FACULTY PROTEST UH SYSTEM PAY RAISES

by Veronica Guevara

Faculty Senate members, still fuming over the UH System's pay raises in September, vow not to let the issue die.

Steve Huber, faculty senator and president of the University Planning and Policy Council, took issue with the way the UH System raises were "sneaked" into the budget.

"How can they (UH System) talk about saving money when they haven't begun to argue the issues seriously," Huber asked during the Faculty Senate meeting Wednesday afternoon in the Farish Kiva Hall.

The UH System refers to the raises of 5 to 34 percent given to various staff members in September as "reclassifications."

The UH faculty raises have been capped at 3 per cent, with no merit components, because of the state's $4 billion higher education budget shortfall for currently- funded services.

Faculty Affairs Committee Chairman Ernst Leiss, who sees deliberation on the reshaping exercise as having a "cutting aspect," believes the pain of restructuring should be shared equally by the UH System, administration and faculty.

Leiss proposed that he and his committee work on a resolution against the UH System's raises.and present it at the next Faculty Affairs Committee meeting.

This resolution would be presented on the Faculty Senate floor during their next meeting on Wednesday, Oct. 21.

Huber voiced the sentiments of the senators when he said there would be "some support" for such a resolution.

UH President James Pickering, guest speaker at the meeting, emphasized communication as he reviewed the information on reshaping.

Pickering stressed that quality was the primary goal of the restructuring process.

The state's budget shortfall puts public institutions of higher learning "on notice," Pickering said. He added that "ominous legislative signs" point to permanent reductions of state funds for higher education.

*******************************************************

DEMOCRATIC POLITICIAN PROPOSES NATIONAL HEALTH CARE PROGRAM

by Channing King

If Democratic candidate Richard Konrad has his way, Americans will no longer have to worry about quality health insurance.

Speaking Wednesday at the UC, Konrad, running for the 22nd congressional district, espoused health-care reform and dismissed proposals for "less government."

Konrad, an English professor at TSU, is running against Tom DeLay, an eight-year Republican incumbent in the House of Representatives.

"I'm mainly concerned that the system we have wastes lots of money. We pay big money for insurance and then the government pays big money to cover those people who aren't covered," Konrad said.

He proposed a single-payer, national health care program modeled after Canada's insurance plan, where provinces administer aid provided jointly by the federal government and the provinces.

According to Konrad, the program could save the United States $200 billion a year.

The General Accounting Office, an independent federal agency, disagrees with that figure. In June, 1991, the GAO reported that implementation of the Canadian system would result in only a $67 billion savings in administrative costs.

Economics Professor Andrew Austin said, "You'll want to treat that figure with caution. The

Canadians do not keep as much information as the United States."

"It will solve the problem of the uninsured, but the queues might be another problem. People may have to wait for treatment," he said.

Konrad said he was encouraged by the reception people have given his proposal. "I don't have to talk long," he said, "to convince people we need this health care policy."

He said the policy makes the people feel more assured of their medical care; however, he admitted that the program would be expensive and would require limits.

Konrad said people should realize problems will still exist if the government removes itself from daily life.

"With a large organization, you need a bureaucracy to do complex things," he said.

Konrad described his campaign as an "uphill battle against an incumbent of old politics."

'"It's going very well, day to day, and I feel very good about what I have done. There has to be a lot of spreading of the word for me to win, though."

He expressed satisfaction with his grass-roots, door-to-door campaigning.

"We don't have an institutionalized way to acquaint people with the candidates," he added.

BACKPACK THEFT ALL TOO COMMON OCCURENCE

Ask yourself how often you've needed to step out of a room or just go to the restroom really quickly and not feel like taking your bags.

Instead, you ask the total stranger next to you, "Can you watch this for a minute?"

Next, ask yourself if they honestly give a hoot about your backpack and if they are really going to fight for your belongings should someone decide to take them.

Now consider this. There is an excess of 33,000 students on this campus, and the fraction of people you know and trust at UH is probably very small.

In addition to the students, there are faculty and staff to consider. And don't neglect the fact that people not affiliated with UH cut across our campus every day.

Then why leave your backpack or purse lying around assuming that no one will take it?

According to daily police bulletins, every week this semester, someone has filed a report with UHPD claiming their backpack was stolen.

In addition to the backpacks, there are purses, dufflebags, books and wallets stolen.

"Though it might be inconvenient, take your books with you," UHPD Lt. Brad Wigtil said. "Or use a buddy system (with a friend), so someone can watch your books while you're gone."

The top two campus spots where thefts occur are M.D. Anderson Library and the UC, Lt. Wigtil said.

Other theft locations this semester are Moody Towers, Garrison Gym, the UH Hilton and Student Services, according to the crime bulletins.

Generally, 95 percent of the thefts are on campus and 5 percent are off campus, Wigtil said.

"Arrest statistics for all campus offenses show 80 percent to 75 percent are committed by visitors, 15 percent to 10 percent are committed by students and the remaining 5 percent are committed by faculty and staff," Lt. Wigtil said.

"Of the stolen items, 30 percent to 50 percent are recovered" he said. "They are found shortly after the the theft and will be empty of the valuable items."

Papers, notebooks and calculators are some items left behind.

Anything that has a value or can be marketed will be taken.

UHPD encourages students to keep identification in their backpack or on the items themselves.

"Because books are sometimes sold back to the bookstores, students should put their names in them," Lt. Wigtil said.

However, he suggests putting your name on a certain page of all books so they can be identified if they are sold back. Also, front pages are sometimes ripped out.

"It helps us to make a case against the person who sells the book back," Lt. Wigtil said.

UHPD also suggests not carrying large amounts of money or credit cards in wallets, purses and backpacks.

IT'S A TOUGH DECISION TO SHOULDER - WHICH BOOK BAG IS BEST

by Kristine Fahrenholz

After the early semester rush, the question of how to carry books and supplies surfaces.

The answer lies within the individual and is based on his or her various needs. Choosing a carrying case for books is an important task, much like choosing a comfortable pair of shoes.

Durability and special space requirements are a plus in deciding which type of carry-all is best, said Barbara Stewart, chair of the Department of Human Development and Consumer Sciences.

Approximately 20,000 students use the UH Bookstore daily, and between 12,000 and 13,000 of them check in backpacks. Others drop off various bags, briefcases and books, said Jerry Maloney, bookstore manager.

He said the store sells 600 to 700 backpacks a semester.

"My backpack keeps all my things together," freshman Daniel Sanderson said.

There are four points to remember when choosing a backpack: size, shape, straps and material, said Jen-Gwo Chen, assistant professor of industrial engineering.

"Some hiking backpacks are not designed to carry books, (and when) used for books can cause problems to the shoulders," he said.

The shape of the backpack should be designed to carry books and supplies efficiently, he said.

The backpack should be sized right because if it is too large people tend to carry too many items, thus making the pack too heavy, he said.

"Wide straps with cushions are important, as is the adjustability of the straps. Narrow straps can hurt the shoulders," Chen said.

Other features to consider include: a padded back, padded shoulder straps, top-carry handles, adjustable waist belts, decorative designs, leather bottoms, drawstrings instead of zippers and specialized compartments.

Backpacks come in a wide range of colors. "Though natural earth colors remain popular, this year's colors are richer than last year's muted tones.

Some of the more popular colors include purple varieties, such as eggplant, plum, majestic purple; greens include jade and mallard," said Jennifer Freeman, marketing communications manager at JanSport.

"When children begin school, they are taught to carry their packs on both shoulders, but as they get older, they learn that it is trendy to wear it on only one shoulder," Chen said.

Students may opt for tote bags, large purse bags, duffel bags and overnight bags if backpacks are unsuitable for their needs.

"I alternate carrying a large purse bag and a backpack. On the days that I have classes requiring extra equipment, I carry a large purse bag because it is bigger and more convenient for the items I carry. When I just carry books, I use a backpack," said Nancy Sarnoff, radio and television senior.

STUDENTS BOYCOTT U. OF WISCONSIN BOOKSTORE AFTER LESBIAN DISMISSED

MADISON, Wis. (CPS) -- Gay, lesbian and other student activists at the University of Wisconsin are boycotting a bookstore after a lesbian employee was fired in May.

Lois Corcoran, who worked as an administrative assistant at the University Book Store, filed a complaint with Madison's Equal Opportunity Commission, saying she was fired because she is a lesbian.

John Epple, president of the store, did not return telephone calls to comment on the case. The bookstore is not officially affiliated with the school, but is the closest bookstore to campus, said Sara Oppenheimer, the campus news editor with the Daily Cardinal, a campus newspaper.

Charles Squires, who is co-president of the Ten Percent Society, the school's gay, lesbian and bisexual student organization, said the boycott so far has been "fairly successful." School began Sept. 2, and activists picketed the store during registration and the first week of classes, Squires said.

"Our campus has 4,000 to 5,000 gay and lesbian students, and it is atrocious that the place discriminates so blatantly," he said. "It's really demeaning."

The boycott has the support of the Wisconsin Student Association, said Amy Friedman, speaker of the Senate. The association represents the school's 43,000 students. "We supported the boycott due to a strong show of support of the student population," Friedman said. "When we have civil rights violations we should support our students."

Most students should be able to purchase textbooks at other book stores, Friedman and Squires said.

The student government is not directly involved in the boycott, but is giving out information to students and organizations who want to participate. "I hope it's short, and comes to a compromise," she said.

CORRECTIONS

In the Sept. 16 issue of the Daily Cougar, the headline on the UHPD update story from page 9 should have read, "Assault suspect to plead 'not guilty'; accuser testifies on tape."

In the same issue's front page, lead story, "UH may pay $100,000 in discrimination case," the stated charges of breach of contract, wrongful retaliation and wrongful termination were not thrown out. These charges were not in the court's jurisdiction and will be heard at a later date.

RON STONE TO RAISE FUNDS FOR COMMUNICATION SCHOOL

by Joyetta D. Johnson

The School of Communication Advisory Council met in the UH Hilton Wednesday to brainstorm fund-raising ideas.

Council chairman and former KPRC-TV anchor Ron Stone said, "The School of Communication's goal is to use the funds to make communication students the best nationwide and to make them professional assets to the business world."

UH President James Pickering said he was excited about Stone's recent appointment to head the council. He said the 1,400 undergraduate communication majors are fortunate to have Stone to guide them.

"These are uncertain times for higher education throughout the country," Pickering said. "We need friends to help in a variety of ways -- ways which include money."

The School of Communication is part of UH's Creative Partnerships Campaign, which includes 23 departments and programs.

The CPC is trying to raise $350 million to fund the departments.

"This is not just a fund- raiser," said Kenneth Short, director of the School of Communication. "It's an effort to better train communication students and to help them learn what's going on in the business community.

"Over the last two years, we have made big contacts with people in the business. To better serve their needs, we need to know what they expect so that we can prepare our students.

"We want Houston to invest in its own future by investing in our students."

Short said the funds will support visual multimedia labs and communication disorder clinics.

Donors include corporations, foundations, alumni and individuals.

SPEECH COMMEMORATES MEXICAN INDEPENDENCE

by Claudia Gutierrez de Velasco

Mexico's liberation from Spain was commemorated Wednesday with a lecture by Emilio Zamora and Lupe San Miguel of the UH history department.

The lecture began with a historical background of the significance of Sept. 16, given by Zamora.

That date represents the beginning of a movement for independence known as "Grito de Dolores," from Spain in Mexico, in the village of Dolores in the state of Guanajuato. Zamora said the movement began as a social revolution.

"In this country, the movement was more than an independence movement; it was a political movement to establish relations with the mother country and create an independent nation. In Mexico, that was also sought," he said.

Father Hidalgo, the village priest, was motivated by a desire to change society radically. The only problem was the Mestizos, products of Spanish and Indian blood. This population was in power from the 1520s to the 1820s, Zamora said.

"What Father Hidalgo initiated in his mind was primarily a social revolution. The "Cry of Dolores" called for death to all "gachupines." The claim for independence was not just a claim for political independence but independence from social condition," he said.

Father Hidalgo and Jose Maria Ortiz de Dominguez, very important leaders for the Mexican nation and particularly for Mexican women, were in an illegal organization in which they had to meet secretly, Zamora said.

This organization was a movement against colonial government. On Sept. 15, during their regular meetings, Dominguez came in to inform the people that the conspiracy had been discovered, he said.

At that point, Father Hidalgo had decided to go ahead and make the call to the Mexicans to join the armed movement against the established authority and society.

On Sept. 16, Father Hidalgo announced the beginning of the social revolution. Thousands of Indians and Mestizos were armed with machetes, slings, bows and arrows and joined the army on its march to Mexico City.

Father Hidalgo feared he had unleashed a war of termination against the Spaniards. This fear caused Father Hidalgo to call for a retreat. The army could have taken all of Mexico City.

The movement continued, and both Father Hidalgo and Father Morelos were captured and executed.

The "creollos," full-blooded Spaniards, from the colony who had their own concerns about the way Spain was running the colony, assumed leadership over the movement, Zamora said.

The movement became a political movement for independence, he said. The creollos believed in this movement, and in 1821, they declared independence from Mexico.

"People in Mexico have been celebrating this day for years. The Mexican president initiates the official ceremony with a speech and the illusion to a democratic principle," Zamora said.

San Miguel gave a speech about the importance of education among Mexican-Americans. Education was viewed as an instrument of nobility and assimilation, he said.

During the 1960s, schools mistreated Mexican students through discrimination and segregation, San Miguel said. They were put in separate schools or in separate rooms.

"Mexican-Americans had to challenge the myth that they did not support education," San Miguel said.

UH STUDENTS VOLUNTEER TO HELP POOR, SICK, AND ELDERLY

by Heather Wolk

In an attempt to recruit students' aid for Houston's homeless and volunteer services, representatives from various city-wide programs gathered in the UC World Affairs Lounge Wednesday.

Sponsored by the Metropolitan Volunteer Program, the event attracted approximately 100 students looking for potential volunteer opportunities.

"This is a semesterly project geared to interest students in helping those less fortunate," said Shannon Bishop, MVP coordinator.

Among the groups represented were the Lighthouse of Houston, the Bristow Center and Sheltering Arms.

Sheltering Arms is a United Way organization servicing the elderly by helping them function in their homes. Margaret Hood Black, coordinator of volunteer programs, said that loneliness and isolation are the elderly's greatest fears.

"Our typical client is 75-year-old, female and living alone in low-income areas," Black said. "And we want to help them live with some sense of dignity."

Sheltering Arms also provides a service titled Telephone Reassurance, which is a daily phone call to check on the well-being of an elderly person.

It has volunteers who make monthly visits and weekly phone calls to provide companionship for the elderly.

Another arm of the program, Adopt-A-Grandparent, allows volunteers to welcome an elderly person into a family to assist in household chores and shopping.

The Lighthouse of Houston is aimed at aiding the blind and visually impaired with a wide variety of services, which include providing job placement programs, vocational and industrial training and counseling.

The organization also displayed some of the necessary equipment a visually-impaired person might need, such as talking clocks and Braille watches. To help students relate to those visually-impaired, goggles, which simulated various visual impairments, were handed out to students to wear.

The Bristow Center, a long-time participant of the MVP, serves as a drop-in rehabilitation center for the homeless with mental illness. The center is unique because it focuses on the mentally ill.

The program takes in about 80 to 100 homeless people a day.

"We provide basic needs, such as food, clothes and shelter. We also provide a counseling service, and the intention of finding permanent shelter," said Paul Marcus, Bristol Center volunteer coordinator.

"Our goal is to make it a rehab center, fully operational, with literacy and self-esteem classes," Marcus said.

Marcus stated that approximately 40 percent of all homeless people are mentally ill.

SCHOOL'S BACK IN SESSION AND HELP IS ON THE WAY

by Brett Lindsay

Starting this week, the university's Metropolitan Volunteer Program will begin collecting money to buy supplies for needy Dade County school children. Many were left with nothing after Hurricane Andrew swept across Florida.

"We will be using the money to purchase supplies that weren't covered by insurance," said Michelle Palmer, assistant director of MVP. Supplies such as tissue paper and toilet paper are still very much in demand in south Florida.

An account with Bank One has been set up to aid in the effort, and fliers publicizing the drive are being posted around campus. "Students can mail their checks directly to the Bank One account," Palmer said.

MVP collection cans will be placed in campus cafeterias so students can donate on campus.

"They (the kids in Florida) started school three weeks late; everybody needs to think about that," Palmer said. "How would you feel if you weren't allowed to go to school?"

Lloyd Jacobson founded MVP four years ago.

"He wanted to have a way for students, faculty and staff who were interested in volunteering to be able to find agencies that could use them," Palmer said.

MVP works with a variety of organizations and agencies. "We refer several hundred students every semester," Palmer said. "The students, in turn, put in several thousand hours."

MVP also hosts projects of its own. "Every Sunday we go down to the soup kitchen (Loaves and Fishes) and help out," Palmer said.

The organization also provides tutors for nearby Austin High School and helps the YMCA with its "Y Kids are Smart" program.

MVP will continue to collect funds for several months, possibly until the end of the semester.

FALL FAVORITES

KUHF's Almanac present: A report on the politics behind the presidential debates, how steroid abuse has become the dark side of our obsession with health and fitness. Tune in 7:30 p.m. Thursday.

As Homecoming is right around the corner, so is the selection of this year's Homecoming King and Queen. Students interested in the running for King and Queen should contact Jenifer S. Zuber at 479-0014.

Students pick up your free football ticket booklets. Students with seven or more hours will receive free tickets, whereas, students taking fewer hours may purchase a season booklet for $15.00. Extra tickets may be purchased for $7.00 each.

Free shuttle bus service is provided to all ticket holders from Moody Towers beginning two hours before game time.

For the big Texas A&M game, students must pick up their ticket books by the TCU game or miss the deadline and not get a ticket.

The University of Houston School of Music will present baritone W. Stephen Smith and pianist Carol Mannen Smith in a recital of American music on Sept. 19, 7:30 p.m. in Dudley Recital Hall.

It will also present violinist Henry Rubin and pianist Timothy Hester in a faculty recital Sept. 22, 7:30 p.m. in Dudley Recital Hall.

For more details, call 743-3009.

Entertain Me

A weekend calendar of student-oriented activities

9/17 Thursday

*Campus Recruitment Workshop

-11 a.m. at the Student Service Center, Room 106.

-No charge for admission

*Resume Writing Workshop

-1 p.m. at the Student Service Center, Room 106.

-No charge for admission

*Casting Call

-Role for a female in her 20s, preferably Hispanic, in an original play written by UH faculty.

-7 p.m. in the Honors Center.

-For more information, call Dr. Monroe at 743-9007

-Scripts available in the Honors Office

*SPB Film "Orpheus"

-7:30 p.m. in the UC Pacific Room

-Admission: $1

*"Las Nuevas Tarnaleras"

-In conjunction with Chicano Week

-8 p.m. at the Cougar Den in the UC

9/18 Friday

*Sermon & Prayer sponsored by the Muslim Students Association

-1:30 p.m. at the A.D. Bruce Religion Center

-Followed by a catered lunch

*Practice Interview With Video

-10 a.m. at the Student Service Center, Room 106

-no charge for admission

*SPB Open House

-Learn what it takes to become a member.

-11 a.m. -- 2 p.m. in the UC Underground, Room 59

*Multifaceted Job Search Workshop

-1 p.m. at the Student Service Center, Room 106

-Free admission

*Houston Harpsichord Society Concert

-Mexican baroque music featured

-8 p.m. at St. Anne's Catholic Church, 2140 Westheimer

-Free admission

-For more information, call 977-4581

9/19 Saturday

*Football: UH vs. Illinois

-4 p.m. at the Astrodome

-call 743-9404 for information

*Concert: Stephen Smith and Carol Mannen Smith

-Vocal performance by School of Music faculty members.

-7:30 p.m. at the Dudley Recital Hall

-$5 general admission

-$3 admission for students, senior citizens and Friends of the School of Music

*Seventh Annual Baha'i Peace Dinner

-The program includes Judge James F. Nelson speaking about "Riots in our cities: Can the tragedy of division become unity in diversity?"

-7 - 10 p.m. at the Marriott Hotel, West Loop at San Felipe

-Tickets are $25. Call Judy Griffin at 770-1900

*Science Fiction/Fantasy Guild

-Open discussion

-10 p.m. in the PGH Breezeway

9/20 Sunday

*Old Fashioned Ice Cream Social

-Benefits the Bering Care Center, which provides services to more than 400 people infected with the HIV/AIDS virus.

-Register to win free prizes, including a year's supply of coffee from Cyrano's, a $50 gift certificate from Plantiques and gift certificates from the Black Labrador.

-From 2 - 5 p.m. at Cyrano's Coffee Roastery and Cafe, 4100 Montrose.

AUTHOR WEAVES SPELL-BINDING TALE OF SECRETS IN BEWITCHED

by Gram Gemoets

The scandals and back-stabbing innuendos on the set of America's most enchanting half-hour comedy series, <I>Bewitched <P>, are the subject of a new book. <I>Bewitched: The Cosmic Companion to TV's Most Supernatural Comedy<P> is due October 15.

When you mention <I>Bewitched<P>, people think "how cute." But the show was actually wracked with shocking scandals, author Herbie Pilato said.

Pilato's text answers questions such as how long the show ran (1964-1972) and if really Elizabeth Montgomery played Serena (yes she did).

Pilato's forte, however, is in exploring the secret side of <I>Bewitched<P>. The side the public was never supposed to know about.

"I didn't write this book to shock people, but the facts must be told. Everyone thought the show was innocent but nothing in Hollywood is that simple. The set of <I>Bewitched <P>was a literal Pandora's box; a skeleton in every closet," Pilato said.

Perhaps the most pressing subject examined is the case of the two Darrins. Pilato aptly titles this controversy the "Curse of Darrin Stephens."

Dick York, Darrin #1, was fired from the show in 1969 because a recurrent back ailment made it difficult for him to work. York died last February of a rare bone cancer stemming from his back problems. He remained bitter and broke to the end.

York's replacement, Dick Sargent, was a known homosexual who caused the studio (Screen Gems) publicity problems.

"He was very careless about his image. You can't risk having a photo of America's number-one husband emerging from a gay bar or holding hands with his boyfriend," Pilato said.

Endora was another story. Originally paid $100,000 to appear in the pilot (a huge TV salary for the time), Moorehead found herself in a legal mess.

"It seemed that by cashing the check, she agreed to appear in any of the show's future episodes if the studio picked <I>Bewitched<P> for its fall season."

"Moorehead, already famous from her decades at MGM and on Broadway, was sure that the show was too weird to work. She figured on taking the money and running," Pilato said.

To her chagrin, Moorehead found herself locked into nine seasons.

Moorehead disliked Sargent as well. As a longtime Hollywood veteran, she disapproved of Sargent's homosexual indiscretions.

"Although she wanted off the show, she didn't want any bad publicity," Pilato said.

There are many other revelations that add insight if not enjoyment for any avid <I>Bewitched<P> fan. Of special interest are the sections pertaining to the various famous guest stars, such as Peter Lawford and Cesar Romero.

Although Pilato focuses on the behind-the-scenes gossip, he also includes trivia and items less scandalous. All of this information (coupled with the book's constant shock value) makes <I>The Bewitched Book<P> an enchanting experience.

"DAPHNES AND CHLOE" KEEPS BALLET DANCERS ON THEIR TOES

By Manuel Esparza

The Daily Cougar

Delivering the elegance and precision that mortals can only dream of, the Houston Ballet opened its 1992 - 93 season.

The Houston premiere of George Balanchine's "Symphony in C" enjoyed the applause of a satisfied audience. But its light was eclipsed by "Daphnis and Chloe".

"Symphony in C" is based on a piece that Georges Bizet wrote when he was seventeen. George Balachine then built an architecture around this score for the Paris Opera Ballet in 1947. It is a work of geometry and celebration, not of story. When the curtain lifted the audience applauded the tableau vivant created by the dancers in their white tutus.

Divided into four movements, "Symphony in C" shows off the technical mastery of the dancers. Each movement has its own theme and principals.

Janie Parker and Phillip Broomhead made the second movement the highlight of the performance. Lauren Anderson and Dominic Walsh shook the Wortham Center; he with his sweeping leaps, she with her superlative dance style.

The foundation of corps dancers provided a moving backdrop while they formed geometric patterns that complemented the current movement. With the fourth movement, fifty-plus dancers filled the stage, carving a bowl in which the principals danced.

As the opener, Glen Tetly's "Daphnis and Chloe" was a prime example of less being more, at least as far as stage set-up went. The stylized woods conveyed the ethereal feeling of asking a god for advice.

The shepherd, Daphnis, is in love with Chloe. Alas, he is an inept lover (one wonders where she got her experience). Asking his half brother Pan for advice, the lovelorn lad journeys through temptation, deprivation and exasperation until finally he becomes a man.

Achieving this diversity on stage (not an easy task -- especially without words!) the company gives the classic Greek tale relevancy for today.

Phillip Broomhead performed the physically daunting task of Daphnis with flawless ease. His Chloe, Janie Parker, was equally spectacular.

This pair generates a magic that transcends stage, story and reality. Their sensual dance at the end of the show was steamier than most nighttime soaps.

The faun, performed by Li Anlin, when on stage caused all eyes to focus on him. A very strong dancer, Li makes supporting roles worth watching.

Dorkon, the other male lead, was a superb counter to Daphnis. Dorio Perez and Phillip Broomhead kept pushing each other, redefining perfection.

The troupe will perform tonight, Friday, Saturday and during the Sunday matinee. Ticket prices range from $8 - $70, with student rush tickets available.

WOODY ALLEN'S HUSBANDS AND WIVES PAINTS PICTURE OF CRUMBLING MARRIAGE

By Sally Pouncy

Art imitates life. Life imitates art. Which one of these two statements best describes Woody Allen's life right now?

Allen's new film, Husbands and Wives, has received incredible amounts of attention since he dumped his long-time love Mia Farrow for her 21-year-old adopted daughter Soon-Yi. The ensuing court/tabloid fight between Allen and Farrow sent shock waves through the entertainment industry and pumped up anticipation for the film.

In the film, Farrow and Allen play the main married couple, Gabe and Judy Roth. These two have a working relationship, but somewhere along the line lost their passions for one another. Their closest, oldest friends, Jack and Sally, come in from suburbia to have dinner with the Roths and before the cocktails can even be poured, announce they are going to separate.

Sally assures Judy it won't be permanent, but rather is just an experiment to "see what life would be like."

Sally finds out Jack has moved in with another woman. Gabe gets a crush on one of his 20-year-old students. Judy starts to think she wants to be single. Jack gets jealous of Sally's new boyfriend and thunderstorms drown New York in rain.

During one of the movie's "therapy" scenes, Gabe confesses to daydreaming about one of his 20-year-old students.

The way the film was shot announced Allens' experience like a caller at the circus. The big pay off comes in his use of hand held camera, Wayne's World zooms, and jumpy edits to give the film the flavor of home movies.

Sometimes Allen uses the camera as a participant in the conversation. For example, Gabe and his student Rain (Juliette Lewis) are having a conversation in a taxi,and he is never seen. She speaks to, around, behind, and away from him, but the camera is his point of view. Sure that's not a new technique, but it works in this film.

Over all, the film is gut- busting funny. From the character "interview" scenes to the "mid-life crisis" cure girl, Husbands and Wives is one of the few intelligently hilarious films around.

TRY THESE SPOTS FOR SIPPING, SOCILIZING OR GETTING RIPPED

by Meagan Margaret McGovern

"What am I doing here?"

" Can I avoid the cafeteria's food?"

"What's that cute cheerleader's name and would she go out with me?"

"Do I really ever have to graduate?"

These are important questions.

However, where to find the best, cheap beer may be the most pressing question on college students' minds.

There are different reasons for drinking beer, of course, and fortunately for every reason to drink exists a bar to meet those needs.

Students drink to discover which beer has the most for less. But beyond that, students drink to meet members of the opposite sex, to have a good time with friends, to listen to music, and to escape from college life altogether.

The bar that wins hands down with the all-time best beer, the cheapest beer, the best place to meet members of the opposite sex, and the best place to both socialize and just plain drink is Valhalla's.

Snug in the middle of Rice University's campus, this out-of-the-way, strange little hole-in-the-wall usually holds grad students. Valhalla's is a quiet hideaway to sit and talk -- the panelled walls are littered with liberal posters and avant-garde art, and the patrons range from elderly bearded drunks to young idealists. The best night to visit, however, is on the 13th or 26th of any month.

On these dates, members of Rice's "Thirteen Club" come to visit the bar for a quick beer -- completely naked except for shaving cream lathered over a few choice areas. On any other evening, patrons may be asked to join in for a few rounds of "frisbee golf," or invited to sing drinking songs with rowdier bar-goers.

For economy, visit on Thursdays and bring your own pitcher. Valhalla's will fill your jug for $2, regardless of size. Single drafts, including Shiner Bock, cost 50 cents.

For pure beer enthusiasts, the Gingerman is unequalled in Houston. With over 50 types of beer on tap, and over 100 beers in bottles and cans, no other bar comes close.

The Gingerman, on Morningside off of Kirby in West University, sells T-shirts bearing the Shakespearean quote, "And I will make it a felony to drink small beer." G-man caters to real beer drinkers. Be prepared to spend money, however.

The G-man sells beer by the yard --$12 for an import, $9 for a domestic. They also sell regular amounts beer, ranging in price from $2.50 to $8 or $9.

For the real alternative crowd, try Emo's on Wednesday nights. You can enjoy any bottled or draft beer, as well as drinks, for $1.25. And the crowd watching's great. The clientele, which usually fills the outdoor patio area by midnight, contains an eclectic mixture of nose and nipple rings, tattoos, short skirts, and fraternity types.

Another type of beer, only found among college students, can be had at fraternity parties. Despite recent statements that fraternities are not places for irresponsible drinking, $1 keg beer in plastic cups remains a staple of college existence. If you can find a party with a $5 cover and "all you can drink," take advantage of it.

For a more mainstream evening out, try Dave & Buster's on Richmond. This establishment, the size of an airplane hanger, is yuppie heaven. Pool tables, video games, black jack, and dancing abound. And with $2 beer, people are just there to have fun.

A survey of places to drink, however subjective, would not be complete without the local dive for students who live on campus. UBU, located across the street from UH, is packed on Thursday night with dorm students (before they all head to Valhalla's). The tiny, shabby place is a favorite spot for fraternities and sororities, and with pitchers running $4.25, cost is not a problem.

After football games, many students gather to drink on campus, in Coog's Cafe, located downstairs in the UC. Coog's, the place with the best hamburgers at UH, usually runs specials after the game. This Saturday, after the Illinois game, expect crowds to form and cheer a Cougar win or drown the sorrow of a Cougar loss.