UH BOOKSTORE TRIUMPHS, WINS $9 MILLION CONTRACT

by Melinda McBride

Only a student's agony of paying between $40 to $60 for an average textbook eclipses a national company's anguish at losing a $9 million contract to sell it.

The five-year UH bookstore contract, for which Follett College Stores bid more than $1 million for rent alone, will be awarded to Barnes and Noble when UH's Board of Regents meets Oct. 21.

B & N won the 1987 five-year contract against similar Follett competition. Because B & N's initial five-year contract is up in December, the UH Bookstore Review Committee decided to put the contract up for bid Sept. 4 rather than automatically grant B & N's optional three-year extension.

"The idea was not to say Barnes and Noble hasn't been doing a good job but to make sure they were providing the best package available -- for the students and for the university," said Marcia Gerhardt, director of Administrative Services, about UH's call for bids.

Follett, the largest campus bookstore chain with 408 stores nationwide, quickly put together a proposal to take over UH's bookstore and eight auxiliary operations.

"My proposal offered a $3 million savings to students over five years," said Dennis Saner, central region vice president of marketing for Follett College Stores.

Saner said his frustration over losing the bid centers on used-book sales. Barnes and Noble's used-text sales account for 22 percent of all bookstore sales.

Saner said his proposal afforded UH the opportunity to increase used-book sales to 45 percent -- saving students money and generating more money for the university through volume sales.

"They (Follett) came in and said, 'We think you should sell more used textbooks,' and Barnes and Noble said, 'You're right, we should,' " Gerhardt said to Saner's accusation that B & N has had five years to bring used textbooks sales up the 25 percent national standard -- but has not.

Because of B & N's low used-text ratio, Gerhardt said the new five-year contract requires the bookstore to increase used-book sales to 30 percent. B & N's re-negotiated contract also guarantees the university more than $1 million a year from bookstore sales, almost $100,000 for the UC copy center rent and $15,000 for the bookstore annex.

B & N will also provide $15,000 for scholarships and $100,000 for bookstore renovation.

"Follett wanted to emphasize the used textbooks to us and the selling of other items," said Gerhardt. "But we didn't feel that was enough to warrant the lower revenue to the university that Follett was offering us. They couldn't prove they could deliver what they offered.

According to Saner, however, B & N didn't provide the financial information Follett needed to propose a competitive financial guarantee.

"We did not make a specific commitment about giving UH $1 million or $1.5 million," said Saner. "We just told them that we'd guarantee them 9 percent of gross sales up to $10 million." He said the 13 committee members "didn't ask who's going to deliver the sales. They didn't really look at who the highest bidder was."

Saner claims his company achieved 40 percent national used-book sales through volume business. "B & N isn't capitalizing on selling clothing and academic trade books. That means they're losing out on $4.2 million a year -- that's money that would be coming back to the students," Saner said referring to the money UH gets from a bookstore's guarantee -- money that goes into academic scholarship funds and alumni scholarship funds.

Saner bases the $4.2 million on the National Association of College Stores '91-'92 Financial Survey. NACS surveyed 95 percent of the national college stores and determined the average student spends $400 a year on books. B & N, according to Saner's proposal, average $282 a year per student.

Follett began running Baylor University's bookstore in Waco in 1986. "When Follett took over, we didn't even have a manager," said Gary Luft, assistant business manager at Baylor. "Now, even with Rothers bookstore across the street, we're doing $6 million a year and only have 12,500 students."

UH's bookstore brings in $3 million more a year but has 20,000 more students.

"That's a customer service issue," said Saner. "Barnes and Noble needs to ask themselves if they're selling the product students want to buy."

Jerry Maloney, UH bookstore general manager, admits B & N has been making progress in the customer service arena, "but not enough. We're redoubling our efforts in advertising and in book buy-backs," he said.

Maloney said two mobile buy-back trailers are tentatively scheduled for spring semester and will be "strategically located during final's week in front of the UC Satellite and between Hofheinz Pavilion and the stadium."

"The mobile units will travel to the student," said Gerhardt, "because if one of the reasons used-book sales are low is that students are unable to get to the main bookstore, we'll just have to find another way to reach them."

Maloney said teachers not turning their book list in on time so used-books can be ordered, and UH being a commuter campus contribute to the low used-book sales.

According to Gerhardt, if the university is displeased with B & N during the next five years, UH can re-bid or cancel their contract.

*******************************************************

RESEARCH FUNDS ELUDING RESEARCHERS' COFFERS

by Jeff Balke

This year UH expects a $5.2 million indirect-fund windfall from the government. Unfortunately, the researchers won't see much of it.

The government gives the university a 48.5 percent "bonus" they calculate from the total amount of federal grant money the school receives. So, for every dollar researchers received, the government adds .49 and presents it to the school in one lump sum. The government's money helps pay faculty salaries, maitenance and other costs incurred by the university.

The university, allowed to use the money at its discretion, splits it between the university's general fund and the research college, department and researcher.

This year $5.2 million in indirect research funds will be returned to the university. Of that, the university automatically takes $2.85 million to fund faculty raises mandated by the state in 1987, according to the Office of Sponsored Programs.

"The money for the raises must come from somewhere, so I don't expect our policy to change," said Julie Norris, director of OSP.

Norris also said members of the faculty would like to see the $2.85 million taken out after the money is divided. But she doesn't expect that to happen becuase its a fixed dollar amount -- whether indirect funds go up or down, that figure stays the same.

Dr. Joe Carbonari, the associate dean of social science, is concerned, along with other researchers, about where the money goes. "We (researchers) don't know where the money (from indirect cost funds) is being spent," he said.

According to OSP, after the money for raises is taken out, the remaining funds are split in half. Dr. Harrell Rodgers, dean of the College of Social Sciences, said the university has an ethical obligation to help researchers. In fact, he takes the money that the College of Social Sciences recieves from indirect funds and returns all of it to the department doing the research. "I know how tight research budgets are," he said.

Carbonari and Rodgers agree the library and the computers on campus should receive money directly from indirect research funds. Carbonari said, "The library and the computers are absolutely essential to researchers as well as students. You can't even write a good application for a grant without them."

Dr. David Francis, a graduate professor of psychology, said that research is essential, not just for the university but also for students. Most information in journals and textbooks is at least two years old, he said. He said researchers who teach put students on the cutting edge of that subject. "Teaching and research go together. They're like two lanes on the same highway," he said.

Ultimately, what researchers want is more participation in the administrative process. Rodgers, Carbonari, Francis and a number of other concerned faculty members met with members of administration last year, including UH President James Pickering, to discuss problems with research funding. Rodgers said that concerns were aired by the faculty on equitable distribution of indirect research funds.

Rodgers also believes UH should make returning as much money as possible to researchers a high priority. "By not giving them [the researchers] as much as possible, the university creates a 'disincentive' for research," he said.

Rodgers also argued with former UH President Marguerite Ross Barnett about a program she was trying to fund called the President's Research Enhancement Fund. The money in this fund was taken out of the general fund and distributed among research programs.

Rodgers argued that the money was not being distributed equitably. He also said that it was ridiculous to take money out of the general fund for research because it's the same fund the research money went in the first place. "It's like taking the money out with one hand and giving it back with the other," he said.

Francis said, "If the administration would involve faculty in the decision-making process more often, we could circumvent problems."

Without allowing the faculty, especially the researchers, to have a say in where research dollars are allocated, the administration continues to widen the gap between themselves and the faculty.

TEMPERS FLARE AT CHOICE RALLY; NOW URGES STUDENTS TO VOTE FOR DEMOCRATS

by Rachel Gewirtz

Bush says. Clinton says. The Bible says. The judge says.

UH students and political candidates gathered Wednesday at a pro-choice rally and open forum to voice their opinions on abortion, politics and a woman's right to choose.

The rally, which was sponsored by the National Organization for Women, aimed to persuade the crowd to vote for candidates who are pro-choice and who will work for women's rights in general.

"Press D4 at the polls," was the slogan of the day. D4 is the code used for a straight democratic ticket. UH's Lynn Eusan Park was covered with pro-choice signs and political tables, while candidates for judge, sheriff, and the state and national congress pleaded with the crowd to get involved, vote democratic and stand up for a women's right to choose.

Pro-choice advocates stood on their toes with signs that read, "Nobody chooses for my MA!" and "My body my choice." They attempted to block the pro-lifers who gathered around the sidelines with signs that read, "It's a baby" and "The woman in the womb deserves a choice."

When the pro-life advocates approached the rally, a loud voice from the crowd grunted "uh opposition."

"If <I>Roe vs. Wade<P> is overturned, it will be the judges who decide its constitutionality," said Frances Poppy Northcutt, candidate for the 178th District Court. "If a teenager wants to get an abortion without her parents' permission, she will have to go to a state judge to get passed for the abortion. It is important to know who you are voting for -- right down to the state and court levels," she said.

Women were not the only people speaking out at the rally. A number of men stood up to let people know they didn't have to be female to be a feminist. "Violence against women got me in this race. Women suspects are treated worse than male suspects by law enforcers. I entered this race because there are no other law enforcers that care about violence against women like I do," said Paul Day, candidate for Harris County sheriff.

Day told a story of a former female prisoner who became pregnant in jail. The woman refused to speak of it while in jail for fear of being denied parole. After her release, she told Day she was given "a couple of shots" and then started hemorrhaging. The jail did not give her a check-up for three months after the miscarriage.

"There is no sensitivity in law enforcement. The current sheriff does not care about women's rights. Pick the right candidates or you won't have women's rights," said Day.

"We need to show a multi-cultural force. We need good women candidates and good minority candidates to elect," said Yolanda Navarra Flores, state representative candidate for District 148. She said a woman's right to choose is considered a civil-rights issue. The forum addressed the importance of electing anti-racist, anti-sexist candidates.

All of the candidates ended their speeches with a call for the peoples' vote for Bill Clinton and Al Gore.

Pro-life advocates felt as if the event moved away from the issue at hand and turned into a purely political event. "God is the only one who can take away a life. They keep saying abortion shouldn't be a political issue but they keep calling out D4," said Carrie Bennett, a senior in elementary education.

Passersby stopped to participate in the rally and express their opinions. "I would not have an abortion but I believe in the right to choose. Abortion has to become a political issue but just because you're a Republican does not mean you're against abortion or think only one way," said Melissa Moreschi, a junior in business administration.

A voice in the crowd yelled "Being a Republican for abortion is like being a Christian against Christ."

BLOOD LUST A VAMPIRE STORY WITH BITE

by Rebecca McPhail

Author Carol Page has finally found a subject she can sink her teeth into: vampires.

Page spent the past three years conducting interviews and compiling research for her book, <I>Blood Lust<P>.

The book chronicles the lives of several modern-day vampires.

Page said "A vampire is a person who drinks blood. Period. "I don't think the classic vampire sleeps in a coffin -- although I do know several that do sleep in coffins -- the immortal vampire, so to speak, I don't think there's anything to it at all."

Page's foray into the world of vampires began several years ago after running across the Vampire Information Exchange Newsletter (VIEN).

"I realized there were some very unusual people out there doing some very unusual things," she said.

Page, who has written numerous magazine articles, had little experience documenting the "dark side" of American culture.

"I did a lot of boring journalism pieces, including a lot of travel writing and human interest stories," she said.

Undaunted, Page drafted a book proposal about real-life vampires. Her agent sold the idea to the first publisher she showed it to.

Once immersed in the vampire lifestyle, Page found herself in several harrowing situations, including an interview with "Gabriel," a man in prison for killing his grandmother.

During the six months following the interview, Gabriel sent Page numerous letters asking to meet with her.

But several months before his parole, Gabriel stabbed a prison guard and nullified any chances of getting out.

Page was thankful he wasn't released.

"I was genuinely worried," she said. "I was going to make it my business to know where he was."

Although the other vampires weren't as threatening, each of them was offbeat in their own way.

"They've embraced this alternative lifestyle as a way of making themselves seem special, sexy, powerful and all the things vampires are thought to be," she said. "But the fact is, things just don't work that way."

In fact, Page's de-glamorized account of their lives have left some of the vampires with a bad taste in their mouths.

"A lot of the vampires in my book are mad at me. They feel that they were portrayed unfavorably. I feel that I did the only thing I could do, which was portray them accurately," she said.

"Certainly they have found that their activities don't seem as romantic and sexy when they are in black and white."

Page believes the myth of the sexy vampire started with Bram Stoker's novel, <I>Dracula<P>. The tradition has been carried on by writers such as Anne Rice, whose vampire chronicles center on the vampire, rock-singer Lestat.

<I>Blood Lust<P>, which was recently released in paperback, has led to more unique projects for Page.

"I'm just now getting on the edge and I like it there," she said.

For her latest project, Page is writing about "George," a man who's been accused of being the Boston Strangler for the past 28 years.

Page spent more than 100 hours interviewing George, and she believes he is innocent of the crime.

She believes so strongly, in fact, she urged the district attorney to re-open his case, with no success. But Page has not given up hope.

"<I>A Current Affair<P> is going to cover the story. Something like that could really get the ball rolling," she said.

Page, who likes to throw herself into her work, admits there is one thing she would not do while researching <I>Blood Lust<P> -- she would not drink blood. She was told, however, she should feel free to donate blood to those who would partake. Again, Page declined.

"That's the beauty of being a woman," she said. "You don't have to be macho. I don't do things that involve razor blades."

METHENY PAINTS LYRICAL PORTRAITS

by Jeff Balke

After sixteen albums, six Grammy awards and countless collaborations with numerous world-renowned musicians, jazz guitarist Pat Metheny has released his first solo album,<I>Secret Story<P>.

<I>Secret Story<P> is not a typical jazz album; it is a dense, heavily orchestrated work of art.

The result of a collaboration with veteran British arranger-conductor Jeremy Lubbock, <I>Secret Story<P> is a compilation of deeply personal songs Metheny has written over the past five years.

Lubbock, whose soundtrack credits include Barbara Streisand, Madonna and various films, helped Metheny arrange and conduct members of the London Symphony Orchestra.

The result is an aural kaleidoscope of sound. Influences from around the world including Cambodia, India, Japan and Brazil are represented through dense instrumentation and eerie, chanting vocals.

Metheny makes good use of the many well-respected musicians who play on <I>Secret Story<P>. Included in the all-star cast of musicians on the album are Charlie Haden, Steve Ferrone, Toots Theilmans, Lyle Mays and Will Lee, among many others. Steve Ferrone (Eric Clapton) and Will Lee (Late Night with David Letterman) provide great grooves on several songs. Metheny's touring band, represented by Steve Rodby and Paul Wertico as well as several others, adds a familiarity to the album, even if it is quite a departure for Metheny.

<I>Secret Story<P> is quite different from Metheny's last effort, <I>Question and Answer<P>, which showcased Metheny in a traditional jazz trio format.

Regardless, <I>Secret Story<P> is a brilliant mixture of jazz, new age and an assortment of world music that blends perfectly on Metheny's musical canvass. Sounding more at times like a movie score than a jazz album, <I>Secret Story<P> paints a musical portrait of Metheny and demonstrates his ability to play and write in a variety of musical contexts.

Metheny has performed and recorded with some of the world's most innovative musicians over the past two decades: Sonny Rollins, Ornette Colemean, Milton Nascimento, Miroslav Vitous and Herbie Hancock, just to name a few. These experiences laid the groundwork for Metheny to explore modern music using his unique style of playing and composing.

In addition to the wide range of players with whom Metheny has worked, he taught at both Berkeley College of Music in Boston and, while still in his teens, at the University of Miami.

<I>Secret Story<P>, although a departure from Metheny's jazz roots, is more than a great recorded work of music. It is a work of art. From beginning to end, <I>Secret Story<P> is a classic demonstration of Metheny's artistic ability to paint a touching and beautiful musical portrait.

Metheny will be appearing at the Music Hall 8 p.m., Saturday, Oct. 24.

STARS OF 1492 SUMMONED TO DEFEND COLUMBUS

by Jeff Schnaufer

LOS ANGELES (CPS) -- Five hundred years after he stepped onto the New World, Christopher Columbus is stirring things up again. This time, though, the debate is over whether or not his character should be labeled a hero or villain.

Director Ridley Scott (<I>Alien, Thelma and Louise<P>), actor Gerard Depardieu (<I>Green Card<P>) and French screenwriter Roselyn Bosch recently found themselves in the center of that debate.

In Los Angeles to promote their film, <I>1492: Conquest of Paradise<P>, which opened Oct. 9, the trio defended their depiction of Columbus as a man sympathetic, rather than insensitive, to Native Americans.

"To say that Columbus is responsible for what came after him is to say that Einstein was responsible for (atomic energy). He didn't know Mr. Truman would one day push the button and kill 200,000 Japanese," said Depardieu, who portrays Columbus and read the explorer's letters to prepare for the role. "I think they made a mistake. The true villain was (Spanish explorer) Cortez."

"I truly believe (the Indian slaughter) was pretty much of an aside," said Bosch, who was writing her first screenplay. "I don't believe anyone went there with the idea in the back of their mind that I am going to wipe out all the Indians. (Columbus) wanted to bring the word of God."

To its credit, the film is careful to depict Columbus as a man with weaknesses and Indians as people with strength. Columbus expressed much more difficulty coping with life in the New World than the Native Americans do in coping with the Spaniards.

At one point, when Columbus asks his Indian friend, Utapan (Bercelio Moya), why he is leaving him, Utapan responds, "You never learned my language."

For Depardieu, this weakness made Columbus all the more appealing as an acting role.

"To be a hero like Columbus, you must be a villain, too," said Depardieu, who has acted in dozens of French films. "I love to put in the hero some weakness. I don't like to play a positive hero."

Both Scott and Bosch were quick to point out that Columbus was a dreamer who was unprepared when his dream came true.

"The man was clearly a driven man who was a visionary," Scott said. "Visionaries usually have tunnel vision, that's why they're visionaries.

But Depardieu also hopes that viewers don't overlook Columbus' successes for his weaknesses.

"He changed the world after 1492," Depardieu said. "He proved that the earth was round. This was a big discovery."

For his part, director Scott hopes Columbus critics won't judge Scott's film a success or a failure be Columbus' weaknesses.

"I hope they react to the film after the film, not before it," Scott said, adding: "Try to understand that events then and now; they're not going to reverse themselves."

ASST. COACH ARRESTED FOR GIVING FALSE THEFT REPORT

OFFICERS SPOTS COACH'S 'STOLEN' BRIEFCASE ON DESK

A UH assistant basketball coach was arrested for giving a false report to UHPD, a class A misdemeanor.

Timothy Eatman, women's basketball team assistant coach, reported to UHPD last Saturday that his vehicle was broken into and his briefcase, three rings and his keys were stolen, Lt. Brad Wigtil said.

However, Eatman's arrest was the result of some alleged discrepancies between UHPD findings and the details of the report, Wigtil said.

Eatman's keys were allegedly found in the Astrodome by a UH custodial employee's nephew the day before the report was filed, Wigtil said.

"The keys went through a number of people before they reached us," he said.

Eatman's briefcase with the rings inside were also found -- in Eatman's office.

A UHPD officer in Hofheinz Pavilion noticed a briefcase in Eatman's office that resembled the one reported stolen, Wigtil said. Further investigation proved that the items were not stolen.

"There seemed to be inconsistencies with what was happening and how he (Eatman) said it actually happened," he said. "When people give a false report to a police officer it's a crime and it's not necessary to try to explain why the false report was made."

Eatman was taken to Harris County Monday and released on a $500 bail. He is scheduled appear in court next Monday.

• • •

A graduate student was arrested for having a loaded shotgun in his vehicle after rushing to deliver a master's thesis defense.

Benjamin Richter, a 22-year-old industrial engineering student, was arrested for possession of a .12-guage Mossberg shotgun, a third-degree felony, Wigtil said.

Richter's vehicle was being towed for illegal parking when the gun was discovered on the floorboard by the towing crew.

Richter said the car and the weapon belong to his father, who uses the gun to clear land.

"My car was in the shop so I jumped in my father's car to deliver my defense," Richter said. "I didn't realize it (the gun) was there."

Richter was transported to Harris County Jail and released on a $2,000 bail.

Though he was scheduled to appear in court yesterday, he was rescheduled because he was not given the opportunity to get an attorney.

• • •

Dried blood stains may be a main source of verification of suspects who burglarized four UH students' cars early Tuesday morning.

After Nicholas Ignatiev, a pre-business junior, called UHPD at 2:45 a.m. to report a burglary to his vehicle in lot 9C, Sgt. D. Swigeart went to the lot to check for other burglarized vehicles, Wigtil said.

"He found Ignatiev's driver's side window shattered and three other cars had been burglarized," he said.

A car radio was stolen from Ignatiev's vehicle. Also stolen was an AM/FM cassette player from freshman architecture major Jason Just's vehicle.

The suspect, still unidentified, shattered Just's passenger-side window and dripped blood on the dashboard and passenger door.

"The blood can be used for comparison and verification after we have established a suspect or suspects," Wigtil said.

English major Steven Moya and freshman psychology major Ari Marmell also had their vehicles broken into, but nothing was reported missing, Wigtil said.

Moya's radio knobs were tampered with and blood was left on the glove box; Marmell's driver's-side rear window was shattered and blood stains were left on the door post of the same side.

Wigtil also said the vehicles were burglarized at random and, "It doesn't appear to be the criminal activity of experienced car burglars."

NEWS BRIEFS

New Play

UH English Professor Elizabeth Brown-Guillory will premier her new play <I>Just A Little Mark<P> on Cullen Performance Hall's main stage Nov. 5 and 8.

The play deals with a family that has withstood years of erosion. Despite the tribulations they face, family members find ways to resolve conflicts and strengthen their bond.

Two performances are also scheduled Nov. 6 and 7 at St. Peter's Church.

Harassment

"Sexual Harassment in the Work place" video tapes have been made available in the M.D. Anderson Videotape Library by the UH Office of Affirmative Action.

These materials are offered as a supplement to training now available in the area of sexual harassment. Additional copies of the tape are available in the Office of Affirmative Action. For details, call 395-2800.

Speech

Artist Gael Stack will deliver the first lecture of 1992-93 UH Inventive Minds Speakers Series Tuesday, Oct. 20, at 7 p.m. in the UH Hilton Grand Ballroom.

The series honors academic, artistic and scientific creativity and imagination. Admission is free.

ABORTION AN EMOTIONAL, INFLUENTIAL ISSUE IN PRESIDENTIAL RACE

(CPS) -- If a single issue has deeply divided the country, split campuses, threatened friendships and fractured political parties, it is the issue of abortion rights.

"Pro-life" or "pro-choice," have become buzzwords this election year, peppering campaign speeches and churning up frenzied debate.

Some college students will be voting for the first time, many of them attracted to the polls because of personal convictions about abortion.

President Bush is the pro-life candidate, while Bill Clinton represents the pro-choice movement.

Because more college-age women are affected by abortion than any other age group, both candidates have strong support on campuses throughout the nation.

President Bush supports a constitutional amendment that would outlaw abortion except in cases of rape, incest or when the woman's life is endangered.

"President Bush supports the right to life and believes it is a precious gift," said Darcey Campbell, assistant press secretary of the Bush-Quayle campaign. "He believes all humans have intrinsic dignity and worth. He is opposed to abortion except when the life of the mother is threatened.

"The president clearly understands it is a difficult and painful decision for most Americans," she added.

Bush has vetoed legislation that would have overturned the "gag" rule, which bans abortion counseling by federally funded family-planning clinics.

Bush has angered abortion rights activists, including some within his own party, with his opposition to abortion.

This summer, hundreds of thousands of activists marched past the White House with signs that read, "George, Are You Free to Baby-sit?" and "Free Barbara Bush." The demonstrators took to the streets when the Supreme Court, in a 5-4 decision, voted to uphold most provisions of a restrictive Pennsylvania abortion law, but stopped short of overturning <I>Roe v. Wade<P>, the 1973 decision that made abortion legal.

Clinton supports abortion rights, opposes the "gag" rule, supports federal funding for abortion for low-income women and opposes spousal-consent laws.

As governor of Arkansas, Clinton signed legislation to provide for parental notification when minors seek abortions, but his campaign staff said he has revised his position.

"Initially, the governor did not think a young woman should have to go through a procedure like that alone," Max Parker, deputy press secretary, said about Clinton's original stand in favor of parental notification.

"Since that time, the governor has said he would feel comfortable with (the accompanying person) not being limited to the parent, but possibly a counselor, or a minister," she said.

"Bill Clinton believes that the most serious decision in a woman's life should be made by the woman and not by the government," said Ethan Zindler, assistant press secretary of the Clinton-Gore campaign in Little Rock, Ark.

Clinton's sentiments are popular with many college students, said Kirsten Shaw, a research assistant in Washington, D.C., and recent graduate of Ohio Wesleyan University.

"I'm supporting Clinton because he supports abortion rights," Shaw said. "They've both been wishy-washy, but I don't think he'll back out on his pro-choice stance if he is elected."

Shaw, who was a pro-choice activist her senior year of college, predicts many college-age voters will support Clinton over Bush.

"Women are leaving the Republican party because of this issue, because Bush has chosen to go with the radical, pro-life segment," she said.

Christina Diaz of Texas Collegians for Life does not agree. She will cast her vote, she said, for President Bush for no reason other than his opposition to the Freedom of Choice bill.

"The choice is extremely clear. President Bush and Vice President Quayle have been strong defenders of life," she said. "I don't consider myself a Republican; I'm really a frustrated Democrat."

Diaz, who calls Bush a "strong and eloquent defender of the right to life," said many of her college friends will also vote for Bush because of his stand on abortion.

"I will vote for somebody who will take a stand in defense of the unborn because that is the principal, compassionate stand to take," she said.

OLD BELIEFS ABOUT TRANSFER STUDENTS' QUESTIONED

ANN ARBOR (CPS) - Community college students are no less likely to succeed when they transfer to a four-year college than students who began their academic career at a four-year institution, a University of Michigan study said.

The report contradicts previous research findings that found students who attended a community college are at a "definite disadvantage" in earning a degree or going to graduate school.

"Having attended community college does not appear to lessen the likelihood of their graduating from college, enrolling in graduate school or aspiring to attend graduate school in the future," said Valerie Lee, an associate professor of education who conducted the study.

Lee tracked 422 students who entered community college and transferred to a four-year institution, and compared them with 1,899 students who went from high school directly to a four-year school. In both groups, 69 percent of the students either graduated or were ready to graduate from the four-year institution.

STUDENTS PARTICIPATE IN COMING OUT WEEK

By John Williams

(CPS) -- College and university gay, lesbian and bisexual groups participated in the National Coming Out Day Oct. 11, a day that was dedicated for people to tell the truth about their lives.

"Once you have come out to someone there is euphoria. You're on the road to high integrity," said Lynn Shepodd, executive director of National Coming Out Day in Santa Fe, N.M. "We will never put an end to anti-gay discrimination until we are out."

There are numerous gay, lesbian and bisexual student groups on campuses through out the United States, and many are using National Coming Out Day and week-long activities to educate the straight and gay communities.

"We want to reach men and women who are gay, lesbian and bisexual and who aren't out yet," said Brad Berkland, treasurer of the Ten Percent Society at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. "We have been told that Coming Out Week was important for some people, because they were coming to terms with the self."

The Ten Percent Society, a student support and social group, had planned several events, including speakers, workshops and a dance. This year's theme, Berkland said, was how minorities cope with their homosexuality and the reaction they receive from other minorities and the gay and lesbian community.

"We made efforts to include people of color and women," he said. "In Madison we have a reputation of being a white male organization. We want to try for a wide appeal."

Coming out is a difficult process, said Deborah Bey, co-president of the society, because students fear becoming estranged from friends and family.

"There is all the stigma and fear of not being accepted by families and your friends, she said. "When you think of coming out, there automatically comes to mind a stereotype of what a gay or lesbian is, and those stereotypes are all wrong. And there is strong fear of losing your friends and family."

John Nichols, director of the student center at the University of Denver, said the National Coming Out events were sponsored by the school, and educational programs ranged from gay activism to explaining how people can let friends and family know they are gay, lesbian or bisexual.

This is the second year the University of Denver has sponsored the event, he said. In 1991, Parents and Friends of Lesbians and Gays conducted a session on how to be an ally of homosexuals. There was also a panel on homosexuality and religion.

The University of Denver program is not going to address the AIDS issue.

"We stayed away from the AIDS (issue) because it is sort of like talking about two issues," he said.