EXTENDED REGISTRATION HELPS STUDENTS, NOT UH

by Melissa Neeley

Students going through extended registration this fall cost UH more than $100,000, and most went through this process to avoid paying their fees, according to a report published by the Office of the Bursar.

Extended registration follows late registration. Of the 232 students who extended registered, only 49 were new admissions to UH, according to the same report.

"Historically, the people who have had to go through late or extended registration have had fee payment problems here in the past and are not new students. In the past, it was hard to track these people, but now the new (computer) system can tell us who they are," said Patricia Cavanaugh, associate director of Registration can Academic Records.

In the last few years, the number of student going through late registration has been increasing, causing added strain on academic advisors and other faculty, said Mario Lucchesi, director of Registration and Academic Records.

Only 21 of the 232 students had to go through extended registration because of administrative errors; 192 used that system because they had not paid at least the minimum amount due, the report said.

If the students had to go through extended registration because of an administrative error, they are put back into the system immediately after the error is discovered, Cavanaugh said.

Instructors who realize students are not on their class rosters should send them as soon as possible to the Registrar's Office in Room 108, E. Cullen, Cavanaugh said.

"Those students who came into the system after the twelfth class day are not on any of our official reports, even though we get tuition from those students, we would not get the formula generated amount which makes up our base budget," said Mary Rubright, executive director of Planning and Budget said.

If the students had registered by the twelfth class day, base funding for their student credit hours would have been reported for those students, Rubright said.

The colleges themselves are not losing money, but UH's funding from the state will not be met completely because those students were not registered until after the deadline, she said.

Some students who extended registered had previous balances and paid them off instead of their current fees Phyllis Bradley, the bursar, said.

If they wish to register for the current semester and have an outstanding balance, students must register and pay their fees in person to get the classes that they want, Bradley said.

The fee bills for students receiving scholarships or financial aid are automatically adjusted for them, Bradley said. Only seven students had to go through extended registration because they took loans out after Sept. 14.

"By law, they (students) have to make the minimum payment by the first day of class. I can listen to stories about why a payment was not met, but there has to be payment for them to be let in the system," Bradley said.

If students do make the minimum payment by the first day of class, yet fail to meet the rest of the payments, their grades are withheld until the rest of the amount is paid in full, Butler said. They will also be charged $50 and will be unable to get their transcripts until they pay the rest of what they owe, she said.

*******************************************************

DOCTOR SAYS MARLBORO KILLING CHILDREN

by Blanca Hernandez

The task of mocking major alcohol and tobacco companies' advertising slogans falls to Alan Blum, M.D., but he said the joke's on us.

"There is a major epidemic on college campuses and we are not taking it seriously because the jerks at Budweiser, Miller and Coors are laughing at us. They are focusing all of our energies on the drunk driver," said Blum Wednesday night, as he addressed students and faculty at the UC for National Collegiate Alcohol Awareness Week.

Elizabeth Conlisk, public affairs manager of the Miller Brewing Company, said Miller spends over $1 million dollars a year to try to raise the level of responsible drinking.

"Millions of Americans have enjoyed drinking our product for more than 135 years," she said, "and we have spent millions promoting responsible drinking to all consumers. One of the reasons Miller promotes the National Collegiate Alcohol Awareness Week is to heighten the awareness of responsible drinking."

A medical doctor at Baylor College of Medicine, Blum founded and chaired Doctors Ought to Care, a non-profit organization dedicated to educating the public about alcohol and tobacco abuse. Blum told the group alcohol and tobacco companies are killing 100 times as many people as all the illegal drugs combined.

Alcohol and tobacco are drugs, but not according the Partnership for Drug Free America, he said.

Their television ad, which depicts "drugs fry your brains like eggs," focuses on cocaine and indirectly makes alcohol and tobacco seem safe to use, Blum said.

The Partnership for Drug Free America is made up of R. J. Reynolds Tobacco Company, Anheuser-Busch, Phillip-Morris Tobacco, Miller Brewing and Johnson & Johnson Pharmaceuticals, he added.

According to Steve Dnistrian, spokesman for the Partnership for Drug Free America, the partnership is non-profit and is funded from over 200 different organizations.

"Only 3 percent of our funding comes from producers of alcohol or tobacco. Frankly, 3 percent doesn't buy anybody," said Dnistrian.

Blum considers these major companies the "pushers" of drugs that cause 400,000 tobacco-related and alcohol-related deaths each year. Blum is against these companies because he said they lie to children.

"I hope you can overcome the notion that I am anti-smoking, anti-alcohol, and I am very much anti-cancer, and anti-heart disease," he said.

What Blum is trying to do is to shift the focus away from the "user" to the "pusher," he said. The number-one preventable cause of death and disease is nicotine, he said.

In his presentation, Blum displayed several magazines whose cover articles appeared to address cancer, heart disease and tuberculosis. Ironically, said Blum, large, color cigarette ads were positioned on the back or center pages of the publications.

OVERCOME BOOZE IN 12 STEPS

by Rachel Gewirtz

Students gathered Thursday at A.D. Bruce Religion Center to discover ways of solving their drinking problems and stopping their addictive behavior.

The program was held as part of Alcohol Awareness Week. The week has been devoted to helping students learn about their own alcoholism as well as addiction among their family, friends and campus community.

"My alcoholism began in college. I drank socially, but my problem stemmed from there and grew into a full-blown addiction," said Brenda Broussard, a member of the Council on Alcoholism and Drug Abuse.

"At least half of the activities on campus emphasize liquor. This is the accepted form of fun on campus," said John Logan, a campus activities advisor.

Broussard, a recovering alcoholic who owns her own employment agency and lectures students of all ages on recovery programs, stressed addicts do not always look like skid-row characters. In fact, she said, only 3 to 5 percent of alcoholics in the nation fit the negative "hobo" stereotype.

"If alcohol is causing a problem in any part of your life, or you are drinking to escape emotional problems and relieve stress, you should begin to realize that you may be an alcoholic," said Broussard.

Alcoholism is a physical dependency on liquor. One does not have to have a physical need to have a drinking problem. "If you are failing tests on a regular basis or cannot keep a job due to drinking and constant hangovers, you have the need for a change in drinking pattern," she said.

Broussar told the group she had a drinking problem when she was a UH student. She said her friends had to put masking tape around her wine bottle so she wouldn't drink past that point. She said she drank because she didn't feel adequate, smart or thin. She drank to forget, but in the end the alcohol usually enhanced her feelings of low self-esteem.

The group also discussed isolation. If students are cut off from social events and family affairs or are drinking alone, they may need help.

"I was deeply into isolation," said Broussard. "I would go to work and my aerobics classes, but I would stand my family up at Thanksgiving. I lost contact with my close friends because I did not want them to know I was drinking."

Broussard said Alcoholics Anonymous helped her with her addiction. The program consists of twelve steps that help people stay away from alcohol and get involved in a positive lifestyle. Each step helps its participants admit they have no power over their drinking. The program also teaches participants how to deal with their old problems, such as insecurity, without the aid of alcohol.

ANDREWS PRESENTS HEALTH CARE, STUDENT LOANS PLANS IN SPEECH

by Debbie Callier

Most people know more about the quarterback of their football team than about their health care providers, said Democratic Congressman Mike Andrews Wednesday.

Andrews, speaking in the UC, seeks re-election for the sixth term as representative of the 25th District, which extends from west Pasadena to Ft. Bend County and parts of Houston.

He serves on the House Ways and Means Committee, which deals with issues including taxes, welfare and health care.

One of Andrews' proposals is a health care reform act titled the Managed Competition Act. The plan would attempt to insure every U.S. citizen, with the government covering costs, he said.

Andrews also proposes to provide information about providers to help people make better health care choices.

On the issue of student loans, Andrews said, "It ought to be fundamental that any kid who qualifies in school should go to college." Andrews said he worked his way through college and relied on student loans himself.

He recommended an expanded student loan program with an option of government service as a means of paying it back.

Andrews then took on the issue of gun control, saying simply, "It doesn't work."

He favors an eventual instant check on anyone buying a gun, but admits a five- to six-day waiting period is probably a necessary interim step.

Regarding the line item veto, a proposal to give the president power to veto specific items in a bill, he said, "It puts a lot of power in the White House. However, you do need a way to ferret out the pork, the things that undermine good bills."

Andrews said he doesn't favor term limitations because they would eliminate a lot of experienced and qualified people along with "the bad apples."

Students, consisting mainly of 45 members of the College Democrats, reacted favorably to Andrews.

"I was most impressed by his ability to be confident in his views even when they aren't popular," said Kenya Williams, a junior in MIS and marketing.

Charles Cooper, a senior in political science, called him fair-minded, brilliant and sensible.

Rich Sanchez, a sophomore English major, said that Andrews gave him insight and changed his mind about the line item veto.

Andrews' speech was sponsored by the College Democrats.

TRIO MAKDES MUSIC WITH 'PRONG ATTITUDE'

By Manuel Esparza

The future of rock is here, and it looks like Prong. This New York based trio lives not to defy categorization, but to create new ones.

The trio has no front man, but guitarist Tommy Victor definitely knows the band's direction. His views are pretty much shared by the other two.

Is Prong a metal outfit? Not really. Prong used independent labels as a platform for their moonscape music.

Their first major release, <i>Beg To Differ<p>, "has a very metalized approach to it," but it still contains the "Prong attitude."

When asked what that attitude was, Victor replied, "I don't know, as cynical as that may sound." The attitude has a transcending quality of random anger, laced with cynicism and a pursuit of bleak beauty.

Victor takes a minimalist approach to his music. The main difference between other bands and Prong is "a lot of groups you find today are retrospective to a certain period in rock. Prong fuses a lot of different musical periods or styles within one song."

His work as sound man in New York's landmark C.B.G.B. club whetted his vision of what a band should be.

He said, "My whole life revolved around that place for several years. It was great because at the time, there was this big scene there. New York is so separated and apart from the rest of the country. There's this pride about New York music. Though the bands are highly competitive, it (the New York scene) made you feel like you belonged somewhere."

"But Prong could never belong. We always never fit in with the genre of bands playing at that time."

Witnessing the "don'ts" of the band business led Victor to understand what was needed to survive. There was no one event that stands out in his mind. "It was more of a technical thing as far as equipment and stage persona went. Not anything specific, just a lot of little things."

The attraction of Prong to the musician looking for new horizons is stronger than a junkie to methadone. Swans drummer Ted Parsons, invited to join, helped to found Prong.

Another attracted to the adventurous attitude was Troy Gregory. He replaced Mike Kirkland on bass. Kirkland left after his heart was no longer into his work. Gregory enlisted after his old band toured with Prong. Citing a desire for more artistic room -- the same reason that led Parsons to leave the Swans -- Gregory became integral to the band.

With definite vision, Victor knows just where Prong will be in two years -- exactly where he is now: stylistically ahead of the masses.

"Two years down the road there will be a whole flock of bands doing what we did two years ago. If you want to know the future of rock listen to what we're doing now."

MUSIC A FAMILY AFFAIR FOR METHENY

by Jeff Balke

Virtuoso jazz guitarist/composer Pat Metheny is a true artist in every sense of the word.

"I came from a very musical family," Metheny said. Metheny's father, grandfather and brother all play trumpet. In fact, that is how he got his start.

Unfortunately, braces came between Metheny and the trumpet at the age of twelve and he was forced to give it up, replacing it with the guitar.

Though Metheny's parents were involved in music, they were not very supportive of his new choice.

"When I said I wanted to play guitar, my parents said 'absolutely not,' " he said. "As I started to get good, they became curious and when I began to get opportunities to play with the best musicians in and around my home town, they paid attention.

"The guitar had a cultural place (in the world) that fit with my spirit at the time and it really attracted me,"

Metheny was not, however, drawn into the guitar-dominated world of rock. Rather, he was seduced by albums of jazz greats Wes Montgomery and Miles Davis.

"Something that is odd about me is that I got into jazz right off the bat," Metheny said. "I heard this Miles Davis album (<i>Four and More<p>) when I was 11, and it was like lightning bolts came out of the sky. It was an incredible experience for me," he said. Metheny admits he likes all kinds of music, including rock and country. He has used these influences to his advantage on past albums.

"Part of what has made my musical career unique is that I have never hid my love for all kinds of music," he said.

Something else that has made Metheny's career unique is that he began teaching at University of Miami and Berkley College of Music in Boston at the age of 19.

"I went to Miami to go to school but I realized that I had just finished faking my way through high school and there was no way I could continue the myth that I was actually going to be a student," Metheny said.

Fortunately, the University of Miami had suddenly had a boom in the number of music majors studying guitar, and since Metheny had a lot of guitar experience they hired him.

Metheny recorded with a large number of musicians throughout the seventies and eighties. In fact, the list of people he has played with reads like a <i>Who's Who<p> of jazz musicians, including Ornette Coleman, Herbie Hancock, Lyle Mays and Michael Brecker.

Now, after receiving six grammys and recording 16 albums, Metheny has released his first true solo album, <i>Secret Story<p>.

<i>Secret Story<p> is a blend of jazz, folk and world music that grew out of Metheny's personal experience and speaks to others dealing with the same problems.

Metheny is bringing a special cast of players on his <i>Secret Story<p> tour that comes to Houston on Saturday, Oct. 24. If it is anything like the album, it will be worth seeing.

HORNS FIRE TOP GUNN AT COUGARS

The year was 1990. Newly christened Head Coach John Jenkins had the Cougars riding an eight-game winning streak and a No. 3 spot in the AP poll.

Houston had dominated the Southwest Conference, coming away with masterful (some thought miracle) wins against Rice and Texas A&M. Only Texas, also unbeaten in the conference, stood in the way of Houston's bid for a perfect season and a possible national championship.

Memorial Stadium in Austin swelled to standing-room-only capacity as more than 82,000 fans and a national television audience witnessed the Longhorns manhandle Houston in a 45-24 victory.

Texas strong safety Lance Gunn made two pivotal interceptions that day, slashing the Cougar's dreams.

Houston returns to Austin this weekend to avenge the 1990 loss, but Gunn just sees it as another game.

"The next game is nothing else," Gunn said. "The only time we've beaten them since I've been here was in '90. A team like that puts up some pretty good numbers. Over the last five years they're averaging something like 45 points a game against us." (44 points, actually).

"(The game) will give us a chance to get up 2-0 in the conference, put us in a position where we want to be going into the rest of our season. It's an important game because it's the next game."

Gunn, though, refuses to look past Houston and its 2-3 record.

"They (Houston) force you to play at a high level as far as your tackling, your coverage. Any mistake you make can be a touchdown because of the wide open offense they run," he said. "We know that Houston always plays us tough regardless of how they play (other teams).

"Last year when we played them we had won four games, and they were having what many people were calling a disappointing year. We had just come off a big win against Texas Tech, and they were still able to beat us, so you can't look for (teams to be) pushovers."

Jenkins also is not one to underestimate his competition. He believes Gunn is one of the best at his position in the conference.

"The secondary (of Texas) is a talented group. Gunn is the one that is most impressive. A big, sizable safety," Jenkins said. "He's a big, tall, rangy guy who can cover ground. He's definitely pro material."

Texas Head Coach John Mackovic agrees with Jenkins assessment of Gunn.

"Down in the South, Texas and the southern states are playing a lot more man to man coverage, so the strong safeties have to really be more cover guys, and I think Lance does that as well as anybody," Mackovic said. "I think every one of the pro scouts has been in to talk specifically about him. They regard him as a good prospect."

Gunn knows he is good and said the Texas secondary this year is as good if not better than 1990's.

"Maybe we're not getting as much pressure on the passer as we were that year, but our secondary covers just as well," he said. "You lose guys to the NFL and guys graduating and stuff like that, so maybe you're a different team from year to year, but we can still line up and play against anybody in the country."

The Cougar's Run-and-Shoot offense should provide the perfect litmus test.

DAVALOS A FINALIST

by Cougar Sports Staff

Cougar Athletic Director Rudy Davalos has been selected as a finalist for the vacant New Mexico A.D. position.

He is scheduled to interview for the job on Nov. 5-6.

NETTERS START SECOND ROUND

By Heather Ellis

Riding high in the SWC volleyball saddle, the Houston Cougars are starting the second round of conference action off with a bang.

The Baylor Bears are in town this weekend at Hofhienz, hoping to grab a win from the Lady Cougars. The game is at 7:30 Saturday.

Houston is out to rack up win number two against Baylor. The first time they played in September, Houston soundly defeated the bumbling Bears, three games to one.

The Cougars are second only to the Texas Longhorns in the SWC. The Houston netters are boasting their best start ever in their school history, with 5-1 record.

The Cougars clipped the wings of the Rice Owls Wednesday night at Autry Court. It was another quick match for the Cougars, as they overcame Rice in three straight games, 15-11,15-5, and 15-12.

In a non-conference game last weekend against Southwest Texas State, the Cougars again cried victory, winning the match three games to one.

UH SEEKS 'THE PETER'

by Keith Rollins

The Cougars look to invade Peter the Great's kingdom in Austin this Saturday.

The Texas Longhorns' quarterback, Peter Gardere, nicknamed "The Great" because of his success over the last four years against Oklahoma, will lead the burnt orange contingency.

The rivalry between the teams in recent years makes this game one of the biggest this year for the 2-3 Cougars.

The Longhorns lead the all-time series 9-7-2, but since the Cougars switched to the run-and-shoot in 1987, Houston has won the last four out of five games.

In 1990, the Cougars, led by then-Heisman hopeful David Klingler, fell apart to the Longhorns, losing 45-24. That loss was the only defeat incurred in the Cougars' 10-1 season.

Last year, the Cougars avenged the loss, knocking Texas out of Cotton Bowl contention with a 23-14 win.

This year, the stage is set in Memorial Stadium.

Texas, 3-2, is riding a three-game winning streak. They pounced on Oklahoma 34-24 in their last contest after beating Rice 23-21 in their SWC opener and North Texas 33-15 before that.

The Cougars lost to Baylor in their '92 SWC premiere last week 29-23.

Although Texas Head Coach John Mackovic is new to the SWC, Houston is familiar with him anyway.

Mackovic's Illinois team beat the Cougars handily last year 51-10.

"Last year when Houston came to Illinois, it was early in the year. Now we're here, and we are playing them again. It's a conference game; it means a lot more," Mackovic said.

Cougar Head Coach John Jenkins announced Thursday that Donald Douglas will get his third start of the season. Co-starter Jimmy Klingler has been slowed in practices because of a sprained right wrist but is expected to play.

Douglas threw for 135 yards on 13 completions out of 21 attempts against Baylor a week ago. He produced one touchdown, but had two interceptions. He also rushed for 75 yards on nine carries.

Houston's secondary has also been slowed by injuries. Strong safety Tyrone Davis is out for the season with a knee injury and his counterpart at the other safety position, Thomas McGaughey, has a bruised shoulder. McGaughey will be limited to part-time play.

Freshmen Gerome Williams and Michael Newhouse will fill the voids at that position.