REGENTS TALK RESHAPING, EXTEND CAMPUS PROPERTY

by Meagan McGovern

With the reshaping of UH in the forefront of their actions, Board of Regents members approved a new five-year plan at their Wednesday meeting. They also approved a paid leave of absence for an indicted dean, bought the Star of Hope mission and approved a reorganization of a division within the university.

UH President James Pickering said, "The first stages of the reshaping process are now underway. And already the efforts, work and thoughts of hundreds of individuals in the university -- in every unit and at every level -- are engaged in this process."

As part of the reshaping process, the board approved the recent reorganization of the division of Administration and Finance. The division "has been restructured to become more responsive to the needs of the academic colleges and other divisions, and to improve overall productivity of the division," stated the Regents' agenda.

The reshaping of the university was the underlying theme of many actions taken by the board. The board approved a campus development plan which takes a comprehensive look at the future of UH and is a first look at what types of changes the reshaping may encompass.

"In many ways, what we are building is a new type of university," said Pickering. "Our new university will be characterized by its ability to define its mission within an ever-changing society."

The five-year plan is a comprehensive survey including planned land acquisitions, scheduled maintenance and demolition projects, and new construction.

The new athletic facility, funded by UH alumnus and regent John Moores as part of his $51 million gift to UH last year, was the biggest new construction planned. Other construction includes a five-story library addition, more student housing and a new music building.

One decision of the board was in direct contrast to the atmosphere of severe budget restraint brought about by limited state funding. Joseph Cioch, the former dean of the College of Hotel and Restaurant Management, will continue to receive $98,633 a year while on leave of absence. He was returned to faculty status after being indicted for charges of felony theft. The personnel recommendations of the board list his leave as being of "indefinite" length.

The board reported UH spent more than $2 million on acquiring new properties near University Oaks, including the Star of Hope mission on Calhoun Street. The mission was purchased for $1.88 million. Three other properties, all individual lots, are located on Wheeler Street.

At the same time, UH is planning to demolish a building which is part of UH-Downtown. The UH-Downtown center will be demolished because the vacant building costs $200,000 a year to maintain. "The building is ill-suited for classroom use and is beginning to exhibit structural problems," according to the executive summary of the meeting.

UH also entered a five-year contract with Barnes and Noble to operate the bookstore on campus. The current contract, which brings in an estimated $1.05 million to the school, expires on Dec. 31.

*******************************************************

OPEN-MIC FORUM DRAWS REPUBLICANS, DEMOCRATS, OTHER ISSUE-ORIENTED STUDENTS

by Kristine Fahrenholz

UH students voiced their opinions and raised questions about the upcoming election during an open-microphone forum Wednesday at the Satellite.

Equal rights for women and minorities in relation to their positions in the political arena were timely topics, as were environmental issues.

"I believe that women have come so far in this country that we do not need to be put back into the 1700s, where our rights were taken away," said Nicole Temple, a junior education major.

"When I cast my vote on Nov. 3 for Clinton, I am not voting for Hillary, although in the future I hope to vote for her," said Eve Tryals, a sophomore psychology major.

"Who were the blacks at the Republican National Convention? I didn't know them. I think they colored themselves and showed up at the convention," said Tryals, referring to the lack of minorities in the Republican administration.

"People who think Republicans are rich white males just can't see the whole picture," said Maria Schmitt, a senior management information systems major. Schmitt, chairman [sic] of UH's College Republicans, argued that the Bush administration has appointed more minorities than any other administration.

Tryals said, "Women should govern because men have just screwed it up, and a woman won't throw family values rhetoric at me."

Temple attacked Republicans, claiming that Pat Buchanan believes if you are a homosexual, you have no rights.

"We all know the environment is in the worst shape, and Clinton and Gore have a plan. He's not saying 'read my lips' and we'll figure it out," Tryals said, receiving tremendous applause.

The Bush administration supports cutting emissions, according to Schmitt.

Mitch Greene, a senior RTV major, said the election is not about the environment, third-world countries or anything else.

He claimed every student is facing a bleak future and their degrees are worth about 3 cents because there are no jobs. The federal government is ruining the future for the present to try to make up for the sins of the present and past, Greene said. "The country needs to be fixed first."

Bruce Ellis, a graduate student in theater, said the country needs the money back the Republicans took from it. He claimed that voodoo economics destroyed the nation's wealth because the United States went from being the largest creditor to the largest debtor.

Dan Scholl, a sophomore English major, believes that it is not the government's responsibility to give.

"Health care is not inalienable," he said. "It's something you have to work for through your own doings. The people gave government power and if you don't like what they're doing with it, take the power away form them."

After asking students for an explanation of enterprising zones and cafe agreements and receiving only a few replies, Jackie Carpenter, a postbaccalaureate, liberal arts student, claimed a problem exists when we don't know what to ask of the politicians.

Cherie Garrison, a junior in political science, said, "I'm really sick of the two-party system dividing America. Personal lashing-out is why America is getting nowhere today."

Ellis said, "The cultural war of tolerance and love is going to defeat the culture of bigotry and hatred."

The forum was was kept fairly civilized. According to Alex Farinas, coordinator of the event, approximately 750 attended. Farinas said he wanted to hear more about the economy.

The forum was sponsored by the Student Program Board. The next open-mike forum will be held after the election.

FACULTY PREPARING RESPONSE TO 'UNFAIR' SYSTEM PAY RAISES

by Veronica Guevara

At first, it sounds as if the subject of recent UH Faculty Senate meetings is gang violence because of all the talk about "taking hits" and "spreading pain."

But the senators are talking about reshaping, not gangs.

"We would like the pain to be spread. If we should have to take a hit, (the UH System) should have to take a hit," said Ernst Leiss, chair of the Faculty Affairs Committee, in his report to the faculty senate Wednesday.

Many faculty members are still rumbling about the pay raises the UH System awarded some of its employees in August.

At that time, Chancellor Alexander Schilt said the pay raises were reclassifications which were justified because of the UH System's budget problems.

Leiss presented his committee's "Resolution on UH System Reshaping," to be presented to Schilt. Leiss said the resolution was a response to Schilt's pledge to have the UH System take part in the reshaping effort.

The two-paragraph resolution was met with many questions and objections and was sent back to be re-written at the next committee meeting.

"It's so diffuse it's almost meaningless," Senator James Gibson said about the resolution.

Senator Ian Evans said because the UH System is creating a perception of unfairness, the wording of the resolution should be more blunt.

62 YEAR OLD MAN ARRESTED FOR ASSAULT IN LIBRARY

A 62-year-old man was arrested in M.D. Anderson Library and charged with Class C assault for placing his hand under a woman's buttocks as she sat down, said UHPD Lt. Brad Wigtil.

Watson Deerman, a visitor to UH, was arrested at 4:23 p.m. Monday.

Deerman's actions were discovered by a student who noticed he was behaving suspiciously.

"The reportee witnessed someone on the first floor putting his hand on the seat when females would sit down," Wigtil said. "He then notified UHPD of the suspicious behavior."

UHPD sent Officer Christopher Hendricks to the library in response to the call.

The reportee took Hendricks to where he witnessed the actions and afforded him an opportunity to witness Deerman's actions.

"Officer Hendricks' tactical approach was very discreet," Wigtil said. "He got in a position where he could watch without being noticed. He also did not draw attention to himself by having his radio on."

"Hendricks saw Deerman place his hand underneath a girl's buttocks," Wigtil said. "When she readjusted her seated position, he put his hand even further underneath her buttocks."

Hendricks approached the student and asked her if she realized his hand was underneath her buttocks.

After replying that she was unaware of Deerman's actions, she pressed charges.

However, Deerman's actions were not severe enough to be construed as public lewdness, Wigtil said.

Deerman has visited M.D. Anderson Library before, Wigtil said. "He was given a criminal trespassing warning in May (of this year) for a similar type of behavior," Wigtil said. "It was only meant to restrict him from the library for suspicious activity."

Because of the prior warning, Deerman was also charged with criminal trespassing, a Class B misdemeanor.

Deerman was transported to the Harris County Jail and was released yesterday after posting a $500 bond for the trespassing charge.

He was also issued a citation for the assault charge and is scheduled to appear in court on Oct. 27.

"I appreciate the reportee's willingness to give (UHPD) a call which allowed us to go over there and deal with this individual," Wigtil said. "When people call us, it enables the police department to deal with problems actively."

The complainant could not be reached for comment and has asked that, to maintain her privacy, her name not be released.

SOCIAL D. REACHES MUSICAL MATURITY

by Manuel Esparza

Neil Young asked his son what band he should take on his '91 tour. Zeke replied "Social D!" Social Distortion has been making noise for 13 years and is finally reaping the spoils that go to the conquerors.

Although a lifetime away from their humble beginnings in Downey, an L.A. neighborhood near Watts, the band members have never left their roots. John Maurer, the bassist, said the band has managed to sound the same without becoming boring. "Social D is like Hank Williams meets the Ramones," he said.

Mike Ness, Dennis Danell, and John Maurer grew up together in Downey. Maurer recalls those days with a mixture of fondness and frustration. On the one hand, it was a savage place -- one in which grown men would assault him for wearing peg-legged jeans, a white T-shirt and work shoes.

But it was also the place that spawned Social Distortion. He said, "I remember listening to the Stones on the radio. It was Top 40 then, and my older cousins and mother listened to it."

In the beginning, Maurer would go to parties and see the punk band play in garages. Later, he worked as a roadie for the band, often helping the then-manager by running errands. "I remember <i>Mommy's Little Monster<p>. I saw it go through the development and marketing stages."

Maurer got to play bass on Social D's second LP, <i>Prison Bound<p>, recorded on their own 13th Story label. As a small-budget effort, the band not only wrote, played and recorded the music, they also produced, engineered and promoted it.

Maurer said, "If we wanted an interview, we'd have to go out and set it up." He said signing with Epic has freed the band from that, letting them concentrate on their music. "Just the size of them (Epic) is really cool. We have thousands of people working for us now. Before it was five guys, a manager and a telephone.

"We started out as a punk garage band. We're older now. We don't sing songs about running from the cops, rebelling against mom and dad, or hiding out to drink beer. Now it's bigger stuff. Now we sing about killing our wives," he said, with a laugh, about their song "99 To Life." Getting serious again, Maurer said, though the music is still the same, it's the lyrical content that has matured.

Though a lot of people who don't know the band think they are a country outfit, the band did re-make "Ring Of Fire."

Said Maurer, "When the <i>Social Distortion<p> album came out, I worried about what my dad was going to say and do. I really respect his musical views. He was like, 'I like that Johnny Cash' song. I went 'PHEW! Okay, I'll leave it at that.' "

Does Maurer feel he's living under the shadow of Mike Ness? "Mike's the singer and for the most part the song writer and the lead guitarist. That's just the way it happened. In the past, Dennis and I did a lot of writing, and I got a song on the last album. Mike's writing just matured so much.

"Usually he'd come to practice and say, 'I'm working on this, but it's not quite there,' and we'd say, 'why don't you try this.' Now his song writing is so strong, we'd go, 'Hey that's great!' But I wouldn't be surprised if Dennis and I have songs on the next album.

"I don't feel we're in the shadow of Mike Ness. It takes a certain personality to get up there and sing. I'm the bass player. I like getting in the back and locking up with Chris (Reece, the drummer). It's just him and me."

BALL GOES TO AUSTIN

by Phillip Baeza

This weekend, the Sigma Nu fraternity will hold its third annual "Football Run" to Austin to benefit the Houston-area Ronald McDonald House.

Michael Stein, chairman of the run, received a football from UH Coach John Jenkins Wednesday afternoon on the practice field. The ball will be used in Saturday's game in Austin against the UT Longhorns.

Sigma Nu will take pledges per-mile for their runners, as well as one-time donations. They will also donate the money from this week's T-shirt sales.

The runners will leave Houston Thursday afternoon and will take turns carrying the football during the 164-mile journey to Austin. The ball will be presented to Coach Jenkins Saturday at UT's Memorial Stadium.

Sigma Nu expects to raise $2,000 from the run and T-shirt sales.