TENURE NOT COMMONPLACE FOR FEMALE PROFESSORS

by Rachel Gewirtz

Only 12 percent of UH's tenured professors are women.

According to UH's fall 1991 report to the federal government, 88 percent of the tenured professors are men. The report accounts for 513 male UH teachers -- 303 tenured professors and 210 tenured associate professors.

In comparison, female representation stands at 31 tenured professors and 50 tenured associate professors, states the report.

"When I first got here in 1965, there were only 14 tenured women, full professors," Communications Professor Donna Fox said. "Even with this number doubling in the past 27 years the problem has not been solved."

"It is important for women to be tenured," Director of Women's Studies Cynthia Freeland said.

"Tenured professors help to form the curriculum and determine who will be hired. With more female professors there may be less sexual harassment, and there would be good role models for women -- both faculty and students," she said.

Some women in the field believe the number of tenured women at UH is low because they are simply not given the same chances to succeed as men. "We are in a fairly hostile environment. Academics is a man's game that women are not taught the rules to," Fox said.

"They specifically overload women with more committees than they can handle. You can't do that to a young professor who is trying to do research, publish material and keep a good teaching record," she added.

Fox, who is the only female, tenured, full professor in the School of Communication, also believes that salary difference is one reason why women do not stay at the university and get tenured. "Female, full professors at this university make between $5,000 to $10,000 less than their male counterparts."

"Many women feel they can make more money in the field or at another university. They don't feel it's worth it to stay here," Fox said.

Building better programs that will attract more women faculty may help the problem.

"The women's studies program has helped to recruit better women faculty. It shows a certain kind of campus involvement. The program also offers the support that younger faculty need to get tenure," said Freeland, who is also a tenured philosophy professor.

Fox said one way of changing the statistics of tenured women at UH is to provide more support for their work. "We need a less hostile environment. A young faculty member needs a mentor to teach her the rules and support her work.

"Men tend to only help themselves. We have to stop depending on them and be our own mentors," she said.

"This is a man's game in a man's place. We are living in a tough, hard city with a veneer of southern comfort. We are not good ole boys, we get very little help in terms of mentoring. We need to be our own supporters," Fox said.

UH's shortage is not unique. According to a report by the Department of Academic Affairs at the University of Texas, women make up 26 percent of their 2,341 tenured professors. The report states the university has 1,727 tenured male professor compared to 614 tenured female professors.

*******************************************************

ALCOHOLIC PARENTS DISTRESS YOUNG KIDS

by Heather Wolk

Living in an alcoholic family can cause scars for life, said a UH psychologist at the UC Tuesday.

In honor of Alcohol Awareness Week, Counseling and Testing Services sponsored an "Alcohol and the Family," conference to discuss the effects of alcoholism in families.

Counseling and Testing Psychologist Leonard Bohanon said children are affected the most by alcoholic parents. The biggest problem is the instability it creates, he said.

"Alcoholics are completely unpredictable and unstable. The child never knows who will be home after school -- the intoxicated parent or the sober parent -- or no one at all," Bohanon said.

Because this environment can be frightening for children, they tend to develop hyper-sensitivity and become more aware of others' emotions, Bohanon said.

"Being egocentric, as children are, they think that the chaos in the house revolves around them and that it is because of them. When children of alcoholics see someone upset, the first thing they think is, 'What did I do?'" Bohanon said.

According to Bahanon, children from alcoholic families develop two problematic coping skills: They may continue the cycle by becoming alcoholics themselves or seek out partners who are alcoholics.

"Although we think that they would do just the opposite, there is a magnetism there that cannot be explained," Bohanon said.

Bohonan places children of alcoholics into one of three categories:

1. The Hero Child -- The overachiever. This child thinks that if only he were a better kid, dad would stop drinking.

2. The Scapegoat -- The troublemaker. This child is driven by his anger to act worse than the alcoholic parent. He wants to push loved ones away.

3. The Lost Child -- The silent one. This child is shy and withdrawn, hiding from the world.

Bohanon said these three types of children all have extremely low self-esteem and a lack of identity.

Spouses typically try to deal with an alcoholic family member by making excuses, loaning money or even purchasing alcohol for their loved one. Spouses think they are facilitating the problem, Bohanon said, but they are actually supporting the addiction.

"This doesn't go on long before some resentment starts to build up," Bohanon said. "But they feel like they should be doing something."

Bohanon said we will never be an alcohol-free society. "That's obvious. We've tried it. Prohibition failed miserably," he said. "Alcohol is the most dangerous social drug we have and the most abused."

ELECTRICAL DORM FIRE RESULT OF CARELESSNESS

by Marva Premate

"Every time I see the lights come on and hear the loud, piercing alarm, I wonder if I'm going to still be alive in 10 minutes," said Houston fire fighter Alan Johnstone, as he took off his burnt fire-gear and slung it in the back of his bright red Chevrolet pick-up truck.

Johnstone, 23, has been with HFD for three years and has seen many casualties and burnt disfigured bodies in his career.

According to <i>Fire and You<p>, every year in America approximately 12,000 people die from preventable fires.

A fellow Houston fire fighter and friend of Johnstone, James Morrison, arrives at the fire station and stops long enough to spray an ointment on his neck which was burned earlier this week in a fire.

Morrison and his partner just returned from an electrical fire in the UH residence halls and both were disgusted at two students' carelessness. The students were doing an experiment involving electricity, Morrison said. They had plugged 10 electrical cords into one outlet, he added.

"Students should really think about what a fire could do to dorm rooms before they plug in an extension cord. Stupidity has been known to kill many innocent victims," Morrison said.

"When I'm driving to the fire-station, I wonder if today I'm going to be at a fire and hear faint screams that lead me to a pile of bubbled and peeled off skin that looks as if it has been poured over bones. You never forget such a sight," Johnstone said.

Johnstone at 5 feet 11 inches and weighing 195 lbs looks as if he is made out of steel. With sweat gleaming from his forehead and his shirt soaked through, he unveils his sensitive interior as he remembers seeing death face to face.

"The human spirit can only survive so much. I can't count the many times I've pulled babies, children and adults out of fires who didn't escape in time. I sit on the edge of the fire truck and can't help but cry. I feel numb for weeks," Johnstone said.

He takes a deep breath, clears his throat and quickly changes the subject to fire prevention. "If people would just become educated in fire prevention. It's so easy to learn. I've gone to many schools to teach the use of a fire extinguisher and to warn children of the dangers of playing with matches," Johnstone said.

The agony of seeing numerous deaths eventually takes its toll on many fire fighters. It leaves them mentally dead because the pain felt is sometimes too much to bare, Johnstone added.

"Johnstone is more skittish and sensitive than other fire fighters. I'm more hardened. Pulling dead people out from fires doesn't bother me. I'm used to it," Morrison said.

"Although, it does bother me when I see young girls from UH that have been raped on campus. I think of my fiance in Dallas and hope that never happens to her," Morrison said.

"My shift, at Station 25, makes about 10 runs to UH a month. Most fires that occur at UH are preventable. Most calls to UH are automatic alarms or just students being careless," Morrison said.

Fire Station 25, located at the intersection of Scott and Rosewood streets, will be the first to respond to any fire fighting or ambulance needs at UH.

Another Houston fire fighter and part of the Emergency Medical Team, Victor Cuevas, said, "Many calls to UH are for students playing sports or for people at the health center who need medical attention. UH seems to have a good fire system. Since it's a large institution, I'm really surprised we don't make more calls there."

Fire stations responsible for emergency box alarms at UH include stations 25, 40 and 18.

If the fire is severe, response for a two-alarm fire at UH would include those mentioned above and stations 7, 8, 17 and 46.

CON-MAN MURPHY RETURNS IN GENTLEMAN, COP III

by Sally Pouncy

Eddie Murphy always portrays con-artists.

His character in the <i>Beverly Hills Cop<p> movies, Axel Foley, was a cop/con artist. <i>48 Hours<p> and its sequel had Murphy playing an ex-con gone straight. And, Murphy's soon-to-be-released movie, <i>The Distinguished Gentleman<p>, continues to let him put his chameleon talents to work as a con-man.

<i>The Distinguished Gentleman <p>, due for release around Christmas, is about a con-artist who gets himself elected to the only place in the country where taking money from innocent people is legal. Of course it's the Congress.

Murphy needs a new mega-hit to put him back on top in the box office, as <i>Boomerang<p> albeit a good movie, didn't garner the star much in light of his past track record.

<i>Beverly Hills Cop II<p> was the biggest box-office money maker of 1987, then it broke records in video rentals. After <i>BHC II<p> and <i>Coming to America<p>, Murphy pretty much faded out of the lime light.

However, he was still hard at work producing, directing, writing and starring in his own productions. Murphy admitted he made a mistake trying to do all those things at once in a film. He said he was trying to do everything he saw everyone else doing.

"Everybody else starts producing, writing, directing and starring in movies, so you go 'I guess I'll try that,' but I'm doing that on the 'I guess I should try' instead of the 'I feel inspired to do that' idea", said Murphy in a recent interview.

"I did it (producing, directing, etc.) for the wrong reasons ... to prove a point or to show someone this or somebody that rather than, 'I like this project and I'm going to do this.' It was too much to take on at the same time," Murphy said.

When asked if he would direct again Murphy replied with a enthusiastic, yes. "Absolutely, if it was something I was not acting in, at least not in a major part," Murphy said.

Murphy has an exclusive contract with Paramount Pictures which only allows him to make one movie outside its studio.

<i>The Distinguished Gentleman<p> is a Disney/Hollywood Pictures production.

Murphy said he made the movie because he was ready to work again and did not like anything Paramount had to offer him. "They (Disney/Hollywood Pictures) had the right project," Murphy said.

"After I'd done <i>Harlem Nights<p> and <i>Another 48 Hours<p>, I was like, 'Captain she's breaking up, we're going down, down!" said Murphy, impersonating Scotty from Star Trek.

Even though he has had mottled luck in the past with his own projects, Murphy insists he would direct again if he did not have a major acting role in the movie. He is currently writing a movie about a vampire in Brooklyn, in which he admitted he will have two small parts. "I'm playing two parts with heavy makeup, like I did in <i>Coming to America<p>.

"I play an old man who rents his apartment to a vampire. I also play an old lady, the one in the window with the huge titties that lives across the street and sees everything that goes on," Murphy said.

He's thinking about directing it, but said it would depend on what happens. He said he's doing <i>Beverly Hills Cop III<p> in January.

That's right Axle Foley fans, the smart-mouthed cop from Detroit is going back to the Golden State for another adventure.

Murphy said the movie will be "just like <i>Lethal Weapon<p>, or <i>Die Hard<p> or any Arnold Schwarzenegger <i>Terminator<p> movie.

"It's a roller-coaster-ride movie that has nothing to do with anything except, 'I just want to go to the movie and have a good time.' "

He justified the making of another sequel with "You need films like that. An artist should always have a movie like that he can go to. He should always have a movie that the audience will identify with the character.

"You just go and deliver whenever you give them what they want. Because you know what they want already. Usually when you do a movie you are going into it blind. With a sequel, you already know what the audience wants."

When asked if <i>BCH III<p> would be like <i>T2<p> and have less violence and a lower body count, Murphy said, "Action!" in a manner indicating "case closed."

Until <i>BHC III<p> is released, Murphy fans will have to make do with <i>The Distinguished Gentleman.<p>.

Murphy said he was relaxed while filming <i>Gentleman<p> and said it shows on screen.

"The movie was the first time in a long time that I had the opportunity to just show up and be an actor. So that is why I look like I am having fun, because it was stress-free," Murphy said.

Audiences will notice Murphy's performance in <i>Gentleman <p> as being back to the the same old character he used to be and they will enjoy it.

UPWARD BOUND STUDENTS INFILTRATE MEXICO CITY

by Amey Mazurek

Not too many of the Mexican-American high school kids on a plane headed for the Mexico City airport had flown more than once, if at all. They asked hypothetical questions such as, "What would happen if an engine fell off?"

"Are there life preservers under the seats?" asked one fellow. He reached underneath the seat to see if his suspicions about flying over the Gulf were confirmed.

The eight students are part of UH's Upward Bound program. Accompanied by three UH students in the program, they flew to Mexico City to display their murals in the Encuentro Internacional de Arte Popular Revolucionario del C.L.E.T.A. (a Spanish acronym for the Free Center for Experimental Theatre and Art).

Upward Bound, located in the Student Service Center, helps financially disadvantaged Mexican-American students achieve their academic aspirations. While seniors in high school, they enroll in a pilot program and take summer classes at UH.

If they maintain at least a C average, they qualify for federal loans and grants to help pay for tuition.

The three UH students on the trip, Hermena Martinez, Perla Armendariz and Jesus Gonzalez, are freshmen with undeclared majors.

Chris Lopez, director of UB, said the trip was a learning experience. According to Lopez, the UH bureaucracy hesitated on the trip because of the nature of La Resistencia, a radical, leftist movement.

Jerry Osborne, UH director of Counseling and Testing Services, "ran offense and defense," putting his career on the line to allow UB to travel to Mexico City, Lopez said.

"Creating conscious minds is a dangerous thing," he said. "You may learn enough to break into politics and change things."

The bold, Mexican folk-art-style acrylic murals to be used for the conference were on canvas panels supported by a teepee of steel poles about eight feet high. The murals were contributed by students and several staff members.

After landing safely in Mexico City on Oct. 1, the rest of the night was spent in rest and preparation at Hotel Catedral, which was a block from Mexico City Square and the Presidential Palace.

The next day the UB students travelled by Metro, the rather efficient and clean Mexico City subway, to Chapultepec. In the Casa Del Lago auditorium, they met with at least 25 other groups from all over the world, including parts of Central and South America, Spain, Italy, Cuba and France.

Meanwhile, Hector Gonzalez, one of the UB staff who helped design the teepee, was having trouble getting the poles out of Customs Service. According to Lilia Trevino, assistant director of UB and the main coordinator of the Mexico trip, customs gave no justification for charging $60 to release the poles.

Since the poles were not forthcoming, the students decided to put the murals up around other murals contributed by other groups.

After the murals were up, the students and ethnic representatives from the conference gathered about a quarter mile away from Casa Del Lago to march in protest against imperialism and declare each nationality's presence.

As the group of about 150 waited to start, a troop of olive-clad soldiers jogged by. The group answered the sound-offs of the soldiers with their own anti-military chants.

A large cloth banner bearing the slogan "500 Anos de Lucha Y Resistencia" and a large black-filled graphic of the Americas in the Western Hemisphere headed the march.

Once the march was under way, the people at the head of the line ran back and forth over the marchers with the banner held high over their heads. "Here it comes again!" they'd shout, and the marchers would crouch down, whistling, whooping and waving, as the banner passed over them.

Performances had already started when the march reached the Casa Del Lago. Two women with classical guitars sang about their support for La Resistencia. Three men clad in black bodysuits dedicated themselves to "Libertod."

Behind the performers, a rock band provided the soundtrack. The band leader/keyboardist wore a white face, black eyeliner and dark hair with an orange patch on one side.

By the time the UB group arrived back in Mexico City, the streets were full of people. Curious onlookers gathered in the balconies even though pollution choked the air.

Hundreds of demonstrators marched several blocks ahead of the group toward Mexico City Square. The group ran to join them, noticing that almost all the buildings had various Resistencia slogans spray painted on them. One store owner already had his employees scrubbing his vandalized storefront.

Thousands of people were gathered in Mexico City Square, protesting white European control of the government and the economy, by waving banners and making speeches toward the government palace.

After making their way to the stage in the center of the protest, the group decided to go back to Hotel Catedral. The police surrounded the demonstrations. No one had enough stake in La Resistencia to put up with even the slightest threat of going to jail. After touring the markets next to the demonstrations in Mexico City Square, the group met again at the hotel to go to dinner in the Plaza.

Sunday, the group awoke early and headed out to Xochimilco, where miles of ancient Aztec canals beckon Mexican tourists to spend a leisurely afternoon on canal boats -- listening to floating mariachis and purchasing fresh cooked food from makeshift floating kitchens.

After Xochimilco, the group went back to Chapultepec for more performances and a few speeches, including one by Enriques Cisneros, who founded the Encuentro Internacional. C.L.E.T.A. contributors (including UB) ate spicy soup, fried potato-vegetable patties and fruit-sweetened yogurt.

At about 5:30 p.m., C.L.E.T.A. met for several hours. As darkness and coldness descended on the group, Cisneros updated everyone on immediate future activities.

Another member of C.L.E.T.A. remarked that since UB was the only group staying in a hotel, rather than in someone's house, they were separated spiritually from the rest of La Resistencia. Trevino explained that since UB students were mostly high school age, their parents felt they were safer together in a hotel.

She also urged UB students to interact with the other C.L.E.T.A. members.

Epilogue: According to Hector Gonzalez, there seemed to be a split in the group between the louder kids and the less outspoken, who also seemed to be more sympathetic with the goals of La Resistencia. "This is one of the most radical conferences I've been in," Gonzalez said, referring to the Encuentro Internacional.

About five students and Lopez and Gonzalez, worked on new murals until 4 a.m. at a school about seven blocks from the hotel. It was their last day in Mexico.

FAST TIMES

DOUGLAS SEEKS TO SHED IMAGE OF FLEET-FOOTED SCRAMBLER

by Jason Luther

In football, as in most every sport, speed is one of the greatest gifts an athlete can possess.

Junior quarterback Donald Douglas, however, sees his speed as just another hurdle between him and his dream -- the dream of being a star quarterback.

All his life people have praised Douglas for his tremendous athletic ability. But Douglas said because of his ability, coaches have always wanted to convert him to receiver or defense.

"Ever since I was in high school, I've always had to prove that I can throw," Douglas said. "I get upset when I look in the paper and the only thing I read is that I'm an athlete and I can scramble.

"I can throw and I can read defenses. I don't want to be known as just as a scrambler."

Douglas wears a watch from the 1989 Freedom Bowl that serves as a reminder of what could have been.

Douglas committed to Houston during his senior year at Liberty High School in Liberty, Texas. However, when the Cougars were put on probation in 1989 for violating NCAA regulations, Douglas opted to play at Florida.

As a true freshman, Douglas took over for injured Gators starter Kyle Morris, starting the final four games against Auburn, Georgia, Kentucky and Florida State and, ultimately, the Freedom Bowl game against Washington State.

Out of those five games, Florida's only win came against Kentucky.

Douglas finished the year third in team rushing with 226 yards on 53 carries.

Emmit Smith, who Douglas said was like his big brother on the team, was Florida's top rusher that year. Douglas said Smith, who now plays for the Dallas Cowboys, was his main reason for choosing the Gators.

"He was the one showing me around," Douglas said. "He really made me feel good and I had fun."

Douglas entered the Gators' 1990 spring practice as the number one quarterback -- in front of four other scholarship quarterbacks including current Heisman Trophy candidate Shane Matthews.

Early that spring, however, Douglas' fortune took a turn for the worse. Florida Coach Steve Spurrier wanted to convert Douglas to receiver.

"Coach Spurrier called me into his office and said, 'How would you like to change to wide receiver?' "

"I was thinking, 'Oh, God, not again,' " Douglas said. "I told him I wanted to be quarterback, not a receiver."

Douglas said Spurrier abandoned the idea at the time, and told him he wanted to rotate the five quarterbacks in practice.

"We went through, and everybody took their turn," Douglas said. "I went from one to five just like that. He never would rotate me back up."

Douglas said Spurrier called him back into his office and told him he would be a receiver.

"I told him then that I wouldn't be back in practice."

But Douglas never really even wanted to go to Florida. During high school, he was more interested in the Southwest Conference schools.

Seeing the success that Andre Ware was having at Houston under Coach Jack Pardee influenced him to commit to the Cougars.

Douglas had shown early interest in signing with Texas, however, he was hearing the same old story from the Longhorns.

"I was really interested in going to Texas, but the coaches were telling me they wanted me to play defense," Douglas said.

"They wanted me, but not as a quarterback. I really felt like they weren't going to give me a chance."

John Jenkins, who was the Cougars' offensive coordinator at the time, was recruiting Douglas solely as a quarterback. Jenkins was interested in the extra dimension Douglas' speed would lend the "Run-and-Shoot" and he went beyond usual convention to sway Douglas.

Jenkins called Douglas from the locker room at halftime of Houston's 1988 game against Texas after the Cougars had posted a 35-3 first half lead.

"I'm sitting at home watching the game on TV with my mom and my brother and the phone rings right after halftime. I picked up the phone and Jenkins said, 'Hey hoss, are you watching the game?' "I said, 'yeah,' and he said, 'What do you think about that?' "

"I said, 'You think you can put 60 on the board?' "

"He said, '60 huh? I'll tell you what, you watch this. I'll call you back after the game.' "

Douglas said Jenkins called back not more than 15 minutes after Houston's 66-15 win and said, "Hey hoss, is that good enough for you?"

Jenkins concurred.

"There's a phone booth right as you enter the field from the visitor's dressing room," Jenkins said. "With the score at 35-3, it wasn't like we needed to go through an unusual amount of continued adjustments.

"He was laid back, having a good casual afternoon watching the game, so I called at a good time."

So when Spurrier told Douglas he would not be quarterback, the choice was simple. The Gators released Douglas and he headed back to Texas with high expectations.

When David Klingler was injured last year, Douglas appeared to emerge as the front-runner for this year's starting quarterback.

In five games last season, Douglas completed 37 passes on 59 attempts for 520 yards and five touchdowns. He was the SWC's highest rated quarterback.

Douglas' 1991 results only increased his expectations.

"Coming into this season, I wanted to be the number one guy," Douglas said. "I wanted to win every game that I started. I wanted to be a leader and a role model.

"I wanted to win the Heisman because my friend Andre (Ware) won it."

However, things once again turned out contrary to Douglas' plans.

Jenkins decided early in the season to rotate Douglas with Sophomore Jimmy Klingler in an attempt to thwart opposing defenses.

Neither quarterback was particularly pleased with the arrangement early on. However, the two have learned to deal with it and even appear to have formed a friendship.

Douglas said initially he was bitter about the decision and it was showing in his play.

"I was starting to mess up in practice," Douglas said. "I had to go back and re-establish my relationship with God and put the whole thing in his hands."

Douglas said the decision greatly improved his attitude.

"You have to put your ego aside when the time comes to be ready to play. I would like to stay in, but if I'm pulled out I won't get mad or anything like that."

Douglas has one more year of eligibility after this season, one more shot at his dream. His role model is Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Randall Cunningham, because of his combination of a strong arm and speed.

Next season, when the scouts start coming around, however, Douglas will no doubt be prepared for the question, "Hey, would you be interested in playing defense?"

COUGAR CLIPS

-- Injury report: Both Cougar starting safeties were injured playing the Baylor Bears Saturday. Strong safety Tyrone Davis has an injured knee and free safety Thomas McGughey suffered an injured shoulder. Both were injured very early in the game. Said Houston Coach John Jenkins: "It was like Picket's charge at Gettysburg when the Confederate troops charged up-field against cannon fire."

Center Kevin Bleier also injured his knee against the Bears. Davis is out for the season, and Bleier will be out for at least three weeks.

McGaughey's bruised shoulder is improving, and he is expected to play Saturday.

Freshman Gerome Williams is expected to fill in at the safety position while senior John Morris will fill in at center.

Punt returner Jason McDonald is also doubtful for the Texas game.

Superback Lamar Smith injured his shoulder against Baylor, but Head Trainer Tom Wilson said Smith should be ready by the end of the week.

-- Jenkins said the play of Lamar Smith at superback continues to impress him, but he was not impressed at how long it took Smith to clear admissions. "I was a little irritated because he finished his work a week and a half before he was certified," Jenkins said. "We have fax machines and telephones, but you'd think we were travelling by Pony Express the way that thing moved along."

-- The starting time for Saturday's game was moved up to 12 p.m. because it will be broadcast by Raycom. This marks the fourth time this season a Cougar game has been televised.

-- Houston has won four of its last five games against the Longhorns.

-- There will be a bus to take Cougar fans from Houston to Austin on Saturday. The trip is free, but on a first-come, first-serve basis. Those interested can call Mitch Rodes at 743-5220.

-- The Cougars' next home game is against TCU on Halloween at 4 p.m. It's Homecoming and, believe it or not, tickets are still available. For ticket information, call 743-9444.