AREA CHURCH STILL OFFERS HOPE AFTER 30 YEARS OF SERVICE

BY JIM MOSLEY

For the past 30 years, the Wheeler Avenue Baptist Church has been a lighthouse of hope for the people of Houston.

Since its founding in June of 1962, it has seen Martin Luther King, Andrew Young, Jesse Jackson, George Bush and Black Panther Party co-founder Bobby Scale walk through its doors.

"We started the church in our home when Rev. (William) Lawson was director of the TSU Baptist Student Union," Audrey Lawson, Rev. Lawson's wife, said.

"There were 13 families in the congregation at first, and now we have 1,500 families attending (the church)."

King only gave one sermon at the church, but he visited it every time he was in Houston because Rev. Lawson was the liaison for the Southern Christian Leadership Conference, which was King's organization, Lawson said.

Young and Jackson have come to the church many times, and Scale was here to teach classes during desegregation, Lawson adds.

"George Bush was here during the early '60s," Lawson said. "This was before he was Harris County Chairman for the Republican Party."

The church continues to lead the community through good works.

"The church continues to do God's work," Lawson said. "We have workshops for unwed mothers, donate $150,000 a year to social service programs and run a housing project on North MacGregor Boulevard for unwed teen mothers and their children."

Wheeler Avenue Baptist Church is located at 3628 Wheeler Ave., just two blocks from the UH campus.

*******************************************************

KUHF, KUHT MORE THAN CALL LETTERS TO UH

BY ERICKA SCHICHE

DAILY COUGAR

The relationship between KUHT, Channel 8, a viewer-supported television station, KUHF, a classical music, listener-supported radio station, and UH bears more significance than a call-letter affiliation with the university.

That the U.S. Senate recently voted 84-11 in favor of a continuation in the funding of the Corporation for Public Broadcasting raises questions about the relationship between UH and the two telecommunications entities.

Jeff Clarke, interim general manager of KUHT, said the channel -- which is licensed by the Federal Communications Commission through the UH Board of Regents -- has benefitted from a mutual opportunity to expand in terms of development along with the university.

An example he cited is the exchange appearances of faculty experts, who contribute to news magazine programs such as Almanac, for the exposure of 50 to 75 faculty members to the viewing public.

Such exchanges "allow them (professors) and other staff members to be seen in the community as education leaders in their respective fields," Clarke said.

The station, which is not allowed to receive funds from UH under Texas law, benefits from a rent-free tenancy on UH property that is situated within walking distance of the campus.

Ryan's Roundtable and the Town Hall Meeting series are other examples Clarke gave of UH's involvement in station-sponsored programming.

"We're also working in collaboration with the UH drama department to produce programs from drama screenplays and short stories," he said, speaking of a project that will include the involvement of Drama Chair Sidney Berger, Radio and Television Director Robert Musburger and students from both disciplines.

Clarke, however, is aware of the fact that the relationship between UH and the television station can be improved. To that end, he has planned to recruit more UH students in the future; 12 UH students currently serve as part-time, paid employees. "In Wisconsin, the public broadcasting system had paid internships for graduates in such areas as production, promotions, engineering, programming and development," he said, referring to 12 such positions offered to students by the Wisconsin Public Television System, which is the company Clarke worked for prior to joining KUHT as executive director in 1990.

He also foresees a time when the station could be utilizing (the proposed) School of Music's auditorium as a venue for "television programming without any interference." KUHT could also assist UH in the area of fiber optic technology and serve as a "gateway to satellites for university teleconferences."

The objective of strengthening ties is ongoing. The associations of both the television and radio stations with UH are a positive thing for the university," said H. Dell Felder, the senior vice chancellor who works directly with Clarke.

John Proffitt, general manager of KUHF since 1986, said the relationship between the radio station has been strained in only one area. "At the station, we have too many people and too little space."

While the Space Allocation Committee convened several times last school year to iron out an agreement with KUHF, the problem has yet to be resolved.

He said the radio station, which operates on a budget of about $1.5 million -- part of which is generated through a Corporation for Public Broadcasting grant, with the remainder coming from listener support -- employs three UH students. "We're part of the university's community outreach. The station reaches 170,000 people each week; we recognize it as a service to UH and the community," Proffitt said.

QUAYLE AT TOP OF THE `EARTHBUSTER' CHARTS

COUGAR NEWS SERVICE

WASHINGTON (CPS) -- The Wilderness Society has released a list of nine "Earthbusters" cited as representative of "entrenched corporate interests that seek to continue plundering public lands for private gain."

"These are the forces of reaction and regression and if permitted to go unchallenged, pose the greatest threat to the preservation of America's last unprotected wild lands," said George Frampton Jr., president of the society.

The nine "Earthbusters" included Vice President Dan Quayle and the Council on Competitiveness for its work against clean-air regulations and wetlands; Secretary of the Interior Manuel Lujan for his pro-timber industry policies; Alaska Gov. Walter Hickel for his pro-oil drilling policies; top U.S. auto executives for their continued "affinity for dirty cars and trucks"; destructive, below-cost timber sales; dams on the Snake and Columbia rivers that threaten salmon extinction; subsidized overgrazing of public lands and national park concessionaires who overcharge the federal government.

Americans have shown that they are concerned about environmental protection, the Wilderness Society contends.

"Environmentalism is under attack because it has succeeded in changing society and lifestyles for the better," Frampton said. "Environmentalism means the free ride is over for those industries and individuals that regard the public lands as their private money machine."

MADRID BUSINESS STUDENTS TRAVEL TO UH IN SEARCH OF NEW LEARNING ENVIRONMENT

BY DEBORAH HENSEL

Providing an international view of both business and academics is one of the goals of the Madrid Business School's MBA Program, now in its fourth year in cooperation with the UH College of Business Administration.

The College of Business Administration, in partnership with Yago Group Hispana, provides academic oversight and guidance for the program, which is modeled after UH's MBA plan.

Faculty from UH travel to Spain for one semester to teach two courses in English, making the program one of the few in Europe taught in English.

"The people who started this program recognized that an American business education was well-respected the world over," said Dan Currie, UH coordinator for MBS.

Job placement and external relations are a part of the program as well.

"The feedback we're getting from the corporate world in Europe is that they're pleased with the quality of the graduates," Currie said.

International students from all over Europe, Asia and the Far East spend six semesters in the Madrid MBA program, one of which is spent at UH. This summer, 83 MBA candidates are studying here, in residence at Cougar Place since May 19.

Last summer, over the Fourth of July weekend, college-bound students vandalized rooms on three floors of Moody Towers, causing over $9,000 in damage.

Currie, who succeeded Dr. Art Jago as coordinator in January, said the vandalism, while not the only reason, was probably a contributing factor in the cancellation of the program.

EXPERIMENTAL CONTRACEPTIVE FOR WOMEN REVOLUTIONIZES `THE PILL'

BY KAREN SNELLING

A new method of birth control for women called the vaginal ring is being researched at reSearch For Health Inc.

This form of contraception involves inserting a flexible ring into the vagina. The ring remains in place for 21 days and emits a hormone similar to the one used in the pill.

Doctors involved with the study are requiring participants to be 18 to 35, have regular menstrual cycles, have no desire to become pregnant for at least two years and be in generally good health.

Participant involvement for this study is planned to begin in the middle of June, Mary Raines, director of special projects and patient recruitment for reSearch For Health, said.

Information concerning the ring's effects or cost cannot be discussed until testing begins, she said.

Susan Leitner Prihoda, nurse practitioner from the UH Health Center, said she could not give any opinion about the ring because she has not heard how successful or safe the contraceptive is.

Concerning other forms of contraception, all devices on the market are good, she said. None are better than any other because the best device depends on a woman's physical condition and her individual lifestyle, she said.

"I would not take part in the testing of it," Valerie O'Brien, senior finance major, said.

O'Brien would only consider using the ring after being assured of no side effects and hearing about successful results over the years. "I'd wait probably five years after it was marketable before I'd think about using it," she said.

Albert Huerra, a former electrical engineering major, said if safe, the ring would be a good idea for today's busy women because they would not have to remember to take a pill everyday.

It would also be a good idea for researchers to develop a more convenient form of contraception for men besides the condom, he said.

Thu Nguyen, senior accounting major, said the ring would probably make life easier because of its convenience.

"It's not a big deal because all it is is a step up in technology," she said. Nguyen said she would not want to be one of the first to try it, however.

Research participants will receive medical examinations, laboratory tests and the ring for free. Qualified volunteers will be accepted on a first-come, first-serve basis because enrollment is limited.

ReSearch For Health Inc. is an organization of doctors that does research for pharmaceutical companies.

BIG, BAD WOLF HUFFING AT LOCAL THEATRE'S DOOR

BY GRAM GEMOETS

Stages, a mainstay in Houston's live-theater market, has an uncertain future. In a state of limbo, it has been forced to put plans for its fall season on indefinite hold.

Proposed development at 3201 Allen Parkway may force Stages to vacate.

"At this point, we just don't know; we are still trying to purchase the building, and our lease is up," Tip Gladwin, Stages' public relations manager, said.

Despite repeated efforts on Stages' behalf to purchase the complex, all offers have been ignored.

"They refused us a new lease back in December," Gladwin said.

Gross Investments, a partner in the proposed development, wants to build high-priced apartments on the sight of Stages' present facility.

Jernard Gross, owner and general manager of Gross Investments, located in the posh Transco Tower, refused comment when contacted concerning this article.

One bright spot in favor of the new development is the fact that Stages is housed in a historic building. The Star Engraving Building was declared a local historical landmark by the Houston City Council in 1986.

A historic building cannot be torn down.

Therefore, Gross can only alter the interior of the building and may not alter the exterior.

However, they will be allowed to add additional space around the current building. So, in a sense, the fact that the building is a landmark does little to prevent the displacement.

Theaters usually promote their fall seasons by June, but since Stages' fate is so uncertain, all future productions have been placed on indefinite hold.

"How can we plan a season when we might be homeless?" Gladwin explained.

A "floating season" has been suggested, which means that another resident theater, in this case the Alley at 615 Texas Ave., would allow Stages to use its facilities until it can relocate to a new facility.

This would be difficult because Stages would lose its independent identity, not to mention a lot of future business.

"An average of 30,000 patrons pass through our doors each year, and I'm not sure this will continue if we move," Gladwin said.

Still, Stages' employees and patrons remain hopeful.

Several notable citizens, including local arts patron Dominique de Menil, made passionate pleas to City Council. In addition, a petition garnered 8,000 signatures.

Despite their efforts, the city has done nothing to halt the eviction. City Council members indicated they had no reason to take action.

So it seems that Stages' future hangs upon decisions made at the Gross firm. A decision is not expected until July and until then, Stages' fall season will continue to be in limbo.

"We cannot plan any large-scale productions if we are going to be stuck in some attic," Gladwin said.

To disgruntled employees, this is a clear-cut case of the big developer vs. the mom-and-pop business.

STUDENTS SELL SPERM FOR MONEY

BY ADAM KING

It may just be the most unusual part-time job any student ever put on a resume.

Fertility laboratories across the country are paying as much as $380 a month for students to donate their semen to help infertile couples have a child through artificial insemination.

"In most cases, students are the vast majority of donors," said William Andrews, executive director of the American Fertility Society in Birmingham, Ala.

Andrews cited two reasons for this. First, he said, infertile couples are looking for donors who are intelligent. Secondly, Andrews said the students simply need money.

At Eastern Virginia's Medical School sperm bank, all the donors are students, Andrews said.

"They're in school full time, and they have no time to go out for several hours and work at a job." said Chris Leonard, an office manager with Zygen Laboratory, a fertility lab in Van Nuys, Calif., that recruits students from local colleges and universities.

She estimates that as many as 75 students are actively donating to Zygen, earning $30 per accepted sample. Andrews estimates that the nationwide average paid to donors is about $35 a sample.

Donations are accepted only after a rigorous screening process that tests samples for adequate sperm count and sexually transmitted diseases. Each donor faces questions about his sexual background and must undergo a physical and a blood test for the HIV virus.

Zygen lab supervisor Anh Le said the company prefers students as donors because they often are healthier, better educated and between the preferred ages of 18 and 35. There is also more ethnic diversity on campuses, and the couples who use the samples are of all races.

Even so, there may be some restrictions. At Zygen, for example, students who are 5 foot 7 or under need not apply.

"Most of the (couples) don't like short men." Le said.

Students also may be more intrigued by the idea of helping infertile couples, said Nancy Shanfeld, health promotion coordinator at California State University, Northridge's student health center. "With the number of infertile couples today -- and I read recently it's one out of six couples -- you've got a tremendous problem," she said.

However, the odds of being accepted are slim. "You can say our average is about five out of 50." Le said.

PROF PROMOTING IMPORTANCE OF CULTURAL DIVERSITY AWARENESS

BY DEBORAH HENSEL

Similarities between international students adapting to campus life at UH and new employees adapting to unspoken rules in the workplace represent a small part of the studies done at the UH Institute for Diversity and Cross-Cultural Management.

"The mission of the institute is to enhance an organization's ability to effectively use its diverse workforce," said Professor Alison Eyring, director of the institute. "We are trying to be a bridge between the academic world and industry, working with them to create some new information through applied research."

Eyring said she has found that a lot of companies who send employees overseas don't do enough to prepare them.

"The way they prepare their managers is to tell them what the climate is like, what the spoken language is and how to dress appropriately," she said. "That's not information that helps them think about behavior and about what they, as newcomers, can do to become part of the new culture."

Managers who don't understand cultural issues aren't as effective at management in a foreign environment, according to Eyring. Furthermore, failure to adapt to the culture can be expensive, costing a company as much as $250,000 every time an ex-pat returns from overseas.

She cites inability of the spouse to adapt as one of the primary reasons for ex-pat failure, but said a lot of companies fail to see the business sense of providing cross-cultural training for employees' families and giving them coping strategies to help them feel good about adapting to a new environment.

One program the institute conducted this past spring was an acculturation training program for international students coming to UH. Eyring said the program focused on "the process of being new" and behavioral coping strategies, as opposed to just providing information about campus culture.

Students were instructed to check their assumptions in situations where people weren't meeting their expectations.

"For instance, you always think of people from other countries as having different timetables. I had a great conversation Friday night with someone over dinner. I had lived in Spain, and I mentioned that it was hard for me to adapt to eating so late," she said.

Her dinner companion reminded her that it was a matter of perspective.

"He said, `We think you eat too early.' That's a perfect example of how we tend to measure the world with our own rulers," Eyring said.

Another factor that the institute's studies addresses is employee turnover. Companies find high turnover in the first two to three years of employment, according to Eyring, with some companies discovering they lose half their employees within five years.

"That's kind of expensive," she said. "A lot of people think that turnover occurs because people don't become socialized to the unspoken rules (of the new workplace)."

"Whenever you're new somewhere, you have to figure out how things work. That newness is harder for some people than for others," Eyring added. "It's harder for a woman in an all-male environment to get the kind of information she needs. It's harder for an international student to find out where to buy special kinds of food. If you're different from everyone else, you're less likely to find people to communicate with you."

That observation explains why a lot of international students find it hard to make friends with American students and often don't feel like they're a part of the campus community.

"I think we fail as faculty and students to take a step out to make people feel welcome. Not just the international students, but first-generation college students who have no idea what college is like," she said.

Eyring recommends meeting one new person in class every day, turning to the next person and asking where they're from.

"This is a real grass-roots effort at creating community spirit. I hear so many people say we don't have any community spirit, but I don't see them doing anything to create it," she said.

"My own life has been enriched by people I've known who are different from me," Eyring said.

This summer, she is teaching a course called "Managing Cultural Diversity." The first night, she required them to break into groups made up of people from diverse backgrounds, then dismissed them early to go get to know each other.

INCOMING FRESHMAN RAPED AT UH HILTON

BY MEGAN MC GOVERN

A 17-year-old incoming freshman who was raped on campus last week has agreed to press charges if the suspect can be identified.

A composite picture was drawn by a Houston Police Department artist and is being circulated around campus and the UH Hilton.

After several local newscasts showed the composite last week, UH police received a "good response," Eric Miller, director of Media Relations, said.

"They got some calls from people who thought they might know the guy," he said, "but nothing tangible yet."

The student was on her way to the bookstore from parking lot 1A last Saturday, May 31, at around 3 p.m. As she walked by the UH Hilton, she was approached from behind by a man wearing dress slacks and a pin-striped shirt who forced her into the parking garage underground, Miller said.

The assailant carried a razor blade and inflicted the student with cuts on her chest, neck and thighs, said Miller.

After the rape, the attacker fled the scene, leaving the girl alone in the garage.

She left the garage, got in her car and went to a friend's house in Clear Lake, where after several hours, friends persuaded her to go to the hospital at about 8 p.m.

The Clear Lake police were notified, and the UH police were called at about 10:30 p.m. or 11 p.m. Saturday night, Miller said.

The suspect is a white or Hispanic male, six feet tall, about 200 lbs., between 25 and 29 years old, with brown hair. His complexion is brown or tan, has chewed off, very short fingernails and was wearing a long sleeved dress shirt with brown or grey pinstripes and dress slacks. His hair is very short on the sides and on top, but long in the back.

If anyone sees this man, they should call UH police at 743-3333 immediately.

Miller said this was the first reported rape on campus since last October, when a date rape occurred. There have been no other reported rapes on campus since 1988.

The police advise caution when walking alone and when approaching a vehicle. The police escort service is available 24 hours a day by calling 743-0600.

'MINOR` CAMPUS CRIMES TO BE HANDLED SANS DA

BY JIM MOSLEY

UH's new misdemeanor policy may look lenient, but it actually has sharp teeth.

In a recent policy letter, UH President James H. Pickering decreed that UH can wave prosecution against students when they commit minor crimes at the university.

"This type (of crime) only happened two times last year," Dennis Boyd, senior vice president of administration and finance, said. "This (policy) is for tiny infractions. If the offense is large, the student will be referred to the district attorney.

"The student will pay restitution," Boyd said. "It (payment) will be added to the fee bill like unpaid parking tickets.

"There will never be a case when the student will not pay," Boyd added.

This policy gives UHPD discretion in the charging of minor offenses against the university.

"We (UHPD) enforce all laws and student life policies," UHPD Lt. Brad Wigtil said. "When a student life policy is violated, a student is given a student life referral.

"If there is a victim (other than the university), they (the assailants) are referred to the criminal justice system," Wigtil added.

A student life referral is forwarded to the Dean of Students' Office.

Student life policies are found in the 1991-1992 Student Handbook.

"When a student commits a minor crime against university property, UHPD has the discretion to give out a student life referral, bring them downtown or they can do both," Assistant Dean of Students Kathy Anzivino said. "If the student receives both (an arrest and a referral), the university can review the case and drop the charges if needed."

In the past, students caught tearing pages out of library books were arrested and forced into the criminal justice system. Now, they can receive a referral, she said.

Three days after receiving a referral, the student must schedule an appointment with the Assistant Dean of Students, Anzivino said.

"A student can elect to have a disciplinary conference, with the assistant dean of students or a University Hearing Board," she said.

If a student is arrested on a minor criminal offense, he or she can get deferred adjudification -- after a year, the student's record would be wiped clean, Wigtil said.

A University Hearing Board is made up of students, faculty and staff, Anzivino said.

As punishment, students can receive anything from a verbal warning to full expulsion from the university, Anzivino said.

In a memo issued in April, Pickering also decreed that:

UHPD review its stop-and-identify procedures so they are not viewed as discriminatory,

Once a month, the UHPD chief will present to the president's Safety and Security Advisory Group all complaints received since the last report and their resolutions,

Stop-and-frisk procedures are to be used with discretion to avoid the appearance of harassment or hostility,

Students may file complaints against UHPD with the Office of the Dean of Students. UH employees can file complaints with the vice president of their department,

All complaints must be filed within 30 days of the incident. It should include the name of the officer, evidence and the names of any witnesses,

"All members of the UH campus community should be appraised of the fact that UHPD have the legal right to stop and seek the identification of anyone on campus whether or not the police have any suspicion or probable cause,"

These recommendations are not derogitory of UHPD.

FUND FORMED TO HELP HOMOSEXUAL STUDENTS

BY LLOYD FARNHAM

COUGAR NEWS SERVICE

Students at Occidental College in Los Angeles have kicked off a scholarship fund to help gay and lesbian students whose parents have cut them off financially because of their sexual orientation.

Johnny Aguilar, a junior, suggested the idea for the scholarship fund to the school's Bisexual, Gay and Lesbian Alliance earlier this year, and the organization held its first fund-raising drive.

Aguilar came up with the idea because he had a friend who was forced to leave school because of financial problems that arose after she told her parents she was a lesbian.

The scholarship fund is believed to be the first of its kind in the country, according to Jonathan Poullard, assistant dean of students and adviser to the alliance.

"Many students will not come out to their family because they fear being cut off," Poullard said.

When students are financially dependent on their parents, they find it difficult to disclose their sexual orientation, said Peggy Olson, who serves on the executive board of a Los Angeles group called Parents and Friends of Lesbians and Gays.

"I have never heard of anything like this (fund), and it sounds like a great idea," she said.

The scholarship committee will be headed by a student, and committee members will include representatives from the financial aid office, the dean of students office, the counseling center, the faculty and gay and lesbian alumni, Aguilar said.

The committee will review applications and interview students before awarding scholarships based on need.

Currently, more than $1,200 has been raised for the fund.

The only academic requirement will be that the student displays the ability to successfully complete studies at Occidental College. To be considered eligible, applicants also must be active in the gay and lesbian community, Aguilar said.

Abuse of the fund is always a possibility, but "if it does get abused, we will figure out other ways to administer it," Poullard said.

The Bisexual, Gay and Lesbian Alliance plans to hold more fund-raisers that would include the gay and lesbian communities in Los Angeles and gay and lesbian alumni.

INNOVATIVE PROF RECEIVES HIGHEST HONORS IN FIELD

BY JASON RUSSELL

There is yet another reason to be proud of UH. The National Academy of Sciences has elected Dr. Neal Amundson, Cullen professor of Engineering and Mathematics, to its ranks at age 76. This is Admundson's 53rd year of teaching.

Before coming to UH in 1977, Amundson was chair of the University of Minnesota's chemical engineering department. While there, he built one of the best programs in the nation.

"UH is easily the best department in the South," Amundson said when asked about UH's own engineering program.

Professor Dan Luss, a former student of Amundson's at UM, asked him to come to Houston in 1977. Luss now heads the department.

Amundson said it wasn't difficult to have a former student as a boss. "The relationship you have is different. It's like a father-son relationship, and if it's done right, it is very, very easy."

Dr. Amundson became interested with the field because he had a good chemistry teacher while in high school in St. Paul, Minn. He knew he wanted to either be a chemist or an engineer. After working for Standard Oil in Louisiana, Amundson decided to go back to school in 1939 for his master's degree.

In 1949, he became the department head at UM and had the opportunity to change the way courses were taught there. He championed a curriculum based on applied mathematics. Today, his innovative ideas are used by chemical engineering programs worldwide.

The National Academy of Sciences serves as an advisor to the federal government in matters concerning science and technology. Membership in the academy is considered to be one of the highest honors awarded to an engineer or scientist.

ENTERTAINMENT

BY GRAM GEMOETS

Hail Holy Queen of Motown Love: Sister Mary (Whoopie Goldberg) leads a choir while on the lam from mobsters in Touchstone Pictures' hysterical Sister Act.

As a second-rate lounge singer, Delores Van Cartier (Goldberg) witnesses a murder and enters a witness protection program. More sinner than savior, Sister Mary/Delores takes on directing the choir and coaxes the blues right out of some off-key nuns.

Well, you guessed it, the killers come looking for the stoolie, and the antics get off to a flying start.

Despite the cliche nun jokes and a soundtrack that is sooooo top-ten, the film should make a bundle... praise the Lord!

Little Girl Lost Drew Barrymore never looked better! The promos sum it up nicely: "Ivy (Barrymore) thought her best friend had the perfect house, the perfect family, the perfect life. So she took them."

Cooper (Sara Gilbert of Roseanne fame, and yes, Melissa's sister) has problems. Her mother (Cheryl Ladd) is suicidal, her father (Tom Skerritt) is a pedophile and she is sexually confused...

Anyway, Ivy comes to live in this happy home and ends up wreaking havoc on everyone.

Drew plays a woman who uses lies, charm and seduction to escape her past. Her scheming results in tragedy for all.

Drew is HOT in this one. No matter how they shoot that face, it comes out gorgeous.

The film version of Tom Clancy's novel Patriot Games is not as good as its predecessor, The Hunt for Red October.

What starts as a holiday for Jack Ryan (Harrison Ford), wife Cathy (Anne Archer) and their young daughter turns into global mayhem, complete with car-bombings and high-budget shoot-outs.

The British Royalty, you see, is the target of an assassination plot. And, of course, Ford is the one who saves the Royal bacon at the risk of thousands of lives.

The timing of this picture is a little off as saving the Royals anything is not exactly on the minds of anybody these days (Fergie and Lady Di being choice cuts on the media's platter).

However, Paramount decided to launch their October sequel anyway. Way to go. The film's take has already reached the $20 million mark.

Class Act would be more aptly titled Class-less.

Kid 'N Play, those popular rappers from the teen-scene, are back at it after two previous films together.

You'd think Warner Bros. had something better to do. They obviously don't.

These two are high school students whose records get mixed up. One is a smart-aleck, and the other is a brain.

The rest is obvious. In fact, it is so obvious, you should save your money.