FOUNTAIN MAY RE-OPEN IN TIME FOR FALL

By Marcia Marbury

Daily Cougar

When UH Executive Secretary for vice president of External Affairs Diana Kowis looks out of her boss' office window in the E. Cullen building, the sight of a water-fall fountain probably isn't a pretty one to see.

But thanks to a $1.2 million portion of a $51 million gift donated by Mr. and Mrs. John Moores last year, water in the Cullen Family Plaza fountain is expected to come tumbling down the first day of the fall 1992 semester.

"I saw it when it worked 10 years ago. You had to have seen it then. It was beautiful. It was just serene. It would calm you down." With all of the man-hours it's taken, I think it will be worth every penny, Kowis said.

James Berry, associate vice chancellor of UH Facility Planning, said, "The water reflection and sculpture make a nice build and learning environment for students. It's a pleasant place," he said.

The approximately 20-year-old fountain began deteriorating about three years ago. After the earth's movement shook the pipes, they busted, causing water to gush out of the pipes underneath the cement.

"The whole bottom came up out of the water about three years ago. "I witnessed it, " said Rodger Peters, a UH graduate student.

The water got dirty because the fountain was dirty, Kowis said. Berry said the ground moved continuously.

Bill Moore, a project superintendent for Williams Development construction company, said the pipes gave away due to "old age."

However, he said, the state of the art and method of construction for fixing the fountain is "first class all the way."

"I've never seen the fountain, but I believe it was nice, "Moore said.

Moore admitted that the only hindrance to the project being completed by its scheduled date is the rain. It's hard to say when the project will be completed.

However, Berry said he anticipates the "present scheduled completion" is Aug. 31.

The birth of the fountain was between 1968-72. Originally, the monument extended from the E. Cullen building to the McElhinney building.

The College of Education building didn't exist when the fountain was first built, Berry said.

One of UH's main attractions was temporarily fixed when the 1990 World Economic Summit was held in Houston, and because President Bush came to visit the campus.

Pipes were laid on top of the surface of the concrete, and the fountain was turned on, Peters said.

But according to Berry, after the summit was over, the water from the fountain was drained.

When Philanthropist and UH alumnus John Moore and his wife gave the $51 million gift, they said, "They wanted the pool fixed," Berry said.

Bill Moore said the construction team, which consists of up to 35 workers, is working on the site sometimes up to 15 hours a day.

He said Williams Development gained the right to do the job at UH after it won the bid.

*******************************************************

ATHLETIC CENTER SET FOR GROUNDBREAKING IN APRIL

By Karen Snelling

Daily Cougar

Plans for the new alumni-athletic center,and a beginning construction date for the alumni-athletic center has been set for April 1, 1993, said Jim Berry, UH director of Facilities, Planning and Construction.

New athletic and alumni facilities have been discussed separately for awhile, UH Athletic Director Rudy Davalos said, but plans to combine the two into one building has only come about in the last six months. The needs of both organizations can be serviced by sharing with each other, he said.

He added that work can begin once the Board of Regents finalizes plans with various contractors such as construction and landscaping.

Construction for this facility will take about one and a half years, he said.

This new building will "be far superior to the small facilities we have now," Berry said.

The athletic area, which will completely replace the old facilities, will house offices for administration and coaches, storage space for all sports, locker rooms for athletes, a hall of fame center and a 200-seat meeting room, he said, adding that this meeting room could potentially be used as an auditorium.

Construction will also include revising the baseball field and rebuilding the tennis courts, which will be expanded to six varsity courts, six intramural courts and 250 spectator seats, Berry said.

Davalos mentioned that the athletic facility will have a state of the art training room, a medical rehabilitation center and an academic study area for the athletes.

Basketball and volleyball courts and a 120-yard Astroturf football field will be built inside the athletic area, and these facilities will be available for all students, faculty and staff at scheduled times, he said.

The alumni side will include administration offices for the alumni association, an alumni board room, a library and a multi-purpose room, Berry said.

He said the alumni area could also serve as a visitor center. "I'm not sure how much of a visitor center it will be," because that decision is up to the Alumni Association and the university, he said.

The joint facility will not be built at its originally-planned location on the corner of Cullen and Elgin, but instead will be located between Hofheinz and the baseball field, and the trees that were at first planned to be removed will be left alone, Davalos said.

In the new location, "it will be foolish to say no trees will be cut," Berry said. Construction might require a small number of trees be removed, but "we will also be enhancing the landscape around the lot," he said.

"No state funds are involved in the construction, maintenance or operation of this facility," said Rich Levy, director of communication for the Board of Regents.

This means that students' fees, which are included in state funds, will not be increased to build this new facility, he said.

Part of the $54.1 million gift of endowment given by John Moores last October will indirectly finance the facility through bonding, he said. The endowment is currently being used as security for bonds, and investors' proceeds for these bonds are being used to privately finance this project, he said.

Because his gift is such a legacy, it would be natural to name the new facility after Moores, Davalos said.

DISABLED STUDENTS' FACILITY LACKS ACCESSIBILITY IN CASE OF FIRE

By Melissa Neeley

Daily Cougar

Much talk has been devoted to the concerns disabled and able-bodied people share regarding the third-floor placement of the Center for Students with Disabilities.

Immediate change of location for the center, however, is not currently feasible because of problems finding a suitable building as a replacement.

An informal survey was carried out two years ago in which CSD called disabled students and asked if they wanted to move certain offices out separately or stay at the present location, said Karen Waldman, director of Handicapped Student Services.

Students answering the survey said they would rather the whole department move altogether rather than break up the offices until a building could be found to house all of them, she said.

CSD is comprised of several offices, including Texas Commission for the Blind, Texas Rehabilitation Commission, the computer room and the wheelchair repair room, she said.

"I know it's a high priority for the university to move us to the first floor (of the Student Service Center), but we don't know where. Also, our bathrooms are probably the best wheelchair-accessible bathrooms we have on campus; it's a shame to leave those behind after they spent all that money," Waldman said.

CSD is also growing because of the increase of students using its services; therefore, a larger facility than the current one will be needed, she said.

"In the past, there wasn't a problem with testing, but now we have so many students that several people may need to be tested at once. We don't always have adequate space in our area, so we've had to do some testing downstairs in the Career Planning and Placement Center," she said.

In case of fires breaking out in the building, there are large stairwell landings on both sides of the floor; if someone were in a wheelchair, he could be pushed to one of the two fire landings, she said.

"The only problem would be in high-volume periods when students are testing or there is an open house or meeting; any time we have more than six people in wheelchairs, it would become problematic," she said.

Several of UH's faculty are discussing the issue, and Waldman has hopes of seeing the agency moved within two years, she said.

Rodger Peters, a graduate student majoring in biology who is paralyzed from the neck down, said he worries he may not be able to escape from the building if it is on fire. Peters' wheelchair weighs 250 lbs., and he, himself, weighs 175 lbs.

"Some handicapped individuals can get up and walk just enough to get down the stairs, but the majority are unable to do it. Also, some of the offices like the computer room are hard to get in and out of if you're in a wheelchair," he said.

Peters visits CDS two to three times a week, mainly for repairs on his wheelchair and to borrow the student service van, he said.

"I think that basically the administration is moving too slow to alleviate the problem since it (CDS) has been up there since I have been at UH," said Peters, who has been attending UH since 1986.

Ila Thomas, who has also been attending UH since 1986, worries about a fire breaking out in the building.

Thomas was involved in a fire in her residence hall at UH-Downtown in 1985, she said.

Her room was located on the second floor. She feels she was saved from injury because her friends helped get her out of her wheelchair and carry her down the stairs, she said.

"Because of that incident, a few of us transferred from UH-Downtown, and we've always been really conscious of fire safety since then. I'm glad that at least in the residence halls, the handicapped students are located on the bottom floor," she said.

Thomas worries that if she is taking an exam and a fire breaks out in the CSD building, proper evacuation methods will not be known, and students will panic, she said.

She heard that CSD might move to another building, but she would like to see more definite results, she said.

MOVE TO THE HEAD OF THE CLASS

WILKES-BARRE, Pa. (CPS) -- First-year college students who sit in the front of the class are cool under pressure, skip less and get higher grades than those who sit in the back, according to an informal study.

Charles Brooks, chairman of King's College psychology department, said it's a snap to measure students' self-esteem by their seating choices.

"The more motivated, confident, and scholastically oriented students will generally choose the front," said Brooks, who conducted the study with the help of a student and the chairman of the human resources management department.

Brooks, a self-confessed back-row sitter until graduate school, said he became intrigued when he noticed that his female students sat in the front of the class, and the males in the back.

Brooks says he is uncertain whether this gender-phenomenon holds true in most classroom settings.

"Maybe the males think it is macho to sit in the back," he said.

However, through extensive testing, Brooks discovered that those who sit in the front score higher on self-esteem tests and are generally less anxious than those who sit farther from the professor.

"Some argue that the front rows create a better learning environment because students can see better, hear better and have more eye contact with the professor. But I have found that (students) do better because they have the type of personality that leads them to work harder. These traits dispose them to sit in the front of the room."

Brooks said the conclusions of the study are true only when there is self-selection in seating in a classroom that holds approximately 40-50 students with six to eight rows across, six to eight rows deep.

"The scores of motivation and self-esteem were highest in the first two rows and leveled off in the last four rows," Brooks said.

"I'd say that the study confirms what many teachers have observed through common sense," he said.

STAGES ACTS ON LAST-MINUTE DEAL; LOCAL THEATER WORDS TO SAVE HOME

By Gram Gemoets

Daily Cougar

On June 9, 1992, the Cougar reported that Stages, a local repertory theater, would be closing because of a lease dispute. This would have meant the end of a Houston tradition.

However, in a recent development, Stages has been offered the chance to buy its current residence. This unexpected turn for the better has overjoyed Stages' employees and supporters who have been expecting the worst for some time now.

If all goes well with the proposed purchase, Stages' home for the past seven years will remain just that, its home.

"We tried for over six months to either renew our lease or just buy the complex with no response, then, out of the blue, they call and offer to let us buy it," a Stages employee said.

Anne Wright, president of the Stages Board of Directors, said last Thursday that 3201 Allen Parkway Ltd., owners of the building, approached Stages on July 15, the final day of Stages lease, about buying the building. Jernard Gross, a partner in the Parkway firm, had been involved in a deal that would have turned the theater into an upscale apartment community.

That deal has apparently fallen through, and the owners are ready to sell.

However, Stages is taking a suspicious view of the entire proposed sale. Stages only has until August 15 to finalize the transaction, and its first offer of $700,000 has been refused.

"The building's owners made a counter offer of about twice what we offered, and we have not had time to present this to the board," Wright said.

Further investigation into the situation revealed it was Stages' long fight to stay (culminating in an appearance before City Council to beg help) that caused the Gross deal to fall through.

Wright said Stages received a letter from the Gross company stating that if Stages wasn't out by a certain date, the apartment development deal would fall through.

Since it did not appear that Stages had any intention of leaving without a good fight, the deal collapsed.

However, if Stages cannot successfully negotiate and settle a bid for the building quickly, the Gross firm stated its intention to renegotiate the apartment deal that originally threatened the theater in the first place.

"I think we can settle this and stay put in our current location. Stages has a lot of supporters, and we are not going to let money stand in our way," Wright added.

Stages had placed its fall season on hold. Now, thanks to the hope provided by the Gross firm, the theater has announced its new productions for the fall.

Stages employees stressed that their fall schedule is still "tentative" until the final escrow is filed on the sale.

Beginning Oct. 9-18, Stages will present <I>The Belle of Amherst<P>, to be produced in the Hamman Theater, its larger stage.

<I>Side by Side<P> by Sondheim is scheduled for Dec. 4-27, also on the Hamman stage. And a new play, set to be announced at a later date, will run from April 16-May 9.

KOSINSKI'S LIFE IS A PAGE FROM THE HISTORY BOOKS

By Jenny Silverman

Daily Cougar

While it is difficult to read for the sake of pleasure while attending a university, it would nevertheless be a great loss to miss a writer such as Jerzy Kosinski. His works are relatively obscure among popular culture.

He was an escapee of Nazi Germany who lost his family to Hitler's concentration camps but managed to survive by hiding in rural villages. He was taken in by foster families who used him for free labor. While with these families, he endured the most barbaric treatment imaginable, perhaps worse than those inflicted upon his family in concentration camps.

But Kosinski, unlike his family, lived to write about his youth and about the baseness he witnessed humans inflicting on one another.

Among his numerous works, <I>The Devil Tree<P> and <I>The Painted Bird<P> are perhaps the most graphic. These two works could almost be called surreal. <I>The Painted Bird<P> depicts graphic sexual acts such as bestiality. For Kosinski, sexuality used as a weapon is a recurrent theme.

Even though the Holocaust raged around Kosinski, he was immune to cruelties inflicted by the Nazis, but he endured a Holocaust of the soul inflicted by Polish peasants.

Freud said a person's personality is developed by age 5. The tragic events that comprised Kosinski's early childhood lingered like demons, forever haunting his subconscious.

Even though Kosinski was able to emigrate to America, he could never leave behind the tortures he suffered. It was no wonder he committed suicide in his mid-40s, only last year. Even though he achieved tremendous critical and popular acclaim for his literary genius, it was not enough to give him the will to live.

This fame and fortune could not silence the demons that raged within him, unwilling to be exorcised. So he exorcised them himself, allowing them to devour him, both body and soul, before escaping their grasp for eternity.

His suicide was a great loss to the literary community. He lives on only if we students of today and those of subsequent generations read his works and comprehend the base and vile behavior mankind has committed and remains capable of.

DISTINGUISHED ALUMNUS, ALVIN, KNOWN ON FIRST NAME BASIS

By Rhonda Smith

Daily Cougar

"Alvin, Alvin, Alvin," is what circus-goers echoed to Channel 13's only feature reporter in a tux at Ringling Bros. and Barnum and Bailey Circus last Thursday night. Perhaps a "hello" or a hand shake was anticipated by the many people calling his name. Or maybe they saw the Channel 13 camera man and hoped to get on T.V.

After two years and approximately 1500 segments of "Alvin at Night", most Houstonians know Alvin's place on Channel 13 News and share a closeness with him that enables them to be on a first- name basis.

Alvin's coverage of social events, both public and private, in the Houston area adds a lighter side exclusively to Channel 13's 10 p.m. Eyewitness News.

It plays an important role in keeping viewers tuned in to the variety of events Houston has to offer. And Houston does have a lot to offer; Alvin keeps busy Monday through Friday appearing at two to four events per night.

"Alvin at Night", which is only aired during the 10 p.m. news, is extremely timely. Alvin's nightly events he reports on occur the same night as they are aired. This time factor makes his job fast-paced with a high degree of spontaneity.

The big event for this night, which was the wedding of two circus performers, Dessi Kehaiova and Ivan Espana, occurring midway through the Ringling Bros. and Barnum and Bailey Circus show in the Summit, was not until 8:30 p.m. This gave us plenty of time to grab some burgers at Charlie's Hamburger Joint.

Alvin got lots of looks and a few requests for autographs. The three things Alvin said he gets told the most is "How many tuxedos do you have?", "it is not dark yet?" and "you look like you have the best job."

He said it isn't always easy running around in the Houston heat and rain trying to look presentable in a tuxedo. Channel 13 takes "Alvin at Night" very seriously. They postponed the segment only three or four times, twice because of Desert Storm.

"I try to make it (his segments) as entertaining as I can for all the folks watching who can't make it to all the things I go to," he said.

"Alvin at Night" was created two years ago this month by president and general manager of Channel 13, Jim Maseucci. The station feels that local events are newsworthy.

From a technical point of view, Alvin's segments are different because social events are planned, and he is able to know of some events well in advance. Alvin also produces his own segments.

Alvin and his camera man must work close together while briefly stopping at the events on the night's agenda. The circus was no exception. The pair must time it right to get the best footage and quickly get back to the station by 9 p.m. that evening.

Once at the station, they prepare the segment to be aired on the 10 p.m. News. This requires the editing skills of the camera man.

Before starting at Channel 13 in 1987 as a feature reporter, Alvin worked in radio. In addition to serving a semester on UH's Student Publications Advisory Board, he has a B.A. in RTV and geography from UH and a masters in liberal arts from Houston Baptist University.

UH-DOWNTOWN STUDENTS MEET NEW PRESIDENT

By Rhonda Smith

Daily Cougar

Faculty, students, staff and administrators at UH-Downtown have spent the past month getting acquainted with their new president, Max Castillo.

It shouldn't be too difficult to get to know Castillo because he uses the "MBWA" approach. That means management by walking around.

"It's a way of keeping in touch with the university community," Castillo said.

Getting to know people around campus is something he has practiced for nine years while president of San Antonio College. Castillo sets time aside at least twice a month to practice his "MBWA" method. So far, he has observed the students' perspective as agreeing with his future objectives.

As a bilingual native of West Texas, Castillo grew up helping his family with their farm animals and playing with friends. His teenage years were spent attending a Catholic high school in Southern California.

Castillo has a B.A. and an M.A. from St. Mary's University in San Antonio.

In an effort to gather information, he has been meeting with corporate, community and state higher education leaders and reviewing UH-D's academic programs.

George Magner, a UH professor in the Graduate School of Social Work, who spent 13 months as UH-D's interim president, said, "It is a very fine university that does a very difficult job well."

Magner, who cheered the search committee that brought him in, said Castillo has a good sense of humor and understands this type of institution.

Castillo's fall plans include working more with public schools and four-year colleges to aid in expanding UH-D's degree and transfer programs. Helping the Creative Partnership Campaign in fund-raising programs is also a goal.

UH-D facilities need expanding, Castillo said. There is a need for an adequate auditorium, bigger cafeteria, more classrooms and student space.

In the past, Castillo has been recognized as one of the nation's top 100 influential Hispanics by Hispanic Business Magazine and received the 1991 Distinguished Alumnus Award from UH's College of Education.

SOAPS AIM AT SUMMER

By Janet Singleton

(CPS) -- Will ruthless college student Briget Reardon get away with her dastardly plot? And will Billy Douglas stand up to the prejudices of his friends and admit his homosexuality?

Stay tuned to the day-time soap operas, which incorporate story lines about young people to hook high school and college students into watching the shows during summer vacation.

Nielsen ratings indicate the under-21 audience swells in the summer. So it's a time when soaps put out magnets for young viewers.

"They start building the youth-oriented plots in the spring, so that they're going full force in the summer," said Martha Carlson, editor of Daytime TV. "All the soaps do it."

For <I>One Life to Live<P>, that means Billy Douglas, played by Ryan Phillippe, will struggle with his homosexuality, said Daytime Dial columnist Linda Hirsch.

In August, TV viewers can expect teen-age characters all over soapland to become more vulnerable to the perils of AIDS, pregnancy, drugs, mental illness and generic heartbreak.

"Also, there are more young love stories," said Doug Marland, head writer for <I>As the World Turns.<P> "High school and college-age kids are part of our larger audience. Because the family is not as close-knit as it used to be a lot of kids today love to see these fantasy (soap opera) families who are always there for each other."

Once soap operas were considered the lowest form of entertainment, even below the level of game shows.

But Hirsch said soaps now have penetrated college life to the degree that "students plan their schedules around them."

But expect young characters to be pushed out of the limelight in the fall, Carlson said.

"Sometimes the plotlines end abruptly. Last summer on <I>Days of Our Lives,<P> they started a story involving teen-agers and a movie star, then threw in some drugs and intrigue," Carlson said.

By late August it was all wrapped up: the teen-age characters disappeared, the crime was solved, and no mention was made of it again, she said.

But that's not always the case, Hirsch said. The saga of Roger Thorp and Holly Lindsey, for instance, started out on <I>The Guiding Light<P> as a story of young love over 20 years ago, during the summer of 1971.

Roger turned mean over the next decade, went on a crime spree and met a horrible yet much-deserved demise by tumbling off a cliff.

"He was a murderer, a rapist and a kidnapper," said Marland, who wrote for the <I>The Guiding Light<P> in the early 1980s. "And I killed him dead."

The villain didn't stay dead, though. Nine years after Garland left the show, the current writers wrote Roger back into the script, miraculously reformed. Actor Michael Zaslow resumed the role.

"Nobody was more shocked than I when Roger came back from the dead," Marland said.

PEROT'S OUT, BUT VOTER HAVE ALTERNATIVE TO BUSH, CLINTON

By Amey Mazurek

Daily Cougar

Socialist presidential candidate James Warren is full of fire for the upcoming election, and he is offering economic and social alternatives to the Bush and Clinton campaigns.

He'd like to see the work week shortened without a reduction in pay.

He'd also like to implement a national public works program, such as one to update the highway transportation infrastructure. Such a program would provide jobs for millions, he said.

"We should forget how expensive it is, or how 'practical' according to some politicians," Warren said. "We need to focus on the context of our needs."

"Sixty-seven percent of our budget goes to two things," he said, "military spending and servicing the U.S. government debt."

Also, families that own bonds collect billions of dollars in interest. Warren is totally against paying them the interest, but instead, supports using that money to help pay the debt.

When asked about Bush sending troops to Iraq, Warren said both Bush and Hussein were grabbing for land and resources. War is one of the consequences of capitalist dependence on profit.

"War doesn't necessarily lead to jobs," socialist candidate for Congress (25th District) Matt Hereshoff said, "but the fact that things, like factories, power supplies, and so on, get destroyed in the war creates opportunities for capitalists to rebuild.

"For working people like you and me, war is devastation and slaughter. For capitalists, it means plundering both the capitalists and the working people in other countries. It also means the destruction of economic competitors."

Campaign supporter Chuck Guerra joined the socialists when he realized, "The war in Vietnam was hardly over with, then the U.S. went to war with South America, then the Middle East, which led me to question the system we live under."

According to Guerra, the capitalist economic system requires wars, whether they are trade wars or shooting wars. "...This is where working people are sent into (shooting) wars--to ensure profits."

The socialists offer an alternative.

"Our idea is production for human need and not for profit," Guerra said. "What we need is <I>not<P> what will make the most profit for the person who owns the factory."

He said the way to solve economic and social problems is for individuals to take the initiative, rather than waiting for an elected official.

"Most working people believe that if you vote for the right person, that person will solve our problems for you. But what we've been learning is that no matter who gets elected, our standard of living goes down.

"For example," Guerra said, "just because you elect a union boss doesn't mean you'll automatically get higher wages. You've got to go on strike with your fellow workers."