RECENT RESTRUCTURING JUST A PRECURSOR OF THINGS TO COME

by Meagan McGovern

Despite the vice president for administration and finance's claim that few or no people were let go during the reshaping of his division, two full-time, three part-time people and eight work-study students were let go. The two full-time staffers, however, were later rehired in other divisions.

Dennis Boyd, vice president for administration and finance, presented his reorganized division at the University Planning and Policy Council meeting Monday.

Charles Shomper, the associate vice president for information technology, a division under Boyd, recently restructured his division. In doing so, he eliminated the "microcomputing sales" department.

This area was responsible for selling computers and equipment within the university. Because the department was eliminated, the employees were let go.

Shomper said the new shape of his division was determined by purely functional demands. "We needed to refocus in order to provide improved service and to achieve more efficiency," he said. "This had to do with function and function alone. That was what drove the process."

One person currently employed in information technology, who preferred not to be named, said, "Everyone either got transferred or unemployed or found a new job here at the school."

"There is no micro-sales department. It was part of the so-called budget cuts." He claims that these cut backs are not simply functional but a frightening portent of further restructuring.

Shomper said the two full-time staff members, a manager and a supervisor in the microcomputer sales department, and some of the part-time staff, have found other work within the university. The eight work-study students can be reassigned to other areas through the work-study program, he said.

When the phone number of the now-defunct division is called, a recording states, "If you wish to buy computers or accessory equipment, contact purchasing."

Shomper said the new organization is performing well, although it's too soon to know for sure. "We believe it's functioning more efficiently," he said.

Boyd said the restructuring of his department was not his contribution to the current university reshaping, but rather a precursor to it.

The areas Boyd is responsible for include the Physical Plant and all areas of financial affairs.

"We think it's (the reshaping of his department) the right thing to do right now. We think it's optimistic, timely and appropriate," he said.

Boyd said information technology was the only area affected -- for now. He has no such guarantees for the future. "We'll have to see. These are very difficult considerations. During these budget restrictions, one of our main goals is to protect employees."

"I'll be very careful when I fill vacancies in the next year. I'd much rather not fill a position, than have to fire some one later," he added.

*******************************************************

UH MBA GRADS MAKING LESS THAN UT MBA GRADS, STATS SAY

by Tom Anderson

Graduates of the UH Masters of Business Administration program earn, on average, 8 percent less than graduates of the MBA program at the University of Texas, according to a comparison of statistics from the UH and UT Career Planning and Placement Centers.

The average UH MBA graduate's salary is about $39,530, while graduates from UT's program earn about $43,000.

The lowest MBA salary reported by UT is $25,000; the highest is $72,000. The national average for MBA degrees is $30,912.

"I find it hard to believe," said Boyd Armstrong, career counselor at the UH Career Planning and Placement Center. "I don't know how the UT survey was conducted, but there are two things you have to consider: What is the undergraduate degree and what is the previous work experience."

Armstrong said the national salary averages are compiled by the College Placement Center (CPC), and $43,000 to $45,000 is in the upper range. It isn't likely, Armstrong said, that UT graduates get upper-range salaries without relevant work experience; UH averages are for students without intensive experience.

MBA graduates at UT with technical undergraduate degrees, such as engineering or one of the physical sciences, average $45,000 while non-technical undergraduates average $43,000.

A graduate of UT's Masters in Professional Accounting, however, receives $35,000. And while UT's average is low for a non-technical field, an MBA in accounting from UH averages only $31,875.

Undergraduate degrees in the UH College of Business Administration earn salaries above the national average in every area, although in some majors UH averages fall below UT's, according to the July 1991 report titled "Profile of Student Employment."

For example, accounting majors at UH average $27,513. The national average is $27,364, but UT graduates earn $28,000, about 2 percent more than UH.

Finance majors at UH average $26,580. The national average is $26,539 and UT graduates earn $28,000, about 4 percent more than UH.

Marketing majors at UH average $24,578. The national average is $24,214, and UT graduates earn $26,000, 5 percent more than UH.

"You need to know if the UT (job) offers are from several states," Armstrong said. "If you want to know if people make different salaries in different cities, the answer is probably yes."

UH College of Business Administration graduates do have salaries above those of graduates from UT in some areas.

UH Decision and Information Science majors, for example, earn $31,604. The national average is $28,641, and UT graduates earn $30,500, about 3.5 percent less than UH.

UH Management majors earn $25,670 while the national average is $24,848. UT graduates earn $25,000, about 2.5 percent less than UH.

"Students who are successful in getting good jobs with good salaries use a variety of methods to find a job," Armstrong said. "The job market is very competitive this year. Success or failure depends on the student."

"Employers are going to look at the whole student: background, grades, activities and organizations and related work experiences," he added.

STUDENT ARRESTED AFTER POLICE SEARCH CAR, FIND SHOTGUN, AUTOMATIC HANDGUN, AMMO

A female student was arrested on campus Wednesday afternoon for possessing a .40-caliber Glock (an automatic handgun) and a shotgun in her vehicle.

Psychology major Laura Marie Folks was arrested without incident and charged with a third degree felony, UHPD Lt. Helia Durant said.

"A parking enforcement assistant observed a shotgun in a vehicle (in lot 11B) as he was writing tickets," Durant said. "He notified the patrol officers who then waited for the person to return (to the car)."

After Folks returned to her car, she and UHPD established that she knew the guns were in the car, Durant said.

According to a statement by Folks to UHPD, "She was going to go skeet shooting after school."

After Folks' arrest, she was transported to Harris County Jail and her car was towed to the UHPD impound lot.

Police then did an inventory of Folks' vehicle and found the shotgun contained one round of ammunition.

Also found were 35 .12-guage Winchester shells and 10 .40-caliber Smith and Wesson shells.

Folks' $2,000 bail was paid Wednesday. She is scheduled to appear in Harris County Criminal Court of Law November 5.

PIZZA HUT APPEALS TO MASSES, OUTSELS ITZA; NEW OVEN SOON TO INCREASE OUTPUT

by Channing King

With word of mouth as the primary advertisement, the number of pizzas sold in the Satellite has skyrocketed since the addition of Pizza Hut Express.

"Business is far exceeding my expectations," said Harold Starbuck, the location's manager. "We are moving four times the number of pizzas as last year."

An average of 1,000 pizzas are sold every day, he said. Sales peak during the lunch hours of 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Wednesdays and Thursdays and dip on Fridays because of a dropoff in the number of students on campus, he added.

Weekly sales range from 4,500 to 4,700 pizzas. Whereas the Itza Pizza, which was replaced this year by the new Express, sold an average of 250 pizzas a day and 1,100 a week, Starbuck said.

Even using two ovens, lines are still a concern. "Our goal," Starbuck said, "is to get it down to grab and go -- with no lines."

A third oven, to be installed Saturday, will be ready to go Tuesday or Wednesday, he said.

Baking the pizzas before rushes begin is not possible, he said. To ensure freshness and quality, Pizza Hut Corp., a division of Pepsico Inc., says a pizza can only be held 15 minutes and then must be thrown away.

Not everyone on campus, however, is aware there of Express, he said. After the third oven is operational, Starbuck said he will expand the advertising.

He said a grand opening for the Express is planned, probably during the third week of October.

Darrell Oliver, an employee of Pizza Hut Express who worked for Itza Pizza last year, said the change is for the better.

"We've now got people coming from across campus, from the Towers and from the University Center for this pizza," Oliver said.

He said the work is harder and more competitive as well as more enjoyable than it was with Itza Pizza.

Starbuck said Pizza Hut Corp. approached the American Restaurant Association (ARA), the food service for UH, with the idea of putting a franchise on campus even though there is already a franchise next to the campus.

A. K. M. Shaju, the manager of Pizza Hut at 4711 Calhoun St., said the addition of the Express at the Satellite has had minimal effect on his business.

"Our restaurant, and the other sit-down Pizza Huts in Houston, have switched to a lunch-time buffet," said Shaju. "They're (Satellite) serving a Pizza Hut product and doing good and that's good for us."

Pizza Hut is not the only brand name food on campus. The American Cafe, the Satellite and Itza Pizza in the basement of Moody Towers currently sell Dunkin' Donuts. Starbuck said there might be more brands to come.

"Right now, ARA is looking at other ways we can bring in brand name items," he said. "It's too early to really be specific but we are looking."

LIST OFFENDS BLACK, MALE STUDENTS

ONEONTA, N.Y. (CPS) - The chancellor of New York's state university system apologized to students, faculty and staff at the State University College at Oneonta after an administrator gave a list of the school's black male students to police investigating an off-campus assault.

"I am saddened and disturbed over the action... that singled out African-American male students," said D. Bruce Johnstone, chancellor of the State University of New York.

"This was a serious and regrettable action. I extend my deepest apologies to those students as well as to all other students, faculty and citizens offended by this incident."

Leif Hartmark was suspended without pay for a month and demoted from vice president of administration to director of finance and administration after he gave police a list of the school's 125 black male students on Sept. 4.

A woman was assaulted off campus and she told police she had been attacked by a black male.

Hartmark sent letters of apology to all the students on the list, school officials said. He was unavailable for comment.

"I have advised campus presidents that this incident must serve as a lesson to remind us of how a single action can undermine the great strides of all our campuses in creating communities of harmony and mutual respect," Johnstone said. "We will be making special efforts in the months ahead to renew the trust which this incident has damaged."

QUINCY JONES' VIBE IN STEP WITH CHANGING TIMES

Jonathan Van Meter doesn't dress like a homeboy.

A former senior editor of Vogue magazine, he prefers wearing a blazer, blue jeans and a T-shirt.

The fact that he is comfortable embracing the hip-hop culture is obvious. He used to listen to the raps of the Sugar Hill Gang as he sat amongst a sea of African Americans on a yellow school bus.

With Vibe magazine, the brainchild of composer Quincy Jones, Van Meter departs from the flashiness of Vogue to establish his own crew, which has the talent necessary to produce a comprehensive, appealing magazine.

The premiere issue, which appeared on newsstands in September, contains impressive strengths and few weaknesses in its 144 pages.

Chief among its strong points is the design. From the table of contents to the articles and fashion spreads, the look captures the essence and excitement of hip hop. All of the photographs and graphic art is original. Even the brightly-lettered cover, which features the lead singer of rap group Naughty by Nature, is provocative.

Another strength of the magazine lies in the editorial content. Included are features about <i>Boyz N the Hood<P> director John Singleton; Stephanie Allain, the Columbia executive who discovered him; highly sought after model Naomi Campbell; singer Bobby Brown and female gangs.

Lisa Jones, a Village Voice writer who has assisted director Spike Lee with writing companion volumes to his films, holds a magnifying glass to the club scene of Minneapolis in a well-written article.

One photo spread, featuring tattooed musical artists, draws the eyes to its pages, which are filled with close-ups and explanations of what each tattoo signifies.

Other articles of note include a touching basketball court feature written in first person. In it, the author Thomas Beller debates if he should send the mother of a dead young man a note expressing his sympathy.

Rosemary L. Bray, an editor for the New York Times Book Review, penned a strong analytical essay about Sir Mix-A-Lot's song, "Baby Got Back."

While the bass and repetitive beats of rap music have seemingly pervaded the airwaves, one main strength of Vibe is its treatment of rap artists as artists, not as people to be placed in a box and stereotyped. The list extends not only to vocalists and deejays, but also to writers, directors, producers, fashion designers and even to men of the '60s such as Malcolm X and singer James Brown.

Rap is not the only category of music featured in Vibe. Other musical genres include reggae, pop, rhythm and blues, house music and new jack swing, an upbeat blend of music created with catchy up-tempo lyrics, synthesizers and percussion instruments.

It is clear Van Meter has a feel for the hip-hop culture. The language, styles of dress, tastes in music and issues of concern are treated and presented properly.

Some of the most polished apples have worms, however.

A good example of weakness is found in an interview with rapper L.L. Cool J. The problem is not the interviewee, but the interviewer, Kristine McKenna.

After L.L. Cool J. made some convincing, intelligent responses about racism, spirituality, ancestral communication and social ills, McKenna continues to ask him such basic questions as "Do you own a gun?", "What's the best thing about money?", "What do you think is the difference between self-confidence and conceit?" and "Do you like the way you look?"

Also, an article that gives Madonna even more exposure at a time when she clearly does not need it seems misplaced. It is basically a space filler that introduces readers to some of her associates and friends.

Aside from a few missteps, however, Vibe does have the style and strength in editorial content to stand on its own as a cutting-edge publication.

To his credit, Van Meter manages to handle the job of editor well by giving readers a good balance of thought-provoking articles.

BRIEFS

DEAD RINGER

DURHAM, N.H. (CPS) -- Bells that have chimed for decades on the University of New Hampshire campus have been silenced because of complaints about the volume, the time of concerts and because some of the music is of Christian origin.

Since 1952, a carillon of 246 bells has been played at daily 10-minute concerts in the morning and at lunchtime. The music includes the New Hampshire hymn, and the school alma mater, which is written to the Christian music, "Lead on, Oh King Eternal."

Recently the concerts were moved from 8 a.m. to 7:45 a.m. because professors said the music interfered with early classes. The noon concert was moved from 12 noon to 12:30 p.m. because classes have been lengthened.

The complaints began with the change of schedule, says a school spokesman.

University officials are reviewing the complaints. In the meantime, the bells will remain silent for the first time in 40 years.

D & F = BOOZE

WASHINGTON (CPS) -- College students with low grades consume an average of 11 alcoholic drinks a week, three times the amount that honor roll students do, say researchers from two universities.

The study, based on a survey of 56,000 students on 78 campuses during the 1989-90 school year, also found that students at smaller schools are drinking more than at larger schools and that male students are more likely than women to go on drinking binges.

Students who were getting D's and F's were averaging 10.8 drinks a week, while students with A's were consuming 3.4 drinks.

Researchers from Southern Illinois University and the College of William and Mary in Virginia analyzed the survey results and created the report, which is intended to assist school officials in designing substance abuse prevention programs.

Researchers found that alcohol, as expected, is the drug of choice: 86 percent of respondents said they used it in the last year, and 45 percent said they drink on a weekly or more frequent basis.

Twenty-seven percent of students said they smoked pot in the past year and 6.1 percent said they used cocaine.

Other drugs reported on campus included steroids, opiates, hallucinogens, amphetamines, sedatives and inhalants. The most significant result is the link between alcohol and grades, say officials.

DEGREES GALORE

WASHINGTON (CPS) -- The number of students receiving degrees at colleges and universities could reach an all-time high inmost categories in the 1992-93 school year, the Department of Education said.

At least 490,000 associate degrees are expected to be conferred this year. The estimates, in the department's annual back-to-school forecast, include: bachelor's, 1.13 million; master's 345,000; and doctorates, 41,000.

About 75,000 degrees will be awarded to students in medicine, theology and law schools, the department estimated.