GOVERNORS PRAISE BUSH, LINE-ITEM VETO

By Ericka Schiche

Daily Cougar

The man heralded for his approaches to solving problems eating at the core of American cities left no impression on forum attendees Tuesday.

Secretary of Housing and Urban Development Jack Kemp failed to show up at a panel discussion titled "Government Reform: Breaking the Gridlock."

However, those in attendance spoke of a need for presidential line- item veto power, creative solutions to educational problems and the North American Free Trade Agreement.

Secretary of Agriculture Edward Madigan said there is a likelihood the number of manufacturing jobs will increase from 611,000 to 1 million by 1995.

Although some in the area of education say President Bush has failed at his self-proclaimed title of "education president," Secretary of Education Lamar Alexander said Bush has made a commitment.

He said Bush is in favor of schools which address specific community needs, exams which more adequately test students' abilities and a move to "get government off the teachers' backs."

He said education structures, "fundamentally designed for our grandparents," "stymie our teachers and bore our students."

To combat what they say is a Democrat-imposed gridlock, panelists such as Wisconsin Governor Tommy Thompson said, "We have to do things at the state level. We can't wait for Washington."

Thompson said Bush has been flexible in giving Republican governors more leeway to implement their own creative programs.

One such example Thompson listed is his state's approach to educating high school students who don't want to go to college.

He said the apprenticeship program, modeled after Germany's educational program, affords juniors and seniors the opportunity to learn a marketable skill while still attending high school.

Michael Deland, chairman of the Council on Environmental Equality, said a travesty of the Bush administration is the skeptics' assessment of Bush's performance on the environmental front.

He said the fact that the enforcement budget is up 72 percent, 57 wildlife refuges have been established and the passage of the Clean Air Act prove he has gotten a bad rap. "You would have to reach back to Teddy Roosevelt to find a president who is as active" on the issue of the environment, Deland said.

Privatization, an issue Massachusetts Governor William Weld addressed, did not fire the panelists up like the line-item veto issue. Massachusetts has benefitted from privatization of government service, Weld said, referring to maintenance of public highways. He said his state sands roads five times a year instead of two, and services created for the mentally retarded have helped alleviate problems.

On the issue of higher education, Alexander (who will send three of his children to college next year) said he understands the frustration of those who have to scrape the lining of their pockets to pay for education. He decided to focus on the positive statistics. Calling the number remarkable, he said "One out of two four-year college students has a federal grant or loan."

He said the 4 million Pell grant holders and students who account for $60 billion in loans are proof the financial aid system has not gone completely sour.

In addition to education, trade, the environment and the private sector, the panelists discussed the merits of the line-item veto.

Thompson, considered a possible presidential candidate in 1996, said he has used the line-item veto 1,300 times. He said if the Democrats are "the party of April 15th, we are the party of July 4th."

Thompson said 43 of 50 governors have line-item veto power and added that since most states have provisions for balanced budgets, the nation should follow with a balanced budget amendment.

Madigan said the 300,000 jobs created for Mexico and the 100,000 jobs for the United States would go to "Taiwan and Korea if that (NAFTA) had not been initiated. He said the 15 percent Mexican tariff has been eliminated, making it easier for the U.S. to sell products.

*******************************************************

UH SHINING THROUGH CONVENTION HOOPLA

By Meagan McGovern

Daily Cougar

The Republican National Convention opened this week to fanfare throughout Houston, and UH helped play a major role in the festivities.

The chairman of the Houston Host Committee, Kenneth Lay, formerly served as chairman of the UH Board of Regents and is currently a member of the board. Because the host committee is responsible for organizing the entire convention, UH is in the position of receiving national attention.

Thursday, the day President Bush makes his acceptance speech in front of a packed Astrodome, he is scheduled to have a "prayer breakfast" at Hofheinz Pavilion. This will be the last public appearance before his speech that evening.

UH is gearing up to receive the attention, said Wendy Adair, a UH Media Relations representative.

The UH Hilton is doing a "wonderful" job of providing quarters for the Alaskan and American Samoan delegations, said Dick Stoffel, a delegate from Alaska.

The North Tower of Moody Towers was taken over by Young Republicans and College Republicans for the duration of the convention -- the youth organizations used the towers as a home base in between their cheering duties at the Dome.

UH students came out in full force to protest or encourage the Republican Party.

The UH chapter of the National Organization for Women was very active in both protecting clinics from anti-abortion activists and in organizing protests at the Dome protest site.

The College Republicans were present at each session of the convention and organized activities and rallies for young, out-of-town Republicans to attend, said Aaron Wilson, a student visiting with the Young Republicans.

Wilson, 18, is a sophomore at USC, and he came to Houston, like other young conventioners, at his own expense.

In another UH-connected event, UH Chancellor Alexander Schilt hosted a reception for the Wyoming delegation Sunday evening at Wortham House, the UH-owned mansion where Schilt resides for the duration of his term as chancellor.

The reception was attended by the delegates, alternates and guests from the state, including U.S. Senator Alan Simpson and his wife. The guests feasted on shrimp, fajitas and enjoyed frozen margaritas. "The hospitality is unbelievable," said Lorraine Quarberg, a delegate from Wyoming. "It's the best I've ever seen."

The UH ROTC colorguard marched in the opening ceremonies of the convention. "It went real well," said ROTC Captain Jeff Wood. "Five students participated in what we call the posting of the national colors -- basically, it's putting the flag where it's supposed to be," he said.

The same ROTC cadets, led by cadet Roy Lira, a UH senior, will also participate in a parade for the president on Thursday, Wood said.

As the UH chapter of NOW protests outside the Dome, the abortion issue is shaping up inside to be the most important issue of the campaign. Throughout the convention site, Republicans can be heard publicly expressing their views. Buttons that say "Republicans for Choice," "It's a baby, not a choice" and "Barbara's right!" can be seen adorning everyone's lapels.

The issue, however much it is being discussed, has been decided by the platform committee. The official Republican platform stands as it did four years ago: The unborn baby has a fundamental right to life.

Many Republicans, however, feel this view doesn't reflect the opinion of most Americans.

Vermont is a state typical of the way the issue has been discussed --divisively, loudly and politically.

Vermont's delegates were split just about evenly on the abortion issue.

John Carroll, who served on Vermont's platform committee, felt the issue should have been addressed at the convention. If a majority of delegates from at least six states had signed a petition, they would have been allowed 20 minutes to speak. A majority from only four states signed.

Carroll does not believe this reflects the majority view.

"Vermont almost made it," he said about the petition. "We have a majority of pro-choice delegates, but they were afraid signing the petition would hurt the president. I was very disappointed. The Republicans should at least be silent on the issue and, preferably, should be a big tent and understand that different people have different views."

Evelyn Smith, a delegate from Vermont, agreed. "I think they should just take out the issue altogether," she said. "Barbara Bush is right. It is a personal choice."

Nancy Sheltra, however, was thrilled. As a state representative from Vermont, she fought to get bills introduced for both informed consent and parental notification. She said she feels morally, abortion is wrong, and the procedure should be illegal. For her, the platform is right on target.

TECHNOLOGY COLLEGE DUMPS THREE ADMINISTRATORS

By Deborah Hensel

Daily Cougar

Four members of the College of Technology were fired in early August, giving credibility to rumors the college is on the verge of downsizing due to budget cuts.

Director of Industrial Relations GeorgE Sadler said he was dismissed by Dean Bernard McIntyre Aug. 10 when Sadler showed up at a meeting of department chairs and discovered the meeting had been cancelled.

Other dismissals include Rella Carpenter, director of the Academic Services Center; Angie Kelly, office manager in the Center for Applied Technology; and Chuck Dunbaugh, an instructor in the Industrial Technology Department.

Shortly after his appointment in June, McIntyre told The Daily Cougar he did not think cutbacks would be necessary and that he intended to focus on improving the college with existing faculty and staff.

McIntyre's appointment was questioned by some members of the dean-search committee and former Dean Kenneth Brown.

John Vurpillat, past president of the College of Technology Student Council and a member of the committee, wrote to Vice President Glenn Aumann on June 10, protesting the appointment of the only candidate of three (McIntyre, Brown and Curtis Johnson) whose application was forwarded with reservations.

According to Vurpillat, reservations voiced by committee members included McIntyre's lack of recent publications, alleged favoritism toward the Electrical-Electronics Technology department, and what Vurpillat described as "dirty tactics."

"He'd tell you one thing to your face and then turn around and do the

exact opposite," Vurpillat said.

In 1989, Associate Dean McIntyre acted as interim dean while Brown was recovering from a heart attack.

"During that time, the ELET department got whatever they wanted and the others be damned," Vurpillat said.

"I had to get back to the college much sooner than I should have because of the things that were going on," Brown said of that period. "He was taking after faculty with a vengeance."

Until he was enlisted to serve on the search committee, Vurpillat did not know McIntyre. In spite of what he had heard, Vurpillat said he wanted to be fair and voted to forward McIntyre's application.

The vote was 5 to 4 in McIntyre's

favor.

"The endorsement," Vurpillat said, "was not wholehearted at all."

When interviews began in the spring, Vurpillat said he questioned the candidates about cutting the budget.

All three candidates, said Vurpillat, assured the committee they would not make cuts in the Academic Services Center.

There was to be a final review by the search committee, but Vurpillat said that never happened. The next thing he heard, he said, was that McIntyre had been appointed despite the recommendations of the committee.

Robert Garza, who served on the search committee as a UH alumnus, said the whole selection process was a waste of time.

"I thought the administration was finally paying attention to the alumni, allowing us some input in the selection of the dean. It was all just window-dressing," he said.

Brown said he met with Aumann on May 27 and was told to vacate his office by June 1 so that McIntyre could take over, even though Brown's contract was not due to expire until Aug. 31.

"I had been at the campus 22 years and had been treated quite well up until this point. I find this extremely puzzling," Brown said.

"There has to be an agenda," he said. "I think you move a dean in during the summer so you can get a lot of dirty work done. The things that are happening now are right on target."

GOP'S TURN: REAGAN RALLIES PARTY, BUCHANAN SPEWS VENOM

By Ericka Schiche

Daily Cougar

The Democrats took a royal beating Monday night at the Republican National Convention and are expected to be the subject of even harsher criticism and jokes as the event continues.

In a night filled with references to the Democratic Convention held at New York's Madison Square Garden, former President Ronald Reagan said Democrats "put on quite a production in New York a few weeks ago -- you might even call it slick." The major theme of the evening session, which is that Democrats are masquerading as moderates, became the focal point of several addresses.

Reagan also took shots at Democratic presidential candidate Bill Clinton when he made a reference to the question of whether Clinton took drugs as a college student. He said instead of breathing the smoke billowing out from the Democrats, he would follow the example of their nominee -- "Don't inhale."

Also, in a statement reminiscent of 1988 Democratic vice presidential candidate Lloyd Bentsen's remark to Dan Quayle, Reagan jokingly said, "Governor, you're no Thomas Jefferson."

Texas Treasurer Kay Bailey Hutchison, who is considered a possible heir-apparent to the Texas governorship, fired missiles in Gov. Ann Richards' direction. Hutchison, temporary chair of the convention, said, "She can't help it. She was born with silver roots in her hair."

Describing George Bush as a "man of sterling character, nerves of steel and a heart of gold," she said, "While Bill Clinton talks about equal rights for women, George Bush hires us."

The need for stability in the global political arena is one message Republicans wish to convey during their convention. With another showdown in Iraq possibly in the offing, the strife-torn situation in Bosnia-Herzegovina and constant questions of delivering emergency aid to such nations as Somilia, former presidential candidate Pat Buchanan gave citizens a warning.

The international affairs experience of Clinton is confined to "having had breakfast once at the International House of Pancakes," said Buchanan, leaving the audience roaring in laughter.

He also criticized Democratic vice presidential candidate Al Gore, saying the central organizing principle of the United States is freedom, not the environment. Buchanan labeled environmental activists as "extremists who put birds, rats and insects ahead of families, workers and jobs."

"Like many of you last month, I watched that giant masquerade ball at Madison Square Garden -- where 20,000 radicals and liberals came dressed up as moderates and centrists -- in the greatest single exhibition of cross-dressing in American political history," Buchanan said.

In response to his speech, Comedy Central reporter Merrill Markoe (a former head writer for "Late Night With David Letterman") said, "I thought Buchanan was terrifying." Author of "What Dogs Taught Me," a book which includes a parody of Millie Bush, Markoe said, "The hatred in Buchanan was really scary."

Markoe said she was "stunned by the mass cheerleading" and the chants of "Thank you, Ron. Thank you, Ron."

"I want to know who wrote his jokes," said Markoe of Reagan. "I thought the joke about Thomas Jefferson was actually a very nicely constructed joke, although I disagreed with the content of it."

During a series of speeches, other Republican leaders such as Sen. Trent Lott (R-Miss.) blamed the Democratic Congress for many of the shortcomings during Bush's administration. "George Bush has never had a Republican Senate or House. He needs that to get the job done," Lott said.

He added that Bush's proposals on crime, health care, education, national energy and economic growth could have benefitted the nation.

BIG, HEAVY BALL RELIEVES STRESS

By Margaret Musoke Mulumba

Special to The Cougar

Take a break from school-related stress and get bowling tips from experts at the cheapest activity center in town.

Bowling for $1.10 per game at the University Center Games Room beats the prices offered by most commercial establishments, who lower their prices only during "off-times;" that is, before 6 p.m. on weekdays.

"Friday and Saturday nights are the most popular bowling times; I think it's safe to say that we are the cheapest place in town," said William Schwehr, leisure services manager. "Commercial establishments like Slick Willie's charge $7 per hour to play pool; over here, it is $2.25."

Schwehr and his assistant, Jean Cope, provide helpful tips to those who want to improve their bowling. The "Bowl with Bill" program is held at 12 p.m. on Wednesdays. For $3 per session, Schwehr will give you some pointers.

Schwehr also organizes activities such as billiard groups, table tennis tournaments and bowling leagues. He said these pursuits help keep rates low by increasing revenue.

NEW LOTS TO EASE PARKING TROUBLES

By Catherine E. Cooper

Special to The Cougar

If you're driving to school this fall, take advantage of the 600 additional parking spaces.

Construction on the new "economy lot," located at the corner of Elgin and Cullen boulevards near the Fine Arts building, has begun and should be finished this fall.

The new lot will alleviate congestion, resulting in fewer citations, said Gerald Hagan, director of Parking and Transportation. Students will pay $10 a year to park there, he said.

"We want to get information out to the students before there is a problem. To make parking a positive experience," Hagan said.

A survey of 6,000 students who bought UH parking decals last spring asked them how they would solve the parking problem.

More than 50 percent of those surveyed preferred parking garages on campus over far-away lots, Hagan said.

"We don't have spaces to meet the demand for convenience," he said. "The land left gets further away from campus. The only way to go is up."

UH provides free 15-minute shuttle service to and from economy lots, free parking for handicapped students and free temporary parking for injured or pregnant students.

Finding solutions to parking problems on campus is related to the city's transportation problems, Hagan said. The department works with METRO to improve bus service to campus and to establish other transportation needs of students, such as carpooling.

ABORTION PROTESTS GET VIOLENT

By Amey Mazurek

Daily Cougar

Battles between pro-life and pro-choice advocates have heated up in the last few days, and the confrontations have gone beyond mere name-calling and slogan-chanting.

The director of the West Loop Clinic found she was not safe inside her own car Monday morning. During a run-in between both sides of the abortion battle, about 50 anti-abortion protestors, calling themselves the Lambs of Christ, picked the director's Chrysler New Yorker off the ground and shook it as she attempted to drive into the parking lot.

They then placed occupied baby carriages and a woman in a wheelchair behind her so she could not back out. She gunned her engine while keeping her foot on the brake until the protestors cleared a path.

"The clinic defense unlocked their arms to let me in," said the director, who wished to remain anonymous. "That's when the Lambs of Christ broke through and picked up my car."

When she parked down the block from the clinic, Clinic Defense escorts ringed her and kept the protestors at bay until she was in the building.

"All I wanted to do was come into work today," she said, adding that she's had anti-abortion protestors threaten her in the past, even saying, "We're going to get you, bitch," as she entered the clinic.

Julie, a clinic defender, was knocked down when the line was rushed. "It all happened so fast," she said. "Probably 30 or 40 people rushed the lines. They were being really rough. I kept trying to pick people up off the ground so they wouldn't get trampled."

Some of the clinic defenders suffered minor bruises. "Someone stepped on my hand," Julie said. "It's turning some interesting blue and purple colors."

Another clinic defender, Ramona, compared the rush to a wave. "You knew you were going under," she said, "and there was nothing you could do about it."

Her prescription glasses were trampled on, and she nearly lost a lens, except that someone found it on the ground and returned it. "My glasses went one way, and my cap went the other," she said.

Despite the rough activity, both defenders said they would come back tomorrow morning.

The Lambs of Christ have tried to close down clinics that perform abortions in Baton Rouge, La., and Buffalo, N.Y.

THIS NOSY REPORTER GETS A SUBMUCOUSAL RESECTION

By Rhonda Smith

Daily Cougar

The big news for big noses is there's help if you have the right insurance.

Almost all insurance companies will cover a portion of the cost for surgical procedures to correct breathing problems within the nasal area, which are often caused by a deviated septum.

It is quite common for people to acquire deviated septums in a car wreck, childhood accident or any trauma to the nasal area.

Such was the case when I found out my big nose was just a bad nose. After a few months of juggling the idea of cosmetic surgery in my mind, I decided to inquire (non-seriously) about the procedure.

To my surprise, I discovered I had a deviated septum and needed nasal reconstruction, which in medical terms is called rhinoplasty. My insurance company was able to cover this type of correction.

Could it have been that childhood fall at age 4 that knocked my entire row of front teeth back into my gums leaving them no longer visible that caused my deviated septum? Maybe it was my wisdom tooth that grew into my nasal cavity, making it hard for me to breathe.

In any case, there was definitely room for improvement in use and in looks. I scheduled the surgery conveniently in between summer session IV and the start of the fall semester to allow a full two weeks to recover.

Reactions from friends varied at the mention of me having plastic surgery. Many asked why, when and how. Some friends were concerned that I was just another person obsessed with physical beauty.

My mother and best friend were very much for the surgery, saying they saw room for improvement. On the other hand, my boyfriend of four years said he loved my nose and didn't want me to alter it.

I explained that the surgery was not considered cosmetic, and that I had legitimate medical reasons; however, the procedure is also going to enhance my looks as well.

I considered the many opinions of my friends and decided, while relatively happy with my present nose, I was going to have the surgery for three reasons. First, I may breathe better; second, I would look better, and third, the price was right.

As the big day approached, nervousness began to settle in during the last-week stretch. The reality of what I was doing began to face me.

I was excited, but at the same time, a bit worried about having to sit still for a while to recover. I wasn't concerned about my doctor's ability. I have full faith in Dr. Gerald Johnson, a staff doctor for TOPS (Texas Outpatient Surgery), who has been practicing for over 10 years and is highly rated in the cosmetic surgery field.

In my case, I had to have a number of things done to the nasal area. I underwent a submucousal resection, septoplasty, cauterization of the turbinates and a nasal-tip revision.

Explaining these medical techniques correctly is a bit difficult. A big part of it is taking away nasal tissue to allow room for breathing. The result is a better-functioning nose. I can testify that the results are wonderful, and my nose does function better.

I wouldn't describe the whole ordeal as very painful. To me, it was just minor inconveniences that annoyed me the most. Due to the many procedures I underwent, a good two weeks off of work and school was necessary.

After the surgery, I was unable to breathe through my nose for a few days. There was some swelling around my eyes as well as my nose, which lasted longer than I had wished it would.

On average, it takes about 12 months for the swelling to completely go down. Depending on the individual, it may take more or less time.

I suppose there would have been pain, but I regularly took my prescribed pain medication.

It is not uncommon for the area around the eyes to be bruised slightly because of blood build-up. This was not a big problem for me.

My type of surgery required tubes to be placed in both nostrils for a few days. I found that hardly anyone noticed the small stitches at the base of my nose or the tubes.

The surgery was well worth the minor inconveniences and time.

It can be done under local or general anesthesia and can be performed in the doctor's office, surgi-center or hospital, depending on the doctor's recommendations.

I feel that anyone who is not satisfied with the way his or her nose looks or works should see a nasal specialist. Plenty can be done to help those people who suffer from bad allergies. A physician will examine your nose to see how well it functions and what can be done to make it look better.

If you don't have insurance, and you want to undergo the same type of procedures I had, it will cost around $5,000.

HYPOTHETICAL CANDIDATES ARGUE ECOLOGICAL ISSUES

By Karen Snelling

Daily Cougar

The environment could help the Republicans survive.

On Aug. 16 at the live, national radio broadcast of Presidential Choices at the South Texas College of Law, political advisors suggested that the Republican party focus on their past environmental achievements for a successful campaign strategy.

William Drummond, professor of journalism at the University of California at Berkeley, acted as a hypothetical presidential candidate and asked advisors questions concerning how to battle his Democratic opponent during this broadcast titled "Republicans: Earth and a Presidency in the Balance."

"Can I make the environment an issue for this campaign," he asked advisors.

David McIntosh, executive director of the President's Council on Competitiveness, agreed, saying the president should campaign as the environmental president.

Two-and-a-half percent of the U.S. gross national product is spent on environmental growth, he said, and the current administration has created numerous beneficial environmental laws. As an example, he cited the Clean Air Act in which 75 percent of its legislation is in effect.

"We have to identify with what we've achieved so far," said Representative Sherwood Boehlert, (R-N.Y.).

He suggested reminding citizens about programs created by the present administration -- legislation such as ozone depletion laws and the $151 billion spent in 1991 to repair highways and bridges. This kind of leadership is environmentally sound, he said.

The campaign should also inform people that Democrats in Congress have voted against many environmental laws, Boehlert said.

Ian Weinschel, media strategist, said some Democrats are claiming environmental development is their primary issue. He asked how they could claim this after taking approximately $20 million away from clean-up policies.

Weinschel then introduced a commercial he designed that attacked Bill Clinton's environmental legacy.

The president is a strong environmental president but has not spent enough time stressing what has been accomplished, said Linda DiVall, pollster and strategist. She said the Democrats will try to destroy what little is known about the administration's environmental policies, and she said the campaign should remind people of Bill Clinton's bad environmental record.

Drummond asked advisors how the campaign could magnify the administration's environmental achievements.

A dramatic step to change the world is not needed, said Douglas Wheeler, secretary of the California Resources Agency. "The president should step forward, point to the record and talk about real world issues," he said.

Drummond asked advisors which issue carries more importance in the campaign: the U.S. environment or the economy.

Weinschel discussed the importance of economic issues. It is necessary to keep "working Americans from becoming the endangered species," he said. He added everyone wants a better environment, but Clinton wants to push this over the people. Clinton said a sound environment is a pre-condition to better economic growth.

The campaign should stress that a healthy economy is a critical step in improving the environment, said Fred Smith, president of the Competitive Enterprise Institute.

"When you destroy the engines that run the economy, you destroy the economy," he said, and added that the administration's legislation has decreased current energy prices.

Smith also warned that the administration should not waste resources on questionable environmental policies. "We want every green achievement we can get out of every green dollar we spend," he said, but added that studies show 80 percent of environmental revenue goes to lawyers who settle green disputes.

The environment and economic issues are compatible, and it is important to stress both equally, McIntosh said.

"Presidential Choices" is an eight-part radio broadcast series in which Drummond and Harvard Law School Professor Charles Ogletree represent hypothetical Republican and Democratic candidates, respectively. They have discussed issues such as voter discontent, foreign policy and abortion.

The program is produced by Minnesota Public Radio in association with American Public Radio.

Major support for the broadcast was provided by the Corporation for Public Broadcasting and the John and Mary R. Markle Foundation.

CLOGGING: MORE THAN JUST A DANCE

By Adam King

Daily Cougar

Double toe. Rock step. Dragslide brush up. Words that have become powerful motivators in my life; words that are my second language.

These words serve as the starting point for anyone who want to be a clogger, as I once did in the spring of '85 (nineteen hundred, that is.)

To the masses who do not know what clogging is, I can say with authority that clogging is not a plumbing problem nor does it have anything to do with wooden shoes.

Rather, clogging is a dance form similar to tap (although clogging came first), and a state of mind only fellow cloggers can comprehend.

Clogging got its start in the Appalachian Mountains in the 1800's as a way for the mountain folk to gather together, swap stories and spend some time away from the hardships of life.

Big-circle dances were performed regularly at these rural socials, and what became known as mountain figures were instituted into them. In layman's terms, mountain figures consist of two or more couples interacting to create a variety of movements.

While the traditional figures can still be found today, clogging in the present barely resembles its counterpart of the past.

I find it very difficult to describe to someone who has never seen clogging before what clogging is.

"Clogging is similar to tap, but you use both the heel and ball of your foot, and it's more fast paced," I hear myself say over and over to interested inquirers.

"My only equipment is a pair of white, lace-up leather shoes with a two-piece metal tap nailed on at each end." The blank stares I receive tell me my verbal imagery is failing to relay the message clearly.

Usually, I end up stressing to them the importance of seeing clogging on a firsthand basis.

Clogging for me, though, has been more than just dancing. It has been my family, friends and a way of life for the past seven and a half years.

As an instructor, choreographer, judge and dancer, I have had the opportunity to travel all over the country attending workshops, seminars and competitions.

I rate the people I have met through clogging as the number one reason I continue to dance today.

The simple truth: Clogging is not a hobby. It can be, but I would recommend against getting yourself hooked. You might turn into the slightly crazed, definitely off-the-wall member of society most cloggers tend to emulate.

This brings me to the reason why only cloggers can understand the reasoning behind why other cloggers clog and non-cloggers don't clog unless they become cloggers themselves. (A clogger would understand this.)

Let me save the courageous few who have managed to read thus far from fleeing this literary terror by emphasizing that clogging is a positive influence on the thousands of dancers presently participating.

Clogging has given me the strong foundation necessary to build a successful life. I hope it will be a mainstay for the remainder of my life.

BUSH SEEKS DIVINE GUIDANCE AT UH

By Adam King

Daily Cougar

President George Bush will be the featured speaker tomorrow at Hofheinz Pavilion for a prayer breakfast sponsored by the Houston Host Committee.

For students taking finals, this will mean added headaches because many of the parking lots on campus will be designated only for those attending the breakfast.

Lots 15A-F, 16B, and 16C will be closed beginning at 11 p.m. today and will remain closed until 10:30 am tomorrow.

Vice President Dan Quayle will also attend the breakfast, as will former gymnast Mary Lou Retton and Judge John Lindsay, both of whom will be speaking on theimportance of religion in Houston.

The doors will open at 6:30 a.m. and the breakfast will begin a 8 a.m.

Anyone whishing to attend the breadfast may purchas e tickets through the International Meeting Managers office for $10 each by calling 965-0566.

REAGAN'S AURA STILL SHINES

By Meagan McGovern

Daily Cougar

The Republican Convention has come to town, and along with Ronald Reagan, the parties, the traffic and the politicians have come the reporters -- all 15,000 of them.

As a member of the press, it's hard to have an unbiased opinion of the hoopla surrounding the event. 15,000 people to write about maybe 22 hours of speeches? Even for Texas, it seems a little excessive.

But one speech tonight stood out. While I was watching Reagan's speech, I was awed. Normally a staunch liberal, I was carried away by the charm of this 81-year-old man. "Don't inhale," he said, and I listened, rapt. "Governor, you're no Thomas Jefferson," he said, and I was almost swayed.

But this is the man who cut funding to universities speaking about education. The man who drove the deficit into the outer limits, calling for an amendment to balance the budget. The man who couldn't remember anything at all, citing crystal-clear examples of how well his presidency (reign?) had fared.

As a student journalist, I take classes that teach how to be objective, how to listen with a mind free of bias. And still, Reagan got through.

Hobnobbing with the nation's elite is common at the convention -- I was introduced to the U.S. ambassador to Guatemala by Senator Alan Simpson.

Oh yeah, I bumped into Tom Brokaw in the hallway.

I asked a man his opinion, and later found out he's the governor of Maine.

But all this hadn't fazed me. I grew up in Hollywood; my father's an actor. Celebrities are just people. I've met lots of them, and that's all they are.

But Reagan is different. He encompasses an entire era. I was 11 when he was elected, and 19 when he left office. All of the years that formed my conception of politics were under Reagan. Reagan spoke of how, in his lifetime, he had seen both the beginning and the end of communism. All I've seen is the end of the Reagan era.

Watching him speak, it was hard to believe he ran this country. You don't realize how big the country is, how many people there are, until you sit in the Astrodome with thousands upon thousands of people and realize that these are the best of the best of one-half of the country, out of those who choose to get involved. Each person there represents a selection process which eliminated hundreds of others who wanted to be there. Senators, state representatives, teachers, plumbers, doctors and tons of lawyers make up the delegates.

Thousands were involved in the selection, transportation, communication and sundry other duties involved in coming to the convention. These people are a minority -- the ones who get involved. The same thing at the Democratic convention -- thousands were there, and more were left at home.

And yet Reagan ruled all of these people -- and the ones who weren't involved. Poor children in Hawaii, rich men in American Samoa. (Did you know American Samoa is ruled by the U.S.? -- another convention tidbit.) Housewives in Idaho were all subject to this man we (or our parents) elected in 1980. The situation we're in now belongs to him, as did the prosperous '80s. Bush has just finished the Reagan legacy.

Bush probably won't win in November, according to the polls. The last time we had a same-party vice president win the office and be re-elected was 1820. People want a change, and why should they expect one from someone who's been in office four years?

But every now and then, it's good to look back and remember who our last president was. After all, as the philosopher George Santayana said, "Those who cannot remember the past are doomed to repeat it."

NEEDLES, PAIN, SCABS DON'T DETER TATTOO LOVERS

By Jenny Silverman

Daily Cougar

Tattooing is a lot like eating peanuts or having sex: once your start, you just don't want to stop. Or, as Michelle Howard, a UH student and tattoo owner, is fond of saying, "It's a mile to your first, and a minute to your second."

Scorpion Studios at 1505 Westheimer is a well established tattoo parlor in Houston. Richard Stell, the owner and operator of the studio, does many of the tattoos himself. He claims to have failed at art in school, but one has trouble believing this after viewing his complicated renderings.

Stell himself has an uncountable number of tattoos and claims he eventually will have all of his tattoos connected to form one, huge body mural.

He said each customer wants a tattoo in a different spot, and there is no body part more popular than another. But he said women, especially topless dancers, find the back of the neck a popular choice. Many of Houston's upscale topless bars will not hire a dancer if she has a tattoo. A long-haired dancer has the option of keeping her tattoo a secret or showing it off for all the world to see.

Also working as a tattoo artist is Matt Wojciechowski, a 24-year-old art major at UH. He stated tattooing is "just as valid an art form as painting."

A steady hand is a definite must for the job, as the process of applying the tattoo is quite delicate. Modern tattooing is applied to the skin by means of an electric tattooing machine.

Before beginning the process, the skin is shaved and cleaned thoroughly with antiseptic. During the procedure, all traces of blood are swabbed with tissue; afterwards the wound is covered with a vitamin E ointment and covered with tissue. A hard scab will form after the procedure, and in seven to ten days the scab will peel off and reveal a permanent tattoo.

The selection of a tattoo is a difficult task, as the possibilities are as varied as the customers. Stell stated "The best designs you find are right between your ears." Most customers have some idea of what they want.

Stell noted some designs are inspired by literature. He emblazoned a tattoo of a black panther taken from Rudyard Kipling's Jungle Book upon customer Bill Wagner of Kansas. This was Wagner's first tattoo and Stell approvingly told him that it was good to start out with a large, substantial piece.

Allison Gibson, a 21-year-old singer with the group Manhole, chose a bold geometric design, representing a form of tribalism. She said it also symbolizes, "Internal freedom and unlimited boundaries."

The price for this "internal freedom" can range from $30 for a small flower to $175 for a larger picture, and is determined by its complexity. The more ornate the tattoo, the more expensive the price.

The price varies for every artist. For John Miller, or Tiger John, of Dragon Mike and Tiger John's at 1544 Westheimer, pricing is done according to the amount of time it takes to complete the tattoo. As John explained, keeping a tattoo parlor open can be an expensive undertaking. The autoclave, a sterilizing device, is just one expense.

The question that comes to everyone's mind when one mentions tattoo is, are the needles sterilized? The answer is a definite yes. But as Tiger John explained, "Texas does not have a health code concerning tattoos. I choose to follow the California Health Code and autoclave my equipment."

The autoclave cooks the needles under 275 degree temperatures to insure proper sterilization. But if John designs a particularly large tattoo, he throws the needle away after one use, as he finds it becomes too dull to work with. Getting a tattoo applied with a dull needle would not aid in cutting down pain.

Speaking of pain, the procedure is not devoid of it. As with anything involving a needle, it is bound to involve a little discomfort. Each individual has his own pain threshold and level of tolerance. Wagner claimed to feel very little pain during the application of his panther, but his clenched jaw and beads of perspiration gave him away.

Of course, the pain is part of the tattoo experience. It is part of the entire ritual. To be able to endure pain proves that a certain level of machismo goes into the ordeal. As Tiger John said, "We do get some of the obvious outlaws -- some are just out of the joint." These appear to be the customers most interested in proving their masculinity with a tattoo.

Some of these ex-cons were tattoo artists in prison. They come to John to touch up their tattoos or to get jobs.

The process of getting a tattoo in the penitentiary is a far cry from a tattoo parlor's method. Five items are necessary to apply a tattoo in prison: a staple surreptitiously taken from a magazine, a Styrofoam cup, some string, a toothbrush and toothpaste.

The staple is sharpened by being ground against concrete, then tied to the toothbrush with the string. This is the needle. Ink is formed by melting a Styrofoam cup and mixing it with toothpaste. The tattoo is then applied by puncturing the skin and painting an image.

The vast majority of prison tattoos are comprised of girlfriend's and mother's names.

As one can imagine, this is the least sterile method and requires touch-up. Dragon John said the risk of contracting AIDS and hepatitis from the application of a prison tattoo is great if the make-shift needle is shared.

After a person finally gets a tattoo, what if he or she wants to remove it?

The process of dermabrasion, or skin grinding, is one option. This is a painful procedure and must be performed by a dermatologist or plastic surgeon using a special abrasive device.

A laser can also be used. It's more effective and leaves little scarring, but it costs about $400 more than dermabrasion. Both of these procedures usually require a minimum expenditure of $300.

Even though there seems to be a proliferation of tattoos today, it is something that should be taken seriously. The decision should be made while sober, and both Tiger John and Stell are vehement in their refusal to apply a tattoo on anyone under the age of 18.

Tattoos do seem to be a great vehicle for self expression, but one must decide if he or she wants to be marked for life.

TATTOOS ENJOY COLORFUL HISTORY

By Jenny Silverman

Daily Cougar

The art of tattooing the human skin is a practice of ancient origin. The earliest recorded findings of tattoos were found on Egyptian mummies, which date back to 2,000 B.C.

In South-East China, tattooing existed in 1,100 B.C. To the ancient natives of the West Indies and Central America, tattooing was almost a universal practice. In Europe, tattooing was practiced by the ancient Britons, Thraciens, Gauls and Germans.

Ancient Greek writers Cicero and Herodian mentioned tattooing, and Herodotus told of a war story in which secret information was conveyed through enemy lines in the form of tattoos on a messenger's shaven head. The hair was allowed to grow, and the receiving king had to do no more than to shave it off to read the communication.

Roman slaves were often tattooed. It is known that Caligula enjoyed having blameless citizens tattooed for his amusement.

The word "tattoo" is derived from the Tahitian "tatau," -- to mark. With the Voyages of Discovery, Europeans rediscovered this personal form of adornment and carried it back to their respective countries. In a short time European men began to follow the trend of the islanders.

Joseph Cabri, a Frenchman, appears to have been the first European to be completely tattooed. In 1890, the first tattooed lady, La Belle Irene, achieved great renown and lived well on the story of her tattoos. She claimed she had been tattooed in the wild west of Texas to escape the attention of the "hostile Red Indians."

CLINIC SIGHT FOR SORE EYES

By Lynn Beene

Special to The Cougar

UH students, on limited budgets, need not look beyond their own campus for affordable eye examinations.

The UH College of Optometry and eye clinic, a leader in optometric education and patient services, offers one of the most thorough and affordable eye examinations in Houston. The college has 400 students who, under expert supervision, serve a wide variety of patients.

One of the objectives of the college and clinic is to attract more UH students as patients. Students receive 50 percent discounts off the regular price of $36 for a comprehensive eye examination. They also receive an additional 10 percent off eyewear.

The college serves approximately 40,000 patients a year. A wide range of ages makes up this patient total, exposing students to a variety of vision problems.

UH students make up a surprisingly small percentage of this total. The school hired Steve Gubitz, director of marketing and development, to try to solve the problem of underexposure in its own community.

"The only problem with the clinic is that not enough people know us," Gubitz said. "The ones who do know us, like us."

The clinic give a longer and more thorough eye examination than most optometrists. "This may take a little longer, but your eyes are worth it," Gubitz added.

Students at the college must pass a clinical competency exam and courses in clinical procedure before they see their first patient. Students handle approximately 1,000 patients before they graduate.

"UH's reputation of having one of the best colleges of optometry in the nation influenced my decision to come here," said Dave Miller, a first- year optometry student from Kansas. "At most schools, they don't start learning clinical procedure until their second year. That's when we start seeing patients," Miller added.

Phil Smith said driving all the way from Sugarland for an eye exam was worth it. "A friend, who is a student at UH, told me about the clinic, and I decided to give it a try. I'm glad I did."

GRIPE, GRIPE, GRIPE: UH STUDENTS AIR CONCERNS

Karen Snelling

Daily Cougar

In a very informal and unscientific survey by The Cougar, students were asked to name aspects of UH they would improve for the upcoming semester.

Bureaucracy, registration and parking were mentioned most frequently as areas needing help.

"The administration bureaucracy has got to be improved," said Tasha Riley, sophomore pre-med major.

Riley recently transferred from the University of Swaney in Tennessee and has had problems getting her transfer evaluation processed.

Office workers are rude, said Grace Ochoa, sophomore biology major. Because students are paying so much money for fees, they shouldn't have to put up with unfriendly service, she said.

Anne Bollich, senior accounting major, mentioned the poor counselling from the business school's Office of Student Services. She said the counsellors are unfriendly and not helpful, and they don't seem to care about the students.

Candice Meade, senior drama major, said people who work for the administration are uninformed and are not helpful.

"It's ridiculous because instead of answering your questions, they send you to another office to stand in line," she said.

"I think there is a lack of guidance" because the administration is too slow, said Teri Cole, post-baccalaureate major in special education.

She applied for graduate school at UH in May and has not received any word of acceptance yet. She also applied to Houston Baptist University at the same time and received an acceptance letter 10 days later.

Pam Vassan, graduate student in science education, said she was concerned about the registration process.

Students register for classes without knowing if they got into all of them, and then students can be dropped after they have already paid for the courses, she said.

With the confusion of all the extra fees, reimbursement is not always adequate, she said.

Katherine Bui, a post-baccalaureate in English, wants a telephone registration system. "I hate waiting in lines and having to come on days I don't have class (to register)" she said.

"They are dragging their feet in getting telephone registration," Rene Ochoa, senior biology major, said.

He said the money is there, but UH needs to get the system started. It is embarrassing not to have registration by phone because colleges smaller than UH have it, he said.

"Since we pay big bucks, we should be able to find a decent parking space," said Juanita Saez, senior elementary education major.

UH has designated more faculty and staff parking spots than needed, Yahia Jaradat, senior electrical engineering major, said. He said he has seen many reserved spaces up close not being used.

Tien Trinh, MBA accounting student, suggested that UH charge only one overall low fee for parking because once most students find a vacant spot, they still have to walk a long distance to class.

Lori Mack, senior political science major, said the only complaint she really has about UH is the parking. She admitted, however, that parking is a problem at most college campuses.

Students continued their list of improvements for UH.

Jeanne Abernathy, junior marketing major, said she'd like to see an increase in the visibility of campus security. There should be more officers seen on campus instead of in the parking lots towing cars, she said. Protecting lives should be a higher priority than protecting property, she said.

Students described the general repair needed all over campus.

More money should be distributed to the repair of the academic buildings, Iris Campbell, senior English major said. She said she remembered when one of her professors held class outside because the ceiling of their classroom was leaking.

"The library needs to be bulldozed over and millions need to be put into fixing it," said Joseph Bielamowicz, senior finance major.

The sidewalks need work because students hardly can walk down any path without having to go through a deep puddle, Bui said.

More money should be spent repairing copy machines because its hard to find one that works, said Wendy Johnson, senior marketing major.

Other items on the students' list included offering more classes of a specific course, improving the cafeteria quality and extending the service hours, mailing out student information sooner and having more than one graduation ceremony per year.

COUGAR FOOTBALL TEAM READY TO START SEASON

By Keith Rollins

Daily Cougar

It's time to paint those faces red and white, get out the Cougar t-shirts and cruise over to the Dome in time for the start of the 1992 football team season.

The team let by flamboyant head coach John Jenkens, is due for a comeback after enduring last years embarrassing, yet humbling 4-7 record.

It will be tough without the support of David Klinger and the other 18 lettermen lost, 11 being starters, but their is a positive, go-get'em type of attitude instilled in camp this pre-season.

But still, questions linger.

Who will take the place of Klingler, who is still a hold-out for the Cincinnati Bengals?

Junior Donald Douglas looks to be the top gun in the arms race because of his experience. It's worth remembering he was the starting quarterback at Florida his freshman year, leading thme to the Gator Bowl in 1990 before transferring to UH.

However, David's little brother, Jimmy Klingler will try to throw his arm into the starting spot this spring also.

Next in line comes San Francisco Community College Transfer Kyle Allen and highly-touted freshman recruit Chute Clements. Sophomore Chandler Evans rounds out the position depth chart, but he has been slowed due to injury and looks out of the early competition.

Another sow's ear Jenkins and Defensive Coordinator Melvin Robertson must fix after last season is a way to make the defense more consistent.

Last year, "we looked extremely impressive at times in our victories over Texas and Louisiana Tech, where we were completely dominating. And yet, we were casual and lax on other occasions," Jenkins commented in the Cougar's 1992 Media Guide.

After all, the Cougar's offense line is suspect to its own inconsistencies. However, the line should perform better, considering that all the 1991 starters will return for another campaign with increased size and experience.

Lastly, a problem that coaches have not had to worry about because of Roman Anderson's long and successful career at the helm of the kicking an is and open place-kicking job. Walk-ons will be asked to fill that void.

COMEBACK SEASON TAKES THE HARD ROAD

By Keith Rollins

Daily Cougar

For a team that is trying to make a comeback from a 4-7 record, the schedule maker has thrown a wrench into the 1992-93 Cougar football season. Five of their opponents went to bowl games last year.

That wrench is being tightened hard by non-conference powerhouse Michigan, who has lost the flash of Heisman trophy winner Desmond Howard, but is still in every pre-season poll's top 10, and Illinois, who creamed the Coogs last year in Champaign 51-10. At least the Fightin' Illini will have to come to the Foam Dome this year.

Those two games come after the Cougars first game meeting against Tulsa, a team that beat Texas A&M last year and found victory at the Freedom Bowl last year against San Diego St.

The next bowl team up will be Baylor. The Bears whipped up on the Coogs last year 38-21 en route to an 8-4 season and Copper Bowl berth. They lost convincingly to Indiana 24-0, but high expectations are still big in Waco.

After battling a rejuvenated Texas Longhorn team and dangerous Texas Christian, the Texas A&M Aggie alliance will show up at the Cougar's doorstep.

The Aggies finished the season with a 10-2 record last year, losing to Tulsa (for mentioned) and Florida State in the Cotton Bowl 10-2.

After that little war, Texas Tech, who also had a winning record last year and just missed going to a bowl, will set their Red Raider eyes on Cougar Red in Lubbock.

And finally, after that away game, the defense had better be ready for crosstown rivaling, Bayou-bucket wanting, Rice Owls for the Cougars last game of the season.

The schedule appears tough and rightly so, but if the Cougars can came away with some big upsets, in Ann Arbor and Tulsa namely, then a top-20 ranking is a possibility.

Remember, the teams with the toughest schedules that win, usually are crowned national champs. Just look at Miami.

LADIES' POLL RANKS UH NETTERS

By Keith Rollins

Daily Cougar

The UH women's volleyball team's recent top-20 pick in Volleyball Magazine's 1992 pre-season poll" would almost make a person want to shave their head.

But the Cougars, who will battle other top-20 teams in the same poll, such as Hawaii, UCLA and Illinois in its first three games, don't have time to think about an Olympic-like hairdo.

The 1992-93 team looks to be tough behind the savvy coaching of Bill Walton and the fact that five of six starters are returning from last year's 20-12 squad that qualified for the NCAA tournament.

This team has high expectations and Walton said he would consider the season a wash if the team didn't win at least 80% of its games. His winning formula is simple.

"Defense wins, attitude is everything and you've got to believe in yourself that nobody does it better," Walton said.

As for the team's tough schedule, Walton said "everybody's going to have to play hard every night and they're not going to be able to make any mistakes. If they do, they're gonna lose."

The netters' front line will consist of heavy-hitting Karina Faber -- a possible conference MVP -- and Ashley Mulkey and Janelle Harmonson. Behind them, Julie James, Heidi Sticksel and Amie Roberts will set, block and play defense.

Faber ended the season as a league elite, finishing first in the SWC in kills per game (4.1), second in blocks per game (1.3), and fourth in serving percentage (.356). The 6-1 native of San Paulo, Brazil, was a 1991 all-south region selection and the only non-senior to be named to the all-SWC a year ago.

The Cougars' first game will be at 7 p.m., Sept. 3, against Hawaii in Honolulu.

UH CONNECTION BRINGS HOME GOLD; LEWIS SHINES

By Keith Rollins

Daily Cougar

The Olympics are over and the 1992 "UH Connection" to Barcelona has been detached. But before it left the Spanish city, the Cougar contingency won a multitude of medals for their country and school.

Carl Lewis did his thing, as always, leaping for a third gold medal in as many Olympics in the long jump. He clinched his eighth career gold medal, anchoring the 4x100-meter relay team to victory.

Also running in that world record-setting team was UH-ex Leroy Burrell and Mike Marsh, who trains at UH.

Burrell lost his bid for a medal in the 100m, finishing sixth overall, but Marsh sped to the tape first in the 200m final, pushing his gold medal count up to two.

Also in track and field, Bahamas' Frank Rutherford, who attended UH from 1986-87 and still trains under UH Track Head Coach Tom Tellez, won the bronze medal in the triple-jump competition.

Mark Witherspoon pulled up with an Achilles tendon injury in a 100m qualifier to end his chances for a medal, and Michelle Finn lost in her bid in the 200m. Both also train at UH under Tellez.

Clyde Drexler, who attended the school from 1981-83, was UH's representative to the basketball Dream Team. He was joined by the likes of Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson and Larry Bird on the gold-medal podium.

David Diaz and Carl Herrera, playing for their home country of Venezuela, had no such luck. The Venezuelan national anthem was never heard on the basketball court.

Also on the courts, Brazilian Rolando Ferriera, who filled the lanes at Hofheinz from 1986-87, played for his motherland.

In the pool, UH had two connections that ended in defeats. Neither Paola Pennarrieta of Bolivia nor Michelle Smith of Ireland, who both trained under UH Head Swim Coach Phill Hansel, made the finals in their respective events.

Hansel made the trip as a Swim Manager for the U.S. team. Doug Campbell, who assisted Hansel from 1979-82, coached the Great Britain swimming squad.

Serving as personal coach to Lewis, Burrell, Marsh, Witherspoon, Finn and Rutherford, Tellez also joined his athletes in the Olympic spotlight.

HOFHEINZ HOST US VOLLEYBALLERS

By Keith Rollins

Daily Cougar

Watch out for the baldies wearing red, white and blue. The hairless club for men, also known as the men's U.S. Olympic volleyball team, is coming to UH for an exhibition match against Japan.

First serve for America's bronze medalists is set for 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 13, at Hofheinz Pavilion.

The team will be led by two-time Olympic gold medalist, and now tri-medalist, Steve Timmons. His supporting staff will include Doug Partie, Bob Samuelson and other members of the 1992 Olympic squad.

The two teams' last confrontation ended in controversy after the first round of the Barcelona games. After the U.S. had won the match, a Japanese protest was upheld by the governing committee. The Japanese coaches insisted they should have been awarded a penalty point, giving them the match after Samuelson was twice whistled for mouthing off. Japan was then awarded the victory. Revenge is unavoidable.

Tickets for the Houston match go on sale Aug. 3 at all Rainbow Ticketmaster outlets. Reserved seats are available for $8, $12 and $15. To charge by phone, call (713) 629-3700 or (800) 275-1000.

Following Houston, the U.S. team will continue the tour in Dallas, Minneapolis, New York and St. Louis.

PUT AWAY THOSE PENCILS; PHONE REGISTRATION COMING

By Adam King

Daily Cougar

In the ever-changing world we live in, one vestige of society could be counted on to remain intact: the absence of phone registration at UH.

But that will no longer be the case, said Associate Vice President for Academic Management Sharon Richardson, who predicts on-line phone registration will be ready by the priority registration period for the 1994 spring semester.

"(The planning committee) is in the process now of writing out the concrete specifications and getting those out to the vendors to get actual bids on those systems," she said.

The plan, Richardson said, is to install a 96-line phone registration system as a base model with the compatibility to add future applications to the system, including grade reports, admission-status inquiries and financial aid inquiries.

"We're going to start with enrollment, selection of courses and registration," Richardson said. "We'll then look at adding inquiry in those systems we have in place."

What will be the cost to the university?

"$250,000 to $400,000 for that piece of it (base model). That doesn't include the phone lines, and that doesn't include the computer upgrade," she said.

The system will be funded entirely by the university capital fund. Student fees will not be tampered with, she said.

The process of installing a new registration system begins with the planning committee, which draws the specifications the university desires. The committee then forwards the plans to the vendors who submit a bid for what they estimate the project will cost.

After analyzing the bids, the committee takes its results for vendor recommendation to a board in charge of the overall operation. Once the qualified vendors are selected, the names are sent to the State Purchasing and General Services Agency in Austin for processing.

"Fifty-three or 54 percent of funds we have to operate the university require State Purchasing and General Services processes," Richardson said. "They're sending out bids, they're making the awards on those, and we do a lot of documentation in preparation of those requests."

Richardson said the agency would be working closely with their committee to choose a suitable vendor.

Associate Vice President for Information Technology Chuck Shomper said depending on the vendor, the new system will either be PC-based or "something more than that."

Richardson said in deciding which system to implement, three criteria were being examined: the cost of the phone lines, the present computing capacity and the new software and hardware compatibility to the present system.

"As far as computer capacity, with 96 additional users coming in, it's going to take full capacity, but how much capacity will be needed at that point in time really depends on which vendor is selected," Shomper said.

Both Shomper and Richardson said these added necessities mean the new system will be less cost-effective than the present one, leading to higher expenditures in the long run.

But, Richardson said, phone registration will benefit students by "not having (them) make multiple trips to campus.

"You get a response to your transaction, so you're not dropping it in the hopper and waiting a week or two weeks 'til somebody communicates with you or sends something back to you," she said, though she warned that the lack of queues on campus will not necessarily ease all the registration tension.

"As we get the bids back, get a vendor selected, work with all of this, understand how it accesses with our system, we'll make those decisions on, 'Do we put any restrictions on when you can call?' " Richardson said. "We will make those adjustments once the system is purchased.

"Phone registration is one of our priorities. We're working as quickly as we can to bring it to the University of Houston."

BELEAGUERED PARENTS OFFERED THERAPY

By Rhonda Smith

Daily Cougar

Raising a child from infancy to grade school is a time when parents can only hope that they are doing it the right way. Imagine a parent's building frustration when their six-year-old repeatedly and obviously lies, refuses to behave in school or simply clean up when asked.

Parents with children exhibiting these behaviors have sought help at UH's Family Treatment Center, which provides free counseling to two-parent families. Many parents, while worried about present behavior, also are concerned with what the child's teen behavior will be like.

Ernest Jouriles, director of the program, said the specialty program, which is located in the South Office Annex, offers free therapy to families in need.

Treatment is only offered to dual parent families with children between the ages of four and ten that display behavioral problems such as not obeying parents, aggression, stealing or lying.

Families applying for help must be willing to cooperate with the program's needs of time, patience, providing information and post evaluations.

The program begins with a comprehensive assessment of the family, which takes several hours.

"During the course of the assessment we talk with both mom and dad about what is going on with the child," says Jouriles. Input from the child is also gathered along with information on how each parent interacts with the child.

"Part of it ( the assessment) is to just find out whether the treatments we are offering and evaluating are going to be appropriate with this particular family," says Jouriles.

Through information gathered with the assessment, eligible families are assigned a therapist. The therapist gets ideas from the assessment on different ways to work with the parents to improve the child's behavior.

Part of the assessment involves videotaping the parents interacting with the child.

"Sometimes, inadvertently, parents are encouraging misbehavior by the way they are interacting with their children," explains Jouriles. The program helps to teach parents different types of child management skills.

Often parents have minor disagreements about how and for what reasons a child should be punished. According to Jouriles these disagreements can significantly worsen conduct of a child already having problems.

"Children who have conduct problems," Jouriles said, "often pick up on this and play one parent off the other."

The program works with the parents in helping them come to an agreement on how to manage their child. Parents should approach their child as a team, recommends Jouriles.

Often the counseling has to be tailored to meet the individual needs of the family. "What works with one child does not necessarily work with another," says Jouriles.

In any case the program seems to be successful. Prior to the recent grant the program received from the Texas Higher Education Council in Jan., the clinic had been operating for two years on a previous grant.

The results of the program have been very promising, "which I believe is one of the reasons why the second grant was funded," said Jouriles.

"There is plenty of empirical evidence that the treatments we present are very effective, and they tend to have lasting effects," says Nanette Stephens, coordinator and assistant researcher of the program.

The families are asked to come back for follow-up evaluations four months after the treatment is terminated.

"It is very difficult to find effective, quality service, let alone find it free," said Stephens. "I think it is wonderful for the community in the whole," added Stephens. Most places offering this type of help charge an average $95 an hour.

The program has an average of 10 therapists -- all advanced doctoral graduate students in clinical psychology -- who plan to take up family counseling. Stephens, who served as a therapist for the first project, said, "it is sort of a privilege to be involved in this. Its a project I'm proud of."

Jouriles, who has researched marital problems and child misconduct extensively, designed and organized the program. He said variations of the treatment have been used successfully around the country.

Jouriles and his researchers are continually working on perfecting this already-successful program as well as studying its long-range effectiveness.

His work has been published in many psychology journals, and he has won the College of Social Science Merit Awards in 1990 and 1991 and the Association for Advancement of Behavior Therapy's New Researcher Award in 1991. For more information on the program call the the Family Treatment Center at 743-8617.

CELEBRITIES ROCKIN' TO GET YOUR VOTE

Gram Gemoets

Daily Cougar

What would you do if someone like Vanessa Williams, Michelle Shocked, Tears for Fears or Cinderella asked you to vote? Maybe you would listen and vote or maybe you wouldn't. This is exactly what Mercury records is trying to find out with their latest album release: Rock the Vote.

Bill Clinton and George Bush ... blah blah blah ... who really cares? Not America's youth, apparently, because very few of those aged 18-24 vote at all. This seems to have some very influential people in the recording industry ticked off.

In response to poor youth voter turnout, Rock (and rap) the Vote has hit the American market. The album takes its name from its parent organization of the same name.

Rock the Vote is a nonpartisan organization formed in 1990 seeking an end to censorship and to promote freedom of expression through higher voter turnout among teens and young adults.

The group has produced public service announcements, MTV mock videos and ads in major newspapers across the country, but this is the first album put out by the group.

Part of their campaign for the 1990 Congressional elections included celebrity spots by Sting and Phil Collins. The reclusive Michael Jackson allowed the use of parts of his video "Bad" for the campaign. Even Madonna exchanged "Vogue" for "Vote" in one controversial MTV spot showing the Material Girl clad only in an American flag. The near-naked bombshell threatened unregistered voters with a "spanking."

Mercury's executive vice president of marketing Simon DeCarlo headed the project. "I've had this idea for a while but just had to wait for the right time. The presidential election is just what I was waiting for."

DeCarlo expressed concern over what he calls "arm-chair politicians," people who sit back on their couches, watching TV with a bag of Doritos -- the people who express political opinions but never do anything about them, like vote.

"We are bombarded with shock-value news," DeCarlo said. "Record-store owners arrested for selling albums, youths booked for wearing smutty Van Halen T-shirts, museum curators hauled off for displaying homo-erotic art. We gasp, we sputter, we express our open-mouthed shock to anyone who will listen. Yet we refuse to vote and try to change come of this crap."

DeCarlo hopes that such stars as The Soup Dragons (also included on the album) will get their messages across: "Register, vote and end censorship of the arts."

The tracks on the album reflect the message intended for the audience. "There is nothing subliminal here," DeCarlo said. Song titles include "I'm Free," "Mr. Censor Man" and "Exercise Our Right."

Rock the Vote's recent energies have been directed at the failed National Voter Registration Bill. This bill, once known as the Motor Voter Bill, was vetoed by President Bush soon after passing the House and the Senate.

Motor Voter would have allowed people to register to vote while renewing their driver's licenses, as well as apply for services such as social security, unemployment benefits and food stamps.

Supporters of the Bill, such as Mick Jagger (who helped pen two songs on the Rock the Vote album), felt that it would have pushed young voter registration up to nearly 90 percent.

"I guess the bureaucrats thought that it would add expense and paper-work to the federal budget, but personally, I am disgusted that it failed. After all, voting is a right that needs to be taken advantage off," a spokesman for Rock the Vote said.

Even if the Bill had gotten past the White House, it would not have been in place in time for the '92 elections.

How effective can the Rock the Vote album and campaign be? Madonna's parody reportedly led 10,000 members of her Los Angeles fan club to register in a matter of days after the spot's initial run.

A spot featuring Bruce Springsteen has been credited with winning a lawsuit in Florida that will loosen identification requirements for voter registration.

Mercury company officials feel that album sales of Rock the Vote will reflect the success or failure of this particular campaign.

"Sales have been brisk since the recording was released in late July. We have had to restock once already. I'm not sure if it is the message contained on the album or just the fact that it has a lot of popular artists on it," a Sound Warehouse employee said.

Sales can be equated for voter registration success for one reason. Each album contains a voter registration card that can be mailed in. $1 from each sale goes to promoting Rock the Vote's registration drive.

Among the cuts included on the album are the Phranc's "Dress Code," Vanessa Williams' "Freedom Dance" and Jimmy Sommerville's "And You Thought This Could Never Happen to You."

Whether you buy the album, hear a cut on the radio or just feel politically motivated, take Rock the Vote's advice and rock the vote.

GROWING CTF HOLDS KIDS' ATTENTION

Deborah Hensel

Daily Cougar

When the final curtain closed on the 1992 summer season of Children's Theatre Festival, more than 36,000 parents, teachers and children had attended, according to Sidney Berger, festival producer and chairperson of the UH Drama Department.

Berger co-founded the festival with playwright Bren Dubay in 1978 because he saw a need for professional children's theater in Houston and to cultivate future theater-goers.

"If we don't start getting children to the theater at an early age, I don't know where the next generation of audiences for the arts is going to come from," Berger said. "We have got to begin giving them the habit and the tradition so that going to the theater becomes a natural part of their lives."

Due to popular demand by responsive audiences, the number of CTF performances has doubled in the last five years, and Berger estimates that 1,200 people attended plays daily this summer.

According to Berger, children's theater in the United States is still in its infancy, a symptom of a larger cultural problem in this country.

"Why is it that the United States of America does not have a theater-going population at large? Unlike in Europe, where they very efficiently cultivate a child's mind and spirit at a very early age, the United States never really has," he said. "We're talking about a country of 200 million people where children's theater is virtually non-existent on a professional level."

"There are a lot of theaters that will pin a children's show to the end of a season. I think that kind of tokenism has been very rampant in this country for many years," Berger said.

"If you went to the Soviet Union -- when there was a Soviet Union -- where all the artists, writers, actors and directors were state-trained, they were obligated upon graduation to give several years to the theater of the state's choice. Invariably, the best directors, designers and actors went to the children's theater because they realized that if they were going to propagate their philosophy, they'd have to do it with the best," he said.

"But, children's theater in Eastern Europe is one of the most highly-touted and skillful endeavors that the theater world has ever seen. Conversely, the United States was first populated by people who hated theater and thought theater was dangerous -- thought theater was the devil's workshop," Berger said. "It took us until the 19th century to get Native American plays of note."

To provide quality plays for CTF, Berger said one of his goals is to continue to commission original works.

"The reason for this is, when we started the Children's Festival, I went through the literature and it was just embarrassingly bad," Berger said. "There were a lot of plays written by people who wanted to be children all over again, and so they were written from the perspective of wish-fulfillment."

"There was also very little in the way of traditional fairy tales in the way they were originally written," he added.

For the 1992 season opener, Berger adapted and wrote the lyrics for a musical version of "Little Red Riding Hood" himself.

Berger said CTF tries to do a musical every year because children really respond well to them.

In keeping with his belief that the best American writers need to be writing for children, Berger said he commissioned works by writers like the poet Ntozake Shange and Charles Strouse, who wrote <I>Annie, Bye Bye Birdie<P> and <I>Applause.<P>

Berger said three-time Tony winner, Strouse, came to Houston for <I>Lyle, the Crocodile<P> (which premiered here and went on to Japan) and worked "literally for peanuts and as hard as he would have worked on any Broadway musical."

Strouse was not prepared for the reactions of a younger audience, such as the screaming and running up and down the aisles, Berger said.

"If you're really involved in the action or crisis, they are very attentive to that," he said. "If you have long stretches of dialogue, children get very antsy."

By taking risks, Berger said two of this season's plays proved that theory wrong.

<I>The Magic Pot and the Leprechaun<P> had long dialogue that Berger said he was nervous about, but he had faith in playwright Bren Dubay. Audiences, he said, were enthralled with the magical elements of that play.

Children also responded well to Chuck Hudson's <I>Yushi and the Thunder Dragon<P>, which ended the season on August 16. Berger said that play, based on Japanese folklore, "had a mesmerizing physical and visual aspect to it."

Yushi was one of CTF's plays adapted for deaf audiences.

"This has been the fourth season that we've made performances accessible to the deaf as well as hearing audiences," said Associate Producer Suzanne Phillips, who is also director of the shadowing program. "We do this by incorporating signing actors directly into the action of the play."

"We don't put them off to the side because that splits the focus," she said.

Deaf audiences, Phillips said, show their appreciation by waving white napkins instead of clapping.

Shadowed performances are produced in cooperation with Illuminations Theater for the Deaf, which provides actors with signing ability.

"Sign language is a very theatrical language and mixes beautifully with children's theater," Phillips said.

'DEAD,' VIRUS STILL GOING STRONG

Manuel Esparza

Daily Cougar

Not so Dead Kennedys . . .

In this season of cover compilation discs, it is amusing to see one of the most detested bands from America receive its due on the album <I>Virus 100<P>. Naturally, it's the Dead Kennedys, and naturally, it's on the Alternative Tentacles label.

According to information on the cover, this album was done not as a tribute to the Dead Kennedys, but because Alternative Tentacles was surprised to have 100 (plus) releases. The Kennedys were the label's first act and a natural choice for the project.

The album boasts a brood of bands, including Faith No More, Disposable Heros of Hiphoprisy and Napalm Death. Diverse styles and unusual interpretations make this a good album for getting rid of unwanted guests, lease-breaking and pan-Texas road trips (or any other where there is little variation in scenery).

The biggest departure from standard covers comes from Nomeansno. Their a cappella version of "Looking Forward to Death" is hysterical, especially if one is familiar with the original. Every guitar and bass note is mimicked ad absurdium.

L7 and Faith No More both do "Let's Lynch the Landlord" with two different visions. L7 does a straight cover, while Faith No More has a jazzy one. Steel Pole Bath Tub's Chemical Warfare is probably the best song on the disc. Slightly slower in pace than Dead Kennedys, the vocals are less annoying than Jello Biafra's.

Dead Kennedy classics on the disc are "Too Drunk to F#!*" (impossible to find the Kennedys' first version), Police Truck, a tribute to LA cops (written around 1982) and Holiday in Cambodia. Ex-Kennedy Klaus Flouride plays bass on this one with Sister Double Happiness.

Due to Jello's legal trouble and artistic differences, the Dead Kennedys are no more. However, this compilation keeps alive the spirit of the Kennedys' irreverent view of Americana.

"PUSSIES" UNDERRATED

Jennifer Sorufka

Daily Cougar

Faster Pussycat is one of those bands everyone has heard of but is truly known by just a handful. That's a shame.

After witnessing the unleashing of Faster Pussycat's raunchy, nasty, dark rock-n-roll at Back Stage August 10, it's obvious they deserve much more than just name recognition.

In an interview, the band's lead singer Taime Downe shed some light on the band's struggle and growth as musicians.

"We busted our butt to get where we are now," said the long-haired Downe. "The easy part was getting the initial record deal; once you get into the business, everyone has expectations of you, and you try to live up to them . . . we realized that we're in the big leagues now, and it's much harder to prove yourself."

Faster Pussycat first showed their worth to the LA scene with their self-titled debut album, in which they displayed their lighthearted punk-meets-glam sound. Two albums later, they have matured into a darker, more cynical band, ready to make the world listen.

Faster Pussycat has been grounded to the studio lately trying to perfect their latest album, <I>Whipped<P>. Scheduling delays also pushed the release date back even further, but judging from the outcome, it was all for the best.

"A good song is going to stand out, no matter if it takes five years," commented guitarist Greg Steele. "It's cool to see the band grow. We couldn't have even thought about writing this album in 1986."

Their recent Houston show exhibited their individuality up close and personal. It took no genius to note that Faster Pussycat had found their calling in their music -- they were having a blast on stage and gave the audience no choice but to do the same.

The band was obviously not trying to impress the audience with theatrics or props -- Downe didn't even bother to wear shoes.

"We try to be a 'real band,' not just a production," Downe said. "We write and perform for ourselves, not for our record company, not for our fans,"

Faster Pussycat has been itching to get out of the studio and on tour. "We love the road -- touring makes it all worthwhile," Downe said.

You would think the road would wear them down, but Downe said touring is what gives Faster Pussycat the energy to keep going. They passed this energy into the die-hard fans that flocked to see them, singing every word along with Downe.

From a bird's-eye view, the audience looked like a case of those dancing coke cans, all bobbing back and forth to the music in unison.

A lot of the audience looked as if they were excess band members, complete with pitch-black hair and the Taime Downe hat.

Faster Pussycat doesn't need audience approval to feel content with their music.

"I don't listen to people who are negative of me, only ones that are positive," Downe said. "Music is music; it's not a game, who's better than who. When you're doing it for the music rather than the monetary reasons or to get laid, it's the only attitude you can have."

TWO WRITERS ANALYZE ' BACKLASH' AGAINST WOMEN

By Meagan McGovern

Daily Cougar

Abortion rights restricted! Access to birth control denied! Women make 69 cents for every $1 made by a man! Fewer women hired in management! Two female writers believe these are the headlines Americans should have been reading throughout the 80s instead of the ones printed about women making gains in the workplace and women achieving equality. One of the women has written a book about what she believes to be a backlash against women, and the other is making plans to draw attention to women's issues.

According to <I>Backlash: The Undeclared War Against American Women<P> by Susan Faludi, the backlash is a cultural phenomenon brought on whenever women start to achieve measurable gains in society. A backlash against women happened at the turn of the century, after women were given the right to vote, and again after World War II, when women achieved great success working in factories.

Now, according to Faludi, we are experiencing an even greater one. Rape, violence against women, "the biological clock," "the man shortage," "nesting" and "family values" are all instances in which Faludi says society is trying to stop the rising tide of women in the workplace.

Her points include the following: Women are told that day-care centers aren't safe, when in fact more children are abused at home or by someone they know. Women are told working causes stress, when studies show the most well-adjusted women are those who work outside the home. Movies show unfortunate things happening to single women -- <I>Fatal Attraction<P> and even <I>The Little Mermaid<P> -- are all recent examples of what Faludi calls "backlash movies." Single women are portrayed as evil or unhappy until they find a man. Advertising portrays women in bondage, blindfolded and as children.

Nicky Marone believes in the backlash theory, and she may have found some kind of solution. In fact, some might say she has a vision. Imagine, she says, a day when major corporations have nearly all their support staff and 37 percent of their clerical staff gone.

No nurses that day, or teachers, or secretaries or waitresses. Paralegals would be gone, in her scenario, as would hotel and office maids. Schools would be closed and hospitals crippled.

National Women's Strike Day, or NWSD, as she likes to call it, is set for Aug. 26. She sees a day when "every woman in America removes herself from the work force."

This movement, she says, is necessary to "draw attention to the persistent devaluation of their labor and the appalling trivialization of their needs in the workplace."

Marone's idea was picked up by <I>The New York Times<P> on August 2. She has written several books about women and says she is an ardent feminist in an era when that once-proud label has gone the way of the word "liberal" -- once phrases that symbolized struggles for change, now stamps of ridicule.

Marone said feminists have become equated with "hairy-legged, bra-burning, man-hating women." "Women are now in the position of saying 'I'm not a feminist, but,' and then reeling off a series of pro-woman beliefs," she said.

College-age women must get involved with the issues, she said. "Don't be afraid of your anger, or of your power. We need to begin to express our power and our needs to men instead of alienating them. Get involved in some way. Go pro-choice. Vote. Don't be afraid to be vocal."

Students should get involved to help out their own future as women in the work force, she said. "These college-age women have their whole work lives in front of them, and they will face these issues."

As women get involved, Marone believes they will realize how limited their rights really are. "A lot of young women have rights that they took for granted because they grew up with them. But now, I think a lot of women are realizing these rights are becoming more fragile by the day."

HAZELWOOD ACT A BOON FOR RETURNING VETERANS

By Jim Mosley

Daily Cougar

You're a Texas veteran coming back to college and wondering how you will pay the escalating cost of tuition without the G.I. Bill. Don't worry, relief is available.

The Hazelwood Act, passed by the Texas Legislature in the Higher Education Act of 1949, enables qualified Texas veterans to attend state-supported institutions without paying tuition, general use fees and lab fees. "To qualify for the program, veterans must have entered active duty in the state of Texas," said Michael Cascio, Coordinator of UH Veteran's Services Office. "They need to be on active duty for at least 180 consecutive days (not including training) with an honorable discharge. They also must have exhausted all federal loans or grants.

"But if they already have a degree then they are eligible," added Cascio, who was an army linguist specializing in Russian.

Veterans who qualify can receive a refund for courses they paid for up to a year ago, Cascio said.

The Hazelwood Act has no time period and can be used at any time by qualified veterans, Cascio said.

The UH Veteran's Services Office also offers the VA Work Studies Program.

"The VA pays active students (who qualify) $4.25 an hour," said Cascio, who is also a first-year law student. "The money is tax-free and does not come out of UH's budget." The students can only work 25 hours a week. They must also be a veteran receiving some type of benefits from the VA in order to qualify, Cascio said.

"Our work-study allowance has fallen from nine (veterans) to three," Cascio said.

The UH Veteran's Service's Office acts as a liaison between UH and the VA, and between veterans and UH, Cascio said.

The veterans in the work-study program help run UH's Veteran's Office.

"We're swamped during registration -- sometimes we serve around 35 people a day," said Mike Handel, who works in the VA Work Study Program. "Normally we see around 10 people a day."

The office provides services for all veterans at UH, Handel said.

"We're a one-stop shopping point for veterans," Handel said. "We review their records, supply forms and refer them to the right offices (for benefits and problems)."

The office has started reaching out to veterans in the community to inform them about their benefits.

"We have sent out public service announcements to radio stations and letters to veteran's organizations in the area (to inform them about the Hazelwood program)," Cascio said.

"We get calls every day about the ads. KTRH has really helped us," Handel said. "Most of the people who call us mention where they heard it." "Ninety percent of our calls are about the Hazelwood Act," Handel added.

To contact UH's Veteran's Office, which is located in room 270 C in the UC, call 743-5490.

LSS TRYING TO IMPROVE RETENTION WITH TUTORING, GROUP STUDY

By Christa Hartman

Special to The Cougar

Whether it's for calculus or chemistry, every UH student can take advantage of the resources provided by Learning Support Services. LSS offers services such as computer software, tutoring, audio tapes and workshops.

"Our mission is to improve the retention and graduation rate of students," Patrick Daniel, program director of LSS, said. "We are most interested in getting them graduated and providing whatever we can to help them achieve that."

LSS is one of the few programs fully student-supported through the student service fee.

The most popular LSS program is peer tutoring. At least eight tutors are available beginning at 9 a.m. Monday through Friday. In 1991, they assisted 12,104 students who mostly needed help in math. But physics, chemistry, English, and computer science tutors were also popular.

Tutors are available on a walk-in basis, but they can be assigned to a student for weekly sessions. This type of tutoring is best for those with learning disabilities or those who prefer individual attention.

A student who prefers a group environment can join study sessions led by teaching assistants. But the advantage of group study isn't just learning. "It's a large institution, and this way people can make friends," Daniel said. "Here's an opportunity to interact with faculty, which you can't do in classes with 150 to 200 students." LSS also has support groups for returning and graduate students.

The service is certified by the College Reading and Learning Association, an independent agency that evaluates tutoring programs across the nation.

To be certified by CRLA, tutors and teaching assistants must train at least 12 hours per semester and must operate under the guidance of a professional staff.

As part of the training, UH requires its tutors to be instructed in interpersonal skills and teaching strategies. They must submit faculty recommendations and have GPAs of at least 3.5 in their majors and 3.2 overall. "This assures the quality of the tutorial staff," Daniel said. The professional staff at Counseling and Testing oversees LSS.

With tutoring, LSS also provides workshops led by master's-level counselor trainees. Some workshops are academic, such as "How to Stay Calm During Tests," some involve self-improvement, such as "Humor and Health," and some, like "Anger Management" focus on personal development. One of the more recent workshops was called "College Algebra -- The Movie." These are free to students, faculty and staff.

LSS also sponsors preparation workshops for the Texas Academic Skills Program test, the Writing Proficiency Exam and, starting in fall 1992, the Graduate Management Admission Test and the Graduate Record Exam.

The demand was high for preparation workshops for graduate school exams because off-campus courses are expensive, Daniel said. "We can offer prep courses for less since we need to cover costs only."

On their own, graduate and undergraduate students can take advantage of LSS computer software, video tapes and audio tapes set up in the Social Work building or the University Center Satellite. LSS software includes Spanish, logic and test-taking skills. Video tapes cover subjects such as physics and time management, and audio tapes are offered in relaxation and exam preparation.

"We try to give different media of learning because not all students can learn in a classroom," Daniel said. "Going at their own pace, students can pick up what they missed in class."

Daniel acknowledged it is difficult to get students to come in and ask for help. But many people bring friends, and the word does gets around.

"UH is so rich with resources, we just need to make students aware these services are available to them," Daniel said.

TAPES, COMPUTERS AID UH STUDENTS

By Shannon Hrozek

Special to the Cougar

"Walking into this office could very well determine a student's success or failure in his college career."

Humberto Segura, who has a master's degree in education and is supervison of the Multimedia Center, can make such a bold statement because he really believe in his program.

The Multimedia Center, located in the University Center Satellite, is designed to meet practically any need a student could have.

Audio tapes, video tapes and computer instruction are available in algebra, English, foreign languages, trigonometry and many other subjects. "This is the preferred alternative to a tutor." Segura said.

But academic tutoring is not the only help offered here. Tape topics also include typing instruction, time management, success in the classroom, relaxation, shopping for classes and choosing professors.

"Basically, the keys to success can be found right here, "Segura said. Segura helps students while working on a doctorate in education. "We are here for the student. If you come in a and tell me what you need help with, I can help. We have excellent material available," he said.

Ping Zheng, a teaching assistant in math, agrees. "I was looking for help in passing the TOEFL, ( Test of English as a Foreign Language) which all foreign students must pass before graduating. I was all over campus before somebody finally sent me here two weeks ago." Zheng said. He found such helpful instruction that he's been back every day.

The center is funded by student service fees, which are often wasted money, Segura said, noting hundreds of students watch All My Children while Multimedia Services go unused. "I want to call attention to the people behind the TV., that there's something useful right on the other side of the wall," Segura said.

If you just need a computer to write a paper you can find that here too, Segura said, but chances are, you'll find much more than that once you're in here, he said. Even though it's not the most advertised service on campus, every one who uses the center comes back, Segura said.

Industrial engineering graduate student Benjamin Richter will definitely come back. "A group of three of us are working on a major engineering project. We were about tow weeks behind schedule for the simple reason we couldn't find a computer on campus to do what we needed it to do," Richter said. The workers in the Social Work Building's computer center finally sent the group to the Multimedia Center.

"We needed a computer we could install windows in that wasn't networked - and we finally found it here. Mr. Segura offered us the computer room for all of us to work in, basically at our disposal. This place virtually saved our life," Richter said.

CHALLENGER PROGRAM CAN BOOST GRADE POINT

By Valerie King

Special to The Cougar

If your GPA needs CPR, your finances are running low, or you are away from home for the first time and are completely overwhelmed by the college scene, UH's Challenger Program can help you.

Instituted for potentially "at-risk" students, the Challenger Program is designed to provide all the help students need to complete their college education.

"The median campus-wide GPA is 2.4," said Franklin Anderson, director of the Challenger Program.

"Fifty-one percent of our students have GPAs of 2.5 or better, which means that our supposedly "at-risk" participants do better than the average UH student. We have had students come in with GPAs as low as O.33 and make the dean's list within two years."

Anderson said the program offers tutoring, academic and personal counseling, and financial aid advising. It is equipped with its own computer lab and offers a special reading, writing and study skills course which can be taken for three hours of college credit.

"Our tutors are able to help our students in all of the undergraduate core curriculum courses," said Janet Ruth Moore, academic coordinator/counselor.

Moore went on to add that Challenger tutors must have a 3.0 cumulative GPA.

"Tutoring is mandatory for Challenger students whose GPAs are 2.0 or below, as is the reading, writing and study skills course," Moore said.

There also are assistants on hand in the computer lab to help students with questions, Moore said.

"The program has a wide range of programs," said Benita Nicholas, senior Challenger member. "And the counselors are interested in you as a person as well as a student.

"We also provide social counseling and give participants appropriate referrals if their counseling needs may more adequately be met elsewhere," she said.

The Challenger Program admits currently-enrolled UH students who are faced with academic obstacles, such as poor or failing grades or learning disabilities, and/or lack adequate financial aid.

First-generation college students and students with physical disabilities are also eligible.

The Challenger Program does work. "I wasn't in academic trouble when I joined the program," Nicholas said, "but I was interested in improving my grades. The Challenger Program has helped me tremendously in this area."

Moore said progress reports are sent to each Challenger participant's professors twice a semester and that students are called in for advising if it is obvious they need help.

"We don't just want to get our students into college," she said. "We want to get them out."

Eleven Challenger students made the dean's list this year.

UH ACTORS FIGHT STEREOTYPES

By Dena Fontno

Special to The Cougar

This fall, a new and unique organization will become part of the African American Studies program.

Darker Shades of Expression, a troupe which combines theater, education and professional networking, will join students on campus in a way never attempted before.

"DSE was developed as an outlet for students of color to display their theatrical talents while attending the university. We also feel that this organization will further enhance our growing multi-cultural environment," said Loria Ewing, DSE founder and president.

The idea for Darker Shades of Expression came about through a conversation by students in the African American Studies office. The students complained about the lack of available roles in television, movies and plays for African American students or students of color.

Tony Canady, one of the lead actors in the DSE's first production, said, "We were basically tired of the stereotypical roles presented about us in the media, and we desired to change that by writing, directing and producing plays that show how we actually are."

Although geared toward students of color, DSE does not exclude others from participating. The group will host guest speakers, sponsor theater workshops with local talent and produce skits for elementary and high school students dealing with issues important to the community.

"One of the first large-scale projects that we will be doing is a play called 'Checkmates'. It will be on Oct. 18 in the Cullen Auditorium. We encourage all students to attend and enjoy works written by African American authors," Canady said.

Other activities co-sponsored by Darker Shades of Expression include an appearance by acclaimed actress Ruby Dee on Oct. 2 and the presentation of "Stereotypes," a play written and performed by seven local high school teenagers.

DSE has also been involved with the university orientation sessions held this summer.

"DSE is really excited about this new school year. We have a new organization and many projects in the works," Canady said. "We want to encourage any student interested in the theater troupe to come check us out in the fall. We can easily be found in the AAS office."

SUPERCONDUCTIVITY FINDS A HOME AT UH

By Robin Schobelock

Special to The Cougar

The technology invented by UH's Texas Center for Superconductivity could make science fiction become reality.

The UH Science Center, dedicated in February, provides administrative and laboratory space for TCSUH and the biochemistry department.

TCSUH, directed by famed physicist Paul Chu, is one of the world's most comprehensive superconductivity centers. It includes three different areas of research: high temperature superconductivity (HTS) and related materials headed by Chu, HTS applied research headed by Wei-Kan Chu and advanced material initiatives headed by Allen Jacobson.

A March 17 story in the New York Times said "HTS has been identified by the Defense Department as one of the strategic technologies for the U.S." It has been named by scientists as one of the most important technologies for the 21st Century, according to a Jan. 1, 1991, article in the Times.

Paul Chu's direction of TSCUH has led UH into a top 10 percent position in a ranking of U.S. universities in the field of physical science research. TCSUH receives federal, state, corporate and private funding to continue the research momentum.

In addition, collaborations have been formed with Allied-Signal Aerospace, Boeing, DuPont, Electric Power Research Institute, General Dynamics, High Temperature Superconductivity Pilot Centers, NASA and the U.S. Department of Energy.

"Superconductors," according to Paul Chu, "are materials which conduct electricity with no resistance and no loss of energy.

Superconductivity was discovered in 1911 by Kammerling Onnes. Conventional superconductors must be cooled to the temperature of liquid helium, an expensive and inefficient coolant," Paul Chu explained. Liquid helium boils at 4 degrees K (Kelvin).

The 1987 research team discovered superconducting ceramic materials that cooled at the more practical temperature of 77 degrees K, the boiling point of liquid nitrogen.

The deputy director of research, Wei-Kan Chu, said the letters "TEEM" stand for the areas of HTS application. The "T" stands for transportation, "E" for electrical power, " the second "E" for electronics and the "M" stands for medical.

One practical benefit of HTS would be the improvement of transportation, such as magnetically levitating trains (MagLev's) that could move at speeds greater than 300 mph. MagLev's would be more energy-efficient, last longer, require less maintenance and cause less pollution than current ground forms of transportation, said W.K. Chu. MagLev's could travel from Houston to Dallas in about an hour.

Japan and Germany already have prototypes of these trains made with conventional superconducting materials. The first MagLev for public use is scheduled to be built in 1996 in Orlando, Fla. It is intended to travel the 14-mile route from the Orlando Airport to the Disney World area. The project will be a joint venture of Japanese, German and U.S. companies. The outcome will influence the future of MagLev's being built in other areas.

"Superconducting motors and batteries will play a role in electric cars and magnetically propelled ships," Paul Chu said.

Electric energy and electronics will benefit from HTS by helping to create cheaper, smaller, more efficient devices, such as generators and motors.

W.K. Chu said HTS will allow the country to save 1 percent of its electrical power by using more efficient motors and storing unused energy for future use. He also said generators could be made half as big.

Susan Butler, associate director of public affairs, said HTS technology is "producing faster and faster computers with the ability to perform ever more complex calculations." She adds the technology is progressing toward the development of Josephson Junctions, superconducting switches that act like transistors and are 100 times faster than current switches.

Medicine would see improvements in magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and other devices. New, smaller, cheaper devices will greatly improve diagnostic techniques. Superconducting quantum interference devices (SQUIDs) could track the magnetic field of the brain, which would help diagnose tumors and epilepsy.

"Devices made from SQUIDs could be so small that they could be carried around and used in emergencies," W.K. Chu said, adding SQUIDs will be powerful enough to detect the blinking of an eye when placed against a person's face.

Anything that currently uses electromagnets could be improved by HTS technology.

"Over 180 faculty, graduate and undergraduate students, post-doctoral fellows and visiting scientists from academic, industry and government laboratories are working in tandem," Butler said, "to help industry bring products to the marketplace."

Paul Chu said, "If history serves as a guide, the wonderland of HTS applications is destined to be achievable in the foreseeable future with determination, persistence and patience, all guided by vision and imaginative experimentation."

HANG ON TO YOUR PEROT BUTTON

By Ericka Schiche

Daily Cougar

Dan Quayle will cringe when he sees what the Democrats have created: a button featuring the vice president's likeness with the phrase "Just Say Noe," a misspelling of the slogan used frequently in anti-drug campaigns.

More buttons and campaign memorabilia of the unusual sort are found throughout the pages of <I>Hail to the Candidate: Presidential Campaigns From Banners to Broadcasts<P>, a coffee table book written by Keith Melder, curator for the Smithsonian Institute.

One of the most peculiar items is a former-President Lyndon Johnson dart game. If the dart struck Johnson in the eye, the person would score 100 points. "This game was probably not a campaign novelty but rather an expression of opposition to Lyndon Johnson's escalation of the war in Vietnam. Still, it does crystallize the attitude behind the ugliest campaign attacks, and it may mark a change for the worse in America's view of politics in general," wrote Melder in his description of "hos-til'-ity: The 'anti-hero' dart game."

Odd assortments of candidate-inspired jewelry abound, such as the "I Like Ike" earrings, and items that reinforce caricatures of candidates, like the peanut-shaped piggy bank featuring the toothy grin of former-President Jimmy Carter.

Melder, 60, recalls with delight his first taste of political history. "I remember standing beside a little country railroad station when Franklin Delano Roosevelt's campaign train went through. It didn't stop, so we just waved," he said of his experience at age eight in 1940.

Later, Melder decided upon American Studies as his academic field of choice, graduating from Williams College with a bachelor's degree (1954), master's (1958) and doctorate (1964) degrees from Yale University.

Melder's studies, of which he said cultural anthropology has played an integral part, gave him the motivation to create his own historical projects. In the late 1970s, he worked on a project in Salem, Massachusetts -- an exhibition on community life called "Life and Times in Shoe City" -- which is about the town of Lynn, Massachusetts, a shoe-making community.

Melder has studied other communities, such as Washington, D.C., which many people are unfamiliar with. Writing his latest book gives Melder an opportunity to integrate his fields of expertise. He describes the Smithsonian collection as "one of the greatest collections of its kind" in the world.

"The Thomas Jefferson inaugural banner is the rarest and most important item in our collection," he said of the political history section of the Smithsonian. Melder said the banner, "found by a schoolboy who picked it up and saved it," is shrouded in mystery "because we don't know anything about what happened to it for 150 years from the time of use in 1801 until the boy discovered it."

The book includes chapters on negative campaigning, advertising, campaign finance, voter turnout, the women's vote and the mass media.

Melder devotes much space in his book to the influence of mass media on politics. He mentions the televised Kennedy-Nixon presidential candidate debates as a prime example of how the media affects strategy. He said, "One of the important effects of the media is that it has encouraged citizens to be spectators in the process instead of participants. In the middle of the 19th century, people got more involved by going to rallies and parades."

Of all the eras in American politics, the one most intriguing to Melder is the period before the Civil War, from 1830 to 1860.

Discussing the value of items, Melder said the age, rarity and quality of the objects play a part in determining worth in the collection. "There isn't a clear sense of whether value is associated with the opinions of people about the presidential candidate," he said. "Some of the rarest items that I know of are from candidates who didn't make it."

One of them who didn't make it is former unofficial presidential candidate H. Ross Perot. Melder said Perot items will probably become more valuable as time passes. Members of the political history staff collected some buttons, T-shirts, bumper stickers and novelty items from the Perot camp. Smithsonian staffers also received about 100 items during the Democratic National Convention.

Melder also acts as curator of an exhibit on the material culture, which will include a body of important things familiar from the past. He has written a book about the city of Washington, D.C. beyond the capital, and he said he finds its history fascinating.

When the convention phase has concluded, Melder will have collected hundreds of items from the Bush, Clinton, Perot and other independent campaigns.

MORALE-BOOSTING EFFORT LAUNCHED

By Marcia Marbury

Daily Cougar

UH President James Pickering recently announced he was forming a campus-wide committee to find ways to buttress UH employees' morale. The program would start in the fall.

Pickering appointed several UH vice presidents to create a board that will address ways in which employees can be recognized for a job well done.

Wendy Adair, associate vice president for university relations, said she and other officials recently had "an informal conversation" about shaping the new committee, but, "nothing is definite."

She said the committee was in the formative stages, and she was still getting employee suggestions.

Adair said UH administration doesn't want officials just attending meetings, but making an impact. "We're trying to go beyond the tradition," Adair said.

Pickering's announcement, which was printed in UHouston, stated his definition of morale, and told how it can be implemented at UH to create "a great urban university."

"Morale is when your hands and feet keep on working when your head says it can't be done," Pickering wrote, quoting American naval commander and businessman, Admiral Ben Moreell.

He added it is a talent that will become more important as the financial future of public higher education comes under further scrunity during the next legislative session.

Pickering also said he hopes to encourage managers and department heads to invent recognition programs within their division.

Elwyn Lee, vice president for student affairs, said his department has already formed a committee in efforts to recognize employees.

It was formed when student affairs employee Kathy Anzivino was recently appointed chairperson of the Division of Student Affairs Staff Development committee.

Anzivino said this committee will scope out ways to help employees perform a better job and will work closely with the UH Department of Human Resources to increase morale; thus, better serving UH students.

A good example is the UHPD "Employee of the Month" recognition program. "It looks at employees who have gone beyond the call of duty," Anzivino said.

Other ways to recognize employees and boost their morale, said Betty Green, administrative assistant to the president, are for bosses to sometimes say kind words, such as "thank you" or "job well done."

Lee said initiating wellness programs, such as exercising facilities or offering free health care benefits, are good examples of ways to increase employee morale.

Jerry Osborne, UH director of Counseling and Testing said his department acknowledges employees who do a good job by complimenting them at its once-a-month staff meeting.

Osborne said although he would like to see outstanding employees recognized by receiving a permanent parking space for one month, that program doesn't exist.

According to an article written by a Houston Chronicle reporter Debra Beachy, a temporary employee franchise in Bryan, Texas, motivates its employees by asking them to place their good works of the week in the president's "brag basket."

Prizes, such as a $100 bonus check or house cleaning service, have been awarded to winners.

Osborne said Fridays at CTS are great incentives for employees to do a good job, because personnel are allowed to dress casually, as opposed to wearing business attire Monday through Thursday.

"People always look forward to Fridays." Employees tend to be more upbeat and bring more energy to work, he said.

However, Osborne added he believes UH employee morale on a scale of one to 10 is "below average."

Main contributions to the lowered morale are the economy, the changes in UH leadership and bureaucracy, he said.

Also, Lee said, some salaries offered for certain jobs at UH are not competitive with comparative jobs in the private sector.

Yet, there's a trade-off. Layoff is a last resort at UH, he said.

Osborne said UH leaders can raise morale by consistently listening to employees and informing them of the direction in which they are headed.

"We may not have a lot of money, but we have a lot of intelligence running around here," he said.

Lee said UH's on-going goal "is not for them (employees) to do what they have to do, but to be happy doing it."

Students will receive better service if the employees' morale increase, because employees will go that extra mile, Lee said.

UH students interested in recognizing UH employees who go beyond the call of duty can submit letters to the president's office, which is located on the second floor of the E. Cullen Building.

HILTON TEACHES HOSPITALITY, FLAMBE'

By Valerie King

Special to the Cougar

"Once, in a cooking class, a teaching assistant tried to flambe something, and he used too much alcohol. There was a big flame, and the table cloth caught on fire.

"It was really funny because he had just finished emphasizing the importance of always having a fire extinguisher around."

Cooking classes and fire safety information are just two of the things Ann Marie Brown has found as a student at UH's College of Hotel and Restaurant Management. "The school is the best in the country. It has very nice facilities and is top of the line technologically," Brown said.

The college recently appointed Hugh Walker as its dean.

"He (Walker) wants us to be number-one and wants people to be aware of what we have over here," said Lynette Gulley, director of Student Services.

Although there hasn't been an official ranking in a while, according to Gulley, HRM always places first or second, with Cornell University always occupying the other spot.

Established in 1969, the college provides students with practical training.

"Students get the real experience here," Gulley said. "In the kitchen, they're cooking on stainless steel pots like the ones they will find in a real restaurant. Other (HRM) programs are sometimes part of home economics, and the students only learn to use everyday kitchen appliances. We have the best facilities.

UH's HRM students also run Barron's restaurant in the evenings. The students do everything from planning the menu and marketing to purchasing and accounting.

Gulley said Conrad Hilton liked Houston and thought it would be a good place for a hotel college. The money for the college came from the Hilton Foundation, not the Hilton Corp.

The Hilton is a fully functioning hotel with 86 rooms.

"Lots of people don't know about the hotel," Gulley said. "We don't advertise because we don't compete with the Houston hotel industry."

Students at HRM earn a bachelor of science degree, and they may then study for a master's in hospitality management.

HRM majors take business courses that emphasize hospitality, and they can go into any type of business/management field and be successful, Gulley said.

"We don't just study hotels and restaurants," Brown said. "We study finance, statistics, law and food sanitation."

Approximately 950 students are enrolled in the HRM program, and about 150 graduate each semester, Gulley said.

"This is a great major for undeclared students. We really help with course selection. Every semester, we have a pre-advising session the week before priority registration. We update (four-year curriculum) plans and let the students know where they stand in terms of prerequisites, WPE (Writing Proficiency Exam), information, etc. We really take care of our students over here."

'BIG BARN' BOAST BAD-BLOWING BUGLES

By Margaret Musoke Mulumba

Special to The Cougar

You don't have to be a music major to take out your horn and get ready for a trip to France with the UH Cougar Band.

"We have been invited back for the carnival in February 1993," said Nelda Landry, band secretary. "Students who would like to be in the band can come in and audition with Robert Mayes, the band director."

Mayes is looking for a positive attitude and not superstar qualities. "I have an open-door policy," he said. "There are good and average players, but attitude is what is important."

You have to be enrolled in Marching Band 1100 at UH to be able to perform. A week-long practice will begin Aug. 24. "There will be lunches, dinners and other fun things to go with it," Landry said.

Also affiliated with the marching band are the Cougar Dolls. Students interested in putting on a dance performance at half-time can pick a routine of their choice and audition with Diane Mayes, wife of Robert Mayes.

"She is really good," band member John Morrison said. "Half of the Houston Oiler dancers were former Cougar Dolls."

They get opportunities to travel abroad and have already been to Japan three times, he said.

Morrison, who plays the euphonium, has been a band member for five years and has also had his share of traveling abroad.

"I remember enjoying four days in the sun when we went to the Aloha Bowl in Hawaii in 1988," he said. "Two years ago, we also went to Tokyo."

Robert Mayes said students think band membership is time-consuming and will hurt their grades. "This is not true. We have some members in the Honors Program," he said.

Being in the band does not take time away from his studies, Morrison said. "It's not like in high school, which involves long hours practicing. This is more professional, and when it is time to leave, we don't stay longer than we should."

Band practice is 3-5 p.m. every Monday, Wednesday and Thursday and is the class time for Marching Band 1100.

The band has 250 members, including the Cougar Dolls and the Color Guard. There is no membership limit.

"We wouldn't mind having 400 members," Landry said. "Everyone is welcome to join."

About 70 percent of the band consists of non-music majors. "We have engineering majors who put their calculus aside for a while to be part of our band family," Mayes said.

"As band director, I get the chance to become close to my students and help counsel them. There is always assistance for students having a hard time maneuvering certain movements," he said.

"We are one big family, and this is the place to be if you are new on campus and don't know anybody," Landry said. "Sometimes, I walk in here at 11 p.m., and students are eating, drinking and going over things with each other. This big, old barn is home," Landry said, referring to the band office.

A mentor program is also available to help freshman students adjust to campus life.

"Everyone here works together to put on a good performance," Morrison said. "We represent the university, and when we put on our uniforms, we are the university."

The band performs at all the home football games and some of the games away from home.

STUDENTS TAKE PART IN TOP-RATED INTRAMURAL PROGRAM

By Christa Hartman

Special to The Cougar

UH can boast one of the top intramural departments in the nation. Schools around the country have modeled their programs after UH's.

"The program is so successful because we focus on the students," said R.T. "Rookie" Dickenson, assistant athletic director.

"We've created a department that contributes not only to individuals' physical health, but also their mental, social and emotional health."

Dickenson said the program ultimately helps people develop the emotional control necessary to lead a life free from an overstressed environment.

"Students find that teamwork and a contribution to something larger than themselves is important to a happier life," Dickenson said. "We offer that opportunity."

Along with the games, students are free to become active in the administration. They can attend weekly managers' meetings and voice their opinions to the directors.

"There are really three reasons why our department is so good," Dickenson said. "Our student involvement is one."

Most programs around the nation usually have two meetings per semester, and they wonder why they have difficulties, Dickenson said.

He said the second reason the program is successful is because he has always hired staff that reflects the participants. Dickenson has been with the department for 30 years.

"If we have heavy black participation, we want blacks on staff," he said. "If we have heavy Greek participation, we want to hire people from fraternities and sororities. If there are a lot of women participants, we want women on staff."

The third reason for the success is the point system, in which each participating team or individual earns points for the activity entered. "Our point system is designed so you can play and never win," Dickenson said. "But if you enter a lot of activities, you could win the championship."

The program has four divisions: Greek, professional, dormitory and individual. Each division has organizations, or teams, within it.

For example, in the dormitory division, the third floor of Taub could organize a volleyball team called the Roadrunners.

All activities are broken down into five different classifications between. Games in classification one, such as basketball and softball, are popular team sports and carry the most points. Games in classification five, such as pyramid building, carry no points.

The Intramural Dkepartment offered 78 events to the more than 100 organizations within the university in 1991. Approximately 12,800 individuals participated that year.

Although the number of UH students involved in intramurals has stayed around 33 percent, people who used to enter two events are now entering seven. "The participation began growing because of the health craze," Dickenson said.

Intramural activities are open to students, faculty and staff. Alumni must join and pay dues to the Alumni Association and must have a recreation card to participate. The department also offers classes for handicapped students.

People interested in signing up as individuals or as a team can attend a managers meeting held at noon every Friday at the University Center. They can also sign up at the Intramural Department office.

UH OFFERS SAT RETREAT FOR INNER-CITY HISPANICS

By Nita Gonzales

Special to The Cougar

For 40 to 50 Hispanic students, the only barrier standing between them and a $4,000 UH scholarship is the Scholastic Aptitude Test.

The only requirement Austin High School students in the Family College Project must meet to receive the scholarship is to be admitted into UH.

To accomplish this, they must get an acceptable SAT score to fulfill current UH admission requirements.

UH is offering the $4,000 scholarships to the inner-city high school students as an incentive to continue their education at UH.

"It's a real incentive to know that just by being admitted into UH, the students get $4,000," said Laura Gonzalez Murillo, program coordinator.

To help those students raise their SAT scores, the Mexican American Studies Program sponsored an SAT retreat Friday, July 17, to Sunday, July 19, in the UH residence halls.

"We want to see what their areas of weaknesses are," Murillo said. "We want them to know what to expect and how to be prepared."

At the retreat, the students attended intensive SAT review sessions and took the SAT twice. One test was taken before the review sessions and another test after the sessions.

The students took the first SAT as a pre-test to determine what sections they needed the most help in.

"We determined that the verbal section was the most weak," said Betty Porter, a counselor administering the test. "That gave us some ideas on where to go with the students."

At the retreat sessions, students were given test-taking tips and learned strategic approaches for different types of questions.

"We are not teaching knowledge; we are teaching how to take the test," Porter said.

According to Porter, the retreat helped ease the students' fears.

"We go over techniques and familiarize the students with the test because many times they go in to take the SAT, and they really had never seen it" Porter said. "Knowing things about the SAT before taking it helps relieve stress."

The retreat coordinators taught the students how to take the test in a strategic fashion.

"I know when to guess and when not to," Adrian Droles said. "The retreat taught me how to study for parts of the SAT."

Some students have a difficult time getting accustomed to the time limit on each section.

"The kids who take the SAT are perfectionists who stay with something until they get it," Porter said. "They try to do that on the SAT, and they can't because they only have 30 minutes to do the sections."

Students in the Family College Project who attended the retreat realize that the only obstacle between them and a UH scholarship is their SAT score. Keeping that in mind, the students are shooting for the highest possible score.

"The retreat is effective," Rosaura Rodriquez said. "I improved my score by 60 points."

According to Porter, the college board tells students that taking the SAT over and over does not help raise scores.

"It does help," Porter said. "Each time the students take the test, they feel more comfortable about it, and that helps them do better."

For students participating in the Family College Project, the retreat experience gives them a close look at UH and college life.

"In the beginning (of the project), I didn't think about college," Adrian Droles said. "The project got me to think about college and encouraged me."

According to Murillo and Porter, a weekend SAT retreat of this kind has never been tried before at UH.

"It was like a camp," Porter said. "I had never done a weekend program. It was unique that students got one weekend where they just got all the information they needed to cover as much as possible."

Although the concentrated three-day retreat is unique, teaching SAT workshops is an annual effort for inner-city schools.

"I had been doing an SAT preparatory program at Milby High School for years," Porter said. "HISD funds the program for any one who wants to do it."

There is a shared commitment from teachers and students because they all see positive results from the workshops and review sessions.

"It is just amazing how much their scores go up," Porter said. "I just can't imagine that people would not be excited about having this kind of effect and raising those scores."

After the retreat, the students will take the SAT in October. Those scores will be compared with the scores received prior to the retreat to test the effectiveness of the retreat program.

Mini-workshops will be offered to students in preparation for the October test.

DONATIONS AND RESEARCH MARK 65-YEAR UH HISTORY

By Rhonda Compton

Special to The Cougar

What we know today as the University of Houston was started in 1927 as a junior college founded to give city-bound students an opportunity to go to college.

The school consisted of several shacks on the San Jacinto High School campus. Because of its booming enrollment, the 1943 Texas Legislature passed a law creating the University of Houston. This enabled the University to receive donations of cash and land on which to build.

A city-wide campaign began to help build the university. Support came in the form of money and land from Ben Taub, the heirs of J. J. Settegast and Mr. and Mrs. Hugh Roy Cullen.

The university moved to its new campus in 1938. Its first structure, the Roy Gustav Cullen Building, was erected in 1939 as a memorial to the late son of the Cullens.

As time went on, enrollment, support and the number of buildings increased.

The university became an important asset to the community. The first blood bank in Houston, which later became the Houston and Harris County Blood Bank, began at UH.

UH has endured wars and did its part during World War II by housing a Navy Vocational School and training private pilots in association with the Civil Aeronautics Authority.

The university's rapid growth enabled it to expand its size and to compete with other institutions. Highlights of the early years include:

-In 1946, UH's first intercollegiate athletic program began when it joined the Lone Star Athletic Conference.

-In 1947, the Cullen family donated funds to construct the engineering laboratory building.

-In 1947, the schools of law and pharmacy were opened.

-In 1948, construction began on the Ezekiel W. Cullen Building (named after Hugh Roy's grandfather) and the Central Power Plant.

-In 1948, the first army R.O.T.C. was established.

-In 1951, students moved into new dormitories.

-In 1952, the School of Optometry began.

The university's newest addition is the 119,000-square-foot UH Science Center, nearly half of which is reserved for research into superconductivity.

TCSUH was created by the Texas Legislature in 1987 after the discovery of superconductivity above the boiling temperature of liquid nitrogen. The center houses the world's most sophisticated laboratories for research in superconductivity, materials science and biochemistry. It receives annual funding of between $9 million and $10 million through federal, state and private funding.

A future addition to the campus will come about because of the gift of $25 million to the Athletic Department from John and Becky Moores -- the new athletic facility, of which construction will begin around February or March of 1993 and is expected to be completed within 18 months.

The facility, located between Hofheinz Pavilion and the baseball field, will include a state-of-the-art training, therapy and rehabilitation center and will house 220,000 square feet of Athletic Department offices and an indoor training area which will serve intercollegiate sports and the general student body.

The facility will include the largest weight room in the country and will have a 120-yard artificial surface which rolls up for easy storage. A surface for track, tennis and a variety of other sports will lie under the turf. 10,000 square feet will be devoted to studying and academic counseling areas.

The university has grown and expanded since its inception, winning championship games, academic competitions and a Heisman trophy.

The university is known for its important research and studies in energy, health and science.

Its seal contains the Sam Houston family coat-of-arms. The shield in the center of the coat was granted by William the Conqueror in 1066 when the Houston family accompanied him during his invasion of England. The checkered chevron is symbolic of a family of nobility, and the small birds on the shield are martlets, which symbolize peace and brotherly love.

In 1686, James II of Scotland was saved from death during a battle by the timely arrival of the Houston family and its troops. In appreciation, he authorized three additional symbols to be placed on the family coat-of-arms: two greyhounds denoting speed, directness and a singleness of purpose in rendering a service to the country; a winged hour-glass to show that the aid arrived within the hour; and a scroll bearing the words "IN TIME."

Cullen was quoted as saying, "...the University of Houston must always be a college for the working man and woman. I have a warm spot for those who have to get their education the hard way."

CULLEN FOUNTAIN--CAMPUS CENTERPIECE--TO SPOUT AGAIN IN FALL

By Rhonda Compton

Special to The Cougar

Since the beginning of December, we have all seen the construction workers at the Cullen Fountain. They have done a lot of unearthing, but what exactly is going on?

I went to the construction sight to find out for myself. The fountain has been around since the fall of 1971, which seems like forever, and in the last few years, time has taken its toll.

The construction work is being done by Williams Development & Construction Inc. and is headed by Mike Buchanan. This company was chosen in an open bid conducted by the state. James Berry, associate vice chancellor for facilities planning and construction, said, "The repair will cost $1.02 million.

"We started working on the fountain around the first of December and plan to finish about the middle of August or the first part of September. Outside of the rain, we've been running on schedule and on budget. The only thing that has been a problem has been in total, the 103 days of rain," Buchanan said.

The number of workers on the site varies between three and 70 people. Workers Mike Aguilar and Richard Gayton, who stabilize the concrete with rebarb, have been working on the sight for eight weeks. "It's a good job, and it's been a challenge," Aguilar said. "Everything is running smoothly; the only bad part of the job has been the heat," Gayton said.

The fountain has steadily deteriorated through the years. "It holds about 300,000 gallons of water, and it needed new pipes and a new slab, so we've removed it and poured a new slab and put new lights and pipes in," Buchanan said.

Allen Marcotte Jr., assistant labor foreman, has been working at the sight since December. "We've poured about 600 yards of cement. This is about 60 truck loads of cement," Marcotte said.

For Buchanan, starting the job wasn't a problem. "Architects and engineers gave us documents with complete plans of the fountain. The school has been very cooperative to work with," Buchanan said.

Marlin Davis, an RTV senior, said, "The rebuilding of the fountain will enhance the beauty of the campus. It hasn't been working for quite a while, and it's about time it has been repaired. I think it makes a big impression on people, especially visitors and those thinking about attending our university."

This coming fall, the university will be back to its old self, minus the construction workers, detours and the mess, of course. When new students see the Cullen Fountain, they will see it for its beauty and grandeur; returning students will see it for what it has once again become.