UH MAKES THE GRADE WITH STATE REP.

By Meagan McGovern

Daily Cougar

Unknown to most students, UH is currently working on the cutting edge in two fields of science -- UH is the world leader in superconductivity and is scheduled to send a dish into space next fall to grow semiconductors.

When state representative Garnet Coleman visited campus on Tuesday, he was unprepared for what he saw. "I was very fascinated," he said. "I didn't know this was here," Coleman said, "and I try to keep up on things by reading."

UH professor C. W. Paul Chu was the first to discover a feasible form of superconductivity, a process using materials which conduct electricity with no resistance and no loss of energy.

"We set the record in many, many, things," Chu said.

Chu's discovery takes the concept of superconductivity, which was discovered in 1911, and improves it.

Conventional superconductors must be cooled to the temperature of liquid helium, which boils at 4K (Kelvin).

With Chu's new discovery of ceramic superconducting materials that boil at the temperature of liquid nitrogen, which is 77K, all kinds of applications are possible.

Chu spoke to Coleman about The Texas Center for Superconductivity at UH (TCSUH) and the fate of the center in the future, in the face of huge budget cuts the university is facing when the legislature meets in the Spring.

Before Coleman's visit to TCSUH, he visited the Space Vacuum Epitaxy Center on campus. The center has plans to develop space commercially by convincing businesses that space ventures could be profitable, Alex Ignatiev, the center's director, said.

The center plans to send a device into space in November of next year to grow crystals to use as semiconductors. The semiconductors grown in space would be eight times faster and more efficient than the ones currently in use, Ignatiev said.

The crystal must be grown in a vacuum to avoid contaminants, and even the best vacuums available on earth can't do the job properly, he said. The crystals grown on earth in a vacuum are only two times as fast as the non-vacuum types, he said.

The UH device in space will be sent up on the space shuttle and will use a substance called gallium arsenide to provide a surface to grow the crystals. UH has collaborated with NASA and with businesses to provide the funding for the project.

Coleman was impressed with the scope of both projects, he said. Coleman said after his visit, "If this helps me understand the situation at UH, I can take this back to my colleagues and say, 'There's something special going on here.'"

"We're very grateful to the state of Texas -- no other state has vision like this. Eventually, after the center develops, we'll be self-sufficient. When that happens, we'll be a predominant force in the world," Chu said of TCSUH.

The only problem that could influence the scenario is a budget cut.

Chu said TCSUH is not focused just on the needs of UH and the scientific community. "We're very sensitive to the needs of the people in the community. We have to be responsive to their needs. The general public is more interested in the impact this has on their lives than in the details."

Coleman was taken inside Chu's lab, where he was shown a sample superconductor. A small magnet seemingly floated above a bath of liquid nitrogen in a bed of Styrofoam. The process of semi-conduction allows scientists to keep magnets that are repelled against each other in line and float.

The applications of this process are virtually unlimited. Transportation could be improved with the use of magnetically levitated trains, which would be more energy efficient than current forms of transportation.

"We can use this (superconductivity) in ways we never thought of," he said.

Chu said TCSUH now has a contract with Boeing.

Boeing is going to use the new concept to pull dents out of their airplanes and to hold the edges of the frame together while it's being welded, according to Chu.

Currently, Boeing must use huge electromagnetic generators for both procedures. With the superconductor, the cost is cut.

*******************************************************

'ICE MAN' SUSPENDED

By Crosby King

Daily Cougar

UH Hilton Manager Dennis Caylor has been placed on suspension, said R. Hugh Walker, dean of the College of Hotel and Restaurant Management.

The suspension follows a UHPD investigation into possible wrongdoings by Caylor, in which he allegedly misused state property for personal reasons. In June, Channel 13's Wayne Dolcefino reported Caylor had used a university van and UH employees to transport his ice sculptures, which he carved at the south end of the hotel.

This suspension marks the latest in an across-the-board house-cleaning at the beleaguered HRM college. On June 26, then-Dean Joseph Cioch and Associate Dean David Hayes resigned amid a police investigation, an internal audit and a management review.

The two administrators were investigated because of allegations concerning a misuse of funds, sexual harassment, and later, unauthorized use of expense accounts.

An HRM college graduate, Caylor worked at the American Restaurant Association for more than three years before taking the position at the Hilton, where he has worked for five years.

An administrative assistant, Gloria McLendon-Torre, said he has carved hundreds of ice sculptures for groups on and off campus and added he never sold a piece for less than $100.

UHPD Assistant Chief Frank Cempa revealed the police had been conducting an investigation involving Caylor's actions since Channel 13's televised report in mid-June. He said UHPD was running the investigation independent of the UH administration. "We're working the criminal end of it," he said.

POW-MIA FAMILIES FIGHT FOR ANSWERS, JUSTICE

By Ericka Schiche

Daily Cougar

For many, it is easy to get lost in the wilderness of life or be weighted by doldrums as the summer season winds down.

August, the last month before school children begin toting their lunches and books, holds special significance for Kelly McNamee, however. On Aug. 16, 1968, her father, a volunteer Air Force fighter pilot, became one of about 2,266 Americans to be declared Missing In Action or a Prisoner Of War from the Vietnam War.

At 6 years old, she learned her father, Col. Michael O. McElhanon, had been struck down while flying a mission in an F-100A plane, of which she said there is a "high probability that he was flying a mission over Laos."

Born in Dallas and now living in Houston, McNamee has in many respects, "grown up" since her days as a kindergartner. "At one time, I hoped if there is one man there (in southeast Asia), he would be my father," she said.

She graduated from Texas A&M University with a degree in civil engineering and went on to a career as a licensed engineer, designing highway bridges. If he is alive, Col. McElhanon has a baby granddaughter and a son-in-law.

Eventually, the tables may turn, with the elder McNamee explaining to a young Katherine McNamee who her grandfather was, is and always will be.

As she prepared to undergo the Caesarean section operation that resulted in the birth of Katherine, McNamee carried a photograph of her missing father with her.

Memories of her father linger not only in her mind, but in the form of reel-to-reel 8mm films, photographs, medals, his flight suits, high school and college rings and a wedding band.

"If my father is alive, there is nothing more important to him than getting back to his family. I know in my heart of hearts that out of at least 2,000 soldiers, there should be one man alive," she said, clinging to hope.

As a relative of a missing soldier, she knows something about hopes: they can be dashed. "I've been lied to by some of the best experts," she said, still frustrated by the snail's pace at which the federal government seems to be moving on this matter.

McNamee has spent 24 of her 29 years hoping, wondering, coping and sometimes crying.

While she has been given three sets of coordinates of places over which her father might have been struck down, other families have no clues about the possible whereabouts of their loved ones, only statistics indicating the country of loss: There are 1,658 soldiers for Vietnam (604 in the north, 1,054 in the south), 519 for Laos, 81 in Cambodia and eight for Chinese territorial waters.

McNamee has channeled her intense emotions into an effort to keep her father's memory alive by participating as a member of the National League Of Families Of American Prisoners And Missing In Southeast Asia and by serving as a local spokesperson on the issue.

She is one of over 3,750 members of the Washington, D.C.-based non-profit, non-partisan organization.

"Stamina... endurance, or, as my father would have said, 'stick-to-it-iveness,' the will to hang in there, despite the frustrations and exhaustion. . .Yes, we want and deserve answers. But I also believe we have a responsibility to ensure that our country does what is right, that promises are filled and commitments are honored," said Ann Mills Griffiths, executive director of the league, in an address at the 23rd annual meeting, held the weekend of July 25-26 at the Stouffer Concourse Hotel in Crystal City, Virginia.

During the meeting, as many Americans discovered to their shock and dismay, President George Bush appeared to direct some harsh statements toward a group which stood in opposition to him when they chanted, "No more lies, tell us the truth."

Seemingly, in reply to the disruptive behavior, he shouted, "Would you please be quiet and let me finish. Would you please shut up and sit down." Many considered his response to be just another foible along a campaign trail littered with embarrassing gaffes and mistakes.

However, his remarks have been misrepresented in broadcasts featuring footage of the meeting, wrote Griffiths in literature written to clarify what happened during the incident: "The president was addressing a print journalist, yelling from the media staging area at the back of the room. If the president had been reacting to any of the rude individuals who were distorting the views of the majority, it would have been justified."

Griffiths issued an apology to President Bush on behalf of the league.

While some would say Bush has not had many merits tallied for his handling of education, economic and environmental issues, it does seem as if he has gained the confidence of some who are on the front lines of the POW/MIA issue.

"You have done more than any other president to resolve this issue. Under the direction of Secretary of Defense Dick Cheney, you have established the first Office of POW/MIA affairs; established offices in Southeast Asia equipped with short-notice investigative teams; dispatched dependable envoys to the Soviet Union to investigate possible American POW/MIAs; actively researched and are releasing more than 1.3 million pages of POW/MIA documents, more than 40 percent of which have already been released," wrote Rep. Sam Johnson (R-Texas), with the assistance of four fellow representatives, in a letter sent to the White House on July 24, 1992.

Johnson, who took office in May of 1991, served as a fighter pilot in Korea and Vietnam, received two Purple Hearts, the Distinguished Flying Cross, two Silver Stars and endured three and a half years of solitary confinement during a seven- year imprisonment in Hanoi.

He helped establish the Republican Congressional Leadership POW/MIA Task Force, which will serve as a clearinghouse for information on the issue.

Nevertheless, some, such as Kelly McNamee, are anticipating new leads, noting that much of the information filtered recently by the Senate Select Committee on MIA/POW Affairs is not news to them. "A lot of work has been done, but it's 20 years too late. I've lived through 24 years of stalling," she said.

"Unfortunately, elections aside, 1991 has been the least productive year of 10 years," she said of the snail's-pace flow of information and the low number (three) of soldiers' remains that have been repatriated.

McNamee's father had been memorialized "with a little tiny marble inset in grass," but such things never eased the family's pain. To stay on course, she draws on faith, a woman's intuition, drive stamina and human spirit.

She said recent admissions made during hearings of the Senate Select Committee reveal something she has known for years: "The government lied about (by saying no missions were flown over) Laos."

Her disappointment is obvious: "I don't have enough faith in my government to send a child of mine off to war," McNamee said. "I don't believe the U.S. government would do everything in its power to return the child home."

PHONE-IN CLASSES IN UH'S FUTURE

By Adam King

Daily Cougar

Statisticians have deduced that the average American will spend what amounts to years of their life standing in lines. College registration is contributing to this fact, and UH is no exception.

The fall of 1992 at UH will bring approximately 33,000 students to the campus with only a small percentage of those going through priority registration -- meaning long lines for the rest of the student body.

"Going through registration, first of all, it's like cattle," said Anuradha Prasad, a senior bio-chemistry major. "Get as many as you can and brand them and get them in and then out."

Prasad said registration by phone would alleviate the grief she has experienced with the present system.

Director of Registration and Academic Records Mario Lucchesi said the registration process will be upgraded but wouldn't say when.

"I can't give you specifics because the agreement was that we (the administration) all get together and give you (the media) a story at one time because it involves computing, it involves me, it involves the bursar, it involves a lot of people," Lucchesi said.

Lucchesi agreed that the present system needed improvement.

"When you go to your department (to register), ideally there should be a terminal there, and if you're eligible to go on the system, you just go on and book the classes, and you're done," Lucchesi said.

"The way to address that is to decentralize the system. Right now, we're limited in our capability, 20 terminals in one location, and we have 200 terminals on campus in multiple locations. That's one way of doing it.

"The other way is bringing in voice-response technology. Your telephone becomes a terminal."

Schools such as Texas A&M and the University of Texas have already been blessed with the advanced phone technology touted as the future for all college registration.

Don Gardner, the associate registrar for A&M, said the phone system has made registration more efficient, cost-effective and student oriented.

"You can be shootin' pool and drinking beer in London and just pick up the phone and register," Gardner said.

Gardner said each student can call one of 96 phone lines using their personal identification number to register or find out their final grades for the semester.

Linda Ogheden, a post-graduate biology student, said she had no problem getting her classes because she went through priority registration but hopes phone-line registration will become a reality at UH soon "especially since I live out northwest."

"I wish I could have dropped a class by phone," Ogheden said. "It would have been more convenient."

LEWIS TO PARTICIPATE IN OLYMPIC 4X100M SPRINT

By Keith Rollins

Daily Cougar

The elder statesman of track, UH-ex Carl Lewis, will now be sprinting in Barcelona, an unforeseen notion until Olympic qualifier Mark Witherspoon went down, due to an Achilles tendon injury in the 100-meter semi-finals in Spain last week.

Lewis, who finished sixth at the U.S. Track Trials, will use his alternative status to again anchor the 4x100m relay team for the third Olympics in a row.

After speaking with coaches, Lewis said he would never have replaced anybody on the team unless there was an injury and that the race is now dedicated to Witherspoon, who will be out of race action for six months to a year.

If the gold medal were to emerge from the relay team, which will now consist of Mike Marsh, Leroy Burrell, Dennis Mitchell and Lewis, it will mark Lewis' first or second, depending on his success in the long-jump competition, an official three-peat "golden" performance in the Olympics.

In Wednesday's jumping action, Lewis qualified for the finals with a leap of 28' 5". His nemesis, Mike Powell, the world-record holder, also qualified for the jump-off.

Lewis, Marsh and Burrell all train together in Houston at UH's Robertson Stadium under the watchful eye of UH Track Coach Tom Tellez.

These three, along with American Floyd Heard, who missed out on his attempt to make the Olympic team, set world-record times just months before the trials.

Take out Heard and add Mitchell, who was first in the 100m final at the U.S. trials and has already won the bronze medal in this year's Olympic 100m, and the team looks even more formidable.

After the U.S. trials, Lewis was given a wake-up call by up-and-coming American sprinters. He was shocked after being eliminated from the 100m and 200m races.

And since the top four finishers in the 100m final compete in the 4x100m relay, Lewis was torn away from all of the sprinting events he had dominated in the last two Olympics.

Lewis' poor performance, by his standards, was due to a serious sinus infection. The illness is gone, and Lewis is ready to anchor his team to victory.

Although Witherspoon's injury is a serious tragedy, the team and Lewis will live on through the Olympic spirit and compete as favorites in the 4x100m race.

Lewis said Witherspoon would undoubtedly be in his and the other Americans' hearts during the race.

COUGAR NOISE...

ROLLINS RAVINGS

Try this tonight: When the Olympic boxing matches come on, turn down the sound on the television and pump up the Muzak.

In doing this, you, along with every other person watching the Americans, can relax, rather than be annoyed by the broadcasters' constant nagging about the newly-adopted electronic scoring system.

Rather than call the match taking place, the guys have their own little fight on the side, continually punching out the reputations of veteran foreign boxing referees and judges.

Granted, the scoring system is crude in its Olympic infancy, but hey, these officials aren't the problem. It's just that the scoring system plain sucks. Sorry, Al Bernstein and Bob Trumpy, leave the problem alone.

By the way, it seems to our "Bruisin' Broadcasters" that only the Americans are wreaking havoc on the scoring system from hell.

I've always thought there were two guys in the ring who are both being evaluated by the same system.

Regardless of any criticism, that is fair competition, and that is what the games are all about.

I'm sorry medal-favorite Eric Griffin lost in his second-round fight against an unknown underdog, 6-5.

The two fighters were scored by the same judges, at the same time interval and under the same scoring system. That is why Griffin's appeal to the Olympic committee was denied, and he had to endure the loss, again.

You can call it B.S., but the unknown boxer went on, just like the broadcaster's nagging.

And as long as they go on, so will Barry Manilow and his elevator music. "I write the songs that make the whole world sing, I write..."

HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMP LENDS HAND TO FALLEN OLYMPIC STAR, GRIFFIN

Cougar Sports Services

Eric Griffin was offered a helping hand and an understanding voice from heavyweight champion Evander Holyfield. After all, both boxers have experienced the turmoil of losing in Olympic competition due to poor officiating.

Griffin clearly won his second-round, light-welterweight match, but was dealt a loss because of the newly introduced electronic scoring system.

In a similar event in the '84 Olympics, Holyfield was ousted from his match, with a sizable lead over his opponent, because he supposedly threw a punch after the referee called for a break, a call Holyfield did not hear.

Holyfield said he knows how Griffin feels, and he is trying to help the amateur boxer overcome this disappointing loss.

The two met over the weekend in Barcelona, and Holyfield consoled the Louisiana native, but added that he was very hurt even though he was not crying or falling apart.

Holyfield added that the Americans must stand up for what is right, be examples and make the officials play fair.

In other Olympic boxing news, Tim Austin, Oscar De La Hoya and Chris Byrd have all clinched medals in their respective weight classes. Raul Marquez, Larry Donald and M. Griffin were all eliminated Tuesday night after failing. Each match was debatable due to the Olympic scoring system.

COUGAR FOOTBALL IS BACK AGAIN

by Keith Rollins

Daily Cougar

Break out the pigskin, we're going out to the gridiron!

In layman's terms, get out the footballs, the Cougars are about to begin their '92 season.

It's that time of the year again, when coaches are preparing plays, and players are preparing their bodies for the start of two-a-days, beginning Aug. 15.

The Cougars said good-bye to David Klingler and 18 other lettermen last year en route to a 4-7 record and said hello to a seemingly more mature defense and offensive line.

But still, questions linger.

Who will take the place of Klingler, who is a hold-out for the NFL's Cincinnati Bengals, this fall?

Junior Donald Douglas looks to be the top gun in the arms race because of his experience. He was the starting quarterback at Florida his freshman year, leading them to the Gator Bowl in 1990 before transferring to UH.

However, David's little brother, Jimmy Klingler, will try to throw his arm into the starting spot this fall also.

After that matter is settled, Jenkins and Defensive Coordinator Melvin Robertson must figure out a way to make the defense more consistent.

Last year, "we looked extremely impressive at times in our victories over Texas and Louisiana Tech, where we were completely dominating. And yet, we were casual and lax on other occasions," Jenkins commented in the Cougars' 1992 Media Guide.

After all, the Cougars' offense averaged 32 points per game in its losses, "and that would have been enough to win most games."

The offensive line should be better, considering that all the 1991 starters will return for another campaign with increased size and experience.

Lastly, the kicking game will be looking for a new leg since there is not a proven punter or place-kicker on the squad.

BASKETBALL SCHEDULE TO INCLUDE NON-CONFERENCE BIGGIES IN '93

Cougar Sports Services

The Cougar basketball team will face its toughest schedule yet in the 1992-93 season.

Besides the usual conference games, the Cougars will butt up against non-conference biggies like North Carolina, UCLA, Louisville, DePaul and Wyoming. Cougar fans will only get to see Louisville and Wyoming up-close at Hofheinz this year, but in 1993-94, fans will be treated by a rare UCLA visit, igniting an old rivalry from the past.

After adding one more non-conference team to their schedule, the Cougars will have an NCAA-mandated 26-game schedule.

Texas-San Antonio and Southwestern Louisiana look to fill a vacant December time slot.

If the Cougars have success over many of these teams, respect for the squad would be imminent.

Last year, Houston finished 25-6, gaining the SWC crown, but bowed out early in its first-round loss to Georgia Tech in the NCAA Tournament.

They again will be favored with the improved play of Charles Outlaw and the recruitment of high-rated junior college prospects, like Anthony Goldwire, and high school prospects, like Brandon Rollins.

CLINIC-DEFENSE TRAINING MOTIVATES THE TROOPS

BY AMEY MAZUREK

Daily Cougar

A line of sweaty people, two deep, bent into a U-shape around the back door of the white-walled Allen Parkway Village Community Center gymnasium, arms and legs interlocked, braced themselves for the onslaught of five "Operation Rescuers."

Those interested in keeping women's clinics open while Operation Rescue bombards Houston August 11-22 attended clinic defense training sessions here at 8:30 a.m. last Saturday.

The whistle blew, and the "rescuers," picked out randomly from the crowd of about 150, charged the lines. Shrill voices from all around called out encouragement for the defense.

A couple of them unsuccessfully struggled to get in, and the others searched for openings and were only able to squeeze their heads between legs or torsos. But when the whistle blew again, the line had held steady, and everyone cheered.

Just like the TV images of Operation Rescue in Buffalo, N.Y., or in Baton Rouge, La., clinic defense can be rough when rescuers charge clinic doors -- almost like a contact sport.

Clinic defenders are instructed not to fight back, but to maintain the line and call police officers' attention by yelling, "Harassment!"

Sunni Smith, who wore a "LOUIE DON'T SHOOT" T-shirt, had earlier joined the training session with a bull horn. "I've been talking so much, my voice is gone."

She talked about Operation Rescue in Baton Rouge, and how she infiltrated the anti-choice rallies. "I had a free meal every night during those rallies," she said. "If you can imagine -- free meals for 2,800 people in the churches. Are these people organized or what?"

After the pro-lifers ate, they kept a prayer vigil until it was time to gather for OR. "There were 2,800 people in the Sheraton parking lot at 3 a.m.," Smith said. "They had big, long banners and a band playing."

She was awestruck when they began marching to the clinic in unison. "Even though I don't believe in what they do, it was a beautiful crusade."

After Smith, Jennifer Sinding, a clinic-defense trainer who had also been in Baton Rouge, took over. She talked about the Lambs of Christ. "They are one of the most violent groups," she said. "They block clinics for a living. They travel around the country, and this is what they do."

She stressed that in confrontations with OR, "You can't change their minds, but we're defending health care, and you have to keep in mind that what you're doing is right."

She also mentioned a Houston organization involved with OR, To Rescue Unborn Tiny Humans (TRUTH).

During the first break in the session, a flood of trainees walked outside, where two Suburbans carrying pro-lifers prowled the streets, copying down license plate numbers. Apparently, they access addresses from license plates, but they only send letters.

A woman from the community center stayed outside to make sure they wouldn't come back.

On return, Sinding talked about defense safety.

"You do not want to wear skirts -- believe me!" she said. "People may come in between your legs and..." the gymnasium broke into laughter as she covered her mouth.

She offered other safety tips, such as removing jewelry, putting up long hair so it couldn't be pulled, wearing shoes without open toes and dressing coolly.

Water would be provided to defenders by the "water brigade," who would come up to refresh thirsty individuals in the lines at the clinics.

First-aid stations will be set up. Defenders were advised not to use the bathrooms alone. "If you go to the bathroom," Jennifer said, "OR goes too. Get a buddy."

Keeping a sense of humor during rescues is important. During a demonstration of the line on stage, she asked, "Why do angels fly in circles?" After a moment's pause, "Because there's no right wing in heaven."

Onstage, too, was Kira Bacal, wearing a "Religious Coalition for Abortion Rights" T-shirt. After training was over, she was quite willing to talk.

"We don't want government imposing where we can take care of our own parishes and congregations," she said. "We don't approve of abortion necessarily, but we don't approve of government control. We uphold individual rights."

The coalition is interdenominational, though it is predominantly Orthodox, Jewish and Catholic and is more active in the northeast part of the US. Bacal, herself, is Jewish.

Persons interested in volunteering for clinic defense, not just in the front lines but in relief and organizing, should contact the Clinic Defense Hotline at (713)981-2884.

PRO-LIFE STANCE TO BE DEFENDED AT CONVENTION

By Jenny Silverman

Daily Cougar

"Our primary goal is to save children from abortion."

This statement was made by Cherry Vaughn, a member of Operation Rescue, a pro-life organization based in California. Vaughn is working in Houston for Operation G.O.P., the task force formed to make sure the Republican platform upholds its anti-abortion stance.

"Rescue those who are unjustly sentenced to Death, don't stand back and let them Die." [Prov 24:11] This is the often-quoted proverb that is the foundation of Operation Rescue.

Members of Operation Rescue will come from all over the country for Operation G.O.P. However, 70 to 90 percent of the organization's members are from Houston and its surrounding areas.

Scheduled to speak at the rallies are Congressmen William Danmeyer of California, Joseph Scheiller, dubbed the "Green Beret" of the pro-life movement, Pastor Norm Stone, noted for his protest "Walks Across America," Carol Everett, former abortion clinic owner, and author George Grant, who encourages people to educate themselves about the abortion issue.

The rallies will be held at Camp McClelland in Kingwood Aug. 11-15 and Aug. 17-20.

Operation G.O.P.'s head of the Communications Department, Wendy Right, stated "We will commit acts, not of civil disobedience, but biblical obedience."

The founder of Operation Rescue is Randall Terry, a graduate of Elim Bible Institute in Binghampton, New York. Upon graduation, Terry started a crisis pregnancy center and was so moved by the issue, he began Operation Rescue in 1988.

Bruce Cadle of Palm Bay, Florida, is a former real estate developer. He became active in Operation Rescue after attending local church services. "I felt that it was time to do more than just talk about God; the time had come for more than just passive prayer," he said.

Cadle is now the field director for Operation Rescue. His wife is also fully dedicated to the cause. He said not only will she march and try to block women from entering clinics, but his 10-year-old daughter will participate also.

"I literally believe abortion is murder and that babies are not the only victims," he said. "Women who receive abortions carry emotional scars for life."

Cadle said all women who undergo abortions suffer from a disease similar to post-traumatic stress disorder. This disease has been termed by the pro-life sanctions as post-abortion syndrome.

He also said not enough people realize women are being emotionally slaughtered, and the aim of Operation Rescue is to save not only babies, but mothers as well.

Cadle estimates there will be approximately 1,500 to 2,000 Operation Rescue workers at the Republican Convention.