UH GETS GRANT FOR NEW SUPERCOMPUTER CENTER

by Dai Huynh

UH received more than $2.9 million to establish a high-performance computer center.

The five-year Grand Challenge Applications grant, awarded by the National Science Foundation earlier this month, is being used to set up the Texas Center for Advanced Molecular Computation at UH.

TCAMC will accommodate a parallel supercomputer, which is a network of many computers linked together. Ridgway Scott, the center's director, and mathematician Roland Glowinski hope to accomplish this objective by linking together 1,000 computer processing units.

The parallel supercomputers have the potential to work 1,000 times faster than a single high-performance computer. The parallel supercomputer will help to condense research hours and cut laboratory costs, Scott said.

With the aid of the parallel supercomputer, TCAMC hopes to play an active part in solving major medical problems.

UH Chemistry Professors J. Andrew McCammon and B. Montgomery Pettitt will use the parallel supercomputer in their research of treatments for cancer and AIDS.

Present laboratory practices for designing new AIDS and cancer drugs have been slow and unsuccessful, McCammon said. Therefore, pharmaceutical companies have turned to computers in aiding their research for new drugs, he said.

The parallel supercomputers allow researchers to make realistic models of molecules and permit them to accurately make predictions of how a drug would react to bacteria, he said.

"I think people are just getting an early hint of the way science medicine is going. It's going to be impacted by these computers and the University of Houston is leading the way worldwide in this area," McCammon said.

Senator Lloyd Bentsen (D-Texas) said, "This grant is yet another jewel in the crown of research now being conducted across our state in the leading edge of computer technologies."

"This grant will help ensure that Houston and Texas play an important role in maintaining American leadership in the new and exciting field of biotechnology which is expected to be a $100 billion-a-year industry a decade from now," he added.

Spurred from a congressional and presidential initiative, the GCA grant's goal is to promote the use of parallel supercomputers, Scott said.

In past years, the United States has fallen behind its foreign counterparts, Scott said. Now the government wants to jump start the industry by educating students and post-doctorates on parallel supercomputers, he added.

"Right now, there are a limited number of people who can use the supercomputers. It's a very rare skill," Scott said.

Five other institutions received the GCA grants: Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Carnegie Mellon University, University of Illinois and the University of Colorado.

TCMAC will not work along with these five facilities, but it will be exchanging information to avoid duplication of efforts, Scott said.

Melvyn Ciment, an executive officer from NSF Department of Computer and Information Science and Engineering, said 118 proposals were submitted to NSF for the GCA grants.

NSF selected the parties that were at the forefront of computer technology and have the most potential for advancing, he said.

The total cost of the TCAMC is estimated to be more than $4 million, said Office of Sponsor Programs Assistant Vice President Julie Norris.

With the Defense Advanced Research Projects support, NSF has earmarked $600,000 for the center's first-year operation. The center will then receive annual installments based on the availability of funds and scientific progress of the project until 1996.

The center will also receive more than $1.3 million from non-governmental entities, including $266,000 from UH for equipments, Norris said.

The center will be located on the second floor of S&R I and is expected to be fully operational by the end of 1992.

*******************************************************

ETCETERA GIVES IN TO IRATE COKE LOVERS

by Kristine Fahrenholz

Reacting to students' protest, EtCetera's has decided not to pull Coca-Cola products from its shelves.

The upcoming return of Coke products is the result of concerned consumers signing a petition.

Coca-Cola products were taken out of the store Oct.7 due to a corporate decision, said Gerry Maloney, manager of the UH Bookstore. Barnes and Noble Inc. owns EtCetera stores.

Coke products will be for sale once again in approximately one week, Maloney said, which leaves the necessary time for installation of the coolers in the stores.

Jim Eilan, merchandising manager of Barnes and Noble Inc., said space was a factor in the decision to remove Coca-Cola products because the number of different brands of beverages is greater than the amount of space in the stores.

"An issue is being made out of something that isn't an issue," Eilan said, regarding the petition for the return of Coke products. "We can't make everybody happy all the time."

Students began the petition in the EtCetera store in the U.C. Satellite. Mildred Martin, an employee of EtCetera, counted 876 signatures, but Maloney said approximately 200 names were present on the petition.

"Coke just has that 'bite,' " said Mary Thibodeaux, junior psychology major.

Dave Chipman, post-baccalaureate in geography, said he also prefers Coke over Pepsi. "It tastes better and contains less sugar," he said.

However, Thibodeaux and Chipman were unaware of the petition.

Some faculty members were also upset by the sudden removal of Coke products. Communications professor Garth Jowett voiced his opinion by calling Eilan to disclose his dissatisfaction of the choice made between Coke and Pepsi.

"He (Eilan) was weaseling around the question of why Coke was removed from the stores," Jowett said.

Abrupt removal of the petition from the store, due to managerial orders, resulted in Marcel Fields, manager of EtCetera, later sending the petition to the corporate offices in New York for acknowledgement.

The only places Coke and Pepsi are sold concurrently are in the Quadrangle Late Night store and various campus vending machines. American Cafe, Coogs Cafe, Quadrangle Cafeteria, Moody Towers Itza Pizza and the Satellite cafeteria only carry Coca-Cola products.

SEXUAL ASSAULT POLICY WILL REQUIRE LOTS OF MONEY, TIME, INVESTMENT

by Deborah Hensel

Questions about implementation and funding of the Sexual Assault Task Force's recommendations surfaced Thursday. Members examined their responsibilities as outlined in UH President James Pickering's original appointment letter.

"We"re talking about doing a lot of things here," said Gail Hudson of Counseling and Testing. "We're talking about a victim's advocate program, really widespread education and pro-active efforts and fully implementing procedures to follow that are not victim-driven."

"What I refuse to do is spend hours coming up with a wonderful policy that is passed and put into place and is not at all -- in any way -- funded or supported," she said.

Task Force Chair Cynthia Freeland also introduced a memo written by law professor Laura Oren which spurred discussion among task force members.

Oren's memo asks if there is a need for a separate hearing board to deal with disciplinary cases involving sexual assault.

Current disciplinary procedure gives an accused student the option of having the Dean's office hear the complaint or going before a student judicial body.

Oren's memo states that hardly anyone chooses the judiciary because of the problem of confidentiality, which is even more likely to be a factor in cases of sexual assault.

Vice President of Student Affairs Elwyn Lee said the creation of a specialized hearing board for assault cases on campus would require specialized training that already exists within the criminal court system.

Other discussion prompted by Oren's memo involved the definition of sexual assault and whether the task force would use the definitions used in the penal code.

Recent incidences of fondling that occurred in the UC and the library were cited as examples of improper acts that fall outside the definition of sexual assault.

The task force scheduled three working meetings throughout November to begin to write the recommendations due to Pickering by Dec. 1.

MVP RECEIVES GRANT FOR STUDENT-RUN LITERACY PROGRAM

by Erin Balch

"Excitement" was the key word for the Metropolitan Volunteer Program when it was announced the organization would received a $6,000 grant.

MVP, the UH clearinghouse for volunteer opportunities in Houston, is the recipient of a grant to implement a student-run literacy program at the university.

"I was ecstatic," said Michelle Palmer, assistant director of MVP. "There's no way we could have a literacy program without it."

MVP's money is part of a consortium grant that included 25 Houston literacy programs. The programs received a total of $692,044 through the National Literacy Act.

They received help from the READ commission, which initiated the paperwork for the grant.

"Right now our main goal is to find a student coordinator and go about setting up the program," said Shannon Bishop, director of MVP.

The program would be designed to promote adult literacy and be fully student operated. The majority of the money is allocated to pay a stipend for a student program coordinator.

The student coordinator must have a 2.5 GPA, be enrolled in at least 12 hours and be willing to work 20 hours per week. An interest in adult literacy and a knowledge of the problem of literacy in the community is also recommended.

"MVP has their roots in literacy," Bishop said. MVP's founder was a member of the Literacy Core, a former UH student organization. She said MVP has always had a goal of getting its own literacy program.

"This is going to make UH a more respected part of the community because almost every major university has a literacy program on campus," Palmer said.

Bishop said in the past, MVP couldn't do much for people who were interested in adult literacy.

"Now we can," she said.

FOUR YEARS NOTHING COMPARED TO ETERNITY

(CPS) - Music students working late in the fine arts building at Nebraska Wesleyan University have reported hearing, in a vacant classroom, a piano softly playing and a woman's voice singing in the dark.

Scary? They swear it's true.

The legend of Clara Mills, a popular music teacher who taught at the school from 1912 until her sudden death in 1940, stays alive through the years, said Mary Smith, a professor of English who spends Halloween Eve telling ghost stories in student dormitories.

"I myself have never seen her," admits Smith, who says she is the "keeper of the legend" because she was on campus in 1963, when Clara was first seen.

According to the professor, a campus secretary saw the image of a slender raven-haired women in a long-sleeved white blouse and ankle-length skirt.

The sighting was investigated by Gardner Murphy, president of the American University of Psychic Research in 1964. Murphy claimed the secretary had been transported back in time, and had experienced a genuine phenomena.

Years later, when the building where Clara had suffered a fatal heart attack was torn down, Smith and a "ragtag" group of devoted Clara Mills fans went to the site, held hands, sang, and asked Clara to move to the fine arts building, where she allegedly has resided ever since.

Nebraska Wesleyan University, like many U.S. campuses, boasts a benign resident ghost, often a faculty member or student who died quickly and tragically. With Halloween just around the corner, a rash of sightings is to be expected, say experts in paranormal phenomena.

Friendly campus apparitions such as Clara Mills' usually have earned a certain affection from the student body, and whether making a Halloween appearance or not, generally don't terrorize students.

At Rollins College in Winter park, Fla., there's Annie Russell, a golden-haired actress who has floated, since her death in 1935, around a small campus theater named after her.

"I have never seen Annie," admits Rollins philosophy professor Hoyt Edge, who specializes in paranormal psychology. "But there are stories that students have told me. There are instances where they have caught glimpses of a form. It's a sense that someone is there, a presence."

Edge reported stories that the elusive Annie has tampered with stage lighting and scenery. "I guess she had ideas about how plays should be produced," he said.

Then there's mischievous Florence Lee, a spirit that has haunted the Phi Kappa Sigma's rambling old sorority house at St. Lawrence University in New York's Adirondack Mountains for well over a century.

Florence, the daughter of John Stebbins Lee, the first president of St. Lawrence, lived in the house as a child until her death in 1860. some residents claim to have seen Florence, in a flowing white dress, passing through the hallways.

Mysterious door slammings and unplugged stereos (particularly those that play rock 'n' roll) mean Florence is around, say sorority members. The reports prompted a visit in 1979 by the investigators of the infamous Amityville House.

While Rosary College, River Forest, Ill., doesn't boast such glamorous ghosts, they do claim that the three-dimensional stone faces at the entrance of the college's Gothic social hall were once inhabited by spirits.

School legend is that the faces, now sanded blank, once possessed clear features and would speak out, make noises, and would follow passersby with their eyes. To rid the campus of the spirits, says the legend, the school's nuns had a team of workmen sand off their features.

Kerry Gaynor, a California hypnotist who has investigated 800 hauntings, said that a haunted building on a university campus rarely poses any dangers.

"It (the ghost) may be up to something mischievous, but not dangerous. We are just frightened of something we don't understand," Gaynor said. "I have, however, suggested that people move if they are uncomfortable."

"Ghost sightings" may be far a more complex experience than simply glimpsing an apparition floating in the air, according to Edge, who says his philosophy is that of G.N.M. Tyrrell, author of <i>Apparitions<p> and president of the Society for Psychic Research in London.

"It's a standard theory that hauntings are a result of telepathically induced hallucinations. They are hallucinations in the sense that they seem to perform in ways that we expect them to: they have clothes, they have canes, they have horses and carriages.

"There is something that we produce. If telepathically induced, there is something. Maybe it's spirits. There is some residue that is picked up psychically some information that is passed to us. For example, you see hauntings about people you don't know, and you put them in the proper haunting (environment)," he said.

Edge recalled organizing a hauntings investigation that entailed sending a Rollins student to spend the night in the gardens of an Orlando, Fla., art center, where a well-known apparition supposedly makes his home.

In the middle of the ink-black night, when the top half of a male figure revealed himself to the astonished student, he dropped everything and ran.

"Scared him to death. He left all of his equipment. Just took off," said Edge, chuckling.

COUGARS LOOK TO LEAP PAST HORNED FROGS

by Jason Luther

Ten years ago the Houston-TCU game would have been considered anything but a rivalry.

Until 1984, the Horned Frogs had never beaten the Cougars. They lost in their first eight tries.

Since then, the contest has turned into a quite a rivalry with the two teams splitting the last eight games.

The last two games have been high-scoring affairs in which each team has posted some gaudy statistics.

In 1990, Horned Frog quarterback Matt Vogler passed for a team record 690 yards; but the Frogs were still handily defeated 56-35 by the Cougars.

Last season, in a back-and-forth battle, TCU edged Houston 49-45, despite UH quarterback David Klingler's 429 yards passing and four touchdowns.

Through their last three meetings, the two squads have amassed 83.3 points and 1,055 yards per game.

Don't expect anything different in the Cougars' homecoming game against the Horned Frogs Saturday.

Last week Houston and TCU combined for 1,098 yards against Texas and Rice, respectively.

Pat Sullivan has had a tough inauguration as TCU's skipper. Taking over for Jim Wacker, who left the Frogs to coach at the University of Minnesota, Sullivan has suffered through a 1-5-1 record.

With most of last season's 7-4 team intact, the Sullivan-led squad has lost on the road to New Mexico and SMU. Last season, the Frogs blew out New Mexico 60-7 in Fort Worth.

But Cougars' Coach John Jenkins said TCU's lackluster record doesn't make them any less dangerous.

"They're in transition," Jenkins said. "I'd like to see that transition continue another week or so. They've got a lot of talented players.

"The only way that we can approach this game is to assume that they'll be at their very best." Sullivan said he is concerned with injuries.

"We're a little banged up right now, but we need to patch ourselves up and come up with a plan to compete with the Cougars this Saturday," Sullivan said.

Two of the Frogs' defensive tackles, Jason Ritchmond and Bryan Brooks, are out with fractured bones. Running back Derrick Cullors and offensive lineman Boyd Milby are questionable with injured ankles.

The Cougars have injury problems of their own. Defensive lineman Steve Clarke is out for at least four weeks with a fractured fibula and quarterback Donald Douglas is questionable with an injured arch.

Jenkins said Jimmy Klingler will start Saturday's game at quarterback and he will make a decision on Douglas at warm-ups Saturday. Eric Harrison will replace Clarke.

BLEACHER CREATURES SPARK SPIRIT AT FOOTBALL GAMES

With one brilliant spark of emotion, a process has begun that has the capability to ignite a room.

This phenomenon can be elusive at times, but once it has been captured it can spread like wildfire through a forest.

This burning force has such power, that it will finally become a raging spirit embodied in Houston Cougar Scarlet Red and Albino White.

This weekend the Homecoming flame will shine brightly as the Houston Cougar spirit will blaze a triumphant path to victory over Texas Christian University on Saturday.

Since its founding in 1927, Houston made the progression from junior college to university in 1934.

Over the past 58 years, the school has created an important history that serves as a foundation for tradition.

Glancing over the campus, one can see red and white imprinted on buildings and threaded throughout the halls and walls of the university.

The colors originated from regal roots. They are the royal colors of General Hugh, an ancestor of General Sam Houston.

Red is known as Scarlet Red and represents the courage to face what is unknown or to find inner strength.

The pure white or Albino White represents the good in helping fellow man.

Another integral aspect of the University is the ferocious Cougar mascot.

The Cougar or mountain lion, was chosen because of its courage and tenacity.

It has become a tradition for the Cougar mascot to drop and do push-ups for every point scored at a game. As many mascots can attest, this is not as easy as it looks.

Another aspect of Houston tradition is the Coat of Arms that was adopted in 1938. The coat was given to Sir Hugh, a Scottish knighthood, for rescuing King Malcom in the midst of a battle.

The Coat of Arms has many parts. On part of it there are checkered chevrons that denote nobility. There are also three ravens that signify strength and long life.

Above the shield a winged hourglass was added; placed above this is the motto, "In Tempore," meaning "In Time." Greyhounds are placed on the sides reflecting speed, and mantlets, lowland birds, symbolizing peace and deliverance, supplanted the ravens.

Colors and mascots are important; however, it is the student body that keeps the school spirit from becoming nothing more than a dying ember.

Like a caged animal that longs to be free, there is an organization that yearns to light the fire of enthusiasm for the Houston fans.

The Bleacher Creatures is this organization. Boasting 450 members, the Bleacher Creatures have one goal.

"Our main focus is to support UH athletics. We want to display a large amount of Cougar spirit." said Mitch Rhodes, Bleacher Creature president.

Fulfilling their motto of "We go in together and we go in loud," the Bleacher Creatures are an intimidating force at games.

Painted-like warriors before a battle, the group does its best to overwhelm the opponents on the field without ever leaving their seats.

"People need to understand traditions and take pride in their school. We consider every single person a Bleacher Creature, even if they don't paint their face," Rhodes said with a smile.

The group is currently awaiting recertification, but they cheer for Cougars with an insurmountable level of pride.

WHITLEY REMEMBERED AS LEADER

by Keith Rollins

The year was 1976. The Cougar football team had amassed a dismal 2-8 record the year before. Houston had just entered a tough Southwest Conference League and the season was bleak from everyone's standpoint, but one.

Wilson Whitley, already a three-year letterman on the squad, stood up before the team after spring training one day. Everyone grew silent out of respect for the huge defensive lineman.

"He said that this was going to be the best year the University of Houston has ever had, we are going to put the Houston Cougars on the map," Danny Davis, the quarterback in 1976, said.

A Cougar legend was born.

Whitley eclipsed all expectations. He won the most prestigious award given to a defensive player at the end of that year, the 1976 Lombardi Trophy.

"Everyone knew that Wilson was the best player in college football that year. The reason why I played at the University of Houston was so I didn't have to play against Wilson Whitley," Davis said.

Although he was portrayed as a "wild man on the field, off the field he didn't show it. He was caring and would listen to problems," Davis said.

Whitley led a defense that year which helped the Cougars to their first Cotton Bowl victory over Maryland. Before the game, the undefeated Terrapins had already drawn up plans for their national championship rings. Whitley was instrumental in changing the outcome.

He was also named -- opposite Earl Campbell -- as the SWC Defensive Player of the Decade in the '70s, despite playing only one year in the conference.

Whitley went on to play six years in the NFL for the Cincinnati Bengals and one for the Houston Oilers. He started all 16 games in the Bengals' '81 season which ended in a loss to the San Francisco 49ers in Super Bowl XVI.

Whitley retired from football in 1983.

Last Sunday morning, the 37-year old Whitley died of a heart attack.

The father of two was the National Director of Sports Marketing for Holiday Inns, Inc.

He is survived by his wife Norma and daughters Wynter and Jordan.

In his memory, Houston's Athletic Director Rudy Davalos announced the establishment of the Wilson Whitley Memorial Scholarship Fund.

After his last season as a Cougar, Whitley wanted to keep in touch with his teammates.

He spearheaded the start of the Spirit of '76, an informal club that would attend Cougar football games and participate in alumni functions.

The club is still intact, and Davis said, "it will continue in the spirit of Wilson Whitley as their leader."

Interestingly, the last time Whitley was in the news was after his inspirational message he delivered to the Cougar football team in 1990 about winning.

LUNA

by Rebecca McPhail

Although they are currently racing up the college charts with their debut album, Luna is hardly new to the music scene.

In fact, Luna's members have been culled from the ash heaps of disbanded '80s indie bands Galaxie 500, the Chills and the Feelies.

Comprised of singer/guitarist Dean Wareham, bassist Justin Harwood and Drummer Stanley Dameski, Luna is a marked contrast to the glut of big-production bands currently holding court on the charts.

Harwood asserts the record's under-production was not a conscious decision on the band's part.

"When we made the album, we didn't have a set production idea," he said. "It just seemed that the songs didn't cry out for anything else. They were simple pop songs with some guitar-oriented rock."

Originally playing with the New Zealand-based Chills, Harwood received a call from Wareham, who had split from Galaxie 500.

Wareham was already signed to Elektra records in New York and was recruiting permanent members for his new band.

Harwood jumped at the chance. But not for the obvious reasons.

"I love New York. In fact, that's one of the reasons I said 'yes.' It was a chance to go and live there," he said.

The band is currently on the road supporting their album, <i>Lunapark<p>.

Although some bands use the road as an opportunity to accomplish extra work, Luna take a slightly more laid-back approach to touring.

"None of us work very well on the road. In fact, we don't really work hard in rehearsal, so we just decided to leave songwriting until later," he said.

Luna will be appearing at the Vatican Oct. 31.

SCREAMING TREES

by Rebecca McPhail

Until recently, the Screaming Trees seemed destined to escape the intense glare of the national spotlight aimed at the Seattle music scene.

Then came the <i>Singles<p> soundtrack.

"It was cool being a part of it," said Trees' guitarist, Gary Lee Conner. "But it's gotten to be kind of a drag with everyone asking us about the Seattle thing."

The Screaming Trees, (guitarist Gary Lee Conner, bassist Van Conner, drummer Barrett Martin and frontman Mark Lanegan) are hardly an overnight sensation.

The group first came together in the early '80s after Lanegan and Van Conner began comparing musical tastes in their Ellensburg, Wash. high school. Gary joined the group soon after.

After several EP's, a number of independent label releases and two major label album releases, Gary isn't exactly eager to admit the band's surprisingly long history.

"I don't really mind people thinking we're an overnight sensation," he said. "It's better than them thinking we've been around this long and no one wants to listen to us."

After a string of drummers, including Mudhoney's Dan Peters, the Trees finally settled on Barrett Martin.

"Finding Barrett was total blind luck," Gary said. "He's a great drummer and he's really given the band a shot in the arm."

Currently on tour in support of their latest album, <i>Sweet Oblivion<p>, the Trees are enjoying the perks of stardom.

"We were on the David Letterman show last week," Gary said.

Although the band only shook the reclusive host's hand, there were other enjoyments to be had.

"We met Paul Shaffer," Gary said. "He was really cool."

Screaming Trees will be appearing at the Vatican Oct. 31.

MORE THAN SCHOOL SPIRIT LURKING IN E. CULLEN CORRIDORS

by Gram Gemoets

E. Cullen has been the site of strange happenings and ghostly encounters.

Specters roam the halls, strange moans and footsteps haunt the basement corridors and hair-raising drafts waft the halls; these eerie events have all been reported by late-night UH staff members.

"There are certain spots I don't like and at night I stay away from a particular stairwell down in the basement," theatrical director for the Cullen Performance Hall Mark Rhoades said.

"Even as we talk, I can feel the hair on my arms rising," Rhoades said.

Some say it is the ghost of Ezekiel Wimberly Cullen wandering the halls. Others claim it is the spirit of a workman killed by a fall from the roof during the building's construction more than 40 years ago.

Construction began on the building in 1948 and it opened officially in 1949. Now, on cold winter nights, some claim an eerie hammering noise can be heard on the basement pipes.

Possibly, the restless soul of the dead workman is trying to finish the job he unwillingly left behind so many years ago.

A certain night custodian, who asked that his name not be used, claims to have encountered the ghost two years ago on Halloween night. "I was cleaning, and I kept hearing this clicking noise. When I turned around, there he was. His face was mean and blue. He kind of floated and was checking his pocket watch. I ran and didn't look back," the scared source stated. (Cullen was known for being very time-wise and always checking his gold watch.)

The theory of the specter belonging to Cullen, who died in 1883, is backed by some historical facts.

As the self-titled Father of Education in Texas, it was Cullen's dream to establish a university in the heart of the Houston business district. However, his grandson's (Hugh Roy Cullen) donation has primarily been spent developing UH central, not UH downtown.

Cullen, turning in his grave over his misspent fortune, has returned to seek his revenge.

The spirit (or spirits) seem most active in the basement. "When you're all alone in the building, you just know something is there with you," Rhoades said.