BUDGET CUTS HAVE FACULTY WARY OF FINANCIAL FUTURE

By Meagan McGovern

Daily Cougar

The faculty salary budget cuts that will be considered by the Legislature in the next session have the UH administration wary of the future.

"I wish I could be cheerier," said Elwyn Lee, vice president of Student Affairs. "What we're talking about is pretty basic -- it's just like a family that's having a tough economic time. You have to consider what's important."

Because of a new formula for computing faculty salaries, UH may lose up to $1.6 million in the next legislative session. The Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board has shifted emphasis on funding from graduate work to undergraduate.

Since UH has one of the highest ratios of graduate to undergraduate students in the state, it is one of 14 schools which stand to lose funding, according to a table published by the THECB.

"It's a tough issue," Lee said. "Cutting faculty salaries is very difficult and not desirable. We're in a situation where additional revenue is not expected, and the only way I can see out of this is either contributions from the outside or belt-tightening from the inside."

Skip Szilagyi, executive associate to the president, said the administration would find ways around cutting salaries. "There are no cuts being contemplated because of this," he said.

Instead of cuts, Szilagyi said a series of reshaping exercises involving the university as a whole would be taking place during the fall and spring semesters.

He said it was hard to put together any definite plans until the Legislature actually meets. "The results won't be in until next May or June. They may cut faculty salaries and increase the budget in another area, so it would be a wash," he said. "We just don't know."

James Pipkin, however, said the term "faculty salaries" is misleading. Pipkin, the acting dean for the College of Humanities and Fine Arts, said faculty salaries were not really the issue, but the message that the THECB was sending out was much more important.

"The current formula is designed to encourage graduate studies," he said. "Graduate studies are funded at a higher rate than undergraduate. Now, with the new formula, they're (the board) sending a different message. They want schools to emphasize undergraduate education now, rather than graduate. They want us to accommodate more students, even if it reduces the quality of the education."

He added that the board felt if taxpayers were forced to make a choice between more access to students and the quality of education, the taxpayers would choose more open access.

"This is reflected in the board's decision to use performance-based funding," he said. Performance- based funding is the concept that certain funds are not released to a school unless the school meets certain performance requirements.

Pipkin believes this type of program doesn't take into account the mission of UH as an urban university. One of the performance criteria would be the attrition rate, or the percentage of students who graduate from UH in 4 to 5 years.

UH, according to Pipkin, has different goals than small regional colleges and has a high appeal to students who don't expect to graduate in the traditional amount of time, including part-time and professional students.

"Our job as administrators is that we must respond to the mandate from the state, which emphasizes greater access, and yet we have to juggle this with our training, which emphasizes quality of education," he said.

Lee agrees. "Faculty are critical to the basic education process. It's hard enough for people not to get raises. We have to cut back inside the university."

The meetings taking place next month should reveal a lot about the future, Lee said. "We'll be asking fundamental questions. What's important to us? What, if anything, should we cease doing? Where can we cut back?

*******************************************************

PARKING LOT DELAYED BY HISTORICAL FIND AND UNAPPROVED PERMITS

By Deborah Hensel

Daily Cougar

A $50,000 problem has been unearthed at the construction site of a new parking lot and annex on the corner of Elgin at Cullen. UH Assistant Director of Architectural Services Ron Shoup called it "an archaeological find."

"You'll notice we're saving the vessels," he said. "We're going to send them to the museum in London," Shoup said.

Bell-shaped piers in the foundation of a building that once existed at the site are now being removed, adding to the cost of the two lots, originally budgeted at $720,000.

"These were some poured-in-place military bunkers that looked like they were there 30 to 40 years," Shoup said. "When the university bought the property, they tore everything off above the ground, but needless to say, they didn't spend the money to pull the piers out."

"It was a case of pay now or pay later," Shoup said.

Removal of the piers and some rain days have delayed the project by a week, Shoup said, but the lots are expected to be complete by September 7.

Additional problems in securing construction permits from the city of Houston may have also hindered the advancement of the project.

According to John Miller, assistant chief of structural inspections for the city, the permit application submitted June 23 was rejected for failure to meet city requirements in five areas: electrical, traffic, planning, plumbing and sewer drainage.

Steve Campagna, who checks plans for the city's Planning and Development Department, said he approved the structural design on June 25.

Shoup said he was unaware of a delay caused by rejection of the permits, but slowness in obtaining revisions to the plans was due to the fact that Chief Engineer Billy Cooke of Klotz and Associates is on vacation.

Harry Brannan, plan analyst for storm and sewer drainage for the city, said he is anticipating revisions upon Cook's return.

According to Miller, a state facility like the university is technically not obligated to obtain permits, but UH has always complied in the past.

"That just has to do with the sovereignty of the state," Shoup said. "We go through the whole process. We design according to the city codes and we review the thing with them just as though we were going to get a permit.

"We actually do pull permits for things that touch the city's infrastructure," Shoup added. "For instance, those are the city's streets, and we have to plan our driveways to come out and connect to them.

"We have some things in the process of revision -- for instance, the irrigation system," Shoup said. "The city likes a different kind of valve than the one we have specified to protect the watermain from backflow."

Parking lot 16D and the expansion of 16E are the result of a parking survey conducted during the fall 1991 and spring 1992 semesters, according to Gerald Hagan, manager of Parking and Transportation. The surveys revealed that UH parking lots were 200 cars over capacity between 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. during the fall semester.

The new lots will add about 600 additional spaces in the highly congested area north of campus, Hagan said.

"We've now occupied every convenient space for parking," Hagan said. A multi-level parking facility would add more cost to the parking fees which students would be unwilling to pay, he added.

Shoup estimated the cost to acquire the same number of spaces in a multi-level garage would multiply 10 times.

With regard to the additional cost incurred in the excavation of the piers, Shoup said, "If the Museum of Antiquities in London pays us for those specimens, we should come out ahead."

PROGRAM ASSIST AIDS SUFFERERS

By Jim Mosley

Daily Cougar

With the growing awareness of AIDS, care-giving organizations are sprouting up all over Houston to help victims cope with life.

Three such non-profit organizations are the Bering Care Center, the AIDS Foundation of Houston, Inc. and the People With AIDS Coalition.

"We have been in existence for five years," said Lindy Huffman, director of the Bering Care Center. "and we were the first center like this in the nation."

"We are an adult day-care center for people with AIDS," Huffman said. "We have 400 active clients and have a waiting list with 52 people."

The center requires that clients be HIV-positive, Texas residents and indigent, making under $12,000 a year, Huffman said.

"The center is a drop-in," she said. "The people (clients) are ambulatory, in varying stages of health."

The center has a hot lunch program, a financial assistance program, a transportation program and serves a continental breakfast, Huffman said.

"We have money that is available for anyone who is HIV-positive and meets our criteria," she said. "Agencies like ours are very important because we fill in the gap (for a normal existence)."

All the meals which are served by the center are prepared by volunteers and clients, Huffman said.

"We try to be a family (for the clients)," she said. "This is a really upbeat place, and we have a lot of good times. People are always surprised (when they come)."

The center receives most of its funding from the Texas Department of Health (TDH) and private donors, Huffman said.

The Aids Foundation of Houston, Inc. (AFH) has been in existence for five years and offers many services which help HIV-positive clients.

"We offer financial aid, the 'Stone Soup Program' and the 'Buddy Program' to our clients," said Perry Putnam, AFH information officer. "We also offer other types of volunteer programs."

The "Stone Soup Program" is a food pantry for AFH clients who need items which food stamps do not cover, Putnam said.

"The 'Buddy Program' is made up of volunteers," he said. "People go out and make contact (with clients) to see if they are all right."

In order for an AIDS victim to become a client of AFH, they need to get in contact with their hotline and make an appointment for an interview, Putnam said.

The AFH has counseling for clients to help them find affordable housing.

"Most clients are receiving social security," he said. "There are a lot of people who come to us (for help) because they find themselves without a job due to disability.

"It could be quite a change for them (clients), going from $1,200 a month to $422 (social security)," Putnam added. "You can't pay $600 a month (rent) when you are only bringing in $422."

The AFH gets its funding from TDH and private donations.

"George Foreman gave us $100,000," Putnam said.

The People With AIDS (PWC) Coalition is another Houston organization which provides services for people with AIDS.

"We're an organization of, by and for people who are HIV-positive," said Jay Slemmer, president of PWA Coalition. "It is a place for PWAs to have their input into their own organization."

The coalition has been in existence since 1986, and 51 percent of its executives have to be HIV-positive, Slemmer said.

"The by-laws state the president must be HIV-positive," he said.

The coalition is part of the National Organization of People with AIDS in Washington D.C., Slemmer said.

The coalition has a wide range of services which help people who are HIV-positive.

"We offer 'New Beginnings, Household Restart Program,'" he said. "We take donations of furniture and household items, like sheets and towels.

"A lot of people with AIDS get thrown out by their families," Slemmer added. "So they come to us, and we help them set up a new residence."

The coalition also has a roommate-referral program.

"We try to take clients who are looking for an apartment and try to link them up with a roommate so they can better afford the apartment," he said.

Slemmer said volunteers from the coalition are matched with clients in their "Buddy Program" which provides a social support.

"A lot of people, when they get sicker, close themselves off and stay at home," he said. "The coalition tries to self-empower people and get involved."

People interested in volunteering should call Bering Care Center, 520-7072, AIDS Foundation of Houston, Inc., 623-6796, and the PWA Coalition, 522-5428.

RESEARCHERS FIND WAY TO EFFECTIVELY DISPOSE WASTE

By Deborah Hensel

Daily Cougar

Pick-up and disposal of radioactive material, corrosive chemicals and biohazardous waste generated by science laboratories is a dirty and dangerous job, but someone has to do it.

The UH Department of Environmental and Physical Safety has a staff of trained hazardous materials technicians to handle those problems, as well as personnel dedicated to planning and implementing policies and procedures for general safety.

According to Director Tim Ryan, summer is a time of massive clean-out in the science labs as researchers change.

In June, safety technicians collected chemical waste 13 times, with each pick-up averaging two to three gallons. Some of these chemicals, according to Ryan, may be effectively recycled.

The department pays $85 per 55- gallon drum to have xylene or acetone fuel-blended. The alternative is incineration, which Ryan says is "energy up in smoke."

Also, in June, radioactive materials were collected from campus labs nine times, at an average of one and a half gallons per pick-up.

Ryan says radioactive waste can be broken down into two categories: that which is below levels of concern as determined by the Texas Department of Health, and that which has measurable radioactivity.

Based on the half-life rule, some of the waste is allowed to "delay and decay" until it is safe for fuel-blending or incineration. According to Ryan, material with a half-life of 120 years -- or even 10,000 years -- is stored in a cinder-block building near KUHT-TV until it can be moved to one of three specialized landfills in South Carolina, Nevada or Washington state. Those pick-ups are made two or three times per year.

Ryan says biohazardous waste generated by biology, pharmacology and the animal care center is minimal compared to what he observed at the University of Texas Medical Branch in Galveston.

On the average, the UH

Safety Department collects 20 to 25 orange biohazardous waste bags per month, compared to the 150 to 300 per day generated at UTMB. These bags typically contain syringes, scalpels, glass and other disposables.

To comply with state and federal regulations governing personnel training and the collection, analysis, storage and shipment of waste, Ryan's staff documents everything.

Typically, the Environmental Protection Agency or the Texas Water Commission may make a random inspection about every three years. Ryan, who has been with the department one year, says the last record he has seen of an inspection was at least two years ago, so the department is due.

Tom Starustka, sales director for Treatment 1, said in 1991 Treatment 1 picked up 4050 gallons of chemical waste. To date in 1992, they have received 3785. To his knowledge, UH has never failed to comply with EPA and Texas Water Commission regulations.

Aside from handling hazardous waste, the Environmental and Physical Safety Department responds to a variety of safety-related calls: suspected killer bees, auto accidents, gas and liquid spills, odor complaints, false fire alarms and students stuck in elevators.

The records show that reported incidents in all categories are on the rise, from a total of four in May, 1991, to 23 in May, 1992, and from four in June, 1991, to 16 in June, 1992.

Over the last year, Ryan says there have been between 10 and 15 actual and suspected incidents related to hazardous materials. For instance, in early June, a researcher in Science and Research Building Two called to report "gunk" dripping from the ceiling.

Ryan himself came out to inspect the situation and discovered that a plastic container of ammonia cleaning fluid had sprung a leak on the floor above the lab. The liquid seeped through the concrete and landed on a researcher's $100,000 gas spectrophotometer.

TOFU HARD TO FIND AT UT

By Gigi Causey

The Daily Texan

AUSTIN, Texas (CPS) -- A vegetarian lifestyle isn't easy -- especially on campus.

Without planning a proper diet, vegetarians may have trouble getting adequate nourishment, and students who eat at campus dining halls may not be able to get enough options in their daily menus.

"Many people don't realize how difficult it is to be a vegetarian," said Jeanne Freeland-Graves, a professor of home economics.

An informal survey at the University of Texas' four dining halls indicated that between 10 percent and 15 percent of students don't eat red meat or chicken.

Melvyn Stiriss, who teaches an informal class on vegetarianism, said new vegetarians need to be especially careful because there are many things that they should know before they stop eating meat.

"Some people feel like they can just quit eating meat and eat what's left. It doesn't exactly work like that," Stiriss said.

Even if they know what they should eat, students can have a hard time pursuing vegetarian lifestyles if they eat at university facilities that can't provide the foods they need.

Harley Fisk, chef of the Division of Housing and Food, said the university's dining halls provide alternative vegetarian entrees in slightly more than two-thirds of all meals they serve.

But he also said that variety in vegetarian menus was limited because many dining-facility patrons do not like non-meat dishes.

Because there are varying degrees of vegetarians -- ranging from lacto-ovo vegetarians, who eat eggs, dairy products and plant foods, to vegans, who eat only plant foods -- those in the stricter categories may find their choices narrowed.

"We provide a large number of items that vegetarians can eat, depending on the type of vegetarian you're trying to reach," Fisk said. "Vegans are among those more difficult to be satisfied. We have options, but they're not as varied.

"It's difficult to feed any very small group of people," he added. "You have to understand, if I put out a pan of stir-fried tofu and it sat untouched for about two hours, you can imagine what it would look like."

CONGRESS EXPANDS PELL GRANTS, OTHER FINANCIAL AID

By Charles Dervarics

WASHINGTON (CPS) -- After two years of debate, Congress has approved a massive bill to expand student financial aid and other higher education programs despite warnings that the nation's budget woes could undermine many of its key objectives.

"It's a bittersweet victory for students," said Selena Dong, legislative director for the United States Student Association. While the bill permits a major expansion of Pell Grants, for example, Congress may have trouble just maintaining current funding levels, she said.

The Higher Education Act reauthorization bill would raise the maximum Pell Grant from $2,400 to $3,100 next year and permit more aid to middle-income and part-time students. But Congress still must appropriate Pell funds based on projected revenue and budget targets. Already, Dong said, members are talking about a cut from $2,400 -- not an increase -- to meet 1993 budget targets.

While the HEA bill contains many laudable goals, "we may be talking about pie in the sky" when it comes to financial aid, Dong said. She also chided Congress for defeating a plan to make Pell Grants an entitlement. "Many poor students won't be helped by this bill," she added.

President Bush was expected to sign the HEA bill in late July.

Overall, the measure allows for modest growth in many student aid programs -- again, barring budget constraints -- and reflects considerable compromise between separate House and Senate bills debated during the past two years.

The bill recommends moderate growth for Pell Grants through 1997, when the maximum grant could reach as high as $3,700.

Middle-income students with family income up to $42,000 a year could receive aid, and the government also would remove home or farm equity as a factor in eligibility.

For student loans, the bill increases maximum Stafford loan amounts from $2,625 to $3,500 for second-year students, $4,000 to $5,000 for third- and fourth-year students and $7,500 to $8,500 for graduate students.

The HEA bill also contains a controversial direct loan proposal in which schools would begin to replace banks in the loan process. Up to $500 million will be available for the first year of a five-year experiment.

Capitol Hill aides say as many as 400 schools could participate in the direct loan experiment.

Sponsors of the direct loan concept say it will save money by eliminating the subsidies paid to banks as well as the banks' own administrative costs in handling the loans. But the White House balked at the idea and threatened to veto the entire bill, which prompted Congress to scale back the experiment.

Even during floor debate, lawmakers continued to debate the merits of the direct loan plan. Sen. Edward Kennedy, D-Mass., called it "one of the most innovative ideas in higher education," while Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, countered that it could turn educational institutions into banks. "I am not at all certain that this is a good idea," Hatch said.

In addition, Congress attached a provision allowing any family, regardless of income, to receive a 9 percent loan for education expenses. Higher-income households, however, would have to begin repaying the loans immediately rather than waiting until a student finishes college.

Elsewhere in the bill, Congress would create two new programs to identify and recruit low-income, disadvantaged students attending college. "These programs identify at-risk students early in the educational pipeline and make funding available for early intervention programs to keep them in school," Kennedy said.

In addition, the bill would authorize a new Teacher Corps in which prospective teachers would receive financial aid in return for a pledge to teach in underserved areas after graduation.

The measure also would authorize a variety of anti-crime measures designed to promote campus safety. For example, Congress would require colleges to adopt more consistent policies on sexual assault. Lawmakers also set aside $10 million for campus rape prevention education programs.

For institutions, the bill expands federal aid to historically black colleges and universities ($135 million) and creates a new program ($45 million) for institutions serving a large number of Hispanic students.

KAPPA ALPHA SPONSORS BLOOD DRIVE ON CAMPUS FOR SICK SEVEN YEAR OLD

By Rhonda Smith

Daily Cougar

The rare blood disorder of seven-year-old Norman Lew that has kept him in the Texas Children's Hospital for four months, mostly in ICU, is the reason Kappa Alpha Order is sponsoring a Gulf Coast regional Blood Center blood drive on July 29 and 30.

Norman's rare disorder was discovered last April and since has required numerous blood transfusions, which leaves the family with service fees exceeding $11,000.

It is not known when he will be able to go home. Presently, he is in a General Care Unit and continues to need blood and blood components.

His family is looking forward to the help the blood drive will bring. Norman plays and laughs like an average seven-year-old, only he does it from a hospital bed in between his physical therapy sessions.

When Norman was asked about what he thought about the blood drive he replied with a cheerful "Okay".

It takes three people per transfusion for Norman, explains a family member.

"This is a replacement blood drive so that everyone can get involved," said the Group Program Consultant for the Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center. Along with the refreshments supplied by Kappa Alpha Order, the center will be providing a free purple or teal T-shirt to donors.

"Any amount that the drive can collect will help," says Kappa Alpha Order President, Dan Beyer. Anything not Norman's type will be credited toward him.

The blood drive is from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Wednesday and 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Thursday in the Embassy Room of the University Center.

Last year, Kappa Alpha Order received the Life Giver Award on the college level from the Gulf Coast regional Blood Center.

EDITOR'S SHOCK TOO MUCH FOR USL ADMINISTRATORS

By Lisa Taylor

CPS / The Vermilion

LAFAYETTE, La. (CPS) -- The former editor of the University of Southern Louisiana's yearbook says he was denied a second term because administrators yielded to pressure from alumni angry about the book's content.

"Alumni money and administrative politics were placed before the students' rights to freedom of expression," said Jeff Gremillion, former editor of the L'Acadien.

His approach to journalism in the 1991 yearbook, titled "A Shock to the System," brought a flood of letters from parents and alumni who were incensed about the yearbook's inclusion of a number of photographs and articles.

The yearbook, distributed in late April, included a photo of a bare-breasted woman feeding spaghetti to a shirtless man, used in a section about love, dating and sex; a two-page spread of the school's mascot sitting on an American flag, articles about fraternity hazing and alcohol use by members of the women's basketball team.

The Communications Committee, a body of students and faculty in charge of interviewing applicants for the editor's position, had recommended that Gremillion serve a second term as editor.

He already had begun work on the 1992 yearbook this past spring when he learned that Vice President of Student Affairs Raymond Blanco had not endorsed the recommendation.

About a month later, Gremillion received a letter from Blanco stating that he had reviewed the committee's recommendation and had decided to appoint another staff member as editor. Blanco declined comment about the matter.

University President Ray Authement insisted that Gremillion was not being punished for his actions and had "complete" freedom of the press.

"If a student exercises his right, there is nothing we can do, but we do have the right to appoint the editor," Authement said.

Harry Bruder, an English professor and chairman of the Communications Committee, said media coverage of the yearbook flap fueled the controversy.

"Once controversy takes over, heat replaces light; emotion replaces reason," Bruder said.

Gremillion said the university administration was trying to assert control over the student press by denying his appointment.

"It is apparent that the university does not want the students who produce the yearbook to enjoy freedom of the press," Gremillion said. "They want something that is good for public relations."

Staff opinions about inclusion of some of the photographs were divided. Some staffers defended the yearbook's content and direction. Others did not.

"I was horrified," said Stella Theriot, a yearbook staff writer who said she thought the pictures bordered on pornographic.

Others complained that the photo was sexist because the woman was partially naked while the man was not.

CHAMPIONS--OLD VS. NEW

by Keith Rollins

Daily Cougar

If the USA can have a basketball dream team, so can the University of Houston.

Just imagine the break!

Elvin "The Big E" Hayes inbounds to Don Chaney who looks ahead to the streaking Clyde "The Slide" Drexler who drops the ball off to Otis Birdsong who penetrates and dishes off to the airborne Hakeem "The Dream" Olajuwon who slams home the leather as their opponents and fans watch in awe!

Dream on!

Although Hayes will be roaming the celebrity-filled sidelines as a guest coach, and Drexler will be competing abroad as an Olympian, the other three cagers plus many more ex-UH cotton-threaders will be filling the lane at 7 p.m. Saturday in Hofheinz Pavilion to benefit the University of Houston All Sports Scholarship Fund.

Other participants in the game will be former UH player and coach Guy V. Lewis, current UH Head Coach Pat Foster, members of Houston's Phi Slama Jama teams that played in the NCAA Final Four in 1982, 1983 and 1984, along with members of UH's 1967 and 1968 NCAA Final Four Teams.

The thought of "The Big E", who graduated from UH in 1968 and was given that nickname because of his resemblance to the U.S. Enterprise, going up against "The Dream", who left in 1984 to play for the Rockets, is enticing, itself, considering that each was one of the most dominating centers in their prime time.

Throw in the likes of Greg "Cadillac" Anderson, who just recently signed for $2.1 million for Caserta in Italy, and ex-Harlem Globetrotter Louis Dunbar, and the cast becomes even more appealing.

And imagine that each of the players that have already been named, plus Dwight Davis and Dwight Jones, were first-round NBA draft picks out of UH, and the game's name "Reunion of Champions" is even more justified.

"We welcome the opportunity to have this game. There will be more talent on the court in this game than any other in the history of Texas, on a college court, too," UH Sports Information Director Ted Nance, who has been around since the Elvin Hayes days at UH, said.

The game is the brain-child of Otis Birdsong who saw this as an opportunity to make money for his alma mater's scholarship fund.

General Admission tickets for the game are available at the UH Ticket Office. Prices are $5 for UH faculty and students, $10 for adults and $5 for youth not presently attending the university.

SUMMER LEAGUE TO ADD COMPETITON TO UH CAGERS

By Adam King

Daily Cougar

While many students are spending their summer on the beach or in class, some past and present Cougar sensatiuons are using these hot months to hone their skills on the basketball court.

This UH conglomeration is participating in the Houston Rockets Summer Basketball League which pairs college and professional players in a well-structured, league-style environment.

Coaches and referees are included.

Returning UH starters Charles "Bo" Outlaw Jesse Drain, Tyrone Evans, Derrick Smith and Rafael Carrasco have been rocking the boards since the league began in late June.

Smith is in the top 10 in four of the six statistical categories, including the lead in points per game with a 31.6 average.

Outlaw is leading the league in rebounds with 15.5 a game, five better than his closest competitor.

Drain has continued the Houston domination by sinking 51 percent if his three-pointers and averaging 28.6 point, second only to Smith.

"It's justl like a pick-up game," said Outlaw, "but we got refs and uniforms and clocks and fouls and techs and three-pointers."

Drain said he joined th league at the request of his coaches.

"I need to improve on my going to the board with my left hand, pulling up on the shot off the dribble and things like that," Drain said.

"(The league) motivates me a lot because the coaches said I would be one of the main players on the team, so I'm trying to do my best out here to get better at what I need to work on and what they told me to work on," he said.

Several Cougar exes are keeping their pro careers in mind while also playing in the league.

Joining fellow exes Michael Young, Byron Smith, and Darrell Mickens is 7-foot center Alvaro Teheran, just back from playing in Spain.

Teheran said the league keeps him motivated to win because the other players strive just as hard.

"There's a lot of good players here, college and professional, and this is a good chance to get in shape and practice your game," he said.

Houston Rocket David Wood is the only professional to play in this year's league, but in recent years names such as Clyde Drexler, Charles Barkley, Rodney McCray, Craig Ehlo, Greg Anderson, Sleepy Floyd, Ricky Pierce and Robert Reid attended regularly.

Tle league, sanctioned by the NCAA, was formed in 1984 as the Coors Light League. After Coors Light dropped their sponsorship in 1991, the Houston Rockets agreed to take over.