NEW POLICY BANS SMOKING ON CAMPUS

by Scherilyn Ishop

UH smokers may have to find another place to light up if the proposed UH smoking policy goes into effect this spring.

The policy, proposed by the Faculty Senate, was voted on Nov. 21, 1991 to eliminate the perceived dangers of second-hand smoke.

Considering earlier debate on the issue, comments and recommendations for changes from the UH community will be reviewed until Oct. 15 1992. The final version of the policy will take effect on January 1, 1993, Mary Brentley of the Faculty Senate said.

The purpose of the policy is to protect non-smokers from unwanted smoke, and to "protect life and property where smoking would present a safety and/or fire hazard," she said.

Under the new policy, smoking will be prohibited in all academic areas such as classrooms, labs and libraries; as well as every public area where faculty, staff or students are assembled, including lounges, hallways, lobbies and dining areas.

Storage rooms, locker rooms and any university-owned outdoor facilities that may pose as fire risks are also included.

However, the policy does not cover public facilities such as the Astrodome, where UH Cougars football games are played. The dome is under state government ordinance only.

Smokers will be allowed to smoke in enclosed offices, but only if a non-smoker is not present and an EPA-approved air filter is provided by the smoker. "People can still smoke in individual offices, but they must have a device to absorb the smoke, or smoking will be banned in every office," Brentley said.

The policy adds that after January 1994, smoking will be prohibited in private offices also.

Other policy exceptions apply to the terraces, Arbor of the University Center and UH Hilton, where smoking and non-smoking areas will be designated in specific areas.

On-campus residences -where smoking is allowed- are exempt from the policy if all room occupants agree.

Smoking information and programs will be provided by the University free of charge through May 30, 1993 to promote a healthy, smoke-free environment.

People who smoke in non-designated areas on campus are subject to fines of up to $200.

*******************************************************

STATE APPROVES SITE FOR ATHLETIC FACILITY

by Veronica Guevara

Whatever conflict regarding the proposed Alumni Organization/ Athletics facility which may have existed seems to have been put aside in order to move forward on the project.

Jim Berry, UH System Facilities Planning, reports that the state has approved the site of the proposed facility -- the practice field behind the tennis courts off of Cullen Blvd. -- and that project managers, architects, engineers and structural work designers have been chosen to begin drawing up the plans for the facility.

"As soon as the contract is drawn up by the UH System and Gerald Hines Interests (project management), the planning can get under way," Berry said. He anticipates the contract to be ready within two to three weeks.

The group chosen for the facility plan include: Hellmuth, Obata, Kassabaum Sports Facilities Group -- a Kansas City, Mo. design group; Kendall and Heaton -- production architects; Walter P. Moore -- structural work (reknown for work on the Astrodome and Hoffeinz Pavilion); I.A. Naman --mechanical, electrical and plumbing consultant.

Frank Holmes, director of the Alumni Organization, is enthusiastic about the new $23.2 million facility made possible by Alumni Philanthropists John and Rebecca Moores' donation.

The Alumni Organization portion of the facility will be a two story structure, approximately 18,000 square feet, housing offices, meeting rooms, reception areas and the class ring shop, Holmes said. This is in comparison with the present Alumni facility behind the Health center, which has only 3,000 square feet.

"We're really excited about being able to do large functions there," Holmes said.

Calling the joint-use facility a real attraction to the university, Holmes looks forward to hosting everything from commencement receptions to the annual Alumni theater night.

Holmes admitted that initially the Alumni were concerned that the joint facility would not have the desired visibility, however, at the present planning stage, with the "separate and distinct" building appearance, most of the alumni are pleased.

Rudy Davalos, director of Athletics, "feels fine" about sharing the proposed Athletics facility with the Alumni Organization.

The athletics portion of the facility will also be a two-story structure, housing conference rooms, offices, study areas, weight rooms, rehabilitation and training rooms and dressing rooms -- in short everything that the old athletics facility has, except for men's and women's basketball -- which will stay in Hofheinz Pavillion.

Also in the plan is a full-sized artificial-turf indoor football field to serve the Cougars in emergencies. Its turf is expected to be rolled-back 75 percent of the time, however, so that the multi-purpose floor for volleyball, tennis and basketball can be available to faculty, staff and students, Davalos said.

"It will be one of the most unique buildings in the country," Davalos added.

In addition to the athletic facilities, there will be a large area for academic enhancement. Tutorials, counseling, a mentor program and a computer lab will be part of the enhancement available to student athletes.

After the state reviews the facility's final plans for compliance with the American's with Disabilities Act, the preliminary construction drawings will be sent out to a group of general contractors to be selected by competitive bidding.

When the General Contractor is chosen, the ground-breaking can begin -- probably by the end of April, with a targeted completion time of midyear 1994.

RECENT GUN CONFISCATION NO FLUKE; GUNS A CAMPUS REALITY

The arrest of UH football player Zachary Chatman last week for weapons possession raises the question: How serious a problem are guns on campus?

Since January 1992, eight gun confiscations have been made at UH, although it is not clear if students were involved.

UHPD Lt. Helia Durant said the department has two confiscations per month at most.

"That's just the nature of today's society," he said. "Individuals feel they have to protect themselves (even) when it's illegal to carry a gun.

"Just one student, administrator or faculty member carrying a gun is a pervasive problem."

Durant said that situation could lead to someone getting hurt.

It is a concern many students share, especially those living on campus, but residence halls coordinators say guns have not caused many problems.

Juanita Barner, area coordinator for Moody Towers, said that in her three months on the job, she has not encountered any weapons violations.

"I have a very good relationship with the RAs and the residents," she said, "and if there was a problem with guns, I'd probably know about it."

Quadrangle Area Coordinator Karen Elkins said, "We've had one disturbance."

Elkins would only say the incident entailed a weapon that was removed from campus before UHPD arrived at the scene. She refused further comment.

UHPD Lt. Brad Wigtil said the state penal code prohibits any firearms on campus, although rifles and shotguns are legal.

"Generally speaking, it's illegal to carry a handgun (on campus)," Wigtil said.

Bringing an illegal gun on campus is a third degree felony which carries a sentence of not more than 10 years, nor less than two, or no more than one year in a community correctional facility. Also included is a fine not to exceed $10,000.

"When we are able to prove someone has brought a gun on campus," Wigtil said, "we file charges with the Harris County District Attorney's office."

Durant said alert students and faculty with any tips can help keep guns off campus by calling UHPD immediately.

BURGER KING TOWING SPREE POSSIBLE ILLEGAL, ATTORNEY SAYS

by Claudia Gutierrez de Velasco

After having their cars towed away from Burger King, located at 2901 Cullen St., UH students might have a chance to recover their cars without charge, said Michael J. Valentine, attorney-at-law.

"Burger King violated the law. There were no signs posted," he said. "According to both city ordinance and state law, citizens have certain rights when it comes to the towing of parked cars. These laws also apply to universities."

He said there must be signs posted prohibiting unauthorized parking. The signs must be clear and visible from the entrance. They must also provide information on the storage lot's name and number where the cars are towed.

"I drove around Burger King's lot that same morning, and there were no signs posted anywhere," Valentine said.

Valentine, a UH graduate, became interested in this situation because of his own personal experience. After having his vehicle towed seven months ago, Valentine did some research.

He recommends students to act within five days after their cars have been towed.

After students paid and picked up their cars, they should go to the Municipal Court building with their receipts, he said. They should go to window 10 and ask the clerk to request a "tow hearing."

After the student filled out a form, a hearing should be scheduled no later than four days, Valentine said. The issue in the hearing will be whether there was a probable cause to have the student's vehicle removed from the lot.

At the hearing, students should explain to the judge that no signs were posted prohibiting parking, and the tow and storage were illegal under Texas Civil Statute Section 6701g-2 and City of Houston Ordinance Section 8-184, he added.

Students should also tell the judge that the maximum towing fee in the City of Houston is $57.00. Some students, whose cars were towed Thursday, were charged $83.24.

Students should ask the judge to find that no probable cause existed for the towing and storage, and that Burger King "knowingly, intentionally or recklessly" violated the law, Valentine said.

The judge should be asked to award students with $100 in damages and three times the amount charged to recover their cars.

Students should at least get back the amount they paid, plus the $10 filing fee.

There was a similar case which occurred on March 20, 1986. In River Oaks Townhomes Owners' Association, Inc. and Brazos Management Company vs. John R. Bunt, a car owner brought action for unauthorized towing against the managers of the parking facility.

Judge Anthony J.P. Farris, Harris County District Court 151, entered judgment in favor of Bunt.

Bunt recovered damages for the towing of his two Corvettes from the parking spaces in his townhouse complex. Both cars had been towed three times, twice by the request of Brazos Management Co. and once at the request of a townhouse owner.

The court ruled in favor of Bunt under the Deceptive Trade Practices Act and Texas Civil Statute article 6701g-2.

RUSSIAN STUDENT SAMPLES LIFE ON AMERICAN CAMPUS

by Tom Anderson

Edward Avanyan's home and friends are half a world away in the former Soviet state of Turkmenistan, but Avanyan has come here, to Houston, to study for a Masters of Business Administration degree.

One of only 41 students studying aspects of business at U.S. universities, Avanyan is a manager of an economic research center in Turkmenistan that played a major role in educating accountants and lawyers about differing aspects of the market economy.

"My aim is to see what your system operates like," Avanyan said. "Later on I can deal with foreign companies in a direct way and help them operate in the Turkmenistan market."

The College of Business Administration Alumni Organization paid for Avanyan's tuition , and through the Benjamin Franklin Fellowship Program, Avanyan was able to come to the United States, said Tom Duening, assistant dean of the College of Business Administration.

The fellowship program supports study in four areas: business administration, public administration, law and economics.

Over 2,000 people applied for the scholarships, and only 10 percent of those students were selected to be interviewed in Kiev and Moscow. Of those, 41 students were selected to attend universities across the United States.

"Two other people from my home town were selected, and four from Turkmenistan," said Avanyan.

Overall, 31 institutions are hosting the students from the former Soviet Union.

"The most surprising thing to me is the way lecturers present material. It is so friendly and with a dose of humor," Avanyan said about his transition to Houston life.

"Also, we've had a meal at Ninfa's, sampled Tex-mex, had fajitas, and margaritas," said Duening.

"I feel that whatever I gain here will be useful. I will remember this with a warm feeling. I feel like I'm at home and not in another country."

SOPHIE B. HAWKINS TOP PRIZE IN KRBE CONTEST

by Rhonda Smith

Sophie B. Hawkins paid Houston a visit last week to perform at the Tower Theater, and appear at a special private pre-show party for 22 KRBE winners hosted by 104 KRBE last Wednesday.

This percussionist and native New Yorker's first album, <i>Tongues And Tails<p>, is doing increasingly well and her first concert in Houston at the Tower Theater was a sell out.

The Sophie B. Hawkins private pre-party, held at 8.0's, started promptly at 7:00 with Sophie arriving on time, unlike most musicians.

The 22 KRBE winners and their dates mingled with Sophie and some of her band members while enjoying the free food and drinks provided by 8.0s. Also included in the deal was the opportunity for the winners to get there picture taken with Sophie.

When the party was over and all the pictures had been taken, Sophie quietly strolled out of 8.0s and headed toward Sound Warehouse which was next door. Apparently she wanted to see a display of herself. Her band and managers were not far behind.

Hawkins responded positively to the display and took some pictures of it for herself.

The 22 winners also got tickets to her concert the following evening.

The Tower Theater's doors opened sometime before 8 p.m., and Sophie, greeted by an adoring audience, went on after the opening act at 9:30.

Midway through California Here I Come , her second song, the front portion of the audience began to stand and move closer in. An intimate evening with Sophie Ballentine Hawkins had begun. The audience responded with energy and couples began to cuddle at the sound of Damn (I Wish I Was Your Lover ).

Sophie ended the concert with the song All The Young Dudes , and like most of the songs she performed, she dedicated this one to the audience as well.

ENTERTAIN ME

A weekly calendar of campus events

Tuesday 9/8

*Resume Writing Workshop

- 3:30 p.m. at the Student Service Center, room 106

*SPB Film "The Player"

- 4 p.m. & 7:30 p.m. at the UC Houston Room ($1 admission)

*Barron's International Dinner Series (Mexican theme)

- Reservations required 743-2555

Wednesday 9/9

*Interview Techniques Workshop

- 10 a.m. at the Student Service

Center, room 106

*Campus Recruitment Workshop

- 10 a.m. at the Student Service Center, room 106

*Fall Activities Mart

- Student organizations will publicize their events and recruit new members.

- 11 a.m. -- 1 p.m. in the UC Arbor

*Barron's International Dinner Series (New Orleans theme)

- reservations required 743-2555

Thursday 9/10

*Late Fee Payment

- In the UC, Houston Room

*Campus Recruitment Workshop

- 11 a.m. at the Student Service Center, room 106

*Student Organization Registration

-6 p.m. in the Campus activities Large Conference Room

-All students interested in starting a new organization should plan to attend one of the sessions (others will be held at a later time.)

*Cross Country: Houston Invitational

- call for information 743-9404

*Barron's International Dinner Series (Italian theme)

- Call for reservations 743-2555

Friday 9/11

*"The Art of Private Devotion: Retablo Painting in Mexico"

- Opening Reception at 7 p.m. in the Blaffer Gallery (114 Fine Arts)

- On display through October 18

- Blaffer Information 743-9530

*Barron's International Dinner Series (Australian theme)

- Call for reservations 743-2555

*"Closed for Repairs"

-World Premiere of UH Drama student, Tom Vaughan's play. Billed as a "tragedy with a smile."

Presented by the UH School of Theater and the Student Program Board.

-Friday and Saturday at 8p.m. and Sunday at 2p.m. at the Wortham Lab Theatre.

-For more information call 743-5210

SOUNDS OF SEATTLE DOCUMENTED IN CROWE'S SINGLES SOUNDTRACK

by Rebecca McPhail

Hot on the heels of Nirvana's march up the charts and Pearl Jam's success on both Top 40 and AOR radio, comes Singles, Cameron Crowe's cinematic look at the "Seattle sound."

Singles stars Matt Dillon as an aspiring singer with none other than Pearl Jam as his backing band.

Due to be released on Sept. 18, the movie has already spawned a soundtrack saturated with Seattle-based bands.

Comprised of nearly all original songs, Singles is a fair representation of the Seattle music scene. (The only notable exception is Nirvana.)

Current MTV darlings, Pearl Jam, show off two new songs, "Breath" and the college radio hit, "State of Love and Trust."

The straight-ahead rock of "State..." and the slightly Indian-tinged sound of "Breath" are as strong as the material on their current album, Ten.

As to be expected, the majority of material is in the standard "grunge" mode. However, there are some surprises.

Mother Love Bone (whose lead singer, Andrew Wood, died of a heroin overdose a couple of years back) are represented by the quietly affecting "Chloe Dancer/ Crown of Thorns."

Even more intriguing is the acoustic turn Chris Cornell takes in "Seasons."

Best known as Soundgarden's bombastic frontman, Cornell could actually have a future as a sensitive folk-singer should he ever have a change of heart.

Another MTV favorite, and oddly enough, the only other performer with two songs on the record, is the Michael Penn sing-alike, Paul Westerberg.

Westerberg's "Waiting for Somebody" and "Dyslexic Heart" straddle the line between mainstream AOR and banal acoustic folk. His songs constitute the weakest link on the soundtrack.

The Screaming Trees and Smashing Pumpkins (the vegetation in pain combo) wrap up the album with solid performances.

However, it is Mudhoney's "Overblown" that best sums up the current Seattle scene.

In it they sing, "Everybody loves us, everybody loves our town...it's so overblown."

Due to its predominantly original songs, Singles is one of the stronger soundtracks to come out recently.

The fear, however, is in concentrating so heavily on the Seattle scene, the music industry will lose sight of the talented local bands in everyone's hometown.

LOLLAPALOOZA '92: CIRCUS OF THE STARS

by Shane Patrick Boyle

A young man named Emilio, in a rainbow colored hat, stands at a table in front of a banner that says "Mao more than ever!" and passes out flyers proclaiming "Phony communism is dead . . . Long live real communism!" He is discussing Bill Clinton's flaws. "But better Clinton than Bush," an onlooker insists.

"Better revolution than more bullshit!" Emilio shoots back.

Nearby, some college students participating in a survey and contestants spinning a wheel for condoms and backstage passes, are distracted by the distinct sound of a crow bar against a television screen and a crowd chanting "Fuck it up! Fuck it up! Fuck it up!" More clanging noises come from the opposite direction where aspiring musicians are applying drumsticks to hubcaps, sheet metal, and oil drums.

Oblivious to the action, bookworms peruse a booth stocked with underground and independent comics, and books about musicians; adventurous souls on the other side of the booth drink unfamiliar beverages. And off in the distance, the first band begins to play on the main stage.

If this doesn't sound like a description of a typical concert, that's because it's not. It's Lollapalooza, which came to the Fort Bend County Fairgrounds Saturday. The event, a combination carnival and concert, featured a potpourri of politics, information, merchandise, oddities, amusements and even music.

Bands performing on the main stage were Lush, Pearl Jam, Jesus and Mary Chain, Soundgarden, and Ice Cube. Performing in the heat of the afternoon is Ministry, and The Red Hot Chili Peppers burning up the night.

Soundgarden (sounds like it should be the name of a record shop) put on the best afternoon show, surprising and thrilling the masses with a "song about rights" -- their rendition of Ice-T's "Cop Killer" followed, without pause, by N.WA.'s "Fuck tha' Police."

Ministry and the Peppers performed awesome musical acts. Ministry's performance, which included "One More Fix" -- dedicated to beat novelist William Burroughs, was highlighted by an impressive show of lights and moving images.

In the final act, the Peppers surprised few, but thrilled many with their scantily-clad, high energy performance complete with fire hats and torches.

During every performance, security workers on stage used water hoses to hold the crowd back from the stage, but in the sultry heat, the hoses served more as incentive than deterrent.

On the muddy field in front of the stage, the enormous audience -- an enthusiastic mass of dancing t-shirts and flesh -- grew larger and more compact as the day went by, so that by night, the cluster of bodies gave off more heat than the sun had during the day.

Some party goers propelled their friends above the assemblage of bodies using blankets for trampolines. The orphaned sandals of airborne individuals littered the ground.

In the midst of all this, an observant eye could catch the occasional joint or a small white square paper on the tongue of an open mouth, but most opted for beer or an alternative.

One alternative came in the form of a plastic viewing device called an LSD flight simulator. The vendor offered test flights for a dollar.

Smart drinks were the most popular alternative. These dinks, made of natural ingredients included two varieties available at the festival -- Quantum Blast to increase endurance and Orbit Juice to provide quick energy.

But how do they taste? According to one person who tried the beverage, "I'm not really sure." Another sampler said they had "a slight chalky taste."

Slug, an experienced smart drinker, said "It has a bitter taste to it," but if they made it taste sweet, "people wouldn't think it was good for them."

The drinks make him feel awake, he said. "You can drink one in the afternoon and (the energy) will last until evening," Slug said.

It's not something that should be consumed in large quantities according to Slug who said he believes in the "everything in moderation" practice.

When he says "everything," he is not kidding. Slug, a performer in the Jim Rose Sideshow Circus, eats crickets, maggots, and worms, plays the keyboard, swallows fly swatters and swords -- all in moderation of course.

Other Sideshow performers on the second stage included a human pin cushion, The Earl of Hurl -- a man who has a beer recipe for bile beer which involves ingesting a large quantity of Miller, chocolate and ketchup through a tube in his nose and pushing it back out, mixed with bile --, and Jim Rose himself -- a man who sticks his face in broken glass while women stand on the back of his head (no wonder his face looks so clean shaven) -- all of whom will be in Houston a couple of months from now for a two hour show.

Though not quite as visual, the organizations distributing also attracted attention. Some of the diverse groups represented were National Abortion Rights Action League, The Rainforest Action Network, The American Civil Liberty Union, cannabis and hemp action, Zendik Farm, The Revolutionary Communist Party, The Libertarian Party, Rock The Vote and Refuse & Resist!.

Frank San Miguel, a UH senior, worked at the Refuse & Resist! table distributing literature opposing various forms of oppression and stickers with slogans like "Nazi Skinheads Fuck Off!" and "New World Order has Third Reich Odor". According to San Miguel, "a lot of people were really enthusiastic about getting information which is really unique." Much of the information from the various groups was stuff that those attending might not be exposed to elsewhere, he said.

In that respect, the festival "defeated the purpose of a lot of people who want to repress information."

Reactions to the festival varied. One teenager said it was "a fuckin' let down," but most reacted positively.

Zack, a UH student, said "It's fuckin' worth (the money)."

UH junior Melissa Stewart said, "It's really incredible; a lot of fuckin' people."

COUGARS GET BLOWN AWAY BY 'CANE

by Keith Rollins

The supposed most-potent scoring offense, the Cougar's run-and shoot, couldn't put points on the board on their last three possessions Saturday, resulting in a 28-25 loss to the Golden Hurricane of Tulsa.

UH's defense held, but the offense, with Jimmy Klingler at the helm, was stymied by a tough Tulsa defense before 33,614 fans at Skelly Stadium.

After a valiant Cougar comeback tying the score at 25, Tulsa scored the winning points on a 42-yard field goal by Eric Lange with only 8:18 remaining. After that, the Cougars gave up five key turnovers, limited to poor field possessions and unable to find the end-zone making them 0-1.

The Cougar's chances looked good in the early stages. They won the coin-toss and marched down the field to Tulsa's 23-yard line. But on a flubbed snap, starting QB Donald Douglas fumbled, and the result was a disastrous first quarter.

On the next series of downs, Tulsa was awarded a safety after Douglas intentionally threw the ball away from his own end-zone to avoid being sacked.

Klingler then came in to try his luck, but on his first snap, superback TiAndre Sanders crossed him up on a broken play causing yet another fumble. The result - Lange's first field goal.

Finally, after Tulsa had produced a touchdown and another field goal, Klingler settled in and threw his first touchdown as a UH quarterback and the first Cougar points of the day with a 6-yard pass to Freddie Gilbert. Klingler finished the game going 30-57 with 327 passing yards and 2 interceptions.

Douglas was upset after Head Coach John Jenkins replaced him after only three series, but with Klingler getting hot, Jenkins stuck to his game plan and went with the hotter of the two. He said he was excited with what both quarterbacks displayed, but felt Douglas tensed up with opening-game jitters.

Lawrence McPherson, a freshman superback, led a charge in the second half with long gains and the offense responded with a scoring barrage. McPherson, who later was named the Cougar's player of the game with 56 yards on 8 carries, capped off the drive by scoring his first collegiate touchdown with a 5-yard scamper cutting Tulsa's lead to 22-17 with 2:27 left in the third quarter.

After Tulsa stretched their lead to 25-17 with Lange's third field goal, UH went to the air.

Klingler completed pass after pass and hit slot receiver Daniel Adams from 6-yards out to bring the score to 25-23 on a successful 78-yard drive.

Jenkins then made a keen coaching move by calling for a two-point conversion attempt instead of just a one-point extra kick to tie the game.

Klingler rolled left, but all his receivers were covered, so he successfully dove for the goal line to bring the game to a 25-point stand-off.

Tulsa's next drive got close enough to the Cougar's end of the field enabling Lange to hit the game-winning field goal from 42-yards out.

Although the Cougar's offensive numbers were better then the 'Cane, 452 to 345, five turnovers were too much for the Cougar's defense. Plus, noting that Tulsa held an extreme advantage in starting drive field possession, it often left the defense with a small field to defend.

Overall, the Cougar defense, led by first year coordinator Melvin Robertson, looked extremely good considering secondary replacement woes.

Defensive MVP Ryan McCoy had 18 tackles and broke up one pass play to lead the defense.

KLINGER TAKES LEAD AT QB SPOT

Cougar Sports Services

The quarterback race has heated up after the first game with a fine passing performance by Jimmy Klingler.

Starter Donald Douglas was ineffective after the first three series of play. He was called for a safety after intentionally grounding the ball from his own end zone and fumbled once.

Klingler played the rest of the game, despite throwing two interceptions.

NEW FACES MAKE FIRST MARK

New faces on the field were abundant in the Cougar's season opener.

Most notable was QB Jimmy Klingler. The unheralded kid brother of last year's starting QB, David Klingler, led the passing attack against Tulsa hitting 30 of 57 passing attempts for 327 yards. Last year, as one of David's backups, Jimmy hit 8 of 20 passes for 134 yards.

In the superback position, freshman Lawrence McPherson gained player of the game honors after rushing 8 times for 56 yards with one touchdown and one reception. He also fielded kick-off returns.

Juco transfer Keith Jack, pre-season newcomer of the year pick, grabbed 5 catches for 46 yards.

Freshman Jimmy Hearndon started on the offensive line and juco transfer wide out Donald Moffett snagged a couple of catches for 17 yards.

At the free safety position, redshirt freshman Thomas McGaughey started his first game because of lack of depth in the secondary. He past the test despite being called for two interference calls. Not bad for a guy who found out just two weeks ago that he would be playing that position.

NETTERS GET SAND IN FACE AT TOURNAMENT

The Big Kahuna was out to wash up Lady Cougars Volleyball team this past weekend in the Hawaiian Airlines Wahine Volleyball Classic.

In spite of the idyllic Hawaiian surroundings, the Cougars did not find a trace of paradise on the volleyball court as they lost to nationally ranked Hawaii, Illinois, and NCAA championship winner, UCLA.

In the first match against Hawaii, the Wahines set the tone for the game as they came out swinging. Houston tried to stay alive, but it was to no avail. Hawaii tacked down the first game with a 15-6 win.

The second game was different, as the Lady Cougars battled back against the Wahines. The combined talents of Ashley Mulkey and Janelle Harmonson

left Hawaii high and dry. Kills meant the demise of Hawaii, and they fell to the Cougars in game two, 15-12.

Houston's head volleyball Coach Bill Walton said "In the first game we were nervous. We didn't assault and didn't attack well. In the second game, I felt that when we came back we gained confidence. That was critical."

Unfortunately for Houston the next two games drained them of their confidence and they were defeated 15-10 and 15-3.

University of Hawaii Head Coach Dave Shoji feels that his team does need to improve. He said "We're not a very good team at this point, but we won and that is what counts. We got sloppy on game two. That whole game was something that we did not want to see. We are not executing as well as we should."

On the second day of the tournament, Houston came face to face with UCLA. Again, the Cougars came out shaky in the first game. UCLA repeatedly blocked Houston's scoring attempts and won the game 15-2.

The second game proved to be a case of deja vu for the Cougars, as once again they came out prepared and won the game 15-13.

In the third and fourth games, Houston again played the way they had the previous day and lost the match 15-3 and 15-12.

On the last day of the tournament, Illinois and Houston

went head to head. The Cougars were looking to rectify their performances of the previous games.

Illinois knocked off Houston in the first two games 15-2 and 15-1. However, Houston still had some fight left and challenged Illinois in the third game. The Lady Cougars stomped on Illinois in the third game, beating them soundly 15-4.

The last and final game of the tournament for Houston ended in a disappointing 15-11 loss.

VOLLEYBALLERS READY TO COME GACK TO FRIENDLY CONFINES OF HOFHEINZ

Cougar Sports Services

After enduring a miserable three-game losing streak on the road, the ladies' volleyball team is looking forward to their first home games on September 11 and 12.

The Lady Coogs will play host to Lamar and Arizona in the Houston Invitational.

In 1991 competition against Lamar, the Cougars lost in three games 15-3, 15-5, and 15-13. Houston has an overall record from last season of 6-3.

The Lady Cougars fared better against Arizona last year posting a 4-1 season.

The games will be held at Hofheinz Pavilion. The times have yet to be posted.

Admission is free with UH identification, $1 for all other students, and $3 for adults.

Head Coach Bill Walton and his team will be looking for revenge after doing so poorly in their first three games.

SWC TEAMS LOSE 7 OF 8 IN OPENERS

by Keith Rollins

Daily Cougar Sports

The Texas A&M Aggies team provided the only win for the Southwest Conference football program over the weekend making 7 out of 8 teams losers.

With conference respect being a constant issue in regards to national champion candidates, the SWC took it on the chin this week in a not so good showing.

The Aggies narrowly beat a rebounding Louisiana State team in Cajun country winning 31-22, but the others weren't so lucky.

Our own Houston Cougars provided a respectable Tulsa Golden Hurricane their first victory in Oklahoma at 28-25 and the Texas Longhorns were ousted by the Jackie Sherrill run Mississippi State Bulldogs. At least Tulsa and Miss. St. were ranked in some collegiate polls, a justification not so easily used by Baylor.

The Bears from Waco were up-ended by the Louisiana Tech Bulldogs in a squeaker 10-9.

In another close game, the Mustangs of SMU took a loss from the Tulane Wave losing 13-12 because of a late missed field goal.

A pre-season favorite, the Horned Frogs of TCU, were jumped on early by the New Mexico Lobos and lost the season-opener for rookie Head Coach Pat Sullivan 24-7.

Next on the list of casualties comes Texas Tech. The Red Raiders lost their first battle to the newly passing-happy Oklahoma Sooners 34-9.

Then come the Rice Owls, who with a legitimate Heisman Trophy candidate, running back Trevor Cobb, entered the Air Force Falcons domain with a show of confidence, but limped home with a 30-21 loss. Still, Cobb gained 106 yards in the losing effort.

Finally, even though they aren't in the conference anymore, but were just a year ago, Arkansas lost to The Citadel of Division 1-AA 10-3 prompting Head Coach Jack Crowe to resign after just one game. Defensive coordinator Joe Kines was named interim coach.

BRIEFS

ALUMNI WINS SCHOLARSHIPS

U of H Beta Alpha Psi Fall officers attended their annual meeting in Washington, DC August 6-9.

The Houston's chapter distinguished itself once again as the "Superior Chapter" and received two $500 scholarships to award to chapter members.

Additionally, the chapter is allowed to submit a nomination for "Accountant of the Year" in one of three categories - Public, Government and Education. Kathryn Whitmire, who is a BAP Alumna, was submitted as the chapter's nominee in the area of Government Accounting.

Wendy Araiza, Fall 1991 corresponding secretary and current Alumna, was Honorable Mention for her Manuscript submission.

As testimony to the chapter's accomplishment, National Headquarters asked the Gamma Delta Chapter to present two panel discussions. The first was a repeat of Kathryn Hamlyn's successful panel discussion of "Thirty Something and Starting Your Career". The second panel discussion dealt with "Successful Minority Recruitment/Retention Activities" headed by present BAP President Leah Auricchio and a group of officers.

Recent history, political science, education graduates and seniors should consider applying for a $24,000 fellowship sponsored by the James Madison Memorial Fellowship Foundation.

Through nationwide competition, the fellowships will be awarded to at least one legal resident in each state, including the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico and other U.S. territories.

Fellowships carry a stipend of $24,000 to cover the costs of tuition, fees, books and living expenses. For further details contact Prof. Hannah Decker from the College of Humanities and Fine Arts at 743-2993.