FACULTY DISPUTES WHICH WAY THE UH RESTRUCTURING WIND BLOWS

by Meagan McGovern

In Wednesday's university reshaping meeting, five UH faculty members disagreed about whether the impending budget cuts from Austin will be a breeze to get through or a hurricane against which UH has little protection.

"Let me tell you what's going on, folks. It's like Miami Beach two days before that hurricane," said Stephen Huber, a law professor. "Some of the faculty are like surfers, saying, 'Oh boy, surf's up, let's go for it.' There's a hurricane two days out there, folks."

But George Reiter, a physics professor, said, "It isn't a hurricane, it's a created system. It's created by people's choice," he said. "If the wind is blowing, we might as well do some sailing."

The meeting, called to discuss the reshaping of UH, was part of the "Scholarship and Community" conference held in the UH Hilton.

Panelists, including UH President James Pickering, discussed restructuring the university while focusing all UH's resources on the most needy areas .

Because Texas is facing a huge deficit, cuts to higher education are expected during the next legislative session. In order to prepare for the cuts, UH has to decide what its most important priorities are.

"No one should think that anyone in this institution has the answers," Pickering said. "I don't have them. Steve Huber doesn't have them. Members of the staff and faculty and students don't have them. But I think it's our abiding belief that because of the kind of institution we are and the kind of people who are here, that together if we will, we can find some of those answers."

The University Planning and Policies Council, headed by Huber, is overseeing the reshaping.

Over three months into the reshaping, faculty said they still were unsure of what to expect, but held strong views about what they wanted.

Research vs. teaching was an issue every panelist raised, at one point comparing faculty to the goose that laid the golden egg.

Gail Brazeau, chair of the session and an assistant professor of pharmaceutics and pharmacology, said not taking care of faculty was akin to destroying the goose to get to the golden egg, in this case the production, research and scholarly activities of the faculty. She stressed faculty as the most important area to protect in the reshaping.

Another panelist, assistant English professor Ann Christensen, said she arrived at UH expecting to concentrate on teaching, not research. That idea, she said, soon changed. "I'm not exactly calling it a 'bait and switch' operation, but only later did I see that teaching is only one of the measures of productivity here," she said.

Brazeau said UH has to rethink its goals as part of the reshaping process. She quoted Einstein as having said, "The significant problems we face can not be solved at the level of thinking we were at when we created them."

Overall, the session left the faculty confident of finding the answers, eventually, to the questions that lay ahead, but with the understanding that finding them might not be easy. "Can the rules change? Damn right the rules can change," said Huber. " We'd all better be ready for them to change."

*******************************************************

RESEARCH GRANTS POUR MONEY INTO UH COLLEGES

by Jeff Balke

Research grants account for millions of dollars poured into UH each year.

"Attachment, Autonomy and Patterns of Adolescent Drinking," one such research project, is headed by Thomas Power, an associate professor of psychology, and assisted by David Francis, also an associate professor of psychology.

Their research, funded by the National Institute for Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA), is worth $1.2 million over five years.

The project, according to Francis, is designed to study the developmental process of teens who drink alcohol. The study began in September, 1990, and is set up to find the difference between use and abuse.

Francis said a lot of research had already been done on adults, but "the issues affecting adolescents differ from adults. What is typical (in teens) is a period of significant alcohol use that drops off and stabilizes to socially acceptable levels after high school."

The project is unique in that it will articulate a model for change, Francis said.

"The NIAAA wanted us to adjust our questionnaires for ethnic groups, so we spent the first two years testing them," said Francis. He said the researchers assumed the major differences in adolescent alcohol use would not be between separate racial groups. "We expect to see the major differences within each race studied," he said.

The project goes into schools this week.

Francis also heads a project of his own, "Detecting Reading Problems by Modeling Individual Growth."

He and Barbara Foorman, a specialist in reading and language, study children between kindergarten and second grade to detect future problems the children may encounter with reading.

Francis said, "The idea is to detect that a child is learning at a lower-than-normal rate and intervene early."

Francis said normally only children with inherent learning disorders receive help and those with environmentally induced problems are neglected. "Any failure to develop reading skills requires intervention," he said.

Francis and Foorman have worked together on other projects before. His affinity for data interpretation and children, combined with her experience with reading and language skills, make a perfect match. Foorman said, "A graduate student brought us together on another project."

This four year, federally-funded project is in its second year. The original budget was around $200,000 a year, but the project suffered a 22 percent cut.

Francis admits it will be tough to fund the entire project but they will make necessary cuts to compensate. The cuts affect summer salaries and some equipment, but not personnel.

The project received federal, state and local grants, as well as donations from private industry.

COMPTROLLER EXPECTS PUBLIC TO HELP BAIL TEXAS OUT OF ESCALATING EDUCATIONAL CRISIS

by Deborah Hensel

The most important people at UH are those in the classroom-- the students and the faculty, according to Texas Comptroller John Sharp in his address to the Faculty Senate conference Wednesday at UH Hilton.

"We tend to forget that every single day," he said. "And, when we cut back, we sometimes cut in the wrong places."

Sharp's speech, "The Perspective from Austin," was part of an all-day conference called "Scholarship and Community, the Public University in the 21st Century."

As an example of inappropriate cuts in education, Sharp referred to a recent incident in which Dallas Independent School District announced it needed to fire 318 teachers.

The public was outraged. The state was called and subsequently conducted an audit in which they recommended DISD cut 126 administrators instead. Sharp said these recommendations were implemented four weeks ago. Teachers' paperwork has been cut in half as a result, he said.

"If we expect the public to commit resources, we have to convince them that we are spending money wisely in this $30 billion corporation we call Texas," he said.

"We are convinced we do a good job in higher education in Texas, but not in vocational education," Sharp said. Spending money on vocational and technical programs that train people for limited jobs is spending money in the wrong place, he said.

"To get correct answers, ask your customers -- students and the businesses that hire them -- what they'd like you to produce," Sharp said.

"I don't view this system--particularly this flagship -- as being a university confined to (serving) a 50-mile radius," he said. "I view your role as a state-wide role."

Texas has a huge advantage over other states -- one that is becoming clearer every time a new industry moves in, he said.

Tax breaks have nothing to do with it, but demographics do. The influx of young families into Texas and a high birthrate means that, in 20 years, there will be more 20-year-olds here than in any other part of the country, he said.

The availability of a trained work force is the first thing businesses look for, Sharp said.

When asked about pay raises for state employees, Sharp said the state has found 3 percent of required funds from the start-up of the state lottery.

"By mid-November we will make a decision about the other 3 percent," he said. "If everything stays on track, that 3 percent will be certified by Jan. 1 when the legislature meets."

PROF BALANCES FAMILY WITH RESEARCH, TEACHING

by Jeff Balke

David Francis still finds time to take his daughter to softball practice while juggling teaching, researching, computing and consulting.

Francis, 36, is a Detroit native who received his undergraduate degree at Kalamazoo College in Michigan and attended UH for his doctorate in psychology, specializing in neuropsychology and statistics -- especially those areas involving children.

Francis, an associate professor in the psychology department, has his hands full with four research grants, a tight schedule of teaching graduate courses and fixing computer problems in his department.

Francis studies reading development in young children and adolescent drinking.

In fact, he is the principle investigator for his project, "Detecting Reading Problems by Modeling Individual Growth," a study of children between kindergarten and second grade.

The study focuses on children who haven't developed reading skills. It examines problems the child might have -- whether physical or due to the child's surroundings -- and provides early detection of learning disorders, Francis said.

Francis also works as a computer consultant for the psychology department. He said he mainly works with the administration on planning and allocating computer-use fees.

Francis learned computers through hands-on experience in graduate school. Because he is a statistics teacher, the department took it for granted he knew about computers; he now spends a great deal of time working on them.

The statistics specialist admits he loves manipulating data and numbers, and perfecting methods of evaluating them on the computer. "Unfortunately, though, I spend most of my time in meetings," he said.

Meetings aside, Francis spends time enjoying yet another facet of his career. Teaching. "What we (professors) teach students is how to ask and answer questions. That is basically methodology," he said, referring to his passion with numbers.

Even with all his responsibilities, he still has time for his family. He commutes to Sugarland to take one daughter to softball practice and takes time out to attend his other daughter's school functions.

"My wife says I work too much," he said. This may be true, but his wife works on one of the grants with him.

STUDENT ENROLLMENT INCREASES AS FUNDING FOR EDUCATON DECREASES

by Kim Copelin

Universities need to work harder to educate their students, according to a North Dakota University administrator.

Earle Chaffee, the NDU vice chancellor for academic affairs, said better-educated undergraduate students will make better citizens, giving back to society the knowledge they garnered from their colleges. Chaffee was the keynote speaker at "The Changing Mission of Higher Education" conference at the UH Hilton Wednesday.

"We are part of a system whose core is public benefit," she said.

"If it were not for the expectation that what we do in higher education benefits the public at large and benefits individual participants, why would we exist?"

Chaffee said the decreasing number of students attending college, budget cuts and increasing criticism are three major organizational threats to universities that have surfaced in the last 20 years.

She said after the Vietnam War and the baby boom ended, universities found they needed more students, and they responded with successful recruitment programs.

"We got more students, but one of the side effects was cost increase. To the extent that we were not funded, equipped or willing to meet the education needs of new kinds of students, some of these students may have gone away disillusioned. We eventually found ourselves again with enrollment problems," she said.

Chaffee said because of money problems, universities have raised tuition rates and have made substantial budget cuts.

"Those measures did alleviate the financial strain in the short term. But eventually, students expect more quality when they pay a higher price. We were using the added tuition to maintain quality, not increase it, and cutting budgets meant fewer services, so students began to feel they were getting less value for the dollar," said Chaffee.

She added, "Because of these side effects we found we had a rising tide of criticism to deal with. We have made more serious efforts to answer and inform, with the aim of converting critics to fans of higher education.

"Perhaps the public sees our explanations as defense mechanisms, as unwillingness to listen and to change, which increases their frustration. Or maybe we and our critics are applying different kinds of standards," she said.

Chaffee said, "Knowing the needs is pointless unless we are willing to become learning organizations that are engaged in constant change."

In response to Chaffee's speech, Tatcho Mindiola, director of Mexican-American Studies, said the university's mission isn't to solve the world's problems but the university should address public need.

He said UH did this in traditional ways, referring to an effort by the university to offer English classes to high school students on the UH campus.

Mindiola said, "I believe it is a noble effort, but I think the faculty should go there and see and feel their environment and become more sensitive to their lifestyle."

Mindiola also commented on the demand by universities for students to take college entrance exams.

"Students are required to take the SAT or ACT, but public schools and UH don't take a significant part in preparing students for these exams," Mindiola said.

Ross Lence, associate professor of political science, also responded to Chaffee's speech.

Lence said, "It is an irresponsible approach to bring in thousands of students and then pay them no heed when they get here. I believe if one brings them here one has an obligation to get them out."

The conference was sponsored by UH and its faculty senate.

FACULTY PROPOSES BUSINESS SOLUTINS TO GET PAST BUDGET CUTBACK PROBLEMS

by Rachel Gewirtz

UH professors, calling for faculty unity, gathered Wednesday to discuss institutional values.

Faculty speakers discussed reconciling conflicting priorities for the university Wednesday during the Scholarship and Community conference at he UH Hilton.

"We have to ask ourselves: What is our mission? We have an identity crisis. With these budget cuts we can no longer do everything for everyone," said Sara Freedman, associate dean in business administration.

Some of the problems are caused by the state budget cutbacks, said Jean Latting, associate professor of social work.

"We have disgruntled alumni," she said. "Students have classes of 200 and never get a chance to speak to their professors. Registration lines are too long. Students can barely get call-backs from the financial aid office.

"We don't have the money to fix these problems. When we have disgruntled students, we have disgruntled legislature, then we don't have funds. This is happening in higher education institutions all over the country."

Other questions arose in the discussion, such as: Will more money be given to undergraduate or graduate studies? Should professors focus more on teaching or research?

Latting proposed a management quality-improvement plan that has been successful at the University of Arizona, Fordham University and Wayne State University.

The plan, meant to be efficient and economical, trains professors to work in groups and make decisions by consensus. Cross-departmental teams would identify the customer, decide how to best serve the client and continually improve processes and services. "If we work smarter, cost savings will occur," said Latting

Freedman discussed three concepts to remember while working toward the university goals:

*Relevance. The evaluation of a constituency to find out what programs are relevant.

*Responsibility. Faculty needs to take responsibility for services offered .

*Integrity. The need to maintain appropriate academic services

"We can't say we'll do certain things just because the state tells us to. We are providing services internationally as well as to Houston and all of Texas," said Freedman.

John Butler, associate dean of natural sciences and mathematics, stressed the need for team-work in order to reach goals.

"In the past, people broke away from the team and went in different directions. One way to kill a priority is to let the lead dogs loose and let them go for their own," he said.

CONFERENCE ADDRESSES NEED IN UH AREA, HOW SCHOOL AFFECTS COMMUNITY

by Claudia Gutierrez de Velasco

Wednesday's Scholarship and Community conference considered ways UH can help solve community problems by interacting with area schools. Several schools near UH, such as Yates High School, Ryan Middle School and some elementary schools, have the students and professors, and the abilities and resources needed by children, said Garnet Coleman of the Texas House of Representatives during the session, "The Neighborhood Perspective."

Representatives should go into the neighborhood, he said, and talk to students about education and encourage them to study once they graduate from high school,.

Coleman outlined math and science programs he felt would benefit from mentors and teaching assistants. "A group of people got together last week to talk about comprehensive plans within the UH community," Coleman said.

One program involved considering the effect an expanding institution will have on the neighborhood. The question that usually arises is whether the expansion will harm or improve the neighborhood, he said.

William Lawson, pastor of Wheeler Avenue Baptist Church, was more concerned with the people living around the university, since he is a non-academic outsider.

"We are an organic reality where we are interrelated in such a way that the strangers are rejected. We're not just the Anglo, the black, the Hispanic or the Asian community," he said. "We're all tied together in such a way that we support or hurt each other."

He said UH can help to influence and improve education by finding ways to serve the needs of dysfunctional families.

Many families are faced with daily survival while parents are away recovering from drug habits or serving prison terms, he said. Many times, the children are left to fend for themselves or are bounced back and forth from one relative to another, he said.

Theola Petteway, program director for SHAPE Community Center, feels organizations should work together equally -- institutions, churches and governments.

She introduced an example from a project under the Corporate Child Development Fund. The project focuses on independence, co-dependency and interdependency.

"Independence is defined as movement for the good of oneself. Sacrifices are made to uplift dignity and respect oneself," she said.

Co-dependence is all movement for the good of the business, school, community organizations or for anyone who identifies themselves as a part of the center, Petteway said. Sacrifices become sufferings that undermine the dignity and respect of the community, she said.

The third area Petteway explained, is inner-dependency, where all movement is for the common good of everyone. Petteway introduced seven principles that guide the program and activities that SHAPE is involved with: unity, self determination, collective work and responsibility, cooperative economics, pertinence, unity and faith.

"The Neighborhood Perspective" was sponsored by UH and its Faculty Senate.

UH SHOULD BE MORE INVOLVED WITH BUSINESS, SAYS FUND RAISER

by Heather Wolk

Inadequate college educations may follow students into the job market and the 21st century, according to speakers at UH Hilton Wednesday.

The conference, "The Business Perspectives," dealt with problems students face in tomorrow's job market.

The next generation will change careers five times and will be trained as many as 13 times, according to Jim C. Kollaer, president of the Greater Houston Partnership. He said four of those five careers do not yet exist.

"Ninety percent of the people who will be in the work force in 2010 are already there," said Kollaer.

The corporate community has globalized so it has lost sight of what is going on in the local community, Kollaer said. In order of make educated reforms, educators and universities must involve themselves more in the business and the activities of local communities, he said.

"Today, when a company gives money, you can be sure they'll want a return on their investment. Companies are looking to get something back," he added.

Although labor costs remain high, Kollaer said Houston has the most educated workers in the state and he encouraged universities to keep that cycle going so workers aren't lost to overseas companies.

In a time when there is no stability in the work force, graduates must be more qualified than ever when thrown into the job market, he explained. "They must be taught things that can be used well after 2000.

"Corporations spend about $44 million on training and education. That's not much, considering that public education spends about $345 million," said Kollaer.

He said as Houston becomes more global in its business market, three things must be considered: higher education, the local community and the business community. "People must continue with an education from infancy to infinity. It is called life-long learning.

"Universities must form a framework for learning. Students must be taught how to learn and apply their knowledge to any situation."

The talk was sponsored by the faculty senate. Bill Cook, senate president, said, "We want to alert this university that change is coming. Exactly how it will come about is what we're here to figure out."

Kollaer said he realizes the challenges that face UH are unbelievable. "But let me remind you that there has never been a great city without a great university. We need to make these changes and lead the world into the 21st century."

CARIBBEAN STUDENTS FIND NATION-WIDE NETWORK AT UH

by Hermina Frederick

Members of the Caribbean Students' Organization met Wednesday at the UC Caribbean room to to plan new ways of promoting Caribbean awareness on campus.

The Caribbean islands are closer to the United States than is Japan, said one student, and it is surprising that most Americans think islanders still wear grass skirts and swing in trees.

In order to correct students' misconceptions about the islands and its people, CSO plans to produce activities to highlight the social and literary aspects of Caribbean culture. The group kicks off its calendar of activities in October with a bake sale and food fair.

Caribbean students make up less than 1 percent of UH student population. The majority come from Jamaica and Trinidad, while others call Barbados, St. Lucia, Dominica, St. Thomas or St. Croix their home. "Interest in the organization had slowed for a while ," said Collette Dennis, CSO president, "but it was revitalized three years ago."

CSO staff adviser Norwell Clarke said that in addition to the customary social events, the organization functions as a support group for new Caribbean students entering UH. Membership is open to all students.

The Caribbean islands extend in an arc from Cuba to Trinidad at the southern end of the arc and includes the continental territories of Guyana, Belize, Surinam and French Guiana.

The entire region holds more than 30 million predominantly black inhabitants. From the rich legacy of British, French, Dutch and Spanish colonization remains the variegated lingua franca which islanders speak -- English, French, Dutch and an odd mixture of all three called patois..."Kom ya mon."

From an equally rich treasure chest of music, islanders prance to the tantalizing beat of tribal kotomba, modern strains of reggae and soca and take pride in the art of dancing a "bad piece" of U.S. country and western.

According to U.S. immigration statistics, over 10,000 islanders enter this country each year. West Indians migrate to the United States in search of education, economic advancement and often out of plain wanderlust.

Caribbean students who enter American colleges often feel isolated, so one of CSOs goals is to set up a network of communication embracing Caribbean academic and civic organizations throughout the United States.

Presently, group membership is low, said Dennis, but "we look for more people to join once word gets around."

COLLEGE STUDENTS GO TO FLORIDA TO HELP HURRICANE VICTIMS

Editor's Note: The following is a first-person account of college students' volunteer efforts after Hurricane Andrew. Students from a number of colleges throughout the country have contributed their time and effort or have donated money and goods to hurricane funds to help the victims of Hurricane Andrew. Fifty-eight students from Marietta College in Ohio traveled to Dade County, Fla., over the Labor Day weekend to help survivors of the hurricane. Amy Marchese is a sophomore from Derry, N.H., majoring in radio/television and journalism. She is campus editor for The Marcolian.

By Amy Marchese

Marietta College

MIAMI (CPS) - Try to envision a guard rail rolled and twisted up like a ball of yarn, a piece of metal lodged permanently into a palm tree or one half of a Little Caesar restaurant.

Try to envision entire condominium developments with roofs completely gone or caved in, storage facilities with walls torn enough to see four levels of goods, or hollowed-out strip malls.

Try to envision scrap piles of trees, couches, roof shingles and cars, power lines snaked along streets or windows blown out of skyscrapers.

Try to envision every house in sight with the name of its insurance company and policy number spray-painted on it, helicopters constantly flying overhead or the smell of propane gas, rotten garbage and dead animals.

Welcome to Dade County, Fla. Home to Hurricane Andrew. Land of American disaster.

Think back for a minute to a time in your life when you experienced something you just couldn't explain. That's what Florida was like for me.

When I returned to campus, several people asked me if I had "fun" in Florida. I wouldn't exactly call it "fun." I would just call it an "experience."

Students, Greek or not, man or woman, everyone bonding - something that is rarely seen at Marietta College. That was part of my experience.

Seeing for the first time disaster at 360 degrees and not through the confinements of my television set. That, too, was part of my experience.

And people. Real people. Americans, homeless and poverty-stricken literally overnight. That also was part of my experience.

Anyone who thought that we went down for a relaxing getaway in Florida is terribly mistaken. The students who were willing to travel 941 miles to an unknown area, a disaster-stricken area, an unsafe area, traveled to actually do something. To do whatever was in our power to make any kind of a difference to the less fortunate. And we did.

Our duties at the Miami Dade Community College North Campus were to clean the grounds of fallen trees, branches and brush and sweep the streets. Intense yard work.

Our duties at Cutler Ridge were to unload semis, distribute goods under a tent, transfer the separated goods into the strip malls that we were operating from and pass out goods to the victims that kept a continuous line along the building.

Often I found it difficult to reach some of the victims. I felt badly for them and wanted them to know that I wanted to help, which is a difficult message to convey when you're better off than they are. I nearly felt guilty for taking a hot shower every night we stayed in Dade and having the luxury to wear clean clothes each day. But the victims that we encountered seemed to be very receptive to our efforts and it became easier to interact with them.

If for just a moment, a Marietta student wasn't in view, it felt like being in another country. The kind of country where devastation and poverty run rampant, and the military is always present. The kind of country that I have only seen on CNN. The kind of country that I never thought America would look like.

I tried to imagine what it would be like if a natural disaster as horrible as Hurricane Andrew had torn through my town. I tried to imagine my family and friends without a home, without a job, and without hope. I couldn't.

Now try to imagine being with all types of personalities for an entire weekend and all being able to work together to accomplish a similar goal. Working so hard that your body odor would normally be offensive but everyone smells as bad as you do, so you don't even care. And the feeling of giving so much to someone who has so little that you actually feel warm inside.

I have only one regret. Coming home.

Our efforts were appreciated more than any of us will ever know, but our duties didn't end because we left. Volunteers are not enough, and it felt as if we were leaving a job unfinished.

I would go back tomorrow if I could. And if Marietta College does make a return voyage to Miami, I hope that more students and even faculty will take up this phenomenal opportunity.

And it's too bad that some people who didn't go found our trip a waste of time. They are naive and ignorant. I will never give up the opportunity to help someone in desperate need again.

So many volunteers working at the relief center were amazed that a bunch of college students would travel a thousand miles via van to aid victims in a part of the country that they could easier forget about than help. So many of us felt it was a responsibility to help and think it's pretty lousy that other colleges haven't done the same.

Getting back to classes on Tuesday just felt so wrong. Wrong in the sense that we now realize that there is something more to life than getting drunk at parties on weekends and thinking the world will collapse if we miss a class. I felt as if we should still be there - my mind was certainly still there.

What we did that weekend was unique. It was an experience that only the delegates can hold special in their hearts. It was shocking and fulfilling.

It was something that we will never forget, but forever grow on.

MODERN PAINTER ELEVATES IMITATION TO ART FORM

Acts of forgery are enough to drive stakes into the hearts of some, but one painter views such acts as labors of love.

Instead of worrying about whether people will accept her "fakes," reproduction artist Judy Luell Dutcher seems more concerned about completing commissioned works.

Dutcher, 48, has become so successful with her reproductions of paintings rendered by such artists as Pablo Picasso and Edouard Manet that C.G. Rein Galleries granted her a solo exhibition.

Touted the "Master Forger" in accompanying exhibit literature, she has established herself as an artist although none of the work she produces is truly her own. Although purists might be disturbed by Dutcher's reproductions, she said the patrons are the ones who have made comments about her work.

"I haven't heard anybody criticize the work. The people who are buying it are the ones who have been the most vocal about the reproductions," she said from her home in California.

The main room of the gallery, which is located at 1700 Bissonnet St., will be used until October 6 as an area to showcase the reproductions.

Included among them is a fake inspired by Franz Kline, an abstract painter she admires.

Dutcher's version of "White and Purple Water Lilies," an oil painting originally rendered by French artist Claude Monet, stands out not only because of how the reflections of nature appear on the surface along with lilies but also because of its positioning above a bronze sculpture of two swans in Chester Comstock's "Swan Lake." Monet is an artist who has inspired her.

The way she duplicates the bold strokes of Vincent Van Gogh in a reproduction of his "Sunrise at Saint-Remy," indicates Dutcher is capable of remaining faithful to a particular artist's style. The bold sun rays and the resemblance of grassy plains to rolling seas is given the classic Van Gogh treatment.

Although she goes one step beyond emulation into territory some artists consider forbidden, Dutcher seems pleased with the prospect of eventually doing more original work.

"Twenty years ago, my first pencil drawings sold for $35," she recalled with delight. "I'll do my own work in another five years."

She also produced portrait paintings.

About five years ago, after she started producing paintings for The Manor Hotel in Los Angeles, her career as a reproduction artist took off. "I got such a good reputation from my work that I decided to work as a commissioned artist," she said.

Some who have taken note of Dutcher's skill and purchased her works include comedienne Carol Burnett, actor George C. Scott, Dick Clark, director Sydney Pollack and director John Badham.

People might imagine a young Judy grasping crayons and coloring books, but she said she learned to express herself creatively by taking lessons in dance and classical piano during her formative years in Wisconsin. She also tried her hand at creative writing while attending high school.

Among the artists whose work has been reproduced by Dutcher are Amedeo Modigliani, Henri Matisse, George Inness, Karl Albert Buehr, Joan Miro, J.A.D. Ingres, Paul Gauguin and Henri De Toulouse-Lautrec.

One of the most striking reproductions featured in the exhibit is a paneled version of Giambattista Tiepolo's "Banquet of Cleopatra," which is displayed as a frescoe in Venice, Italy. The six rectangular wooden panels, connected by hinges, display a meeting between a blonde Cleopatra, Marc Antony and Roman attendants. Although Tiepolo's work is not for sale, Dutcher's becomes the property of a patron for a price tag of $16,000.

Most of the works, however, are priced in the $3,000 to $6,000 range.

With one exception, she has yet to reproduce the same painting twice.

"She talked to one client about a painting and discovered she had painted it the wrong size -- so she had to repaint it," said Gena Alderman, manager of the gallery, of Dutcher's reproductions of Marcus Gheeraert's portrait "Robert Devereux, 2nd Earl of Essex."

While she may not match each artist stroke for stroke, Dutcher seems content with the title "Master Forger." She even includes her initialed signature along with one which looks as if it belongs to Picasso.

SUZANNE VEGA RAISES TEMPERATURES ON 99.9 F

by Rebecca McPhail

On her fourth album, <I>99.9<P>F, Suzanne Vega further strengthens her unique status as one of pop music's most recognizable chameleons.

<I>99.9 F<P> is a seemingly incongruous mix of industrial-heavy percussion and literate lyrics steeped in folk-music sensibilities. Soaring above it all is Vega's breathy wisp of a voice. Somehow it all works.

Although Vega's first two albums were critically well-received, they gave little indication of the lyrical and musical complexity she was capable of.

It was with <I>Days of Open Hand<P>, however, that Vega truly came into her own. Released in 1990, <I>Open Hand<P> is a dark, deeply personal record filled with haunting images of dreams and the supernatural.

With <I>99.9<P> F she continues her personal trek into the human psyche.

The album's first single, "Blood Makes Noise," is a spare, driving song already climbing the college singles chart. A pulse-pounding mixture of throbbing keyboards, unusual percussion and a machine gun delivery vocal, "Blood Makes Noise" is a two-minute panic attack in musical form.

Vega continues her fling with industrial music throughout the album. Both the title song and "Fat Man and Dancing Girl" are defined by minimal instrumentation and a sharp, staccato beat.

Fans of Vega's quieter side need not be alarmed, however. Songs like "Blood Sings" and "In Liverpool" continue her modern-day folk tradition.

In a field often filled with cheap imitations, Vega is a true original. Drawing on intimate experiences of love and loss, she creates work that is personal, even painful at times but always deeply affecting.

GISELLE A BEAUTIFUL TEAR-JERKER

LEAVES AUDIENCE CRYING FOR MORE

by Manuel Esparza

<I>Giselle<P>, a romantic-tragedy ballet, capitalized the `R' in the Romantic period during Thursday night's opening performance at the Wortham Center's Brown Theater.

The magic between lead dancers Janie Parker and Philip Broomhead, complemented by Ermanno Florio's conducting, transported the audience into the woods outside a little German village.

Janie Parker's performance left the audience breathless. Her living Giselle moved with the joy of a first love, and the excitement of discovery showed through every step.

Her ethereal dancing during the second act was no less brilliant than her first-act performance. Janie's ability to convincingly suggest a specter after playing a young lass is astounding. Her <I>bourees<P> (dancing on point) literally caused her to float on stage.

Phillip Broomhead's powerful portrayal of Count Albrecht shows why he is the replacement for the injured Li Cunxin. His leaps and well defined movements molded with Janies.

The French ballet recounts the story of Giselle, a love-sick maiden. Hilarion, a local woodsman, sees the count with his servant and tells Giselle. She disregards his warning and Hilarion breaks into the count's cottage, searching for proof.

Meanwhile, a royal hunting party with the count's betrothed and her father, the duke, approaches the village. Hilarion exposes Albrecht in front of Giselle and the villagers. He then summons the royals, who see the count and make him join them. Giselle witnesses the couple's meeting.

The truth being too much for her, she goes insane. In her madness she kills herself.

Giselle then becomes one of the Wilis, maidens who have died before their wedding day. They are vengeful of men and kill Hilarion while he holds vigil over Giselle's grave.

Albrecht arrives, flowers in hand for her grave. The Wilis descend on him when their queen, Myrtha, sentences him to die by dancing. Reinforced by her love for the count, Giselle summons her courage to defy her queen. Her intervention saves Albrecht until the dawn saps the Wilis' power. Giselle too dissolves, leaving Albrecht alone.

With shows tonight, Friday, Saturday, and a Sunday matinee, go and grab your student rush tickets and bring some tissues.

STUDENTS FEAST ON DELICACIES OFFERED IN POPULAR CULINARY SCHOOL CURRICULUM

CPS - Interested in creme brulee? Does poaching a samon, whipping a souffle or making a lobster bisque sound tantalizing? Does an eclair knock your socks off?

If so, you may be one of thousands of students, who instead of going to a traditional two- or four-year academic institution, may head off to culinary school, where they will learn the art of running all aspects of a commercial kitchen from cooking to presentation and sanitation.

"If you want to get into the business, going to culinary school gives you a head start," said renowned French chef Julia Child. "You have to like culinary arts. For people who do like it, it is a life passion. It is a tremendously interesting career. But you really have to love the profession to get into it."

There are about 500 culinary schools nationwide that are accredited by the American Culinary Federation. The schools range from such well-known institutions as the American Culinary Institute in Hyde Park, N.Y., and the New England Culinary Institute in Vermont to community colleges and vocational-technical schools.

Steve Frenault, director of the federation, said that school programs can last from five months to two years, and can cost $1,000-$25,000 a year.

Enrollment in culinary schools has risen steadily in the past 10 years, he said, although the recession "makes it hard to get a clear vision" on how schools are doing currently. "Some schools are closing. Other schools are filled," he said. "Overall, I think there is sustained growth."

Child said that students should get a four-year liberal arts degree and then attend culinary school. "Study French and history. Take communications. Getting a college degree first helps you mature. If you go in as a kid you could be wasting your time," she said. "Get a damned good education, and then you'll get much farther ahead."

Demographic studies suggest people are eating out more, and there is an increasing demand for chefs, analysts said, so chances are excellent that culinary school graduates will get jobs.

But school officials and chefs caution that going to a culinary school is demanding. The hours are long, the work is physical and one must be prepared to memorize cooking terms and methods and know about foods and spices. Students must also learn about wines, desserts, salads and other factors in preparing and serving meals.

Some schools run restaurants and bakeries that are staffed by students, so they are receiving practical experience. But if the restaurant opens at 7 a.m. for breakfast, students must be in the kitchen hours before to prepare all the food.

"You must have physical ability -- you're on your feet a lot. You must have coordination and dexterity," said John Dranow, co-founder of the New England Culinary Institute. "You should have artistic ability and be the type of person who gets pleasure from service."

Many schools teach cooking skills based on basic French techniques. Tastes in food may vary and come and go as trends change, but the cooking skills basically don't change that much, food experts said. Along with French skills, Oriental, Hispanic, nouvelle cuisine and other cooking arts may also be offered.

"Chefs" can have different levels of expertise. A student could become a chef right after graduation at a local eatery, but wait for years before becoming a chef at an upscale restaurant.

Students don't necessarily have to be chefs when they graduate, industry officials said. They can get into food management for institutions, work for airlines or move into food and wine writing. And what helps is the fact that the image of cooking as a profession is changing to that of a legitimate career.

"It is a large profession that most people don't know too much about," Child said. "It wasn't considered a serious profession, but more of a dumping ground. In Europe, the culinary profession is blue collar. The great chefs began as peasant bullies."

Said Frenault: "The chef has become a star, a media star over the past 10 to 15 years. The advent of the celebrity chef has made people get that interest."

According to a survey done by Money magazine, the average chef's annual salary is $35,000, and an executive chef can make up to $200,000. The American Culinary Federation estimates there are about 250,000 openings for trained chefs, and about 140,000 new chefs entering the field annually.

Child and other experts urge students to get as much experience as possible, even before applying to a culinary school, to get a realistic view of the profession. "Do some restaurant work and see how you like it. Then pick the school, but get as much training as possible. After you graduate there is a good 10-year training program needed to develop yourself," she said.

Frenault, with the American Culinary Federation, said students should investigate nearby schools to save on costs.

"They should talk to students at the school or who have graduated to find out how they feel about the place."

Child also urges young chefs to remember that diners can pay dearly for a meal, and while presentation is important, serving excellent food should be the overriding concern.

"Presentation is very trendy. Nouvelle cuisine taught us that presentation is important, and then chefs went off the deep end and make food look like a Japanese garden," she said. "Young American chefs are interested in being creative but forget they are serving food.

"You're never going to know it all. I have more to learn, and will until I'm dead."

"MR. SATURDAY NIGHT" HITS IT BIG; BILLY CRYSTAL IS AGAIN MAHHVALOUS

NEW YORK (CPS) - Billy Crystal is hot, blistering hot.

He rose to the top ranks of stand-up comedy, co-starred on the 1970s' television classic, "Soap," became a household word during his one-year stint on "Saturday Night Live," where he created the characters of Fernando and Sammy.

Then, film roles in "When Harry Met Sally . . ." and "City Slickers," among others, solidified his stature as one of America's premier funnymen.

The result? Virtual Hollywood carte blanche.

So Crystal took over a favorite character, Buddy Young Jr., an aging comic who's lost his funny bone, and built a movie around him. To fully realize his vision, Crystal elected to co-write, produce, direct and star in "Mr. Saturday Night," his bittersweet film which explores the turbulent relationship between Buddy and his brother/manager Stan (David Paymer), as they survive the peaks and valleys of Buddy's career, which range from gigs at the Catskills clubs and a season on his own TV comedy show to following the Beatles on The Ed Sullivan Show and hostile performances at old folks homes.

"Buddy is so different and unusual. He's so funny, so monstrous, so angry, so scared. He's a big, wrinkled child. It's the greatest part I'll ever get to play," Crystal said during a recent press briefing. "Buddy is the most complete person I've ever played, the one with the most dimension. He's RAGING JEW. That's what I set out to make. I wanted a really funny movie with an edge.

"The movie to me isn't about show business, though it is the villain at times. It's about a mans inability to be intimate and develop as a person. It's a man's inability to be a husband, a father and a brother. Then he starts to change."

Creating Crystal's Willy Loman with laughs meant delving into comedy lore and incorporating elements of names both famous and forgotten. "I know a lot of them. They're amazing characters. They're really show business to me," says Crystal.

"In the early days of television, a lot of the (networks) went to comics. For every Sid Caesar or Jackie Gleason, there was a Red Buttons or a Larry Stroch or someone else who had one year in the sun. Back then seasons were 39 weeks. It was a year's work. It wasn't '12 with an option for six, and we'll test it in Guam.' There are moments from a lot of people that I elaborated on and made it into the life of Buddy."

As excited as he was to breathe life into Buddy, Crystal found directing his greatest challenge. "It was everything I expected it to be and more I don't know how else to describe it but I was actually sorry we stopped shooting. I've ever felt that way on a film," said Crystal. "Every day became a exhilarating experience which was 'How can I bring this scene to life?' I was able to solve problems that I thought 'Oh God, what if they ask me to do something I don't know?" Everyday I really loved what I was doing. 'Mr. Saturday Night' is everything I wanted it to be.

Next up for Crystal? "Nothing," he said, smiling. "I have no plans. It's the first time in my career I don't want to work. 'Mr. Saturday Night' has been 16 months of unbelievable concentration and effort and love. I've reached that point where it's time to just kick back and enjoy myself. All I want to do is watch my daughter's high school volleyball team throughout her whole season. I want to ride my horse. I want to rope some calves. I just want to sit back, take a deep breath and go, 'You did a good thing.'"