PAROLED GRADUATE STUDENT ARRESTED, CHARGED WITH SEXUAL ABUSE OF A CHILD

by Meagan McGovern

A UH sociology graduate student was arrested Thursday on charges of aggravated sexual assault of a child under 14 years old, said Lt. Brad Wigtil of the UH Police Department.

William Middlebrook, 45, was living with the complainant in the case, a 4-year-old girl and her parents, said Robert Hurst, a spokesperson for Houston Police.

Middlebrook is being held on $50,000 bond, Wigtil said.

However, Judy Hay, a spokesperson for Children's Protective Services, said Middlebrook was living with a girlfriend and her 14-year-old daughter, who is the complainant in the case.

The UH police department refused to release a copy of the arrest report.

Middlebrook was on parole by Harris County until January 1996 for a prior case of aggravated sexual assault of a child under 14 years old, Hurst said. Middlebrook had been sentenced to 10 years in the Texas Department of Corrections for the previous crime, Hurst said.

CPS had stepped in to try and help the child involved in the case, said Judy Hay, community relations director for CPS.

Middlebrook was arrested in the snack room of PGH by UH police. Houston police had the warrant and had asked UH police for help in locating Middlebrook, Wigtil said.

Middlebrook, who first enrolled at UH in 1966, is currently enrolled as a graduate student, said a spokesperson for the registrar's office.

Dr. Russell Curtis, an associate professor in sociology, said Middlebrook has been a teacher's assistant in the sociology department.

Middlebrook had been tutoring statistics in the sociology department and worked in the sociology data lab, Curtis said.

Anthony Dworkin, chair of the sociology department, said he had known of Middlebrook's past prison sentence. "We knew about the prison sentence, but my understanding was that he had taken college courses while in prison."

Dworkin said personal life is something apart from academic life, and that "we don't meddle in the lives of our students, especially the lives of adult graduate students."

"He's a good grad student," Dworkin said. "He's making good progress toward his master's. He's gotten good reviews from student evaluations, so we reappointed him to the lab."

*******************************************************

UH CAMPUS FAIRLY SAFE COMPARED WITH OTHERS

by Deborah Hensel

UH is relatively safe compared to other campuses nationally, and steps are being taken to make it safer, according to UHPD Lt. Brad Wigtil.

Wigtil presented information about campus safety needs, police services, educational programs and FBI crime statistics comparing UH to other universities at the Sexual Assault Task Force's second meeting Thursday.

The Uniform Crime Report compiled by the FBI shows that in calendar year 1990, UH ranked 60th in the nation for total reported crimes on campus and 63rd in 1991.

In 1990, Michigan State, Ohio State and UC-Berkeley ranked first, second and third, with more than three times as many reported crimes as UH.

In 1991, these same universities ranked second, third and fourth behind the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor, which reported 2,449 crimes compared to 661 at UH.

Elwin Lee, vice president of student affairs, pointed out that his own alma mater, Yale, ranked sixth in 1990 with more than twice as many crimes as UH.

Statewide in 1991, UH ranked fourth behind the University of Texas, Texas A & M and Texas Tech.

UT reported 1,081 total crimes, one of which was a rape and eight being aggravated assaults. At A & M, there were three reported rapes and four assaults out of 828 total crimes. Texas Tech reported two rapes and one assault out of 703 incidents.

In discussing the specific crimes listed in the UCR, Wigtil explained the difference between rape, aggravated assault and assault.

Assault is defined by varying degrees, some of which may involve minor injuries, he said. Aggravated assault is defined by more serious bodily injury, use of a weapon or threat of injury with a weapon.

Rape is a type of sexual assault, Wigtil said, and is not considered aggravated assault unless a weapon is used or serious injury occurs.

As a recommendation in the sexual assault and harassment policy the SATF is writing, Lee suggested that UH's daily crime bulletins include attempted rapes.

In his presentation to the task force, Wigtil outlined specific services campus police now offer to prevent crimes, in addition to their reactive duties.

One of these is a contact program in which police regularly check with an appointed person in each building to collect information on security-related problems.

The failure-to-safeguard program ensures routine checks on campus buildings and reports on doors left unlocked. The majority of losses of equipment and other school property are caused by security lapses, not burglaries, Wigtil said.

Wigtil also told the group about a two-person, anti-crime unit that analyzes "hot crime areas" and sets "bait"-- unattended purses and books -- to catch thieves in the act.

Wigtil also discussed emergency call boxes, two of which will be added to new parking lot 16D, due to be completed in October.

The campus now has 27 call boxes in place, and police have recommended 11 more to Parking and Transportation Manager Gerald Hagan, Wigtil said, at a cost of $5,000 each.

Wigtil presented a May, 1990, memorandum from Hagan to the director of Administrative Services proposing a $475,700 upgrade of campus lighting over four years, beginning in 1991.

The memorandum states that $118,925 in parking maintenance funds will be allocated for this purpose.

Tom Pennett, director of Residential Housing, said his department has completed as much of the budgeted $47,000 lighting upgrades as they could afford.

Raymond Dale, manager of the Grounds Department, presented photographs to illustrate how his department was altering landscaping to improve visibility and security while maintaining aesthetics.

Gail Hudson of Counseling and Testing closed the meeting with a brief preview of her report. Hudson said the task force had spent a lot of time discussing safety issues related more to stranger rape. She said she hoped more time would be allotted to acquaintance rape at future meetings, since 84 to 88 percent of all rapes are committed by someone the victim knows.

The task force will meet again on Sept. 21 to hear assigned reports from other committee members.

COUNCIL MAY ELIMINATE SMALL-ENROLLMENT CLASSES FROM SCHEDULE

by Melissa Neeley

With UH's reshaping plan in the works, some classes consisting of a small number of students will be cancelled because of budget cuts.

"There has been eight years of decreasing resources across the board (at UH). We need to trim those things that don't have priority," Glenn Aumann, senior vice president of Academic Affairs, told the UH Undergraduate Council Wednesday.

The Undergraduate Council discussed class sizes, scholarships and possible changes of requirements needed by high school students to enter UH as well as other Texas universities.

The council is made up of faculty from various colleges who represent their students.

Some of the functions of the Undergraduate Council include approving requests made by colleges for new majors as well as changes in courses and the core curriculum. An effective way to reshape UH's budget is to continue to get its resources for a particular college internally through private funds and donations, Aumann said.

Also, the alternative of reducing "the range of elective courses having 11, 12 and up to 14 students needs to be re-examined," he said.

The same class which is offered more than once a day to a number of students who can be combined without overcrowding would remedy some of the budget problems, he said.

Combining classes might lead some students to experience "a little bit of discomfort" because they have to re-schedule their other classes, but it would result in considerable economic savings, he said.

The director of the Scholarships Committee, Dr. John Hardy, spoke to the committee about those UH students who are under scholarships and those students who lost theirs.

Data on students receiving scholarships for both the 1990-1991 and 1991-1992 (fall and spring semesters) school years was analyzed at the meeting.

The six scholarships focused on included the National Merit/National Achievement, the Cullen Leadership and both the Hispanic and Black Academic Achievement awards.

The majority of students entering UH in the fall of 1991 on one of these six scholarships remained in good academic standing after their first semester; a little over 14 percent of students entering in 1991 lost their scholarships.

Almost 20 percent of students entering UH in the fall of 1991, however, were on scholarship probation by the end of the year, the data showed.

Students who are under scholarship probation are given a semester to bring up their grades before their scholarships are taken away, Hardy said.

The Scholarship Committee is presently doing a "longitudinal study" to find out what improvements it can make to benefit undergraduates, he said.

Hardy said students who may have done well in high school and scored high on the SAT test still might fail at UH. "If a student is not involved in many extra-curricular activities and comes from a small town, he may drown at UH," he said.

By 1996, high school students wishing to enter UH might have to have an extra math and science credit than those students presently attending the university, Shirley Ezell, associate vice president of academic programs, said.

The Admissions Reviews Committee has proposed that all Texas universities also require two years of a foreign language to go along with the increases in math and science credits, she said.

The changes in admissions requirements to get into universities, however, have only been proposed, she said. University and high school faculty will have about three years to decide if any changes need to be made, she said.

NOBEL PRIZE-WINNING PHYSICIST SPEAKS ON CAMPUS, TELLS HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS TO SEEK OUT UNIVERSE'S ANSWERS

by Kristine Fahrenholz

We have an obligation to understand, as best we can, the world we were born into, said Nobel Prize winner Sheldon Glashow during a lecture to high school students at the UH Hilton Wednesday.

He offered the Superconducting Supercollider as an answer to the questions of what things are made of, how do the stars shine and where did they come from?

The supercollider is not for transporting trains between Houston and Dallas by discovering a new high temperature superconductor or for developing a new kind of toothpaste, Glashow said.

The Superconducting Supercollider is a 54-mile long accelerator based in Waxahachie, Tx.

"The device makes protons rapidly with great energy. The two counter-rotating beams of protons are made to hit one another," Glashow explained.

Glashow quoted Einstein to expand upon the topic of why it is important to understand particle physics.

"There are too many different kinds of elementary particles; that's why people don't like particle physics," he said.

Glashow was awarded the Nobel Prize for his contributions to the explanation of the relationship between two of nature's basic forces: electromagnetism and the weak force governing radioactive decay.

He is also noted for his discoveries in particle physics and advanced research regarding the "Big Bang" theory.

Ching Wu-Chu, director of the Texas Center for Superconductivity, said Glashow is "one of the most respected, distinguished and inferential theoretical physicists of all time."

The students attended an open house before the lecture where they watched various demonstrations.

"The fluids and flames demonstration was awesome," said Jimmy Pang of Clements High School.

The Texas Center for Superconductivity and UH Department of Physics hosted the event.

LINEBACKER TAKES CHARGE

McCOY LEADS NEW-LOOK 'D'

Throughout football's history, great linebackers have been known to intimidate entire offensive lines.

Dick Butkus. Leroy Jordan. Lawrence Taylor. Jack's Ham and Lambert.

All were known for vocalizing their feelings to opposing teams.

UH middle linebacker Ryan McCoy has no such tactics. He lets his actions on the field do the talking.

Last weekend in Tulsa, McCoy had 18 tackles to lead the team, including six unassisted and one for a loss of yards. He also broke up a pass.

"I like to hit," McCoy said. "I just want to get to the ball. That's all you really need as a linebacker.

"Everybody has the ability. It's just how bad you desire to get to the ball. That's what I have."

He also has the respect of Defensive Coordinator Melvin Robertson, who said McCoy would be sorely missed if he were lost for the season.

"It's like if somebody lost Barry Sanders, or they lost the quarterback," Robertson said. "He (McCoy) is the quarterback of the defense. We'd have to scramble around and do something else."

Yet McCoy does not like to think of himself as the center of attention, nor as the focal point of the defense. Rather, he sees his output on the field as a product of the front line's success.

"Our front four did so well (against Tulsa). If the front four do their job, the linebackers are supposed to make more tackles," McCoy said.

"Since they had a great game, naturally, I'm going to have a great game if I'm executing my responsibilities. It's a team effort."

The team comes first for the 6-3, 240-pound junior from Beaumont Central, and he realizes the implications of being one of the few returning defense starters.

"I'm better than I was last year because I'm in better shape," he said. "I know what to expect, and I know how to push myself a little harder.

"I'm getting older, and I'm being looked up to as being a leader, so I have to push myself."

While it's probably too early to make any definitive assumptions, if McCoy continues at half the pace he did at Tulsa, he will top 100 tackles for the second time in three years.

He had 116 takedowns in 1990 as a freshman and nearly broke the century mark again in 1991 with 97 tackles.

McCoy said he hopes opposing offenses take notice of his presence.

"I would like them to be a little intimidated," he said, "but once the game starts, I'll let my actions speak for themselves.

"I just want them to know I'm coming with it every play, and I'm not going to back off."

McCoy follows the example of ex-Cougar linebacker Reggie Burnett, who was a senior during McCoy's freshman season.

"Reggie Burnett was an example of a great leader by his work ethic," McCoy said. "He laid the foundation. I used to be amazed at how hard he worked. He sort of imbedded that in me."

Talking big can help build a team's morale, but in McCoy's case, silence is golden.

LEWIS, BURRELL TO ATTEND TRACK CLUB'S 5K FUN RUN

by Keith Rollins

The fourth annual Cougar Classic 5K Fun Run will be held this Saturday to benefit the Cougar Track Club.

1992 Olympic gold medalists Carl Lewis, Leroy Burrell, Mike Marsh and Michelle Finn will be on hand to award the winners.

"It's a good opportunity for past track alumni to show their support and enthusiasm for the track club at UH," Burrell said.

The course will start at the intersection of Cullen and Wheeler streets, circle around the campus and finish on the track at Robertson Stadium.

The run will begin at 7:30 a.m. with the children starting first, the ladies next and finally the men after that. A 3K fun walk will also take place in the midst of all the running.

Entrees for the run must sign up between 11 a.m. and 7 p.m. today at the track office located across from Cougar Place residence halls.

The track club is different from the track team, as the club is for athletes without collegiate eligibilities.

For example, when Burrell used up his four years of team competition on the college level, university funding was also used up. He, along with other athletes, had to depend on these extra funds to continue their future in track and field. These nationwide clubs are a direct descendant of the rise of track talent in the United States.

Members of the track team and club will be out in full force to hand out water, take care of the runners and sign autographs.

"Since I love track, I was happy to provide my services," said Sam Jefferson, who has been likened to Lewis and Burrell in the talent department. "Coach asked me, and I will be there."

Last year, the run had over 800 participants, and expectations are even greater for this run.

"It has been growing since the first year we had it," assistant Track Coach Mike Takaha said. "Past participants tell their friends about it, and they come out making the race that much more successful."

For more information, call the track office at 743-9465.

COUGAR CLIPS

*Superback Tommy Guy and defensive tackle Shad Patrick ---Gone! The two failed to meet the university's academic standards and are out for the season. Juco-transfer running back Lamar Smith is still waiting for clearance. Ditto for receiver Jason McDonald and defensive back Carl Jackson.

*While Coach John Jenkins uses this open week to have his offense work on fundamentals, Defensive Coordinator Melvin Robertson has a more tangible focus -- one of preparing for the variety of offensive formations they will encounter against Illinois' Pro-Multiple offensive scheme. Said Robertson, "(The Illini) run 16 different offensive sets compared to the six we saw last week against Tulsa."

*Although the Cougars will enjoy an off-weekend, there will be some crucial match-ups this weekend between some SWC teams and non-conference opponents: Texas will face Syracuse in the Carrier Dome in Syracuse, A&M meets Tulsa at Kyle Field in College Station, Baylor takes on Colorado at Floyd Casey Stadium in Waco and Tech will meet Wyoming in Lubbock.

-- Jason Luther

MILD MANNERED POLITICIAN READY TO TRANSFORM IN TO SUPER CONGRESSMAN

by Kim Copelin

Republican nominee for the new 29th Congressional District Clark Kent Ervin addressed the UH College Republicans about his campaign platform Thursday in Melcher Hall.

Ervin claimed 1992 will be one of the easiest years to get rid of incumbents.

He is running against Democrat Gene Green for the new U.S. congressional seat.

"The Hispanic community deserves a statesman who has demonstrated sympathy and a willingness to listen and support them," Ervin said.

The district race is unusual and unique because Green spent $700,000 for the primary races and now only has $30,000 to $40,000 remaining in the budget, Ervin said.

Whereas Ervin's campaign budget has $400,000, and his party is planning more fund-raisers, he said. The money will be used for radio and television spots and mail pieces, he said.

Ervin said he will debate Green on Channel 2 sometime in the future.

"I'm looking forward to the debate. I like Gene, but he's incredibly inarticulate."

Ervin plans to attack Green on his 20-year administration as a Texas state legislator.

"Prisoners worked from sun up to sun down. This way, prisons were self-supportive, and it gave prisoners incentive to get out," he said.

"In a lot of ways, prisoners are better off than people on the street. Prisoners get three meals a day, and prison is less violent."

Ervin also plans to attack Green on the increasing drop-out rate in public schools.

"If I attack him on these two things, I think I can win," he said.

Ervin said his opponent wants to debate Bush's referendum. "I cannot run the president's debate. If we debate over this, I'll loose."

Ben Reyes, former Democratic candidate for the seat, has endorsed Ervin and called for Hispanic support in favor of him.

"If it weren't for this and other weird circumstances of this election, I don't think I'd get the Hispanic vote," Ervin said, referring to the controversial cross-over voting scandal in the run-off election between Reyes and Green.