STUDENT ISSUES AFFECTED BY RESTRUCTURING EXERCISE

by Meagan McGovern

"There's something very wrong when a UH student gives the 'hook 'em horns' sign during a football game with UT," said Russell Hruska, president of the Students' Association, during a meeting Monday to discuss current issues affecting students, as well as the impact of the restructuring on students.

Hruska and others commented on the lack of school spirit shown by UH students, as well as the problems students face, during the University Planning and Policy Council (UPPC) meeting.

"Students should take pride in this school, but pride is dependent on the experience at UH," Hruska said. "If the admissions people are rude, you're in a math class with 400 people, taught by an incompetent T.A., and you get a parking ticket after searching for a half an hour for a space, it's hard to maintain a sense of pride in your school."

Hruska said pride was an indicator of whether or not a student's needs were being met. Kevin Jefferies, director of external affairs for SA, said most students' needs were being met, but that quality was inconsistent.

Sharon Richardson, associate vice president for Academic Management and Operations, spoke about the current limited resources in student areas, including financial aid, registrars and admissions offices.

She said the Registrar's office receives between 7,000 and 17,000 walk-in visits per month, and from 6,000 to 10,000 phone calls in the same time period, with only eight people answering the phones.

She compared the amount of staff for calls received to that of a major airline, which receives a comparable number of calls but has over 70 staff members to answer the phone lines.

Parking was a big issue with students. Jefferies said students who had been surveyed listed parking as one of the big problems of campus life.

Steve Huber, chairman of the UPPC, disagreed. "Other campuses have much bigger problems with parking. At the University of Colorado, you can't even get onto the campus, let alone park. It's much worse everywhere else. At least here, there are spaces within a half mile for anyone who's willing to walk."

Jefferies agreed that perhaps other issues were as important. He said he'd talked to a student last week who said, "I'd park at TSU (about a mile from campus) if it's to go to a class that has a national reputation and will open doors for me."

The meeting opened with all UPPC members stating their opinions of what they expected from the restructuring. "We're creating a vision of the university which doesn't exist yet," said George Reiter, a physics professor.

"What kinds of values do we have?" he asked. "Why do we pay our staff as little as possible? Is that the best way to work?"

"We have a grading system which students have gotten very good at playing. We have to decide if this is the kind of game we want them to play," he said.

In background information provided by Elwyn Lee, vice president for Student Affairs, comments from students illustrated the frustrations some students currently feel, as well as some of the positive ideas students have.

"I feel that the faculty and administration here feel that students are an inconvenience, and if the faculty and administrators could function without the students, they would rather do so," writes one student on the anonymous suggestion sheet.

Another student said, "Don't waste money on football -- I'm here to learn, not to back a football team. Fire everyone in E. Cullen -- nasty bunch of people who don't seem to give a damn about the people they're supposedly serving. Parking sucks! The bookstore rapes students."

There were some encouraging comments. "I would like to say that I have a great pride in the University of Houston," a student said.

Another added, "The three years I've been studying at UH have been fun and an enormous learning experience."

*******************************************************

JURY PRONOUNCES VERDICT IN LAWSUIT AGAINST UH

by Dai Huynh

The jury reached a verdict in favor of the plaintiff in Dana King's discrimination lawsuit against two of four UH Physical Plant officials Monday.

The jury entered a judgment against Building Maintenance Manager Paul Postel and Physical Plant Director Thomas Wray. Postel is liable for $80,000 in punitive damages, and Wray is responsible for $20,000.

The jury did not find enough evidence against Physical Plant Executive Director Herb Collier and Mechanical Maintenance Foreman Robert Scott, said King's attorney, Joseph Indelicato.

However, he added, "The jury did say that there is a management problem."

King, 41, a former Physical Plant plumber, filed suit against UH and Physical Plant officials in May 1990 for alleged criminal activities and gross occupational harassment, including death threats.

King's suit alleged that he was wrongfully fired for his participation in a UHPD investigation of missing university properties.

King voiced his approval with the jury's decision and hopes "this will make it better for everybody (who works at UH).

"It's a shame that it came to this. We're all human beings. If I live to be 100 years old, I can't understand how one can hurt another," he added.

Indelicato said, "Hopefully, this will right some of the wrongs or bring attention to some of the wrongs that are going on in the Physical Plant."

Although King's case against UH officials concluded after almost two years in litigation, his lawsuit against the university is still in the works.

Three causes of action against the university will be filed by King with the state court in about 60 days, including breach of contract, wrongful termination under the Worker Compensation Act and wrongful retaliation under the Whistle Blower Statute, Indelicato said.

The original lawsuit filed in 1990 named UH as a defendant, but because it is funded by the state, the federal court had no jurisdiction over the university. Therefore, the lawsuit against the university was temporarily delayed, Indelicato said.

FESTIVALTO HIGHLIGHT HISPANIC HERITAGE

by Rhonda Smith

The continual drizzle didn't stop Monday's opening festivities celebrating Chicano Week.

The opening events were scheduled in Lynn Eusan Park, but were moved to the covered courtyard in the University Center due to rain.

Concilo De Organizaciones Chicanas is presenting the week-long festivities recognizing Sept. 16 -- the day Mexico won its independence from Spain.

The ceremony began with the traditional Mariachi band creating a Mexican fiesta atmosphere.

Consuelo Trevino, director of campus activities, addressed the crowd and introduced the day's activities. Dorothy Caram, UH director of Affirmative Action, took the stage after Trevino and spoke on the importance of Chicano week.

The Mariachi band continued as students browsed through a small portion of art from "Drum-making from a Chicano Perspective" by Jesus Medel.

Medel's art work will be on display from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. all week at the Governor's Hall in the UC. Medel, himself, will be there most of that time.

Students also sampled a variety of Mexican cuisine sold by a multitude of UH organizations; proceeds will benefit Mexican-Americans.

The crowd also enjoyed the Mexican-style dance and costume of Ballet Folklorico Huichol. The dance troupe, adorned in an array of vivid costumes, performed several Mexican dance styles

The Blaffer Gallery will open the art exhibit "The Art of Private Devotion: Retablo Painting of Mexico" on Tuesday and will show it through Oct. 18.

History professors Emilio Zamora and Lupe San Miguel will speak about the significance of Sept. 16 at 11 a.m. Wednesday in room 323, Agnes Arnold Hall.

Also on Wednesday, guest speakers will address violence against women (6 p.m. in the Regents Room, UC). And at 7 p.m. in the Houston Room, the Mexican American Student Organization will present the play, A Woman's Work.

MASO will have speakers presenting Latinos in Politics at 1 p.m. Thursday in the UC's Parliament Room.

NEW TELEPHONES PROVIDE CRUCIAL LINE TO POLICE FROM ELEVATORS

by Melissa Neeley

In the past, someone stuck in an elevator at UH could not always be assured of immediate help.

Now, telephones that have a direct connection with campus police are being installed in every elevator on campus in case an emergency arises.

"The telephones are also accessible to people in wheelchairs; they are being placed low enough so students or faculty who are in wheelchairs can reach them easily," said Don Green, assistant director of Architecture, Engineering and Construction Services at the UH Physical Plant.

Braille instructions on how to use the telephone will also be in the elevators.

"They also have visual indicators which indicate that the telephone is making a connection with someone. If someone using the elevator is hearing impaired, he or she can tell that someone has been reached on the other end of the line and explain to them what the problem is," Green said.

"You push the button once, it rings up the police station. You can maintain a conversation with the police dispatcher. If you're stuck in an elevator or need assistance in the elevator for some reason, call them up," he said.

The police-dispatch telephones, which receive calls from people having problems in the elevators, identify the location of the call, he said.

For example, when you push the button at PGH north, it rings at the police station and is identified as the PGH north elevators.

Green said the telephones are especially important when the buildings are sparsely occupied.

If someone is working on a project late at night or on the weekend and gets trapped in an elevator, they will not have to rely on someone who just happens to walk by to get help, he said.

The telephones should be installed in all campus elevators by the end of the month, Green said.

They are ready for use in the Student Service Center, McElhinney Hall, the Science and Research One building and the Physical Plant.

"The Physical Plant has appropriated $40,000 to put the phones in, but the cost may end up being a little more than that by the time the project is finished," Green said.

"The telephones also act as a security measure in case someone is being attacked on an elevator," Green said. "If you push the button, you're immediately connected with the police to receive help."

Jokers be warned. If you press the button, you will be connected with the police department, he said.

The new telephones are not there to be played with or to see what happens when you press the button, Green warned.

Karen Waldman, director for the Center for Students with DisABILITIES, said the telephone installation was important because it provides anyone, disabled or not, with instant communication.

"If anyone is hurt on an elevator or becomes ill when riding on one, now there is a means to receive help immediately," Waldman said.

Rodger Peters, a graduate student of biology, has been stuck in elevators twice since he has been at UH, he said. Peters, who uses a wheelchair for transportation, said the telephones were useful for everyone, not only for those students with disabilities.

In 1988, Peters was stuck in an elevator for 20 minutes in Hofheinz Pavilion.

"I banged on the elevator door, and finally, somebody heard me, pulled the door open and got me out. It was kind of scary because I had to keep backing my chair against the door to make a loud enough banging noise for someone to come get me," he said.

Peters said that the telephones benefit all people since in the past, "all people could do was yell for help."

SA SESSION BEGINS WITH REP'S FUNDING PLAN

by Scherilyn Ishop

State representative Debra Danberg, D-137th district, discussed the status of educational funding and cuts at the first Students' Association meeting Monday.

Talking specifically about higher education and the tax structure in Texas, Danberg's presentation dealt with the lack of funding that's plaguing state universities.

She pointed out the injustice of spending taxpayers' money on prison reform while the state's education facilities are being neglected. According to Danberg, billions of dollars are being spent to house state prisoners.

A plan supported by Danberg consists of "equalizing up" education, a process that entails bringing the standards of poorly- funded, inner-city schools up to par with better-funded schools.

"Money is not the answer, but it counts," Danberg said. She also recounted descriptions of schools that did not have textbooks or electricity.

Education is particularly vulnerable to cuts in funding, especially colleges and universities, she said, since higher education is the largest single piece of undedicated bonds; it is subject to attack.

Danberg, who supports funding for the arts, indicated that cultural programs have a high risk of being cut in favor of other projects. She used UH-CL's dance curriculum as an example of a program that suffered because of budget cuts.

Corporate endowments are a very important source to school funding in that tuition and fees cover a small percentage of expenses.

Danberg mentioned the late UH President Marguerite Ross Barnett as essential in initiating corporate endowments.

Danberg also cited UH's commitment in educating non-traditional students.

"UH is unique among universities in Texas as far as the number of students who work their way through college and/or have families," Danberg said.

However, UH does not receive as much financial support as the University of Texas at Austin or Texas A & M.

"UH must be involved in promoting itself for corporate endowments; (SA) could serve as conduits to that," she said.

Danberg also encouraged SA to become involved in the reshaping process because it represents UH students, who often come back to the university throughout their lives. Long- lasting ties are formed here, unlike temporary bonds at UT and A&M, Danberg said.

The regular SA meeting discussed support for Danberg in order to ensure the best funding for UH.

LONG LIVE THE QUEEN!!!

CPS - The queen is dead.

Some students at Memphis State University are mourning the death of a tradition that has, in the past, both graced and tainted the university's annual homecoming festivities -- the homecoming queen.

And that's not all.

The student government senate voted against a bill that would create a "Mr. and Mrs. Spirit of MSU" after earlier voting to banish the once-coveted position of MSU homecoming royalty.

"The senate had the opportunity to make a good choice and give the students an opportunity to have a good representative. The senate chose not to do that, and now we have nothing," said Tim Cochran of the Student Government Association.

Russell Humphrey, one of the senators on the committee that submitted the new homecoming bill, said the decision to kill the tradition was a "huge disappointment."

"It's not so much that we did away with the election, but the void it has left," Humphrey said.

The break with tradition will also affect homecoming festivities for alumni, Cochran said. "I think they see homecoming as a tradition that sort of creates a link between the students and the alumni. I think that without that, it's going to be a huge deterrent."

UH TO HOST HISPANIC WRITERS CONFERENCE

by Veronica Guevara

Arte Publico Press, the oldest publisher of Hispanic literature in the U.S., will be hosting a Hispanic literature conference and writers' festival Nov. 19-21 at UH.

The event will be a joint conference discussing the recovery of U.S. Hispanic literary heritage and 20 years of The Americas Review.

Topics to be covered include: "Recovering, Preserving and Making Accessible U.S. Hispanic Literature," "The Politics and Contradictions of Canonization," "Hispanic Literature and National Identity," "Class, Race and Gender," and "The Application of Technology to the Recovery, Preservation and Distribution of U.S. Hispanic Literature."

As part of the 20th anniversary celebration of Arte Publico Press' literary journal, The Americas Review, a series of panel discussions and literary readings are scheduled.

Many of the authors published by Arte Publico Press will be taking part in the conference: Roberta Fernandez, Lionel Garcia, Nicholas Mohr, Alejandro Morales, Elias Miguel Munoz, Floyd Salas, Virgil Suarez, Judith Ortiz Cofer, Rima de Vallbona, Evanglina Vigil-Pinon, Victor Villasenor and Silviana Wood.

In conjunction with the conference will be an exhibit, "25 Years of Hispanic Literature in the U.S.," at M.D. Anderson Library. Roberta Fernandez, author of Intaglio, a Novel in Six Stories and Spanish professor at UH, is the curator of the exhibit, which will be on view from Nov. 2 to Jan. 14, 1993.

The conference is made possible by research grants targeting Arte Publico's national project of Recovering the Hispanic Literary Heritage of the United States.

Of the $50 million in grants and research funding that UH received for fiscal year 1992, Arte Publico Press received $350,000. The Rockefeller Foundation contributed the larger part of this sum with a $270,000 research grant, which is part of the foundation's 10-year commitment to the national project for Recovering the Hispanic Literature of the United States.

Teresa Marrero, the Arte Publico recovery project coordinator, said the recovery project shall focus on implementing six programs: an on-line data base, a periodicals recovery program, a consortium of Hispanic archives, grants-in-aid and fellowships for scholars, a publishing consortium and conferences and dissemination of information.

The majority of Arte Publico Press' sales come from colleges, high schools and grammar schools at the local, state and national levels, buying books to be used as texts, reports Marina Tristan, assistant director of Arte Publico. Tristan said the rest of Arte Publico's publications are sold to libraries, individuals and retail stores.

"It's convenient and wonderful having Arte Publico on campus," said Maria Gonzales, English professor at UH. Gonzales exclusively uses Arte Publico books in her Mexican-American literature class.

The conference's events will be held primarily at the Parliament and Regents conference suites at the University Center. Evening events on Friday and Saturday, however, are scheduled to take place at the Dudley Auditorium in the Fine Arts Building.

Admission to the conference, Friday night's cultural event and exhibit is free. The Saturday night cultural event featuring a reading by Victor Villasenor and a one-woman performance titled "And Where Was Pancho Villa When You Really Needed Him," by Silviana Wood has a $4 admission fee.

Co-sponsoring the event with Arte Publico and the Rockefeller Foundation is the Texas Committee for the Humanities, M.D. Anderson Foundation, Southwestern Bell, AT&T and the Friends of the UH Libraries.

VIDEOTAPES REVEAL POLICE CRUELTY AT HEATED REPUBLICAN CONVENTION

by Amey Mazurek

A panel recently convened to watch videotapes and listen to eye-witness reports of the August 17 police action near the Astrodome in which six ACTUP (AIDS Coalition to Unleash Power) activists were arrested.

ACTUP activists and witnesses at the Republican Convention demonstration watched the taped replay of several bystanders being injured by riot police wielding batons.

The panel, comprised of lawyers and concerned citizens, met in the Thurgood Marshall School of Law at TSU. It was organized in part by the ACLU and presided over by Ray Hill, founder of the Houston Human Rights League and co-founder of the Gay & Lesbian Political Caucus.

According to ACTUP organizers Andrew Edmundson and Paul Mullan, about 2000 people participated in a protest march that began about 6:45 p.m. in Hermann Park and ended when riot police charged protestors on foot and horseback about 8:35 p.m. near the intersection of La Concha and North Stadium Drive.

"Toward the beginning of the march, the police seemed very willing to work with us," said Andrew Edmundson, one of the organizers of the march. "When we reached the Astrodome, we were penned in."

Protestors were surrounded by "cops in helmets with plastic visors, billy clubs, two ranks (lines of police), plus horseback -- it was very intimidating," he said. "It created an atmosphere of tension."

According to Edmundson, a Bush effigy was burned. Riot police on horseback moved calmly through the crowd to join the two lines of police near the gate. Then a "Bush AIDS flag," an American flag design with skulls-and-crossbones for stars, was burned while a "die-in" was staged. The "die-in" involved people lying on the ground as if dead, while a protestor on a megaphone went through a "roll call" of the number of AIDS deaths in each state.

The police on horseback, swinging their nightsticks, moved in on the protestors, Edmundson said. Several witnesses saw a girl trampled by a horse. About 800 protestors fled into a nearby field to avoid being beaten, and many ran up to a quarter-mile away to avoid danger.

"I saw a woman being beaten in the field," witness Nancy William said. "I got the impression of all these nightsticks swinging in the air."

"I've participated in protest marches for 30 years," she said. "I've never seen officers act like that -- there was one looking like he was enjoying what he was doing. For the first time, I was frightened for my life."

Francis Sommer, who has Tourette's Syndrome, was among the first protestors to be arrested. After she was put in the police van, she felt the handcuff hurting her wrist and requested that it be loosened. She stood up to show a policeman how tight it was. He threatened to hog-tie her if she didn't sit down. She didn't sit down.

"As they attached ankle cuffs to the handcuffs," Sommer said, "they let out a steer-roping yell ... a sort of 'yee-haw!'. . . as if they really enjoyed this tying-up somebody."

Another witness, Phil Bergeron, estimates that 50 or 60 protestors were beaten by riot police, and that they chased and beat people for about 10 minutes. He described the situation as "brutal."

CAMPUS SAFETY UNRELATED TO LOCATION

CPS - While there is no way to be completely safe on campus, experts in campus security said there are measures a student can take to minimize the threat of crime. They also stressed that the school setting -- rural, urban or suburban -- doesn't matter in terms of crime: It can happen on any campus.

Bill Whitman, director of The Campus Safety and Security Institute, gives these tips:

*Open your own checking account, preferably at a hometown bank, and don't take a lot of cash with you to school. Most schools will cash your checks, he said, and it's not a good idea to have a large amount of money in your dorm or fraternity or sorority house.

* Consult with your roommate and decide who will provide common items; don't double up on such equipment as stereos and televisions. Engrave your driver's license number on all equipment.

* Don't take valuable jewelry with you to school.

* Lock your door, even if you're going down the hall for just a minute. That minute can add up to an hour, which is more than enough time for someone to take something from your room.

* Put your name somewhere in your textbooks other than the front and back; Witman suggests an inside page near the spine. Books are stolen all the time, he said, and several students have been arrested trying to sell the books to bookstores.

* Don't leave valuables out in the open.

* If you go out at night, let someone know where you're going. If your school has an escort service, use it. Don't jog alone at night.

* Go to parties with a group of friends, and make sure you leave with the same group. Don't get into a situation where you are vulnerable.

* Avoid alcohol, suggests Andrea Parrot, who teaches at Cornell University. Since it is involved in almost every date rape, having a clear head will help you out of a potentially dangerous situation.

MAN DRIVES STOLEN ROTC VEHICLE INTO HPD'S HANDS

By Michica N. Guillory

Michael Williams, 30, was arrested without incident at 1:42 a.m. last Wednesday and charged with driving an unauthorized vehicle, said UHPD Lt. Brad Wigtil.

Williams, unaffiliated with UH, was arrested while driving a marked UH-ROTC van with Texas exempt license plates down the 5800 block of Cullen.

Two Houston Police Department officers noticed the van acting "suspiciously," Wigtil said.

"The brake lights came on several times, making it look like the driver was looking for something," Wigtil said.

The van, at the time of the arrest, had a cracked steering column and was missing three rows of bench seats, indicating the van had earlier been broken into.

Because Williams was not actually seen breaking into the van, he will not be charged with theft of a motor vehicle, Wigtil said.

"Maybe they needed (the seats) for parts," said the case's complainant, UH-ROTC Cpt. Leonard Forseth, assistant professor of military science.

"When HPD officers B. Roberts and B.K. McClendon made the arrest, they noticed the steering column was covered with a towel," Wigtil said. "It is what people do when they don't want cops to see the steering column is broken, or popped."

Forseth noticed last Monday that the van was missing from lot 15C at 5 p.m., though it was in the lot at 8:30 a.m. when he arrived that morning.

Forseth filed the report the next day with UHPD.

"After he made the report, we entered the license plate number into the Texas Crime Information Center's computer, which is how the two Houston officers verified the van was stolen," Wigtil said.

Repairs to the van, a beige 1982 Chevrolet Beauville, will cost about $250, Forseth said.

In an attempt to deter any further theft or damage to their vehicles, ROTC will be parking some of their vehicles in lot 12C near the police station.

"It's the only other option we have left. There's not much else we can do; there are UH cars all over this campus." Forseth said. "We have parked another of our vehicles there before; maybe being near the police station will keep people away."

In addition to the stolen vehicle, Forseth noticed last Thursday that another UH-ROTC van had been broken into.

The second van, a 1984 version of the same make and model, had a severely damaged steering column and a broken vent window -- the small triangular window next to the side view mirror, Wigtil said.

"They almost knocked the steering wheel right off," he said.

Currently, there are no suspects, and UHPD is hoping to develop further evidence from fingerprints left at the scene.

NEW BOOK EXPLORES NICETIES OF SEX

CPS - Four undergraduate students at Emory University have just published "Sexual Etiquette 101," which they hope will become required reading for college students this year.

The authors of the pocket-size guide were led in their efforts by chief author Robert A. Hatcher, M.D., a professor of gynecology and obstetrics at the Emory University School of Medicine.

The book is intended to educate college students about sexuality, contraception, preventing date rape, and sexually transmitted diseases such as AIDS and chlamydia.

"Since sexual interactions tend to be private, there is an assumption that we do not need rules about thoughtfulness and respect for others in this area," the book says. "This could not be further from the truth."

Deborah Cates, a junior at William and Mary College, worked on the project this summer while attending a summer program in family planning and sexuality at Emory.

"I wrote the 10 rules of sexual etiquette," said Cates, whose book will be sold on college campuses and used as a textbook for wellness classes.

Cates' rules are as follows: "Be sure sexual activity is consensual," "No means no," "In sexual situations always be thinking ahead," "Be aware of your and his/her alcohol and drug intake," "Be prepared," "Communicate openly," "Share responsibility in a sexual relationship," "Respect sexual privacy," "Don't sexually harass individuals," and "Be considerate of others."

TEACHERS REQUIRE PROPER ATTITUDE TO NURTURE STUDENTS

by Karen Snelling

"We need an attitude," Debbie Haley said at "Hope for America's Schools," a national conference on school reform held on September 11 and 12 in the University Center.

Haley explained in a focus group titled "Processes to Identify Outcomes and Standards for Students" that teachers needed to demand respect because they are professionals in their occupations.

If teachers demand more respect, society will treat them with more, she said.

Other focus group participants agreed and said teachers should acquire attitudes that they are proud to be teachers.

The group also discussed ways to reform teacher training.

What's most important in improving teaching is to "help teachers develop a knowledge base," said Valerie Sheppard, director of secondary schools in Fort Bend Independent School District.

Fort Bend I.S.D. conducted several training programs such as teacher exchanges, where experts in specific fields advise teachers on subject matter/teacher seminars and principal training.

Since 1988, the district moved away from an extremely structured curriculum that spelled out what teachers could teach every six weeks to a more collaborative system, she said.

For example, teachers with certain expertise would make recommendations to administrators on various curriculum needs for each subject. "We've set aside some time for teachers to work together," she said.

James Becker, department head of Teacher's Education at Western Kentucky University, said education reform must include responding quickly to individual teachers and giving them long- term coaching.

"We've trained teachers to be technicians," he added, but teachers should have the freedom to be more creative.

Marcy Jarvis, principal at Smokey Hill High School in Cherry Creek, Co., talked about creative interview questions she asks of those applying for a teaching position.

An applicant is asked if the school experienced a major budget cut the next year, and teachers could purchase only three items for their class, what would they buy? Jarvis said she looks for original answers, such as a Spanish teacher requesting a subscription to a magazine from Chili or posters to make the students feel more welcome, instead of typical answers, such as textbooks or overhead projectors.

The Texas Educators in the group agreed that Texas can't afford this luxury of interviewing because of a teacher shortage.

Another area of reform involves the changing of parents' attitudes about education. Educators in the group concluded that parents must first feel school is important.

Parents must get involved with their children's schooling, said Jo Berman, a teacher at O'Farrell Community School in San Diego, Ca.

She said this includes coming to the school, visiting their children and attending school charity and social events.

If parents become active, they will show their children a positive attitude about school, she said.

Educators also discussed other areas of reform, such as goal- setting and teaching social values.

This conference was sponsored by the Charles Stewart Mott Foundation, Tenneco Inc., The Houston Chronicle, Consulate-General of Japan in Houston, and Malaysia's Ministry of Education.

WOMAN ATTACKS POLICE WITH MACHETE WHEN LAW OFFICER INTERRUPTS HEIST

CPS - A woman who broke into the chancellor's mansion at the University of California at Berkeley was shot and killed when she charged at a police officer with a machete, campus police said.

The 19-year-old woman, known as Rosebud Abigail Denovo, was shot three times after she attacked the officer early Aug. 25 inside the home of Chancellor Chang-Lin Tien.

Police responded when a burglar alarm went off in the house.

The chancellor and his wife, Di-Hwa, were not injured. They locked themselves in a bathroom during the altercation.

In her purse, the woman carried a note that demanded a halt to the construction at People's Park, a protest site since the 1960s.

Denovo was an activist who had protested the university's plans to build recreational facilities at the park, saying it would displace homeless people living there.

Tien released a statement urging the campus to remain calm, and praised the University of California police for their quick response.

"This morning's tragic event was an isolated incident. Today we regret the death of a troubled young woman," Tien said. "Sadly enough, we live in a society where public figures are subject to attack at times."

EDUCATORS DISCUSS NEW TECHNIQUES, LONG-TERM GOALS ON TCUSP PANEL

by Karen Snelling

Improving American schools requires efforts from everyone panelists on "Perspectives on Reform," concluded Saturday.

Four renown educators described their ideas and hopes for American schools in the year 2000.

Reform in education should be a collaboration of all people to improve schools, not just teachers, College of Education Dean William Georgiades said.

William Smith, associate commission of the U.S. Department of Education, agreed with Georgiades and said that fed government should strive to get everybody at the state and local level concerned about American schools.

"It will be a slow and delicate process and the only way it's going to be achieved is for people to come together and agree that there is, in fact, a need to take action," he said.

Increasing teacher training and developing more curriculum are the best ways to change the current school system, he said.

People need to look at education's mission-what its goals are now-and vision what it wants to become, he said.

He also suggested teachers view school in a new light, not as a classroom with kids, but as a functioning organization.

"Make your haste slowly," he warned in conclusion. Education reformers should use care making their decisions, he said.

Sonia Hernandez, Director of Texas Education and Policy Division, spoke next and informed listeners what the states' role in education was.

State education legislators have a tough balancing act between desires from the state capital and the local level, she said. The state capital has a view that schools not functioning properly need more regulatory laws to structure their activities, she said, but local educators believe the state should just allocate money to the schools and let them do what they know best.

She said the trend of the 90s is for government to decrease regulation and give the local level more control, and for the state to evaluate students' achievement instead of evaluating whether teachers are fulfilling every detailed rule.

She asked that people don't lost faith in state government but "help give us guidance so we do the right thing."

Ernesto Cortes, director of the Texas Industrial Area Foundation also stressed that education reform is everyone's job.

Learning begins in the home, not in the school, he said, as he described two kinds of power. Absolute power is the power of administration and it is corruptive, he said, but relationship power is power of parents, peers and community. If people don't use relationship power, education can't change, he said.

He also said that people will have to make concessions to change the education system. If they don't, school issues will have to be decided in court or by physical fighting, and this is undesirable, he said.

Finally, reform should include teaching and challenging students to be responsible and make decisions for themselves, he said.

The final speaker, Ramon Cortines, former Superintendent of San Francisco Unified School District, also maintained the importance of everyone's involvement in education reform.

"Reform demands participation of all," he said.

The first teachers are the parents, he said, and the other teachers are professionals in the business community. "Everybody in the community is an educator," he said.

"The reform movement is not a reform movement that will make it easy for us," he said, for it will be a harder road to follow. But it is necessary because it's for our children.

WAYWARD ELEPHANT STYMIES EDUCATORS AS THEY SEEK DIRECTION FOR UNCERTAIN FUTURE

by Katherine Bui

The elephant came to UH on Sept. 11 when Edward B. Fiske, former education editor of the New York Times and author of "Smart Schools, Smart Kids," rounded out the first general session of the "Hope for America's Schools" conference with several prominent questions about the vision of education.

Fiske set a context of observing the elephant, the vision of education, by asking an audience of educators where the system was going.

The journalist said that when A Nation at Risk was published in 1983, a wide variety of concerns were overlooked. The report was published by the National Commission on the Influence of Education and left American educators saying the system is in a state of despair.

The report inspired reforms such as the addition of tests, increased teachers' wages and a tighter curriculum. Five years later, a group of White House officials and journalists, including Fiske, looked at the accomplishments of the restructuring after A Nation at Risk and discovered there had been no progress.

"Kids at the end of the 80s were not performing any better than the kids at the beginning of the 80s. The problem was that A Nation at Risk had no new ideas in it," Fiske said.

The presentation turned to questions of current directives, such as how to go back and design a new system.

The new approach, as explained by Fiske, would be based on decentralization with emphasis on relationships between students, teachers, parents, etc; on respect for student diversity; on providing necessary time for learning; and on results rather than process, bureaucracy, and rules.

The writer also discussed having different "elephants" rather than just one, piecing the methods together and devising objectives to meet the needs.

Fiske reported that the conference would provide a forum for these discussions in the horizontal communication effort of talking to people from different areas.

"It's an exciting time for journalists like me, to record and observe the changes. Certainly, it's an exciting time for you all who must fight in the trenches," Fiske said.

The questions provoked mixed reactions from audience members who were posing questions of their own.

Lynn Laverly, a professor from the University of South Florida, said, "I think we need to consider between making a total change vs. making a piecemeal change."

"I think there are still many excellent things going on now. There are pockets of excellence. Why must we make the past system out to be all bad," said Neal Berger, who also came from the University of South Florida.

BRIEFS

ATLANTA (CPS) - One out of three college women will experience some type of eating disorder while at school, Emory University Student Counseling Center Director, Joyce Jones, said.

Serious problems include laxative abuse, rigid or unneeded dieting, excessive exercise or occasional purging. Severe disorders include anorexia nervosa, or not eating, and bulimia nervosa, or binge eating and purging.

"Transitional periods -- returning to school or entering college for the first time -- are especially difficult times for students with eating disorders," Jones said. "Anytime there are difficulties with relationships or grades or career pressures, eating disorders can get out of control."

She suggests that parents and educators be aware of the prevalence of the disorders. They need to learn how to identify affected students, get the student into therapy right away and encourage them to join campus support groups dealing with disorders. Jones suggests freshmen orientation as the best time to begin educating people on campus about eating disorders,

DAYTON, Ohio (CPS) - If you pledge to a sorority or fraternity at the University of Dayton, you're automatically enrolled in "Greek 101," a five-week short course on contemporary student issues.

New pledges discuss multiculturalism, AIDS, gender issues, drug and alcohol awareness, motivation and delegation with leaders of the Panhellenic and Interfraternity Councils.

"It's making a difference," said Melissa Timson, coordinator of Dayton's Greek Life. "They are getting rid of their 'Animal House' image. And we only give the information out once, rather than to 24 different organizations."

Timson noted that Greek life is experiencing a comeback on many campuses.

"In the '60s and '70s, people were not very pro-Greek. Then in the early to mid-80s, many schools did away with the Greek system," Timson said. "I think the image is getting better, but it's hard to judge."

CHESTER, Pa. (CPS) - The first step in succeeding at college is taking responsibility for your life, says a Widener University official.

In a speech to incoming freshmen and their parents this year, Andrew Bushko, dean of freshman studies, gave tips on how to make a successful transition from high school to college.

The freshman year is the most important academically, he said. "If you are successful the first year, you likely will graduate. If you are not successful, your academic future is in doubt."

Among his advice:

*Your first responsibility is to be a successful student. You are responsible for your education. This means attending classes, doing assignments on time and understanding that out-of-class work takes much time.

* Get enough rest. You can't do your best if you're tired.