UH STUDENTS PARTY IT UP AT THE PARK

by Claudia Gutierrez

The Second Annual Cougar Kick-Off held Wednesday benefitting Stone Soup and Operation School Supply kicked off with a pep rally.

Live bands, as well as local favorites Trish and Darin, were featured. When the feature acts took a break, recorded Beatles played in the background for all those Fab Four maniacs.

Coach John Jenkins took the stage to introduce this year's football players. Later, UH President Pickering, gave out encouragement and pep talk to boost more school spirit. The Cougar band, Cougar Dolls and cheerleaders were there to keep the school spirit alive.

But there seems to be a lack of school spirit, according to Ray Robba, a senior finance major. "The university needs more school spirit. The pep rallies should be held before every game," he said.

There was an attendance of approximately 400 people at any given time during the event.

Some booths gave out free brochures for the AIDS Foundation for Life.

The kick-off gave out free soft drinks, 50-cent draft, and inexpensive food, such as Grandy's chicken and Pizza Hut pizza. Most students took advantage of the inexpensive food including hot dogs and hamburgers.

A rivalry between two local radio stations, KMJQ Majic 102 FM and KBXX 97.9 FM, ended with one station packing up and heading for home.

"Student Program Board sponsors decided on staying with 97.9 FM because they have helped more with community service," stated SPB member junior George Chen. Majic 102 could not be reached for comment.

The kick-off was sponsored by the Interfraternity Council, the Council of Ethnic Organizations, the Residence Halls Association, UH Athletic Department, UH Alumni Organization, National Pan-Hellenic Council, Metropolitan Volunteer Program and SPB.

*******************************************************

TWO-LEGGED LIZARDS FOUND AT TOWERS; OFFICIALS READY TO REMEDY PROBLEM

Makeshift paper curtains and cardboard closets are not the epitome of dorm living. However, for some of Moody Tower's residences it will have to do.

Though the Towers has redefined living out of a suitcase, its "lounge lizards" residents are not complaining.

"I don't mind," said junior percussion performance major Terreon Gully s. "I'm just happy I got a place to stay."

Some residents like their temporary accommodations so much they would be content staying put.

"If they let me stay here, I'll make my own curtains," said Christopher Irwin, a 20-year-old electrical engineering major who lives in the north tower's seventh floor lounge. "I'm gonna be mad if they move me next week because I already set my stuff up."

Regardless of criticisms if a student pays for a room, a student should get a room, the situation is quite the contrary.

Students who live in the lounges chose to do so and receive the same services as those in regular dorm rooms, including housekeeping.

"The students knew up front that they would be in the lounges," said Sandy Coltharp, assistant director of Residential Life and Housing.

The process of placing students in one of the towers' 1,100 rooms is sort of a guessing game. The housing department anticipates some students who signed housing agreements will not be staying there.

"Some students don't get accepted to UH and have to go to another school, so they can't receive housing," Coltharp said. "Other students simply change their minds about accepting housing or are no-shows."

The housing hopefuls are made aware of the possibility of not getting a room and are put on an overflow list which will place them as soon as it is available.

However, the outlook this year is positive. Last year, the towers had an excess of 100 students living in the lounges, said Jackie Mitchell, assistant director of Housing Services.

Some students remained in lounges for the entirety of the semester, Coltharp said. "Learning from our hard-knocks, we did not want to put that many people in overflow."

This year there are only 29 students in overflow and all are expected to be placed within the next few weeks.

MAC DONALDS THROWS OPEN DOORS TO PROMISING FUTURE

by Claudia Gutierrez

The McDonald's near the corner of Elgin and Cullen is anticipating its grand opening sometime towards the end of the month.

The restaurant will be what franchise holder John Tillman calls a "high-tech contemporary restaurant." The interior design will include neon lights, mirrored columns and fiber optics.

The McDonald's will be "very adult oriented," Tillman's wife Marcia said. "I'm very excited of the possibility of bringing something to Houston."

The restaurant will be a gathering place for students.

"It's not just a place for people to eat, but also a place to have fun and enjoy yourself," said Manager Charles Chaney. "The place will be out of this world and into the future. We are hoping to meet our expectations as well as our customers' expectations."

A few of the special features Tillman is planning are what he calls "the Copier-Computer room."

This room will give UH students the opportunity to grab a sandwich and sit down at an IBM or an Apple computer and work on unfinished term paper or a place for a group of students to sit around and have a club meeting, Tillman said.

"It will contain four computers and three copy machines," said Tillman, who is also a UH graduate. "As a student, this is something I missed."

Another feature will include a game room which will contain approximately seven to nine of the most popular games such as "Street Fighter," Tillman said. It will be a place for "students to blow off some stress."

The restaurant will be the first in Houston to introduce "McPizza" to students.

The idea of introducing "McPizza" had been suggested and tested for a period of time, Tillman said. Other meal selections include student value meals, hot wings, salads and sundaes.

"The new McDonald's will be the first of its kind," said Steve Swanson, Representative of McDonald's Corp.

ATHLETE FLOORS OFFICER AT TOWERS SKIRMISH

by Florian Raqueno Ho

What was initially reported as a disturbance call resulted in two serious injuries and the arrest of an ex-UH football player for aggravated assault on a peace officer.

It begun when a confrontation between individuals and two men in a jeep erupted into a chaotic situation in front of Moody Towers early Sunday morning.

A small crowd gathered in front of the Towers and some bystanders approached the jeep and "began throwing punches and verbal abuses. When the driver began to drive away, a person allegedly jumped onto the vehicle to continue to hit the passenger. Weapons were possibly used," UHPD Lt. Brad Wigtil said.

The driver and the person who jumped onto the vehicle were ejected from jeep and sustained serious injuries when they struck a telephone pole on Scott Street.

The passenger left the scene before police arrived.

The group in front of the Towers was "emotionally distraught", and additional units had to be called in to calm people down, Wigtil said.

Officer Debra Rivera was elbowed in her chest by Patrick Cooper, who's on the Houston Cougars. "When she turned around, Cooper saw she was in full uniform and still struck her in the face," said Wigtil.

Other officers saw Rivera kneeling on the ground but failed to make an arrest because the offense could not be confirmed until later that morning.

Rivera was rushed to Hermann hospital and was released later Sunday.

Cooper was not the only football player UHPD had to deal with early Sunday morning. In a separate incident, which occurred in an on-campus parking lot, Zachary Chatman was arrested and charged with possession of a firearm on university property. He is currently out on bond.

Cooper was arrested at his home early yesterday morning. Cooper faces third-degree felony charges, which are punishable by a fine not to exceed $10,000 and/or a prison term of two to 10 years.

The names of those injured in the jeep have not been released due to on-going investigation.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ENTERTAIN ME

A weekend calendar of local events

Thursday 9/3

"College of Business Back-to-School-Bash"

-5:30 to 8:30 p.m. behind Melcher Hall.

-Open to all students. Donations of school supplies for needy children will be greatly appreciated. A donation will automatically enter student in a raffle. Raffle prize is a $200 gift certificate from the UH bookstore.

"Intrafaternity Council Rush Information Session"

4 p.m. at The Cougar Den

-Those men interested in joining a fraternity should plan to attend the session.

"Volleyball UH vs. Hawaii"

-7:00 p.m. in Honolulu HI

-Sports Information 743-9404

Friday 9/4

"Student Organization Registration"

-3:00 p.m. at the Campus Activities Large Conference Room

-Student organizations which have not yet registered for the 1992-1993 academic year must attend a registration orientation (others will be held later in the year). All students interested in starting a new organization should attend.

"Volleyball: UH vs. UCLA"

-5:00p.m. in Honolulu HI

-Sports Information 743-9404

Saturday 9/5

"Volleyball: UH vs. Illinois"

-5:00p.m. in Honolulu HI

-Sports Information 743-9404

"Football: UH vs. Tulsa"

-6:00p.m. in Tulsa OK

Sports Information 743-9404

Ongoing

UH's official discount card, The Cougar Card, will be available free of charge in Campus Activities and the Student Association office.

The Student Program Board consists of nine diverse committees each headed by a chair-person and comprised of university students. All UH students are invited to become an SPB member.

To become a member, visit the SPB office located in room N-23 in the U.C. underground and fill out an application.

REMBRANTS MOVE OUT OF THE GARAGE AND ON TO THE CHARTS

by Jeff Balke

After 18 months on the road, playing for thousands of people and receiving heavy airplay on top 40 radio, the Rembrants are still a garage band.

The new album, "Untitled," like the first album, was recorded mostly in the garage of guitarist and co-founding member, Danny Wilde.

"It (the album) was done in my garage, (guitarist and other co-founding member) Phil (Solem's) basement and (drummer) Pat (Mastoletto's) house," Wilde said.

Although the album was not recorded in a big studio with a large budget and a big-name producer, the production quality on "Untitled" is high, but it doesn't lose the feel or impact a self-produced effort has.

"We hope the album has that home-grown, demo-like feel to it," Wilde said.

Wilde and Solem are the backbone of the Rembrants. Sharing writing, production and engineering duties, as well as playing the bulk of the instruments on both albums, gives them the musical control they both prefer.

"We're really perfectionists. It is about what Phil and I want, not what anyone else wants," Wilde said.

"Our manager felt so strongly about us producing, he had it put in our contract that we'd produce ourselves through the duration of the contract," Wilde said. "He thought it was part of the charm of the Rembrants."

Wilde and Solem share a long history together. They played together in the late 70's in a pop combo called Great Buildings.

Since then, Wilde has had a relatively successful career in L.A., recording three solo albums (one for Island and two for Geffen) and writing numerous songs covered by the likes of Robert Palmer, Patty Smyth and Charlie Sexton.

Solem, who has lived in Minneapolis since the break-up of Great Buildings, continued to pursue a solo career and was near signing major record deals several times.

Living in different parts of the country didn't stop the two from collaborating, however.

"Phil and I would always have to get together and have a Phil and Danny fix about once a year and we'd get together and write songs," Wilde said.

"He'd work on my solo albums and I'd produce demos for him. Mainly, we've been really good friends for fifteen years," Wilde added.

Their closeness is apparent in the songs they create and the tightness of their harmonies.

"The harmonies are our trademark; the one thread of continuity in our songs," Wilde said.

Such harmonies and the co-writing credits of Wilde and Solem have made them an obvious target for comparisons to bands like the Beatles and the Everly Brothers, but Wilde is quick to defend what they do.

"People tend to clump us in with the obvious thing, but you are what you eat. Really, we wanted this album to sound like (David Bowie's) Ziggy Stardust, production-wise," Wilde said.

The new album will be released on Sept. 15 and the cello-driven single, "Johnny Have you Seen Her?" has already been receiving airplay.

Unlike past songwriting duos, the pair intend to maintain their friendship in spite of their steadily increasing fame.

"It's not the Lennon/McCartney competition that fires the proverbial motor of the Rembrants," Wilde said.

In fact, Wilde is adamant that he and Solem put their friendship first.

"We decided a long time ago, that if the Rembrants ever got in the way of our friendship, we'd quit," Wilde said.

LENNON LORE EXPLORED AT MUSEUM OF FINE ARTS

By Rebecca McPhail

During a weekend of full-blown arena shows (Guns and Roses) and travelling musical circuses (Lollapalooza), the Museum of Fine Arts will play host to a quieter form of idolatry.

The Hours and Times, a film centering on John Lennon and early Beatles' manager, Brian Epstein, is a dark and engaging look at the troubled relationship between the two men.

Distilling the pair's relationship to its very essence, the film spans only a four-day holiday the duo spent in Barcelona in 1963. Yet these four days marked a pivotal juncture in both men's' lives.

Lennon, married and a recent first-time father, was poised, along with the other three Beatles, on the brink of international superstardom.

Epstein, too, had reached a critical moment in his life. After finally accepting his own homosexuality he was ready to move beyond nameless bathroom encounters and enter into a monogamous homosexual relationship.

Unfortunately, the object of Epstein's desire was none other than Lennon.

The film, directed in 1991 by Christopher Munch, revolves around Epstein's intense and, ultimately, unrequited love for the man who was to become one of the biggest stars the world of pop music has ever known.

Short, concise and sharp as a knife, Munch's black and white film relies on what is not said nearly as much as the words that are spoken.

Ian Hart's portrayal of Lennon is a quirky mixture of intellectual torment, working-class lewdness and sheer arrogant bravado. While David Angus' Epstein is an upper-class aristocrat whose perfect manners only serve to punctuate his intense sadness.

Hours and Times is a last moment of innocence captured in a grainy black and white photograph.

The scene is brought sharply into focus by a promise Epstein extracts from Lennon while sitting on a bench along a Barcelona street.

The pair agree to meet in the same spot ten years in the future.

Life, however, has a funny way of changing directions unexpectedly.

By 1973, Brian Epstein was dead, the Beatles had broken up, the bench remained empty and the world was forever changed.

MUSICIANS ON FILM: PHOTOGRAPHER CAPTURES ARTISTS IN BLACK AND WHITE

When trumpeter Miles Davis exhaled for the last time, he probably died knowing many jazz aficionados would spend time reflecting on his contribution.

His legacy also touched not only the discerning listener, but photographer Jonathan Garrett. Eight of Garrett's 70 photographs feature Davis in an exhibit at the Barnes-Blackman Galleries as part of a one-man show entitled "Brio!" The galleries are housed on the first story of a red-brick building located at 1501 Elgin.

The image of Davis playing his trumpet greets patrons as they enter the white wooden framed door sill of the gallery.

The main room of the gallery is utilized as a space to showcase 18 of Garrett's black and white photographs of musical artists whose diversity is borne out of such musical genres as jazz, rhythm and blues, rock, blues, reggae, world beat and pop.

Whether the task requires capturing the explosiveness of a percussionist or the discipline of a saxophonist, Garrett embraces the challenge.

"I try to capture on film that moment during the performance that speaks of the artists' persona, their love of performing for their fans and their love of music," wrote Garrett in his statement to patrons.

When songstylist Nancy Wilson performed a concert in December 1, 1990 at Rockefeller's, Garrett's camera captured the memorable moments in her performance.

In one of his photographs of Wilson, her eyes are closed, suggesting a contemplative mood. The close-up captures the class, impeccable fashion taste and the extended love affair she has had with the microphone -- the cord of which is entangled with her hands, suggesting she is lost in the story of a song.

Other photographs of note feature The Melody Makers creating the spicy rhythms of reggae, the playfulness of blues singer Etta James, Patti LaBelle's buoyant personality and bombastic style and a focused, energetic Phil Collins.

Also included among the works is a portrait of late guitarist Stevie Ray Vaughan, who died in a helicopter crash. Vaughan is captured wearing a Coptic cross, cowboy hat, one earring and a floral print vest as he focuses on the music emanating from his worn Fender guitar.

Garrett, who works as a photographer for Reuters (an international news service) and owns a photography firm, is at his best when he places emphasis on lighting, contrast, color and defining moments.

Other artists featured in the exhibit, which runs until September 29, are U2's Bono, B.B. King, Anita Baker, Wynton Marsalis, Ladysmith Black Mambazo and Joe Cocker.

RTV CLASS HELPS UH STUDENTS PREPARE FOR LIFE IN TELEVISION

by Rhonda Smith

Media Performance, RTV 3365, taught by Dr. William Hawes, is one of the more unique classes offered by the School of Communications. It gives students a chance to appear on Channel 8 studio and work in the studio.

The class is designed to prepare students for on-air media appearances, with its main emphasis on television.

"Years ago the class used to be for those people who were really interested in being on camera, in recent years, the class has included those people but also others who realize that they may appear on camera sporadically," said Hawes.

The class is only offered in the Fall with a maximum enrollment previously has been 18 students.

For the first time in the 26 year history of the class Hawes began last Monday's media performance class with the announcement that he had to cut the class down to a mere 12 people. The reason is due to a general decrease in lab time offered by Channel 8, said Hawes.

Hawes picked 12 people out of the 21 people who showed up for Monday's class by their Classification, major and weather or not they were registered. His goal was also to get a good balance of gender, race and nationality.

Keith Rollins, a RTV and journalism senior, did not get the class through priority registration but is one of the two people that Hawes picked to be in the class without being registered in it.

"I think that I got justified by getting the class through an instructor that understands the inconsistences of the scheduling at the university," Rollins said.

The class will work with producing and directing classes every Saturday at the Channel 8 studio to make four programs entitled Video Workshop . "The performers are the content people and the directors are the behind the camera people," said Hawes.

Channel 8 will air the programs either in late December or sometime in 1993.

During the first part of the course the students work on non-video sessions called dry runs to practice for the actual taping. Attention will be focused on appearance, voice and movement. For the past few years Charlie's Productions Hair Designs and Boutique has helped the student.

Toward the end of the semester the students will view their shows and evaluate each others performance.

Hawes will also interview each student one on one to talk about their future potential.

Refering to future rolls in media, Hawes explains, "Anyone who has the good fortune of being on TV even for a short time like three to five years gain so much recognition in whatever community this person appears."