UH'S RESEARCH FUNDING TRIPLES OVER LAST 10 YEARS

by Veronica Guevara

A silver lining to the dark cloud of "responsive reshaping", hovering over UH, appears in the report that UH has exceeded $50 million in research funding.

Julie Norris, director of the Office of Sponsored Programs, compiled data on August 21 to report UH's fiscal year, 1991-92, research funding total of $50,292,831.

According to Eric Miller, UH Media Relations spokesman, this year's total triples that of a decade ago -- a figure less than $14 million.

UH President James Pickering calls this "an exciting institutional milestone."

"Just a few years ago, the University was laying plans to develop a large, dynamic research program," Pickering said. He points to years of combined effort from faculty, staff and students in helping to achieve this goal and calls it, "a visible and persuasive statement about the qualitative development of this university."

Ranking third in Texas behind the University of Texas and Texas A & M in external research support, UH has exceeded its long term goals set in the mid 1980s -- $45 million in annual research by 1990 and $60 million by 2000.

UH research funding is broken down into several categories: Federal -- $23,911,968, State -- $15,950,029, Local -- $1,227,318, private foundations -- $5,446,498 and others --3,717,018. (As of 8/21/92)*

Leading funding sources in each category include: Federal -- NASA, National Institutes of Health and National Science Foundation; State -- Office of the Governor and Coordinating Board of Higher Education; Other Sources -- Welch Foundation and Keck Foundation.*

Leading funding recipients include the departments of Natural Sciences and Mathematics ($18.4 million), Engineering ($6.9 million), Texas Center for Superconductivity ($6.9 million), Business Administration ($2.8 million).*

UH research funding supports everything from superconductivity and space research to community-based home care programs in optometry, efforts to preserve long-lost Hispanic literature in this country and comprehensive studies of the Russian economy.

Pickering also added that UH's rate of research growth is among the highest in the nation.

*******************************************************

NEW FEE OPENS DOORS TO THE WORLD FOR STUDENTS INTERESTED IN STUDYING

by Tom Anderson

Students wishing to study abroad can now seek help in paying for their stay overseas courtesy of the new $1 International Education Fee that the Texas Legislature has allowed state universities to assess on all students.

More than 80 additional students will be assisted by the $1 fee that has been recently added to the tuition of all registering UH students, Susan Jackson, UH director of Operating Budget estimates.

"This fee helps pay for student scholarships in the study abroad programs of different departments," Jackson said. More than $80,000 is expected to be collected from the fee this year. Students will pay $1 each time they register.

Approximately 85 to 90% of the revenue generated by the fee will be used to send UH students overseas, and 10 to 15% will be used to bring foreign students to UH, Jason Fuller, Students' Association's director of personnel said.

A short-term scholarship of $500 is available for students studying less than one semester. Students participating in a long term program, one or more semesters, will be eligible for a scholarship of $1000, Fuller said.

A selection committee composed of two students from the Students' Association, two students from the Council of Ethnic Organizations and five faculty and staff members will select students to receive assistance based on the uniqueness of the program, student merit and financial need. "Living expenses in the country will probably be considered, too," Fuller said. "Obviously, $1000 wouldn't last very long in Japan since a hamburger is $9."

"It's striking that UH does not have a program like this," said Fuller. "It's an international university in an international city. Clearly the university will benefit from having more international students coming to its campus."

UH is the only major state university to not have this fund, said Fuller. A&M, UT, Texas Tech, and UT Arlington have had the fee for several semesters.

"Funds from the International Education Fee will be able to be rolled over if applicants do not seem serious about studying abroad," in order to prevent them from using the money "to go have a good time in France." Fuller said.

A student vote was not needed to approve this $1 fee, Jackson said, because the fee is allowed by the state legislature.

ARCHITECTURE STUDENTS PUT SKILLS TO USE WHILE HELPING OTHERS

by David K. Conover

The University of Houston chapter of Habitat for Humanity, a national non-profit organization which helps provide basic housing for low-income families, is busy once again this semester. The UH chapter, which comprises of approximately 150 students, faculty, and alumni with the College of Architecture is currently working, in conjunction with the American Institution of Architecture Students (A.I.A.S.), on a community space located on Rawley street in Houston's Fifth Ward.

Architecture professor David Thaddeus, the founder of the UH chapter, said ideas from four students; Michael Dreef, Marcal Opstal, David Lee, and Le Nguyen were incorporated into the designs for the project which is scheduled for completion by the end of November. The students won a design build competition and the A.I.A.S. contacted Habitat for Humanity with the ideas for the community area. The designs call for benches, barbecue pits and a covered area to be located on the median of Rawley street. Some trees will also be planted. Although a majority of the materials were donated to Habitat for Humanity for this project, about $2000 is still needed to purchase lumber and other supplies, added Thaddeus. Construction is being done by about 60 volunteers from UH. Dreef said of the project, "It's great. What started as a small design for the school has now given us a chance to build something." In a press release Thaddeus said, "The Habitat program presents a unique opportunity because we can use hands-on experience to teach our students while benefiting a good cause." A similar design to the community space is being built by the students at the atrium of the Architecture building.

Earlier this summer the UH Habitat finished and dedicated a new home in the Habitat Partnership Village, also located in the Fifth Ward. Over the past four years the UH Habitat has helped build eight of the nineteen new houses in that community. Starting in October, volunteers will begin construction on ten new houses. If you are interested in helping, contact Renee Myers at 799-9083.

LOT 16D TO MINIMIZE PARKING HASSLES

by Karen Snelling

Help to alleviate students' parking frustrations is on its way.

A new student parking lot, Lot 16D, located at Elgin across the street from the Architecture building, will open beginning around Oct. 21, said Jim Berry, director of Facilities, Planning and Construction.

This new lot is strictly a student lot containing no faculty or staff spaces, he said.

Lot 16D is actually an extension of Lot 16B, located next to the Architecture building, Gerald Hagan, manager of Parking and Transportation, said.

Hagan added that they are also expanding the economy lot, 16E located at the corner of Elgin and Cullen where the old Del Taco used to stand. By adding 120 spaces, construction will increase this lot from 57 spaces to 177 spaces, he said.

These two projects will create approximately 480 new parking spaces, and based on past surveys conducted by Parking and Transportation, this should provide enough spaces for students, Hagan said.

Student parking has, unfortunately, been a major problem for a long time according to Hagan.

UH officials have been discussing plans to develop these two lots for about two years, he said, and actual construction began this year early in June.

This area was chosen for parking because it is the "only available land we have to expand on this side of campus," he said.

There is a strong need for parking at this area of the school, he said.

Hagan mentioned that student parking fees will pay for the entire cost of the lots because the state government does not fund this project.

This is good news for students because even with this summer's construction, parking fees went down this year by 10 percent across the board, he said.

A full year student permit decreased to $63 from $70, and an economy permit decreased to $9 from $10, he said.

Parking and transportation created extremely aggressive plans for improvements, but because they are stretching these plans out over a long period of time instead of just one school year, they are still able to reduce fees this year, he explained.

"What we are really trying to do is show that there are some areas that we can improve and still cut back fees as an incentive for students," he said.

Hagan added that he is really glad that in a very short time students will have more room to park.

The original date for completion of the lots was planned for Sept. 21, but this summer's rain "wiped them out," Berry said.

The rain made the ground extremely muddy, he said, and construction can not continue in mud.

Hagan added that construction was also delayed slightly because the foundations from the previous buildings were harder to remove from under the ground surface than was anticipated.

Presently, the two day process of striping the new lots is planned to begin during the week of Oct. 19, Berry said.

When the paint stripes are dry, students can take over.

'92 SWC FOOTBALL TOUR (part 2)

TEAFF TAKES LAST STAND AT BAYLOR

by Jason Luther

As Grant Teaff, the SWC's winningest active coach, prepares to leave coaching and take over as the school's Athletic Director, he would no doubt like to leave on the heels of a third conference title.

The Bears do have an outside shot at the title, but they will have to overcome the inexperience of the offensive and defensive linemen to do so.

With former Consensus All-American Santana Dotson and the rest of last year's defensive line gone, Coach Teaff will have a smaller and younger defensive line.

"Last year we were a wall on defense," Teaff said.

"This year we'll be a machine gun. We'll have people flying to the football, hitting hard and fast."

The Baylor defensive line will look to senior left end Albert Fontenot for leadership. The 243-pound Fontenot was a co-recipient of Teaff's Outstanding Effort Award in spring training.

Look for senior Le'Shai Maston to lead the linebacker corps. Last season, Maston was an All-SWC performer, leading the team with 110 tackles.

The Bears have two starters returning from last season's defensive secondary, senior cornerbacks Michael McFarland and Keith Caldwell.

McFarland was an All-SWC strong safety last season, and along with former free safety Caldwell, converted to cornerback this season.

The Bears' biggest asset this season will be junior quarterback, J.J. Joe.

At 5'11", 179, Joe is small but quick with a strong throwing arm. Teaff is putting a lot of stock in Joe's ability.

"For this team that is so young at so many positions to be competitive, J.J. has to have his best season ever," Teaff said.

Joe will have many weapons to utilize this season, namely junior tailback David Mims and senior receiver Melvin Bonner.

Mims had over 1,000 all-purpose yards last season, and has a shot this season at becoming Baylor's number two all-time career rusher.

Bonner averaged 24.6 yards a catch last season for 836 yards, including a 77-yard reception against Houston.

The supporting cast will include junior fullbacks John Henry and Robert Strait, who combined for over 1,000 yards rushing last season, and senior receiver Reggie Miller, who had an excellent spring.

The Bears' biggest question mark on offense will be the previously-mentioned inexperienced line. However, Teaff remains optimistic. "We lack experience and size, but that will come," Teaff said. "This is the youngest offensive line we've had since the group that just finished came in, but I believe this group is as talented as any we've started with."

That, as well as Baylor's shot at a conference title, remains to be seen.

'92 SWC TOUR

PURPLE FROGS HOPE TO LEAP WITH NEW COACH SULLIVAN

By Keith Rollins

After last year's respectable 7-4 season, the Horned Frogs of Texas Christian are looking to make another forward leap behind rookie head coach Pat Sullivan.

With oft-injured quarterback Leon Clay back at the helm and 16 starters returning, that possibility should be easily attainable.

The frogs schedule, besides the regular conference games, makes that notion seem even easier.

Their only real test will be against last year's co-national champion powerhouse -- the Miami Hurricanes.

The offense, as long as Clay stays healthy, appears especially lethal.

The receiving corps include proven hands like Stephen Shipley, Richard Woodley, Kyle McPherson and highly-thought-of tight end, Mike Noack.

Running back veterans Curtis Modkins and Derrick Cullors are also back for another campaign. Those two backs combined for 1,001 rushing yards, another 400 yards in receiving, in 1991.

The offensive line is suspect as is the kicking game.

On the other side of the ball, the defense will need improvement. After losing last year's all-league defensive-end Roosevelt Collins, his counter-part, Tunji Bolden, will be the main anchor on the defense. Besides him, it looks bleak.

The linebacking corps are in the same position. Looking past senior Brad Smith in the middle and up-and-coming sophomore Mike Moulton on the strong side, much of the responsibility falls on the shoulders of incoming freshmen. Not a good sign for Sullivan.

A good sign, however, is the Frog's secondary, which may be the most stable part of the whole team.

Veterans Tony Rand, Greg Evans, Anthony Hickman and Rico Wesley pride themselves as collision specialists.

Overall, Sullivan believes it is imperative to become bigger and stronger up front, on both sides of the ball.

As long as Clay stays healthy and the defense makes spectacular strides before facing a team with some promise, which isn't until their forth game against Oklahoma State, TCU has some promise.

By the way, Sullivan's first order of business after arriving in Frogland was to switch from artificial turf, used in the stadium, back to real grass -- the first school in the league to do so. I guess Sullivan thinks frogs can jump farther on natural surfaces.

'92 SWC TOUR

MACKOVIC PROMISES RESPECT TO "BURNT ORANGE COALITION"

by Keith Rollins

Daily Cougar

After last year's sub-par 5-6 record, the Texas Longhorns needed a change.

Boom! David McWilliams out, John Mackovic in. There are definitely changes taking place in Bevo country to bolster the burnt orange back to national status again.

Hiring Mackovic was a indeed a plus. He ushers in a winning tradition, professionalism and a pro-style offense that utilizes the pass as much as the run.

Incumbent starter Peter Gardere, who Mackovic personally endorsed as his QB this year, along with the rest of the offense will still be learning the system in the first few games forcing the defense to contribute early, something the Texas "D" is used to.

But this is the puzzling part. If defense wins games, like so many have said, how come the Longhorns, who finished third in the nation defensively last year, still had such a poor winning percentage?

It's in your hands Macky.

The defensive line has been decimated, losing starters James Patton, Tommy Jeter and Shane Dronett. Lone '92 starter end, Bo Robinson will lead backup protectors James Lane, Tom Hunt and Todd Yeaman into their new starting roles.

The line-backing corps also needed revamping after losing key players last year. Veteran Anthony Curl, who has started every game for three years and was a consensus All-SWC selection last fall, is the only mainstay left on the squad. Winfred Tubbs will stand in the middle and Robert Reed will take the strongside responsibilities.

The secondary is the real deal when it comes to the Longhorn defense. Lance Gunn, who has been seen on many pre-season all American teams, Grady Cavness, and Willie Mack Garza make up the attack unit that led the league in passing efficiency defense last year. This year, they will only get better.

The QB position has had national attention since freshman Shea Morenz threw his hat into the media ring by rejecting the Toronto Blue Jays in order to play football for the Longhorns. Reportedly, Morenz turned down a $1 million signing bonus. Mackovic is set on his senior starter, though Gardere and Morenz will be the top backup. Last year's chief second-teamer, Jimmy Saxton, took the demotion and moved to the safety position.

"Quarterback position very definitely revolves around the growth and development of Peter Gardere (a 6'0", 189-pound senior)," Mackovic said. "Peter has had some great games here in the past and has shown the ability to make big plays."

The Mack Attack will also have to contend with the loss of Butch Hadnot. He officially lost his running back position when he was declared academically ineligible last week by the university. The Walkers, Rodrick and Adrian, are the answer to Texas' running woes. These two combined for 581 yards last season and Junior Phil Brown gained 420 yards.

The offensive line, the cornerstone of Texas football for so long, is lacking this year. Besides three returning seniors, the line will be sprinkled with promising redshirt freshmen and last years' backups.

The tight end position is sewn up by the impressive play of fifth year starter Jason Burleson. Darrick Duke and Kenny Neal, the starting receivers from a year ago, will both be back in '92.

COUGARS DON'T MAKE NFL CUT

Several NFL teams drew Cougar Red blood by cutting former draft picks out of Houston from their squads Monday enabling them to reach the NFL-mandated 47-man limit.

Being cut, most notably, was Chuck Weatherspoon from the Dallas Cowboys, Manny Hazard from the Houston Oilers and Johnny Jackson from the San Francisco 49ers (Jackson has since been taken back by SF). All three had shown well in camp and it looked like each was going to make their respective teams. "Spoon" was drafted by the Philadelphia Eagles in 1990 and Hazard was a free agent for the Phoenix Cardinals that same year.

Similarly, Craig Veasey, picked by the Pittsburgh Steelers that same year, also caught the axe.

From this year's picks, only three have made their respective teams. David Klingler, who recently signed a 4-year deal worth $1.75 million a year, and former superback Ostell Miles made the Cincinnati Bengals squad as did linebacker Glenn Cadrez with the New York Jets.

Not so lucky were wide receiver John Brown III, who lost his bid to become a New York Giant, and New Orleans draftee OL Mike Gisler, who also was dropped from the roster.

ALCOHOL VENDORS HELD MORE LIABLE FOR PATRONS

by Jenny Silverman

When it comes to drinking establishments, it sometimes appears as if the law tries to protect the vendor more than the consumer. "There are guidelines that have been set to protect the consumer," said TABC agent Craig Fisher and added, "An establishment must knowingly serve alcohol to a drunk person or to a minor three times in one year to have their license suspended."

The Texas Alcohol and Beverage Commission (TABC) operates vendor-server schools which teach bar and restaurant owners how to identify false identifications, as well as the steps necessary to deter an already-drunk customer from drinking more. Those days of protection, however, are waning.

Even though the TABC tries to regulate the consumption of alcohol, it is difficult to keep an eye on things all of the time. The owner is also responsible for what occurs after the customer leaves the establishment.

If a person leaves a vendor drunk and gets in a car accident, the owner can be sued under The Dram Shop Act.

Terry Bridges, the Area Coordinator for Cougar Place, said, "In the five years I've been working as Area Coordinator, I can't recall anyone filing suit."

Sandy Coltharpe, assistant director of Residential Life for UH, avoids the problem completely. She said she sees no reason to have alcohol in the dorms, as most dorm residents are under-age.

When the school does host a party, they use the ARA food service, which provides the alcohol. The university relieves itself of liability in this way. It is up to ARA to follow TABC guidelines to protect themselves.

BRIEFS

Orchestra conductor chosen

The UH School of Music has appointed internationally acclaimed conductor Franz Anton Krager, the UH Symphony Orchestra conductor for Fall 1992. Krager's experience includes conducting the Symphony Orchestra of Berlin and winning the first prize at the Copenhagen Youth Festival Competition for his work, Proclamation .

Speed-learn foreign language

The UH Division of Continuing Education will offer a demonstration class on techniques in acquiring knowledge of a second language in 96 hours or less at the UH Hilton on Sept. 9 at 6 p.m.

UH student snags Foley's prize

Foley's has awarded its newly established minority scholarship to UH student Arlene White-Brisco, who is working on her masters in Business Administration in finance and intends to become an independent investment banker, specializing in assisting minority businesses.

Mega firm snatches UH grad

UH graduate Charles C. Ward has joined the nation's eighth-largest public accounting firm, Kenneth Leventhal & Co. Ward completed his undergraduate studies in accounting at UH in 1987.

Cougars' roars to throttle Texas

UH Cougar football games will be broadcast on radio stations across Texas beginning with the season opener on Sept. 5 in Tulsa. Areas carrying the Cougar broadcasts include stations in Galveston, San Antonio, Beaumont, Liberty and Livingston.

Humanitarians to be honored

The UH Friends of the School of Music will hold a luncheon honoring four Houstonians for their outstanding contributions to the community, at the River Oaks Country Club Sept. 29 at 11:30 a.m. Proceeds will go to the Immanuel and Helen Olshan Texas Music Festival, sponsored by UH each summer.

UH prof says "Yes" to award

UH psychology professor Richard Evans was recently awarded the American Psychological Association's annual award for the "Most Outstanding Contributions to Health Psychology." Evans is best known for his slogan, "Just Say No", to drugs and efforts in teaching teenagers skills to resist pressure from peers to engage in life-threatening behaviors.

New title established for dean

Dean of Students Willie Munson will take on additional duties as assistant vice-president for Student Development, a newly created title.

Munson said the title was created in recognition of some of the additional responsibilities he took on in recent years, which include his efforts to promote student development programs such as the growing mentor program and student orientation.

Under his new title, Munson will receive a 5 percent increase in his current salary of $60,755.