UH RESEARCHERS BURDENED WITH GRADUATE STUDENTS' HEALTH-CARE COSTS

by Jeff Balke

UH researchers will now have to pay for graduate students' health benefits along with their salaries due to state and UH administrative policy.

In September 1991, Texas mandated a raise in health benefits for graduate students. As a result, UH and other state-funded universities were forced to find ways to pay for the increase. One solution was to pass the costs on to the researchers who employed the students.

Julie Norris, director of the Office of Sponsored Programs, said "The state has always allowed graduate students to benefit from medical insurance and UH has to pay for it."

The problem, according to David Francis, a graduate professor of psychology, is that the increase was more than expected and many researchers were already strapped for research funds.

Researchers can budget for this money when applying for a grant, but many researchers were caught in the middle of research that was already tightly budgeted, he said.

In fact, Francis had already experienced a cut in his budget on a grant he had been awarded. "We were told in a memo from the university in November of 1990 that there would be a 21 percent increase in benefits to graduate students. Then in September (1991), we were told that it was 30 percent," he said.

Norris confirmed the release of the memo to researchers. "We [the administration] realized that the increase hurt funding for some because of multi-year grants," she said.

Joe Carbonari, associate dean of social science, said "Most of us got caught in a bind with the increase."

Francis said "The university clearly makes money on grants. I don't see why they couldn't have estimated better or covered it [the 9 percent increase not accounted for in the memo] from their side."

Harrell Rodgers, dean of the College of Social Science, said the university has an ethical obligation to help researchers because they generate funds for the university and help pay employees. The university should make researchers a high priority, he added.

Francis said "The university could have been more helpful; instead, they passed the cost on to us."

This and other concerns were voiced by Francis, Carbonari, Rodgers and others involved in research at UH to members of the administration in a meeting last year.

According to Rodgers, the meeting was to help administrative leaders and members of the faculty air out difficulties. Also, it gave us the opportunity to show the problems with grant overhead on campus to the administration, he said.

*******************************************************

KU KLUX KLANSMEN ARRESTED AT KUHT-TV

by Channing King

Four escorts of the Texas Ku Klux Klan Grand Dragon were arrested Wednesday night in lot 8A for possession of firearms on campus.

Four shotguns and 100 shells were found in their possession, said Lt. Brad Wigtil of the UHPD.

Francis Quebodeaux, Larry Ray Walker and Dub Dale Tucker were later charged with possession of weapons on campus property, a third degree felony.

Charles Lee, the Grand Dragon of the Texas KKK, arrived at the Channel 8 studio with a guest and five men wearing jungle camouflage fatigues, said Wigtil.

While the guest accompanied Lee inside KUHT, Quebodeaux, Walker, Tucker and two others remained outside in their Dodge pickup and Ford van, Wigtil said.

At 10 p.m., near the end of the program, Wigtil said, the men turned on the dome light of the van, attracting the attention of UHPD Sgt. Jon Williams.

Williams looked through the van's window and saw a shotgun on the floor and two shotgun cases, said Wigtil.

After calling for assistance, Williams arrested Quebodeaux, 51, and Walker, 39. Three shotguns were found in the van.

UHPD also arrested a third occupant of the van, but released him later because of lack of evidence.

Wigtil said a fourth arrest was made when UHPD Officer Chris Hendricks saw Tucker, 27, leave the truck.

When Hendricks looked into the pickup, Wigtil said, he saw a propped up shotgun. Tucker was then arrested.

A fifth man who remained outside the vehicles was not taken into custody.

Quebodeaux, Walker and Tucker have been released from the Harris County Jail on $2,000 bail each.

Lee was appearing on KUHT's "Created Equal? The Politics of Race," a broadcast town meeting.

Patricia Torres Burd, the producer-director of the program, said she was not aware arrests were made until the show was nearing its end.

"The first thing that crossed my mind was 'Thank God nothing happened in the parking lot,' " Burd said.

"I'm surprised Lee brought those men," Burd said. "I'm not surprised that they brought weapons."

Jeff Clarke, general manager of KUHT, said he also was not really surprised.

"The whole issue of race is going to bring out different viewpoints," Clarke said. "Theirs is certainly a different viewpoint."

Lee could not be reached for comment.

WRITERS BRING MODERN GERMANY TO CAMPUS IN CULTURAL EXCHANGE

The Germany many people know is the one that continues to wear the deep scar of the Holocaust or the one that produces Daimler-Benz autos and beer.

Five German writers are in Houston to share their Deutschland with American audiences. Hans-Christoph Buch, Katja Lange Muller, Bodo Morshauser, Yaak Karsunke and Reiner Gross have participated in readings with such UH Creative Writing Program faculty members as Rosellen Brown, Richard Howard, Cynthia Macdonald, Robert Phillips and Mary Robison this week.

As part of the Literarisches Colloquium, Berlin, a week-long literary exchange sponsored by the Goethe-Institute, the readings present the writers with an opportunity to share experiences, thoughts about their cultures and their literary works.

One of the concluding events scheduled is a 2:30 p.m. reading, which will be held in the third floor lounge of the Roy Cullen Building Friday. Titled "The Urban Topography of the Literary Experience in Houston," it includes the presentation of papers by Macdonald and Howard and appearances by the German authors.

The Goethe-Institute, located in Suite 100, 3120 Southwest Fwy., is the setting for a round-table discussion, which begins at 10 a.m. on Saturday.

German and American authors will speak along with Rice University Architecture Professor Elizabeth McKee and UH sociology Professor Bill Simon.

COUGARS OPEN CONFERENCE AGAINST JOE'S OPTION ATTACK

by Keith Rollins

and Jason Luther

The Cougars will be going into hostile territory for their 1992 SWC debut Saturday against Baylor in Waco.

Houston (2-2) will be coming off two weeks of rest against a Bear team that has already played six games.

Baylor brings a 3-3 record into the game, 2-1 in the conference. They lost to Texas Tech in Lubbock 36-17 three weeks ago, but trounced the merciless SMU Mustangs 49-7 at home the next week.

Last Saturday, they blasted Texas Christian 41-20 in Fort Worth, despite committing six turnovers.

The Cougars will open their conference schedule against the Bears for the second straight year. Last season's opener resulted in Houston's third straight loss as the Cougars committed six turnovers in a 38-21 defeat in the Astrodome.

Offensively, Baylor looks much the same as last season.

J.J. Joe will control Baylor's elusive option attack. The speedy quarterback has shown flashes of brilliance at times, but he still lacks accuracy.

Joe is fifth in the nation in passing efficiency with 21.2 yards per completion, but has completed only 47 of 100 passes.

His main target is standout wide receiver Melvin Bonner. He has caught over half (24) of Joe's passes for 453 yards and seven touchdowns.

Cougar Coach John Jenkins said Bonner adds an added dimension to the Baylor option attack.

"Melvin has that knack of going up under control for the deep pass, coming down and keeping his balance and gaining a lot of yards after the catch," Jenkins said.

The Bears' biggest threat in the backfield is senior tailback David Mims.

Mims is climbing the Baylor career charts in several categories, including the all-time rushing list. He needs to add only 51 yards to his career total of 1,871 to move into fourth place.

Defensively, the Bears have lost much of the experience of last season as they rely on youth and speed.

Senior linebacker Le'Shai Matson remains a much needed anchor in the young defense. The All-SWC player leads the Bears in tackles with 57, six of those for 17 yards in loss.

Houston will have to be especially tough on defense when the Bears penetrate the 20-yard line. Baylor has scored 19 times out of 22 after moving into the red zone.

Defensive Coordinator Melvin Robertson's "Mad Dog" Defense did not allow a point in their last game against USL. The Cajuns' only points came after their recovery of Donald Douglas' fumble in the endzone.

Apart from the Michigan loss, the Cougar defense has looked strong all season. They gave up only 13 points to Illinois, who beat 21st-ranked Ohio State last week.

Tackles Steve Clarke and Stephen Dixon have combined for nine sacks for 82 yards in losses, while linebackers Ryan McCoy and Eric Blount have fulfilled their preseason promise.

Free safety Thomas McGuaghey and strong safety Tyrone Davis have played surprisingly well in those positions, considering their lack of experience coming into the season.

On offense, Jenkins has said he will go with sophomore Jimmy Klingler as the starting quarterback.

Klingler will look to connect with Sherman Smith and a healthier Freddie Gilbert. With a good game, Smith can take over the top spot in national receiving.

FLEET OF FEET PAY TRIBUTE TO BALLET MASTER

by Manuel Esparza

Where would ballet be without George Balanchine?

The modern master choreographer has gifted the world with some of ballet's most beautiful scenes. In commemoration, the Society for the Performing Arts is presenting the Houston premiere of <i>Tribute To Balanchine<p> as performed by the New York City Ballet's principal dancers.

To best show the diversity of Balanchine's neoclassicism, the selections are representative of different substyles in his universe. Chronologically presented are excerpts from <i>Apollo, Agon, Swan Lake, Stars And Stripes<P> and <i>Who Cares.

Apollo<p>, a collaboration with Igor Stravinsky, was written in 1928, and established Balanchine as a rising master of the arts. The work shows the god Apollo being visited by three of the Muses, each vying for his attention.

It is part of a triad of works that includes <i>Agon<p>. These were written in the novel style of composing the ballet simultaneously with the creation of the music.

The highlight will come in the middle of the show when the troupe performs the Act II <i>pas de deux<p> from <i>Swan Lake<p>. The choreography is from an earlier version.

On a four-week tour of the United States and Mexico City, the New York City Ballet is sending its best talent on the road with the company's principals. Dancer Melissa Podcasy joins the company's best soloists for the tour.

Balanchine asked Heather Watts to join the company when she was only 17. Twenty-two years later, having worked her way up the troupe's hierarchy, not only is she one of the main dancers, she is a brilliant executer of the Balanchine repertory.

Texas-born Robert LaFosse is also on the tour. He has enjoyed the leads in many classical ballets. LaFrosse, a Tony nominee, has also appeared in several Broadway productions. Unfortunately, those attending the Saturday night show will not see him.

Balanchine (1904-1983) changed the way ballet is presented. His vision of making dance the subordinate story burst the dikes of convention, producing a creative floodplain that has irrigated the minds of other choreographers and is still yielding crops of diverse works and interpretations.

Borne in St. Petersberg, Russia, Balanchine emigrated to the United States in 1933. A wealthy arts patron saw Balanchine's work and help him set up the School of American Ballet.

Balanchine later led the New York City Ballet as artistic director from its inception in 1948 until his death. He hand molded most of the works (alone or in collaboration) the company currently performs.

Balanchine also choreographed musicals, operas and films. His legacy of 465 works runs the spectrum of minor works to individually-tailored pieces to epic shows. He has worked with such luminaries as George Gershwin and Igor Stravinsky.

Balanchine did not leave his mark on the American ballet scene -- he forged it.

Performances start tonight at 7:30 p.m. and Saturday at 8 p.m. at Jones Hall. Student rush tickets cost $10 - $45 and are available with school ID.

VOLLEYBALL NOTEBOOK

Down, but certainly not out, the Lady Cougars move on to a non-conference game against Southwest Texas State tonight. Try as they may, the Lady Netters suffered a disappointing loss Wednesday night to the Texas Longhorns.

Houston dropped its first SWC match and now stands at 4-1 in the conference, 10-7 overall.

Head Volleyball Coach Bill Walton had some insight on the loss.

"It was a big match and we weren't very loose; this caused us to make some errors. By the third match, we had gotten the tension out, but it wasn't enough."

Texas capitalized on Houston's errors and didn't make many mistakes of their own.

The Cougars, however, can chalk this first game up against Texas as an experience that will prepare the team for revenge. Houston and Texas lock horns again in November at Hofheinz.

The Lady Cougars were wiped out their first game 0-15 and their second game 3-15. Not one to give up, the netters found their groove in the third game. Unfortunately, it was too little, too late and they lost 14-16.

EQUALITY: MEN, WOMEN, HAVE LONG WAY TO GO

by Tamra Gay

"We've come a long way, baby," or so claimed a professor visiting from New York Monday.

"In the classical Greek society, a father ruled his daughter until she married and then her husband ruled her," Susan Cole said. Her lecture, titled "Feminism and the Classics," was held in the library's Honors Lounge.

"Her husband could divorce her by simply saying, 'I send you away,' but she could not divorce him," she added.

In famous Greek plays and comedies, women were negatively portrayed with animal imagery. Men wrote the plays and were the actors for both the male and female roles.

Cole discussed the texts of traditional Greek and Roman works and their portrayal of women. She talked of her interest in philology, which is the study of words or language.

"There are many women that history has forgotten," Cole said. The women writers and suppressed over-achievers need to be rediscovered, she said.

Cole also discussed the progress of women in education during the last few decades.

She said it was the norm to study and translate classics, but women were rarely asked to be interpreters. This has changed since the 1960s, she said.

"In 1972, the first Conference on Women in Antiquity was held in Buffalo, New York," she said, "and it was also the year the first affirmative-action laws mandated women in college faculties." And by 1975, women were granted approximately one-third of all Ph.D.s, Cole said.

"In 1992, even though one-half of the Ph.D.s were granted to women and women now manage to obtain tenure, there is still turbulence in the field."

There was a successful tenure lawsuit brought by a woman in Cincinnati, Cole said. "She kept her job, received back-pay and obtained tenure."

An unsuccessful tenure lawsuit, however, was brought by a woman at the University of Texas-Austin, she said. The woman went on to a successful career elsewhere, Cole said.

Cole is a classicist and ancient historian. She received her B.A. and a Ph.D. in 1975 from the University of Minnesota. It was there, in a Latin class, she met John D. Bernard, now a UH English professor, with whom she remains friends.

Bernard said it would be hard to forget Cole, considering she was unable to take the Latin final exam because she was having her baby. Cole said she believed she had the baby during the same hour the final was scheduled.

Cole was a professor at the University of Illinois at Chicago for 16 years and now teaches in the Department of Classics at State University of New York in Buffalo.

The lecture was co-sponsored by the Women's Studies program and the Honors Program.

TOWN MEETING OFFERS SOLUTIONS TO RACISM

by Erin Balch

Houston mayor, local community leaders, educators and students discussed their experiences with racism in the eighth of KUHT-TV's Town Hall meeting series aired live on Channel 8 Wednesday night.

Hosted by Don Kobos and Jamie O'Roark, the two-hour meeting, titled "Created Equal? The Politics of Race," maintained a calm and rational dialogue. But after an hour of intellectualizing on related issues, discussion of racism finally took form.

When asked about affirmative action, Mayor Bob Lanier responded, "I would like to live in a society where we didn't need (it), where we judged each person as a person based on who he or she is."

Discussion became more lively when Texas Ku Klux Klan Grand Dragon Charles Lee said he believed blacks were primarily responsible for the violence in our streets and we needed to "get back to the basics -- racial separation."

After discussing the role of the media, affirmative action and political redistricting some audience members were ready to move on.

"First of all, Channel 8 should not advertise prime ribs if they're going to serve the people baloney," said Rev. Robert Mohammed of the Nation of Islam, criticizing the station for not dealing with the real issues.

"Let's deal with the issue of race... everyone is not created equal but everyone is created equally. That means that your mother and father got together the same way that my mother and father got together and we both came through the womb of a woman," he said.

"Let's not pretend that there aren't differences. There is not a person in this room who doesn't have prejudice and if they say they don't, then they're lying," he added.

Lanier suggested to Kobos a meeting on racism would be better served if hosted by a member from the minority community.

Only a few vague solutions to racism surfaced from the meeting, but many speakers mentioned the power of education in eliminating the problem.

"Not much is said about the history of Asian-Americans in the textbooks. The white power structure controls the textbooks and that is how our children learn about history," said Martha Wong of Houston Community College.

"When we can begin to teach in the public schools about each culture then we will be able to understand each other and begin to work with each other," she said.

Tony Dreannan, a high school student who has written a play on racism, agreed we need to teach cultural diversity in the classroom.

UH-Downtown Counseling and Testing Director Bravada Garrett-Akinsanya said, "We should enjoy and relish in the fact that there is diversity.

"We are like a rainbow of flowers and if each American begins to see us like that then the healing will begin."