STUDENTS RAISE RAFTERS FOR HABITAT

By Karen Snelling

Daily Cougar

UH architecture students involved in Habitat for Humanity are building homes for some of Houston's homeless in the Fifth Ward. Architecture Professor David Thaddeus, faculty advisor for the UH chapter, managed to get UH involved with this program in 1989.

"I encourage all of my students to participate," he said.

Students volunteer their time and go mostly on Saturdays to build these homes, he said.

Thaddeus said working at the current pace, it takes approximately four months to build an average house.

Qualification to receive a house is based on need, he said, and once qualified, a family uses 300 sweat-equity hours as a down payment.

Sweat equity hours are generally hours a family spends working on its own home or another home, Thaddeus explained. Any physical labor-- such as lying tiles, painting, or landscaping -- counts toward a down payment, he said.

Thaddeus said Habitat for Humanity also consider other activities when determining sweat-equity hours. If a family member not attending school obtains a G.E.D., the family ears 50 sweat-equity hours. If a child from the family gets an A in school, the family earls one hour. A family can also earn hours by working in the Habitat office, he said.

Thaddeus said families receive a no-interest loan matched to their income to finance the remainder of the hose payment.

Thaddeus said the main problem student face is that much of their work unnoticed.

Construction for one house costs approximately $40,000; thus, in order for a house to be built, an organization that can afford this fee must sponsor the house. "We are the mercenaries."

UH students volunteer labor for other sponsors, but the sponsor's name goes on the house as the builder, Thaddeus said.

UH students are trying to raise $40,000 to sponsor their own house, but unfortunately, only a little over $2,000 has been raised during the past three years, so it will be a long time before the UH chapter becomes a sponsor, he said.

"I'd like to do a house form A to Z with the students," Thaddeus said.

He said the students need the help of a corporate sponsor that will share the recognition.

Thaddeus mention the Blitz Build, conducted by approximately 150 people, 30 of which are UH students.

This traveling group picks a specific city and for one week, makes a concentrated effort to build Habitat Homes, he explained.

The Blitz will build in Houston form August 15-22. Builders will work on the final three homes out of the 19 planned for the Fifth Ward's Habitat Complex, he said.

After the Blitz, UH students are going to dedicate a part to the complex, he said.

He mentioned the student will probably use the $2,000 they have raised to sponsor their own house to dedicate this park.

Student involvement with Habitat House building has increased since April of this year, he said.

Any student can volunteer, Thaddeus said, and the UH chapter has recruited some help from the Schools of Optometry and Social Work, but most volunteers are architecture majors, he said.

The UH chapter is part of the Habitat Humanity International Organization, started by Millard Fuller.

Several renowned volunteers, such as former President Jimmy Carter, have worked for its cause.

Anyone interested in getting involved with Habitat for Humanity can call 743-2400.

*******************************************************

WOMEN'S GROUP TO FEATURE SPEAKERS AT CONVENTION

By Ericka Schiche

Daily Cougar

In mid-August, the sharp, percussional sounds emanating from a drum corps will pierce Houston's humid air.

The music will not be that of a victorious regiment or of the brokenhearted, casualty-laden troops. Instead, the Women's Action Coalition, described in organization literature as "an open alliance of women committed to direct action on issues affecting the rights of all women."

The group seeks to broadcast its message as the Republican National Convention is underway and will use the drum corps as a magnetic force to motivate people involved in such events as rallies, marches and speaking events. Dates, times and location for the event will be announced at a later date.

While in Houston for the first three days of the Republican National Convention from Aug. 17-19, members of the organization will sponsor "Women Ignite," a series of activities, said Martina Batan, a member of the group who is helping coordinate activities.

Featured events include Visual Manifesto -- an audiovisual presentation that will possibly feature such artist as Laurie Anderson and Nancy Dwyer -- a Speak-Out Mike, an event which will give feminists and interested bystanders an opportunity to voice their opinions and, in an attempts to gamer local support, the drum corps activities.

Established in January, WAC, in its mission statement, insists on "every woman's right to quality health car, child care and reproductive freedom," in addition to "economic parity and representation fro all women and an end to homophobia, racism religious prejudice, and violence against women."

Batan, one of 1500 members, -- 500 of which regularly attend meetings -- said the New York City-based group came into existence as a result of "anger building up over such events as the William Kennedy Smith rape trial, the Clarence Thomas-Anita Hill (Senate Judiciary Committee confirmation) hearings and Mike Tyson's rape trial."

One of the first actions of the Women's Action Coalition came in the form or a protest against a case involving the locker room rape of a student at St. John's University. Statistics support the group's main cause of ending violence against women: A 1989 FBI Uniform Crime Report indicated that based on police reports, 10 rapes are attempted and 10 women are raped every hour.

1989 U.S. Department of Justice statistic indicate of the 91,460 rapes reported to police, 19,685 perpetrators were convicted.

To agitate the Republican party, the WAC will try to shake the anti-abortion plank to its foundation in a collaborative effort with such groups as Planned Parenthood, the National Organization for Women, and others who will participate in a city wide abortion clinic defense.

However, such anti-abortion groups as Operation Rescue and Rescue America will engage in combat with some of the organizations which support the pro-choice movement.

Judy Batterot, who sits on the Executive Board of Life Advocates, said although her organization is "not a rescue group and we don't get involved in anything illegal," some members will work as "picketeers, sidewalk counselors, and prayer supporters.

Other groups, such as COncerned Women fro America,. which is non-partisan, Emily's List , a Democratic campaign fund organization and The Houston Area Women's Center, will take more passive roles by observing convention-related activities.

While the Democrats showcased such female politicians as Gov. Ann Richards, Senatorial Candidates Carol Mosely Braun and Lynn Yeakel and AIDS activist Elizabeth Glazer, the Republicans plan to feature a similar lineup: Texas Treasurer Kay Bailey Hutchinson, First Lady Barbara Bush, and Labor Secretary Lynn Martin, who will deliver the nominating speech.

UH, TSU TO COMBINE EFFORTS ON REVITALIZING THIRD WARD

By Meagan McGovern

Daily Cougar

Church members, business owners and residents of the Third Ward-Riverside area have come together to create a council that will supply ideas for restructuring and redeveloping the area.

The council is using its members' expertise, as well as UH architecture student, UH faculty and Texas Southern University faculty.

"What has happened is that a lot of people, almost simultaneously, have developed an interest in the area," said Elwyn Lee, vice president for Student Affairs.

"They've come together to form a partnership. There's an umbrella group, the Third Ward Redevelopment Council, that has finance people from two banks, some ministers, and other people from the community. UH wants to join these efforts and to help them come up with an idea, a plan and a means to carry it out."

Mildred Lord, a committee member, agrees.

"We had civic organizations, churches, developers, people who live here and business owners. We had a great forum, but the one thing we needed was a plan. The plan right now does not exist. That's what were trying to do."

UH architecture students have come up with just that: a plan. Started as a project by architecture Professor David Lever, UH students went into the Third Ward and did a study assessing needs and existing conditions.

Along the way, however, students realized they had something more than a class project. They started to believe their idea could really work.

"The project is exciting," said Rusty Hruska, Student's Association president and a student in the class. "There's a lot of potential here. We've just done a study, and now we can go into the community and say, 'This is what we've got, by y'all need to make the decisions."

Hruska added, "The only way this will ever work is if we work hand-in-hand with the community. They have to make all of the decisions."

"This is definitely not the UH plan," Lever said. "This is just an idea we have. The community will ultimately decide what will happen to their area."

Lord agrees.

"UH has a plan, but it doesn't yet have approval or the input of the people in the area. We need to come up with a plan that each area of the community would buy into."

The project is still very much in the planning stages, Lord said. "Nobody has said down yet and said "this street should be this way and this area should be zoned this way.'"

Definite problems exist in the Third Ward area, Lord said.

"There's a lack of zoning. People are reluctant to invest in an area where there are nice houses if there are cafes or night clubs two doors down."

"I'm very optimistic," Lee said. "There's already a lot of renovation going on in the area from outside sources. Alabama and Blodgett are being repaved; HISD has targeted three or four schools for their renewal project. The city, with HUD funds, is remodeling Cluney homes, which haven't rebuilt since their construction after World War II.

UH HAS OLYMPIC CONNECTION

By Keith Rollins

Daily Cougar

Just like the Trans-Atlantic Cable linking the United States to Europe, UH has its own connection to Barcelona, Spain, at the 1992 Summer Olympics.

The cable was established to bring information from one side of the world to the other, and similarly, UH's link to the Olympics will bring information to the world that UH has the potential to produce international athletes.

The "UH Connection," which is sending 12 past and present athletes and three coaches, consist of many medal hopefuls.

One gold medal is in the bag for the Cougar contingency, which will ultimately be won by U.S. basketball Dream Team participant Clyde "The Glide" Drexler.

Drexler participated in the early '80s as power-forward on the UH basketball team.

Next in line for medal possibilities are six track-team members who have run for UH or are presently training under the watchful eye of Coach Tom Tellez. Carl Lewis, a past Cougar All-American and Olympic medalist, will be a favorite in the long-jump. Leroy Burrell, also a Cougar All-American, Mark Witherspoon and Mike Marsh are considered to be the best in the men's sprinting events.

Throw in the likes of Michelle Finn, who will be going for the gold in the ladies 200m, and triple-jumper Frank Rutherford, who trains under Tellez, but competes for the Bahamas, and the track scene looks even more similar to those that work out at Robertson Stadium.

Tellez also make the trek to Barcelona in order to coach the UH-bound track athletes.

Swimming comes next connection-wise with UH Head Swim Coach Phill Hansel applying his skills to the likes of Matt Biondi and Pablo Morales, and ex-Cougar Swim Coach Doug Campbell leading Great Britain's best pool dwellers.

Michelle Smith and Paola Penarrieta, who both swam under Hansel from 1989-91, will be swimming for their homelands, enlarging UH's link to the Olympics.

Smith, who carried the Irish national flag in the opening ceremonies, is representing Ireland, and Penarrieta will do her best for Bolivia.

Finally, other Cougar basketball players, besides Drexler, will also be carrying UH's honor into the games.

Venezuela will be incorporating the skills of Carl Herrera, who also plays for the Houston Rockets, and David Diaz, who will be returning to UH for his senior season in 1993.

Roland Ferriera, a former Cougar Red center in 1986-87, will participate on the Brazilian national team.

Adios!

US TEAM CAUSES INTERNATIONAL NIGHTMARE

COUGAR NOISE

--Rollins' Ravings

Mark my words, the 1992 Olympics will be the last time people will be able to "enjoy" the USA's professional basketball Dream Team giving international nightmares to every other country.

The simple question is, how can any person with a sensible competitive mind "enjoy" massacres levied by Magic, Michael, and the bunch?

To make matters worse, Charles "Bull Headed" Barkley has to rub it in when he delightfully elbows a poor Angolan in the chest with the American team about 40 points ahead. He got his first Olympic souvenir in a technical foul.

At least Croatia, with some NBA-caliber players, scored enough to stay within 33 points.

Wow! The red, white, and blue better watch out; that's the closest margin yet.

Their average winning percentage, hmmm, is just a mere 51.3 points per game. Oh yes, let's not forget Sir Technical Barkley, who go his second souvenir in two games after cursing the crowd. I guess it's all in a day's work for Barkley on the court.

Let's talk some more about Sir Tech, who, after being snubbed from the 1984 Olympic squad, said he would love to play for his country in 92. I think was he was really trying to say was that he would love to go out and show the world he can whip anybody's butt on the court.

And if you got a problem with it, you can go to hell.

You have to wonder what this guy is thinking. Send him back to the NBA, where he can whip on somebody his own size.

Besides "Bash em in" Barkley, the team has been wonderful ambassadors to the Olympic stage. But just how moral is it when everyone has already conceded the gold medal to the U.S., and the silver medal becomes the true goal for the rest of the world?

Even the Angolan coach expressed his hope that they could hold the Americans to a 45-point victory. The African Champions were just a tad over-matched, and the coach's prediction was lopsided as the score. They lost by 68 points.

Weren't the college guys doing a good job? They only lost two Olympics since basketball became an official event, in one '72 to USSR, and the other in '88 to Yugoslavia.

I think the real reason the NBA "dream for us, nightmare for them" team was put together is so that American hoopmeisers could let their psyches lay to rest, knowing that the USA is and always will be the big boys on the court in round-ball competition.

The NBA players were tired of watching the "lesser" college players barely win. The crusade to win the global basketball war is on, and the American are led by none other than General Tech Barkley, himself.

OILERS PRE-SEASON KICKS OFF SATURDAY, JAPANESE STYLE

By Keith Rollins

Daily Cougar

Can you imagine 6-6, 309-pound defensive lineman Doug Smith kicking off his size-14 sneakers, kneeling down under a small table and engulfing raw fish and rice wine at will?

There's only one place that such an ethnic connoisseur-type situating could occur, and that's during the Houston Oilers trek to Tokyo, Japan, for the NFL's international pre-season beginning.

The Columbia Blue will trade bows with their cross-state rivals, the Dallas Cowboys, at the "Egg Dome" this Saturday in the land of the rising sun, known for its fresh sushi and potent saki.

Japanese restaurants better get ready; after long-distance travel, old country boys tend to eat their fair share, even if they have to take their shoes off before entering the house.

Besides all the fine cuisine available, the Oilers are still not looking forward to going so far away to be ambassadors for the NFL.

To put it lightly, the Oilers aren't looking forward to their whole pre-season schedule. Due to the ever-interfering Republican National Convention taking place in the Astrodome throughout August, the team will be limited to away-games.

From Tokyo, the Oilers will travel to Detroit for a showdown with the Lions and will at least play in the same state against Dallas the next week at Texas Stadium.

Next, the schedule-maker placed a trip to Bourbon Street in the Oilers' travel itinerary to battle the Saints and finally on to Los Angeles to play the Raider Bad Boys.

After that, the Oilers will return home, which won't seem like home because they will have been away for five weeks, to meet Pittsburgh for the season-opener Sept. 6 in the Astrodome.

ONLY MEMORIES WILL REMAIN OF BEL AIR

By Gram Gemoets

Daily Cougar

The Bel Air Dollar Cinema will close its doors on Aug. 2. After 43 years, eight owners, two name spellings (Bellaire was the first) and three format changes, it's curtains for the long troubled theater.

A Houston tradition, the Bel Air opened to much fanfair in the fall of 1949. Originally, two screens running two separate features entertained audiences with films from the classic Hollywood era of the '40s and '50s.

Easter Parade, with Judy Garland, Fred Astaire and Peter Lawford, topped the bill at the theater's 1949 grand opening, with Flamingo Road, starring Joan Crawford, running on screen two.

But these film greats are a far cry from the theater's more recent venue. For the past seven years, the Bel Air has hosted a series of second-run "dollar cinema " greats.

As of late, "bargain pictures at bargain prices" has been the Bel Air's little publicized slogan, a theater spokesperson said.

Not to be discounted though is the notorious film noir classic The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

This feature, starring Susan Sarandon and Tim Curry, plays on weekends at midnight to a house packed with patrons costumed like the lead characters.

"Some nights, it is impossible to even see the movie because everybody is mimicking the title characters really loudly while standing in front of the screen," Loranne Newbury of the Bel Air said.

"It's really sad that we are closing, now all those freaks will have no place to go," another theater employee commented.

However, fans of the ghoulish classic have received a much desired reprive. The River Oaks 3 started running Rocky Horror last month.

"I'm not sure if they are the same weirdoes, but costumed theatergoers have been showing up in hoards since we started showing this movie and the Bel Air isn't even closed yet. After they close, there might not be any room for the fallout over here," Jack Greenville of the River Oaks said.

But for the Bel Air, this is not the first time the theater has teetered on the brink of financial destruction.

The theater closed in 1985 due to a lack of business and the general run-down condition of the building itself. However, a Dallas investment group leased the complex, fixed it up, and reopened under the new spelling.

"We changed the format from regular, commercial pictures to include films comparable to what the Greenway shows," a Bellaire manager said. He is referring to the Greenway 3 which is known to run foreign and otherwise out-of-the-way films.

"We added the Bel Air Bar and Grill downstairs as well as five new screens. We thought it would attract new business, but it worked only for a year or so," the same employee elaborated.

Finally, in the late '80s the Bel Air underwent yet another format renovation. Using their five screens and a heavy advertising blitz, the Bel Air announced its new price, one dollar.

This was not the end of the theater's problems.

In November 1991, the Bel Air was again planning to close its doors to the Houston public because of a dispute with Ye Health Seekers Health Food Store, a neighboring tenant in the Bel Air shopping complex.

Seekers complained about the general lack of parking spaces. Then, the Bel Air's management hit more financial trouble and missed a rent payment on December 1. The theater's owners were quick to cancel the lease and solve the dispute for good.

However, a large-scale phone and fax campaign to "save The Bel Air" began. The publicity, created mainly by parents, caused the landlords to renegotiate the lease and the theater was again saved, for a while anyway.

PEACEFEST BRIDGES CULTURAL GAP

By Amey Mazurek

Daily Cougar

To raise funds for its October rally, PeaceFest '92 will be rolling in a ReggaeFest at 8 p.m., Aug. 14, at Club Le Nouveau, 8670 S. Braeswood.

The African dance troupe Modemo will entertain the rasta crowd, followed by reggae music from the Dragon Flys.

"We're trying events in different communities to break down the barriers between cultures," said Don Schwarzkopf, executive director of PeaceFest.

"If your only contact with the Vietnamese is in 7-11s, then you have no idea how rich their culture is until you see a full-scare production by their dance production by their dance company," he said.

PeaceFest is schedule for October 17 and 18 in Sam Houston Park.

Three stages will supply constant entertainment for two days. Scheduled to appear are the Ace Jazz Band, Bangladeshi Dancers, April Hear (who also heads the entertainment committee), The Dogmen, Feo Y Loco, the Hightailer, Joe Guitar Hughes, Parks & Wildlife and True Faith.

Conferences at the Doubletree Hotel across from Sam Houston Park highlighting peace in the home and abroad will also be included with Sunday's entertainment. Gandhi, is tentatively scheduled to speak.

Schwarzkopf (who, incidentally, is related to Major General Norman Schwarzkopf) compared the media interest in war to its interest in peace.

"War is an active term," he said. "Its connotation is almost sexy. Peace doesn't have a definition. But our concept of peace begins within you, within the home, with the community.

Upcoming events include TejanoFest, focusing on Mexican culture; FolkFest, which will feature folk-singing and a Blues/ ZydecoFest, featuring the Cajun culture.

The funding comes from Peace Project, a local, non-profit organizations, and Lyrics, Lines & Motion, a theater-and-dance company founded in 1986 by Schwarzkopf.

DORM RESIDENTS MAY BE TAKING AIDS VIRUS TOO LIGHTLY

By Marcia Marbury

Daily Cougar

Although the incurable disease AIDS has already claimed millions of lives, UH students said that has not prevented them from having sex.

Several Cougar Place and Quadrangle residents said although they are practicing safe sex against a disease as deadly as the bubonic plague, they believe many other students are not.

"People don't take it (AIDS) very seriously. Even educated people think it won't touch them." Most of them have a "can't-touch-me-attitude," said a Cougar Place resident and UH law student who prefers to be called Rhonda.

Another Cougar Place resident named Barbara said students aren't practicing safe sex like they should because with "the policy we have at UH, 'Sex is convenient on campus.' Males and females can spend the night in each other's rooms." she said.

UH Health Center Chief Nurse Barbara Browner said she believes UH students may be "at risk" for contracting AIDS because like many other people , "they don't accept it as a serious problem. That's the sad part," she said.

She added, according to a 1991 article about college students and AIDS, out of the 13 million college students, 70 percent engage in sexual activities.

Findings in a 1991 study done by the American College Health Association, show two out of every 1,000 college students are HIV positive.

Also, a 1989-90 report form the College Student HIV Seroprevalence survey done at UH found two out of 437 UH students tested positive, she said.

She added, one reason is "A lot of students have misconceptions about how AIDS is contracted. The biggest is you can't get the HIV virus from oral sex."

A May 1992 UH graduate named "Scott" said it's impossible to be alive today and not have heard about how people contract AIDS.

UH basketball player Lloyd Wiles said AIDS information is in newspapers, magazines and on television.

People don't know about AIDS because they still "see it as a gay disease," Scott said.

Bart Loeser, education coordinator for the AIDS Foundation Houston Inc., said, "The only thing the general public knows about Aids is you can die from it. The main contribution to (AIDS) statistics is denial." But people who usually contract Aids today are both sexes between 20-29 years old, he said.

Scott said, "Young people feeling nothing bad will happen to them."

"I'm certainly more careful, but I could only speak for myself," he said.

Derrick Smith, a UH basketball player, said, "I practice safe sex, and I use a condom each time." Wiles said that although he always uses condoms, "A condom is not 100 percent protection, but that's the only protection we have now." However, Rhonda, a former resident advisor at North Texas State University, said she doesn't insist that her boyfriend of four years use of condoms.

"After two years of a monogamous relationship, we stopped using them," she said.

Barbara, 23, said she stopped having sex some years ago. "I practice celibacy."

She said she hasn't had sex because she hasn't "found a good mate."

Barbara added, even if she did find a partner, both of them would have to be HIV-tested.

"You never know in between those times (The development period). He still could be doing something. You just never know." Browner, who is a UH representative of the Advisory Representative Council to AIDS Consortium of Texas, said the development period, also known as the window period, for production HIV antibodies is three months.

If people don't test HIV-positive after at least five months with one person, the chances are they don't have the AIDS virus, Browner said.

However, Smith said because AIDS is an uncontrollable disease, the only way people can be sure is don't have sex at all.

"Abstinence (from sex) is a guarantee." Also, a monogamous relationship with an HIV-Negative person, Loeser said.

He added, 10 to 50 million people worldwide are expected to die from AIDS within the next couple of years.

Wiles said, "If you're gonna catch anything, it's probably going to be in college."

"No one wants to die, but you have to be careful because AIDS is something penicillin can't cure," he said.

STUDENTS AT HIGH RISK FOR STD'S

By Rhonda Smith

Daily Cougar

College students should be wary of sexually-transmitted diseases since people between the ages of 20 and 29 had the most cases of syphilis, gonorrhea and chlamydia in 1991 statistics reported by the City of Houston Health and Human Services Department.

A study of 20 college campuses, done by the Centers for Disease Control in Atlanta, GA., estimates that three of every 1,000 college students are infected with the AIDS virus, and one out to very 100 college students in HIV positive.

Cases of HIV being heterosexually transmitted are expected to increase 20 times over the next five years, according to the Condom Resource Center.

As of April, the total reported case load, which refers to all cases reported since 1981, for the Houston area is 6,512, according to the Houston Aids Surveillance Update.

The age group of 20-to 29-year-olds makes up 23 percent of that total.

A Houston area survey of 1,500 people, done by Telesurveys of Texas, reflects several attitudes about AIDS and STDs.

Teaching safer sex practices in public schools was favored by eight out of 10 respondents. HIV-testing by a private physician was respondents' first choice, followed by a hospital, then a public clinic.

The UH Health Center tested 197 students from Feb. 1990 to Feb. 1991. The following year, the number of students tested soared to 426. "Testing for HIV virus doubled after Magic Johnson reported to the press his HIV status," said Barbara Browner, Chief Nurse of the Health Center.

Condoms at the Health Center Pharmacy for 20 cents.

If you want a better selection, head out to Condoms Galore. Their best sellers are Rough Riders. They also provide free pamphlets and facts sheets about STD's

The New Students Orientation this year has a new program developed by the Dean of Students Office, along with consultation form the Counseling and Testing Center that will address sexual health issues.

The Counseling and Testing Center provides several workshops each semester dealing with sexual health issues. The center is working on a new program fro the fall to follow up on sexual health issues.