POLL INDICATES FEW STUDENTS FOR PEROT

by Melinda McBride

Barely 24 hours after independent presidential candidate Ross Perot announced, "You, the people, own me," 94 percent of UH students polled indicated they had no desire to own or even borrow anything associated with the Texas billionaire's campaign.

Of the 200 students polled by The Daily Cougar Friday, the day after Perot confirmed his presidential bid, only 6.3 percent said they would vote for Perot Nov. 3.

Democratic presidential candidate Bill Clinton was the overwhelming favorite, coming away with almost 44 percent of the vote; UH students proved to be more disenchanted than national polls indicate, with only 22 percent supporting President Bush.

A CNN-commissioned Gallup Poll released Sept. 28 showed Clinton with 52 percent of the vote, Bush with 35 percent and Perot with 7 percent.

Perot's poll standing peaked around 37 percent in most national polls in mid-June, but his support plummeted to the mid-20s by the time he dropped out of the race July 16. Clinton has led since that point.

"I don't think Perot has a likely chance. He did well when he was in the running the first time, but when he pulled out -- that disappointed a lot of people," said Miyung Thrash, an Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority member who was registering students to vote at the UC Friday. "It makes it seem like he's wishy-washy," added the psychology senior, who plans to vote for Clinton.

Despite Perot's irregular campaign tactics, 8 percent of the men polled believe it may be worth waiting to see how the 62-year-old businessman presents his platform favoring abortion rights, sex education, less spending and higher taxes.

"I was kind of for Perot before he quit, but I want to see what his motivations are for coming back," said Gavin Kaszynski, a finance junior. "Without him in the picture, I'd say definitely Bush." With him in the picture, "Probably still Bush."

Perot, however, represents an opportunity to buck the system, according to elementary education senior Rachel Haygood, a voice in the 4 percent of female students voting for Perot. "I don't like anything the other two have to say. I'm a Republican by nature, but I'm not voting for Bush, simply because the country is going to hell right now. It's a protest vote -- just a protest vote."

Other students plan to vote for Perot because they have confidence in him, not because they don't have confidence in the other candidates.

"I'm voting for Perot because I think he best represents the conservative point of view," said David Lampert, a finance sophomore. "He did a good job of dragging Bush back to the right, and Clinton's way liberal, so I think Perot's the best choice."

"I pretty much made up my mind to vote for Perot when he announced Thursday that he'd run," said David Hitchcock, a senior technology major. "I think since he is a good businessman, since he's smart that way, running the government as a business is the way it should be done."

In addition to the three main-stream candidates, Clinton, Bush and Perot, 1.5 percent are voting Libertarian. One student is voting for Elmer Fudd and even Frank Zappa can expect one write-in vote.

*******************************************************

VALUE OF UH DIPLOMA HIGH, REPORTS ALUMNUS/ ATTORNEY 'RACEHORSE' HAYNES

by Tom Anderson

The value of a UH diploma was the focus of Houston lawyer Richard "Racehorse" Haynes' speech Thursday at The Houston Club.

Haynes, speaking to more than 80 alumni, said he views a UH degree as priceless because of the school's mushrooming reputation as a research facility.

Even back in 1951, when he managed to "squeeze his four-year degree into about five and a half years," the value of a UH degree was probably in the tens of millions, Haynes said.

UH is superior to other schools in every possible way, the UH alumni claimed, "...not to disparage our colleagues in all disciplines who had the misfortune not to attend UH.

"Every contribution that every 'Coog makes, that is by doing the very best that a 'Coog can do in whatever his or her discipline is, contributes to the overall value of our own diploma," Haynes said.

As for the impending budget cuts UH faces, Haynes said the difference is going to have to be made up by the school's Alumni Association.

"What we can do is try to fill in the gap because it's clear that those who make our laws are not going to have the financial wherewithal to meet the rising cost of higher education," he said.

"As for the value of the degree, it's going to make it harder to get for a lot of Houstonians and Texans, and that's a tragedy and a shame because we need those people, and we need those professors who are have credentials and are pedigreed and published to be on our faculty. We need to meet this crisis," he added.

This country spends too much money on other projects that aren't as important, Haynes claimed.

"For example, the war against drugs. There isn't a human being on God's earth that loathes and despises drugs any more than I do. But I think that, opposed to creating an army of police officers spending a trillion dollars every year to contest drugs, we ought to take some of that cash and put it into educating the kids so that they have sense enough not to get into drugs," Haynes said.

Haynes received both his undergraduate and law degrees from UH. He is known for representing defendants in such publicized court cases as State of Texas vs. John Hill -- the murder trial which generated the bestseller, <I>Blood and Money <P> by Tommy Thompson and, later, a television movie.

TEACHER EDUCATION PROGRAMS NOT KEEPING UP WITH ENROLLMENTS

by Marty Nelson

It will be more difficult to become a teacher at UH this year.

For the first time, students seeking a certificate to teach in Texas schools and meeting all the Department of Education's requirements may still not gain entrance to UH's teaching certification program.

Because of budget constraints, only half of an estimated 300 applicants will be admitted to the first semester of the Reflective Inquiry Teacher Education (RITE) program, a three-semester sequence of courses leading to teacher certification.

The number of students admitted to RITE has been fairly constant but demand has outstripped resources, said Dean of Education William Georgides.

The bottleneck occurs during student teaching in the third-semester. The state requires one supervisor for six student teachers.

"It's an expensive program to administer. If we admit you, we want to guarantee you a place in class," said Judith Walker de Felix, assistant dean for teacher education.

A budget committee in the College of Education recommended cutbacks for teaching fellows, teaching assistants and lecturers (who typically oversee student teachers) instead of cutting other programs, such as master's and doctoral programs, said de Felix.

Meanwhile, the College of Education is working to alleviate the budget problems by asking for more money from the state and by obtaining funds from grants.

UH worked with Texas Southern University, Houston Baptist University and the University of St. Thomas to present a grant to the Texas Education Agency for almost $2 million to develop innovative ways to educate teachers.

The grant was denied, which Felix found difficult to understand.

"Seven schools got funded, none in urban districts, except San Antonio. They did not include school districts with the greatest need. This really hurt us. We were really counting on it," she said.

The UH group was one of 16 finalists that made presentations to a panel of five out-of-state educators, with the final recommendations made by Meno Lionel, the commissioner of education.

According to David Young, who examines universities' budgets for the Texas State Legislature, general revenues to UH increased 8.62% over the previous two-year budget.

However, that amount was for the UH system and definitely not for the College of Education, Georgides said, and the increase may not reflect future trends.

Gov. Ann Richards has told all colleges and universities that there will be reduction in funding next year.

The state has required all units to prepare budgets based on a 10% reduction scenario.

While the state will receive $3 billion in new revenues next year, the demand is for $9 billion, Georgides said. Possible solutions are to raise tuition or taxes, he added.

"Texas allocates as much money for higher education as, for instance, California, but has the lowest tuition in the nation," he said.

Students can influence the political process in their favor by writing to their representatives and the State Board of Education, Felix said.

"Anybody who makes decisions along these lines needs to hear this. Legislators think college students are apathetic," Felix said. "They are going to be in session in February considering the budget for next year, so it's a good time to let them know."

The College of Education at Texas A&M and the University of Texas at Austin stated they have not limited teacher certification, though A&M has raised admittance standards, in part to better manage resources.

Georgides said UT and A&M are mainly undergraduate institutions, while UH has a large and more expensive graduate program in education.

For students currently applying to the RITE program, the selection criteria have not changed significantly, but more emphasis is being placed on multicultural experiences.

"People who have this orientation to diversity have a much more successful first year of teaching and they stay in longer," she said. "We can teach people to be technicians, but we can't teach them to be compassionate and loving."

In addition to cross-cultural experiences, students must respond to questions concerning language proficiency, volunteer and community experience and commitment to teaching .

The college requires students to have an overall 2.5 GPA, but the selection process should not turn into a GPA war, Felix said.

"We'll want to make sure it doesn't. Grade point may not be related to good teaching," she added.

Two meetings attended by about 90 students were held to help prepare a competitive application. However, many students expressed concern about the possible disruption of their academic plans.

"I don't know what I'll do if I don't get in. I guess I'll try to graduate in the summer and go somewhere else," said senior English major Jennifer Talley.

Other students on financial aid said without the education courses they feared losing their funding, which requires them to remain full-time students.

The application form, available in room 112 of Farish, is due Oct. 15.

BRANCH-WIELDING VISITOR ASSAULTS UH EMPLOYEE

A visitor wielding a tree limb approached a grounds keeper and struck him in the face Thursday afternoon, said UHPD Lt. Brad Wigtil.

Carolyn Johnson, 39, was arrested and charged with a Class A misdemeanor assault for allegedly striking UH grounds-keeper Raymond Alvarez, 55, on the left side of his face without provocation, Wigtil said.

Alvarez sustained no major injuries, only a small cut inside his left cheek, Wigtil added.

Alvarez said he was edging a sidewalk at 3:15 p.m. near parking lot 6A, next to the Quadrangle residence halls, when he noticed Johnson walking toward him swinging a stick.

Following normal safety procedures, Alvarez stopped the edger and glanced at Johnson who was gripping a four-to-five-foot-long limb with both hands. When he looked away, she struck him in the left cheek.

"The stick was long, but it was also thin," Lt. Wigtil said.

She then walked away toward Lynn Eusan Park and was quoted by Alvarez as saying, "Jesus is coming. The Lord will come to take all you mother f#õ%ers."

Alvarez then followed Johnson to M.D. Anderson Library where she entered through the Honors Lounge. UHPD officer Augustin Gonzalez found Johnson in the basement snack room where she was arrested.

She was then taken to the Harris County Jail where her bail was originally set at $500.

However, it was raised to $2,500 by Criminal Court of Law Judge Shelley Hancock.

Though Johnson was scheduled to appear in court last Friday, the judge felt some psychological evaluation was necessary before her court date, a courtroom clerk said. "He thinks she may have some mental problems."

Johnson is still in jail and is scheduled to reappear in Harris County Criminal Court No. 7 today.

McDONALD'S SERVES STUDENTS WHO NEED A BREAK

by Phillip Baeza

A newly remodeled McDonald's opened Saturday between UH and TSU with a commitment to the college students of the area.

The new McDonald's, located at 4005 Elgin, is equipped for students with a new copy/computer center and game room.

The student-oriented McDonald's was the idea of John Tillman, who graduated from UH in 1974. According to Tillman, there was not a business in the area that had the students in mind.

"There is not a single facility to treat the students right; the students have always been important to me," Tillman said.

According to McDonald's supervisor Ben Smith, this is an innovative idea and a first for McDonald's.

"This is the first of its kind where the focus is on the college atmosphere to reach out to the universities. Also, we want to make this a landmark for the area and hopefully a source of pride," Smith said.

The copy and computer center in the restaurant is completely independent and financially supported by Tillman, said Alfred Powers, the center's manager.

The center has three copiers, fax machines and three computers. The center also offers laminating and binding facilities. "There is already talk of expansion in anticipation of long lines for the equipment," Powers said. McDonald's will offer the same services as Kinkos but at a cheaper price, he added.

So far, reactions toward the new McDonald's are positive. "What a great unique idea, being able to grab lunch and do your school work," said Geary Broadnax, a resident of nearby University Oaks. "Actually, I was a bit distressed when they tore the old McDonald's down, but I like the new one," Broadnax said.

"Incredible!" said Oscar Martinez, a senior industrial supervision major, about the new restaurant. "I will definitely use these facilities."

JENKINS' OFFENSE BACK IN FORM

by Keith Rollins

Cougars Head Coach John Jenkins did his best to redeclare his team and the 'Run-and Shoot' offense in Saturday's win against Southwestern Louisiana.

Jenkins proved he could take a whipping last week in a 61-7 loss at Michigan. On this occasion, he proved he could keep on ticking against an over-matched Ragin' Cajun team to the tune of 63-7.

Jenkins' team -- redeclared.

"We really needed a game like this," Jenkins said. "We were able to dominate all phases of the game in the first half. It feels really great to get well in one short week."

The contest was definitely one-sided in all aspects of the game, similar to the blow-out levied by the Wolverines in Ann Arbor. Jenkins could taste a sizeable victory and devoured the thought with his offense, led by quarterbacks Jimmy Klingler and Donald Douglas.

In the first quarter, Klingler scored at will. After only 4:17 had elapsed, Klingler had connected twice with Daniel Adams for touchdown passes.

He finished the game with 315 yards passing as he connected on 24 of 35 attempts for five touchdowns. Add that to Douglas' statistics, and Cougar quarterbacks connected on 46 of 70 with 486 yards and seven touchdowns.

Jenkins' offense -- redeclared.

"Everything seemed to click," Klingler said. We didn't need a blow-out this week, we just needed to execute and play well."

Jenkins' offense was unstoppable at times. The Cougars were able to score on their first six possessions. Not until Douglas' fumble late in the second quarter did USL put its first touchdown in the books.

COUGARS RUIN RAGIN' CAJUNS 63-7; QBs SHINE

by Jason Luther

Southwestern Louisiana Head Coach Nelson Stokley said Saturday's game against the Cougars was over before it even started.

Actually, it began, much like last week's game against Michigan, with the decisive play occurring on the first play of the game.

From the time the Cajuns' Tory Williams fumbled the opening kickoff to Jimmy Klingler 52-yard touchdown strike to Lamar Smith with 3:11 left on the game clock, the 63-7 victory was all Houston.

The Cougars (2-2) scored touchdowns on their first six possessions and put the game away before many of the 17,123 fans at unfamiliar Rice Stadium had found their seats.

In the first half alone, Houston quarterbacks completed 24 of 35 pass attempts for 339 yards and five touchdowns. The Cajuns (2-3) completed only four of 10 with no touchdowns in the first half.

Cougars Coach John Jenkins said he was impressed at how the team bounced back from last weeks loss to Michigan.

"Being able to get well in one swift move sure did feel good," Jenkins said. "To be totally dominating was awful pleasing for us."

Although he would not admit it, Jenkins just may be softening a bit amidst all the pressure he has received lately concerning running up the score.

Throughout the game, Jenkins used 70 players from the Houston roster, including 13 walk-ons. At one point in the third quarter, he had four walk-on receivers in on the same play.

"For everybody to play is great for our squad," Jenkins said. "They all want to get in there and do well and I'm awful proud of them."

Jenkins also played his starters late in the game. He said his objective is always to keep fresh players in the game.

Just 55 seconds had elapsed in the first quarter when Klingler connected with Daniel Adams on an eight-yard pass play for the Cougars' first score. On Houston's next possession, Klingler hit Adams again for an eight-yard touchdown pass.

The Cougars took a 21-0 lead on its third possession as superback Lamar Smith capped off an 82-yard drive with a 17-yard touchdown run. It was Smith's first score since he joined Houston just over two weeks ago.

Smith finished the game with 133 all-purpose yards and three touchdowns.

On the possession following Smith's first touchdown, linebacker Nigel Ventress stripped the ball from USL tailback Isaac Benefield, giving Houston possession at the Cajun 25.

Donald Douglas took over at quarterback on the Cougars' next drive. Douglas connected with Keith Jack on a 10-yard touchdown with 4:14 left in the first quarter to give Houston a 28-0 lead. It was also Jack's first touchdown of the game.

There was plenty to go around.

Douglas hit Sherman Smith on a seven-yard touchdown pass on the second play of the second quarter to put the Cougars up 35-0.

Smith, who ranked fifth nationally in pass receptions going into Saturday's game, finished the game with 12 catches.

After a four-and-out on USL's first second quarter possession, a Jason McDonald punt return gave the Cougars the ball at the Cajun 17. Klingler came back in and threw a four-yard touchdown pass to Freddie Gilbert.

The Cougars scored once more on an 11-yard touchdown by Lamar Smith before the Cajuns managed get into the end zone.

There were only 22 seconds left in the first half when USL tackle John Robinson forced a Douglas fumble and Reginald Francois took the ball in from the two-yard line to put the score at 49-7 at halftime.

The Cougars' 49-first-half-points equalled a school record set in 1967 against Idaho.

Houston scored just twice in the second half on Klingler passes to Tracy Good and Lamar Smith as Jenkins ushered in the reserves.