JURY INDICTS FORMER UH DEANS; THEFT, MISUSE OF FUNDS INVESTIGATED

By Meagan Margaret McGovern

The ex-dean of the College of Hotel and Restaurant Management has been indicted on felony theft charges, and the college's ex-associate dean has been indicted for both felony theft and sexual harassment Friday.
The indictments surfaced amidst extensive investigations by both UH police and the university into sexual harassment, misuse of funds, an internal audit and a management review.
Harris County grand jurors indicted Joseph Cioch, former dean of the school, and David Hayes, former associate dean, for "inflating" their expense accounts. Hayes was also indicted for "official oppression," or sexual harassment, a misdemeanor.
Warrants were pending at press time. Cioch is to be held on $2,000 bail, Hayes on $5,000, said Richard Newby of the Sheriff's Department. Investigations remained active by Harris County at press time.
"I think it's obviously very sad. It's sad for the school and sad for the students," UH President James Pickering said. "But we're going to pick ourselves up and keep going. We will emerge stronger and better, as the whole university is undergoing change right now," he said, referring to the university-wide restructuring.
Pickering said because an internal university investigation is still ongoing, "what we say or do now should in no way compromise" the outcome of the investigation.
The deans resigned from their administrative positions in June "in the best interest of the college and the university," said Pickering in a statement at the time.
Hayes was placed on leave from his faculty duties in August, while Cioch was placed on leave Friday. They continue, however, to receive pay for their faculty duties.
As dean, Cioch's salary was $76,210, while Hayes' was $65,491. The new dean, Dr. R. Hugh Walker, took office in June.
The college has been under intense public scrutiny since investigative TV news reports aired over the summer.
Cioch and Hayes later became the subject of another investigation involving expense accounts. According to the news reports, the food and entertainment expenses for Cioch and Hayes added up to more than $85,000 in a 28-month period.
Some of the expense account receipts are being investigated for possible falsification as well. Pickering said the current university investigation, including an internal audit and a management review, continues to turn up new information. He said until Harris County completes its investigation, no further action would be taken against the former deans.
About the harassment charge, Pickering said, "We've been working to put a number of controls in place, and see what, if any, changes need to be made in the current system of reporting sexual harassment. Despite the charge against Hayes, no charges were ever filed within the university. Pickering has repeatedly called for anyone with accusations of sexual harassment to come forward and file charges.

*******************************************************

UH STUDENT ATHLETES EARNING FEW DEGREES; SCHOLARSHIP OFFERING HELP

by Phillip Baeza

A study started in the early '80s and released by the NCAA in August 1992 shows that only 6 percent of black student-athletes and 16 percent of all student-athletes who entered UH earned a degree within six years.
The statistics obtained from a study of 291 Division 1 schools for freshmen entering in 1983-84 and 1984-85 indicated UH fell well below the national average of a 51 percent graduation rate for student-athletes.
Only three Southwest Conference schools graduated their student-athletes at or above the national average: Rice, Baylor and Texas Christian.
These statistics give the SWC a black eye, adding to its already- tarnished image due to the recruiting infractions which placed UH, among other schools, on athletic probation during the mid-'80s.
The statistics may be misleading, according to Michelle Maddox, academic coordinator for student-athletes, and Ted Nance, the director of Sports Information. Both Maddox and Nance said there are many things to take into consideration that were not mentioned in the NCAA's study.
"If a student-athlete leaves school to pursue a professional athletic career, like Lamar Lathon did before he graduated, the school does not get credit for that person," Maddox said. "The NCAA opening the professional draft to underclassmen has hurt the graduation percentage of the student-athletes."
Nance feels the raw statistics do not paint a full picture of the student-athletes. "I wish everyone could graduate and we do all we can to reach that goal," he said, "but it depends on how you look at it, as just stats or how successful some of the athletes have become."
Two athletes who Nance used as examples of success despite not graduating college are basketball player Greg Anderson and footballer Andre Ware, both of whom signed multi-million dollar contracts. He also added that these two men can return to finish their degrees at any time.
Maddox and Nance both emphasized that athletes transferring out of the university into another also helps to contribute to the low graduation rate.
Just because a student has completed his athletic eligibility does not mean he cannot finish his academic degree. According to Maddox, there are several programs set up to help the scholarship student-athlete finish school.
UH has what they call the Fifth Year Scholarship for any student-athlete within 30 credit hours of completion. The program, set up by the Athletic Department in conjunction with the university, pays for the remaining 30 hours the athlete has to finish his or her degree.
The NCAA and the Center for Sports Study Research at Northeastern University both offer post-eligibility programs to help get the ex-student athlete back in the classroom, Maddox added.

RTV SENIOR COORDINATES RECENT NIGHTLINE PROGRAM

by Rhonda Smith

ABC's late-evening news program Nightline needed a Houston contact to aid in bringing the show to the city last Wednesday, so what could be better than giving the opportunity and the experience to a UH senior RTV major?
Kay Beck was surprised when she received a call from a Nightlineproducer about a week before the show and asked if she would work with them in setting up the Houston broadcast.
Of course, Beck is no stranger to the Nightline crew; her connections begin with the recent Republican convention when she was hired by ABC to be a page for the show.
It all began when Kenneth Short, director of the School of Communication, spoke to her summer school class about the opportunities of working for the convention. "Obviously, for Dr. Short's encouragement, I'll forever be grateful," Beck said.
After filling out applications, sending resumes and making numerous phone calls, ABC gave her a position.
As a page for Nightline, Beck recalls doing "anything and everything." She began with running errands like picking up lunches, running tapes to the editing room, running scripts to the anchors and answering phones.
"Literally running, putting on your tennis shoes and run," Beck describes. "Eventually, they let me actually go out and do a couple of interviews."
Evidently, Nightline liked her previous work and gave her the job of production coordinator for the Houston broadcast of the program.
When asked about her duties as production coordinator, Beck replied,"They needed a Houston contact to take care of a lot of the details before they even arrived."
Beck worked on booking guests and panel members for the broadcast. Other production details include booking limos, making hotel reservations and greeting panelists.
Beck says her job was one that required her to be highly organized, and "one little mix-up could ruin the show, literally."
Beck describes Nightline as "a large operation, and yet it's a small family at the same time. They work very closely together. Every member is an integral part of the team."

UH TO FORM TEXAS' FIRST INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY LAW MASTERS PROGRAM

by Melinda McBride

'Property of the mind' attorneys ... Houston's Intellectual Property Bar attorneys asked for them.
University of Houston law students lobbied for them.
UH's Law Center is going to try to provide them.
The Law Center's Intellectual Property Law Institute is awaiting approval for Texas' first Masters of Law (LL.M) program in intellectual property, which falls into three categories -- patent, trademark and copyright law.
The graduate program, approved by the law school last year, must now be endorsed by UH's Graduate Professional Council Studies. It then goes to Austin for accreditation.
If approved, UH's LL.M program will be one of only three IP graduate degrees offered in the United States.
"This is exactly the kind of legal program we need because of the economic implications of intellectual property law," said UH President James Pickering.
The Law Center offers nine courses in intellectual property for JD students; however, since the courses are elective, students cannot specialize during their three-year program. With an IP master's degree, graduates can enter a field where copyright industries alone are growing twice as fast as the economy.
"The whole world in the last 10 years has seen a tremendous resurgence of interest in the international aspects of patent and copyright law," said Paul Janicke, institute co-director, about the volume of trade in world business.
"Companies who sell things around the world have to pay more attention to patents and copyrights than they did before ( i.e. Polaroid's 14-year, $900 million suit against Kodak over instant photography technology).
"There's a lot more volume of world business, so that makes companies who want to sell in New Zealand, for example, pay attention to what's happening to patent laws in New Zealand," said Janicke, who worked in IP private practice for 21 years before coming to UH in January.
"The way the LL.M works is that on the job, it enables a lawyer to do more early in his career," Janicke said.
"The U.S. dominates the world in research and development, and companies are spending hundreds of millions of dollars on R. and D.," Janicke explained. Companies have to be careful not to duplicate existing work because "it can put them out of a market they spent a lot of time and money to get in."
Ten years ago, Congress created the U.S. Court of Appeals (the Federal Circuit) and gave them exclusive jurisdiction over patent appeals.
"That court has been very protective of patent rights," Janicke said. "This led a lot of companies to take a greater interest in patent activities because the court was now there to protect them."
Houston businesses like Shell Oil Co., Compact Computer Co. and Cooper Industries have international interests that demand IP attorneys, lawyers the UH Law Center hopes to provide.
Janicke gave this example: "Houston-based Baker Hughes is in the oil field equipment and services business. They're interested (in IP law) because you don't drill oil based on where the national boundary is -- you drill based on where the oil is.
"And if that happens to be in 'Country X', you need to know the laws governing that country's intellectual property."
This kind of growth and development has led people like Jim Harrison, a third-year UH law student, to reconsider his career.
"I worked as an engineer for six years then decided to go into intellectual property law because of the shortage of patent attorneys," Harrison said of his decision to leave General Dynamics.
Harrison believes the law firm he now clerks for hired him because of his background in patent law. "The electives I took definitely helped this firm make their decision," Harrison said.
"I've taken some classes that practicing attorneys haven't had, so I already see the impact of these classes," he said. Harrison feels the LL.M program will help round out his practical experience.
"If I stay in Houston, I plan on attending it," the University of Texas engineering graduate said. "The LL.M program will attract firms who want to hire attorneys to do patent work."
Pickering said he expects the graduate committee to pass the proposal and forward it to Austin by semester's end.

THREE-CAR WRECK INJURES TWO; FIRE EVACUATES LAB

A three-car accident involving a UH Cougar Patrol occurred at 6:30 p.m. last Thursday at entrance 16 near the Wortham Theater.
A small fire also occurred last Thursday in the Fleming building at 6:05 p.m. due to an accident in the chemistry lab .
The car accident, which occurred due to slippery conditions caused by rain, also involved a white Federal Express van and a 1980 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme.
According to witnesses' reports, the accident began when Cougar Patrol Lillian Franklin headed north on Cullen and turned into entrance 16, UHPD Lt. Wigtil said.
The rear of the car lost traction, careening the car into the Federal Express van driven by Annette Lovett who is unaffiliated with the university.
This left Franklin's car facing the Science and Research buildings while sitting in the entrance.
"She then somehow hit the curb which swung her car around again," Lt. Wigtil said. "This move turned the car in the direction of I-45 while the car was still in the entrance."
Her car then careened into the Oldsmobile driven by Keira Okeiff, a UH student.
"Witness then said her (Franklin's) foot must have ended up back on the accelerator because the car jumped the curb and hit a tree," Lt. Wigtil said. "That is when the major damage was done to the vehicle."
Franklin and Okeiff were both taken to Herman Hospital where they were treated and released. Lovett had no injuries and was not taken to the hospital, he said.
The cost of damages to the Cougar Patrol vehicle has not yet been estimated. "We do a vehicle damage rating," Lt. Wigtil said.
Extensive damage was done to the front end of the vehicle which is not equipped with overhead lights or a siren.
"UHPD is relieved to see both (women) were treated and released," he said.
Earlier that evening, room 23 in the basement of the Fleming Building was filled with smoke from a small fire, said UHPD Lt. Helia Durant.
A 2000 level chemistry class had an experiment involving red phosphorous which went awry.
The teacher's assistant speculated that a student placed a hot spoon back into a container of phosphorous, igniting the chemical and causing it to spew onto the floor.
The entire building was evacuated because the chemical is a strong irritant. The fire did cause minor damages to the lab, but no one was injured.

PROGRAM TO PROVIDE COUNSELING, REFFERAL SERVICES FOR SUBSTANCE ABUSERS

by Scherilyn Ishop

The Substance abuse Training and Education Programs (STEPS) began their training session with the initiation of peer-helper volunteers Friday.
The session, which focused on education and prevention, was well attended by students eager to make a difference.
"I'm thrilled with the initial response; the power is with the students, they are the ones who can create change," said Amy Wortham, coordinator of STEPS, "everyone is here for different reasons."
Students' reasons for volunteering ranged from situations stemming from personal experiences to gaining information about health and wellness.
Volunteers were given the history and philosophy behind the program and told about the prevention process.
Since drugs often affect the choices people make in their lives, the main concept of the program is to focus on healthy decision making.
If someone comes in with a problem, a quick assessment is done and a referral made; this entails services through Counseling and Testing or resources around the Houston area, said coordinator Gail Hudson.
"We advocate twelve-step recovery programs, but STEPS serves as an information and referral source, not a treatment center," she said.
The program trains volunteers to recognize problems. Volunteers did a value clarification exercise in which five different examples of lifestyle choices were given for evaluation on the basis of health.
Volunteers will go through a three tier format with level one being a volunteer who promotes principles of health and well being and assisting in the STEPS office.
Level two volunteers or Health Advocates will deal with learning communications skills, listening skills, public and impromptu speaking, handling conflict and stress and recognizing general drug use patterns and trends.
Peer Educators, the third and final level of the program, participate in trial presentations with staff members and conduct supervised follow-up workshops.
Level three volunteers must receive training in a specialized area to work on a specific topic.
The upcoming educational program, beginning in late September, is a six-week session encouraging open discussions of relationships, sexuality, HIV, date rape and other sexual health issues.
Those interested can contact Dr. Gail Hudson at 743-5455.

DISABLED STUDENTS CALL FOR MORE ASSISTANCE DURING FIRE INCIDENTS

by Melissa Neeley

Fire safety, Metro changes and making better accommodations for people with disabilities around campus were the topics focused on last Friday at the Handicapped Students Advisory Board meeting.
Students with disabilities need to volunteer their time to go around campus and see what must be done to make UH more in tune with their needs, Karen Waldeman, director of the Center for Students with Disabilities, said to the HSAB.
"Ideally, we need to find out the needs of various people with different kinds of disability," she said.
Chad McMillan, a student in a wheelchair who attended the meeting, said that some bathrooms at UH claiming to be handicapped accessible were actually not easy to use.
"They may look like they're accessible to people who don't have a disability, but you need to be an acrobat or contortionist to use them (if you are disabled)," he said.
With 600 people currently enrolled in CSD, prioritizing the needs of a variety of disabled students is crucial, Waldeman said.
Cathy McClelland, a disabled student in a wheelchair, said one of those needs is improving fire safety measures around campus, with special emphasis on the residence halls.
McClelland, a senior majoring in education, lives at the Moody Towers and worries about the possibility of a fire in the building.
When she attended UH downtown, a fire broke out and she was dragged down flights of steps on a blanket because they had nothing better to use to get her out, she said. She is now "petrified" that she will be in a fire again some day.
"I could be anywhere in a building and no one would know that I was there unless someone was outside the building and knew I was there," McClelland said.
At the meeting, McClelland proposed that there should be a panel of buttons at the entrance of the building that disabled students could punch to indicate which floor they were on. A light would come on to indicate to the police or fire station where they were to save them time.
After the fire at UH downtown broke out, faculty there became much more concerned about fire safety precautions, McClelland said. "Something needs to be done before someone gets hurt."
Also, for the past year and a half, disabled students were not made aware of when the fire drills would take place, she said.
McClelland said the disabled students need more time to know about the fire drill or they can become nervous with all the commotion, and fall to the ground when transferring from the bed or shower into their wheelchairs.
She also said that there are no stickers on her windows to indicate to the fire department that she is disabled and needs immediate attention.
Stickers, however, have been ordered by Waldeman and she plans to distribute them in the near future, she said.
Marilyn Turner, a legally blind graduate student of occupational technology, recently had to start using a wheelchair after complications due to diabetes.
She served on the Americans with Disabilities Act Implementation Advisory Committee this past summer.
Since the ADA is a federal act, identification cards used by disabled people using Metro Lift in Houston are valid anywhere in the country, Turner said.
"Metro will work on accessibility to their buses which will include audio signage and large print for blind persons. The lifts for wheelchair clients are being installed. It's for people who are unable to ride a regular city bus," she said.
Turner takes Metro lift to campus and is dropped off at points which she designates to the driver, she said.
Metro lift picks her up at the curb outside her home, but she must notify them a day in advance on a weekday and two days in advance if she need their services on the weekends, she said.
Turner has difficulty getting to some of her classes because the buildings themselves do not have specific addresses on them, she said.
"It's difficult for them to pick me up because there's no way to specify that particular building. Anytime I'm dropped off at UH it reads as 4800 Calhoun," she said.
Metro lift requires that you buy tickets in advance; they cost $1.15 and can be purchased at the UC.

NEW ACT TARGETS DISABILITY-BASED JOB DISCRIMINATION

by Melissa Neeley

Discrimination is being redefined in the country's work places and universities because of the 'Americans with Disabilities Act' that went into effect in July.
Faculty at UH downtown met Thursday to discuss the changes of work accommodations, job application procedures, hiring, advancement and discharge of employees that are now occurring because of the ADA.
"The federal government is asking the public to become more aware of people with disabilities. With the passage of the ADA, there will be more complaints made because more people now are sensitive to the issue of discrimination," Susan Wheeler, associate university counsel to the UH system, said.
The ADA defines discrimination as limiting and segregating a person from others in the workplace because of the person's disabilities, Wheeler said.
Disabilities covered by the ADA include paralysis, deafness, blindness, AIDS, epilepsy, cancer, diabetes, mental retardation, emotional or mental illness and learning disabilities such as dyslexia.
Also, workers cannot be discriminated against if they must take sick leave to care for a spouse, child or friend having a disability such as one mentioned in the list above, she said.
"A disability is permanent. If a worker wants to take time off the job because his child has the measles, for example, he is not protected under the ADA," Wheeler said. "Measles is a temporary illness; therefore, it is not defined as a disability," she said.
Erin Mayer, director of academic computing at UH downtown, said one of her employees is wheelchair-bound. "My main interest in coming to this meeting is that not only do we employ a number of people who may be impacted by this (ADA), but we also have a facility that services the public. I want to accommodate the needs of those individuals impacted by this law," she said.
"Potential employees having disabilities do not always need expensive accommodations which will allow them to work," Wheeler said.
Workers in wheelchairs who cannot fit under their desks to do their jobs may need only to take the drawers out of their desks to be comfortable, Wheeler said.
"People who are hearing impaired may need a telephone decoding device to do their jobs effectively," she said.
"If an employee has severe dyslexia, for example, and cannot file, but can do everything else the job entails, an employer should restructure the job to fit his needs," she said. "When interviewing a potential employee, one should never ask if he has a disability. Once the applicant has brought up the fact that he has a disability, however, it is fine to discuss the matter."
Holly Paul, a career development counselor at UH downtown, often has talked to disabled students about applying for jobs, she said. "A woman came in the other day and asked when she should mention her disability (when applying for a job). I came here to find some good answers for her."
"An employer can ask his potential worker if he can perform the essential activities of a job," Wheeler said. "It is fine to ask the applicant to demonstrate how essential functions will be performed, but only if all applicants must do the same."
"Emotional and mental illness of an applicant may be problematic to many employers, but they must do their best to accommodate that person's needs if qualified for the job."
"If a person having a disability is refused a job on the sole basis of his disability, that individual can legitimately sue because of the ADA," Wheeler said.
"Somebody at a very low level position could ask for an accommodation and end up impacting the whole system," Wheeler said.
"If a specific requirement for accommodation leads to undue hardship to a company because of expense or significant difficulty, however, the employer does not have to hire that individual," she said.

MAD DOG 'D' , MAKES ILLINI 'O' DO TRICKS

by Keith Rollins
Daily Cougar staff

The Cougar "Mad Dog" defense made the Illinois offense roll over and play dead in UH's crushing victory over the Fighting Illini 31-13.
The Cougar's front line, consisting of Kevin Labay, Steve Clarke, Allen Aldridge and Stephen Dixon recorded eight sacks for 97 lost yards and a safety to lead Houston to their first victory of the '92 season. Clarke led all defenders with 10 tackles, three of them sacks.
Dixon also recorded a fumble in the end zone for a defensive touchdown after Labay trounced Illinois quarterback Jason Verduzco for his second sack.
"We had to hit to the outside and use our speed to get around their guys because they had tremendous size," Labay said.
Labay is referring to Illinois offensive linemen. They average about 298 pounds.
"It's been a while since the defense had a chance to win a game. We declared ourselves compatible against any team in any conference today," Labay said.
Dixon hailed the secondary's play as a catalyst for more sacks.
"DB's did an excellent job, we had to play second to them today, because they gave us more time to reach Verduzco," Dixon said.
The secondary, which featured one interception by Stephen Harris in the game, was suspect after two starters were removed from the team for off-the-field activities, and wide receiver Thomas McGaughey was moved to free safety just two weeks before the season opener.
But the UH defense silenced their critics by limiting Illinois, 2-1, to a total of 235 offensive yards, way below their 402 yard- per-game season average.
"We were so well prepared that we anticipated every plan they ran at us," Linebacker Ryan McCoy, who recorded nine tackles, said.
Verduzco, who completed 64 percent of his passes in Illinois' first two games, completed only 10 of 23 for 136 yards.
"We played very aggressive man-to-man coverage with a little bit of zone, but containment was the key to our defense today," Head Coach John Jenkins said.
Linebacker Eric Blount analyzed the defensive turnaround from last year as an attitude change instilled by rookie Defensive Coordinator Melvin Robertson.
"The whole team concept and mental gathering helped us out a lot," said Blount, who also recorded nine tackles.
Revenge also played a big part in the defense's high intensity level. Illinois embarrassed Houston's "D" last year in Champaign by beating them 51-10.
"That loss has been on our minds for the past two weeks and we needed this game for confidence against Michigan," McCoy said.
Robertson agreed the defense must step up another level against next week's game against No. 6 ranked Michigan.
"We have to get up another notch, damn right, there will be no more celebrating on Monday at practice," Robertson said defiantly.
Labay said, "The win puts us back on the winning streak, we have to try to keep it rolling against Michigan."
The defense felt they had to prove themselves early on in the contest. They got that chance win Superback Lawrence McPherson fumbled on the first kick-off of the game and Illinois recovered it at Houston's 24-yard line.
After gaining only eight yards on three plays, Illinois opted to kick for the field goal on fourth down.
Cornerback John W. Brown blocked the attempt and the UH's defensive tone was set for the game.

COUGAR NOISE

--ROLLINS' RAVINGS

Thank God Donald Douglas threw that last touchdown pass, rubbing defeat in Illinois' face with that much more authority.
After all, it is worth remembering, although an average John Jenkins batterer probably wouldn't, the blatant extra scoring barrage that Illinois levied on the Cougars last year in Champaign, whipping their butts 51-10.
A Big-10 beating it was; a payback way overdue.
You kinda have to hand it to ol' Jenk, spitting back when it was prudent to do so. That pass will give the team a unreachable air of confidence heading into Michigan.
Saying Jenkins was wrong and tacky is a by-product of just how unjustified people can be to a thriving football program like Houston.
Be proud - our little "cougar high" football team just beat the No. 25 ranked team in the nation. That's just how good our University is. Too bad only 25,931 people at the Dome could see the beating first hand.
Jenkins does have one problem though. It didn't look so bad against Illinois since UH won, but still Coach, please choose your quarterback.
Peanut butter goes with jelly, beer goes with pizza and I'll even accept a tuna fish sandwich with a diet coke for you low-cal lovers, but a Jimmy Klingler -- Donald Douglas mixture, not a relationship forthcoming. A bitter sourball is more like it between them in the rare two quarterback system.
Each player is visibly upset when he's pulled for the other and they try not to show their dislike. But, in an analogy, what if you, Coach Jenkins, had to alternate coaching calls with Bum Phillips?
In the game, Klingler started, sat down, came back, and sat down again, finishing the game 15-21 for 133 yards, four sacks, one interception and two fumbles. He also led three field goal scoring drives in the Cougar's first three out of four possessions.
Douglas entered the game, got hurt, continued anyway, juked his way for a valiant touchdown run and then was benched. Boy, I bet he felt appreciated.
He came back with 4:04 left in the game and threw a strike to Ron Peters for a 70-yard TD. Appreciation restored. He also fumbled twice, but scrambled for 71 yards on nine rushes.
It's in your hands again coach, don't Jinx us.

SWEET REVENGE!!!
COUGARS TOP VERDUSCO AND ILLINI 31-13; AVENGE '91 LOSS

by Jason Luther

As the old adage goes, paybacks are hell, and the Illinois Fighting Illini can attest to it as the Cougars blasted them 31-13 in the Astrodome Saturday.
The Cougars capped off the win as quarterback Donald Douglas connected with receiver Ron Peters on a last second, 70-yard touchdown pass as Houston avenged last season's 51-10 loss against the Illini in Champaign-Urbana.
The Cougars made no excuses for not sitting on the ball to end the game.
"Last year, they tried to pour it on and embarrass us on T.V.," Douglas said.
"They deserve it," superback TiAndre Sanders said. "Nobody said anything about it last year, they just said UH got slashed."
Sanders turned in another impressive performance notching 141 all purpose yards, including 85 yards rushing on five carries.
Sanders is averaging more than 12 yards per carry in Houston's first two games this season.
However, it was the Cougar defense, not the offense, that powered the victory over Illinois.
Eight of Houston's points were scored by the Cougar defense as they held the Illini offense to only 235 total yards.
"The defense played a hell of a game," Cougar tackle Darrell Clapp said.
Defensive end Allen Aldridge, who had a sack and an interception, attributed the defensive dominance to preparation by defensive coordinator Melvin Robertson.
"Coach Robertson worked us hard for the past two weeks," Aldridge said. "We anticipated every play they ran."
The Cougar line punished senior Illini quarterback Jason Verduzco all day long.
All in all, the Houston defense had eight sacks, a safety, three fumble recoveries, an interception and nine tackles behind the line for 97 yards in losses.
Cougar tackle Stephen Dixon said the Houston secondary was to thank for the line's ability to get to Verduzco.
"We had to play second to the defensive backs because they caused a lot of sacks that we got," said Dixon, who had a sack and a fumble recovery.
One of the Houston sacks, forced by senior Kevin LaBay, was recovered by senior Stephen Dixon in the endzone for a fourth quarter touchdown. The score, along with sophomore placekicker Trace Craft's extra point, gave the Cougar's a 22-7 lead and broke the game open.
Craft was perfect on the day, hitting on field goal attempts of 37, 38 and 42 yards, respectively and adding two PAT's.
Craft gave the Cougars an early boost, scoring Houston's first nine points.
After Houston freshman Lawrence McPherson fumbled the opening kick-off on the Cougar 24 yard-line, the Cougar defense held Illinois to only six yards on its opening drive forcing them to settle for a field goal attempt.
The attempt was blocked by junior John W. Brown. The defensive stand and the block set the tone for the entire game.
Craft hit his first field goal, putting Houston ahead 3-0 after the Cougars' first drive, led by sophomore quarterback Jimmy Klingler, stalled at the Illini 19-yard line.
Though the Illini scored a touchdown on their next possession, giving them a 7-3 lead, they were not allowed another score until late in the fourth quarter.
Craft hit another field goal on the Cougars' preceding drive as another Klingler-led drive stalled at the Illini 24.
The Cougars went up 9-7 on Craft's final field goal attempt with 8:33 left in the first half.
It was the final score of the half and Houston led the rest of the game.
Illinois came out for the second half fired up as Verduzco drove the team from their own 21-yard line to the Houston 11. However, the Cougar defense rose to the challenge, and with the help of two Illini penalties, drove Illinois back to the 40, forcing a punt.
Illinois punter Brett Larsen shanked the punt out of bounds, and the Cougars got the ball on the Houston 33-yard line.
Coach John Jenkins then handed the reigns to Douglas, who drove Houston down the field for the Cougars' first touchdown. On that series, Douglas completed four passes for 50 yards and rushed three times for 22 yards, including a Houdini-like six yard touchdown scamper.
Douglas finished the game 10-for-13 passing for 129 yards and a touchdown and added 71 yards rushing on nine carries and a touchdown.
Klingler finished 15-of-21 for 133 yards with an interception. He also contributed 14 yards rushing on seven carries.
Both quarterbacks fumbled twice.
One of Klingler's fumbles led to Illinois' final scoring drive, bringing the Illini to within 10 at 23-13 with 5:31 left in the game.
But with 1:17 remaining, senior tackle Steve Clarke tackled Verduzco in the endzone for a safety, putting Houston ahead 25-13.
An Illini kick and three Houston plays later, Douglas hit Peters for the 70-yard bomb that ran the clock out and wrapped up the Cougars' revenge against Illinois.

SONIC YOUTH'S AURAL ASSAULT DIRTY NEEDS TO BE CLEANED UP

by Manuel Esparza

I wasn't sure if the shrieking erupting from my speakers was the new Sonic Youth release ,Dirty, or my stereo gagging on it. The tape ejected cleanly; I guess it was intended to sound this way.
Sonic Youth formed in 1981 and have put out all their albums on independent labels except for the last two, which are on Geffen. As a band committed to guiding their own future, this is the first time SY has used a producer. The result is a clean sounding work splattered with feedback, distortion and discord.
Of the 15 tracks (16 on CD), there are only five or six that are good.
The album opener, "100%", begins with what sounds like someone dropkicking a guitar. It then becomes settles into a Jesus And Mary Chain styled song.
Buzzing along, it has rhythm and fun. As the first single and video, it will probably do well on the college charts, along with being heard in some of the bolder nightspots.
Sugar Kane was Marilyn Monroe's hotel alias. It is also the name of the next best track. There are no grating leads and the vocals have some serious effort in them. "100%" and "Sugar Kane" are both great. Who knows how these two gems made the cut.
Guitarist Kim Gordon's vocals on "Swimsuit Issue" are truly annoying. Her voice squeaks worse than her guitar. On SY's Goo album she does a decent job, "Kool Thing" for example. Here it seems as if she is trying to establish her personal mark. She succeeds, but with the opposite effect. Instead of thinking "All right it's Kim.", it's "OH NO!". Someone quick, stop her before she sings again!
Too late. She has several other tracks under her lame lead. Her mike mangling mouth cripples the track "Shoot". It starts with great promise as a slow simmering song about a flawed relationship. Starting off okay, her voice degenerates into something that was recorded during a Lamaz session.
"Creme Brulee" is just awful. It appears to be an album filler. Kim's blathering vocals, combine with uninspired music hoping to give that feeling of a hot summer afternoon. The resulting headache can be easily cured with two aspirins. She uses this method to hide the fact she can't sing. The listener will find this out on the other tracks she does.
The band has been around too long to sound as if they still can't play their instruments. Though they are good live, Dirty should be swept under the rug.

ARTIST DRAWS ON IMAGES OF SORROW

By Ericka Schiche

Instead of mixing black and white to produce a deep gray, painter Guillermo Kuitca used the extreme shades to produce a commentary on the Holocaust.
Without first-hand knowledge, Kuitca could only respond to images and words.
Through these two elements of communication, he saw not only the destruction, the emaciated bodies of the Jews, the terror and pain inflicted by the Third Reich, but the need to produce a work which somehow reflected the situation.
Kuitca's massive collection of works, some of which are on exhibit as part of a one man show at the Contemporary Arts Museum, include a painting featuring concentration camp prisoners.
Appropriately, the 31-year-old son of Ukrainian Jews, born and living in Buenos Aires, Argentina, decided to draw from the heritage which inspires some of his work.
"Strawberry Fields Forever," a painting Kuitca said he produced after looking through photographs and paintings featuring Holocaust themes, is intriguing in its rendering.
Seemingly in the confines of a vocal training room, rows of uniformed Jewish people sit, singing and smiling. On one of the beams supporting the roof rests a banner which reads "Let me take you down," the first line of the popular Beatles tune.
"Somehow, the first sentence is related to 'arbeitet macht frei' ("work makes you free" in German), which was a slogan the Nazis used to convince people to go to the concentration camps," Kuitca said during an interview at the CAM.
Barely noticeable in a sea of black and white striped concentration camp uniforms are the other first lines of the song : "cos' I'm going to going to Strawberry Fields/ Nothing is real/ and nothing to get hungabout/ Strawberry Fields Forever." Although this painting is in the exhibit catalog instead of the exhibit itself, some of his signature works for which he has become appreciated are.
Among them is an oversized painting, on which such hues as mauve, white, brick red, gray, mint green and black are used to create a background for a map of Germany. Another work, which seems to suggest either a broken home or death, features a house plan, from which several large tear drops fall.
Other paintings included in the exhibit are a yellow monochromatic painting, a work featuring bones arranged in rectangular shapes and another floor plan painting, on which such objects as chairs, a door and a mattress are visible.
The piece de resistance of the seven-work sample exhibit is the work which includes five children's beds arranged side by side on a white platform. On each of the beds, he painted maps of places in the United Kingdom.
Kuitca said he is "interested in maps as a reflection of the human condition, but not as a geologist or cartographer can be interested."
The cartographer may have navigational routes in mind, but Kuitca does not.
"Somehow, I think we all have our inner roads that will take us from one point to another. Sometimes, we take the fast way, sometimes we take the slow and wrong ways," he said. "I also like maps because they make everything equal: when you see a map, you don't see the people, the houses, the cities--you just see names."
Kuitca, whose mother works as a psychoanalyst, also draws on the theater, architecture and the works of such artists as Francis Bacon, Jenny Holzer and Frida Kahlo as sources of inspiration.
It is not unusual to find South or Central Americans who admire Kahlo's work. The only non-Kuitca work featured in his catalog is Kahlo's Self Portrait With Cropped Hair.

SMOOTH SAILING FOR CAPTAIN RON
by Tamra Gay

If you liked Kurt Russell in Overboard or Martin Short in Pure Luck, you'll love Captain Ron. An audience treated to a special preview screening Wednesday at Galleria IV, stopped for few pauses between laughter.
A deceased uncle wills a sailboat to Chicago family man Martin Harvey (Short). This leads Harvey to take his family on an adventurous vacation in an attempt to sail the boat to Miami from a Caribbean island in order to put it up for sale.
The problem is that Harvey cannot sail. The solution is Captain Ron (Russell). Combining the bumbling and clumsy but lovable Harvey with the swaggering and beer swilling but competent Captain Ron provides for predictably disastrous but humorous results.
Harvey's jealousy of Captain Ron's attentions to his wife Katherine (Mary Kay Place), 16-year-old daughter Caroline (Meadow Sisto) and 11-year-old son Ben (Benjamin Salisburg) is all for naught. Captain Ron lackadaisically manages to bring the family closer together.
Director Thom Eberhardt takes the audience through leaps of logic but the light hearted nature of the film allows for forgiveness. Eberhardt, relatively new to the director's chair, gets better with experience. Captain Ron is a much better comedy than his Gross Anatomy (1989).
The film offered mindless entertainment that didn't require any deep insight into the characters or their motivations. It simply allowed you to sit back and be entertained.
There might be better movies to drop $6.50 a ticket on (and then again there might not), but it would be worth paying the first-run rental price at a video store.

ENTERTAIN ME
A weekly calendar of student-oriented activities

9/21 Monday
*Workshop: Campus Recruitment
- 10 a.m. in the Student Service Center, Room 106

*Society for Creative Anachronism's "New-Comers' Revel"
- 7 p.m. -- 10 p.m. in the UC, World Affairs Lounge
- There is no charge for admission

9/22 Tuesday
*Workshop: Campus Recruitment
- 1 p.m. & 5:45 p.m. in the Student Service Center, Room 106

*SPB Film: "U2 Rattle & Hum"
- 1 p.m. and 4 p.m. in the UC, Houston Room
- Admission: $1

* Concert: Henry Rubin & Timothy Hester
- 7:30 p.m. in Dudley Hall
- General Admission: $5
- Students and Senior Citizens' Admission: $3

9/23 Wednesday
*Workshop: Campus Recruitment
- 3 p.m. in the Student Service Center, Room 106

* Volleyball: UH vs. Rice
- 7:30 p.m. at Hofheinz Pavilion
- For more information call 743-9404

9/24 Thursday
* Workshop: Practice Interview With Video
- 1 p.m. in the Student Service Center, Room 106
- There is no charge for admission

*Workshop: Interview Techniques
- There is no charge for admission

*Concert: Richard Stoltzman Clarinet Master Class
- 7:30 p.m. at the Dudley Recital Hall
- General Admission: $10
- Student and senior Citizens: $5

*SPB Film: A Night at the Opera
- 7:30 p.m. in the UC, Atlantic Room
- Admission: $1

9/25 Friday
* Last Day to File For Graduation (Fall 1992)

*Concert: Allen Chow
- Pianist Allen Chow will perform works by Mozart, Haydn, Chopin and others
- Presented by The Musicians of Southeastern Texas and the UH School of Music
- 7:30 p.m. at the Dudley Recital Hall
- General Admission: $10
- Students and senior Citizens: $5