UH DRAMA FESTIVAL ENTERTAINS CHILDREN

BY KAREN SNELLING

DAILY COUGAR

Fifteen years of success proves that The Children's Theatre is not just for children.

To celebrate its 15th anniversary, the Children's Theatre Festival will be performing The Magic Pot and the Leprechaun by Bren Dubay from July 1 through July 17 and Yushi and The Thunder Dragon by Chuck Hudson from August 3 through August 16 at the UH Wortham Theater.

The Magic Pot and the Leprechaun takes place at Lynch Castle in County Galway, Ireland, during the great potato famine of the 1850's. Yushi and the Thunder Dragon is a Japanese fairy tale.

The festival has experienced a great amount of success every year since 1978 and has increased performances to meet public demand. Currently, more than 35,000 fans come each summer.

The focus of the festival centers on the development of new plays and programs for special interest groups, such as the disabled.

It has developed a program for the deaf called shadow performances. Performers in leotards stand at the side of the stage and sign to the audience and mime the action, Lisa McNiel, assistant box office manager, said.

Shadow performances of Yushi and the Thunder Dragon will be performed on August 14 and 16. They are co-produced by Illuminations...Theatre with the Deaf.

Although anyone can audition, most of the actors and actresses are professionals who come from all over, McNiel said.

There are two UH students performing in this season's performances. Christine McPeters plays Maggie Keegan in The Magic Pot and the Leprechaun and a tanuki in Yushi and the Thunder Dragon. Bronwyn Andrus plays the English lady, Lady Ashley, in The Magic Pot and the Leprechaun.

McNiel said rehearsals for these plays last approximately six weeks.

The festival began with June performances of the musical adaptation of Little Red Riding Hood by Sidney Berger and Rob Landes.

"We've had alot of positive response for Little Red Riding Hood," McNiel said.

According to McNiel, many satisfied fans have called to say how much they enjoyed the play and have made reservations for the upcoming shows.

The shows are held Monday through Friday at 10:30 a.m. and at 1 p.m. on certain days. Sunday performances are held at 2 p.m. Tickets are $4 for children and $5 for adults. People can get more information and make reservations by calling 743-2929.

The festival is a professional project of the UH drama department.

*******************************************************

`DREAM TEAM' CAUSES CUBAN NIGHTMARE

BY KEITH ROLLINS

DAILY COUGAR

The "Dream Team" posted its first nightmare against an overpowered and intimidated Cuba National Team. Final score, 136-57, enough said.

Sir Charles Barkley led all scorers with 22 points, mostly dunks, and Magic Johnson reappeared on the court for the first time since last season's all-star extravaganza, executing his assists like no other.

Despite having only six days to practice, Chuck Daly's team, which includes 11 NBA players and college representative Christian Laettner, took control early and cakewalked its way to victory.

The starting five, which included Johnson, Barkley, Michael Jordan, Larry Bird and The Admiral, David Robinson, brought the game under perspective early as they jumped to a sizable lead.

After they got winded, their replacements, UH-ex Clyde Drexler, Scottie Pippen, John Stockton, Karl Malone and Chris Mullin demonstrated their arsenal of talent.

Laettner came off the bench last, scoring nine points just days after being selected by the Minnesota Timberwolves as the first draft pick overall. The remaining pro, Patrick Ewing, sat out with a finger injury.

Drexler, who is the team's only link to UH, finished with 20 points in 18 minutes, enticing his hometown Portland fans, where the game commenced.

Overall, the team shot over 71 percent from the floor compared to Cuba's 34 percent.

Jordan seemed content to play a supporting role, shooting 2-of-6 from the floor, and Johnson was low scorer with four points, but added nine assists.

PORN STAR PINOCCHIO: WOODEN PUPPET OF SEX

BY JIM MOSLEY

DAILY COUGAR

Walt Disney's Pinocchio is nothing more than a child-abuse nightmare with Pinocchio being just a toy to everyone he meets.

From the opening scene, it is painfully apparent that this G-rated classic is a sick film about deviates and their obsessions.

Geppetto, a wood-carver, is an old pedophile who wishes for a little boy to fondle. This is apparent from viewing one of his clocks which shows a woman beating a little boy's bare bottom.

Pinocchio, a wooden puppet, is brought to life by a wicked fairy for the wood-carver's pleasure. Once Pinocchio is alive, Geppetto has him sleep in the same bed with him and his cat, thus giving him his first view of a distorted, sick world.

After that night of folly in Geppetto's bed, Pinocchio is sent off to school. On his way, he meets Honest John and his partner. John eagerly seizes on Pinocchio's problems and brings him to Stromboli, the puppet master, allowing Pinocchio to escape Geppetto's fetishes.

Pinocchio's elation is easy to see when he sings "I Got No Strings [To Hold Me Down]." One has to wonder what else Geppetto did to him after the lights went out that night!

Pinocchio is dealt another cruel blow when he learns that Stromboli is as sick as Geppetto. Stromboli imprisons him in a bird cage so he can't escape.

Pinocchio then summons his vagabond, simple-minded companion Jiminy Cricket to help him flee his bondage. But the cricket's feeble attempts to open the lock are useless. Then, by some great coincidence, the wicked fairy who granted Geppetto's wish, for a little boy to fondle, releases him.

Instead of clubbing her senseless for sentencing him to the sexual evils of the world, Pinocchio starts lying to her about how he got there. Thus, his nose grows five feet long. It must have been a turn-on for the fairy because she releases him.

After the escape, Pinocchio meets Honest John again. John sends him to Pleasure Island so he can get away from Geppetto's evil clutches.

Once on the island, Pinocchio has a wonderful time. He can smoke cigars, drink beer and do whatever he wants without having to fend off the sexual advances of others. But to his horror, he sees his friends turn into donkeys before his eyes. He is forced to flee, but before he can escape, he grows long ears and a tail.

When he escapes this island of terror, he is totally defeated and decides to return to Geppetto. Once at Geppetto's home, he finds the place vacant. Before Pinocchio can rejoice, the wicked fairy reappears and sends him to rescue Geppetto from a whale's stomach. So this poor, abused boy is sent out on another terrible journey.

Pinocchio is swallowed by the whale and helps Geppetto escape. During this effort, Pinocchio drowns, but since he is made of wood, he survives.

Once back at Geppetto's house, he is again placed in Geppetto's bed for another sexual foray. At this point, the wicked fairy comes to turn Pinocchio into a real little boy, thus giving Geppetto unlimited access to his pleasures.

Pinocchio is a film about forbidden sexual pleasure, and the movie industry would do well to consider rating it X rather than G.

DOWNTOWN SMOKERS BLOWIN' IN THE WIND

BY MELISSA NEELEY

DAILY COUGAR

Starting Aug. 15, students, faculty, staff and visitors going to UH-Downtown will have to go outside if they need to light up a cigarette.

UH-Downtown is becoming a smoke-free campus this summer to better the health of the campus community, assistant director of relations, Lloyd Matzner, said.

"I'm sure that there will be some smokers who will object to the policy, but it's for the overall health of the campus. We will be offering smoke-cessation classes and counseling for those currently smoking, but trying to kick the habit," Matzner said.

The classes and counseling sessions to aid smokers will begin in late July and early August, but students and faculty can come into the health center earlier to get into a no-smoking program, he said.

The initial visits will be free for students and $10 for staff.

Since UH-Downtown is comprised of only one building, any smoking-designated areas would essentially be smoke-filled rooms that would build and drift to other areas of the building, said Linda Warner, director of UH-Downtown's health center.

"There are many people who have allergies to smoke, and smokers are adjusting their habits in airplanes, restaurants and other buildings for them.

"There will be support groups for people to quit smoking because we just don't want to tell them to stop and not help them in any way," she said.

In the past, several students came into UH-Downtown's health center requesting help to quit smoking, Warner said.

Since the campus is now smoke-free, this will give many students and faculty the impetus to kick their habit, she said.

UH-Downtown was influenced by other universities around the nation and by corporations around Houston to become a non-smoking campus, he said.

Much literature has been published recently about the dangers of secondhand smoke to non-smokers, which cemented UH-Downtown's decision to become smoke-free, Matzner said.

UH-Clear Lake has been a non-smoking campus since last summer, and students and faculty have responded very favorably, said its director of health services, Joan Parker.

"We never received the flack that we were expecting (from smokers). We've had a lot of people going to the health center to find out about programs they can attend to quit smoking," she said.

UH-Downtown and UH-Clear Lake do not have special facilities, such as lobbies reserved for smokers. Instead, all smoking must be done outside the entrances of buildings.

A non-smoking program for UH-Central should also be considered, but the students in the residence halls should be taken into account, Billie Smith, director of the health center, said.

Smokers should be allowed to smoke in their dorm rooms with the approval of their roommates because their room is actually their home, Smith said.

"Having a non-smoking policy may discriminate against smokers, but you have to look at the general public's welfare, too," Smith said.

Some students at UH said certain policies of non-smoking on campuses and other areas were discriminatory.

"I think that generally, non-smokers' rights have been doubled and that smokers' rights have been cut in half. If we smokers choose to smoke, that's our prerogative," Lawrence Hemley, a senior communications major, said.

Hemley, however, said non-smokers' rights should not be infringed, but smoking students should be allowed to have smoking-designated areas inside of buildings.

"Originally, when laws were passed against people who smoke, there were clauses stating that smokers had to have designated areas. Somewhere in the legislation, those parts have been lost," Hemley said.

"I don't smoke, but I can understand why some students would get upset if they had to go all the way outside to do so. As long as students don't smoke near or in the classrooms, it doesn't bother me," said Amanda Leeson, a junior Russian studies major.

FROM RAVENOUS TO ROLAIDS, CAMPUS EATING IS A MUST FOR SOME HUNGRY STUDENTS

BY GRAM GEMOETS

DAILY COUGAR

"Mom, when do we eat?"

Grow up! You know your mommy has more important things to do. She has to hold down a job to pay for your books. Aren't moms great!

So why not help her out by feeding yourself. Just ask her for a few bucks, and you are set.

To help you eat, eat, eat, we have composed a sort of all-purpose restaurant review. Included are handy survival tips for dining that will take you from ravenous to Rolaids.

You're hungry. Class is two hours long. You've gotta strap on a quick feed bag or you'll die. So how do you graze on the go?

The UH Satellite is right there. A place where a young thoroughbred can jaw some cud and still make class. Near the Social Work Building and just a trot from Agnes Arnold Hall, the Satellite is centrally located.

Open for the summer, the Satellite orbits from 7 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Frequently called the "death star," the menu is a literal space odyssey.

If you've got the time, they serve all-you-can-eat pancakes from 7-10 a.m. for only $1.89. Or you can grab a bagel for about 80 cents.

If you're leaving class, the Satellite serves lunch, too. Hamburgers closely resembling soy protein with cheese substitute are a spacy treat for only $1.89.

Now, some people have classes in other areas, and we haven't forgotten about them. If you head near the UC and M.D. Anderson Library, then read on.

Over at the UC, we divide the men from the boys, partner. If ya need a little red-eye when you get to school, Coog's Cafe in the basement is just for you. Drown your never-ending sorrows on $3.50 pitchers or 99-cent single beers in this basement hideout.

You can even get your friends drunk on $12.50 pitchers of margaritas. If you do this, be sure and take me along -- I'm great in a crowd.

Or, if you're weary from that long day on the dusty trail, mosey on up to the American Cafe for a little grub. The entire cafe resembles a corral with several various eateries scattered throughout.

You can select from one of the many daily specials at this American bistro. The Italian buckaroo can suck down their special of the week: two pieces of pizza and a large drink for $3.50.

Ooh la la, real lunches served on real glass plates can be had at the UC cafeteria along the back wall of the American Cafe. This is where the elite meet to eat. A place where meat and potatoes means more than just fries with your Big Mac. Robin Leach would be proud.

Slightly off the beaten path and more like a dungeon than anything else, the Moody Towers Cafeteria is next on our list.

Here, it is not uncommon for baked chicken to start off the week, followed the next day by chicken pot pie and by Friday, chicken soup. It is amazing how durable and versatile toxic waste can be.

The only bright spots in this macabre den of torture are the bright, orange trays on which this ARA slop is piled. In fact, there is one counter worker who closely resembles the Grim Reaper.

Breakfast is the only palatable meal served in the cafeteria. After all, who could mess up an egg except a moron? Well, give them time.

It's a bird, it's a plane -- no, Itza Pizza! Faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive, Itza Pizza can spoil an appetite in a single bound.

This pizza bounces back chew after chew. After you eat, you're left wondering "what was that?" Maybe you would be better off never finding out.

So, while eating on campus, try and remember that food is relative. Mom makes it... she's a relative. If you were starving, you would eat a rodent... that's relative. Campus food is also relative... depending on where you go. Bon appetit.

JUNKIES MAINTAIN THEIR HIGH

BY JOHN GRIFFIN

DAILY COUGAR

Perhaps this year's presidential election has captured more of your attention. Perhaps the unsettling proposition of governments, bureaucracies and corporate machines mucking up the planet makes you want to prevent such an occurrence. Perhaps you're sick of the crap you see on TV and at the movies and the tripe you hear on commercial radio.

Perhaps you've heard of the Cowboy Junkies, and perhaps you haven't.

I could give you the standard, music-review pop and pabulum about how the band mesmerized and enthralled the capacity crowd at Rockefellers with an eclectic and ambiant performance punctuated by Margo Timmons' hypnotic lullaby vocals.

Or I could tell you how their live version of "Sweet Jane," more up-tempo than on The Trinity Session album, eclipses both the Velvet Underground's and Lou Reed's renderings. (Yes, Lou covered the track on a solo project.)

And maybe with some clever wordsmanship, I could convince you to go buy the new album or go see them in concert. Of course, you might not agree with me, dear reader, and might find my glowing recommendation completely off the mark, or not nearly glowing enough.

Entertainment reviews, like auto reviews, travel sections and even opinion pieces, are essentially free publicity and advertising which ultimately benefit the monolithic corporations whose products are being heaped upon consumerland.

Even in their purest forms, "journalism" such as this is nothing more than opinion. Anyone with a press kit and a decent vocabulary can do it. Or just a vocabulary.

The point of all this rambling is for you to examine your own committment to quality. The Cowboy Junkies have maintained a high standard of excellence on three outstanding albums, but nothing I tell you can make you understand that. All you can rely on is your own willingness to question established parameters.

It doesn't take much to critique someone else's work. It's desperately harder to be a critic of one's own work. But don't take my word for it. Hell, come write your own reviews at the Cougar. Just don't eat everything they feed you.

And yes, the Cowboy Junkies were wonderful.

HRM DEANS RESIGN AMID ALLEGATIONS

BY MEAGAN MCGOVERN

DAILY COUGAR

The dean and associate dean of the College of Hotel and Restaurant Management resigned Friday amid an extensive police investigation, an internal audit and a management review.

The resignations were accepted "in the best interest of the college and the university," UH President James Pickering said. The college has been under intense public scrutiny lately, largely due to an investigative report on Channel 13 news detailing allegations, including the misuse of funds and sexual harassment.

The original investigation centered on UH Hilton Manager Dennis Caylor and his ice-carving business that was allegedly operated out of the UH Hilton. Channel 13 reporter Wayne Dolcefino's report cited the alleged misuse of state property for personal reasons. Caylor allegedly used a university van and university employees to transport his ice sculptures.

Further problems arose, however, when Associate Dean David Hayes and Dean Joseph Cioch allegedly allowed Caylor to make restitution for the amount of funds used, Dolcefino said. Cioch and Hayes later became the subject of another investigation involving expense accounts.

According to Dolcefino's report, the food and entertainment expenses for Cioch and Hayes added up to more than $85,000 in a 28-month period. Dolcefino said some of the receipts are being investigated by police for possible falsification and the possibility that Cioch or Hayes received complimentary meals at Houston restaurants and turned in false receipts for those meals to be personally reimbursed.

The college lost $161,000 last year under Cioch, according to Dolcefino's report.

A routine audit of the college, originally scheduled for October, began in May because of the investigation, with results expected to be released next month. Police and university officials refuse to speculate on findings until the report is complete.

Although Caylor is still in place as manager, things will be changing at the school. The new dean, R. Hugh Walker, has already taken office and said while he will probably continue most of the plans already in place, he will do some things differently.

"I've only been here a few hours, though," he said. "It's a little early to start making plans."

A press release from President James Pickering said both Cioch and Hayes will continue to serve on the faculty of the college as faculty members.

Cioch said he was unable to say anything about the investigation, but said "I'm planning to teach in the college in the fall," and said he was currently taking vacation time he had accumulated.

A female faculty member in the college was sexually assaulted and filed charges last week with the district attorney's office, Dolcefino said, although no charges were filed within the university.

A sexual harassment seminar was held for the college last summer after rumors of sexual harassment arose.

A letter was recently sent to the UH community by Pickering asking victims of sexual harassment to file formal complaints.

Pickering said the good things that have been happening in the college must not be overlooked in the face of the current problems.

"There's no question that Dean Cioch has done a wonderful job. In the last six years, a number of very positive things were done under his supervision.

"I think you're always sorry when someone who has done a good job decides to do something else, but I think we're wise enough and experienced enough to know that life is full of changes," he said.

The College of Hotel and Restaurant Management, with 944 students, is regarded as one of the best in the country for the hospitality industry. During Cioch's period as dean, a new wing was added to the hotel school, complete with food preparation labs.

LEWIS MISSES 200m CUT; JUMP ONLY OLYMPIC EVENT

BY KEITH ROLLINS

DAILY COUGAR

As usual, Carl Lewis will go for the gold in the Olympics. But not as usual, he will compete in only one event, the long-jump.

Lewis was eliminated from the 100m, 200m and the 4<P4>100m at the 1992 U.S. Track Trials last week, events he's used to dominating in years past.

Lewis finished sixth in the 100m, which knocked him from the 4<P4>100m competition also, and fourth in the 200m. He qualified for the Olympic long-jump competition, finishing second behind world-record holder Mike Powell with a leap of 28 feet even.

Beauty came before age in this year's competition, allowing new faces like UH-ex Leroy Burrell, Mike Marsh, Dennis Mitchell and Baylor-ex Michael Johnson to make their mark in Olympic history.

In the 200m, Johnson started in the eighth lane, which is widely considered the hardest lane to win from, took the lead and never looked back.

Mike Marsh, who trains with Lewis and Burrell at UH's Robertson Stadium, finished second to notch his starting position. Marsh also finished fourth in the 100m, making him an alternate in that event and a participant in the 4<P4>100m relay.

Cougar alumni Burrell finished third in the 100m behind Mitchell and Mark Witherspoon to take the last qualifying place in that event.

In women's competition, current Cougar sprinter Michelle Collins lasted until the semi-finals in the 200m.

Collins was third in her preliminary heat and advanced before being eliminated.

The Coogs' representative in the 100m, Sam Jefferson, was unable to move on after his preliminary race.

Another emotional battle ensued when decathlete Dan O'Brien, of the popular Dan & Dave Reebok advertising slogan, no-heighted in the high-jump and had his day in the sun clouded.

O'Brien, who had cleared the 15' 9" height in practice and warm-ups, said it was due to the added pressure brought on by the attention.

Dave Johnson, the other decathlete in the shoe ad, won the trials and is favored in Barcelona in the high-jump.

Carol Lewis, Carl's sister, failed to qualify in her attempt for a second showing at the Olympics. Lewis was coming off a serious leg injury and was unable to recapture her original marks in the ladies long-jump competition.

UH STUDENTS TO DANCE OILER SHUFFLE

BY DEBORAH HENSEL

DAILY COUGAR

With the new, improved Houston Oiler Dance Team, director Myrna Smith said she is trying to set a trend.

"The Dallas Cowboys were the first team in the NFL to introduce cheerleaders," said Smith, a Derrick Doll for seven years. "We want to be the first NFL team with dancers."

When the team premieres at a pre-season scrimmage against Dallas July 25, 17 of the 36 dancers will be UH students, chosen from a field of 411 women.

The UH women have diverse backgrounds, yet all share a passion for dance. And, all are motivated to rise above the pom-pom image of the Derrick Dolls by performing in technically-demanding, street-dance routines.

"There's just a lot more to dance than most people think," junior PE major Maria Ong said. "People look at dancers and think `Oh, I can do that.' Dancers look at other dancers and think `Oh, how am I going to make my body do that?'"

Freshman Cougar Doll Josette Fuentez tried out for the team on her dad's recommendation. Fuentez, who started dancing at age three as a mascot for Davis High School, hopes to major in business this fall.

Suzy Clifton, another former Cougar Doll, is a junior majoring in health and dance education. Being a part of the team has taught her some management skills she hopes to use as a drill team instructor after graduation.

Another Cougar Doll, senior accounting major Sheri Pool, said she hopes to follow up with a masters degree in hotel and restaurant management after she graduates in December. However, she admitted this opportunity may open other doors.

"Ideally, I'd rather perform -- that's my love," Pool said.

Pool's roommate, senior Tracey Neal, is a kinesiology major who said her parents and boyfriend have been very supportive of her new role as an Oiler dancer.

"Actually, my dad and boyfriend have been fighting over who's going to get the two free game tickets," she said.

Incoming freshman Shenan (Shenandoah) Reed was a dance major at the High School for Performing and Visual Arts and is the reigning Miss Woodlands. At 18, she owns her own dance studio.

Reed, who has performed in Galveston in South Pacific, The Music Man and The Sound of Music, has long-term aspirations to test her dancing and vocal talents on Broadway.

Another incoming freshman, Mette Boving, hopes to double-major in political science and psychology before law school.

Boving, who has studied with the Royal Danish Ballet in Copenhagen, Denmark, the Boston Ballet and Ballet West of Salt Lake City, said she has a litmus test to tell if her status as an Oiler dancer is the main attraction for the guys she dates.

"The guy I'm dating now -- he thought it was pretty neat. On our third date, I told him I'd been kicked off. I wanted to see if he'd stick around or not," Boving said. "Now I know he's dating me for me and not for the pom-poms."

Junior education major Stephanie Davenport said dancing with the team means nine years of hard training has paid off.

"It's a chance to do something I love to do professionally," she said. "It's a high."

For Anna Wilson, a junior transferring to UH from Texas Tech in the spring, this is a way to network for her future career in international trade.

Susan Boldman, a senior in health and dance education, is a former Kilgore Rangerette who also decided to come home to finish school.

"This will be good experience for me and, hopefully, will help me get a job," she said. Senior Shannon Wykoff agrees.

"It looks awesome on a resume," said Wykoff, a hotel and restaurant management major who has taken ballet and jazz since kindergarten.

Two other former Cougar Dolls, senior education major Natalie Dunn and Jennifer Johnson, a freshman who will major in drama or business. Somehow, dance will be in her minor, Johnson said.

Thuy Hoang, a junior who switched from pharmacy to business, never had any formal dance training. Her boyfriend spotted the notice in the newspaper and encouraged her to try out.

"It showed me I can set a goal and reach it, if I try hard enough," Hoang said. "I tried very hard to get here. It builds confidence."

Two of the oldest team members are Allison Sliva and UH-Clear Lake senior Barbie Nutt -- both "thirtysomething." Sliva recently attained her masters degree in education and may return for a Ph.D in the spring of 1993.

After teaching English and journalism in high schools, Sliva admits it's a little strange to be dancing with peers of her students. The younger dancers are often incredulous about her age.

"I don't know what they think 29 and 30 are supposed to look like," Sliva said.

Nutt, a mother of two, who is majoring in health and human performance, went to the University of Hawaii on a Fine Arts scholarship before choreographing dinner shows for the Hilton Hawaiian Villages.

Kirsten Richnow, a May graduate who put herself through pharmacy school by teaching dance, said she may need to juggle her dancing schedule with her new job at Walgreen's.

However, Richnow summed up the way many of the Oiler dancers feel.

"I've always danced," she said. "I'll probably dance until I can't dance anymore."