ZONING PLANS SEEN AS COMMUNITY SALVATION, HOUSING

Daily Cougar

A future zoning ordinance could significantly affect bordering areas that may be demarcated to create zoning districts near UH.

"It will tend to stabilize, hopefully improve, the areas surrounding campus, and that would make for a positive situation," said James Berry, UH System associate vice chancellor of Facilities, Planning and Construction.

Berry said he will meet with Joshua Hill, his counterpart at TSU, and with representatives of the Planning and Development department to determine what impact the final ordinance might have on the campuses and surrounding communities.

A memo summarizing the goals, based on findings indicated in such documents as Position 3, At-Large City Council member Jim Greenwood's Ad Hoc Task Force's (ITAL) Proposed Goals for Planning and Zoning in Houston, (ITAL) LUSC Mission II: Final Report on Goals: Report to Mayor's Land-Use Strategy Committee, the Vision Steering Committee's (ITAL) Visions for Greater Houston and the Regional Urban Design Assistance Team's (ITAL) Houston R/UDAT '90 report include, and are not limited to, these zoning objectives:

*To support, preserve and enhance the integrity of all neighborhoods

*To empower the people of Houston and protect individual property rights

*To ensure that future growth proceeds in an orderly, planned and fiscally responsible manner

*To ensure that through intergovernmental cooperation and coordination, public services are developed within a comprehensive development concept and are supportive of community development objectives

*Establish a commitment to the built environment through adequate funding for the maintenance and rehabilitation of aging infrastructure

Greenwood, who spearheaded the effort to create a zoning ordinance, said the final ordinance, which will probably reach the hands of council members during the first quarter of 1993, will include a feasible zoning plan.

Included among the five basic zoning districts that will be further explained in the final ordinance are: "Industrial," "Open," which allows for extensive development with fewer restrictions, "Urban Neighborhood," which includes single-family residential, apartment and commercial uses, "Single-Family Residential" and "Residential Only."

"If a zoning ordinance were put in effect, it could prevent a liquor store from being put in an area near a school or church," Greenwood said.

Matt Thibodeaux, the Principal Planner for area 5, which includes the campuses of UH and Texas Southern University, said whether or not the schools will fall into a special district has not yet been ascertained. Through his discussions with members of area civic clubs about zoning, Thibodeaux said their main concerns are with "the fraternity houses." He said, "Hopefully, we can work out a plan so the university can grow along with the surrounding neighborhoods."

Nevertheless, one former real estate appraiser is suspicious of the Planning and Zoning Commission's motives. Of the recently passed, interim zoning ordinance, Meredith James, chairman of the Board of Trustees of the American Property Rights Association said it is "the most foolish thing I've ever seen." James, a former advanced real estate appraisal instructor at UH (from 1954 to 1959 and in the early 1970's), said there is no justification for any claim that businesses in any given neighborhood decrease the value of homes in the neighborhood.

James said under the guise of neighborhood enhancement and city preservation, the Planning and Zoning Commission is advancing a cause that conceals a hidden agenda. "What they (the PZC) are going to do is raise the cost of living in Houston. A lack of zoning has maintained lower rents," James said. With about 20 percent of the total land in Houston being devoted to residential use, the remaining percentage consists of non-residential use properties, he said.

"Under the interim ordinance, to convert any house for non-residential purposes requires a $250 business permit; the ultimate decision of whether to approve of a business is left to the sole discretion of Donna Kristaponis (director of Planning and Development for Houston)," James said. The interim ordinance indicates "It shall be illegal to use any dwelling unit for any non-residential purposes."

Recently, Council members Ben Reyes and Ernest McGowen have said the racial make-up of the powerful Planning and Zoning Commission does not reflect the demographic representation in Houston and will not (if it continues in its present state) make suggestions for a final ordinance that will address the needs and concerns of all groups.

"Zoning is going to touch everybody in a very personal way," said Melba Drake, a member of the Zoning Strategies Committee and chairwoman of the city government committee of the League of Women Voters.

"I think a great deal of care is being given so that the restrictions do not impede progress, but guide progress."

*******************************************************

ABORTION RIGHT STILL ENSURED BY COURT DECISION

By Marcia Marbury

Daily Cougar

Amid the ongoing arguments between pro-lifers and pro-choicers, a

so-called win was granted last week to pro-choicers by four men and a woman to keep abortion legal.

A majority (5-4) of U.S. Supreme Court justices --- including two Reagan-Bush appointees, Justices Anthony M. Kennedy and David H. Souter --- ruled in favor of extending the 1973 Roe vs. Wade decision to individual privacy from marital privacy.

However, the panel, made up of eight men and one woman, also upheld a Pennsylvania restrictions requiring teenagers to get one parent's consent for an abortion, and mandating a 24-hour waiting period as well.

"I'm glad Roe vs. Wade was not overturned. I don't think making abortion illegal will solve the abortion problem. They (women) will still choose," said Marla Schmitt, a UH MIS senior, pro-lifer and president of the College Republicans at UH.

UH Biology Sophomore Tayo Addo said, "I think I like it. The former (Roe decision) was too general, too open. The new law is the best we've come to in a long time."

A pro-choice advocate and president of the National Organization for Women at UH, Cathy Nelson-Archer, said women shouldn't have a choice because it "should be a fundamental right."

"Deciding to have an abortion has to be one of the most difficult decisions of your life. As long as I'm required to be an incubator, no one should tell me what to do. Ever," Nelson-Archer, a psychology major, said.

Pro-choicer Ahmad Shiek, a UH graduate student, said he agrees with Nelson-Archer.

"It's a God-given right for her to deal with her body however she wants," Shiek said.

"It's not a government issue. It's an individual issue," Barbara Baldwin, a UH senior, added. However, the pro-choicer said if she became pregnant, her decision to have an abortion would depend upon the circumstances.

Circumstances are one of the reasons Luan Pham, a pro-choicer and electrical engineering senior, said women should be able to choose to have an abortion.

"When you think you're going to have a baby, you have to think you can take care of it. Women have the right to choose because it's their baby," he said.

Pro-choice advocate David Hoth, a UH property master, said abortion clinics "should be available," but only in cases of rape, incest and/or life-threatening situations.

Addo said he agrees.

"Abortion can't be classified as pro-life or pro-choice. Certain factors must be considered," he said.

"If the fetus is biologically defective or will medically affect the woman, a woman should be allowed to terminate the pregnancy. But a specific point (during pregnancy) should be determined when life begins, and an abortion should be illegal," said the future pediatrician.

Addo said through books, instructors and class lectures, he has learned that once women are at least two months pregnant, a fetus has developed to a point that if the woman gave birth to a premature infant, the baby may live. The infant could live a normal life, he said.

For New York assemblyman George Michaels, his political life ended when he cast his vote in favor of an 87-year-old New York state bill repealing the law banning abortions two decades ago.

Michaels said in an interview with Hillary Appelman of the Associated Press that he was told by the local party leaders not to vote for the repeal of the abortion ban, and he pledged not to, despite his feeling that abortion should be allowed in some cases.

Michaels said, "I would vote 'no,' hoping the bill would pass. I was not doing the right thing."

But when it came down to it, and all the votes were tallied at 74-74, "I was hoping somebody would switch; that it wouldn't be George Michaels," he said.

But Michaels said he changed his vote. "I knew my career was finished," he said.

Although the abortion ruling has been expanded, some fear in the near future, especially if Bush is re-elected, the right to have an abortion will be banned.

The ruling is "showing the court is eroding Roe vs. Wade ," said UH senior and pro-choice advocate Andrew Monzon, president of the College Democrats at UH.

Monzon said the three-liberal-and-six-conservative Supreme Court panel should have overturned the Pennsylvania ruling.

People need to become aware that some individual freedoms are in danger of being taken away, he said.

BLAZE SPREADS LIKE WILDFIRE

By Amey Mazurek

The Daily Cougar

Firefighting officials suspect arson in a six-alarm fire that devastated a warehouse at the intersection of Live Oak and Dallas near Chinatown early Wednesday evening.

No one was in the building at the time, and no injuries were reported.

According to Houston Police officer G. L. Fontenot, the warehouse was closed for only 15 minutes when the owner's fire alarm was activated.

District 8 Fire Chief L. W. Tyra noticed the smoke after checking on a false alarm at the Exxon building downtown. He eventually called in a six-alarm fire because it had spread quickly --- only about 200 or 300 square feet weren't blazing by the time firefighters were alerted --- and the heat index outdoors was 100 degrees. Firefighters worked in three shifts to avoid heat exhaustion.

Tyra praised Houston firefighters for keeping the rapidly spreading fire from the adjacent warehouses. The high heat index, a fair southwest wind and dry conditions fueled the fire, in which the heat was intense enough to melt part of a metal, unloading-dock door.

He surmised that furniture wood, paint and varnish inside the warehouse also fueled the fire.

Tyra also said the owner was "a half-mile down the road" when he noticed the fire.

When asked, Houston Fire Chief Eddie Corral confirmed that this fire was the latest of four suspected arsons in this area, the Fourth Ward.

Two businesses within the warehouse, owned by Helmsley Spear, fell under the flame: Chairs & Tables and Weber Supply.

Twelve fire trucks, four ambulances and a constantly varying number of police cars lined the streets surrounding the warehouse and provided an extra light show for onlookers.

LEWIS RECEIVES REALITY CHECKS

by Keith Rollins

Daily Cougar

Reality checks were in order for Carl Lewis Wednesday while he was a guest celebrity at a local camp for children with diabetes. Not only for the children, but also for himself.

Lewis, who recently lost his bid to three-peat in the 100 meters, 4x100m relay and 200m at the U.S. Track Trials in New Orleans, was there in order to give self-esteem and determination to the kids.

Not comparing the severity of diabetes to sports losses, Lewis has had to overcome some of his own misfortunes in the last month, also.

"I basically ran into a wall called life this year. You can either go on and be a good person, or you can go home and cry," Lewis said.

Luckily, Lewis will be able to extend his Olympic competition in the long-jump, an event he has dominated until recently. World- record holder Mike Powell is the favorite in Barcelona and finished before Lewis at the trials.

"It's time to concentrate and get busy in the long-jump," Lewis said.

His fall in the sprinting events was, as Lewis said just days after the competition's end, due to a viral infection. His sickness made him feel 'wrong' and tired.

"Going into the competition, I felt a little tired, but I thought I could rest up. After the first round, I knew I wasn't right," Lewis said.

"It's like a lot of people; I felt invincible, I got sick and lost."

After extensive testing, Lewis announced that the problem had been identified and that he was already taking antibiotics and feeling better.

"I've been to more doctors this last week than in my whole life put together. I have one more test tomorrow, and I'll be ready for Barcelona."

Lewis has already decided to prolong his career until at least the World Championships in 1993 to show the public that his recent, poor performances at the trials were due to sickness and not age.

"The whole thing is if I felt well or didn't feel well, everyone is going to say my performance was due to my age, even though I ran well 10 months ago. People don't regress from 9.8 to 10.2 seconds in 10 months," Lewis said.

"I feel my best is the best ever, and I will show people that in the Olympics and after that, too."

Just like the children with diabetes Lewis saw, who have to 'compete' with their disease, Lewis will also have to compete with something he was immune to for so long: losing.

"I can either put a bullet to my head, or go to the Olympics," Lewis said. Adios, Carl.

NL WEST DIGEST

by Jason Luther

After one of the darkest periods in Houston Astros history, there just may be a light at the end of the tunnel---a light to be made possible by controversial MLB Commissioner Fay Vincent's decision to realign the two National League divisions.

Barring a win in federal court by the owners of the Chicago Cubs, who are challenging the decision by the Commish, the two current division leaders, Cincinnati and Atlanta, will be replaced by Chicago and St. Louis, beginning next season.

A reversal in court is unlikely, considering no team has ever won a court decision over any baseball Commissioner, and it is against the Major League Agreement to sue a baseball Commissioner.

Although the Cubs claim in the lawsuit that the Commissioner violated the Major League Agreement by realigning the teams, Vincent's stance that it is his right to act in "the best interest of baseball" will likely hold up in court.

The decision was supposedly made to accommodate 1993's arrival of two new expansion teams, the Colorado Rockies and the Florida Marlins. The Rockies will join the "New West" while the Marlins will go to the East.

The expansion teams cannot be overlooked in the new league order, however, considering they will be able to choose from a wealth of unprotected players from around the league. Each existing team will only be able to protect 15 players in the first round of the expansion draft. After that, they can protect five more.

The crux of the situation is that both expansion teams will be able to acquire both youth and experience to build their respective franchises.

But with the Reds and the Braves gone, who by season's end will have likely combined for three straight division titles, the West would seemingly be more competitive throughout.

Also in the Astros' favor is the fact that they have played much more competitively this year.

They have pulled out of the cellar, and they even moved ahead of San Francisco into fourth place for a brief stint.

The 'Stros have the third best home record (26-18) in the N.L., behind who else but Cincinnati (25-8) and Atlanta (27-15).

However, the Astros also have the worst record away (12-27) of any N.L. team. This is not encouraging, considering the Astros will spend the entire month of August on the road due to the Republican National Convention.

I guess the idea was more appealing last season when the 'Stros' level of play was about as exciting as a George Bush speech.

But this season, it just doesn't seem prudent.

Admittedly, the Astros have the worst pitching staff in the West, but the offense is one of the most exciting in the league, and the defensive unit is starting to gel.

Biggio (.286, 18 SB), Finley (.283, 22 SB, 10 3B) and Caminiti (.307) have each posted numbers worthy of All-Star consideration while Pete Incaviglia, Jeff Bagwell and Luis Gonzalez have all provided adequate power of late.

Perhaps the most notable change from last season has been the emergence of Eric Anthony, second in both home runs (8) and RBIs (39) behind Bagwell. However, Anthony has played in 20 fewer games and has 112 fewer at bats than Bagwell.

If Anthony were to maintain his current pace, he would have 20 home runs and 91 RBIs by season's end.

If the Astros can continue to improve offensively and pick up some starting pitching, they just may seriously compete in the "New West."

ROLLING FOR THE GOLD

By Stefen Manhard

Daily Cougar

Jake Klementich will literally be rolling into Barcelona on the heels of UH-ex's Carl Lewis, Leroy Burrell and Mark Witherspoon.

Klementich, who is a U.S. soccer para-olympian confined to a wheelchair, will compete in Spain three weeks after the regular Olympics have take place.

The UH senior philosophy major will be participating on the American soccer team for the first time in his career. He earned his spot on the national team after being awarded a gold medal on the Texas State Soccer Team.

"I'm really excited about getting the opportunity to represent my country as a para-Olympian in Barcelona," Klementich said.

Klementich lost partial use of his arms and legs in a tragic car accident, but did not let this stand in his way of completing his Olympic dream.

Besides competing, Klementich is also involved with the Houston Challengers, an athletic program that provides coaching and training for disabled athletes.

"Besides winning gold, silver andbronze medals, there are a lot of other great prizes available, like pride," Klementich said.

The Para-Olympic Game represent the highest point of athletic challenge and achievement for disabled athletes.

Klementich will be leaving for Barcelona on August 26.

MFA INTERNS GET TASTE OF CULTURE

By Melissa Neeley

Daily Cougar

This summer, two UH students are not spending their vacation months in an exotic tropical country like Jamaica or the Bahamas, but instead are working over 40 hours a week in a museum.

Sounds dull? These students will tell you a different story. "I like to have a lot to do, and I heard that if you work in the museum's public relations department, you run around and have a lot of deadlines. I love the pace of it," Engeline Tan, an art history major who won an internship at Houston's Museum of Fine Arts, said.

Interns, for example, assist museum curators, help organize future exhibits, design and install computer graphics, work to promote exhibits, and teach workshops to children.

Tan applied last spring for one of the minority scholarships that the museum was offering to students from all over the nation for the summer, she said. When Tan applied for the internship, she was only required to state which museum department she was interested in working at and the reasons behind her choice, she said.

The judges also wanted a reference letter from one of her teachers, but internship approval was not based on grades alone, said Tan, who graduated this summer Summa Cum Laud.

"Museums don't have that much money to spare unless they happen to be the Smithsonian. But it really makes it up through the people who work there because they are so incredibly friendly. They emphasize on being people-oriented and I like that," she said.

Tan is planning to use her museum public relations experience when she returns home to find a job at her home in Indonesia.

Museum officials encouraged Tan and the other internship recipients to get together to generate new ideas about the museum, she said. She and the other four students who received scholarships have become friends and often go out during lunch breaks or after work, she said.

Sometimes she and the other interns are allowed to go to a museum opening or a dinner party to celebrate an opening: "That's the glamorous part of our job," she said.

Tan Le, a graphics communications major, also interns at Houston's Fine Art Museum; he applied for the position after seeing a poster in the art office. Le works in the graphics department of the museum and sets up all the graphics that relate to the museum exhibits, he said.

"My hours are kind of weird because I set up exhibits. I have to do my work before the museum opens, or after it closes. There are always people in and out (of the museum) and it's difficult to do work if kids are running around everywhere," he said.

Le was surprised that he received the internship because he thought more students would be chosen in other parts of the country, he said. Le found out later, however, that students from local universities like UH or TSU were given first priority, he said.

Tan said that one of the greatest things about the job is working with the other interns: "We're each from other departments so when we meet to discuss things about the museum, we're really like a microcosm. We can ask each other personal questions about how each department works," he said.

The museum heavily structures the working environment of the interns working there, but they also do their jobs outside the building, he said. Beth Schneider, education director of the museum, makes sure that the interns are exposed to Houston area artists, he said. Whether students plan on continuing their work in a museum or elsewhere in their fields, they will have connections to prominent artists in the community, he said.

The internship is targeted to minority students because Houston's Museum of Fine Arts believes that museums need a diverse work staff, Schneider said. Also, internships provide a practical means for undergraduate students to find experience in their field, she said.

"People from different backgrounds work in the museum because audiences and art are so diverse and come from all over the world. It's all representative," Schneider said.

Getting an internship at a museum does not mean that you have to have an art or art-related major. There are various departments in the museum which require its workers to be talented in a variety of fields, she said.

For example, in the public relations department, students must be able to write well, she said. In the fund-raising department, people who have business or marketing background are preferable, she said.

The interns are paid $2,500 for 10 weeks of work, she said. The museum will offer scholarships to minority students next summer and they start working in early June, Schneider said. The application deadline will be at the end of January and people are notified if they have received it by the beginning of May, she said.

SCHILT'S EXTENDED TERM TO PROVIDE 'STABILTY'

by Rhonda Smith

Daily Cougar

Until the year 2000, UH will continue to receive the leadership of Chancellor Alex Schilt, due to the Board of Regents' decision last month to renew his contract.

Schilt has been the chancellor for all four universities in the UH System since October 1989. The eight-year extension keeps Schilt for more than 10 years.

Schilt has previously approached his work with "vigor and dedication," said Board of Regents Chairman John Cater.

Schilt has also "guided the Creative Partnerships Campaign to its current level of success," Cater said. The campaign is a private fund-raising effort to help the UH System meet academic priorities. As of March, $201 million was raised, which is 57 percent of its goal.

Schilt has recognized the role of the UH System in the community "as a vital service organization, an important cultural resource and a hard-working partner in the area's social and economic development," Cater said.

"It's important for an organization as dynamic and complex as the UH System to experience stability in leadership," he added.

Schilt appointed all four current UH presidents, which the board approved. "The board is seeking some form of administrative stability, and he offers that," said Rich Levy, spokesman for the Board of Regents.

Schilt has been through one legislative session and will go through four more. This may enable UH to develop one coherent set of goals. With one set of goals for an extended period of time, strategies can be developed to deal with whatever happens, Levy said.

Schilt's original contract was to expire in October 1995. During the last Board of Regents' meeting, the fifth one this year, the extension was made to September 30, 2000.

Apparently, the board made the decision "to promote the further growth and progress of the UH System and reaffirm our belief in the value of continuity and strong leadership," Cater said.

Most terms of today's university leaders average four years. The length is a decline in the last 20 years due to the new pressures of the job.

DREAMS: HARD TO REACH

College Press Service

New York - College students know the American dream is tougher to attain today than it was a generation ago, says a new study by Roper College Track.

According to a survey of 1,200 full-time undergraduates at 100 campuses throughout the country, some students believe that the days of finding a solid job, establishing a secure financial base and purchasing a two-car garage and swimming pool are gone.

Twenty-two percent of college seniors said the American Dream is "not really alive," compared with 27 percent who said it is "very much alive."

The remainder, 53 percent, said the concept is "somewhat alive." Two-thirds of the seniors polled said it would be more difficult for their generation to achieve the American Dream than the generation before.

"The system is letting them down," said Stuart Himmelfarb, vice president of Roper College Track, who said the survey explored lifestyles, attitudes and consumer behavior of college students.

"Their expectations are being dashed. Many are going to graduation without a job offer in their pocket, and returning home to live rather than finding a place of their own."

The poll's findings concluded that in 1991, 60 percent of college seniors were concerned about finding a job in their chosen field.

In 1989, 47 percent of college seniors were worried about finding work.

In spite of the tough job market, students surveyed were "ultimately optimistic" about finding a job, though they were pessimistic about the general state of the nation.

"Many are being very resourceful in coping with this job market," he said.

Students surveyed express concern about the environment, public education, moral and ethical standards and the health care system.

'MOTOR-VOTER' PLAN URGED

(CPS) - A new "moter-voter" initiative that would allow citizens to register to vote at the same time and place they apply for a driver's license is attracting the young, the poor and minorities, according to a new study from George Washington University.

But these registrations may have little or no effect on the electorate unless they are accompanied by an aggressive voting drive, researchers said.

The study, conducted by Susan L. Wiley, a political scientist at George Washington University, analyzed the registration and voting records of more than 300,000 citizens of the District of Columbia (D.C.), which instituted the program three years ago.

While the "moter-voter" registrants accounted for more than 40 percent of all new registrants in D.C., Wiley found that many registrants did not vote.

On May 20, the U.S. Senate passed legislation requiring that states allow their citizens to register to vote while obtaining a driver's license. The sponsors hope the legislation will stimulate greater participation in the electoral process.

Similar bills have failed to gain approval from both houses in the past, and President Bush may veto the legislation even if it is passed in the House. Moter-voter opponents say the initiative is too expensive and promotes greater registration fraud.

DOGS AND FRIENDS AS PERSONAL SAVIORS?

By Amey Mazurek

Daily Cougar

A three-hour trek to Austin with the Rev. Jay Hova 4 X 4, Rev. Carl X, Rodney Perkins and yours truly deposited the four of us at Emo's for a Church of the Subgenius "devival," a night of wild abandon dedicated to the church's figurehead, J.R. Bob Dovvs.

Yet, back in 1985, on of the Subgenius preachers killed Bob at a Los Angeles devival. Some Subgeniuses say only one bullet killed him. Others contend that videotaped evidence reveals the trajectory of several bullets, that multiple assassins killed Bob as part of a global conspiracy, and the preacher was simply a smokescreen.

Does this theory sound like any 60's historical event?

The Rev. Ivan Stang funded the Church of the Subgenius on "dollars and cents and a sense of humor" in Dallas in the early 80s. Eyepopping graphic and mindnumbing concept adorn its propaganda stickers, fliers and posters.

"....It is madness to accept any one 'personal savior'----even Dobbs----as a permanent guide," writes Stang in the Book of Subgenius. "Perhaps 'Bob's greatest invention is the concept of SHORT DURATION PERSONAL SAVIORS, or 'Shourdurpersavs' in Tibetan.

The true Sub accepts into his heart, as his own personal savior, anyone or anything with which he happens to be impressed with at the moment. Shordurpersavs change from hour to hour, from whim to whim.

It could be the hero of a movie you just saw, the author of a book a bottle of Thunderbird, a good pal, a dog, a sex object...They change so fast that it never gets embarrassing; you aren't inclined to 'proselytize' them off on disinterested others who will later laugh at you; you know their effects will wear off in minutes --- although the very idea is unthinkable while under the influence. One need not mention them at all---a superb tenet, since one is sometimes deeply ashamed for having a particular, unsavory Shordurpersav: some can be Personal Saviors and False Prophets at the same time."

The doctrines of the Subgenius include "Original Slack." A global conspiracy of corporate vampire "pinks" and "normals" threaten to take Slack and sell it back. The Subgeniuses naturally want to hold on to it.

Devival proceedings lack formality. Virtually anyone dlaiming to be a Subgenius reverend can take the stage. Trixter Shaman is the first preacher. He talks about naming a central part of his body "Larry" and the two adjacent parts "Curly" and "Moe."

"Instead of watching porno flicks," Shaman said, "I watched the Three Stooges."

Out of our group, only Jay Hova rants onstaage at Emo's. After a few minutes of selling his own "Bob" T-shirts and spewing spontaneous babble about Bob, the emcee, Meekus Mobley, shouts, "Shut up!" from the wings. Jay sold 10 out of the 15 shirst he had printed himself.

During a break in the ranting, a guy dressed as a gladiator spreads tarp over the floor. A few minutes later, two guitar-weilding gladiators and a third wielding a microphone take fornt stage. While torturing their instruments, the singing gladiator slashes the others with a fake razor bursting blood capsules as red liquid dribbles down. The band called themselves, not surprisingly, Gladiators for Bob.

The proceedings wound down after the last band, Jaws of Life (not nearly as visually inspiring as the gladiators, but better music.

*