UH ADMINISTRATIONS IN PHASE OF RESTRUCTURING\

by Meagan McGovern

"Higher education is having real problems today," in terms of funding, said UH President James Pickering and the current struggle to develop a restructuring plan for UH is a prime example.

Pickering said because of state budget problems, public higher education would bear the brunt of the anticipated shortfall in the next legislative session.

"We know that the UH budget is one of the only places that legislators have any flexibility in funding," he said.

In response, the current campus-wide restructuring intends to head off those budget cuts .

Even a year-long series of preparations won't entirely prevent cuts if the UH budget is cut severely, he said. "Our budget is so heavily tipped toward personnel that we would have a terrible time with a 10 percent budget cut."

Pickering said we would have to strive to keep people in academics, not only because that area is the focus of the university, but also "that's where our money is. If we cut professors, we cut classes, which cuts students, which cuts funding. It turns into a downward spiral."

But, he said, if UH had to take a 10 percent cut, "you're talking about personnel cuts."

He said rising tuition is becoming common. "It's part of a trend started during the Reagan-Bush years where cost gets passed on to users."

Although UH is planning ahead for budget cuts, Pickering said it's hard to decide what steps to take.

It's hard to predict the legislature's moves and because of the uncertainty, "we spend the spring and summer quaking in response to rumors," he said.

"If we act, the rumors tend to be overplayed, and we've wasted time and energy reacting to something that's not going to happen. If we don't react, though, that's when we get blindsided,"he said.

Students are important to the planning process, he said. "One thing we have to do is build a sense of community," so the university as a whole can decide on a plan of action, he said. He added, "We want students to bitch and gripe," so the administration can find out what the concerns are.

The University Planning and Policy Council, made up of faculty, staff, administrators and students, oversees the restructuring of UH.

The group met Monday to begin the semester and elected Steve Huber, of the UH Law Center, chairman.

The group will meet in two weeks to hear a summary of student needs and assessments in the restructuring process.

Elwyn Lee, Vice President for Student Affairs, will make the presentation along with the Students' Association. Lee said they would "describe and inform about the way in which issues will be discussed."

At the meeting of the UPPC, UH System Chancellor Alexander Schilt said the restructuring of the university would be easier because of Pickering's recruitment job.

During the period of the '80s, people in leadership positions in Houston wondered about UH and thought "we (UH) will never get our act together," he said.

Some thought UH should become part of the A&M system, as "one piece of their constellation," said Schilt. He said Pickering has turned the Houston leader's opinion around.

*******************************************************

BUDGET AND TIME CONSTRAINTS SQUELCH DECEMBER CEREMONY

by Florian Ho

Time and money are reasons many UH students who graduate in December do so without the benefit of a ceremony.

The most critical issue concerns finals being held late in the year, which makes it difficult to check grades, Wendy Adair, associate vice president for university relations, said.

Christmas holidays also play a factor in the timeliness of the event. Spring graduates are not faced with a long vacation immediately after their finals thus giving the university more time to do grade verifications.

In order to have a ceremony, "UH would have to revamp the whole academic calender," Jacqueline Boulavsky, director of special events, said.

Including the speaker, a graduation ceremony can run about $25,000-$30,000, Adair said. The cost, along with the projected low attendance due to when a December graduation could be held, would not be beneficial to a budget-conscious university. "We are barely able to pay for the one in May," Boulavsky said.

One college that does believe students who graduate in December are entitled to have a ceremony is the college of pharmacy, which holds an official December ceremony, with the college paying for it.

"For the past couple of years, students have petitioned to have a ceremony held in their honor. The students have worked real hard, and they want it," Charles Henry, business manager of the college of pharmacy, said.

About 95 percent of the students participate in the formal ceremony, where they have their actual diploma handed to them. The class size determines where the ceremonies will be held. "We held graduation in the Wortham Theatre last December, and it was pretty full," Henry said.

The college follows the same schedule as the university. This year, their December graduation ceremony is scheduled for Saturday, December 19.

Students have inquired why the university does not have December graduations, but there has not been an abundant amount of requests, Adair said.

TECHNOLOGY STUDENTS DECK ADMINISTRATIVE BUDGET CRUNCH WITH VOLUNTEER EFFORT

by Katherine Bui

The School of Technology's students banded together Sept. 3 to reconstruct their second of three decks between the faculty and student Technology buildings.

The decks were built in 1977 with redwood and aluminum nails which had since been rotted by termites and water. The lower beams no longer supported the deck and were not attached to the main beams. The structures' boards were rotting, loose and missing in certain areas.

When the Student Council of Technology first approached Dean of Technology Bernard McIntyre, he commented that the falling deck was a liability waiting to happen.

The entire structure was completely removed with the exception of the concrete piers beneath the deck. Pressure-treated yellow pine, chemically treated to prevent insects, replaced redwood, and 5-inch-high steps were raised to 7. 5 inches. The original vertical planks parallel to the building were slightly turned diagonal. One inch was left around the trees for future growth.

Steve Brindley, president of Students in Construction Related Industries, said, "The hardest part was making those 60-degree cuts to retain the deck's original hexagon shape. Overall, the new deck should appear the same as the old one, except that it will look better."

The effort was organized by the Student Council of Technology, which included the Students in Construction Related Industries (SCRI); the Students in Industrial Distribution Organization (SIDO); and the Institute of Electrical Electronic Engineering (IEEE).

The construction was lead by Steve Brindley and included nine other volunteers from SCRI, SIDO and IEEE (Lisa Blonshire, Lindsay Davis, Shawn Schoelman, Andy Ervin, Jim Pratt, Deel Zseslinski, Mike Biegel, Richard Akin, and Eric Wettersroem).

"We're doing this out of the goodness of our hearts to help the School (of Technology) overcome some of its budget crunch," Brinkley said. "The College of Technology has given us so much that we want to give something back."

Mike Beagel, a member of SCRI, said, "This gives us some good experience with working together and allows us to do something for the school."

"I went out here when we finished the first deck and saw at least 10 people already enjoying it," said Andy Ervin of SCRI.

The Student Council of Technology received $2,500 for the supplies through a combination of Technology's Alumni and the School of Technology. Dean of Technology Bernard McIntyre aided the effort by finding the supplier and approving the reconstruction. The faculty donated the use of safety glasses and a compressor. Steve Brinkley of SCRI supplied the equipment.

Richard Akin, the president of Technology's Student Council, summed up two reasons for the project: the reconstruction of the deck and getting the students together.

The faculty and staff had mixed reactions about the students' reconstruction but responded with positive approval of the effort.

Stanley King, a professor, said, "I think it's great that they are doing it. I'm glad they care for the school enough to put time into helping it look better. We should all remember that this is not just a commuter school."

"It's essential to keep the school in shape. The university should learn to utilize the students' services more often," said Associate Professor Robert Gadd.

Melinda Robinett, a teaching assistant, and Dory Tarrener, a student, approved the effort but believed that the deck would get more usage if benches could be put in for older students.

Bill Krukiel, president of SIDO, responded that wooden-top tables may be installed on the deck for those students who needed something to lean on.

The students completed the first deck Aug. 29 and foresaw a completion of the second deck on Sept. 4. The third deck will be under construction on Sept. 5.

SCRI hopes to be the first to officially utilize the deck for its annual membership drive on Sept. 12 called the "Breezeway Party."

PARKING-STARVED STUDENTS SEEK REFUGE AT RESTAURANT, FIND HUNGRY WRECKERS

Michica N. Guillory

The Burger King on Cullen is no longer doing it "Your Way. Right Away." They are doing it their way and in a big way.

Some UH students are parking their cars in the restaurant's lot because of a lack of campus parking spaces.

And Burger King isn't taking it anymore. Instead, they're towing the cars away.

Late Thursday morning, Burger King located at 2901 Cullen, had some UH students' cars towed from their parking lot.

"We towed cars in violation in our parking lot," said Carl Mose, Burger King district manager.

Burger King officials were unwilling to further comment on their actions and how they determined which cars were those of customers or of students in violation.

About 15 cars were towed by A&R Brake and then sent to Metro Auto Storage located on 1707 Leeland, said Dynelle Loid, a dispatcher for the towing company.

The cars will only be released with an initial cash payment of $83.24 which will increase by $16.24 with each passing day, said Randy Boatright, the storage garage manager.

"We are open 24 hours so they can get their cars anytime," Boatright said. "We don't accept checks or credit cards so they will have to come back if they don't have the money."

If, after a holding period of 75 days, the cars are not claimed they will be auctioned by the City of Houston, Boatright said.

Unbeknownst to some students, there is a parking lot next to the Burger King location, lot 17 D. However, there is no available access or crossover to the restaurant's lot.

"Students who parked in the Burger King lot chose to do so," said Gerald Hagan, manager of Parking and Transportation. "You have to come out of our lot to park in their's."

The UH lot is definitely marked as one of our lots, he said.

Despite student arguments of a lack of available parking space, there are plenty of places to park. Lots 8A, 9A and 9C for instance are usually not filled to capacity, Hagan said.

"We did a survey and lot 8A was completely empty the first day of classes," Hagan said.

Part of the reason is students want the closest spaces possible, but the lot behind KUHT-TV is slowly filling up.

"I would recommend under the circumstances they use UH facilities as much as they can," Hagan said. "They should deal with the consequences within the university; it's cheaper that way, too."

In response to the request for newer and closer parking, Hagan says a student survey reveals students are generally unwilling to pay an additional fee to build and keep a parking garage.

A garage would cost the university $600 per parking space with about 800 spaces. The cost would be passed on to students because the state does not pay for the construction or upkeep of campus parking, Hagan said.

CONGRESSIONAL CANDIDATE PAYS HEED TO NEEDS OF CONSTITUENCY

by Amey Mazurek

Edward Blum is really interested in what citizens in the 18th Congressional District have to say. He listens intently, visiting his constituents door-to-door up to six hours a day. He's also set the goal of making 100,000 phone calls by Election Day. Blum spoke to students at 4 p.m. in the Cascade Room of the UC today.

A public finance specialist for Paine Webber, Blum feels he is qualified to attract businesses to Houston based on his experience with both private-sector businesses and government.

He wants to prevent Houston from becoming a "shell," where people and businesses flee to the suburbs to avoid inner-city problems.

"The theme of my campaign," Blum said, "is 'Ed Blum and the 18th District: Open for Business.'"

"Business creates jobs -- government does not," Blum said. "If you leave here and drive around in a five mile radius, you'll see that many businesses are leaving to go to places like Fort Bend county," he said.

Blum vows to offer whatever it takes to attract new business to 18th district neighborhoods, which stretch all over the city from the 1960 area on the north side to Hobby on the south side and areas surrounding the Astrodome. It includes the Montrose area, where Blum lives with his family and all the wards, where he actively campaigns in the black and Hispanic communities.

"I want to call the chairman of Eastman Kodak and say, 'I hear you want to open in southeast Texas," he said. "What's it gonna take?"

He mentioned incentives like tax abatements, increased police patrols and the establishment of free-enterprise zones.

Personal safety is another common concern. "Mothers are worried about going to the grocery store in broad daylight. Husbands are worried about their kids going to school alone," he said.

He seeks to limit appeals and to make sure felons test drug-free and have appropriate job-seeking skills before they are released.

Although Blum was reluctant to run for office at first, support for his efforts have snowballed beyond his expectations.

He is also amazed his campaign has more financial support than Washington's. "We don't have enough money to buy a Pontiac," he said, "but we have more money than he does."

Since UH falls into the 18th District, Blum has a plan to make qualified high school students eligible for loans which can be paid back by either payroll deductions or community service.

As an example of community service, he proposed graduate students majoring in education help teach troubled students in overcrowded inner-city schools.

DRUG PROGRAM ILLICITS HELP OF PEERS TO PROMOTE EDUCATION

by Sherilyn Ishop

Student volunteers educating their fellow peers on the issue of drug abuse and prevention are the reason behind the Substance Abuse Training and Education Programs (STEPS) implemented by the office of Counseling and Testing.

UH has received funding from the U.S. Department of Education to develop a consortium of colleges and universities to initiate a "peer helper" organization.

"In the STEPS program, we aim to develop a peer-helper program where students can learn to help each other. The best way for students to learn drug prevention is from other students," said Gail Hudson, a coordinator for STEPS.

Student volunteers in the program are inducted as help advocates and peer educators, and they also conduct workshops on drug prevention.

Training offers the opportunity for students to cope with stress and handle conflicts, as well as develop communication skills.

Hudson encourages more students to participate in the program.

"There have been 20 students who have signed up so far, and we welcome more," Hudson said. "Our doors are open. We're not a treatment program, we are about education and prevention," she added.

STEPS will also offer workshops on how the effects of alcohol and drugs relate to such issues as HIV/AIDS, date rape, sexual assault, relationship patterns, identity and self-esteem.

The program's purpose is to promote wellness and healthy choices. This is provided through alternative events on campus and consultation on issues, concerns, policies or practices related to substance use.

STEPS serves as a referral agent for students, faculty and staff and offers seminars for the entire UH community.

The educational discussions are open invitations for students to gain more information about themselves and the choices that make an impact on their lives.

In October, a six-week-long educational discussion on issues of sexual health will be included in the STEPS program.

Any students interested in volunteering for the STEPS program should contact Amy Wortham in the STEPS office at 743-5455.

NAME CHANGE ATTRACTS MORE STUDENTS; EXPANDS SCOPE OF SERVICES OFFERED

by Melissa Neeley

Daily Cougar

Handicapped Student Services has changed its name to Center for Students with DisAbilities to attract and, subsequently, help a wider spectrum of students.

CSD now has more than 650 students who have requested help; Karen Waldman, director of CSD, said the name change is responsible for several people who have requested services for this semester.

"The biggest change is more students will feel comfortable using our services. Lots of people feel they may not have a handicap if they do not have a physical disability such as being blind or having to use a wheelchair," she said.

For example, students who suffer extreme anxiety attacks when taking tests may go to CSD and ask for extended time when taking an exam, she said.

Also, those students who are experiencing psychiatric problems and are on heavy dosages of medicine can also get help from CSD either through counseling or extending test-taking time, she said.

CSD also helps people with respiratory problems, learning disabilities, epilepsy, head injuries and heart problems, she said.

CSD has four full-time assistants and 25 part-time assistants to help students who may need help with the library, test taking, note copying, or registration and Add and Drop, she said.

"We try to make life a little easier, but we don't give people an unfair advantage. We don't assist people on tests; the whole goal is to make things fair and equal," Waldman said.

Students who have signed up at CDS feel the assistance they receive is far more important than the name change.

"The name change is no problem. It's a change in form and not substance. As long as Deedee (Heinson) and Barbara (Lenart) are around to take care of the physically handicapped students, the office will be run fine," Don Whitfield, a law student who goes to the center for testing purposes, said.

The passing of the American Disabilities Act gave civil rights protection over employment matters to disabled individuals. To a degree, the ADA, passed on July 26, 1992, played a part in the name change as well, Whitfield said.

"'Handicapped' or 'disabled' mean the same thing; they're just labels. The functions of the office are the important thing and that's what has stayed the same," Rodger Peters, a disabled student working on his graduate degree in biology, said.

Peters' degree requires him to do 90 percent of his research in the library. The faculty at CSD have helped him get information which would have been impossible for him to get off the shelves, he said.

After he decides he needs to do library research, Peters calls and makes an appointment with CSD for aid, he said. He has the call numbers ready for the assistant who can usually find everything Peters needs within an hour, he said.

Peters cast one of the deciding votes choosing the name for the center; many students were polled and a committee which included six students, Waldman, and Elwyn Lee, vice president for student affairs, finally decided upon the present name, he said.

Wayne Hubbard, a graphics art major, uses CSD to paste up his projects and to get the classes he needs through add and drop, he said.

"In my major, I have to get assistance from CSD to do a lot of cutting and pasting and other hands-on work for me because I can't physically do that myself. I do my art work and they paste it on for me on the illustration board I present to class," Hubbard, a junior, said.

Hubbard recalls when he had trouble with a professor because he could not maneuver around his classroom properly due to chairs nailed to the floor, he said. The professor told him there was nothing he could do to remedy the problem; Hubbard called Waldman and she promptly took care of the problem, he said.

DRAMA DEPARTMENT STAGES BUSY FALL SEASON

by Sally Pouncy

Daily Cougar

A horse is a horse of course, unless you just so happen to be a horse named Stryder.

The UH drama department hoofs it up on the large stage this fall season with an equestrian look at life's challenges in the Mark Rozovsky play <I>Stryder<P>. Based on a Leo Tolstoy story, it promises to be "a captivating show that ought to please everyone." Directed by Carolyn Boone, the show opens on Oct. 2 and runs on weekends through the 11th. Tickets are $6 for students, $7 for faculty and staff and $8 for general admission.

<I>The Grapes of Wrath<P> blows to campus on Nov. 13 through 22. Sidney Berger, chair of the drama department, is directing. The play, which John Steinbeck would never adapt for the theater, was brought to the stage by his widow and the Steppenwolf theater company in the late '80s.

The UH drama department has an extra treat for students this semester. Senior drama student Tom Vaughn has more to be excited about this fall than just trying to get back into the essence of school life. He has written and directed the very first show to be produced on the Wortham theater's small stage. It's called <I>Closed for Repairs<P> and stars UH students Dennis Turney, Randall Doerner, Amy Bruce and Shelley Wilson.

The play centers around the lives of a brother and sister who move from New York City to a small town in upstate New York to escape their individual problems.

Vaughn is positive about his UH debut and uses the words of Russian director Meyorhold to describe his play, "(It's) tragedy with a smile."

Vaughn has more to smile about than just his upcoming opening night. He had the honor of being one of the winners in the Texas Playwrights' Festival at Stages theater last June.

His play <I>Under a Wing<P> won and was produced by the professional theater during June.

<I>Closed for Repairs<P> is a free show that runs Sept. 11-13 so don't miss it or any of the other shows on campus this fall!

POWERHOUSE CAST WAKES UP PLOT OF FINE LINE'S LIGHT SLEEPER

by Gram Gemoets

Daily Cougar

Casting a film continues to be the most difficult task for Hollywood's producers, directors and writers. An "A" script, an "A" production team and an "A" budget means nothing without the right actors.

In an industry where lavish productions are usually centered on one major star, ensemble casts are a rarity. Too much time is spent on special effects while the acting is ignored. Special effects cannot carry a picture, but good acting does.

<i>Light Sleeper<p> (starring Willem Defoe, Susan Sarandon and Dana Delaney) boasts few special effects, but a powerhouse of acting talent.

Despite chic sets and clothing by Armani, Dafoe and Sarandon, not the sets, walk off with all the honors.

Dafoe stars as John LeTour, a 40-ish drug delivery boy for Ann (Sarandon), a suave, sophisticated New York-based drug dealer. The two make their living selling cocaine to an assortment of high-dollar European types.

However, neither is content. Ann dreams of giving up the drug trade and forming an exclusive cosmetics company befitting her glamorous image.

John seems to be less directed and is unsure what to do with himself after Ann quits dealing.

One rainy night, John runs into Marianne (Delany), his former girlfriend who has returned to New York to live in sobriety. Marianne quickly realizes John is dealing and not the type she should see on a regular basis.

However, John is convinced regaining her love would be the anchor he needs for the future.

His rekindled love does not convince him to quit selling the cocaine that insures his high-dollar lifestyle. Thus, the audience is lead from one discotheque to another, one lavish cafe to the next and through various well-appointed lofts and penthouses as John unloads his wares.

The plot thickens as Marianne commits suicide (a result of getting back on coke) and John must make a decision. With the police watching his every move, he is forced to become a stooly for the cops and all hell breaks loose.

<i>Sleeper<p> is just that, a sleeper. One of the few pictures this year one can miss without a recurring sense of guilt.

Although it would be enjoyable on video, the big screen adds to the esthetic experience of the director's work.

The only drawback is Sarandon's part is not larger. After a series of blue-collar roles (<i>White Palace<p> and <i>Thelma and Louise<p>), her character's sophistication is a refreshing change.

Dafoe, who recently signed a multi-picture deal with Columbia, will soon be a household name. This picture, with its dark perspective, however, will not be the vehicle to do it. Never fear, he's currently filming <i>Body of Evidence <p> with Madonna.

The other characters in <i>Sleeper<p> perform competently and Delaney is certainly a highlight. The film's ensemble casting has created a literal work of art.

SUITCASE THEATRE PACKS THE HOUSE; NEW GROUP HOLDS AUDITIONS

by Tiffany Rather

Prepare to pack your suitcases and join the theater.

The Houston Suitcase Theater (THST) is a new project on the UH campus to involve people in the interest of ethnic theater.

"Our purpose is just to promote ethnic theater and all racial cultural events," Tamara Conner, president of THST, said.

The project focuses on UH students of all races and their artistic works, Conner said.

Dr. Elizabeth Brown-Guillory, a UH English professor, is responsible for the existence of THST.

Brown-Guillory found several students had artistic ideas about their ethnic environment without any measures to express them.

THST was established so these students will have an avenue to do just that, Conner, a junior majoring in English, said.

The first production by THST will be <I>Just A Little Mark<P>, a two-act play written by Brown-Guillory.

<I>Just A Little Mark<P> is about a young female medical doctor who is under the care of a psychologist.

Her repressed feelings are making her emotionally disturbed and on the verge of thinking she's crazy.

Other characters of <I>Just A Little Mark<P> are an insane aunt, a hateful sister and a gentle grandfather.

THST will be holding auditions for the play Sept. 4 and 5 from 2 to 5 p.m., on the third floor of the Roy E. Cullen building.

The cast requires five black females and two black males for the production.

"Besides cast members, we needed a lot of labor, people who are willing to help with the set," Stephanie Barard, secretary of THST, said.

Brown-Guillory's new play is being aided in its production by a grant she has received from the Texas Committee of Humanities.

Conner is encouraging anybody who is interested in THST to join.

"We are basically a club. We have 53 members. We sponsor UH theater, raise funds for productions, publicize for plays and promote aspiring playwrights," Conner says.

RAMONES LAND A HEAVY BLOW; MONDO BIZZARRO LATES RELEASE

by Manuel Esparza

When the Ramones punched the music world in the face in 1976, people underestimated the size of the concussion it had sustained. The staid, stable industry wobbled off its axis into the eccentric orbit it now has.

The Ramones are credited for influencing more bands than any other American act. Fairly remarkable considering their first gig was attended by two people, the bartender and his dog. The dog loved it.

Eighteen years later, their concert attendance has improved. More importantly though, the music hasn't changed much. It's been those power chords and short riffs played at Mach speeds that make fans flock to see them live.

Mondo Bizzarro, their twelfth studio album, is just what a Ramones' album should be -- minus the patented beat count "1-2-3-4."

There has been some shifting in the band's line up. Founding bassist Dee Dee Ramone split. Replacing him is C.J. Ramone. Marky Ramone their second drummer is back after a short vacation.

Making appearances across the disc are Vernon Reid (Living Color), Joe McGinty (Psychedelic Furs) and Flo and Eddie (Turtles).

Mondo Bizzarro runs amuck on the musical countryside. Opening with a full broadside against the Washington Wives Who Have Nothing Better To Do. The song "Censorshit" has Joey Ramone telling Tipper Gore "Ah Tipper come on. Ain't you been getting it on?" Using the cut as a platform, it makes people more aware of just how easy it is to curtail their First Amendment rights.

The songs "The Job That Ate My Brain" and "Anxiety," co-written by Marky and Skinny Bones, brandish the Ramones trademark; chainsaw chords and hacking beat railing against the old nine-to-five grind and other banes of normalcy.

When people (read critics) say the Ramones are back to their roots, it's a silly statement, They never left them. Every album has their inimitable style. But just as wines from the same vintner have variations from season to season while retaining their distinctive character, so do Ramones albums.

COUGARS LOOK TO QUIET THE HURRICANE

by Jason Luther

No hype, no pre-season ranking, no Heisman Trophy candidates--just the Cougars at Tulsa.

It means nothing, right?

Wrong.

Houston's first game against Tulsa means alot for Coach John Jenkins and his Cougars.

This is a critical year for Jenkins and his Run-and-Shoot offense, as well as the Cougar defense.

The Run-and-Shoot is no longer a new concept and many astute coaches have proposed defenses which have adequately contained it.

Many coaches and programs that just a few years ago turned to pass-oriented offenses such as the Run-and-Shoot (TCU's "Triple Shoot for example), are now scrapping the pass attack in lieu of a strong running game.

The trend hasn't gone unnoticed by Jenkins.

"The rage going around in football is conservatism as far as the offenses," said Jenkins. "In our league, it's reverting back

completely to the run."

However, Jenkins' Cougars have been one of the more successful teams to run such a high-powered offense, and the Cogars' return to the veer is no where in sight.

At least not if Jenkins has anything to do with it.

This season Jenkins must prove that the Run-and Shoot can stand the test of time.

His first test against the Golden Hurricane Saturday in Tulsa will not be a cakewalk as was last season's opener against Louisiana Tech.

The 'Cane is coming off a 10-2 season, a Freedom Bowl victory and a final ranking of 21 in the two major post-season polls.

The two teams' last meeting in 1988 resulted in an 82-28 Cougar victory.

That was Hurricane Coach David Rader's first season as head skipper.

The situation is much different for Rader this year as all of the Hurricane players are the product of his recruiting efforts.

Rader will seek to off-set the Cougar Run-and-Shoot with a Multiple defensive scheme.

Rader was vague when asked about strategy, however he will undoubtably try to put more pressure on the quarterback than last time.

The 'Cane has a strong secondary with three of last season's starters returning, so Rader can probably afford to send more linebackers.

However, Jenkins will change looks at quarterback, rotating the speedy Donald Douglass and the strong-armed Jimmy Klingler.

Even with the Cougars' poor season last year, Rader said he will not take the potency of the Houston offense lightly.

"There are a whole lot of people I would rather open up against than Houston," Rader said.

"We tried to simulate the Run-and-Shoot as much as we could in practice but ther'e's no way you can make it look like what you're going to see in the game."

On offense, Tulsa will run the ball as much as Houston passes.

Last year's Freedom Bowl MVP, senior Ron Jackson, will be Tulsa's most serious offensive threat; and junior quarterback Gus Frerotte will seek to step into vacancy left by T.J. Rubley, Tulsa's all-time passing leader.

The game will be just the first chapter of Jenkins' challenge this season, but he will be looking to make his point early.

DEFENSES AIM AT 'FAST FREDDIE'

by Keith Rollins

Daily Cougar

Forget all the accolades and pre-season glory, Freddie Gilbert just wants a ring.

The 1991 NCAA pass receiving champion does care to a certain extent about his future as a professional football player, as anyone would, but he said he would rather sat on the bench and get a championship ring, then lead the nation again.

"I'll let the individual honors come with the team's success," Gilbert said. "Like my daddy always told me, the cream always rises to the top."

The talented Huntsville native averaged 9.6 catches per game last year and was the seventh player ever in NCAA history to eclipse over 100 catches in one season. The transfer from UCLA in 1990 joined the history book's elite catching crew with former Cougar receivers James Dixon, Jason Phillips and Manny Hazard.

This season, Gilbert has already been placed on the pre-season All-America team and all-SWC first team. The abundance of lime light has been taken professionally by the soft-spoken Gilbert.

"I don't let it effect me on the field; I'm all business, but it is nice to be on top and be known for it," Gilbert said.

This year, unlike his last season's relative anonymity, Gilbert ushers in a dangerous aura to opponent's playbook. The marked man knows he will be the target of many defensive head hunters.

"I know I will be double teamed early on in the season, but after my fellow receivers have their success, I will be freed up," Gilbert said.

The old man on the receiving line (Gilbert turned 23 yesterday) also will be looked to for leadership to a host of new hands on the team.

Gilbert also has the distinction of being Donald Douglas' favorite target. The two are very close on and off the field and have worked out together over the off-season.

After last year's superb performance, many Cougar followers thought Gilbert would be heading to the NFL a year earlier. However, Gilbert believed his education was more important than football and decided to for go the show.

"Don't get me wrong," Gilbert explained laughing, "I did think about it. This way I will be accomplishing two things at once.

NETTERS OPEN SEASON IN HAWAIIAN STYLE

By Heather Ellis

Daily Cougar

Blue Hawaiian skies will greet the Lady Cougars Volleyball team as they step off the plane this week in Honolulu.

The team will be in Hawaii this Labor Day weekend to begin their season against stiff competition at the Hawaii Invitational.

The Lady Coogs are going up against the defending NCAA Championship winners, the UCLA Bruins, as well as the Honolulu Rainbows, who were ranked third in pre-season play.

Finally, they must take on Illinois, who also participated in the NCAA tournament last year.

This tournament will not be a day at the beach for the Lady Cougars. But Coach Bill Walton is optimistic and eagerly anticipates the chance to play such nationally-regarded opposition.

"Playing such good teams so early will help us prepare for November and December much more than a weak schedule would," Walton told The Houston Post.

The Cougars are expected to make a serious bid in the Southwest Conference race this season with a team comprised of nine returning starters including all-SWC attacker Karina Faber.

Faber posted impressive statistics last season finishing first in the Southwest Conference in kills per game (4.1), second in blocks per game (1.3) and fourth in serving percentage (.356).

Junior attacker Ashley Mulkey, who also gained all-SWC notoriety last season, will also lend more than a helping hand in '92.

Other key returning players on the team this season are Janelle Harmonson, Julie James, Edwina Ammonds, Heide Sticksel and Amy Roberts. Completing the formidable ensemble are freshmen Stacey Craven and Natasha Wood.

With the combined talents of these volleyballers, there is no doubt the Lady Cougars will strive to better last year's 20-12 record.

Last season, the Lady Cougars advanced to the first round of the NCAA championship, but were defeated in a heart-breaking loss to Louisiana State.

However, the team's hopes are high, especially since there will be a tournament at the end of the season to determine who receives the automatic NCAA spot -- making it easier to reach the playoffs.

"It gives every team a chance to shoot for something all year besides just upsetting Texas (the Lady Longhorns are the '92 SWC favorites)," Walton told the Post.

For the first time since Southwest Conference play began in 1982, the Lady Longhorns are resting precariously on their burnt orange throne with the Cougars posing a serious threat in a possible coup d'etat.

Texas finished the 1991 season in first place in the Southwest Conference with 9-1 record and a 20-10 finish overall. The Longhorns will have to fill the holes left by all-SWC players Janine Gremmel, Nikki Busch and Annette Garza in order to continue their reign in the Southwest Conference.

The Lady Cougars will be back in the friendly confines of Hofheinz Pavillon Sept. 11 and 12 for the Houston Invitational against Arizona and Lamar.

Their Southwest Conference schedule begins on Sept. 23 against Rice. The game will be televised on HSE.

JENKINS SAYS DOUGLAS STARTS; KLINGER BACKS

by Keith Rollins

Daily Cougar

The pressure cooker is still on for Cougar quarterbacks. Both Donald Douglas and Jimmy Klingler are still in the hunt to become Houston's next decorated arm.

In an expected decision yesterday on his starting QB, Head Coach John Jenkins did pick his starter, but not necessarily his closer.

Douglas will start against the Tulsa Golden Hurricane on Saturday, but Klingler will enter the game at some point. The hottest arm, after that point, will stay in for the remaining part of the game.

"Basically, there will not be an "A" guy, but a two-quarterback system. Both guys have added different ingredients to the team," Jenkins said. "What I will do is start the game with Douglas and certainly by series will make appropriate decisions for the team along those lines."

"Hey, if the guy out there has a hot hand, I'm going to keep him out there. Otherwise, expect equal time."

Throughout the Cougar's spring camp, Jenkins has allotted equal time between his QB hopefuls -- Douglas, Klingler, junior college-transfer Klye Allen and backup Chandler Evans.

Douglas and Klingler emerged as the leaders and after Jenkin's decision, the QBs seemed ready to take their inner-competitive struggle head on.

"Deep down, I feel like I was the guy, so I feel like I'm the guy who should start," Douglas said.

On the other hand, Klingler said he was "looking forward to getting in and throwing a couple of bombs and seeing what happens."

Jenkins compared the quarterback race to the 1989 campaign. That year, David Dacus and Andre Ware split time and the top spot. It wasn't until the eight game of the season when Ware took the reins for good.

Good luck guys!

Cougar Clips...

Left defensive end starter Kevin Labay is back from an ankle injury and is looking tough in practice. Freshman Lawrence McPherson out of Kempner High has been very impressive and will see plenty of action against Tulsa. Freshman Thomas McGaughey has moved to the safety position due to the loss of key secondary players. He will enter this week's game after only two weeks of practice at that position. By the way, the last time Houston played Tulsa in 1988, the Coogs won 82-28.

TECH LOOKS TO 'RAID' CONFERENCE MAINSTAYS

by Keith Rollins

Daily Cougar

Texas Tech will again be attempting to "raid" the SWC race this season on the heels of last year's successful 6-5 record.

The Raiders enter the 1992 season with increasing confidence due to last year's sweet second half in which the Red Raiders won their last 5 out of 6 games and key letterman are returning for another campaign.

"We have a nice nucleus coming back from a team that finished pretty strong last year," Head Coach Spike Dykes said.

"We have a good chance to have a good team. We really had a great defensive spring. We have more quickness, more strength and more guys who have played."

What Dykes really wants is to keep that all important successful momentum from last season to continue in '92. In their last three games, Tech defeated bowl-bound teams Arkansas 38-21, Baylor 31-24 and Houston 52-46 in the season's finale.

Dykes found the piece of the puzzle which just might help him do that with QB Robert Hall, who was chosen as the SWC's pre-season quarterback pick this year, to lead the dangerous offense.

He finished only second to the Cougar's David Klingler in yards passing per game averaging 206 and is a menacing runner in the open field when forced out of the pocket.

On the other side of the ball, interception specialist Tracy Saul, another 1992 pre-season All-American, will lead the defensive contingency. Nicknamed "The Natural," Saul's next pick will set a SWC career record (he's the co-record holder at 20).

Eight starters are back on the defensive side of the ball. Transfers and freshman have been added to fill the holes left by graduating seniors.

While the offense is not as experienced as their defensive counterparts, Hall and a veteran offensive line will enable the Raiders to score even more than last year.

The schedule is not easy, but if Tech is victorious on the road against Oklahoma, Texas A&M and North Carolina State, they have a chance at high national rankings. Dykes put a warning out the the rest of the conference in Tech's '92 media guide.

"We won't be the conference favorite but we may have a say in who finally does win it all," Dykes, who is entering his sixth year this fall, said. "There's a lot of good things to be said about our team."

The only real problem the Raiders are facing is finding replacements for award-winning kickers Mark Bounds and Lin Elliot.

OWLS, COBB POSSESS RIGHT TOOLS FOR '92 RACE

by Jason Luther

As the Rice Owls head into the 1992 season, Head Coach Fred Goldsmith said one thing is certain.

"Trevor Cobb will make the team."

Cobb will be the centerpiece of the Owl offensive attack this season, and he does have a legitimate outside shot at the Heisman Trophy.

Cobb rushed for 1,692 yards last season and needs to add less than 1,500 to his career number of 3,562 to become the SWC's all-time rushing leader.

However, Cobb will not be Rice's only weapon.

Forty-four lettermen return for Rice this season, including nine defensive starters.

This looks to be the Owls' best opportunity for a winning season since 1963.

Goldsmith said this is the best Rice squad he's had in his four years with the Owls, and rightly so.

With all the returning lettermen, experience will be a big key.

In essence, If the Owls don't put together a winning record this season, it may be a long wait for another legitimate shot.

There are some question-marks for Rice, however.

Junior Josh LaRocca looks to have taken the starting quarterback spot from Greg Willig, last year's starter.

LaRocca is quicker than Willig; however, experience may be a factor as to who remains the starter.

The offensive line is perhaps the biggest concern for Goldsmith.

With All-SWC guard Trey Teichelman gone, senior Mike Appelbaum was converted from tackle to fill the position.

Red-shirt freshman Chris Cooley looks to make an impact at left tackle, while the other three offensive line positions consist of players jockeying for starting spots.

The kicking game also has to be a concern for the Owls.

Darrell Richardson, who currently holds both kicking positions for Rice, hit on only six of 11 field goal attempts last season and averaged only 39.3 yards per punt.

Backing him up at both positions are freshmen.

Richardson will have to improve on last season's numbers to provide security at those spots.