UH REVENUE ESTIMATOR COMMENDS RESHAPING

by Meagan McGovern

UH is one of the few universities in Texas taking an active role in preparing itself for the state to slash the educational budget, said the chief revenue estimator for the state.

Thomas Plaut said of UH's current reshaping plan, "I commend (UH). This is not some kind of game," and said he was surprised by the lack of planning by both the University of Texas and Texas A&M. Plaut spoke at the University Planning and Policy Council meeting Monday. The UPPC is in charge of overseeing the restructuring of UH.

Plaut said despite dire warnings by state legislators about the upcoming budget shortfall, few educators are doing much about it.

He said the state had announced that the budget for public education in grades K-12 was only going to be increased $650 million, yet educators requested $3 billion.

His office explained again to the educators that only $650 million would be available, and asked for a new budget request. They again asked for $3 billion.

"There's no way to fund it," said Plaut. "(State Lt. Gov. Bob) Bullock is really serious. There are going to be big reductions."

He said UH was headed in the right direction with the restructuring. "Strategic planning processes will be rewarded, and playing around won't."

John Cater, chair of the board of regents for the UH System, agreed. He spoke to the UPPC about the outlook of the regents about the reshaping.

Cater said other universities are ignoring the bleak predictions from Austin. "It's hard to believe nothing is going on," he said. "Their idea is 'we need every penny we asked for and we're gonna fight for it.' I don't understand that."

In the past, he said, some universities like A&M and UT "have poisoned the well." He said these schools claim every year to be in financial trouble, to need every dime they ask for.

In effect, he said, they have "cried wolf, without regard for the fact that they get the lion's share of the money and waste money that other schools spend wisely. It's offensive to have them ignore (the current budget situation.)"

He said one of the few good things about the current financial troubles is the fact that UH has never had extra money to spend. "We've never had resources to squander. There are no antique collections in warehouses. Our dollars have been spent keeping the roof patched, keeping a few journals in the library.

"We're not going from a palace to a first-class home. We're going from a first-class home where we keep the lights burning all the time to one where we do our own yard work."

He said there would be tough cuts, but "no amputation of major limbs, just surgical corrections."

Plaut said the current situation is long-term, and UH was right in responding to it. He said the state predicts a $4-6 billion shortfall, and no one can predict just how bad the financial picture will be. "I have no idea really. Who knows what's going to happen? It's incredibly confusing."

*******************************************************

ARMED ROBBER STEALS NISSAN AFTER VICTIM GIVES OPERATING INSTRUCTIONS

A UH student was robbed of his car by a suspect who demanded he start it for him at 10:16 p.m. yesterday in parking lot 15D, UHPD Lt. Brad Wigtil said.

Waleed Mohammed Al-Mansi, 23, was walking to his car with his friend, Fadi Ali Abdi, 27, when they noticed a man approaching them from lot 15F, Wigtil said.

The suspect eventually met Al-Mansi, a biological physics junior, and Abdi, a bio-physics senior, at the car with what appeared to be a snub-nosed revolver with a short barrel.

"The suspect then demanded the car keys and their wallets," Wigtil said. "Abdi was the only one with a wallet."

Once inside the 1985 Nissan Maxima, the suspect saw the vehicle was a standard (stick-shift) and attempted to start it.

"He had Al-Mansi start (the car) for him," Wigtil said. "He also kept stalling the car as he left."

Besides Abdi's wallet and Al-Mansi's car, the suspect drove away with a leather jacket, a Sony Walkman and textbooks left in the vehicle.

The suspect is described as a black male, five feet six inches, 120 pounds and between 16 and 18 years old with a very short hair cut, Wigtil said.

"He was dressed in a black button-down, short-sleeved shirt with a gold paisley design," he said. "He was also wearing black baggy pants which were tucked into black high-top shoes."

No shots were fired and neither student was injured during the incident, though they were physically threatened by the suspect.

According to a statement given to UHPD by the students, the suspect said, "Nobody move. Stay where you are or I'll shoot you."

A check with the Texas and National Crime Information Centers revealed the car has not yet been recovered.

"It might in some ways be a good thing. We may be able to get the suspect and the car," Wigtil said. "The suspect may still be driving the car, which means it may not be damaged yet."

The car was last seen by Al-Mansi and Abdi headed north on Scott St.

STUDENTS FROM FAR AWAY MAKE UH TEMPORARY HOME

by Florian R. Ho

Look around. Chances are you will see at least one of the multitude of people who have traveled thousands of miles to get an education in America -- many arriving without any family or friends.

Approximately 2,220 non-immigrant international students are currently attending UH, said Anita Gaines, associate director of International Student and Scholar Services.

Twenty-five students who were informally interviewed gave their reasons for coming to the United States to pursue their degrees. They expressed their feelings about living in a different country and suggested improvements the United States could make.

Foreign students, representing 96 countries, came to UH to earn a degree for different reasons.

Most hoped to use their American degree to find a better career in their homeland. "The political science program in the U.S. is much more developed than Korea," said Jyung Park, graduate political science student. "I can study more broadly and deeply in the U.S."

Park, whose goal is to become a university professor in Korea, said college students from Korea do not necessarily study harder in college. "The students are trained and developed during their primary and high school days. College is generally the enjoyment period."

Others blamed the limited school space in their country for their departure. They said they had to leave if they wanted to receive a higher level of education "There are not as many schools in Pakistan. You need to have very high grades before being accepted," said Babar Jamil, senior electrical engineering major.

Freedom was regarded by most as the best part of living in the United States. Jamil said he had to readjust his thinking when he went home to visit. "I had a hard time staying silent when I wanted to voice my opinion on something. It really bothered me and I felt like my creativity was dying," he said.

"People in America have freedom in everything, especially expression," said Jawon Kim, graduate accounting student.

Sports, cheap food and less traffic were also mentioned as the best things about living in the United States. "People always complain about the traffic in Houston, but in Korea it is much, much worse," said Junboum Park, graduate civil and environmental engineering student.

Crime was mentioned most as the worst aspect of living in Houston. "In Taiwan, we could go out in the middle of the night and not worry about anything. Here, I am scared to go out," said Chang-Yu Wang, graduate computer science student.

Of the improvements the United States can make, education faired the highest. "If Americans want to reduce the rate of criminals, they need to educate the people," said Wang.

International students are required to pay a one-time $40 orientation fee and a $60 international student service fee every semester. The services fee funds services in the office of international students, said Gaines.

Some international students disagree about the fairness of paying additional fees. "The fees are fair because my parents are not paying taxes here, so why should Americans pay for my education?" said Babar Jamil, senior electrical engineer major.

Jae-Jeung Rho, graduate industrial engineering student said he feels international students are taken advantage of because of the extra fees. "It's a necessary evil for foreign students," said Rho.

NAKED MEN, LOBSTERS, DORM FIGHTS, DRUNKS

CPS--Some of the best reading in the newspaper can be found in the small print, especially since new federal rules have eased restriction on the release of university crime statistics.

The "crime beat" sections of college newspapers, detailing police reports of real and suspected criminal activity, can give readers a whole new perspective on what's really happening, both on and off campus.

College Press service has been keeping track this fall of the oddest, funniest and most interesting items in police reports on student behavior, which are being passed along to the readers:

<i>Good grief! This is a crime?<p>

"9-11-92 . . . A student was issued a warning for irresponsible hosting after a guest of his walked unannounced into a dormitory room. . . . 9-20-92. A security officer on patrol in the commons at 3:07 a.m. found that someone had pulled a large potted tree from its container and had strewn its contents around the commons area."--Lake Forest College Stentor, Illinois.

<i>Ossifer, it was only a joke<p>

"Oct. 4. Police were called to Sackett Hall regarding a loud female knocking on doors. The suspect, found passed out on the floor in a hallway wing, was awakened, cited and released." -- The Daily Barometer, Oregon State University

"A 20-year-old UA student was cited on a minor in possession of alcohol charge Sunday. A UAPD office stopped (the man) at 1:35 a.m. after he fell down and rolled into the southbound lane at North Cherry Avenue and East Second Street . . ." -- The Daily Wildcat, University of Arizona.

Report of an interfraternity brawl: "According to a campus police report, 'A great deal of the fighting was going on between Sigma Chi and Kappa Sigma, Sigma Alpha Epsilon and Phi Delta Theta, Sigma Alpha Epsilon and Kappa Sigma, with Lambda Chi Alpha in the middle and Phi Gamma Delta members instigating on the side.' The fighting got out of control and police officers 'neutralize the brawl with six consecutive bursts of aerosol tear gas over the heads of the crowd.'" --The Daily Lobo, University of New Mexico

"The East Lansing Police Department said they were called to the scene of a fight between two males who were biting each other. One male had the lower portion of his ear bitten through and the other had bite wounds on his leg and back, police said." -- The State News, Michigan State University

"UF police have recommended charges be pressed against two Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity members in connection with a burglary of the Lambda Chi Alpha fraternity house . . . Three leather couches and an oil painting of Lambda Chi Alpha's coat of arms, valued at $1,100 were reported stolen . . ." -- The Florida Independent Alligator, University of Florida.

<i>Huh?<p>

"Sept. 16. 8:43 a.m. CIESEN building. Suspicious person complaint. (12) dozen roses sent to personnel. Note: Roses are red, violets are blue, say CIESEN how about a job for me from you?" -- The Valley Vanguard, Saginaw Valley State University Mich.

"Saturday night a dog was removed from the chancellor's house by ASU police," Appalachian State University, Boone, N.C.

"(A woman) reported vandalism to her vehicle, which was scratched up and down the sides and the word 'whore' was on the driver's side. (The woman) stated that she had gotten into a fight with a female by the name of Tiffany, last name unknown, who claimed to be Miss MTSU . . ." --Sidelines, Middle Tennessee State University

"A student was charged with possession of a weapon on campus after caller reported the student shooting a bow and arrow outside of East Hall." The Appalachian, Appalachian, State University, Boon, N.C.

<i>A story in and of itself<p>

"Sept. 17. 5:25 p.m. Dorm area. Male visiting female. Argument ensued. Male struck brick wall. Broke two fingers. Treated at St. Luke's." -- The Valley Vanguard, Saginaw Valley State University, Mich.

"Oct. 2, 8:30 a.m. While in the library a student was approached by a suspicious man. He began harassing her and grabbed hold of her feet. She yelled and left the scene." -- The Griffin, Canisius College, New York.

<i>At least cook 'em first<p>

"Sunday morning Oct. 11, two hungry UCSB students were arrested for the theft of three lobsters after conducting a raid on commercial traps off Del Playa Drive. The two males, in their early 20s, were taken into custody and booked for a court appearance. Their names are being withheld by university police." -- The Daily Nexus, University of California, Santa Barbara

<i>Overexposed<p>

"A 21-year-old student reported seeing an exposed male drive past her on Maple Street. The incident occurred at 9 p.m. on Aug. 17 outside the Chi Omega sorority house. Lt. Mike Terry, UA Police Department, said that apparently the driver was already exposed before he drove past the sorority house." -- The Arkansas Traveler, University of Arkansas

<i>No rush . . . really<p>

"Sept. 21, 2:12 p.m. Two female students reported they had been receiving annoying phone calls since early in the semester." -- Northwest Missourian, Northwest Missouri State University

<i>I hate that when it happens<p>

Report of a dormitory fight between members of two groups: "One member, an ex-roommate of one of the males, tried to get into the room. Once he got into the room he was confronted by a 2-by-4 piece of wood. The male with the 2-by-4 was then pushed into a closet and struck with a closed fist by the other male. No charges have been filed at this time." The Eastern Echo, Eastern Michigan University

<i>Dude! Fellini couldn't have filmed it better<p>

Report on an Oct. 4 fight between two young men "clad in 1970s clothes" who had just gone to a disco party and some surfer toughs who accosted them afterward: "According to police files, several males began to yell rude comments at the pair, such as, 'I'm going to piss on your head.' The two disco strollers then turned and walked toward the bluff where the offending persons stood.

"A stocky young man stood near a parked car next to the blufftop's edge. As (one party-goer) was about to ask what the rudeness was all about, the man leaning out of the car allegedly hit him from behind on the right side of his mouth, knocking his front tooth out and cutting his lip. According to the police report, the tooth flew out of (the man's) mouth and was picked up by one of the assailant's friends. Threatening to further harm the victim, the thief refused to give back the tooth. The suspect, described as a 'typical Santa Barbara surfer' was 6'0", 200 lbs. and was said to be very stocky." --The Daily Nexus, University of California, Santa Barbara.

LAUGHTER MAY NOT BE BEST MEDICINE; DR. GIGGLES SUFFERS FROM AILING PLOT

by Tiffany Rather

Don't laugh if you get sick and have to see the doctor, especially if he calls himself Dr. Giggles - he's just the latest crazy maniac to hit the film scene.

Don't be surprised if you, along with the rest of the audience, find yourself more repulsed by the corny lines than the supposedly horrific scenes attempted by the insane lead character in <i>Dr. Giggles<p>.

The movie is developed from an over-used plot in horror films -- a crazy man escapes a from mental institution, promises to take revenge on those who have mocked him and then is killed by the hero or heroine.

There you have the whole cheap plot, so you don't have to waste six or seven dollars on a ticket.

Dr. Giggles falls in the category of the infamous insane actors like Jason of the many <i>Friday the 13ths<p>. He gets burned, stabbed, shot and is still able to stand straight up on both feet without stumbling.

However, the wild doctor meets his match when he tries to tangle with the heroine, a high school girl named Jenny who is suffering from heart problems.

The doctor thinks he's just the one to save Jenny from her heart condition by trying to transplant hearts from his victims into her. However, Jenny has other ideas.

Jenny manages to bring Dr. Giggles down by frying him, sending a wave of electricity through his body. Then, the doctor falls and lands on one of his sharp medical instruments he used to kill his victims.

The instrument went straight through the doctor, but who's to say the guy is dead? You can never tell in movies that are more funny than scary.

If you're thinking about going to see <i>Dr. Giggles<p>, it's best to wait until it's a 99 video.

IMAX WARMS UP TO ANTARCTICA

by Eva Marusak

Imagine standing in the middle of the world's driest desert. The harsh wind blows across this, the largest of all deserts, biting at your exposed face and freezing the very breath you exhale. You gaze blearily at the snow-covered land and watch as titanic icebergs make their slow journey through icy waters. Welcome to "Antarctica."

Few Houstonians can appreciate the true majesty and severity of snow and ice. In a city where the average temperature and humidity hover somewhere in the mid 80s, snow rarely falls and ice has a scant chance of forming. "Antarctica," the latest IMAX film, currently shown at the Museun of Natural Science, brings you deep into the heart of this fantastic continent.

"Antarctica" introduces you to its varied inhabitants (of which humans are an endangered species) ranging from the tallest, the three-foot-high Emperor penguins, to the largest, the four-ton plus Southern elephant seals, to the absolute smallest, four-centimeter-long krill. Its only permanent inhabitant is a wingless fly.

Divers take you six feet below the ice sheet where Emperor penguins swoop through the freezing waters leaving bubbly trails behind. It's a place where, if you're not careful, you may just get a mouthful of penguin upon surfacing.

The film's cinematography is breathtaking. Helicopters take you above and across the seemingly endless expanse of snow and ice. There's no yellow or mucked-out snow to be found here! This snow is so pure it reflects the perfect blue of the sky and intensifies the sun's reflection so much that, even watching on film, it brings tears to your eyes.

One exceptionally good segment is filmed with a camera flying over natural "lakes" that form on top and inside of glaciers. From above, these crystalline blue waters look impenetrable, but upon closer inspection, these crystal clear waters appear shallow and lifeless.

Actually taking a dive into these lakes prove all previous assumptions wrong. Although the clarity remains true, these lakes reach depths of over 60 feet and are teeming with tiny invertebrates.

Adventure seekers will enjoy diving into the Chaos Glacier. Never before has anyone ever seen or explored this cave. Specially adapted cameras were used for this extremely cold and treacherous shot beneath and between the icy glacier.

Delicate ice crystals clung to the sides of this monstrous cavern and deep blue waters stretched far beneath the divers. After completing the dive, the glacier shifted its million-ton weight and the lake disappeared.

Antarctica's beauty and almost unspoiled ecosystem are protected by the Antarctic Treaty ratified in 1961. The treaty declares Antarctica its own territory and prohibits the testing of any weapons, nuclear explosions or disposal of radioactive wastes. Over forty countries have signed the treaty thus far and others are sure to follow.

Unfortunately, what's happening to Antarctica now was not started there and cannot be stopped there. The ever-widening ozone hole is caused by factors thousands of miles to the north. If we hope to save ourselves and our future, we have to start now and we have to start in our last bastion of relatively unspoiled land -- Antarctica.

BOO RADLEYS SCARE UP A FOLLOWING; BAND EMBARKS ON AN AMERICAN TOUR

by Jeff Balke

The Boo Radleys took a novel approach to the age-old task of choosing a name for their band. They used the name of an albino character from Harper Lee's celebrated novel, <i>To Kill A Mockingbird<p>.

Tim Brown, the bassist for the band, said, "We were sitting in a pub one day and we needed a name. We had all read the book (<i>To Kill A Mockingbird<p>) in school and that name (Boo Radley) was the most tasteful of the lot."

The Boo Radleys, consisting of guitarist Martin Carr, drummer Rob Cieka, vocalist Sice and Brown, formed in Liverpool, England when the band members were still in high school.

Now, in their early twenties, the Boo Radleys already have four independent EP's released in England and, now, a world-wide full length LP on Columbia titled, <i>Everything's Alright Forever<p>.

Though the Boos (a nickname affectionately given to them by their fans) are from Liverpool, like their predecessors the Beatles, Brown is quick to point out that the band's influences are not limited to England. "We all loved bands like the Beatles and other bands from Liverpool like Teardrop Explosion, but there are a hell of a lot of good American bands as well," he said.

The Boos' influences range from jazz to pop, and they have been compared to a variety of pop and rock bands like the Byrds and My Bloody Valentine.

Brown admits the band's not-so-auspicious musical beginnings may have resembled some other bands, but now he feels the band has taken a more original turn. "When we first started, we were really into bands like My Bloody Valentine and Dinosaur Junior and that was one of the reasons we got going because we were into that kind of music. Since then, we've developed our own identity," he said.

The Boos favor diversity in their music as is apparent on <i>Everything's Alright Everywhere<p>. Brown said, "We never want to repeat ourselves. We try to make every track on the album different to keep it interesting for ourselves as well as for those listening."

The Boos have been on their first American tour the past three weeks. The tour will continue for three more weeks, and then it's back to England. Brown and the rest of the band really want the support of American listeners. "We want to be successful everywhere. Hopefully we'll get more popular and sell millions and millions of records," he said.

On this tour, the Boos have been the supporting act for Sugar. The road, evidently, has begun to take its toll on the band, however. "We're only twenty-three but we look like we are forty," Brown said.

Exhaustion is not the only thing with which the band has to contend. The few shows they have done on their own have been nothing less than disastrous. "We played in Pensacola, Florida and the main problem there was that there were only three people at the show. It was raining. It was a terrible night," he said.

Hopefully, the Boo Radleys' show with Sugar at the Vatican tonight will be attended by a few more people than the show in Florida.

EDUCATION IMFORMATION AVAILABLE IN SPANISH - ON TV

by Shannon Najar

Information on higher education is available in both Spanish and English through <i>ADELANTE,<p> a new television show produced by the Mexican-American Studies Program at UH.

"The focus of <i>ADELANTE<p> is to educate the Latino community on the different services and activities offered here at UH," said Laura Gonzales, Mexican-American Studies Program coordinator.

<i>ADELANTE<p> is funded by ACCESS Houston and is taped on campus at the Texas Center for Superconductivity. <i>ADELANTE,<p> hosted by Gonzales, airs at 9:30 p.m. Thursdays on ACCESS cable.

The program is bilingual because most of the usual information about the university and its services is in English and many Latino families only speak Spanish. Also, the program hopes to spark interest among young Latinos to learn their native language, Spanish, Gonzales said.

"The program is aimed at Latino high school students and their parents, so they will be better informed about issues such as higher education, that affect them," she said.

<I>ADELANTE<P> also deals with issues that affect the Latino community, such as voting, gang involvement, G.E.D. preparation and the high dropout rate for Latino students.

<I>ADELANTE<P> has received a positive response so far, with various high school teachers and counselors asking for copies of the program to show to their students, Gonzales said. "Our goal is to make sure the Latino community is informed and that they know how to put this information to use," she said.

BRIEFS

Symphony

The Houston Symphony Chorus will hold a special audition for new members on Friday, Nov. 13 at UH. The chorus, which is the official choral unit of the Houston Symphony, is increasing its membership and has openings in all vocal parts.

The audition requirements include vocalization, sight-reading and a two-minute prepared solo in any language.

For an audition appointment or more information call Chorus Manager Marilyn Dyess at 224-4240.

Media

A media briefing is scheduled today by the UH Center for Public Policy at 11:15 a.m to help reporters fully understand the economic predictions being unveiled at 12 noon by UH Economics Professor Barton Smith at the Harris, J.W. Marriot Hotel.

The briefing will also take place at the hotel.

Conference

UH will host the Eleventh International Conference of the Charles Homer Haskins Society for Viking, Anglo-Saxon, Anglo-Norman and Angevin History on Nov. 13-15 at the Allen Park Inn.

The International conference will commemorate the 500th anniversary of the Spanish-Italian "re-discovery" of America by focusing on the theme "Medieval Journeys of Discovery: Pre-Columbian European Explorers."

For more information, call History Professor Sally Vaughn at 743-3122 or 743-3008.

Speaker

One of America's most distinguished scientists and a Nobel Laureate, Professor Linus Pauling, will deliver a lecture on "How to Make Discoveries" as part of the UH Inventive Minds Speakers Series.

The lecture is scheduled for 7 p.m., Tuesday, Nov. 10, in the Grand Ballroom of University Hilton Hotel. Admission is free.

TO GET AHEAD, STUDENTS COMBINE WORK AND SCHOOL

by Karen Newstadt

(CPS) -- It's a sign of the times. Many of today's recession-stressed students are combining academics and work so they can hang out a shingle immediately after graduation or move quickly into permanent employment.

"Co-oping" is not just for poor students. More middle-class students struggling with rising college costs are opting to work in their fields, even if it takes longer to earn a degree.

"Co-op is defined as a full-time paid work experience directly related to a student's field of study, alternating periods of full-time work with periods of full-time academic work," said Manny Contomanolis, director of cooperative education and placement at Rochester Institute of Technology.

Contomanolis notes that there are exceptions to this conservative definition of co-op education, including part-time work and part-time academic schedules, as well as a few non-paid work experiences.

The list of companies playing the work-study game reads like a who's who in America's corporate world, including Eastman Kodak, Texas Instruments, Xerox, IBM, Hilton Hotels, General Motors, Kraft-General Foods and UPS.

The co-op experiences don't stop in the United States, either. American business and travel/tourism students have taken part in co-op programs abroad, most recently at the new Euro-Disney in France. Developing nations, the People's Republic of China, Malaysia and Indonesia are examples of countries that are opening doors to work-study students.

"Co-oping has survived two wars and a depression, and while the recession makes it tough, in the log run it will grow because it provides access to education for all people," sad Sam Sovilla, a director of professional practice at the University of Cincinnati, who has been working with co-op programs for 20 years.

While the academic-employment route is an option at most colleges and universities, only 10 schools in this country require students to fulfill on-the-job assignments.

Work assignments for most co-op students can be part-time or full-time, paid or unpaid, can last from three to 15 months and can be in virtually any kind of business or industry.

Corporations, government agencies, non-profit groups and even mom-and-pop operations welcome co-op students because they do work that frees up other employees and meet fluctuating staffing needs.

Officials say co-op students draw fair wages, often much higher than the minimum wage. Companies usually pay the student a percentage of what they would pay a new graduate that year.

For example, a sophomore might make 40 percent of that figure, while a senior might make 80 percent.

"Our average annual earnings last year were $8,166 for six months of work. We demand a reasonable wage for the job. We feel that makes it 'real world,' " Sovilla said.

Running a top-flight co-op program can be costly, however, and many of the best programs have felt the recession's squeeze. This year, there are 700 co-op programs throughout the United States, almost one-third less than the 1,000 programs available several years ago when federal grant money was easier to get.

In 1906, the University of Cincinnati gave birth to America's first co-op program when a dean of engineering thought classroom experience was too theoretical for aspiring engineers.

The renegade dean found that his concept of combing industry and education was a hard sell: the school's board of trustees forced him to sign a document stipulating that the failure of the program belonged to the dean, not the board.

Today, more than eight decades later, the University of Cincinnati's thriving education program has 4,056 students, which is equal to 50 percent of eligible students, and only half are in the field of engineering or the hard sciences.

The school's co-op students work three months, then spend three months in an academic setting. A typical student will graduate, after five years, with six work quarters.

The Rochester Institute of Technology offers paid co-ops, available through industry contacts in dozens of fields, to 2,600 students annually. The program, which is the fourth oldest and fifth largest in the world, attracts more than 1,400 employers nationwide.

RIT has mandatory co-op programs for all engineering and computer science students.

"RIT doesn't 'place' students. If a company calls us and says, 'I need an engineer,' we don't pull a student out of a hat. We teach students the skills they need to be successful in the career search," Contomanolis said.

In some cases, field work at RIT means to "create your own job" and many students step outside the norms of co-op work via independent studies and internships, devoting a quarter or more to working in the field for little or no pay.

"We provide an employer with credentials of qualified students when they come to recruit," Contomanolis said. "All our job listings, all our information, is available electronically to our students."

Recruits begin work in a less-than-entry-level position, with succeeding assignments requiring more competence and responsibility.

While some students may have to scrimp to get by financially, they often get breaks such as housing, benefits and tuition while on assignment. Often, a company will pay a student's relocation expenses.

Students often share apartments and transportation while on a cooperative education assignment. "It's amazing how resourceful students can be while co-oping," Contomanolis said.

Co-op students gain valuable experiences that otherwise would not be available to them, and not always in a corporate setting.

For example, Philip Arche, an RIT photojournalism student, learned a lot about excellence during a recent internship with The Associated Press' Cairo, Egypt, bureau.

Arche took the advice of the bureau's chief photographer and traveled to the Turkish border -- with AP press credentials and several hundred dollars in his pocket -- to photograph the refugee camps on the Turkey-Iraq border.

The experience resulted in a photograph that won a grand prize awarded by an international photography magazine.

TWENTYSOMETHING YOUTH SHUN 'PUT ON A TIE' JOBS

by Shawn Emery

(CPS)-Each generation fervently strives to establish the separation between young and old. In the 1950's, it was the Beats; the 1960s produced hippies. Now "Generation X" is groping for recognition in the 1990s.

The twenty something generation is comprised of 48 million Americans ages 20 to 30. Shaped by their parents, who came of age in '60s radicalism, this generation is an enigma, full of conflicting desires and needs.

Twentysomethings shun materialism, yet they seek the comfort that it brings; they are suspicious of the status quo, but unsure how to change it. They are media savvy, sophisticated, open to change and scornful of the excesses of '80s. Torn between the opposing forces of making money and doing philanthropic work, Generation X recoils to a simpler life and closer relationship to the land.

Many in their 20s postpone growing up, leaving home and starting careers. Traveling to exotic locales or joining the Peace Corps seem more worthwhile. When a career move is made, job satisfaction is at least as important as a paycheck, perhaps more so.

"Students feel things are different now. They feel pressure to make a living," says sociologist Wini Breinest, who teaches a class on the 1960s at Northeastern University in Massachusetts. "There's still that wishfulness and nostalgia about the '60s, when people had more time to act on social problems."

Yet twentysomethings share many of the same frustrations as youth in the '60s. In that decade, the Vietnam War created a counterculture that proclaimed contempt for mainstream society. Activism, new birth-control methods and later marriages resulted in declining birthrates.

As a result, twentysomethings have been overshadowed by the 72 million baby boomers born between 1946 and 1964, a group whose sheer numbers have defined social institutions as they squeezed through them.

The twentysomethings also are savvy enough to know that boomers wield the power, particularly in the business world, and will continue to do so for some time. That means the average college graduate today has much less mobility in moving up the career ladder, a fact that many twentysomethings find depressing because they're not sure what opportunities - if any - are out there for them.

In 1991, author Douglas Coupland published "Generation X." It was the first novel to capture the irreverent angst of the twentysomething generation faced with "McJobs," defined as "low paying, low status, low future."

Now TV, newspapers and magazines voice the discontent of the new generation. Movies like "Singles" and TV shows such as "Melrose Place," "Going To Extremes" "The Round Table," "The Heights" are examining twentysomething attitudes about marriage, careers, education and politics.

Two Harvard graduates recently launched Blast, a slick magazine targeted at the twentysomething crowd. Lukas Barr, 23, and Sean Gullette, 24, were literature and philosophy majors who grew bored with their studies and started publishing a student pop culture magazine.

In the words of their own publication, "Blast is the magazine of today's strange breed of youth: typically overeducated and under-estimated, smart, postmodern in consciousness, laid-back and edgy. Ours is a new sensibility, a fin-de-siecle cool-culture renaissance from the ashes of the American Dream - and maybe a new Dream for the 21st Century."

"The baby-boom generation came of age in a really exciting time. They had power. There were so many young people they could have a mass movement," Barr said. "In the '80s we had the epitome of a Max Headroom presidency, Ronald Reagan. It's sort of hard to take at face value. I think that explains why a media-savvy approach toward our generation tends to work."

The general discontent with business-as-usual sends shivers up the spines of twentysomethings when a career is mentioned. Their biggest dread: dead-end office jobs with cubicle seating arrangements.

"We're not willing to go out and get a straight put-on-the-tie-in-the-morning job. People are thinking a lot more about what they're getting out of their jobs and are not so willing to fall into a pattern," Barr said.

For example, 24-year-old Denise Hall describes her position in a large Boston financial company as "meaningless."

"I want to do something to help people, not just make a corporation money," she said, echoing a twentysomething desire to weaken reliance on the old ways and become successful entrepreneurs.

"They feel like that because they want to do something, to make a difference. Money isn't that important. That's not what I'm after in life," said Hall, a graduate of Siena College in New York.

Many realize that college degrees aren't tickets into high-paying jobs and only a master's or post-graduate work ensures stability. Consequently, the twentysomething generation is one of the best educated generations in history, with 59 percent of 1988 high school graduates in college.

"My college degree did pretty much nothing for me," said Hall, another common sentiment among graduates who are vainly beating the pavement for jobs.

One result is that the umbilical cord to the family is staying intact longer. "Most of my friend's parents are supporting them to some extent financially," said Paul Robertson, 24 a graduate of William and Mary College in Virginia.

High in Manhattan's maze of glass towers, 25-year-old Lara Jakubowski works 80 to 90 hours per week at Lehman Brothers as an investment banker. She is a bright Ivy Leaguer chosen for a competive two-year training position. She also is something of a black sheep among the twentysomething crowd.

"I certainly have friends who would not be happy doing the same thing I've done," said Jakubowski, a University of Pennsylvania economics graduate.

On the political front, youth who matured in the '80s are looking for handholds to pull themselves out of apathy. They realize the benefits of involvement, but feel defeated by the enormity of social cancers -- drugs, AIDS, national debt, homelessness and threats to the environment.

"People are cynical about politics, for good reason. There was a certain kind of idealism (in the '60s) they don't have now. They feel overwhelmed," Breinst of Northeastern says.

Many twentysomethings want progressive change that will shake up the status quo, but many feel they don't have as much time, political power or focus as their '60s counterparts.

"I'm not out to save the world ... because there's too much to surmount," Robertson said.

This year's unusual presidential election is prompting increasing numbers of young people to shed their political apathy. Rock The Vote has registered 225,000 voters. Still, there is an expectation of disappointment.

Jonathan Cohn, an assistant editor of The American Prospect, a political quarterly based in Cambridge, Mass., wrote a July 20, 1992 essay in Newsweek in which he explained his generation's general lack of interest in the political process.

Twentysomethings came of age in the 1980s, under the Republican administrations of Ronald Reagan and George Bush, and did not have the influence of John Kennedy's call for public service and Franklin Roosevelt's New Deal programs, he noted.

"Those of us in our 20s have never seen the federal government do something so inspiring or productive. Indeed, we've never seen it work at all," Cohn wrote.

Family is another area where Generation X differs. Many twentysomethings were latch-key children, tended by the flickering tube while their parents worked. Now many young people stress their willingness to make sacrifices to raise their children -- if and when they have them. They opt for a more conservative approach that harkens back to their grandparents.

"I think that close, stronger relationships with family are important because the world's really tough out there," Hall said.

But twentysomethings also are delaying marriage in favor of casual dating. "What's the rush?" describes how many young adults feel toward marriage, recalling the high divorce rate among their parents.

But sexual freedom can be difficult choice, considering the specter of AIDS.

"With AIDS you can't play the field anymore," Hall said.

"People date less. They want to shop around and be happy with that. Everyone is sort of confused," Robertson said.

Twentysomethings have one thing in common with their '60s parents -- a similar restlessness about the state of the world coupled with a distrust of institutions, including popular media.

"A lot of suspicion toward mainstream culture is a healthy thing. That's sort of the hallmark of Generation X," Barr said.