SALARY ADJUSTMENTS HIT HOME

By Meagan McGovern

Daily Cougar

A plan that could cost UH $1.6 million in faculty funding cuts was agreed to by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board last week.

"It's going to hurt us," UH President James Pickering said. "$1.6 million, that's a lot of money."

The board approved a new formula for the computation of faculty salaries in a unanimous decision.

The new formula redistributes faculty salaries, giving some Texas schools an increase and some a decrease in overall funding for faculty.

UH would receive a cut of 1.9 percent. Texas Women's University, with cuts of 7.2 percent, had the biggest loss.

"There were some winners and some losers," Skip Szilagyi of the president's office said. "UH was one of the top four losers. All of the schools that were hit hardest were the major comprehensive urban institutions. Our point of contention is that they (the board) did not take into account the mission of our school, that we're here to serve the needs of the community."

Most of the funding redistribution was the result of a shift in funding from graduate to undergraduate faculty, said Walter Guttman, director of Research and Planning for the THECB.

A study committee was set up to investigate the average faculty salaries around the country, Guttman said. After the study was completed, the formula was used to change the allocation of salaries.

The new formula, if accepted by the Legislature in its next session, will be used to determine how much funding each school receives, Guttman said.

"The formula was based on 19 program areas in three levels: graduate, professional and undergraduate," Guttman said. "This gets very complicated, but overall, what resulted was that out of $800 million total involved in faculty salaries, $22 million was shifted from doctoral programs to undergraduate programs.

"The amount of money was the same, it was just redistributed."

Pickering said in response to the new formula, "I think it's all well and good to provide more money for undergraduate education and those institutions which, by their mission, are designed to deliver undergraduate education. By the same token, no one, and this includes the Coordinating Board, is arguing that graduate education or professional education is over-funded.

"(They decided) that funds should be moved from graduate and professional education to undergraduate education. Because we are the institution in the state with the greatest percentage of graduate and professional to undergraduate, we're being asked to pay for their decision."

UH has one of the highest ratios of graduate and professional students to undergraduate students -- 11,000 to 22,000 -- in the state.

Guttman said the new funding distribution did not necessarily mean there would be budget cuts.

"If the Legislature approves an increase in funding overall, then this will only be a cut in the increase," he said.

Some schools benefitted from the redistribution, receiving an increase in funding. Texas A & M at Galveston was the biggest winner, with an increase of 10.7 percent. Texas A & M at Austin received a 4.2 percent increase.

"We are not cutting salaries. This is only round-one of the legislative budget," Szilagyi said. "There are no cuts being contemplated because of this."

He said UH would find a way to avoid cutting salaries in a reshaping exercise being done by the University Planning Committee in August. "This is just round-one of a rough legislative session. The bell has just rung."

He said the faculty salary plan did not take into account the individuality of each institution.

"There's the same criteria for all institutions. Our mission as an urban school is not taken into account. This is going to be hard to swallow."

Crosby King contributed to this story.

*******************************************************

GUATEMALANS HELPED BY UH RELIEF

By Rhonda Smith

Daily Cougar

With donations from faculty, students and friends, three UH students will begin their journey Wednesday to bring donated medical supplies to San Cristobal, Totonicopan, in Guatemala.

Jennifer Varela, Rosie Perez and Melissa Kubala worked long hours Friday and Saturday at Tri-City Regional Hospital in Pasadena, a big contributor, packing supplies for shipment.

The three, all senior sociology majors, became increasingly interested in Guatemala through previous classes with sociology Professor Nestor Rodriquez, who does annual research there.

Originally, the students planned to accompany Rodriquez on his fifth annual research trip to the area, but after seeing a video of conditions in the western highlands of Guatemala, they decided to do more than just visit.

Their destination is a small, but busy clinic in San Cristobal, which presently operates with only one thermometer and a blood pressure cuff. The clinic serves 70 people a day from surrounding villages, mostly women and children.

During their 11-day visit, the students plan to organize the clinic and orient personnel with the equipment. Perez, who is a registered nurse, plans to help organize the facility.

The townspeople are extremely excited about adding 200 thermometers and a dozen blood pressure cuffs to their meager collection.

The town has organized a committee to aid the students in transporting the supplies on the four-hour drive that lies between San Cristobal and the Guatemala City airport.

"We are bringing basic medical equipment like scopes and needles. The clinic has been sterilizing needles to use over," Varela said. Other supplies include hospital beds, incubators, crutches and splints.

The students simply asked several private practicing doctors in the Houston area to donate out-of-date or replaced equipment, and the response was very positive.

Art Minquez, vice chairman of Tri-City Regional Hospital, provided storage space at his hospital for the growing collection.

"Houston has strong ties with Guatemala since many of the immigrants who arrive in our city from Central America are from Guatemala," Varela adds.

Mayor Bob Lanier's office has signed a proclamation announcing July 25 as San Cristobal Day.

The students will present a framed proclamation to the mayor of the Guatemalan community on Saturday.

The $1,100 the students collected from friends, faculty and students is being used to cover the cost of shipping the supplies to Guatemala. The students are each covering their own costs to Guatemala.

OPINIONS ON PEROT DROPPING-OUT DIFFER

By Marcia Marbury

Daily Cougar

Texas billionaire Ross Perot has taken his name out of the hat for this year's presidential election.

During a 30-minute press conference on national television Thursday morning at his Dallas headquarters, Perot said, "I have an obligation to do the right thing. I don't have a desire to be president of the United States."

While Perot said his decision was based on good facts and not emotions, many people commented on his withdrawal from the race.

"I think he's a quitter. If I were a Perot supporter, I would feel stranded," Maria Schmit, president of the UH College Republicans, said.

Graduate student Judith Andrews said "I think it's disappointing. Perot would have been able to do something for the economy."

But Rubin Garcia, a UH business major, said, "I had a feeling he wouldn't hang in there. He's not a politician; he is a businessman."

One of the reasons James Gentry, a Perot volunteer in Dallas, said he believes Perot could have helped eliminate one of the major problems in the U.S. -- a $400 billion deficit -- is because Perot is an "analytical businessman."

"I don't accept it (Perot's decision). We had a deal, and I'm living up to my end. If we get him (Perot) on the ballot, I believe he will hold up to his end of the deal," Gentry said.

However, UH Professor and political analyst Richard Murray said this is not out of character for Perot because "he builds and doesn't come through. He (Perot) was surprised how rough it could be," Murray said.

Andrew Monzon, president of the UH College Democrats, said, "Perot realized politics is a big boy's game."

In addition to Perot's decision to cut short his presidential quest, he shortened his term of service in the U.S. Navy.

However, Perot said to media personnel during the conference that although he has plans now to return to being a private citizen, "I'm not in this for ego, fun or gratification. It will take unity, focus and the ability to work in tandem" to get the U.S. back on track."

Before Perot quit the race, Lee Preimesberger, a UH College Libertarian, said, "What I think I liked most is Perot's running helped bring the country out of a two-party system. He (Perot) brought something new to the race."

Preimesberger anticipates on voting for Alaska Senator Andre Marrou for president.

Murray, a UH political science professor since 1966, said we're "back to the traditional Democrat vs. Republican race." More than 750,000 Perot volunteers must make a decision to support either Arkansas governor Bill Clinton, President Bush or neither .

But Murray said he predicts Clinton will receive a fair share of Perot supporters, the president will regain the white-male conservatives and/or Perot followers won't vote.

Monzon said he thinks it would be hypocritical for people to return to Bush. "These aren't great days for him."

Murray said he agrees with Monzon. "Bush can't win the country on his accomplishments as president. His accomplishments were foreign policy affairs and the Gulf war, but that won't drive people's voting decision."

ARTISTS DON GAGS TO PROTEST RECENT INFRINGEMENTS

By Amey Mazurek

Daily Cougar

Houston artists plan to wear black gags during the Republican National Convention to raise public awareness of the Bush administration's efforts to undermine freedom of expression.

Known as "GAG," they usually meet on Wednesdays at 7:30 p.m. in the Lawndale Art Gallery, 4912 Main St. The meetings serve as a mid-week "pep rally," and numerous protest ideas are discussed.

Last Wednesday, artists and sympathizers gathered for a photo opportunity at Nestor Topchy's studio to demonstrate support for GAG.

About 70 people attended, and after removing black gags donned for photos, several new ideas were discussed.

This Saturday, GAG will have a freedom-of-expression party at 9 p.m. in Commerce Street Artists Warehouse, 2315 Commerce. A microphone and PA will be open for anyone to perform, in keeping with the spirit of expression. Several local bands, including Pleasure Center, Abusers of Substance, MC Poodle, Dwight Trash, Stu Mulligan, Gorilla Girls, Bobin Doctrine Puppet Theatre, MC900 FT Cheeseball Master of Ceremonies, E Coli, Terminus and Goatee will be performing -- and that's just a partial list.

Mike Scranton donated his studio space in Commerce Street Artists Warehouse for anyone who wanted to make giant puppet heads lampooning (un)popular Republican figures.

GAG's main rally will be held on August 18 at the DeMenil gallery. Sissy Farenthold, former Democratic candidate for governor and women's rights supporter, will speak on freedom of expression. Performance artist Laurie Anderson has expressed interest.

Director of DiverseWorks Michael Peranteau and local artist James Serles also plan to speak.

"(The NEA's) statement of mission," said GAG's declaration of intent, "declares that the government 'must not, under any circumstances, impose a single aesthetic standard or attempt to direct artistic content.'

"Two years ago, this mission was flagrantly violated when the Bush administration amended the language of the grant application...requiring proposed work to adhere to some 'general' standard of decency.

"GAG's agenda demands the depoliticalization of the NEA by restoring the original function of the endowment . . . GAG demands the reinstatement of all grants denied by (Bush-appointed) Ann-Imelda Radice and her immediate replacement."

SAGGING ECONOMY TAKES TOLL ON PETS

By Ericka Schiche

Daily Cougar

A dog may be a man's best friend, but when some pet owners' wallets are thin, the animal could suffer from neglect or abuse.

Michelle McClosky, one of four regular cruelty investigators for the Houston Society for the Prevention and Cruelty to Animals, said her department will investigate about 4,000 cases in 1992.

"When the economy starts to go bad, you see a rise in animal neglect. The level of frustration people are dealing with gets higher," McClosky said.

House cats are usually the first ones to be dumped near a field when the people who own them are experiencing financial difficulties, she said.

McClosky described a recent case in which a woman let many cats die in her house as "probably the worst case of neglect I've ever seen."

She spoke of some cases where the animal had been set on fire, starved, deprived of water or shot.

McClosky said she remembers one case where the perpetrators got a puppy and tied a rope around its neck in a knot. The rope grew into the animal's neck.

"The dog had gotten to the point where he couldn't eat or drink," she said.

Nevertheless, even if a person experiences financial difficulties, they should not be absolved of their responsibility to care for the pet, she said. Investigators work with those who are abusive or neglectful to correct the problem.

According to the City of Houston Bureau of Animal Regulation and Care, the HSPCA euthanized 26,411 of the 35,495 animals taken in as of 1991.

X Miller, executive director of Special Pals, an adoption agency for homeless animals, said one positive thing about the number of animals which are euthanized is that the total has declined to a city-wide 80,476 in 1991 from 138,160 in 1990.

She attributes the decline to a recently passed law that requires all shelters to spay and neuter animals.

Miller said the economy has indeed taken a toll on the shelters. Of the HSPCA, the City of Houston Board of Animal Regulation and Care, Harris County Animal Control, the Houston Humane Society, Citizens for Animal Protection and Special Pals, the latter is the only shelter that does not euthanize on a regular basis.

"We're seeing some real horror stories; people who have lost their jobs at the age of 60 who are almost old enough to retire," Miller said.

"One couple had a Chihuahua, which probably weighed five pounds. The lady said, 'I didn't mind losing my home, my furniture or my car, but it is breaking my heart to lose my dog.' It breaks your heart to hear stories like that," she said.

Miller, at the helm of the operation since July of 1991, said she has seen many cases in which the economy has tightened the noose around the necks of people living on a fixed income.

She said one elderly couple, whose children refused to take their pets if they moved in, "sat here and cried when they left the dogs because they said the pets were their family."

The economy has also had a detrimental impact on Special Pals. Not only has the number of adoptions declined, but conditions have gotten worse.

City-wide, the number of placements declined to 12,318 in 1991 from 17,850.

Special Pals' budget has declined to $200,000 this year from $350,000 in 1990.

"When they're making half the money they once made, they (pet owners) don't have the money for veterinarian visits, vaccinations and food," she said.

"I have an $880 house note. If I wanted to adopt another dog, I could not afford one."

At the filled-to-capacity shelter, there are about 215 animals, including cats, dogs and rabbits. Contributions to the shelter are down $150,000, and from "July to July, medical bills have accounted for 15 to 20 percent of the expenses," she said.

Medical expenses include treating such ailments as heartworms, Feline Immune Deficiency Virus, examinations and booster shots.

She said she does not "look down her nose at shelters where pets are euthanized because Special Pals is a part of the same loop.

Pets will not be taken in at Special Pals until those living at the shelter (some as long as a year) are adopted.

Someone who has financial problems and can't provide their pet with adequate care should either place an ad in a publication or find a shelter where animals are not regularly euthanized.

If all else fails, Miller suggests the pet owner take the animal "to a veterinarian and have it put to sleep." She said animals are sold for research, often found starved to death and are occasionally hit by cars when left to fend for themselves.

PET LOVERS ACT AS FOSTER PARENTS

Karen Snelling

Daily Cougar

For every person born, there are 15 dogs and 45 cats born, said Melissa Brooks, Director of Volunteer Services of the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty of Animals.

That's a large amount of animals needing care, and the SPCA provides several ways people can help.

Debbie Fitzgerald, advertising manager of the Daily Cougar, became a foster parent for the SPCA at the beginning of the summer.

She cares for pets that are too sick or small for the SPCA to keep.

"Once you are a volunteer, you can apply to be a foster parent for these pets," she said. Fitzgerald has been a SPCA volunteer since May.

Fitzgerald said the SPCA is not a medical veterinary clinic and doesn't have the funds to treat pets brought in with diseases. The SPCA can't risk keeping a contagious pet because the disease could spread to other pets, she said.

Before euthanizing these animals, the SPCA will try to foster them out to people who can care for them until they are well, she said.

She also mentioned the SPCA fosters out pets that are too small or young to put up for adoption.

Fitzgerald said she keeps a pet two weeks before taking it back to the SPCA to see if they can accept it or if they need her to keep it longer.

There is no cost involved other than basic care. It's up to each foster parent to decide if they want to spend money on a pet, she said.

Fitzgerald said she has fostered five dogs. Her first was a full-bred collie named Marley, which she kept while he recovered from the contagious disease Kennel Cough. Currently, she said she is keeping two puppies named Patches and Peaches. These puppies already have some lucky owners waiting to adopt them when they are large enough, she said.

Fitzgerald said she has volunteered for the SPCA in other ways such as admitting pets that are brought in and working at the annual Mutt Show which is held during May. At the Mutt Show, pet owners show off their mixed-breeds in an obstacle course race and costume contest, she said.

She said she'd like to participate in other programs such as the Humane Education Campaign in which volunteers go to schools and teach kids general pet care and inform them about SPCA services.

She mentioned that many people confuse the Houston SPCA with New York's American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty of Animals. People think they are helping Houston's SPCA by sending donations to a national headquarters, but they are actually sending money to the New York organization, she said.

"The SPCA gets no United Way funds or state tax dollars of any kind," she said. All of their funds come from adoption fees, donations and special events such as the Mutt Show.

Fitzgerald said she has really enjoyed fostering pets. "It's amazing how fast you can get attached to them," she said.

The SPCA has existed since 1924 and is the oldest and largest private animal welfare shelter in Texas, Brooks said.

The SPCA admits approximately 100 animals each day, she said.

Brooks said they do not have a set time period for keeping animals. The SPCA cares for animals until they are too sick or there is no space, she said.

In 1991, out of the 33,500 animals they took in, 6,700 were adopted, she said.

She said they maintain an open door admitting policy and have kept a wide variety of animals including goats, horses, squirrels, raccoons, and bobcat cubs.

"We are the only agency in Harris County that does not charge a fee to admit an animal," she said.

She said the $53 adoption fee pays for spading or neutering, the first set of vaccinations and an ID tag for the pet.

Other services the SPCA offers are a 24 hour Injured Rescue Service and a Cruelty Investigation Department.

Anyone wanting more information can call the SPCA, which is open everyday, at 869-8227.

POLICE FIND UH PROPERTY IN EMPLOYEE'S GARAGE

By Frank M. Rossi

Daily Cougar

Five UH Physical Plant employees were arrested Friday, and four were charged with theft of UH property from the College of Optometry, UHPD Assistant Chief Frank Cempa said.

Kevin Wade Waller, 26, Salvador Carranza, 39, Alfredo Rodriguez, 55, and Cirilo Contreras, 53, were arrested at approximately 1 p.m. Friday after a witness called UHPD at 10:30 a.m. that morning to report four men unloading items from two trucks into a garage on 4600 Clay St., Cempa said.

He said the suspects were wearing UH Physical Plant uniforms, and the trucks were UH property. The garage belonged to one of the suspects, he said.

UHPD recovered a Magnavox television, a computer power supply motor, a medical stretcher, a reel of cable wire, a refrigerator and some scrap metal from the suspect's garage.

Cempa said the suspects were told to haul some property from the College of Optometry to UH's Lawndale Annex, a storage facility for the Property Management department, but the suspects stopped at the garage and unloaded the mentioned items before bringing the remaining cargo to the annex.

A fifth suspect was released because of lack of evidence, and the four mentioned suspects were charged with theft by a public servant, a third degree felony. Their bonds have been set at $2,000 each, and their cases have been assigned to Harris County District Court 178.

PARTY SAFE AT COUGAR PLACE

Cougar Brief

As the International AIDS Conference takes place this week, UH students will have a chance to increase their own knowledge of safe sex, AIDS and other sexually transmitted diseases.

Cougar Place will be sponsoring a Safe Sex House Party on July 22 at 8 p.m.

J. Barton "Bart" Loeser of the Houston AIDS Foundation will be hosting the workshop, which takes an informative, yet entertaining look at AIDS and other STDs.

To go along with the workshop, rock radio station KLOL and Richard Heads Bar and Grill will supply condom key rings.

LIVE MONKEYS AROUND ONSTAGE

By Chuck Deaton

Daily Cougar

Numbers on Westheimer, played host to three alternative bands on Sunday evening. LIVE, the Spent Poets and Wire Train were the featured bands. Headlining the group was LIVE, the new alternative rock group from Nework, Penn., which includes vocalist Edward Kowalczyk, Chad Gracey on drums, Patrick Dahlheimer on bass and Chad Taylor on guitar.

LIVE has had its fair share of success with the recent album, <i>Mental Jewelry<p>. It peaked at 78 on the Billboard charts this summer and launched two singles, "Operation Spirit", which landed at number two on the Billboard Modern Rock Charts and "Pain Lies On The Riverside", which hit number seven.

LIVE's climb to fame began earlier this year with the help of MTV which featured both of their singles as "Buzz Clips."

When asked about their satisfaction with the release of <i>Mental Jewelry<p>, bass player, Dahlheimer said, "I was really pleased. MTV kind of blew the lid off and we were kind of behind and had a lot of catching up to do. From the word go, it just took off and we were trying to catch up with it. The album wasn't even out yet."

Three members of LIVE came together at a middle school talent show which they won. Afterward, they decided to continue the band and audition a friend -- Kowalczyk. They remembered thinking how lousy he was at the first audition, but asked him to stay anyway. That move was, eventually, to their benefit. Kowalczyk now writes all of their lyrics.

When asked why they like LIVE, most fans will say it is because of the group's lyrics.

Marcie Wix, a student from Corpus Christi drove all the way to Houston for the last show at the Woodlands Pavilion and made a point to stop by Numbers, while in town, for the performance Sunday.

"I really like the lyrics," Wix said. "This band seems very concerned with racial issues and world harmony. They're honest and it shines right through the music."

In a song called "The Beauty Of Gray", Kowalczyk writes, "This is not a black and white world/ to be alive the colors must swirl/ and I believe/ that maybe today/ we will all get to appreciate/the beauty of gray."

In a recent magazine article, Kowalczyk was quoted as saying, "I don't think that responsibility for changing anything lies with the music. I think that music can be a calling to individual seriousness but it can't in itself do anything. People say music can change the world, but it's obvious it can't. The only thing that can change the world is the people who make up the world."

Both of Friday's performance in the Deep Ellum district of Dallas and Sunday's show in Houston were marred by a juvenile herd at the foot of the stage who persisted in hurling others in the air to be passed through the crowd. Pushing and shoving just for the fun of it was another favorite game.

In Dallas, an ambulance was called for one unfortunate girl who caught a shoe in the nose. Another spectator jumped from a nine foot platform and landed in the crowd.

Bass player Dahlheimer said," I wonder if they're really listening. To me it doesn't make sense. They're not using their brains. That is definitely not what we're about."

Drummer Gracey added, "Sometimes you want to grab them and say 'did you come here to listen to music or be a monkey?'"

The next single release from LIVE will be "Mirror Song" from the <i>Mental Jewelry<p>" album. The band is shooting for a new album by March of 1993. The LP will be released on Radioactive Records, the company that also boasts the talents of The Ramones and London Beat.

When asked to compare the fan response in Houston and the rest of the country, they agreed that there is no real difference. Most of the fans are around the same age and they are the same everywhere.

BANG TANGO SINGS SONGS WITH NO SOUL

by Jeff Balke

Daily Cougar

Who needs Aretha Franklin, Ray Charles or even James Brown when you have Bang Tango? After all, Joe Leste, lead singer for the band, even wears a tattoo claiming his spot on the "Bang Tango Soul Team" because he says a lot of people see the band as having a lot of soul.

Soul is certainly not something to be found anywhere on the band's new EP release from MCA, <I>Ain't No Jive...Live!<P>. In fact, Otis Redding probably rolled over in his grave when he heard this stereotypical heavy metal band from the West Coast, not Alabama or Mississippi as one would be lead to believe, was calling themselves soulful.

One will find a hearty dose of typically raunchy rock on this live EP. The closest the band comes to being soulful is their lifeless, guitar-heavy rendition of T. Rex's classic "20th Century Boy" and the band's own "Midnight Struck," a weak attempt at a Rolling Stones-like ballad, complete with piano and female back-up singers.

The album also features live versions of songs from the band's two previous albums, <I>Psycho Cafe<P> and <I>Dancin' On Coals<P>. The EP concludes with a nine-minute version of "Attack of Life" from their first album that interludes an extended jam of Ted Nugent's "Stranglehold."

Admittedly, the production quality of the album is fantastic, thanks to the help of veteran producer Mark Dearnley. Both Mark Knight's and Kyle Stevens' guitars dominated the instrumentation and had a distinctly studio-quality sound. The rhythm section, consisting of Kyle Kyle on bass and Tigg Ketler on drums, had a unique sound (to match their equally unique names, I'm sure) that cut through well.

This was the only thing that stood out, since most hard rock albums bury the bass in the mix and over-reverb the drums. The performances of the players were well executed, although somewhat contrived.

The biggest flaw in <I>Ain't No Jive...Live!<P> is the vocal performance of Leste. A bizarre cross between the Cult's Ian Astbury and Aerosmith's Steven Tyler, Leste's scratchy banterings were mediocre at best and, at times, even off-key. Regardless of his ability in the studio, which is questionable, his live performance leaves much to be desired.

No matter how good the production or the performances of the musicians on this EP, nothing could make up for the lackluster material and downright irritating vocals of Leste. However, if you like typical, boring heavy-metal with absolutely no soul, <I>Ain't No Jive...Live!<P> is the one for you. Bon Appetit!

NEW LAW TO GIVE SCRIBES ACCESS

COLLEGE PRESS SERVICE

Student journalists are expected to get wider access to campus security information through the compromise legislation before President Bush.

The Higher Education Act removes campus crime records as part of the Buckley Amendment, a 1974 law that prohibits release of student educational records without permission of the student.

The legislation makes an important distinction between "educational records" that are protected under Buckley and crime records unrelated to education, says the Student Press Law Center in Washington, D.C.

If President Bush signs the bill into law, the compromise would end a long-running dispute between the Department of Education and student journalists.

The Student Press Law Center and three student journalists filed a complaint against the department last year to prevent it from penalizing colleges and universities that disclose campus crime information. The Department of Education claimed such information fell under the protection of Buckley, while student journalists and their lawyers contended that the interpretation violated the journalists' rights under the First Amendment.

Last November, U.S. District Judge Stanley Harris ruled in favor of the SPLC and ordered the department to stop withholding federal funds from colleges that disclose crime information.

Even so, student editors in Texas, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Arkansas and New York have reported difficulty getting crime reports from school administrators wary of federal penalties for disclosing information. The SPLC has encouraged students to call the law center at (202) 466-5242 for assistance with such problems.

GOP RECURITS THOUSANDS FOR CONVENTION DUTIES

By Jim Mosley

Daily Cougar

With the Republican National Convention creeping ever closer to its inevitable beginning, the convention organizers put out a call for volunteers which has been answered by many Houstonians.

Since Houston received the bid to host the convention the Houston Host Committee has recruited more than 9,000 volunteers to help run the event.

"We have over 9,000 volunteers (to help with the convention)," Lyn Johnson, Houston Host Committee public affairs director said. "We have volunteers that have been here since last December.

"The convention could not be run without the volunteers," Johnson added. "We really need about 10,000 to 12,000 volunteers (to run the convention)."

The convention will have 6,000 volunteer job assignments a day, Johnson said.

"There will be information booths in all the hotels," Johnson said. "Transportation is a big group which needs a ton of volunteers. Security is a another that needs a lot of volunteers."

Volunteers will be given jobs they have skills for.

"We (the convention) will have people who can sign for the deaf and work with the handicapped," Johnson said. "Some (volunteers) will be greeters at the airport and have refreshments for them (the delegates) when they arrive."

Volunteers were recruited through the committees diligence in speaking engagements.

"We formed a speakers bureau from members of the host committee (to recruit people)," Johnson said. "Every speaker went out with 100 volunteers forms. And the response (to the speeches) was strong."

Each delegation will have a host family for the night before the convention party.

"There will be 9,000 delegates all around Houston in private homes," Johnson said. "The larger delegations (California, Florida and Texas) will have a combined party that is sponsored by Enron, Arco, Arthur Andersen, Anheuser-Bush and Sonat next to the Enron Building."

Each delegation will have someone assigned to it to make sure their stay in Houston is a pleasant one, Johnson said.

Saturday at the George R. Brown Convention Center, the Republican Nation Convention Security Office held a briefing for over 800 potential volunteers.

David Dunn, director of security, said they needed volunteers to work the magnetometer machines and the metal detectors at the Astrodome.

The volunteers will also receive a T-shirt with an American Flag in the background, 1992 Republican National Convention at the top, the Astrodome at the bottom and a "mocho elephant" in front of the flag, Dunn said.

Sharon Bush, George Bush's daughter-in-law, was there and told the volunteers she was "speaking for all the Bushes (when she said) volunteers were important."

Robert Rosebush, deputy director of security, told the crowd security was putting up another fence inside the Astrodome fence and no one could drive inside it.

Most people at the briefing wanted to see the democratic process.

"I want to be an usher so I can see the whole process first hand," Bron Fore, a 27-year-old accountant said.

Bron said he was not big into politics, but he had supported both Ronald Reagan and Bush's presidential bids.

Convention volunteers will only be allowed at their work stations during their shifts and can not go into the Astrodome to watch the proceedings after it is over, Dunn said.

Volunteers will be allowed in the Astrohall to watch the convention on television, Dunn said.

The Houston Host Committee was formed to enhance Houston to host a national convention.

"The committee was formed in 1986," Johnson said. "Houston has not had a political convention in 64 years."

The committee also has interns from universities throughout Texas.

"We have 28 interns," Johnson said. "Most of them are political science majors. It does not matter what job they do as long as they get close to the process."

The committee is working extra hours to get Houston ready for the convention.

"Everyone is working 12 to 14 hours a day," Johnson said. "And it's going to get a lot worse."

STUDENTS GO BEYOND BOOK-LEARNING

By Jean Hendley

Special to the Cougar

In just one week's time, the usually quiet Cameron Building became the scene of Luby's lunch line, a Dave and Buster's game room, a bowling outing of the Institute for Rehabilitation and Research (TIRR) and a young adults' night club. This rockin' and rollin' activity had more than a few observers asking, in bug-eyed wonder, "What's going on?"

As it happens, a group of dynamic Human Development and Computer Science students were the perpetrators of these unusual happenings. Not satisfied to merely report on their small-group field projects, they recreated the settings they had observed so their entire class could experience the projects just as they did.

The field presentations were a requirement of the Ecology of Adult Development class and added an element of understanding to the course that would be hard to duplicate in any other way. The recreation of the bowling night for the TIRR group, for example, moved the students as it informed them about the challenges faced by handicapped young adults.

Students practiced maneuvering wheelchairs in order to get through doors, get a drink of water and learn to place their bowling ball on a special ramp designed for handicapped participants. Their movements were also restricted by neck braces and bound fingers.

Frustrations were obvious and several of the students commented on the expense of energy that was required to accomplish the tasks.

Additional presentations offered the class roles as homeless people, age 65+ adults at Luby's and young adults in a game and party mood. These opportunities initiated some lively, in-depth class discussions during which, students applied text readings to their experiences.

Visiting Professor Pamela Morgan guided the class through the course during summer session I. True to her background in constructivist education, Morgan believes students learn best when they are given a framework for building their own learning experiences.

In class, Morgan offers options which allow students to choose from presentations, bibliographies on current research, participation in an ongoing research project and exams.

***********************

Correction: In Laura Cass' column ("Pregnancies can never be used to shackle women," July 7), the passage reading "... birth is a guarantee of his reception of these things," should have read, "birth is NOT a guarantee of his reception of these things," these things being "... comfort, but also his means of survival for himself."

The Cougar regrets any misinterpretations caused by the omission.