars.

"I was doing my homework in the press boxes of the Astrodome and the Summit," Nantz said. "While I was doing the call-in show, we were up against Oiler games and SWC football, and we'd go four hours with only two phone calls.

"Finally, I'd get my buddies from over at the dorms to start calling me up and change their voices around. "It really taught me how to ad-lib and improvise."

Nantz got his biggest break in 1982, and at first, he didn't even want it.

A network affiliate in Salt Lake City contacted Nantz about a job as an anchor for KSL-TV. Not wanting to leave Houston for a much smaller market, Nantz went just to get interview experience.

But Nantz found that KSL was one of the highest-rated stations in the country and decided the job might be a good move.

"I started thinking how, back in Houston, I couldn't get a day off," Nantz said. "So I decided to cash it all in and get away for a while."

Nantz worked at KSL from 1982 to 1985, as well as doing play-by-play for the Utah Jazz.

In Utah, Nantz was bombarded with job offers from around the country.

But Nantz refused the jobs because he would not have the opportunity to do play-by-play.

"I was obsessed with getting on at a major network," Nantz said. "I thought play-by-play was the way to go."

In August 1985, Nantz was invited by CBS to audition for the network's college football studio show in New York.

He competed against such names as former NFL quarterback Pat Haden and ESPN's Roy Firestone.

Nantz said he really didn't expect anything to come out of the trip.

"I thought, `They're not going to take a guy from Salt Lake City,'" he said. "So I thought, `The absolute worst thing that's going to happen is that I'm going to get some good frequent-flyer miles from the plane trip.'"

After Nantz breezed through the audition, Ted Shaker, the executive producer of the show, told Nantz he reminded him of Brent Musburger.

Two days after returning to Utah, CBS called Nantz back for a second audition. He started work that same month.

For seven years now, Nantz has covered college basketball and professional golf. This year, Nantz covered the Winter Olympics in Albertville, France, and the NCAA Final Four in Minneapolis, Minnesota.

The NCAA's final game, pitting Michigan against National Champion Duke, was watched by 53 million people, making it the most-watched basketball game in the history of TV.

You would think this kind of success would give almost any guy a big head.

But not Nantz. He spent almost an hour listening to students and offering encouragement and advice after his speech on campus.

He even seemed a little nostalgic about his days at Houston.

But not about the cafeteria food.

HUMAN-RIGHTS ACTIVIST MENCHU SPEAKS AT UH

BY ERICKA SCHICHE

Guatemalan, human-rights activist Rigoberta Menchu knows her parents' blood has spilled for no justifiable reason, but rock-solid resilience and determination have kept her focused on a struggle for liberation.

When the 1992 Nobel Peace Prize candidate spoke to an audience of about 150 people -- through UH Anthropology Associate Professor Quetzil Castaneda, who served as her interpreter -- in the Brown Room of the M.D. Anderson Library on Tuesday, the 33-year-old spoke words of wisdom, hope and concern.

Respected by both her peers and the indigenous, ethnic groups of Guatemala, Menchu is also considered a threat to the militaristic regime of her homeland. Exiled in 1981, she has seen the atrocities committed by a government Menchu likened to two notorious political regimes. "Guatemala exemplifies some of the characteristics shown by fascists, Nazis that are also found in South Africa," she said in an interview preceding her speech.

The basis for her opinion is the way in which such groups chastised and tortured those who are not members of the reigning ethnic group. Menchu, a member of the Quiche tribe -- one of 23 ethnic groups in Guatemala -- has been severely persecuted for her role in Guatemala's liberation movement.

She received death threats in April and May 1989 and withstood the harsh treatment of security forces upon her return in 1988.

However, Menchu's immediate family has not been nearly as fortunate. On Jan. 31, 1980, her father, Vicente Menchu, perished during the Spanish Embassy Massacre, which claimed the lives of 39 people.

That same year, Menchu's mother, Juana Tum, lost her life after being victimized through kidnapping, torture and assassination. The regime, led at the time by President Romeo Lucas Garcia, also murdered some of Menchu's brothers.

Despite such horrors, Menchu has carried with her a vision of hope and peace. "This dialogue among the groups really gives us hope that the conflict in Guatemala will have a peaceful political solution," Menchu said, referring to the talks held recently between activists and the government.

What clearly irritates her are the mysterious disappearances of citizens. "In Guatemala, 45,000 people have disappeared, compared to a total of 120,000 for all Latin-American countries," she said, adding that the government has maintained about 250 clandestine, common cemeteries.

"Always, when people are disappearing in Guatemala, there is conflict going on in a certain city, town or area where people are demanding land, when people are organizing. The threats are always made by the para-military groups in Guatemala, the death squads, the state army and communist army."

The presentation of a translated version of her poem entitled "Homeland Denied" -- read by a lady representing the Dominican Sisters -- which followed Menchu's reading of the same poem in Spanish, gave her the opportunity to express her immense appreciation of the arts. "I crossed the border dripping from sadness/ I feel immense pain in that/ rainy and dark dawn that goes beyond my existence," Menchu wrote, expounding upon her love of nature and the state of turmoil in Guatemala. In the work, she also pays homage to her slain mother and father: "I will return tomorrow, when tortured mama/ weaves another multicolored huipil,/ when burnt-alive papa again awakens from the dawn."

Topics Menchu addressed during her speech included the impact technology has had on tribal cultures, the lack of concern about world-wide human rights violations and education. Menchu, who is self-taught, said she has thought of working toward being an "anthropologist, sociologist or technocrat, but it hasn't been possible" in her homeland.

"The poverty in which we live has given us an education. Education comes from what war has taught us."

"We still run the risk of having a crazy person push a button," she said, alluding to the possibility of a nuclear strike. Of the Berlin Wall, Menchu said "We've forgotten that there are many other walls that need to be thrown down, broken."

For 10 years, Menchu has lobbied for assistance at the United Nations as a member of the International Indian Treaty Council and the National Coordination Commission of the Peasant Unity Committee. She has continued to travel the world, spreading her messageof human rights.

Since she will soon return to Guatemala, not knowing her fate, Menchu said she will be inspired by "the face of all people in Guatemala, hope for justice" and the values instilled in her by her Mayan mother and Catholic father.

Following her talk, Menchu answered questions and received awards presented to her by representatives of such organizations as the Texas Faculty Association, the National Organization for Women and Hijos del Sol, which sponsored the event.

EMPLOYEES RECOUNT INSTANCES OF HARASSMENT

BY CHRIS PAYNE

Discriminatory harassment against employees on the part of Physical Plant administrators is a matter of routine, a former UH plumber said.

Bruce Hamilton, who worked in the Physical Plant from 1985 to 1988, said he quit his job there as a result of gross occupational harassment and an environment of fear and intimidation initiated by Physical Plant administrators.

Dana King, the former UH plumber whose lawsuit against the university and four Physical Plant administrators is scheduled for a May 7 docket call in federal court, alleges the same type of harassment took place during his employment.

King's suit, in fact, charges that Physical Plant administrators harassed him for not being a team player and for not taking part in criminal activity. The suit goes on to charge the Physical Plant with subjecting him to unsafe working conditions, such as working outdoors on electrical equipment and working with asbestos without safety equipment.

The suit also alleges that Physical Plant Executive Director Herbert Collier called King at his home after King had contacted an attorney to file suit in 1990, saying, "I know people who can take care of you."

Hamilton said he quit his job there in 1988 because he could no longer stand the harassment.

"Basically, I wasn't a game player," Hamilton said. "They don't want anybody who's going to rock the boat. They do the same thing to everybody. They make your life miserable."

King, a former Harris County constable, alleges in his suit that Physical Plant foreman James Mitchell and Building Maintenance Manager Paul Postel harassed him for refusing to use his law enforcement knowledge to assign police case numbers to stolen property. The suit charges that Mitchell and Postel had stolen the property and were trying to get King to help them.

When King refused, the suit states, Mitchell told him he was "not playing," and that Postel is "the Prince of Darkness," and that you "don't turn him down."

Sources within the Physical Plant confirm that Postel is known as the "Prince of Darkness." One employee, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said, "I understand he's (Postel) called himself that."

Hamilton said theft of state property among Physical Plant administrators and employees was rampant while he worked there.

In a deposition taken for King's suit, former Physical Plant employee Roy Read, who worked at UH from 1971 to 1990, said King was number-one on Postel's "hit-list."

Read also said King "was just another victim," and that when an employee made it on Postel's "hit-list," Postel "would make life so miserable for you that you had to quit."

When contacted in the summer of 1991, Read refused to comment on the suit.

"I still have friends out there (in the Physical Plant) that are going to reap a bitter harvest," Read said.

In a Feb. 4, 1983, Sample Exit Interview, a standard form filled out by departing Physical Plant employees, a former carpenter wrote that employees were "a target for harassment," and that an employee knew "that if he incurs their displeasure (referring to Physical Plant administrators, of which Postel is mentioned by name) that he has very little recourse because such things are difficult at best to prove.

"Even if the employee wins a grievance against them, the harassment doesn't stop, it just becomes more indirect; nevertheless, the message is clear to the rest of the employees that they had better not try. This climate of fear and tension that now exists in the Physical Plant forces the craftsman to submit, but, at the same time, ensures that he won't cooperate," the former carpenter wrote.

King worked at UH from 1982 until he was fired for the second time on Sept. 25, 1990.

PROF HEADS GROUP FIGHTING FOR RIGHTS OF MENTALLY ILL

BY CROSBY KING

Twenty-five bulging filing cabinets combine with paper-strewn tables to fill a lofty room in a building that used to house ROTC students in World War II.

Dale Johnson seems at home here. It is hard to picture the soft-spoken professor of psychology leading a group of any size, much less a nationwide organization.

But he has taken such a position. The tall, grey-haired researcher was recently named president of the National Alliance for the Mentally Ill (NAMI), a national advocacy group.

The group is made up of relatives and friends of people with serious mental illnesses, such as schizophrenia, manic-depression and major depression.

He became involved with NAMI when his son, Mike, developed schizophrenia as a teenager.

"It was really, really a shock that this child was such a normal child," he said, "but when he was 19, he became very psychotic -- he had to drop out of college."

Johnson said the first signs of his son's illness were baffling. He said Mike's behavior changed from outgoing to withdrawn, and Johnson and his wife were mildly concerned. But Johnson said when Mike became psychotic and delusional, there was no doubt about his prognosis.

He said his son mainly had trouble paying attention and had problems working and studying.

"He's not just absent-minded," Johnson said. "When he is attendant, he's obviously a bright and charming guy -- really on the ball. He's like a lot of other people with serious mental illness. He can't make a sustained concentration."

Speaking with a quiet, dispassionate voice, Johnson sounds like he's talked about his son many times.

"We made a decision a long time ago, my wife and I, that it was important to come out of the closet and talk about this, and Mike thought this was okay," he said.

Johnson said Mike has also begun to talk openly about his schizophrenia.

"He's doing a lot better," he said, "and he speaks very well."

Johnson's area of research involves the prevention of learning and behavior problems. By a remarkable coincidence, Johnson wrote about schizophrenia for his dissertation at the University of Kansas.

He said the notion that parental behavior causes the disease is still popular although fading. He said psychologists regard serious mental illnesses as caused by biological brain disfunction.

As president of NAMI, Johnson will try to find funds for services for the mentally disabled. He said the group is striving to get services and insurance coverage on an equal level as those with physical illnesses.

"I think people with mental illnesses are still terribly stigmatized," he said.

As an example, he noted that many perceive the mentally ill as violent, but he said they're probably victimized more often than any other group of people.

He also said many think nothing can be done about the mentally ill. Effective treatments such as medications and psycho-social therapy are available, he said, but they need to be improved.

"The state of Texas is one of the worst offenders in the nation, in that it doesn't provide adequate housing," he said.

Texas is ranked 49th in per capita spending on the mentally ill.

"Arizona aced us out for the worst," he said.

Johnson said NAMI was able to get equal coverage for the mentally ill in the recently passed Americans with Disabilities Act.

"It's going to be interesting to see what `reasonable accommodation' is for psychologically disabled people," he said.

SA FIGHT OVER: HRUSKA WINS

BY FRANK SAN MIGUEL

Rusty Hruska won the new presidential election, but the race may not be over yet.

YES candidate Hruska defeated his opponents Tuesday without need for a runoff election. However, appeals appear to be forthcoming.

Hruska won with 362 votes to Andrew Monzon's 162 and Eric De Beer's 120. 323 votes were needed for winning without a runoff.

Conspiracy allegations were also answered by Hruska as the results were announced.

"I'm glad it's over," Hruska said of the election. "Unfortunately, I'm sorry it's taken this long."

"It's a dark day for SA when an addled-minded fraternity drone is allowed to sit in the big chair," De Beer fired back. "The antichrist has won. Sigma Chi is the new 666."

Complaints lodged by presidential contenders included the moving of ballot boxes from the Satellite and the University Center to PGH at noon Tuesday.

After the results were announced, Hruska responded to allegations of conspiracy between he and the election commissioner Stefan Murry in soliciting candidates.

Hruska admitted that Murry was "not perfect." However, he added, "no one is ever perfect."

"Hopefully, next year, we'll be able to run a cleaner election," Hruska said.

One of his first acts as the new president, Hruska said, would be to set up a permanent commission to oversee election guidelines and ethics codes for SA.

"There are no checks and balances for SA, and there's a real need for it," Hruska said. "I'd like to see it happen."

College of Business Senator Ralph Coatsworth told senators at the first meeting of the 29th senate that he had been asked to run by Murry and Hruska.

"After Stefan got the job (of Election Commissioner) in January, he mentioned to some of the guys that he would like to see some of us run for office. I asked Ralph to run in February. No one twisted Ralph's arm to run. He did so because he wanted to," Hruska said.