EDUCATION PLAYS ROLE IN DISPELLING SEXUAL MYTHS

by Deborah Hensel

The main role UH can play in preventing sexual assault is to educate people and change incorrect attitudes, said Micki Fine. Those attitudes are a product of differences in male and female socialization, she said.

Fine, a representative of the Houston Area Women's Center, addressed the fourth meeting of the UH Sexual Assault Task Force Thursday and debunked myths about sexual assault and provided statistics and prevention tips.

The first myth, Fine said, is that rape is sexually motivated. "It's not -- it's about power and control," she said.

Fine said another belief, that most rapes are provoked, is illogical, since 71 percent of all rapes are planned ahead of time. Most of these are committed by an acquaintance, she said.

The idea that women ask for it and are somehow responsible for attacks because of their dress or behavior or simply because they were flirting is also a myth, Fine said.

"Women are responsible for being clear in their communication. " 'No' means 'no'. 'Yes' means 'yes,' " Fine said.

"The male perpetrator is responsible for keeping his penis in his pants. Both are responsible for their own sexual impulses, but nobody deserves to be raped, no matter what."

The idea that women report rapes falsely as an act of revenge is also false, Fine said.

"Only 2 percent of reported rapes are unsupportable," she said. "And that is less than the number of other crimes that are falsely reported."

"These myths support sexual assault and allow it to happen," Fine said. "The university's mission should emphasize orienting students and making them aware of how gender socialization comes into play."

Fine offered the task force the following statistics on sexual assault in general and specifically, on college campuses:

* One in three women will be approached or confronted by a rapist during her lifetime.

* One in four will be raped.

* Only one in 10 will report the sexual assault.

Counseling and Testing Services Program Director Gail Hudson said some of the statistics on assaults among the general population are magnified on college campuses.

Acquaintance or date rapes account for 60 percent of all rapes among the general population, but make up 84 percent of cases on college campuses, she said.

Fine also cited a 1985 study conducted by Ms. Magazine which reported 52 percent of college women said they had been sexually assaulted in some way.

Task force Chair Cynthia Freeland asked for clarification of that number, asking if it included cases of harassment.

"No, those cases involved some kind of contact," Fine said.

"Being pushed up against the wall, kissed, having their buttocks pinched," Hudson said.

Fine also said women 16 to 19 years old had the highest rape victimization rate of all age groups. The second-highest rated group at risk is 20- to 24-year-olds.

Hudson said the average age of a rape survivor is 18 and the most vulnerable time for a woman that age, new to life on campus, is between August and Thanksgiving.

"You've new, you're young, you want to fit in," said Fine. "You go to parties and you get drunk."

Hudson said 75 percent of men involved in sexual assault indicated drugs and alcohol were involved and 50 percent of women said that was the case. Because of that, Hudson said the task force should recommend the administration re-examine the university's alcohol policy.

From "Rape, Child Sexual Abuse and Sexual Harassment in the Workplace," a study by Diane Russel, Fine cited the following statistics: 35 percent of college males indicated some likelihood of committing a rape if they thought they could get away with it.

Over 80 percent of men involved in acquaintance or date rapes said they didn't think what they did was rape, Hudson said. Almost one-third of the women said it wasn't rape, she said, even though they indicated they had been forced to have sex against their will.

Director of Residential Housing Tom Pennett asked just how effective the university could be, at this stage of a student's life, in changing socially-engendered attitudes.

"In order to change a prejudice or an attitude, you need to be aware that it is exactly that," Fine said. "Males and females need to have some challenge to their thinking in order to change it."

Fine suggested UH offer and promote orientations for new students that examine gender roles, sexual responsibility, sexual assault prevention and the effects of alcohol.

Beefing up the numbers of Cougar Patrol members available to serve as escorts is another way to help prevent stranger assaults on campus, she said.

*******************************************************

EXPERT OFFERS TIPS TO AVOID VIOLENT DATES

by Deborah Hensel

To avoid sexual assault by a casual acquaintance or a date, women have to develop a "creep-o-meter," according to Micki Fine of the Houston Area Women's Center.

If your creep-o-meter flashes lights, rings bells and blows whistles about a guy, trust your instincts, she said.

"Know who you're with. Know people awhile before you go out with them alone," she said. "Consider double dating first."

"Communicate your sexual boundaries very clearly and have an idea of your limits before the date," she said.

During her address to the UH Sexual Assault Task Force, Fine presented a handout published by HAWC which lists other suggestions for dating safety:

* Know beforehand the exact plans for the evening. Make sure a friend or parent knows your plans and when to expect you home.

* Be aware of your decreased ability to react under the influence of alcohol and drugs.

* If a situation makes you uncomfortable, try to be calm and think of ways to remove yourself.

UH Counseling and Testing Services Program Director Gail Hudson offered some insight into a rapist's thought processes.

"Remember that a rapist will want to isolate his victim," she said. "More than half the time, he will look for a place indoors, preferably on his turf -- his dorm room, his car."

A potential rapist looks for someone who appears vulnerable and tests that vulnerability in various ways, Fine said. He may invade her body space or use suggestive language to see how she reacts, she said.

"Rape is something that changes a person totally," Hudson said. "Everybody is vulnerable sometime and the message we need to get out is that a woman needs to minimize that vulnerability."

UH BOOKSTORES SAY'NOT' TO CENSORS' 'MOST WANTED' LIST DURING BANNED BOOK WEEK

by Karen Snelling

Censorship -- although most take it for granted, some try to prevent it.

Libraries and bookstores nationwide recognized this week as the 11th-annual Banned Book Week. This event attempts to increase awareness of the problem of book censorship.

The American Library Association, the American Booksellers Association, the American Society of Journalists and Authors, the Association of American Publishers and the National Association of College Stores sponsor this event.

The People for the American Way (PAW) reported 376 "censorship incidents" occurred during the 1991-92 school year in schools across the country.

According to PAW, this figure, the highest amount ever recorded, includes censorship attempts on novels, drug abuse prevention programs and children's books.

PAW noted 41 of these attacks were successful.

It reported Florida had the highest number of banning attempts, with Texas and California tying for second place.

"We certainly are against it (banning)," said Jerry Maloney, general manager of the UH Barnes and Noble Bookstore.

He said he could not recall any person ever asking UH bookstore employees to remove literature from their store.

Maloney said in the past the UH bookstore has placed displays and posters in their windows to recognize Banned Book Week.

This year the UH bookstore has not promoted Banned Book Week, he said. He said their trade manager who plans promotional events has been ill quite often and unable to do much promotion this semester. "My guess is that not promoting Banned Book Week this year was an oversight," he said.

The M.D. Anderson Library has never been asked to censor materials, said Kathleen Gunning, assistant director for public services and collection development.

It is unusual to ask university libraries to censor items because "the whole spirit of the university is people trying to learn about different things," she said.

M.D. Anderson caters to adults who seek specific knowledge and don't often get offended by the information they find, she said.

She said organizations with children's books, such as secondary schools and public libraries, experience the most censorship problems.

M.D. Anderson supports Banned Book Week but has not planned anything to visually promote it this year, she said.

This week the UH Law Library celebrated Banned Book Week by displaying books people have taken to court to censor or save.

These court cases have been crucial in making book censorship harder, said Helen Boyce, circulation supervisor.

Some of the books in their display include <i>Lady Chatterly's Lover<p> by D.H. Lawrence, <i>Fanny Hill: Memoirs of a Woman of Pleasure<P> by John Cleland, and <i>Tropic of Cancer<p> and <i>Tropic of Capricorn<p> by Henry Miller.

The Writers and Artists Group at UH and the Progressive Student Network made flyers and set up tables at the UC and UC Satellite this week to inform students about Banned Book Week.

A manager at Rothers Bookstore, who wished to remain unnamed, said Rothers has never experienced any type of censorship in the past. Rothers has not promoted Banned Book Week this year, she said.

The Newsletter on Intellectual Freedom reported 104 books were challenged or banned in various schools and public libraries in the year ending in March 1992.

This report mentioned challenges to the following books:

<I>Blubber<P>, by Judy Blume, was challenged at elementary schools in Perry Township, Ohio, because in the book bad behavior never gets punished.

<I>James and the Giant Peach<P>, by Roald Lahl, was challenged at the Deep Creeks Elementary School in Charlotte Harbor, Fla., because it is "not appropriate reading material for young children."

<I>As I Lay Dying<P>, by William Faulkner, was challenged in the Carroll County, Md., schools because of its strong dialect and language.

<I>East of Eden<P>, by John Steinbeck was challenged in schools of Greenville County, S.C., because the book uses the name of God and Jesus in a "vain and profane manner."

<I>The Unicorn Who Had No Horn<P>, by Margaret Holland and Craig McKee, was challenged at the elementary school in Cornell, Wis., because it promotes "New Age religion" and includes material about witchcraft and the occult.

<I>The Writer's Resource: Readings for Composition<P>, by Susan Day and Elizabeth McMahan, was removed from the Jasper, Mo., schools because a character uses profanity and slang.

<I>Angel Face<P>, by Norma Klein, was challenged at Commerce High School in Texas because it contained pornographic material.

<i>The Learning Tree<p> by Gordon Parks, was banned and then restored to a high school in Suwannee, Fla., because of its indecency.

<i>What to Do If You or Someone You Know is Under 18 and Pregnant<p>, by Arlene Richards and Irene Willis, was challenged in libraries of the Racine Unified School District in Wisconsin because it uses rough language to describe contraceptives and sexual intercourse, contains "sexually suggestive and provocative" language and "promotes teen-age sexual promiscuity."

<i>Final Exit<p>, by Derek Humphrey, was challenged at the Cook Memorial Library in Libertyville, Ill., because it allegedly ridiculed the elderly and encouraged unlawfulness by allegedly assisting homicide and drug abuse.

TWO CAMPUS GROUPS RAISING AWARENESS ABOUT CENSORSHIP

by Channing King

Americans may consider themselves open-minded, yet classics such as <I>The Aeneid<P>, <i>The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn<P> and <I>To Kill a Mockingbird<P> have been banned throughout the country.

At the UC Satellite Thursday, the Progressive Student Network and the Writers and Artists Group at UH called attention to censorship in America as part of Banned Book Week. The groups were prompted by what they term religious intolerance, a denial of human differences and a fear of reality.

Shane Patrick Boyle, chairman of WAAGAUH, said, "We're just trying to show that censorship has happened in America and it still happens."

As students passed and recognized works by favorite authors, Boyle, wearing a white "Just Ask Why" shirt, listed the reasons each book has been banned.

<I>The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn<P>, Boyle said, has been attacked by school boards because of a scene with two naked males on a raft. People have also called this quintessential American novel "racist," Boyle added.

Students were shocked when they discovered <I>The Lorax<P> by Dr. Seuss had been banned in a northern California logging town.

Ray Sbrusch, a member of PSN, said the people in the town found the book's view of the logging industry against community values.

S. E. Hinton's works, including <I>The Outsiders<P>, have been pulled from some schools because the characters come from broken homes. Boyle said critics of Hinton's books do not want others to know that situations exist.

Religion, said Boyle, plays a large role in the banning of books. Most religions, he said, have tried to eradicate the writings of other religions.

<I>The Aeneid<P>, by Virgil, has been pulled from school shelves along with most other Greek and Roman works, he said, because of a difference of gods. Boyle said the Judeo-Christian school boards, with their single god theory, do not appreciate the polytheism of the Greeks and Romans.

Boyle said <I>The Dairy of Anne Frank<P>, the story of a Jewish family hiding from Nazis, has been attacked by Phyllis Schlafly, a long-time conservative crusader for good taste. He said Schlafly was troubled the book treated Judaism and Christianity as equal religions.

He said <I>The Clan of the Cave Bear<P> by Jean Auel is another victim of the religious crusade. "The book was banned because it expresses a different version of history than that given in the Book of Genesis," Boyle said.

He said <I>Light in the Attic<P> and <I>Where the Sidewalk Ends<P> by Shel Silverstein have both been scrutinized by censors.

Boyle said critics contend <I>Little Abigail and the Beautiful Pony<P>, a poem about a girl's desire for a horse, encourages kids to use suicide threats as a way to manipulate parents.

Boyle said <I>Thumbs<P>, another Silverstein poem, is accused of encouraging homosexuality. The poem describes the pleasure of sucking one's thumb.

Boyle said Harper Lee's <I>To Kill a Mockingbird<P>, winner of the Pulitzer Prize and the subject of an Academy Award-winning movie, has been purged from libraries because it contains the words "damn" and "whore-lady."

Boyle said <I>Leaves of Grass<P> by the acclaimed poet Walt Whitman had at one time been declared pornographic by the state of Massachusetts.

"You could have been arrested for that," said Boyle after Sbrusch read a passage aloud.

JUSTICE RECORDS HOLDS COURT OVER LOCAL MUSIC SCENE

by Rebecca McPhail

In the cut-throat business of the music industry, fledgling Houston label Justice Records has survived their trial by fire.

Justice, an independent label which focuses on jazz and pop artists, was formed in 1989 after its founder, Randall Jamail, noticed a gap in the Houston market.

"Houston, being the fourth largest city in the country, did not have a mid-sized, fully independent record label. That was intriguing to me," he said.

Sitting in a large office, surrounded by the accouterments of a successful businessman, Jamail recounted his company's less-than-auspicious beginnings.

After receiving a law degree and completing a stint in his father's law firm, Jamail realized his growing interest in music. After a good deal of inner debate, he decided to abandon his law career in favor of musical pursuits.

"This was a path I felt was more suited to my destiny," he said.

Justice's first releases did well locally, in spite of Jamail's offbeat marketing strategy.

"I was literally selling the records out of the back of my car," he said.

A little over three years later, Justice is one of the premier jazz labels in Houston. Jamail explained his attraction to the genre.

"I have an affinity for jazz. I was born at a time when Nat King Cole and Ella Fitzgerald were peaking in their success. At that time their music was not jazz, it was pop. It was the main music of the day," he said.

Recently, with the addition of artists such as Thrillcat and David Rice, Justice has broadened its horizons to include several pop acts.

Jamail, however, holds a definite view of the criteria necessary for being considered a "pop act".

"Pop music, in my definition, is any music that is popular enough to sell 500,000 copies. Pavarotti is pop music.

"The Red Hot Chili Peppers are pop music. They don't want to be, they want to be something cooler, but they're not. It's pop music and they're popular," he said.

Although Justice is growing, Jamail is adamant that they remain a small label.

"I'm not a fan of big companies, in general. I think they do more to destroy dreams and visions than they do to create them," Jamail said.

By keeping the company small, Jamail believes he can offer the artists something the industry giants cannot.

"There's a ceiling on the number of artists in the company so they know they're always going to be taken care of, they're always going to be important and they're never going to get lost in the shuffle," he said.

Mike Brayton, bass player for the newly-signed Thrillcat, believes Justice's youth is one of its greatest assets.

"This company is young like us, so we're both growing together and it's exciting, as opposed to being just another band," Brayton said.

Brayton pointed out that larger labels had expressed interest in the band, yet none, until Justice, came up with a concrete offer.

"It takes, I think, more of a risk-taking, visionary label to take a risk on something that may be the next new thing as opposed to just a copy," he said.

Justice was willing to take that risk because, according to Jamail, their primary status is as a "developmental label".

Because they aren't going for the fast payback, Justice has to operate differently than other labels.

"You really have to be patient," Jamail said. "You have to understand these things are not going to happen with the first or second record.

"Generally it's the third or fourth record, so you have to go into it with a long range view," Jamail said.

Although Justice has greatly expanded in the past few years, Jamail is keeping his goals for the company's future small.

"Our goals are to expand the visibility of the artists," he said, "without necessarily expanding the roster and to keep making great music."

A BRIEF HISTORY OF STEPHEN HAWKING

by Manuel Esparza

Steven Hawking wrote <i>A Brief History Of Time<p> to bring the masses up to speed on modern physics. Errol Morris made it into a movie to bring people up to speed on Hawking.

Hawking, a Nobel Prize winner, is arguably the most brilliant man alive. His work in the realm of physics has led to knew understanding of black holes and the "big bang" theory.

The film focuses more on Hawking, the man, in a three-tier approach. The first level is Hawking's personal life, the second is his life's work, finally how his debilitating disease affected both.

The movie <i>A Brief History Of Time<p> is a series of interviews showing how Hawking developed as a man and as a scientist. The unassuming settings do fade, leaving the main focus on the interviewee, who in turn focuses on Hawking. The guests range from his mother to ex-classmates, fellow colleagues and former students.

The interviews move rather slowly but help build a mental model of the man. After each person speaks, Hawking speaks (via computer speech synthesizer).

This moves the film along chronologically, covering his postulations and ponderings.

Hawking was remembered as being a remarkable boy with mediocre grades. His sister recounts how he told her there were 11 different ways to enter their house. She could only find ten and still insists that the eleventh one doesn't exist.

At one point, Hawking surmises that when the universe begins to collapse in the big crunch, time would begin to run backwards.

Using the graphic example of a cup falling off a table, shattering into a million pieces, it would reassemble itself and move back onto the table, when time reversed itself.

He asked one of his students to set up and solve the equation.

Hawking had his assistant run the tedious equations three times before he saw that he had made a fundamental error.

The onset of amyotrohic lateral sclerosis (ALS) changed the way Hawking worked. He focused more on theories that could be visualized rather than calculated as the disease caused him to lose muscle control.

The film differs from most biographical documentaries, which Hawking did not want to do, by using a lot of his own narrative. Morris succeeds in capturing who Hawking really is.

Unfortunately, the informal interviews are spliced with screenwipes that cut out the lesser conversation, and the gaps between the changes of thought are too long.

On a positive side, the generous use of old still photos of Hawking with his family and all the personal anecdotes do bring to life the man who changed the way we understand our universe.

The film is slow moving and will disappoint those who wanted to have a visual version of his book, as Hawking wanted. He was told it would have too narrow an appeal. That's difficult to believe -- his book has sold five-and-a-half million copies.

A RIVER RUNS THROUGHT IT A CLASSIC STORY OF GOD, BOOZE AND FISH

by Gram Gemoets

Yet another new film enters the box office race today, and it, like others, seeks your $6.50.

<i>A River Runs Through It<p> is a drama adapted from the autobiographical book by Norman Maclean. The picture is directed and expertly narrated by Robert Redford, who previously directed <i>Ordinary People<p> and <i>The Milagro Beanfield War<p>, both hugely successful films.

Set in Montana between 1910 and 1935, the story combines fly fishing, religion and hard drinking.

Two brothers, played by Craig Sheffer (<i>Some Kind of Wonderful<p>) and Brad Pitt (the hitchhiker in <i>Thelma and Louise<p>), are devoted to fishing, fighting and drinking, most of which they do together. It is the last of these activities that leads to the eventual downfall of one of the brothers.

Through the course of their lives, for it is remotely known as a coming-of-age picture, differences in character divide the brothers.

Norman (Sheffer) meets the progressive Jesse (Emily Lloyd of <i>Chicago Joe and the Showgirl<p> fame). Jesse's odd-ball family soon accepts Norman as one of their own.

Paul (Pitt) enjoys the faster side of life. A hard drinker from the age of 12, Paul finds himself deep in debt at the local poker game. This turns out to be bad for his health. The audience follows Paul as he descends from brothel to jail to back-alley gin joint.

The plot is slight and the real art lies with the photography, masterly supervised by Phillippe Rousselot (<i>Dangerous Liaisons<p>). The Montana scenery makes the whole film worthwhile.

HERO LACKS STRENGTH TO SURPASS MEDIOCRITY

by Sally Pouncy

<i>Hero<p> needs a savior to rescue audiences from spending their money on another mediocre film.

Dustin Hoffman stars as Bernie LaPlante, a small-time crook who's at his best in a big-time crisis.

Bernie is on his way to jail when he rescues a planeload of people from certain death. He then disappears into the night, leaving only his shoe as proof he was there.

One of the plane's passengers is Gale Gayley (Gina Davis), an award-winning television journalist.

Davis' character pokes fun at journalists through her undying devotion to a story. Her best line comes when as she's loaded into an ambulance after being pulled from the plane, screaming, "It's my story, I did the research!"

Andy Garcia has the take-up-the-slack role of the man who claims to be the real hero. Garcia plays John Bubber, a homeless vet who collected cans for gas money until a muddy shoe turns into his glass slipper. Bubber is the hero everybody wants.

He is a good-looking, charitable, honest man (okay, so he told a little white lie, there wouldn't be a story without him) who is the epitome of a hero. The public loves him and the media coverage pays off handsomely.

The other characters in the movie are as strange as the major compadres. Kevin J. O'Connor is hilarious as Chucky, Galey's never-shut-up cameraman who talks about every shot he gets in focus, even when it is of a man who jumped off a 60-story building, "He was in focus all the way down," explained Chucky.

Tom Arnold, (Rosanne's hubby) pops up as the proverbial understanding bartender. Joan Cusak plays Bernie's ex-wife who wants to get her two cents in on everything.

Joan's little sister, Susie Cusak, makes her film debut as Bernie's naive court-appointed attorney.

Cameo appearances by Chevy Chase and Fisher Stevens lighten up the action with their funny mugs.

It is too bad this movie has so much trouble finding its genre. It is so unclear as to what category it should fall into that <i>Hero<p> could have been one of the films pitched in Robert Altman's film <i>The Player<p>.

If it were the description of <i>Hero<p> it could have gone something like . . . "It's a comedy, drama, action-adventure, romance, <i>Ghost<p>-like, reality-based film, . . . with a twist."

The most pathetic thing about the film is the flight number of the plane that goes down in the film, flight 104. Doesn't the scriptwriter remember the Lockerbee crash?

<i>Hero<p> is not a great movie, but if you have nothing better to do and must see a new Hoffman flick go for it, but don't say you weren't warned.

VOLLEYBALL NOTEBOOK

By Heather Ellis

This weekend the Lady Cougars kick off a nine-day home stand against some impressive teams, including Texas Tech, one of the more formidable forces in the SWC.

On Friday at Hofheinz Pavilion, the Cougars tangle with the 11th-ranked Tribe from William and Mary University. Game time is 7:30 p.m. This will definitely make for an interesting match, as Houston holds the number twelve spot in the South Region Poll.

The Tribe finished atop the Colonial Conference last season and had an overall record of 24-7, but the Cougars lead the series 1-0.

Saturday, the Cougars will rumble through the Deep South as they take on the University Of Mississippi in Hofheinz. The 5-8 Lady Golden Eagles weren't impressive last year either as they finished in sixth place, 2-6 for the year.

This week has proven to be a winning one for Houston. They are only one of three SWC teams to remain undefeated, and Karina Faber was awarded the Player of the Week.

Karina led the team with 3.58 kills a game. She is now ranked eighth on the Cougar's all-time kills list with 811.

If it were ever cold enough here in Houston, the Lady Coogs could be resting on the bear skin rug they brought back from their successful tourney at Baylor.

The Bears got off to a quick start, winning the first game 14-16, but Houston muzzled them and swiped the last three games, 15-7, 15-6 and 15-10.

Janelle Harmonson broke out and posted a .469 hitting average. Edwina Ammonds and Ashley Mulkey also played well; Edwina hit .346 and Ashley hit .261.

COUGARS LOOK TO BOUNCE BACK AGAINST CAJUNS

by Keith Rollins

The Cougars will be home, well almost home, this Saturday against the Southwestern Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns at Rice Stadium.

Houston (1-2) is forced to use the Rice facilities because of scheduling difficulties with the Astros.

The Ragin' Cajuns enter the contest with a .500 mark, having beat Northeast Louisiana and Western Kentucky. They weren't so lucky against Tennessee losing 38-3 and San Jose State 38-13.

Southwestern Louisiana competes in the Independent ranks along with the likes of Notre Dame And Penn State. Football Action '92 ranked them ninth among the nation's independent squads before the season started.

Houston will look to rebound against USL after last week's 61-7 thrashing at the hands of Michigan.

"We'll certainly acknowledge this bunch as a team we need to get right under, jump right in the middle of and re-declare ourselves," Cougars Head Coach John Jenkins said.

USL runs a basic multiple-set offense led by junior quarterback Tyjuan Hayes. He connected on 15 of 23 passing attempts for 187 yards and one score against WKU last week.

USL Head Coach Nelson Stokley likes his consistency in the offense, both running and throwing.

"He's throwing the ball exceptionally well. He's worked on throwing the football and has a good idea of what we are trying to do," Stokley said. "He has the ability to hurt you in the running game both when he drops back and in the option game."

Hayes' top target will be All-Independent selection Wayde Butler. Butler, the Cajuns all-time leader in pass receptions, has already caught 27 catches for 370 yards through the first four games, ranking him seventh in the country.

Sophomores Steve Mocek and Isaac Benefield will alternate at the tailback position. They have accumulated 312 yards for a 3.4 average per carry this season.

Houston's defense will try to regroup after giving up the most points in Cougar history last week to Michigan.

USL's defense will have a tall order in stopping Houston's potent run-and-shoot offense, which ranks ninth in the country with 302.8 passing yards a game.

Nine of eleven starters from last year's defense are back, but their experience hasn't shown itself on the field.

The Cajuns' opponents have outscored them 28.3 to 16 points per game while running up 417.3 yards per game.

Junior linebacker Charles Pool leads the USL containment crew with 39 tackles, 29 of which have come in the last two games. He has also recorded a team-high three sacks.

Anchoring the defensive line is another All-Independent pick, James Atkins. He's been hampered with an ankle injury, but is expected to start Saturday against the Cougars.

The defense had their best outing last week against WKU, limiting the Hilltoppers to 283 yards and 14 points.

Houston will do its best to eliminate any semblance of confidence the Cajuns may have gotten from that game.

OUGAR CLIPS

Jimmy Klingler will start as quarterback Saturday against USL, Houston Coach John Jenkins said.

"Jimmy's composure late in the second half against Michigan really impressed me," Jenkins said. "He's really a very tough competitor."

However, Jenkins added Donald Douglas had a good week of practice and will alternate playing time with Klingler until someone gets hot.

"I'm really looking for one guy to step up," Jenkins said. "But they're both playing well and they both need the playing time."

Jenkins also said defensive lineman Eric Harrison has recovered from a neck injury sustained in practice this week and is cleared for the game.

Senior Rene Rengal shot a final-round, even-par 72 to power the Cougar golf team to a second place finish at The Woodlands Intercollegiate at The Woodlands, Texas. The Cougars finished only two strokes short of Texas A&M in a field of 18.

--Jason Luther

PROJECT HELPS REGISTER, EDUCATE VOTERS AT UH

by David Sikes

Five first-year-graduate stu-dents are on a mission to change the voting habits of university students by registering voters on the UH campus.

The project is part of a class called Confronting Oppression taught by Susan Robbins, associate professor of social work.

The student's objective is to confront oppression by getting involved in the political process.

They plan to recruit 50 new voters into the political process. Jennifer Gaines, Susan Cavanaugh, David Jobe, Cheryl Rhode and Michael Eckenfelds set up voter registration tables at the UC and the UC Satellite Wednesday.

They started at 3 p.m. Wednesday. In the first 30 minutes ten people were registered. The drive will resume Friday for four hours, starting at 10 a.m.

"I think this is important because oppression is usually thought of in terms of minorities or third-world countries, but anyone who doesn't vote is being oppressed by the system by not taking part in it," Cavanaugh said.

Most students who pass the table say they are already registered. Not being a U.S. citizen is the most common reason given for not registering, Rhode said.

The students will be promoting voter awareness in October by distributing pamphlets from the League of Women Voters. The handout will be a non-partisan publication with responses from the candidates on specific campaign issues.

COST-CUTTING COMMUTERS FIND PARKING-LOT GATES EXPENDABLE

Some campus parking lots are falling victim to vandalism. Parking lot gate arms designed to control access to the lots are being broken off.

Unfortunately, the cost of replacing the gate arms is passed on to faculty, staff and students.

Vandalism of the gate arms averages three per week at $30 per arm.

Granted the only damage is to the wooden arm. However, the cost to replace the mechanical portion of the gate can reach up to $200, the price limit in damages for a class B misdemeanors.

"They are ultimately paying for the vandalism," said Gerald Hagan, manager of Parking and Transportation. "The cost is passed on to those who pay the fees."

"If someone is caught intentionally breaking a gate arm they can be charged with criminal mischief, a class B misdemeanor," said UHPD Lt. Brad Wigtil. "They may also have to pay the cost of the repairs."

Most of the vandalized gate arms are in the faculty and staff lots, which are relatively small in comparison with student lots. The remainder are visitor's lots.

The lots vandalized most often are 1B, the visitor's lot next to the UC and 15A behind Garrison and Melcher Gymnasiums, Hagan said.

"It's hard to catch someone doing something like that; it takes two seconds to break (a gate arm)," UHPD Lt. Brad Wigtil said. "Some incidents may also be accidental."

Parking and Transportation has tried other options which have showed to be less efficient than the current system.

"We have tried metal arms but they are too heavy and can destroy the whole mechanism," Hagan said.

Aluminum arms have also been tried. However, the department has found that less damage is done to the roof or hood of an automobile in the instance of an accident with a wooden arm.

"We just have to keep a supply of wooden arms to replace the broken ones," Hagan said.

He said people vandalize the arms "for the convenience of the lots without (paying) the price for the convenience."