STUDENT INITIATIVE BRINGS LIBRARY'S DECLINE TO A HALT

by Melinda McBride

Student ingenuity, not administrative initiative, rescued M.D. Anderson library from a budget deficit that threatened to eliminate it from the Association of Research Libraries.

UH's standing on the ARL's 107-member list of national research libraries plummeted to 107 last year from 50 in 1984. Statewide, UH landed near the bottom of the funding list, underfunded only by TSU.

As the administration stood by, two students took a stand.

"By the time (late UH President Marguerite Ross) Barnett got here, the cancellation of journals had stopped, so the library wasn't getting worse -- but it wasn't getting better," said Don Easterling, chairman of the Library Committee.

Easterling was a freshman in 1989 and decided to devote himself to improving the library's national standing.

He was elected to chair the committee in 1990 and became the only student chairman of a standing academic committee. During his second year as chairman, he was "determined to bring the funding issue to light."

"Our idea was to develop a fee bill to create an incentive for the administration to increase library funding and make it a priority," said Easterling of his co-authorship with Lloyd Jacobson on the student-fee plan.

"We wrote a plan that said UH students will allow the administration to assess a $15 fee per semester on the condition the library budget is brought to 100 percent in the next three years," said Easterling, now in his third term as Library Committee chairman.

The dedicated fee was designed to challenge the administration. Lee Grooms, speaker of the 28th Students' Association Senate, wrote, "Now that the student body has thrown the gauntlet by approving the fee as stipulated, it is left to the university to decide whether it is willing to make the financial commitment necessary to support our libraries as is proper of an institute of our stature." The letter was addressed to UH President James Pickering.

The administration and the UH Board of Regents approved the contract this summer after two-thirds of the voting students lent their support. At that point, the library's budget was at 86 percent of the funding level recommended by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board.

"We felt the students should help the university shoot for, at the least, the same funding levels of UT," Kevin Jefferies, director of External Affairs for SA, said, comparing UH's ranking to UT's eighth-place standing within the ARL.

The plan, drafted by students Jefferies, Grooms, Easterling and ex-SA President Wendy Trachte, "took eight years to figure out," Jefferies said. "We decided that without a creative solution -- nothing was going to be done."

This landmark UH student initiative generated more than $1 million this semester. The administration's part of the bargain required them to contribute enough to bring the budget to 91 percent from 86 percent. That amounted to more than $700,000.

According to the plan, the university will bring funding to 100 percent by 1995.

"That's why I titled my budget report, 'Reversal of Fortune,' " said Robin Downes, director of Libraries. "Wow," he exclaimed, "suddenly, we go from $6.5 to $7 million to almost $9 million." Downes' enthusiasm comes from watching the library's resources dwindle during his 12-year tenure at M.D. Anderson Library.

"Now, thanks to this extraordinary effort by the students, departments in the humanities, social sciences and the professional schools can once again look forward to more adequate book budgets," Downes said.

Before the student-fee bill, these disciplines' budgets were restricting them to spending as little as 5 percent on books.

The library plans to use the funds to replace old chairs, expand study space, update the Electronic Publication Center and construct a reserve book room.

"The great aspect of this fee is that it's student-generated," Jefferies said. "If we don't like what's happening, we have the moral authority to say something about it."

*******************************************************

UH WRITERS JOIN AUTHORS ACROSS U.S. TO 'HARVEST' FOR HOMELESS

Concern for those who go to sleep on an empty stomach and call the streets home prompted local writers to take to the stage Tuesday evening.

Writers from the UH Graduate Creative Writing Program and the UH-Downtown campus gathered an audience of about 180 people for a reading in the Menil Collection lobby in an effort to raise money for the homeless.

The writers realized the significance of supporting the homeless even though they no longer constitute an American cause <i>celebre<p> and the audience concurred by contributing over $950 to the cause.

All of the proceeds will go to organizations dedicated to alleviating the homeless and hunger problems, said Marie Nash, a national coordinator for the event.

"As somebody said, we could be homeless and it's something we don't want to think about," Lorenzo Thomas, the lone UH-Downtown faculty member who served as one of six readers, said.

Like the others, Thomas was compelled to participate in Houston's version of "The National Reading: Writers Harvest for the Homeless," a nationwide event held for the first time this week.

The New York accents of such UH professors as Cynthia Macdonald, Edward Hirsch, Daniel Stern, Richard Howard and Robert Phillips (director of the program) echoed throughout the lobby as they took turns reciting poetry and prose.

Nationwide, 400 writers --such as Calvin Trillin, Susan Sontag, Gloria Naylor, Anna Quindlen, Scott Turow, Studs Terkel, Gwendolyn Brooks and Norman Rush -- will have participated in 108 readings held in 84 cities.

Share Our Strength, a Washington, D.C.-based organization established in 1984 to address the Ethiopian famine epidemic, will donate funds to hunger relief projects.

SOS also plans to support famine victims of Somalia and Hurricane Andrew victims in Florida through other ventures.

"I saw an old homeless man pushing a shopping cart -- with everything in it. I was just shocked," said Frederick Busch, the Fairchild Professor of Literature at Colgate University who started giving readings to benefit those less fortunate. "I had somehow wished the homeless epidemic had been confined to big cities."

He organized a reading at Colgate last April which generated about $600 in donations. Since then, Busch said he has been "calling, writing and making a general nuisance of myself to get other writers involved."

Occasionally, the art museum's capacity crowd would laugh as Stern or Phillips, both reading from fiction pieces, would read a humorous line.

Hirsch, a National Book Award-winning author of three volumes of poetry, also garnered a few chuckles when, mimicking his 4-year-old child, he said, "Now, no fighting, kicking, biting or scratching!"

Mostly, though, the audience sat silent during the presentation, remembering the homeless and focusing on the speakers.

As Macdonald read "The Holy Man Walks Through the Fire," she seemed to want audience members to assess how far the nation has come and how far it has to go. She said the poem has as much relevance today as it did when it was written during the Vietnam War,

"My country has not made it through the fire," she said, concluding her reading with the poem's last line.

Hirsch read from his poem "Three Journeys," which includes a section about a homeless woman living in Detroit.

Howard, a Pulitzer Prize winner and Distinguished Professor, read from his work about a taxidermist living in 19th century Vienna. Phillips, reading a scene from a novel in progress, drew laughter continually as he read about a husband and wife discussing, among other things, meatloaf.

Reading from his poem inspired by saxophonist Charles Gayle, who plays in the streets of New York City, Thomas painted a picture of the destitute, "Under the shudder of Suburbans/ Fuming on the overpass/ A woman in a carton/ She might have asked a husband/ To break down/ And stack beside the drive for heavy trash/ Busies her hands/Folding rags with gracious care/ Into a plastic bag."

'B' LIST DEPARTMENTS DON'T RANK AS STATE BUDGET BATTLES IGNITE

by Meagan McGovern

Several of UH's strongest programs, including architecture, business and the visual and performing arts are literally on the "B" list when it comes to funding, according to a document from the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board.

The document, presented by Stephen Huber at the last University Planning and Policy Council meeting, divides programs in Texas universities between an "A list" -- programs which are priorities in terms of funding -- and a "B list" -- programs which are not as important, said Huber.

"I regard it as a pretty serious document," said Huber, a law professor and the chairman of the UPPC. "It must have been given a whole bunch of thought and discussion."

The UPPC members are responsible for overseeing the current reshaping of UH during the threat of impending budget cuts.

Because UH is undergoing a restructuring process where priorities have to be carefully analyzed and held up to state scrutiny, any concrete evidence of which programs the state regards as important will be looked at during the restructuring process as an indication of how UH can come out on top in the war for state funds.

The document listed such programs as agriculture, communications and business on the "B" list and "if you had to make cutbacks, this is where you would cut," said Janis Monger, co-director of public information for THECB.

However, Bill Jobe, who is the representative for UH at THECB, said the list, compiled by the board's staff, is not meant to be at all conclusive. He said the list was compiled by THECB staff over a year ago and compiled from "the most general criteria imaginable." Although THECB doesn't approve funding for schools, it does develop funding formulas for use by the state legislature.

He did say, though, the programs listed were areas which might be examined "as far as statewide cutting back."

The criteria for the list were statistics in the programs such as productivity, graduation rates, cost effectiveness and how many students were involved, said Jobe.

Another aspect of the list is how many universities in Texas have each program. For instance, the document puts architecture, with 13 bachelor, 11 masters and three doctoral programs, on the "B" list.

Huber said if cutbacks in certain areas were needed, perhaps duplication of programs was something that should be looked at as a criterion for deciding which programs should be cut.

UH, influenced by this list or not, is probably not going to consider losing the architecture school, one of the best in the state, said Huber. But he said in a state with only three large cities, 13 architecture programs in Texas is a bit redundant and other schools may consider cutting their architecture program.

Along the same lines, Texas A&M probably won't cut agriculture, although architecture, with 13 programs in Texas, is on the "B" list, but UH would consider cutting any programs in that area, said Huber.

Because THECB has asked each institution to make its own decisions in the budget process and has not provided any criteria for funding, the board's document may not influence the ultimate decisions made in the restructuring of any individual institution, said Jobe.

However, Monger said even though institutions set their own budget priorities, "I'm sure it influenced institutions."

COLLEGIANS GOING VEGITARIAN; SWITCHING FORM TRADITIONAL DIETS

CPS -- So long, Big Macs and fries. Hello veggie burgers, tofu and bean curd.

A small but growing number of college students, some raised in traditional meat-and-potatoes homes, are banishing steak from their plates and joining the new vegetarian minority.

This shift within the pepperoni pizza generation has caught parents, professors and college cafeteria managers by surprise.

College vegetarians, however, insist their radical eating habits are a matter of compassion, ecological awareness and just plain common sense.

Besides, they are quick to point out, they are in good company. They're following such noted vegetarians as Albert Einstein, Socrates, Gandhi, Leonardo da Vinci, Ralph Waldo Emerson and Bob Dylan, not to mention Candice Bergen and Paul Newman.

Other students, in defense of their "green" lifestyle, quote vegetarian-guru Jeremy Rifkin's new book, "Beyond Beef," which charges that cattle are fed one-third of the grain produced on the planet, which, if given to humans, would feed 1 billion people.

"I think vegetarianism is a sort of natural evolution to a healthier diet. The American diet is not the diet for optimal health," said Sally Clinton, director of the Vegetarian Education Network and coordinator for a vegetarian newsletter for young adults.

Clinton notes the average American eats less than 3.5 servings of fruits and vegetables daily, while vegetarians, to the delight of nutritionists, can put away 10 or more servings at three meals.

The National Cancer Institute has raised the number of recommended daily portions of fruits and vegetables to five.

"You have to combine education with the introduction of vegetarian meals to the cafeteria," said Clinton.

An estimated 8 million to 12 million Americans are vegetarians, for reasons varying from health to religion. Since the National Cancer Institute began its recent campaign touting fruits and vegetables as weapons against cancer, that number is expected to grow.

Clinton noted that though no one is certain how many college-age vegetarians there are, the ranks are growing daily. Most young people become vegetarians for ecological reasons, she said.

"Very few do it for reasons of health," she said. "They are too young really, to be overly concerned with health."

According to researchers in a recent issue of the Journal of Food Products Marketing, "the most recognizable pattern in food consumption behavior in the last 20 years has been the shift away from animal products."

College vegetarians come in several packages.

For example, those who call themselves vegetarians most likely do not consume meat, fish or fowl. An ovo-lacto vegetarian is one who gives the green-light to dairy products and eggs; a lacto vegetarian is one who consumes dairy products but shuns eggs; and an ovo vegetarian shuns dairy products but keeps eggs on the grocery list.

A vegan, however, is a purist and eats absolutely no meat, fish, fowl, dairy products or eggs.

"A lot of young adults are vegans," said Clinton, who pointed out that a vegan, who is often an animal activist, does not purchase or use leather goods or buy products from companies that allow animal testing.

While some collegians are making the commitment to vegetarianism, others are simply eating less red meat and more fish and chicken than ever before, officials say.

"Our students have made it plain that they want less red meat in their diets," said Howard Raber, director of food services at The College of Wooster, in Wooster, Ohio. "We've had many, many more requests than ever before for fish and chicken and non-meat entrees."

This fall will see new dishes in the Wooster cafeteria line including lentils and rice, vegetarian egg rolls, meatless Mexican lasagna, Cincinnati-style meatless chili and zucchini, tomato and Swiss cheese pie.

"I've seen students gradually becoming more conscious of what they eat," said Raber, who has been in charge of feeding Wooster's 1,800 undergraduates for the past 18 years.

Chy Lin, 18, a freshman at the university of Maryland, has been a vegan for the past five months.

"I went through stages. Before this, I was an ovo-vegetarian," said Lin, who said most of her friends are also vegetarians.

"Being a vegan is harder than it would seem to most people. There are so many things with animal ingredients, it's hard to avoid them," she said.

Lin said her family requested that she speak to her family physician about her "strange" eating habits. She found he was as skeptical as her parents.

"He was asking me a lot of questions. I could tell he did not understand it," she said. "He and my parents were just not up-to-date."

Lin brought her own lunch while she was a Baltimore high school student. The cafeteria at the University of Maryland, however, is much more aware of the needs of vegetarians than her high school cafeteria and serves a hot vegetable entree daily.

"Now my mom cooks tofu," said Lin proudly, adding her entire family, while not strict vegetarians, have cut their meat intake drastically and have realized one can be healthy and be a vegetarian.

It is very important the college vegetarian eat a balanced diet, says Virginia Messina, a nutritionist who writes a column for "How on Earth!" -- a national newsletter for young adult vegetarians.

"Base your diet on whole grains and eat at least eight servings of these foods every day. They include bread, pasta, rice, cereal and other grains," she said.

"Include five servings of dried beans, peas, lentils and any product made from soy, plenty of nuts or nut butter, and lots of fruits and vegetables," said Messina, who notes that college men generally need a great deal more food than college women.

Young vegetarians are encouraged to drink plenty of orange juice, as the vitamin C will help their bodies absorb iron.

SOUTH AFRICAN APARTHEID EXPLORED IN SARAFINA!

A young woman who berates her mother and is an accomplice to a murder would receive little sympathy under most circumstances.

However, the actress who portrays a South African teenager in <I>Sarafina!<P> effectively pulls the viewer into her poignant story. Directed by Darrell James Roodt and based on the highly-successful theatrical musical, which ran on Broadway and received five Tony Award nominations, <i>Sarafina!<p> is the story of bittersweet childhood experiences as seen through the eyes of a young teenager named Sarafina.

She is caught, as are the other school children of Soweto, between the reality of violence and the hope for freedom. Mary

Masembuko, Sarafina's history teacher, challenges her and others to reject the inaccurate portrayals of Africans as passive, worthless participants in history.

Unfortunately, the complex web of reality in South Africa entangles people even when they have committed no bad deeds. Masembuko, singled out as an troublemaker, is eventually threatened by state police because she is perceived as a poisoner of minds who purposely disregards the prescribed curriculum.

One of Sarafina's hopes is to witness the return of Nelson Mandela from his imprisonment. An outgoing girl interested in portraying Mandela in a school production, she is crushed when her teacher discourages any such production.

Although it takes her a long time to discover why, Sarafina eventually learns the lesson behind her teacher's reluctance.

The film, one in a long line of motion pictures with South Africa as a setting (such as <I>Mandela, Cry Freedom, A World Apart<P> and <I>A Dry White Season<P>), is worthy of viewing because it gives the children a voice, something many of the children of the 1976 Soweto school riots did not have. It is most evident in the burial scene as they shout with fervor.

The strong script, written by Mbongeni Ngema and William Nicholson, is not actor-proof, but is well-written enough to bring freshness to a story set in 1986.

The most stirring moments of the film, such as the time when Guitar (a young man who plays the acoustic guitar) explains the rationale behind his traitorous actions, are treated effectively and executed convincingly.

Song and dance are used to showcase the richness of the South African culture that flourishes in a stifling environment.

In the role of the defiant teacher, Whoopi Goldberg shows her versatility, succeeding in moments of humorous interpretation and intense, emotionally-powerful scenes.

Leleti Khumalo, a 21-year-old actress, brings credibility to the role of Sarafina. Her portrayal of the girl who learns to respect her servant mother and endure torturous shock treatments and verbal abuse is good enough to carry the film even in the absence of Goldberg.

Good performances by Miriam Makeba ("Angelina"), Mbongeni Ngema ("Sabela"), Sipho Kunene ("Guitar"), Robert Whithead ("Interrogator") and David Manqele ("Preacher") fleshed out a story which could have been treated in an overly-sentimental fashion.

Cinematographer Mark Vicente proves he has an eye for film adaptations of musicals and the use of lenses to capture tight and panoramic shots.

Roodt, a 29-year-old South African, shows promise as a director. His use of slow motion and sound editing helps make the film interesting.

In what is one of the best scenes of the film, Roodt has his cast walk from the midst of darkness, carrying torches and singing for a South Africa in which a young woman or man will not have to live as Sarafina does.

ATTENTION TO THE VERY LAST DETAIL HELPS LAST OF THE MOHICANS

Sally Pouncy

Daniel Day-Lewis is carving out more than just trees with his hatchet in his new movie <I>The Last of the Mohicans<P>, he is trying to carve a place for himself among the Hollywood box-office attractions.

Day-Lewis stars as Nathaniel (Hawkeye), a rugged frontiersman who was adopted at birth by a Mohican Indian and raised in the ways of the Indians. Nathaniel is well respected among the colonists of 1757, but he refuses to join the militia going to fight for the British against the French during a war for the colonies.

Instead Nathaniel, his adopted father and brother save a British officer and two sisters from an attack and escort them to the English held fort William Henry.

On the way to the fort the war that is raging takes it's toll on Nathaniel. He sees the death of his friends, falls for Cora and is accused of sedition against the British. He is sentenced to death by hanging.

Hanging the star of the movie could cause major problems for the rest of the show. So, Nathaniel escapes the hangman's noose and ends up fighting Indians, the French, the officer he saved and Cora's father for the woman he loves.

Day-Lewis is definitely hoping this movie will give him star power among American audiences. As the frontiersman Nathaniel, (Hawkeye) Day-Lewis runs full speed across fields, up hills and into waterfalls bare chested and in buckskins, and all the while he's wielding a tomahawk, killing bad guys and saving the girl.

Nathaniel comes alive within Day-Lewis. The reason for the depth of the character may have something to do with the actor's penchant for throwing himself into his roles. Day-Lewis spent eight months working with director Michael Mann prior to shooting.

The two spent several weeks at a wilderness training camp in Alabama learning how to hunt and skin game, use period weapons; like the flintlock rifle, tomahawk and knife. Day-Lewis worked on his body and his dialect to find the soul of his character Hawkeye.

Day-Lewis can thank Mann for making Hawkeye look so good on paper. Mann is religiously following the Hollywood formula for a box office hit. There is plenty of violence to go along with the snappy one liners and the climax happens roughly five minutes before the upbeat ending.

Mann can't be criticized too much for his dip into the mainstream movie method. He did pay acute attention to the detail inside the film. The excess he went to with the wilderness training was only the beginning.

Mann had all of the costumes for the Indians and Europeans specially made. The production company could not find any historically accurate costumes, so they made their own. French cannons and mortars had to be built from scratch as well as a replica of Fort William Henry.

The attention he paid to the set carried over into his work with the actors. Actress Madeleine Stowe delivered a touching performance as the lady love of Hawkeye, Cora Munro. Cherokee actor Wes Studi oozes evil as the vindictive Magua, who wants to kill Cora's father and eat his heart.

Over all, the movie is well worth the cost of the ticket. It has something for everyone and won't take up an entire evening to see it.

COPY THIS: FROM CLASSROOM TO SOAPBOX, PLAGIARISM THRIVES

(CPS) - A marginal student, at the end of the term, turns in a major paper that is academically perfect -- brilliant thoughts, wonderful analogies and insightful analysis.

Unfortunately, the words aren't his.

The student has taken paragraphs verbatim out of a research book and included them in his paper without citing the author. In real terms, this student is a thief. He is stealing someone else's work and passing it off as his own.

Plagiarism, which comes from the Latin, meaning kidnapper or literary thief, brings up a plethora of knotty problems for students and academicians.

If a professor suspects a student of plagiarism, how should the case be handled? Do students get enough background on plagiarism to understand what it is? With rapid advances in the ability to make copies and printouts of print and electronic media, how does modern technology fit into the scheme of defining plagiarism and its consequences?

These questions tend to muddy an already gray area.

Plagiarism has existed as long as people have written and despite widespread knowledge that it is a form of academic cheating, it still is practiced.

"If students do not understand the importance of doing their own work and being honest intellectually, they will fail to understand that when they get into the work world," said Elizabeth Baer, dean of faculty at Gustavus Adolphus College in Minnesota.

"It is necessary for colleges to get students to understand the gravity of it. We need to help them (students) to understand that it is not acceptable," she said.

Plagiarism occurs at all levels of college, from the freshman year to doctoral work. Some cases have received extensive publicity, according to The Chronicle of Higher Education and other sources, include:

The Rev. Martin Luther King Jr., the slain civil rights leader who plagiarized much of his doctoral dissertation. King received his doctorate in 1955 from Boston University. A panel investigated the finding, made public by Stanford University researchers at the Martin Luther King Jr. Papers Project, and upheld the plagiarism charge in 1991.

H. Joachim Maitre, the dean of Boston University's College of Communications, resigned in 1991 after he used several passages of an article in a commencement speech without citing the author.

U.S. Sen. Joe Biden, D-Del., admitted in 1987 he plagiarized part of a law school paper in 1965. He copied five pages from a law review in a 15-page paper without citing the source while at Syracuse University Law School. While running as a Democratic presidential candidate in 1987, he also used quotations in speeches from former British Labor Party leader Neil Kinnock and the late Sen. Robert F. Kennedy without giving them credit.

These are well-known cases that received much attention in the nation's media. But plagiarism also exists on a much quieter and anonymous level, from the student who copies verbatim out of research books and passes it on as his or her own work in freshman composition to doctoral candidates who secretly use the services of research companies.

"I see it as a very critical problem. It seems to me that the incidence of plagiarism has increased in the past 10 years," said Kevin Brien, a professor of philosophy at Washington College in Chestertown, Md. "I see it as something that is eroding academic institutions. Unless we work collectively to turn it around, we will continue to have problems."

Sometimes students plagiarize out of desperation because they are weak writers or because they didn't work on their assignments until the very end of the term. Other students say they do not know what plagiarism is, an excuse that doesn't wash with academicians.

"I believe 95 percent of college students understand what plagiarism is; they receive information about it from high school on," Barbara Hetrick, Dean of Academic Affairs at Hood College in Frederick, MD said.

"In most instances, students may not have given themselves enough time to complete the assignment, or in some cases, they may have felt over their heads academically, so rather than talk with the faculty member, they stole someone's work to pass," she said.

It is difficult to put a definitive number on the rate of plagiarism cases. Many cases may be dealt with privately between the instructor and student, while other cases may go before a panel of students and faculty members for consideration and possible punishment.

The Higher Education Research Institute at the University of California-Los Angeles, which does annual freshman student surveys, used to ask questions about cheating, but does not any longer. Some schools told students not to fill out the section on cheating, so researchers stopped asking the questions, a spokeswoman said.

An average of 300,000 students a year are surveyed at 600 institutions. In 1988, the last year the cheating section was included in the survey, 36.6 percent of the respondents said they cheated on a test in school, while 57.1 percent said they copied homework from another student. If cheating on this level exists, it is fair to assume similar rates of plagiarism will exist, school officials said.

In fraternity and sorority houses, in dorm lounges, even in classified ads in youth-oriented newspapers and magazines, term papers are openly peddled. Papers written by other students, and/ or research done by companies that specialize in providing term papers to students can be turned in to instructors and passed off as the students' own work.

In Rolling Stone's classified section, companies routinely advertise researcher papers for sale. The cost can range from $7.50 a page for undergraduate-level papers to $50 a page for custom research at the master's and doctorate level. According to the companies, research is done by staff researchers who have advanced degrees or have been in business for many years.

George Thomas Wilson, classified advertising director for Rolling Stone, said "there are obvious ethical problems" with such services. He said students could use the papers just for research, "but obviously that probably isn't the case. There is no control once it is in their hands. On the surface, we can't know what they're going to do with it but one can certainly surmise. Who's to say?"

Hetrick, from Hood College, said instructors get to know a student's work and turning in a paper that is different in style and approach could signal a plagiarism attempt.

"Professors get to know writing styles pretty well. I'm sure they become suspicious if something is going on," Hetrick said.

Hood has an academic honor code that is run by students and suspected plagiarism cases go to the Academic Judicial Council, which is made up of students and faculty members. If students are suspected of plagiarizing, they are expected to turn themselves in to the council and present their case. They may flunk the paper, the course, or in extreme cases, be kicked out of school.

"The system works at Hood. I think there is an awareness of plagiarism. If they don't know, they will ask," Hetrick said. "They are very conscious of it."

COUGARS SET FOR SHOWDOWN IN ANN ARBOR

by Keith Rollins

There's been another Elvis sighting in Michigan and John Jenkins and Co. are on their way to investigate first hand.

The Cougars take on the Elvis Grbac-led Michigan Wolverines, ranked No. 4 in the nation, in Ann Arbor this Saturday, the first time ever the two teams have met.

After beating Illinois last week 31-13, the Cougars (1-1-0) are riding a much-needed wave of confidence into the game.

Michigan, however, is favored in the contest by 18 points. But Head Coach John Jenkins isn't ready to back down.

"We feel we are ready for this opponent. We're excited," Jenkins said.

The players, despite all the national hype, are taking the game in stride.

"Everyone makes Michigan out as such a big deal. Sure, they're big and strong up front, but we will be prepared," Defensive End Kevin LaBay said.

Michigan (1-0-1) gained their first victory last week against Oklahoma St., 35-3. Grbac sat on the sideline with a sprained ankle, so his backup Todd Collins took the reins, setting a school record against the Cowboys with 29 completions.

Grbac suffered the injury in a 17-17 tie against Notre Dame in the Wolverines' first game. He is back, though, and will start against the Cougars.

Houston will counter with their passing happy quarterback tandem -- Donald Douglas and Jimmy Klingler. They will face a Michigan defense that has limited their opponents to an average of 140.5 passing yards per game and has yet to allow a passing touchdown.

Houston's defense will not only have to contend with Grbac's air attack, but will have to stymie Michigan's running game as well.

Junior running backs Ricky Powers and Jesse Johnson will lead a Wolverine running brigade that has averaged 176 yards per game.

The Cougars' TiAndre Sanders and Lawrence McPherson will attempt to offset Michigan's tandem. They have compiled 203 rushing yards so far. Douglas will add to that total if forced out of the pocket. He ran for 71 yards last week against Illinois.

The Wolverines' Desmond Howard-less receiving corps have rebounded with Senior Derrick Alexander as their go-to man. Alexander is averaging 6.5 catches for 97.5 yards per game. He also caught a 44-yard TD pass against Oklahoma St.

On the other hand, Cougar receivers are averaging 30 catches for 329.5 yards per game.

The game's outcome may be decided in the trenches. Michigan's offensive line averages 286 pounds against the Cougar's defensive line's 256 pounds. The Wolverines will have to contend with Houston's newborn quickness that recorded eight sacks against Illinois last week.

NETTERS TO BATTLE IN FLORIDA

By Heather Ellis

As the Lady Cougars fly to Florida this weekend, Head Coach Bill Walton will probably spend their hang time on the plane finding ways to improve their killing abilities.

The team heads to Florida to play seventh-ranked Florida and top-ranked Florida State.

Walton foresees tough competition from both teams.

"Florida State has some big attackers. It will be a battle against both teams. Florida is no one to take lightly, either."

The Cougars lead the series with Florida State, 7-2. The Lady Seminoles finished last season with a 16-15 record, ending their season in fifth place in the Atlantic Coast Conference.

On Sept. 26, Houston will travel to Gainesville, Fla., to face the Gators. Florida leads the series with Houston 2-1. The team finished last season 15-2, in first place in the Southeast Conference. Their winning record let them reach the third round of NCAA championships.

The 5-4 Lady Cougars took all of the hoot out of the Rice Owls Wednesday night, kicking off what promises to be an exciting SWC season.

Fired up and ready to play, the Cougars came out with both barrels loaded. They shot the Owls out of the sky the first game, blocking being the key to success. They won 15-4, 15-13, and 15-7.

Ashley Mulkey played exceptionally well, posting a .692 hitting percentage. Her hard work paid off and she was named Player of the Game.

"I was pumped up. We made a few mistakes, but we played well. We were fired up at the same time," she said.

The team did play well, however Coach Walton believes that to consistently win, the senior players must produce on the front line; this includes an increase of hitting percentages, blocks and kills.

"Four seniors start as attackers. We need those players to hit for percentages. They have to kill those balls."

Walton's answer to this problem includes improved setting and passing. He believes at least two of the four starters must come through for the team.

He also had words of praise for his team, citing how Houston blocked Rice for points.

A literal high point came at the end of the third match, when Sophomore Heidi Sticksel, the shortest member of the team standing at just 5'7", scored the final point of the game. Her team went wild for her as she jumped almost over the net for the point.

IN YOUR FACE

COUGAR BLOCKER HARMONSON EXCELS ON, OFF COURT

By Heather Ellis

Some people are destined to accomplish certain feats in life. Beethoven was meant to create breathtaking music. Leonardo Da Vinci was born to paint beautiful works of art. As for Janelle Harmonson, she too was meant to pursue and perfect an art form -- volleyball.

Harmonson, a senior and a five-year member playing outside attacker for the Lady Cougars Volleyball team, can definitely boast an athletic background.

"I wanted to play all sports available. Basketball, volleyball, track and softball. I just wanted to be outside playing anything."

There is no way Harmonson could escape being involved with sports. Her grandmother was a coach for a high school football team and her father was awarded a basketball scholarship and played college ball.

An admitted tomboy, Harmonson shied away from cooking and sewing classes at her private school in Long Beach, California.

The turning point in her athletic career came when she was in eighth grade.

"My family moved to San Diego and I was exposed to a lot of different sports. I just did what came natural and did what the coaches told me to do."

Just a year later she and her family moved back to Long Beach and she began to hone her craft.

"I was back at my private school and as a freshman I was playing on varsity teams. I felt that I wasn't being challenged, so I transferred to Wilson High School and decided that volleyball was what I wanted to play."

Each of her four years there the volleyball team went to the state finals.

She was also involved in club volleyball, which gave her exposure to different coaches, as well as a chance to be recruited. Through club play she got the chance to play in Europe. From this, a new love was born.

"I love to see new things. I don't mind going new places if that is where I need to go. I have been bitten by the travel bug." she said with smile.

Harmonson landed in Houston mainly because of the persistence of Head Coach Bill Walton.

"Bill would not let me go. Other coaches called me, some all the way from Alaska, but I knew and said to myself, this could be it."

Walton knew a good thing when he saw it and was not going to let her slip out of his hands.

"I was at a tournament and saw her playing. I noticed that she wasn't signed with anyone. I thought that she was a junior; when I found out that she was a senior, I wanted to talk to her about playing for Houston."

Harmonson had not been signed with any teams because of an ankle injury that had kept her off of the court and in a cast.

Since her early days as a Cougar, Harmonson has compiled some impressive statistics. She is only the third player in school history to record over 800 kills and 800 career digs. This far into the season she is already leading the team in digs .

"This is Jan's best start ever. It is rare to find a player that can play both middle and outer blocker. Nobody on the team plays better all-round volleyball," Walton said.

Besides her participation in volleyball, she is also taking 15 hours and volunteers at St. Joseph's Hospital eight hours a week, working with the physical therapy patients.

She's majoring in community health and minoring in psychology.

"I want to help people. I might coach volleyball after I graduate. I might go to graduate school and be an assistant coach somewhere."

Regardless of where she goes, she will continue to live by her way of thinking.

"Anything a person has to offer is worth something. People should encourage others to do the best that they can."

COLLEGE CAMPUSES NEW FRONT IN '92 BATTLE FOR PRESIDENCY

(CPS) -- This year's presidential election promises to be a slugfest, not only between the presidential candidates, but between college students who support the Democratic or Republican candidates.

Consider what Bill Spadea, national youth director for the Bush-Quayle campaign, thinks of the opposition: "Kids hate the Democrats. They are not in touch with family values and mainstream America."

Responds Erin Mullan, project director for Vote For a Change, a coalition of Democratic youth groups said "The Republicans have no facts behind them to support their beliefs."

Fighting words, indeed.

The tone of this year's presidential election, analysts say, is ugly -- attack, counterattack and attack again. And the analogy of battle trickles down to the college level, especially among the college Republican National Committee and the College Democrats of America and their ancillary organizations.

"This is a fundamental battle, actually a war, of ideas for the soul of the country," Spadea said.

The opening salvo was fired at the Republican Convention in Houston in late August when Democratic national chairman Ron Brown and other party members tried to hold a news conference in a restaurant, about 100 young Republicans banged on the windows and waved signs that read, "Family Rights forever. Gay Rights Never" and "Inhale This!" The New York Times reported.

While the incident may have been spontaneous, it received the blessing of Jeanie Austin, a co-chairwoman of the Republican National Committee, the paper reported.

"There was going to be a big press conference by the other side and the young people heard about it, so they went over and became, let us say, part of it," she said. "That was good.

"We did not plan the protest. But I have no problems with it," Spadea said. "It was not officially sanctioned, but it will happen again. Republicans are going to play hardball."

However, Tony Zagotta, chairman of the College Republicans, said Republican youth held no demonstrations that he knew of and the Republican Youth Coalition was created for the convention and no longer exists. Spadea said the coalition does exist and works closely with the college Republicans on several projects.

College Democrats, said Adam Kriesel, director of the organization's voter registration drive, don't plan to use such tactics.

"We don't disrupt anything. We have more important things to do," he said from the College Democrat's Washington headquarters.

The College Democrats, with approximately 400 chapters nationwide and 40,000 members, planned three events for this fall. One is an ongoing movement to register students on campuses. The other two are sanctioned through Vote For a Change, which is a coalition of Democratic organizations.

On Sept. 18, Vote For a Change held National Voter Registration Day on about 1,000 college campuses. The vice presidential candidate, Sen. Al Gore of Tennessee spoke on the University of Maryland campus. Arkansas Gov. Bill Clinton, the presidential candidate, also spoke.

On Oct. 16, the Democrats will hold National Student Day, which will draw the press and students together to discuss election issues and try to educate people about the election.

Spadea said College Republicans and the Republican Youth Coalition, working together, will create a grassroots effort. He said there are about 110,000 College Republicans on 1,100 campuses. "With those numbers there is no limit with what you can do," he said. "We will use the army to hit the streets."

The Republicans are also organizing local media "hits" with leadership conferences this fall. The media will be invited to the conferences in which students will be told about the election process and issues in the campaign.

Spadea, who called college and university professors the "liberal intelligentsia and the cultural elite who push P.C. (political correctness)," said most students are against abortion and "militant feminism and homosexuality."

He also told The Harvard Crimson that many young Republicans consider themselves farther to the right than Bush. "The president is not as conservative as we would like," he said.

David Chappell, who is entering Duke University in North Carolina this fall, told the paper: "I love Bush, don't get me wrong. But I am much more conservative than him."

However, a poll done by the higher Education Research Institute, located at the University of California-Los Angeles, suggests that college students are more liberal now than in the past.

The 1991 freshmen survey is an annual poll of first-year students sponsored by the American Council on Education.

"The widespread claims of growing 'conservatism' among American college students are not reflected in the freshman survey data," the report states. Students who referred to themselves as being liberal or "far left" increased to 25.7 percent in 1991, compared with 23.6 percent in 1989. Conversely, the number of conservative or "far right" students declined in 1991 to 20.3 percent, from 22.8 percent in 1989.