LAW PROTECTS DISCIPLINARY RECORD OF ARRESTED ATHLETE

By Michica N. Guillory

The disciplinary fate of Zachary Chatman, a former UH football player arrested on a felony weapons charge, may never be revealed to UH students.

Chatman was arrested on Aug. 30 and charged with a third-degree felony violation for possession of a .9 mm semi-automatic pistol on university property.

Chatman was transported to the Harris County Jail and then released on bail pending trial.

"The discipline is confidential," said Kathy Anzivino, assistant dean of students. "I can't give you any information because of the Buckley Amendment. I can't even tell his mother unless he signs a consent form."

The Buckley Amendment denies public access to a student's records if the student requests the information be withheld.

UH President James Pickering said, "I think the administration has a responsibility, if asked about the status of a student responsible for a serious crime, to let the campus know the outcome (of disciplinary action)." He added the specifics of the particular case might not necessarily be divulged.

According to the student handbook, students have the right to choose between an administrative conference, where a campus dean or vice president decides on the student's situation, or go before the University Hearing Board.

He has been dismissed from the football team by Head Coach John Jenkins and Athletics Director Rudy Davalos.

"It's inappropriate for me to discuss Zachary Chatman just like I don't discuss anything about any other student," Davalos said.

Though Chatman was placed on interim suspension by the university, he is still a student according to available records in the Registrar's office.

Assistant Vice President for Student Development and Dean of Students William Munson said a decision on Chatman's academic discipline has been reached. He did not reveal the outcome, but did say a student can still be enrolled and on temporary suspension pending an appeal of a disciplinary decision.

Chatman is enrolled as a junior in industrial supervision.

*******************************************************

SUIT SETTLEMENT COSTS COVERED THROUGH CONTINGENCY FUNDS, SUBSIDIARIES

Katherine Bui

Hefty legal settlements involving the university, as in the Dana King case, are allotted from local university funds, said David Keith, vice president for external affairs.

The funds include subsidiaries from rental fees, contributions, con-tracts and contingencies.

The main resources of the fund involved 25 contingencies that drew up 1 percent of the $2.8 million budget provided for developmental costs, media costs, religious center costs and student unions.

Most settlements will come from specific contingency funds provided for legal damages, but larger settlements will be drawn from local university funds, Keith said.

Frank Holmes, associate vice president of Alumni Affairs, said most universities set aside a contingency fund through insurance policies, insured high deductibles, investments in other businesses or interest-earning bank accounts.

Rental fees come from the bookstore, stores and facilities leased by the university.

The American Restaurant Association contract also provides part of the local funds.

However, the $600,000 to $800,000 annual return from the food service is used for the equipment, electricity and facilities while excesses provide solely for food service operations, said Holly Sterneckert, assistant vice president for campus services.

Holmes said, "The local funds that are going toward legal settlements do not pertain to contributions by alumni because the contributors usually issue a specific use for their donations. Even the 'unrestricted' contributions are specifically directed toward academic enrichments."

State funds remain separate and directed toward education and maintenance within the university. Student fees and tuition are used for education and student needs.

Keith said, "Since the courts will decide how a settlement will be paid and how much will be paid, I cannot stipulate how the university would pay for a settlement. However, we must keep in mind that there will be appeals and negotiations to change it."

PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE VISITS CAMPUS, ADDRESSES STUDENTS

Channing King

Andre Marrou, the Libertarian presidential candidate, took center stage on campus Tuesday as he forecast a collapse of the United States if the government does not change its ways.

"The ship of state is sinking and the Democrats and Republicans are rearranging the deck chairs," said Marrou. "Only the Libertarians seem to know what is going on."

He said many great civilizations have collapsed because of excessive taxation, a debased currency and a bullying attitude towards the world. Marrou said the United States has all three.

He said American workers bear a 47 percent tax burden on their income  25 percent going to the federal government and 22 percent to the states. The total tax burden on a worker has to be cut to 10 percent of the income, he stated.

The American dollar has fallen to its lowest value since World War II, said Marrou. Since the elimination of the gold standard has contributed to the fall, he said, a return to that standard is fiscally sound as well as mandated by the Constitution.

The United States, he said, is violating the Constitution again by protecting other nations in the world with American troops. The federal government is spending more of its budget to protect Japan than the Japanese government itself, said Marrou.

The candidate said that once he elected to office he would bring the troops back to defend the United States.

To supplement personal safety, Marrou offered to return full gun ownership rights to the citizens. A key reason for the Second Amendment, he said, was for the defense of the people against the government.

If the government has fully automatic machine guns that can be used against the people, said Marrou, citizens have the right to possess the same weapons.

Marrou said the government should treat its citizens as adults. He said people should not be forced into doing anything. As long as their actions do not harm or defraud anyone and responsibility is taken, he said, people should be able to do what they want to do.

To expand free enterprise, he called for an abolition of excessive regulations and regulatory bodies, including the USDA.

Quoting the book, <I>Parliament of Whores<P> by P.J. O'Rourke, Marrou said the USDA has one employee for every 3 farms in the nation. Marrou said the honey subsidy program started in 1952 annually gives $100 million a year to 2,100 beekeepers.

He said, "There's a word for that and that word starts with an 'I'. That word is 'Insanity.'"

AFRICAN-AMERICAN STUDIES PROGRAM WELCOMES NEW LEADERSHIP IN REED

The brown eyes, which never seem to blink, would be the main feature an artist would emphasize in a caricature of Linda Reed.

Reed, the recently-appointed Director of the African American Studies Program, looked into the starry skies above Five Points, Ala. and at the surroundings of the rural town to find her future. She did not see one.

Despite the limited opportunities and humble beginnings, she decided to follow her dreams.

Instead, Reed -- who is also an associate professor of history -- received degrees in history from Alabama Agricultural and Mechanical University, the University of Alabama and Indiana University.

"We will be looking to raise money (through grants). We hope to have the beginning of a visiting professorship... at some point in the future, hopefully before my tenure is up, that would be offered to a scholar of national recognition," said Reed of her goals for the program, which features an interdisciplinary minor.

The wooden sculptures of African subjects, some of which sit atop her desk and bookshelf, give the impression she wants to emphasize the cultural heritage promoted by the program.

Among the events to be sponsored by AAS this semester are memorial services for former architecture faculty member Nia Becnel and former UH President Marguerite Ross Barnett and a visit by acclaimed actress Ruby Dee.

AAS also has a book club, which recently studied the <I>Autobiography of Malcolm X<P>, and provides student and career counseling. Future plans include the establishment of an academic journal.

A favorite leisurely pursuit of Reeds is reading fiction and historical works.

"One of my favorite writers is Zora Neale Hurston. I like her representation of 'the folks,' the stories of black life and all of the things that made up the foundation for that life in terms of the cultural foundation," said Reed, who prefers the simplicity of Hurston over the complexity of the stories found in the work of such contemporary writers as Terry McMillan, author of <I>Waiting to Exhale<P>.

Laughing, she said, "That stuff is too depressing."

Although Reed is highly appreciative of her heritage and encourages the study of it, some consider a mandatory multicultural course requirement offered by such programs as Mexican American Studies or African American Studies to be unjustified.

"We've always had an active role in trying to create for ourselves and others. Some of the people who don't want to accept the contributions, they're probably never going to accept the contributions no matter how many facts you give them," she said.

"I think if we can learn to appreciate differences among people, we can begin to break down barriers and appreciate people more. It's really sad to say, but until we can require the study of differences, some people might never see them.

"To get some of these subjects on the board and to get a clearer understanding and appreciation of others, we might have to require the courses -- but I don't think it is something that should cause a major battle," she said.

Interestingly, Reed chose to chronicle the contributions and struggles of white liberals in her book <I>Simple Decency & Common Sense: The Southern Conference Movement, 1938-1963<P>.

"I got the title from a letter of protest that black Americans sent to the Senate committee which investigated alleged communists in the 1950s.

"People who struggled in the name of civil rights had been identified as communists and it was really emphasized in the '50s as a way of dividing blacks and whites in the struggle," she said.

"When the Senate Internal Committee called before it only white southerners, the blacks protested and they said, 'In the name of simple decency and common sense, this (exclusion) is uncalled for, it's intolerable and we need to have this rectified,'" she said of the letter signed by black people living in several states.

In the past two years, the African American Studies program has had one appointed director and two interim directors. Adjustments are a fact of life for those affiliated with the program. They had to make adjustments to convert classroom space into an office suite.

However, Reed said the work of her predecessors is what she will take note of as she adds her own signature. Reed, whose appointment lasts until 1995, said those who came before her would have seen more progress if they had as much time as she will have.

In the meantime, she plans to focus on a biographical study of Fannie Lou Hamer, a black grassroots civil rights activist who helped those living in the Mississippi Delta set a course for the future.

Reed turned down a Du Bois-Mandela-Rodney University of Michigan Fellowship to receive a Ford Foundation Fellowship, which enabled her to conduct research.

Nevertheless, while she occasionally makes sweeping hand gestures to emphasize a point about Southern or African American history, Reed seems most relaxed and at her happiest when discussing her hometown.

Whether she is delivering a commencement address before graduates of Five Points High School or with the wide-eyed excitement of a child, the election of her friend's mother as mayor of the town, she seems to view the past as a solid foundation.

The eyes of Linda Reed have seen many changes, histories and triumphs, but they seem to focus on the horizon, where new challenges and discoveries await.

TEACHERS ABSENT FROM CLASS MORE THAN STUDENTS

CPS -- As tuition rises and classes get crowded, public universities and colleges are relying more on teaching assistants, not full-time professors, to teach undergraduate classes, a congressional report said.

"Parents are paying ever-increasing tuition to have students teach students," said U.S. Rep. Pat Schroeder, chairwoman of the House Select Committee on Children, Youth and Families, the panel that investigated the situation.

According to the report, the problem is two-fold: Professors at public universities spend more time in research and the institutions rely more on teaching assistants to instruct undergraduates.

At the same time, tuition and fees are rising steadily, classes are bigger and the result is that undergraduates' education is less than desirable, said Schroeder, D-Colo.

Linda Pratt, national president of the American Association of University Professors, said the report was "just nonsense." Pratt, an English professor at the University of Nebraska at Lincoln, said the panel's findings were too vague.

"Statistics won't bear this out. So they decide it is the fault of the teachers," she said. "I am dismayed at the simplicity of it."

Schroeder said it is the undergraduate students who are taking the brunt of the cutbacks.

"The recession of the past several years has created some tough times for higher education in a number of states," she said. "(Undergraduates) are the ones who are taking the cutbacks on the chin in the form of T.A.s posing as professors, fewer class selections, over-enrolled required courses, shorter library hours and eliminated departments."

Some of the report's findings are:

*From 1980 to 1990, tuition and fees increased 141 percent at public four-year universities and colleges. Fees jumped 12 percent for the 1991-92 school year.

*Professors' teaching loads have decreased to as little as six credits a semester. "A number of faculty avoids teaching altogether by buying out their teaching time with the proceeds from research grants or outside consulting," Schroeder said.

*The average salary for a public university professor is $63,000 and the average school year is now 30 weeks.

*Lecture classes are getting bigger. Examples include a marketing class at the University of Colorado which has 618 students and a political science class at the University of Illinois-Urbana which has 1,156 students.

"Enrollment is up, but faculty is not growing," Pratt said. "The reality is that professors are teaching more students. In light of this investigation, I'm finding it almost Kafkaesque."

Robert Iosue, former president of York College of Pennsylvania, said he wants an audit of what professors do with their time, focusing on what they do in the classroom and how much time they spend on research.

"I am convinced you would find the actual time a professor spends in the classroom is considerably less than many people think," Iosue said. "There is not too much research, but just not enough time spent in the classroom."

Universities and colleges rely on teaching assistants and adjuncts too much, he said, so full-time professors can do research, or choose not to teach classes they don't want to, such as required freshman courses.

However, Pratt said it is wrong to assume teaching assistants are bad instructors. "This is not substantiated. Beginning teachers can be more interesting and fresh," she said. "The enthusiasm of teaching assistants sometimes puts me to shame. I think it's a bad rap."

She also said the "average" professor is a teacher and does not necessarily do a lot of research, a view Schroeder disagrees with.

"The focus in higher education today is on research, not teaching," Schroeder said. "This fact has not been lost on the professors. If you don't believe me, go ask one yourself. However, don't look for a professor in a classroom; it's unlikely you'll find one."

During a two-day walkout of teaching assistants in 1989 at the University of California-Berkeley, nearly 75 percent of all classes were cancelled. The committee said that's a good example of how using TAs has "gotten out of control."

"Ironically, even though faculty teaching loads have been drastically reduced across the board in order to pursue research, a surprisingly large number of faculty have yet to publish an article, book or other measurable output of research work," Schroeder said.

"More than half of all professors devote fewer than five hours a week to research."

Schroeder said higher education in the United States is at a crossroads, considering the tension between research and teaching.

"Many in the education community feel that higher education has lost sight of its purpose to educate the public," Schroeder said. "Skyrocketing prices, ignored undergraduates, vastly reduced teaching loads and bloated administrative staffs only hasten this conclusion."

PLANNING EXPERTS PONTIFICATE ON CITY'S ZONING FATE

by Deborah Hensel

Community involvement is the key to developing a workable comprehensive plan for zoning Houston, said four municipal planning experts at the symposium, Why Plan What?, held Sept. 19 in the College of Architecture.

David Colby, director of strategic planning and review for the District of Columbia, addressed the question, "What is a comprehensive plan?" with an extended allusion to L. Frank Baum's story, <I>The Wizard of Oz<P>.

"As you know, Dorothy and Toto were picked up by a cyclone and transported to the land of Oz," said Colby. "In the comprehensive planning process, this represents the emergency, which is the genesis of many plans."

Colby cited the July issue of the Houston Metropolitan which defined a comprehensive plan as a document which outlines community goals of how and where to grow, interrelated with transportation and land use.

The plan also sets priorities for public transportation, addresses education, affordable housing, the economy, job creation, air quality and the environment.

"That's a tall order, even for the Wizard of Oz," Colby said.

Former UH architecture Professor John Kaliski is a principal architect for the Community of Redevelopment Agency in Los Angeles. He attempted to answer the question, "Can a city like Houston be comprehensively planned?"

Houston can be comprehensively planned, Kaliski said, but the effort will require an examination of what other cities have done -- and learning from their mistakes.

"If you aren't planning a city that includes the disenfranchised, you may end up with what Los Angeles had after three or four days of civil disturbances," he said.

Landscape architect Lewis May spoke on the topic, "Should a comprehensive plan anticipate or redirect future land use?"

May said 25 percent of the land in Houston is vacant and available for use. Houston is one of the least dense cities in the United States in terms of population per acre -- only 4.6 people per acre, compared to 30 in New York City, 18 in Chicago and 5 in San Diego, he said.

However, in less than three decades, Houston's population will double to 5.6 million, May said.

Houston is a city that is dying from the heart because 80 percent of construction is going on outside the city centers, May said.

"There's a very big rush to push everything out to the edge," May said. "If we segregate that much, the plan will have problems."

The final speaker, Jonathon Barnett, a planner from Washington, D.C., discussed the relationship between the comprehensive plan and the zoning ordinance, as well as zoning in relation to the environment.

Because it has resisted zoning so far, Barnett said Houston has a unique opportunity to avoid many mistakes.

"The dilemma you have is that you have very little time to solve a lot of problems," he said. "You can't plan an entire city by October 30."

Moderator and UH architecture Professor Burdette Keeland, a member of the Houston Planning Commission, said the commission now faces a Dec. 10 deadline to prepare the zoning ordinance for review by the mayor and city council.

So far the plan is on track for that deadline, he added.

CAMPUS CRIME

Lazaro Santana Reyna, 32, was arrested at 3:14 a.m. last Saturday after a UHPD officer noticed his erratic driving on Cullen Street near Entrance 16.

Reyna was charged with driving while intoxicated and carrying an unlawful weapon.

"When officer Robert Opperman stopped Reyna he did a vehicle inventory and found a loaded 9mm Beretta semi-automatic pistol on the floorboard," UHPD Lt. Helia Durant said. "There were also additional magazine clips found under the floorboard mat."

Reyna was taken to Harris County jail where a $500 bond was set for each charge. His court date is set for September 25.

TWO UNIVERSITY SYSTEMS EXPANDING DESPITE REDUCED FUNDING

CPS -- Despite drastic cuts in higher education budgets, California and Florida state university officials are continuing with plans to build new campuses to cope with rapidly increasing enrollment.

Both the nine-university State University System of Florida and the 20-campus California State University (CSU) are facing similar situations. Over the past two years, Florida universities have lost 10 percent of their operating budget, while California lawmakers this year slashed CSU's budget by 8.8 percent.

Even so, planning officials in both systems are working hard to meet the needs of residents in areas which have experienced large populations growth.

Of the two systems, Cal State is the only one to open a new campus this year -- CSU San Marcos -- north of San Diego. The campus, the first CSU branch opened in 25 years, will serve about 1,000 students initially, but officials expect that number to grow quickly.

"There is a burgeoning enrollment," said David Leveille, CSU's director of institutional relations. "We've got to make some room for them."

While the CSU system currently serves 382,000 students, Leveille said there are tens of thousands more who want to attend a four-year college during the next decade. To illustrate the current need, Leveille cited the situation in Ventura County, where some administrators believe the greatest need lies.

At an off-campus CSU center in Ventura, Leveille said 1,100 students are enrolled, 1,000 more are on the waiting list and as many as 5,000 more make the trek across the Los Angeles County line to Cal State Northridge, the next closest university.

To accommodate these students, CSU officials hope a new Ventura campus can be built by the end of the century.

In addition, CSU officials will apply for a donation of land in Fort Ord, an army base near San Jose that Congress has ordered down-sized by 1995. Leveille said the CSU system could acquire 1,200 aces for little or no cost from the Defense Department. An answer is expected next year.

Leveille said the CSU system is so strapped for funds it would not have considered Fort Ord if the land had not been offered at such a bargain.

"When you have the opportunity to save the taxpayers money, it would be foolish not to use it," Leveille said.

In Florida, state university officials are already taking advantage of a similar opportunity to acquire free land for a new campus. The Atlantic Land Investment company has donated 1,000 acres for a new university in Lee County, located in Southwest Florida.

"When we open the doors in 1997, we're looking at about 2,000 students. We're planning on 10,000 students, hopefully," said Michael Armstrong, director of planning for the university system.

Armstrong says the new university will need $92 million in operating costs to get started, something that could be jeopardized by the continued reductions in state education dollars.

Armstrong is aware of competition among the university campuses for a share of operating dollars.

"Their (argument) is, 'How can we afford to build new (universities) when we can't take care of what we've got?'" Armstrong said.

Armstrong's response: "We've got 13 million people, half of what California has. Yet, we only have nine state universities. We're going to have tens of thousands of new students. We're going to have to have somewhere to put them."

SCARED FLORIDIANS KILL HUNDREDS OF ESCAPED RESEARCH ANIMALS

MIAMI (CPS) -- University of Miami researchers found out the hard way that monkeys can go home again.

But in the aftermath of hurricane Andrew, which left much of Dade County devastated, researchers also found rumors can turn deadly after hundreds of monkeys and baboons were shot and killed by residents and police officers who feared the escaped primates were infected with AIDS.

"It was a very sorry experience. Everyone had guns and started firing," said Robert Rusin, vice provost for research at the university.

The University of Miami raises pathogen-free monkeys and baboons used for research by the National Institutes for Health and for universities involved in AIDS research. About 550 animals were kept at the school's Perrine Primate Center in south Miami, which is the area that took the brunt of the ferocious storm.

Most of the animals were caged outdoors and although school officials had a hurricane plan for them, Andrew proved to be too strong.

When the hurricane hit South Florida on Aug. 24, the cages were torn apart and hundreds of monkeys and baboons escaped. About 50 died in the storm, Rusin said.

The university lost between 300 and 400 animals. The primates cost between $3,000 to $4,000 each.

Soon after the hurricane, there were radio and television reports that the primates were infected with the AIDS virus and people began shooting the animals.

Rubin said it is impossible for primates to get the AIDS virus. "If this were true, I'd have a Nobel Prize," he said.

The Mannheimer Foundation, a non-profit organization that also breeds disease-free primates in south Miami, was destroyed in the storm, Rubin said. The foundation had about 2,000 monkeys and 5,000 baboons; about 2,300 escaped, at least 1,100 were missing.

Rubin said the foundation was closed and Mannheimer officials couldn't be reached to confirm the figures.

"We got no apologies. We brought the issue to the Dade County city manager and he was furious. He couldn't be bothered by monkeys," Rubin said. "He had more pressing problems."

However, primates, like most humans, enjoy their creature comforts. Researchers filled empty cages with bananas, apples and water and the surviving monkeys and baboons slowly drifted home.

"They're like people. They get hot and thirsty and decide to come home," Rubin said. "They're trusting little devils. The fact they returned shows they're well treated."

LEARNING SPANISH AS EASY AS WATCHING TELEVISION SOAPS

CPS -- Who said learning another language has to be boring? A first-of-its kind television program is mixing mystery and romance to create a Spanish-language soap opera called "Telenovela".

<I>Destinos<P> premieres this fall on Public Broadcasting System (PBS) stations across the country as a college telecourse designed to entice people into learning Spanish.

It follows the story of Raquel Rodriques (Liliana Abud), a Los Angeles lawyer, who follows the trail of a mysterious letter sent to a dying (but wealthy) Mexican patriarch.

"The whole point is to keep people intrigued by what the lawyer is going to find," said Olivia Tappan, who produced the series for WGBH-TV in Boston with funding from the Annenberg/CPB (Corporation for Public Broadcasting) project.

The series, which took four years and $4.8 million to complete, follows Rodriguez to such exotic locales as Mexico, Puerto Rico, Spain and Argentina during the 52 weekly half-hour episodes.

Viewers learn Spanish by listening to the dialogue between the actors, who Tappan said were instructed to speak slower than normal during the first several episodes. In addition, an English narrator tags along for the first 13 episodes.

"The educators who put this together say this is the best way to pick up conversational Spanish," said Judy Becker, a spokeswoman for WGBH.

"In the college setting, this is the show that instructors are looking for. It's not just boring dialogue; it's a plot."

Becker said a recent article about <I>Destinos<P> in the Los

Angeles Times resulted in 3,000 telephone calls in four days, the most any such telecourse had ever received.

At Coastline Community College in Fountain Valley, Calif., which offers 28 telecourses to more than 3,500 students, officials were excited about the <I>Destinos<P> telecourse. About 300 students are expected to enroll for the class.

"Having a drama as a central feature of the course is unusual," said Marilyn Kelly, assistant dean of Instructional Television at Coastline.

"Clearly, the telecourse allows us to serve a constituency. Generally, that will be adult learners who are using the telecourse to fulfill general education transfer requirements."

Annenberg / CPB Project officials estimate there are more than 400 colleges nationwide offering <I>Destinos<P> to students this fall. The show will broadcast in cities including New York, Minneapolis, Sacramento, San Francisco, Boston, Philadelphia, El Paso, Dallas, New Orleans and Boise.

About 20 colleges nationwide are offering <I>Destinos<P> as a telecourse for college credit, while the other colleges are buying tapes of the program and using it as a supplement to classroom materials.

However, Annenberg/CPB Project officials say they can accommodate any student who needs college credit in beginning Spanish.

"If a viewer wants to take a course, no matter where they live, we can get them in touch with a college that will give the college credit for the course," said Lynn Smith, Annenberg/CPB Project officer for outreach.

The course comes with a study guide and other materials. Students can learn how to get college credit for the telecourse by calling 1-800-532-7637.

STUDENT ARCHAEOLOGISTS COMB GRAVES IN SEARCH OF AFRICAN-AMERICAN HISTORY

CLEMSON, S.C. (CPS) -- The study of African-American history has taken a personal turn as Clemson University minority students search for graves of long-deceased slaves of the family of statesman John C. Calhoun.

Twenty students at a summer career workshop scraped and sifted through soil at the university's Woodland Cemetery, the Calhoun family burial ground where campus lore says family slaves were also buried.

University archaeologist Carrel Cowen-Ricks said the project will continue this fall.

Cowen-Ricks is looking for four documented graves on the burial site. She noted more than 10 million slaves are buried in unmarked graves scattered throughout the South.

"It is important for Afro-Americans to interpret their own history," said Cowen-Ricks, whose specialty is studying African-American cemeteries for historical documentation.

Cowen-Ricks said the students quickly learned how agonizingly slow the pace is at an archaeological dig. So far, the students have dug six trenches that are not deep enough to unearth coffins or remains of bodies.

"Any Indiana Jones fantasies they may have had are gone out the window," she said.

DEBATE CANCELLATION BAD OMEN FOR FUTURE MEETS

CPS -- Despite the cancellation of the presidential debate at Michigan State University, the Commission on Presidential Debates is still planning to hold three more forums.

"We are proceeding under the assumption the debates we have planned will take place," said Marthena Cowart, a spokeswoman with the commission. "Nothing has really changed."

Three presidential and one vice presidential debate had been planned for the fall. The first was scheduled for Michigan State campus on Sept. 22. Democratic presidential candidate Arkansas Governor Bill Clinton had agreed to the forum established by the commission, but President Bush balked and decided not to attend the event.

Bush was opposed to having a 90-minute debate with only one moderator; the president prefers a panel of journalists asking the questions.

Michigan State officials said they had raised nearly all of the $500,000 needed to sponsor the debate and were in the process of returning the money to the donors.

"The reaction has been disappointment on the campus," said Terry Denbow, director of media relations. "There's been no bitterness because we weren't promised anything."

The vice presidential debate between Vice President Dan Quayle and U.S. Sen. Al Gore of Tennessee is scheduled for Sept. 29 in Louisville, Ky. The next Bush-Clinton debate will be held at the University of San Diego on Oct. 4. The last debate is scheduled Oct. 15 at the University of Richmond in Virginia.

A spokesman with the University of San Diego said despite the cancellation at Michigan State, university officials are getting ready.

"We have every reason to believe that a presidential debate will be held at San Diego," said Jack Cannon, the debate task-force chairman. "The Bush campaign has been expressing a desire to have two debates and there are two left on the table."

University officials view the debate as "a major educational experience" for the school's 6,000 students, so students are planning to help set up and run the debate, Cannon said.

BRIEFS.....

HOMELESSNESS

The UH Center for Public Policy will sponsor a conference addressing the problems of homelessness, declining productivity and conflict among ethnic groups across Houston's municipal, school district and county boundaries. Conference guests include UH System Chancellor Alexander F. Schilt and Henry Cisneros, former mayor of San Antonio.

The conference is set for Sept. 24-25 at the Adam's Mark Hotel in Houston. For details, call Fran Howell at 743-8153.

PERFORMANCE

UH Wind Ensemble conducted by Eddie Green will perform Monday, Oct. 5 at 7:30 p.m. in Cullen Performance Hall. General admission is $5 and $3 for students and seniors citizens.

APPOINTMENT

UH School of Music director David Tomatz recently announced the appointment of mezzo-soprano Debria Brown to the voice faculty. Brown recently appeared in the Houston Grand Opera production of Carlisle Floyd's The Passion of Jonathan Wade. She also starred in more than 25 operatic roles in Europe, South America, Africa and the Middle East.

METRO HEARING

The Metropolitan Transit Authority will hold a public hearing on the proposed Fiscal Year 1993 capital, operating and general mobility/ traffic management budgets. They will meet in the 16th floor Board Room, 1201 Louisiana at 12 p.m. Wednesday.

VOLLEYBALL NOTEBOOK

HEATHER ELLIS

Ferocious SWC Volleyball action starts tonight in Hofheinz Pavilion as the Houston Cougar team faces the Rice Owls. The contest begins at 7:30 p.m. and will be recorded on HSE to be rebroadcast on Oct. 7.

After last season's performance, the Owls will have only a wing and a prayer when they play the Cougars. Suffering through a dismal 1991 season, Rice finished the year at the bottom of the SWC heap posting an 0-10 record.

After a successful weekend competing in the Minnesota Classic Tournament in Minneapolis, the Cougars enter tonight's match-up with a 4-4 season record.

Lily Denoon was named MVP of the tournament with 35 kills, 18 total blocks and an impressive .347 hitting percentage.

Houston definitely played to their potential as they crushed Southwest Missouri State, North Carolina and Minnesota University.

In the first round of play, the Cougars soundly defeated Southwest Missouri State in four games 15-9, 4-15, 15-11, 15-5.

Houston then moved on to make quick work of North Carolina University, winning the first and second games, 15-5 and 15-2. North Carolina posed a small threat in the third game, beating the Cougars 13-15. The Cougars responded with great tenacity, crushing them 15-3.

In the last round of competition against Minnesota, the Cougars met with a little bit more resistance losing their first game 5-15. That loss was enough to motivate them and they preceded to roll over the Golden Gophers winning the last three games 15-8, 15-13 and 15-7.

Tickets for tonight's game are free to all UH students with a student I.D.

CLARKE NAMED COACHES. DEFENSIVE MVP

by Keith Rollins

For the first time as a Cougar, Steve "Big Dry" Clarke got his paws wet last Saturday against Illinois.

In the game, he led a tough defensive line with 10 tackles, three of them sacks, for a loss of 27 yards.

For his effort, the senior defensive tackle was named the UH coaching staff's most valuable player.

Clarke isn't ready to celebrate though.

"We feel that we have to get our job done very effectively and the awards will come later," Clarke said. "We want to be playing somewhere on January 1 and not be at home, that will be a lot better than sitting at the house."

Baylor's Melvin Bonner and Texas A&M's Marcus Buckley took home the Associated Press' Defensive MVP Award, but Cougar Head Coach John Jenkins thought Clarke should of had it in the bag.

"I know he was considered for the national award," Jenkins said. "He did a hell of a job last week, I'm sure he had a good chance of winning."

Clarke believes his performance early on this year is due to his hard off-season workouts and spring drills led by newcomer Defensive Coordinator Melvin Robertson and strength coach John Lott.

" Lott made us work hard. He made us a lot quicker by sprinting, lifting weights and sprinting again. Speed was emphasized rather than size this spring," Clarke said.

Clarke credited Robertson with the mental turnaround.

"Last year, we kind of lost our concentration, especially after the Miami game. This year Robertson has brought the confidence back that is very important. He made our morale a lot better," Clarke said.

Senior Linebacker Eric Blount also received praise from Clarke for this year's improved defense.

"Blount stood up before spring practices began and said what needed to be done and how we were going to do it," Clarke said. "He said you better work out, have a better team concept and have a better team attitude."

Clarke takes pride in his pass rush and said he also feeds off his defensive line buddies, Kevin LaBay, Stephen Dixon and Alan Aldridge, for extra intensity and competition.

"LaBay is very emotional on the field. Alan is very strong and quick and Dixon causes havoc all over the place by being real quick," Clarke said.

"If we go out and are kind of passive, then we all get together on the sidelines and feel out how we can pressure the quarterback more. We have a personal contest to meet each other in the backfield after every play."