JENKINS ASKS SHELTON TO REVIEW GAME TAPE

by Jason Luther

Cougars Coach John Jenkins confirmed calling the SWC Supervisor of Football Officials to discuss the officiating of the Houston-Texas game in Austin Saturday.

Jenkins said he called Wendell Shelton, who oversees all conference officials, early Monday morning and asked him to review the game film.

"I talked to Shelton and he said he would look at the film and take the appropriate action," Jenkins said.

There were several questionable calls in Houston's 45-35 loss, most of which concerned the out-of-bounds lines, which are not considered judgment calls.

Shelton confirmed talking to Jenkins and said he reviews all conference game tapes.

"We'll review the film and make the appropriate report to Coach Jenkins," Shelton said.

After every conference game, each team's head coach grades the officials. Decisions on officials' performances are not made until after the season.

A game cannot be overturned but officials can be fired due to an excessive amount of bad calls.

Shelton would not comment on possible action.

One of the calls Jenkins commented on was on a play late in the game negating a Freddie Gilbert touchdown that would have put the Cougars in a position to go ahead or tie. The official closest to the call, the back judge, ruled the catch a touchdown, but the side judge came over and overturned the call.

After the game, Jenkins said he was disturbed at the indecision on the part of the officials.

But the most contested calls were on an interception that set up the Longhorns' first score and a Peter Gardere to Kenny Neal touchdown connection that put Texas up 28-0. Television replays showed that both players involved were clearly out of bounds.

On the Kenny Neal touchdown, officials claimed that Neal was pushed out of bounds by a Houston defender. College rules state that a receiver can come back in bounds after being pushed out.

However, Neal never came back in bounds.

As he caught the ball, his foot brushed the endzone pylon, which is the out-of-bounds marker in each corner of the endzone. Neal's first foot came down on the line, which is considered out of bounds. His second foot landed well out of bounds.

The line judge, who is supposed to watch if the player is in bounds, signaled for the touchdown while standing directly between Neal and the pylon.

The calls, however, did not all go against the Cougars.

There was a fourth-and-one in the third quarter where Houston quarterback Jimmy Klingler rushed for 29 yards, while stepping out of bounds twice after obtaining the first down.

*******************************************************

LEARNING-DISABLED STUDENTS DESERVE EQUAL OPPORTUNITIES

by Melissa Neeley

UH students who have learning disabilities can go to the Center for Students with Disabilities to receive the equal educational opportunities they are entitled to by law.

The Americans with Disabilities Act which went into effect in July ensures that people with disabilities in the work place and at school have the same opportunities as those who do not have disabilities.

"People like Thomas Edison, Albert Einstein, Woodrow Wilson, Cher, Bruce Jenner and Whoopi Goldberg all have learning disabilities such as, for example, dyslexia," said Karen Waldman, coordinator for the Center for Students with Disabilities.

Before receiving services and accommodations from CSD, students must go through a battery of tests and be classified as learning disabled by the Counseling and Testing Center, Waldman said.

The eight-hour test costs the student about $100; this may seem expensive, but taking these tests outside UH costs about $800, Waldman said.

A learning disability must have been documented within the last three years; students cannot claim that they had a learning disability in grade school and automatically receive help, she said.

The test criteria used to determine if a student has a learning disability often indicates that the subject has an average to superior intelligence. The student, however, usually has a significant deficit in an academic area or a learning process.

Students who could not pass certain classes required for their majors were able to get substitutions for those courses because of their learning disability, Waldman said.

Students who have exceptional ability in math, for example, may have a learning disability like dyslexia which prevents them from doing well in courses requiring a lot of reading, Waldman said.

"Some students can do well in something like advanced calculus, but they can't add, subtract, divide and multiply. They can understand the concepts in mathematical reasoning, but the actual calculations just don't make any sense to them," she said.

Waldman also said that she deals with a student who does well in math and physics, but who cannot understand the rules of spelling, math, punctuation and grammar.

Once students have been approved for help they can receive many services through CSD.

CSD, for example, might direct students to the Learning Support Services to remedy the problems in certain classes that they are taking.

"We might assign the student to an individual tutor so the tutor will be more familiar with that student's individual needs. We also have our counselors give the students study strategies and different learning techniques which are modeled to their disabilities," said Patrick Daniel, program director of Learning Support Services.

If students are learning disabled and faculty has agreed to give them extended time in taking examinations, the student can call the testing center and be given another time to take the test, Daniel said.

CSD also provides scribes who will dictate the exam to the student. Students with reading difficulties can also get their textbooks transcribed on tape, she said.

The ADA protects the equal opportunity rights of those people having learning disabilities in the work force, too, she said.

"An employee with a learning disability might be able to use a computer with spell check and grammar check. They could dictate their memos instead of typing them themselves. (Because of the ADA), accommodations need to be made for people with learning disabilities in the same way they are made (for people) with physical disabilities," Waldman said.

To receive CSD services, students must let their instructors and those at the support services know of their learning disability, said Dorothy Caram, interim assistant to the vice president for affirmative action.

"Unless a professor is made aware of the disability, it is kind of hard for them to do anything. It's up to the person to speak out," said Caram, who also chairs the committee on ADA compliance.

INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS RECEIVE ENCOURAGEMENT, ASSISTANCE FROM CAMPUS SUPPORT GROUPS

by Yonca Dogan

International students are often faced with such difficulties as suddenly being alone in a different country, trying to understand the language and adapting to a new culture and educational system. However, they are not alone.

The International Student Organization and the Office of International Student and Scholar Services have much to offer, but international students' early experiences are sometimes tough. Zamri Ismail, a senior from Malaysia majoring in architecture, has his own hardship story. "My car broke down in the middle of the street at night. I was beaten and robbed by six men who at first seemed to be helpful," he said.

The UH campus is a big place and finding buildings is hard, said Vietnamese freshman Phu Duong, who studies English and math.

It is not easy for international students to find a support system. It's even more difficult when they are away from their families and they don't have relatives or friends in the United States.

IS & SSO provide various services to address international students' housing, immigration and financial concerns, said Anita V. Gaines, associate director of the IS & SSO.

Before the semester began, Residential Life and Housing provided 30 spaces for $10 a night from Aug. 14 through Aug. 20 for new international students, Gaines said.

"When I came here two years ago, getting used to this kind of living was stressful in terms of bills management, I didn't know the prices and I didn't worry about house bills before. Becoming social was also difficult," says pre-medical student Toks Lawal.

Although Lawal attended a British school in Nigeria, she still has difficulties with both the language and the multiple-choice question examinations.

International students, who comprise 7 percent of the UH student body, represent 80 countries.

More than 30 international student organizations play an active role not only representing the cultures of the international students, but also helping them in their daily living.

Tana Vitayapattana, president of the Thai Student Organization, says group studying is difficult for the Thai students because there are not a lot of them in any particular program, but he does help the new Thai students adjust to the new lifestyle.

Tanveer Khan, a junior in engineering, said at the beginning of his college career the Pakistan Student Association gave him much-needed support.

He is now a member of PSA, which, among other things, picks up new students from the airport and finds roommates for them.

Another PSA member, Shabbir Nooruddin, a senior majoring in engineering, said, "When I came to Houston, I didn't know how to find my way around and it took me three to four months to get used to this new environment."

He says he met a lot of Pakistanian students here and has found Houston very much like his native city of Karachi in Pakistan.

Khan and Nooruddin say the international students' problems are getting bigger than other students, because the student fee is more than double for them.

While ISO can't change the fee structure, they reach new students by setting up a table at the registration center during registration, said Hatim Abu Sineina, president of the ISO.

"If international students don't stay in dormitories they usually don't have a chance to get acquainted with the American students," he said, "because everybody rushes from one class to another."

ISO, a broad umbrella group that covers approximately 30 different international student organizations, does not restrict membership to any particular group or to conventional activities.

Although Lisa Lee is a Korean student, she is the secretary of the Filipino Student Association. Lee, a sophomore majoring in business, says she is involved in this group because she wants to know about a different culture.

Meanwhile, if someone, regardless of nationality, comes up with a new idea, ISO is ready to apply it, said Sineina.

"I've been in the U.S. since I was three and I admire international students because of their ability to have an open mind," said Trang Phan, the secretary of the ISO and the president of the Vietnamese Volunteer Fraternity.

Correction

In Monday's issue, the presidential debates of 1960, referred to in the staff editorial, should have been termed the Kennedy/Nixon debates.

LADY COUGARS EARN SHARE OF FIRST PLACE

The Baylor Bears women's volleyball team came to Houston Saturday night, looking for their second conference win.

What they got was Lilly Denoon.

Denoon powered her way past the Baylor defenders hitting .500 percent with a team-high 13 kills to lead the Cougars to a 15-9, 15-8, 15-6 victory over the Bears in a sparsely attended Hofheinz Pavilion.

Houston never fell behind, dominating in blocks (9-4), kills (52-34) and hitting percentage (.309-.101).

The Bears seemed lost at times, and they never really got into a groove until the final game.

Houston was up 7-1 when Baylor called a time out that served as a wake-up call and brought the Bears out of hibernation. They served up five unanswered points and rallied within one point of Houston.

The Cougars would not be denied and slammed eight straight points down Baylor's throat to cap the three-game sweep.

Houston took its record to 13-7 overall and 6-1 in the conference. The Bears fell to 18-10, 1-6 in the conference.

The Cougars are now tied with Texas, who lost to Texas Tech on Saturday, for the conference lead. The Longhorns, who handed the Cougars their only conference loss, will meet in Houston again on Nov. 11 in Hofheinz The game will be televised live by HSE.

The Cougars go on the road the next four games and return to Hofheinz Nov. 6 against the Sam Houston State Bearcats.

INTRAMURAL FOOTBALL KICKS INTO HIGH GEAR

by John Varriale

Flag football, the most popular intramural fall sport among UH students, is in mid-season and the path to post-season play is up for grabs.

"This year is wide open," said Associate Director of Intramural Recreation Mark Cuhlmann. "There's no solid favorite to win it all."

The winner of two of the last three men's division intramural championships, the Asbury Jukes, has disbanded. There are now six undefeated teams vying to be the next dominant team.

The teams to beat this year are High Impact and Sportin' Woodies in the Independent Division; the Pikes and TKE Red in the Greek Division; and Stiff Competition and Unfinished Business in the Pro Division.

Intramural flag football is played on fields that are 80-yards long and 50-yards wide. Each team fields seven men, but can substitute players throughout the game. First downs are gained whenever the offense crosses any 10-, 20- or 40-yard line on the field. After a touchdown is scored, the offense can attempt to score an extra point by running a play from their opponent's 5-yard line.

Most teams pass much more than they run because the field is the same width as a professional field, which allows receivers space to get open. The velcro flags players wear are also easier to reach at the crowded line-of-scrimmage.

There are three leagues in intramural flag football: the Men's, Women's and Fun League. The Fun League is made up of all-male teams that play in a less competitive environment than the Men's League.

There are no co-recreational teams in flag football. Assistant Athletic Director Rookie Dickenson said the department attempts to field co-recreational teams in every sport where injuries are unlikely to occur. "We don't want a 250-pound guy to run over an 80-pound lady," Dickenson said.

UH has 80 intramural teams made up of organizations such as fraternities or dorm leagues, but anyone who can organize a group can participate.

There are currently four football fields and five softball fields designed for intramural sports.

However, two football and three softball fields will be scrapped to make room for a new athletic facility that will be built next to Hofheinz.

There is a proposal to build two football fields and one softball field behind the Burger King on Cullen Boulevard.

The Intramural Sports Department may be able to use the Cougars' practice fields adjacent to the current intramural fields; but the condition of the practice field may deteriorate with excessive use.

EX-COUGAR WHITLEY DIES OF HEART ATTACK AT AGE 37

by Jason Luther

Former University of Houston football player Wilson Whitley died at age 37 on Sunday morning of an apparent heart attack in a hospital in Marietta, Ga.

Whitley, a former All-American lineman, became the first Southwest Conference player to win the coveted Lombardi Award in 1976. The award is given to the most outstanding college lineman in the nation.

Whitley lettered for the Cougars from '73-76 and was named the SWC Player of the Decade for the 1970s.

He went on to play professionally with the Bengals from '78-82 and the Oilers in 1983. He was also was a key player in the Bengals' 1981 Super Bowl-winning team.

Whitley was working as director of sports marketing with Holiday Inn.

Whitley is survived by his wife and two daughters.

Memorial services will be held Wednesday in Marietta, Ga. The family will bring the body back to Texas for burial on Saturday.

COUGAR CLIPS

--Injury report: Quarterback Donald Douglas, arch, and tackle Steve Clarke, ankle. Both players are listed as questionable.

--The Cougars have now moved a team into the national rankings as well as out. Houston's loss at Texas Saturday moved the Longhorns to 25th in the nation in the Associated Press' College Football Poll. Their Sept. 19 defeat of Illinois moved the Illini out of the number 25 spot in the USA Today - CNN Coach's Poll.

--The Cougars have lost 10 straight games outside Houston. The last win on the road came against SMU in 1990.