GOLF TEAM TAKES 13TH PLACE IN NCAA CHAMPIONSHIP TOURNEY

BY KEITH ROLLINS

DAILY COUGAR

Against all odds, the Cougar golf team swung their way into 13th place overall at the NCAA championship tournament held last week in Albuquerque, N.M.

Behind the brilliant play of freshman sensation Anders Hansen, who finished the tournament in 19th place with an even score, and senior Todd Caliva, who shot one-over par overall to place 23rd, the team finished in the nation's top 15 for the first time in five years under Head Coach Keith Fergus.

"I was really proud of Anders and Todd Caliva. They turned it on when it counted and brought respect back to the system along with Dean Larson and Greg Cox," Fergus said.

Considering the competition, which featured the likes of Arizona State's Phil Mickelson, who won the tourney's overall honor for the third time in four years, and 1990 individual champion Warren Schutte, the Cougars placed well ahead of others' predictions.

In fact, the May 30th issue of Golf Digest published a report saying the Coogs had 100-1 odds of finishing near the top.

Fergus blamed the lack of respect largely on the fact of underexposure to the national scene.

"We played well in numerous tournaments, but we never dominated many. We finshed second in a highly competitive golfing conference behind Texas, but were not known enough to be thought of as a contender. I knew we had a good team," Fergus said.

After the first half of the first round, Lansen grabbed the early lead with a score of 67, five strokes under course par.

However, as daylight fell, Lansen's brief stay in the spotlight ended as Mickelson scored a record tying round of 63, held oddly enough by Coach Fergus.

The track team also participated in their NCAA Championship Meet in Austin last week.

Michelle Collins placed highest of all the UH qualifiers in her specialty,

the 200-meter dash. Her fifth place finish with a time of 23.48 seconds was slowed by a weakening case of hyperventilation and fatigue.

"I felt really tired. It was due to the amount of races I had to run," Collins said.

Highly touted Sam Jefferson, considered one of the best things representing UH since Leroy Burrell, finished seventh in his semi-final race.

Both athletes are gearing up for the Olympic trials to be held June 19-28 in New Orleans, La.

The only other event in which UH qualified was the ladies 4 x 400-meter relay. Their outdoor season ended with a 4th-place finish in their preliminary heat.

*******************************************************

LOTTERY SPREADS TO CAMPUS

BY REBECCA LEE

DAILY COUGAR

The start of this summer semester has a new twist: Not only are students standing in line to buy books, they are also crossing the street to buy lottery tickets.

More than 200 students walk into the Circle K store on Calhoun daily to try their luck at the lottery, store manager Cuong Luu said. However, the students he has seen are not big gamblers, he added.

"They normally come in and buy one or two tickets," Luu said. He added that 75 percent of his lottery customers are students, and the store averages $1,000 in daily ticket sales.

"I'm a non-smoker, and maybe that's my smoking money," said John Janoussec, a senior management major. He said he bought 15 tickets and won $20.

Janoussec said he supports the lottery because more money will be made available to state-run organizations without raising taxes. However, he said he does not expect the money to have any immediate beneficial impact on the Texas economy.

"It will help in the long run, but not initially. It's just too new," he said.

Even students who did not buy tickets said they support the lottery because they hope the funds raised will help state-run programs without increasing taxes.

"It is definitely a good way to raise revenue," said Lawrence Martin, a graduate student in public administration.

While the state of Texas receives 40 percent of total lottery revenues, which added up to $48 million in the first week alone, the Legislature will not decide on how the money will be spent until January.

"The money will go into the general fund and has not been earmarked for anything yet," said Darlene Arnold, a Texas Comptroller employee. Recommendations on fund distribution will have to be made by the House Appropriations Committee, the House Finance Committee, The Senate Ways and Means Committee and the Senate before the funds can be made available to the organizations, Arnold said.

While the students interviewed agreed that the lottery revenues will benefit the state, they expressed doubt that education and programs for the poor would be significantly enhanced.

Alfred S. Galvarro, who bought three tickets and didn't win, said he played the lottery for fun but believes lower-income families may be more serious about winning and can face a problem.

"Maybe they're playing the lottery instead of giving their kids dinner," said Galvarro, a junior management major.

Leila Rabuya, a junior in nursing, said she believes the lottery will benefit the state and businesses most and the lower classes least.

"The lower classes might depend on the lottery too much to get them out of financial problems," Rabuya said.

Sociology Professor William Simon agrees that the lottery will affect mainly the poor, who gamble to lessen their problems.

Simon added he does not believe the lottery revenues will truly increase funding to state programs or schools.

"At best, it might stop the downhill

slide on education."

LITTLE RED AND THE BIG BAD WOLF TAKE SONG FOR KIDS

BY GRAM GEMOETS

DAILY COUGAR

A multitude of gleeful children will descend upon UH through the month of June to catch a musical version of Little Red Riding Hood at the campus Wortham.

The production is part of the Children's Theater Festival and is sponsored by the drama department. The festival continues through August.

To squeals of delight, youngsters can watch as Little Red frolicks with her singing, big-toothed "grandmother."

After each performance, children can mingle with costumed cast members in the theater's lobby.

For many children, this is their first live theater experience. In an age where children's lives are dominated by television, this is a welcome cultural experience.

Many adults are likewise enthrall-ed by the staging. "I have never seen a musical fairy tale before, and I loved it," an excited parent said.

In July, the UH Wortham will present The Magic Pot and the Leprechaun followed by Yushi and the Thunder Dragon in August.

Little Red Riding Hood will run through June 23. Children's tickets are $4, and adults pay $5. A three-play subscription can be purchased for $9.50 or $12.50, respectively. Group rates are also available.

Performances run weekdays at 10:30 a.m. and some afternoons at 1 p.m. Additional information can be obtained by calling the box

office at 743-2929.

ARTIST SHOWS MORE THAN JUST DOGGY ART

BY ERICKA SCHICHE

DAILY COUGAR

When artist William Gegman appeared on the David Letterman Show with his two dogs, Fay Ray and Battina, he helped perpetuate a myth that has prevailed about him since the '70s.

Wegman, who is a versatile visual artist, has worked in such mediums as painting, photography, drawing and film. Now, though, he has been labeled simply as the man with the Weimaraner dogs.

On the Letterman show, both dogs, sitting atop a piece of furniture, participated in a milk-lapping contest.

In the past, Wegman's most popular canine family member, the late Man Ray, had been photographed in feminine costumes. He has also posed in a canoe wearing a feathered Indian head-piece and dressed as an elephant.

In some of his final appearances, the dog appeared saddened as he posed for pictures.

The photographs of the dogs, along with watercolor, oil and acrylic paintings, pencil drawings, video presentations and photographs of other subjects, are part of Wegman's one-man show at the Contemporary Arts Museum.

Among some of his most impressive works are the paintings which resulted after he resumed a painting career in 1985.

"Dock Scene," an oil painting done in 1985, features a mother and child waving to a sinking ship in the background. Rich hues, lines and contrast are used effectively in this painting.

From his love of encyclopedias came the inspiration for some of his oil paintings. A prime example of this influence is an oil and acrylic entitled "Architecture."

Modes of transportation are apparently Wegman's favorite subject. In the CAM exhibit, there are at least half a dozen oil paintings which feature some form of transportation.

In these works, he applies his child-like fascination with his experienced hand to create such works as "Harbor" and "Plane."

The latter is a visually arresting work. It features an airplane against a not-so heavy backdrop of vermilion, black, olive-green and blue.

It is obvious that Wegman is justified in expressing a dissatisfaction with his peers who want to keep him confined in a box.

Indeed, Wegman seems to be well aware of this problem.

"In The Box," a portrait of Fay Ray sitting and then perched on a white, wooden box, is somewhat symbolic of his own career as an artist.

Wegman, in his late forties, graduated from the Massachusetts College of Art in Boston and received a masters from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champagne.

Wegman returned to MCA as an instructor. Teaching allows him to give advice to budding artists.

One thing that can be learned by some artists of the present generation is a lesson in straightforwardness, which Wegman possesses in abundance.

His pencil and ink drawings are simple yet provocative. An example of such a drawing is "Shape of the Desk Doesn't Matter."

Even Wegman's "Kids Still Get Bored," although it was produced in 1973, survives as a meaningful commentary on education and childhood.

In an interview at the Contemporary Arts Museum, Wegman said he is "displeased with the number of young artists who don't know their art history".

Perhaps the poignancy in his voice can be linked to what he knows will happen in the future: Some established artist will ask a promising painter or photographer about William Wegman, and the latter won't have a reply.

Hopefully, Wegman, who does not want to be known simply as the man with the dogs, will find his place in art history.

Even without the other subjects (such works as "Arm Envy,"" Broken Hurt,""Ray" and "Mrs. Lubner in Bed Watching TV") William Wegman's photographs of his pets should stand the test of time.

The museum, at 5216 Montrose, will run the exhibit through August 23.

LOUD MUSIC AND CONCERTS CONTRIBUTE TO GRADUAL HEARING LOSS AMONG TEENS

BY MARCIA MARBURY

DAILY COUGAR

Many concert goers are turning a deaf ear to a hazard that has already caused hearing problems for millions of people.

Dr. Ellen Friedman, an associate professor at the Baylor College of Medicine, said young adults and teenagers are at greater risk of gruadually losing their hearing.

"Hearing loss caused by noise used to be seen mainly among industrial workers or war veterans. But we're seeing an increasing amount of hearing loss in people in their 20s," she said.

"Parents are very concerned about drugs, nutrition and scholastics, but they may not be aware that their teens are destroying their hearing,' Friedman added.

UH Senior Helen Boyd, 20, said, "I listen to loud music every day. When classes get started, I will have my ear phones so loud so I don't hear anyone. It helps me think. I block out everything so that I can focus on one thing."

Jesse Martinez, 21, a UH junior pharmacy major from Laredo, said, "I started listening to loud music at work to relieve pressure."

Yet, even though some students enjoy listening to ear-splitting music, other students do not.

"I hate loud music. I don't like to drive with extensive loud music becuase I can't hear others," said 21-year-old senior Anneke Larson.

Friedman, said that 80 decibels - the unit for measuring sound - is about a four volume and is a normal level.

However, she said a number of teenagers and young adults listen to music about double that level.

Listening to loud music can have short- and long-term effects, Friedman said. "A short-term effect is ringing in the ears." However, after a couple of hours, hearing should return to normal, she said.

"Long-term is preventable, but not fixable. This kind of hearing damage can be sneaky. Often, it occurs gradually so that the individual is not aware their hearing is diminished," she said. "Once hearing damage occurs, it is too late."

Friedman said famous rock stars have begun to acknowledge the hazards.

Stars such as Lars Ulrich, frummer for Metallica, and the Who's Peter Townsend both admit they suffer from hearing problems.

Some rock stars endorse groups like Hear Education Awareness for Rockers or Hearing is Priceless, which educates teenagers through school programs and produce public service announcements

Friedman said other measures to save hearing include wearing ear plugs at concerts and listening to stereos no louder that the fourth mark.

DOCTOR PRESCRIBES OVERDUE BREAK

BY DEBORAH HENSEL

DAILY COUGAR

From fire-ant bites to cardiac arrest, in 14 years, Dr. B. J. Smith, director of the UH Health Center, has seen it all. After being the primary force behind a number of improvements at the clinic, Smith is leaving July 7 to seek a change of scenery.

Since the late 1970's, Smith has helped the clinic evolve from a "school-nurse operation" to a comprehensive medical facility.

One of the biggest improvements has been securing a dedicated health center fee.

"That lays the foundation for any other improvements we might make," Smith said. "We've upgraded and increased services to the students, which is our mission. It's been a pleasure to see those changes, even when it seems they've been slow in coming."

One improvement Smith regrets didn't materialize during her directorship is a full-service dental facility that she has helped plan for the past two years. Smith said she is confident such a facility would provide low-cost dental services that would benefit all students.

Over the years, Smith has witnessed all kinds of accidents, illnesses and health-related tragedies.

"The saddest part has been getting to know the students with AIDS," she said. "Fortunately, with AZT, there's a more positive outlook. They can go on with their studies, graduate and pursue a career."

Smith first came to UH as a pre-med student in 1972 after doing biomedical computer studies for NASA in the building that now houses KUHT-TV. It seems she's always been tied to the UH campus, she said.

"These have been some of the most rewarding years of my life,"

she said. "Leaving makes me feel like I'm being separated from my family, but the center has such a good staff, they can go on auto-pilot."

UH STILL LACKS REFINED REPUTATION TO SOME

BY ERICKA SCHICHE

In the eyes of some people, the University of Houston, in all of its earth-toned grandeur, is plagued by a nagging image problem, but to others, it is perceived as a much-needed institution for the masses.

Naomi Lede, vice president for Institutional Advancement at Texas Southern University, said the university may suffer from a lack of identity. "I don't think the outstanding offerings at UH are articulated very well," said Lede, a UH graduate. "Harvard is known for its law school. When you say the word `Penn' (the University of Pennsylvania), people immediately think of the Wharton School of Business."

She attributes the identity problem to the fact that UH (established in 1923), much like other young, public education institutions, does not have the same strength of tradition as schools like Harvard, which recently celebrated its 341st year during commencement exercises.

Lede, who said disunity is also a problem, remarked that "no commuter university can claim unity until you get appropriate university housing." Examples of schools in campus communities which have thrived in the area of school spirit are the University of Texas and Texas A & M, she said.

Lede said TSU, which suffered from negative images in the past, has become the beneficiary of a dramatic change in the public's perception of the school. The success of the debate team, a cooperative effort with the Egyptian government, and the fact that the school has been a site for meaningful rallies, has had a positive impact on the school's image, she said.

Lede said she hopes her alma mater will be recognized more for its excellence in such areas as architecture, education and hotel and restaurant management. Lede gives a suggestion for a different strategy: "When you've given one area sufficient visibility, then you shift to another area."

However, Frank Ryan, vice president of external affairs at Rice University, said UH students and faculty have no reason to be concerned about image. Ryan's office, which handles alumni relations, community relations, news and publications and public relations, handles the same tasks as Lede.

"The image problem for higher education has been noticeable," Ryan said. "Higher education in and of itself as a pursuit wasn't laudable for many years."

UH, however, since it has "a larger burden to carry for the city" than Rice does, should be recognized because it offers a "fairly broad spectrum of curriculum," Ryan said.

Nevertheless, UH has received some publicity that may cast the school in a negative light as the university of crime. In his letter to the University of Houston community, President James Pickering acknowledged the importance of balanced coverage when he stated "In recent days, unsubstantiated rumors of sexual harassment have made their way into the hands of local media."

In the letter, Pickering went on to state that sexual harassment, while it is indeed a serious matter, should be the problem and concern of not only the administration, but the entire campus community. "The University of Houston is your university," he wrote.

In the same week, reportage about a rape that occurred on campus and an employee's misuse of state property may have helped contribute to the perception of the school as one that is out of control.

SEXUAL ASSAULTS MORE COMMON IN HOUSTON THAN MOST REALIZE

BY DEBORAH HENSEL

DAILY COUGAR

Sexual assault on campus and throughout the city of Houston may be more common than most people think.

"It's certainly not an uncommon event," according to Mitzi Vorachak, director of community education at the Houston Area Women's Center.

Crime statistics show that a rape occurs in the United States every six minutes. In 1991, 1,142 rapes were reported to the Houston Police Department, and twice that many were reported to the Rape Crisis Program of the Women's Center.

However, FBI statistics estimate these reported cases represent only one-tenth of all actual assaults. Considering the number of unreported cases, the rape of a freshman in the underground parking lot of the UH Hilton on May 30 may not have been an isolated incident.

"Most rapists do attack more than one woman, and serial rapists tend to work the same area," Vorachak said. "There may have been many other incidences that have not been reported."

Vorachak advises both women and men to be alert to the possibility of sexual assault and to pre-visualize defensive strategies.

"If you can visualize putting your hand on a knife and pushing it away from you, you can actually do it, and it might save your life some day. A lot of women don't like to think about it in advance because they don't believe it can happen to them, just to other people," Vorachak said.

The belief that "it can't happen to me" can give people a false sense of security, but one-fourth to one-third of all women and one in 12 men will be raped during their lifetimes.

Visualizing what you will do in the event of an attack will imprint that defense in your mind and enable you to act quickly in a real assault, according to Vorachak.

"Sometimes, a few seconds can make the difference between being pulled into a car and getting away," she said. "If you can do anything to avoid being taken into a vehicle, do so. Once you're being driven away, it's very hard to do anything about it unless you're prepared to jump out of a moving car."

"Women need to be able to scream and yell and carry on and make as big a ruckus as they can," Vorachak said. Even that may not be enough, Vorachak added, citing an incident that occurred at Sharpstown Mall.

In that instance, a woman was abducted in the parking lot in front of a number of witnesses who heard her screaming, but failed to act. Apparently, most of the onlookers believed they were seeing a domestic dispute. Only by fighting back was the woman able to escape.

Vorachak advises women to fight back, but to trust their instincts in each situation.

"We don't want to give anyone a guilt complex for going through a rape without fighting back because that person was afraid for her life," Vorachak said. "If a knife is at your throat, your first priority is your own safety."

The Houston Area Women's Center advises women to take a self-defense course -- not necessarily to earn a black belt in karate, but to learn how to get out of certain types of holds.

Also, awareness of activity around you is critical to avoiding an assault.

"Don't be so preoccupied with getting to your next class or being late to work that you don't think to have your keys threaded between your fingers. Keep your fingers tight so you can use them as a weapon," she said.

Try to avoid parking next to vans, trucks and cars with tinted windows, and check to make sure that no one is hiding under your car or the one parked next to you, she advised.

Vorachak conceded that constant vigilance to avoid potential danger puts an extra burden on women -- something she says women are accustomed to anyway.

"I used to go to movies and go shopping by myself at night. I don't do that anymore," she said, adding that any anger she feels about not feeling safe to do those things is channeled back into her work, which is educating the public about sexual assault.

POLICE INVESTIGATE UH HILTON DOINGS

BY MEAGAN MC GOVERN

DAILY COUGAR

The UH Hilton's general manager is under investigation, and the College of Hotel and Restaurant Management is being audited following a four-part, investigative series on Channel 13 news.

The Hilton's manager, Dennis Caylor, is under investigation by the UH police department because of a news story done by Wayne Dolcefino. Caylor, in addition to running the hotel, makes ice sculptures free-lance for parties and special events.

In the past, he has created sculptures for events such as pre-game receptions at the late President Marguerite Ross Barnett's home, receptions at the law center, parties at the School of Music, farewell receptions and Christmas parties.

"He's an accomplished ice carver," said Wendy Adair, associate vice president for university relations. "However, that's not part of his job description, and he does the ice-carving business on his own."

Adair said the Hilton has a small, closet-like room designed for holding ice, which the Hilton rented to Caylor for $25 a month to use in his free-lance business. "The students would watch him carve ice," she said.

Dolcefino's report raised the question, however, of whether the use by Caylor of the Hilton was an appropriate use of state property for personal reasons. Adair said the hotel's response was that because Caylor was paying for the use of space and because it was of benefit to students, there was no problem with it.

There was, however, a problem with Caylor's use of the university van to deliver his ice sculptures to non-university functions. "One of the issues being investigated is the use of a university vehicle -- whether that's inappropriate use of state equipment," Adair said.

Dolcefino's report showed a video of Caylor and other university employees loading an ice sculpture into a UH van and delivering the sculpture to a hotel near the Galleria. One of the men delivering and setting up the sculpture was wearing a UH uniform. Eric Miller, director of Media Relations, said all UH employees were off the clock at the time.

Another part of the segment showed the business cards Caylor uses for his private business, imprinted with a university phone number.

Despite this evidence of possible misuse of state funds, however, Caylor was never disciplined. Associate Dean Joe Hayes said, "He has had the university policy reiterated to him. It's a part of his written record, and that's where we found it appropriate to stop."

In addition, a routine audit of the entire College of Hotel and Restaurant Management's financial and management records, which had been scheduled for October, is being done now. A press release from the university said "The allegations brought forward to the university by Channel 13 prompted the university to change the audit timetable and to conduct a full audit and the appropriate police investigation at this time."

The audit, conducted by an independent auditing firm that reports directly to the Board of Regents, is investigating some of the travel and entertainment expenses run up by the dean and associate dean of the college, as well as Caylor, Adair said.

In the Channel 13 report, the college's expenditures were reported as being over $85,000 for a 28-month period. Miller reports that all of the receipts are in place for the expenditures.

Adair said the administration, including President Pickering, asked that the audit be moved up, and that the university police start an investigation. The investigation started May 11.

UHPD Chief George Hess said that until the investigation is complete, all information is confidential.

PROS INSTRUCT AT JENKINS' ANNUAL FOOTBALL CAMP

COUGAR SPORTS BRIEFS

All-Pro quarterback Jim Kelly of the Buffalo Bills and former UH-standout Craig Veasey of the Pittsburgh Steelers were among the NFL's elite who made an appearance at this week's John Jenkins Celebrity Football Camp.

Jenkins has led the camp for three years and has seen its growth in both enrollment and volunteers.

"Each year, the camp gets bigger and better," Jenkins said. "All the celebrities involved always want to come back the following year. It's just a great experience for everyone involved."

The camp provides youngsters with hands-on instructions from various celebrities, ranging from the fundamentals of football, to the kicking game.

Past camps have included such names as Andre Ware, Warren Moon, David Klingler and Dan Hampton of the Chicago Bears.

HACKERS DISCUSS LOSS OF RIGHTS FBI SEIZURES, PIRACY TECHNIQUES

BY AMEY MAZUREK

DAILY COUGAR

A panel of mildly rebellious computer users (mild, that is, after discussing matters with the FBI) examined the issues that have affected hackers May 2 on Austin Access.

Panel members included Chris Goggans (a.k.a. Eric Bloodaxe), who is now a computer-security consultant after having had his hardware confiscated; contributors and staff members of the Worldview magazine, an international computer-distributed magazine; Electronic Frontier Foundation representative David Smith; and two genuine hackers whose real identities remained unknown on camera by way of masks and sunglasses.

"Where's my nicotine patch?" asked a nervous Jay Lee (a.k.a. Rev. Scot Free). He was about to host the panel discussion "Hackers: Threat or Menace?"

"Ninety seconds to air, and the host is freaking," said Steve Palmer (a.k.a. Elrond).

Idols and icons of the cybercommunity graced the panel's table. A laptop computer held an internal 1200 baud modem to which, unfortunately, no one had the right connectors to access the studio's phone line for demonstrations. Steve Jackson's role-playing game, Hacker, had prominent space; rightly so, since the FBI seized Chris Goggans' hardware along with Jackson's when the game was on the market. The published cultural barometers such as Mondo 2000 and 2600 (a frequency once used by hackers to access local and long distance Ma Bell phonelines) were also lying on the table.

After a brief opening video collage of B-movie scenes, television preachers and industrial noise groups, Jay Lee opened the discussion. He defined video-hacking as "video art...Taking everyday images and hacking them up." Then he asked the other members of the panel for their comments on the freedom of speech in areas concerning electronic media.

Chris Goggans emphasized that first amendment rights were not extended to computer users. "We're not covered by the freedom of the press," he said.

Dave Smith said the Electronic Frontier Foundation was created specifically because first and fourth amendment rights are ignored in electronic space.

"You can be awakened at gunpoint, your equipment can be seized, and you'll never be charged with a crime and never see your day in court," Smith said.

Jay Lee moved the topic to definitions of computer crime.

Steve Palmer said it depended on whether software came from illegal sources, i.e. software piracy. He also figured reading someone else's electronic mail would be a crime.

Chris Goggans cited the willful intent to breach the security of an institution. For example, illegally searching for someone's credit and financial records by gaining access to bank computers could be considered a crime. Or finding and using someone's long-distance account without his or her knowledge.

He also said the intent to disseminate information to breach corporate security was also a crime. "When evidence is presented to non-technical judges who know very little about computers," Goggans said, "it is easy for (the prosecution) to sway the judge to issue a search warrant."

Carl Guderian (a.k.a. Blacque Jacque Shellacque) supplemented Goggans' view. "People tend to fear things they don't understand," Guderian said. "The biggest problem is that information (about computer hacking) is not disseminated."

After a brief discussion swapping computer bulletin board information, Jay Lee turned to Goggans and asked if he had the Captain Crunch commercial. He was referring to a bosun's whistle advertised in the early 70's as a cereal box prize. The whistle's frequency was 2600 Hz, exactly the same tone used to access long distance services by phone hackers. All a hacker had to do was play the whistle over the phone's receiver to call long distance anywhere nationwide. The phone company has long since disbanded the service.

Goggans played the commercial to introduce two hackers, English Prankster and Mental Conflict. Neither would reveal his real name or face.

English Prankster, who wore a full-sized mask of George Bush's face, revealed that he hacked by going into manholes and, after hours, gaining access to closet-enclosed corporate phone banks. "Systems are usually accessible with a screwdriver," he said. His voice was muffled through the mouthhole of the mask. He attaches wire clips to the phone lines, which go to a device hidden nearby that sends an electronic beacon by which he can access phone lines away from the site.

"I don't make long distance calls, just local," he said. He goes through all the trouble of hacking because "I just don't want to be traced."

Mental Conflict, wearing a mask and sunglasses, said, "I'm mostly a spectator nowadays. I've seen a lot of interesting things in the past six to eight years. You have Fortune 500 companies handling millions of bits of data, and there's hardly any security. It's so incredibly open. Fifteen, sixteen year-old kids can access credit card information."

MICKEY MOUSE STUDIES LEAD TO UH COLLEGE CREDITS

BY MELISSA NEELEY

DAILY COUGAR

Receiving college credit at Disney World? Yes, it is possible, as Cheryl Price, a junior hotel and restaurant management major, proved after receiving an internship there last spring semester.

Price said she saw an advertisement in The Daily Cougar about internships at Disney World and signed up for an interview with Disney officials for the following day. A few weeks later, she was notified that she received the internship and was told to be in Florida by Jan. 15.

At first, Price said she was nervous about being separated from her family and friends by 1,000 miles, but she became so involved in her work schedule and her new environment that she lost those feelings of homesickness, she said.

Other than providing her own transportation to Florida and a deposit on her rent, Price did not have to pay any other expenses, she said.

"My rent was automatically deducted from my paycheck and, although it wasn't a luxurious life, I had plenty to live on. As a cast member, I had free passes to all the rides and was able to get passes at a discount for others if I wanted," she said.

Disney World was a unique working experience since it had a different approach to everything, Price said. Employees are called "cast members" and work-uniforms are called "costumes;" customers are called "guests" and their needs always come first, she said.

For example, if a guest wants pancakes at 10 p.m. when they are usually only sold in the morning, the cook will have to dig up pancake batter from the back of the kitchen to please the guest, she said.

Price lived with four roommates from Kansas, Nebraska, Oklahoma, and California. Disney's college program supplies the apartment complex for all its interns, she said.

"Not only did I meet people from all over the United States, I also met a lot of international students because they have an international exchange program there as well," she said.

Going to Disney World for college credit was not all fun and games for Price. She had to be ready to work in a kitchen by the crack of dawn five days a week, she said.

"I worked in a resort, not in the park itself. Since people spend all day at the park, the big meals are breakfast and dinner. I worked the breakfast shift so I would start making pancakes and waffles for people by 6 a.m.," Price said.

Price worked 40 hours a week at Disney World to accumulate the 400 hours of job experience needed to earn one hour of college credit in her major, she said. Although she could not attend other classes because of her internship, she sees the practical experience she received on the job was well worth all the effort she put into it.

Students who have internship experience on their resumes have definite advantages over those who do not, since employers tend to look for potential employees who have had experience in their work field, said Mary Douglas, director of placement services for the college's students.

Disney has worked with UH for four years in recruiting students from its hotel and restaurant management program, Douglas said. As far as recruiting students for internship positions, Disney works with departments other than hotel and restaurant management at UH as well, Douglas said.

Price is considering professional employment for Disney because she enjoyed working as an intern for Disney so much. One of her options includes working at Euro-Disney in an exchange program after she graduates; this program, however, is unavailable for college students because they would miss too much school, she said.

"I'm definitely going to consider applying (to work at Euro Disney) after I graduate because I think it would be great to go to Europe for

six months to a year," Price said.

RAPE VICTIM SETS RECORD STRAIGHT

BY MEAGAN MC GOVERN

DAILY COUGAR

A UH student who was recently raped on campus said if she could change things, "I wouldn't have come on campus by myself," and added she would recommend that no student ever walk alone on campus, no matter what time of day it is.

The student was attacked May 30 next to the UH Hilton. The assault happened at 3 p.m. on a quiet Saturday afternoon.

The student, a freshman biology major and not an incoming freshman as the police reported earlier, said she wanted to get the details of the incident corrected.

Although the police had reported most of the details correctly, she said, some facts were omitted. The assailant used and carried a knife, as well as the razor blade reported by police. He was wearing a black, pinstriped shirt, instead of the gray or blue previously reported, and she said UH police were called at midnight, not 10:30 p.m.

The student hadn't called the police at once, she said, because "I didn't really want to make a big issue of it, like it's getting to be." In fact, she said, "My friends had to drag me kicking and screaming. I really didn't want to go."

These details were not as important, she stressed, as catching the suspect is. She expressed dismay that she had seen composite pictures of the suspect only in limited areas of campus.

"I'm very upset," she said. "It's going to take a long time to get over this."