DAVALOS STILL A COUGAR, TURNS DOWN UNM OFFER

by Keith Rollins

UH's Athletic Director Rudy Davalos decided New Mexico's job offer wasn't good enough to make him leave Houston.

On Wednesday, Davalos, who reportedly had the job if he wanted it, withdrew his name from the Albuquerque school's list of possible AD replacements.

"New Mexico has a great potential and I looked at it as an outstanding opportunity. However, my wife and I find it very difficult to relocate from Houston," Davalos said.

He also said that the $25 million donated to the Athletic Department by UH alumni John and Rebecca Moores had a great impact on his decision to stay. The money will be used to construct a state-of-the-art athletic facility, baseball stadium, tennis courts, and to renovate existing offices and locker rooms.

"That (the donation) had a big effect on my choice. That has a great deal to do with it," Davalos said.

Davalos met with New Mexico officials, staff and boosters last Friday and Saturday. He was reportedly the front- runner for the job.

After the interview, Davalos was asked if he would leave UH for New Mexico. He told reporters that "it's not a matter of leaving UH, it's kind of a unique situation (at New Mexico). It would be a situation any AD would love jumping into."

Davalos' temptations were bolstered by New Mexico's financially sound athletic program, one of only a few in the country that operates in the black. The Lobos also do not have to compete for attention in a city filled with professional teams, as is the case in Houston.

Another factor could have been that New Mexico simply did not offer Davalos enough money. Davalos is currently in his second year of his four-year contract with UH that is worth $108,000 a year. New Mexico's AD, Gary Ness, is under contract through the remainder of the year for approximately $83,000. Davalos would not comment on the matter.

An additional determining factor could have been that Davalos would have had to retract his position on the NCAA Division I men's basketball committee if he moved to New Mexico.

He said he had "a very strong comfort zone at the University of Houston," and he "always enjoyed the Houston area."

Davalos was responsible for hiring Head Football Coach John Jenkins in 1990 and ladies' Head Basketball Coach Jesse Kenlaw. In 1985 he was also instrumental in hiring Pat Foster, the men's basketball coach.

Davalos started at UH in 1985 as the associate athletic director. He left the next year to go to the San Antonio Spurs of the National Basketball Association and be-came their director of community relations and radio color commentator. But Houston's AD at the time, Tom Ford, accepted a job at Cal-Irvine University and Davalos was re-hired to fill the void. He has been with Houston ever since.

His career as an athletic administrator began in 1975. The University of Texas-San Antonio hired Davalos as its athletic director. He ended his nine-year term with the Roadrunners in 1985 to join UH.

In his college days at Southwest Texas State, Davalos captained his team to the 1960 NAIA national championship. He was later inducted to the NAIA Basketball Hall of Fame in 1977 and SWTS Hall of Fame in 1983.

*******************************************************

NOBEL PRIZE WINNER SPEAKS ON CAMPUS

by Kim Copelin

Government authorities are planning to regulate vitamin distribution because they pose a financial threat to pharmaceutical houses, said Linus Pauling, Nobel Laureate.

Pauling has been lambasted by some medical journals for making such statements, but the distinguished 91-year-old scientist received a standing ovation when he entered the UH Hilton Grand Ballroom Tuesday.

The more vitamins sold, the more money drug industries lose, said Pauling, who has made important discoveries in quantum mechanics, biochemistry and the nutritional treatment of cancer and heart disease.

"Mega-vitamins constitute a great threat to the drug business. One gram of vitamin-C costs 2 cents. Drugs are perhaps $2 a tablet," Pauling said at a press conference at his hotel prior to his appearance at the UH Hilton.

Regulating the distribution of vitamins would be a disaster to the health of Americans because the cost of vitamins would increase, Pauling said. The intake of vitamins would drop and people would suffer and die as a result, he said.

While Pauling can't control government regulation, he explained how he controls himself and the discovery process.

The primary way to make discoveries is by thinking about problems and ways to solve them, and living the kind of life that would permit you to do this, Pauling said.

"Find out what you like to do best," he said, "and then find out if you can make a living doing that.

"Also, look around at members of the opposite sex and keep your wits about you. Finally, when you're still quite young, find one with whom you want to live all your life."

Training your subconscious to think about problems is another technique which helps people make discoveries, Pauling said.

Thinking about problems before going to bed is one way Pauling developed this technique.

"I found that by doing this, I trained my unconscious mind to think about the problem. It kept it in mind and sent instructions to my unconscious mind that whenever anything new enters my head to examine this novelty in relation with the problem," Pauling said.

"Professor Pauling is one who defies the covenant wisdom of not falling into the pitfall of jack of all trades and master of none," said Paul Chu, of the Texas Center for Superconductivity. "He is indeed a scientist of many fields and master of all of them." the former Pauling student said.

Having knowledge of several fields of science aided Pauling in his research.

Pauling's research into the nature of the chemical bond is the discovery for which he would most like to be remembered.

"I've been told that my research was responsible for changing what had been biochemistry into a real science of chemistry. Before, it was just largely a collection of empirical facts," he said.

Pauling was not interested in biochemistry but decided he had to develop interest in the subject in order to receive grants from research institutes.

Pauling is the only man to receive two unshared Nobel prizes. He received the Nobel prize for chemistry in 1954.

He wrote the nuclear bomb testing petition in 1961, which was signed by 11,021 renowned scientists from all over the world and sent to the United Nations. This won him 1963's Nobel Peace Prize.

"There is no doubt that passing that treaty saved the lives of about 1,000,000 unborn children, who otherwise would have been defected if they even survived, and 100,000 people who otherwise would have developed cancer," Pauling said.

He was also listed with Albert Einstein, Charles Darwin and Isaac Newton in the New Scientist's list as one of the 20 greatest scientists who ever lived and has been recognized as one of two eminent scientists of the 20th century.

Pauling will continue research into treatments for heart disease as a research professor in the Linus Pauling Institute of Science and Medicine in Palo Alto, California.

He is included with Albert Einstein, Charles Darwin and Isaac Newton in the New Scientist's list of the 20 greatest scientists who ever lived.

CLOSE, BUT NO CIGAR FOR COUGAR VOLLEYBALL

Only two points separated the Lady Cougars volleyball team from winning its first SWC title last night at Hofhienz Pavilion.

For the 11th straight year the Texas Longhorns took home the SWC honors.

Unlike the the last time the Cougars and Longhorns met, the Lady Cougars were not going to let Texas take them down in the three straight games. Instead, Houston fought Texas hard and pushed them to five games.

Houston now has an 8-2 record and proudly claims the second place berth in the SWC.

Texas has a 9-1 SWC record and the top spot in the SWC tournament. The winners of the tournament determine the NCAA final qualifiers.

Texas Longhorn Volleyball Coach Mick Haley had some encouraging words for the Cougars.

"Houston is a very good team. They have a great group and Coach Walton has done a great job. If we play again, it will be very heated and exciting."

Coach Bill Walton, disappointed with the loss, looks to the future.

"Texas is going to have to play us again. It is very hard to beat the same team three times. If we could bottle the enthusiasm and play with it every match, we would be number two."

As a team and individually, the Lady Cougars shined. Lilly Denoon, Karina Faber and Janelle Harmonson led the rampage against Texas.

"We proved ourselves against Texas. When we play again, it will be different," said Karina Faber, who reached her 1,000 kill mark tonight with 14 kills.

"I think that tonight there was some excellent volleyball played. We just needed to be two points better," Faber said.

Lilly Denoon also played a strong game, recording 14 kills.

Edwina Ammonds and Denoon combined their talents and became a mighty wall blocking the Longhorn's hitting attempts. They posted a total of 14 blocks.

The match stretched to five emotional action-packed games. Texas and Houston traded their wins and losses. Texas won the first game 9-15. Houston charged back out to the court the second game and defeated the Horns 15-12.

The third game was also close for the two teams, but Texas came up with the win, 12-15.

It was no holds barred in the fourth and fifth games for the Cougars. They went out roaring like a mighty lion and swallowed the Longhorns 15-6, but lost in the rally match 15-17.

UH IN SPOILER MODE AGAINST AGS

by Keith Rollins

The Cougars will have to be in their spoiler mode tonight against the fourth-ranked team in the nation, the Texas A&M Aggies.

The Aggies are undefeated in nine games and have already taken care of four SWC teams. But Houston will not be deterred. The last time the Aggies visited the Dome, UH came out on top 36-31, and in Houston's last 25 games at the Dome, the team is 21-4.

"I'm glad it's in our backyard at the Astrodome," Head Coach John Jenkins said.

The Cougars have fallen to a low 3-5 record this season and must win the remaining games to keep from enduring their second losing season in a row.

Jenkins must wave his magic wand on his run-and-shoot offense in this game to have a whimper of a chance to win against the Aggies' "Wrecking Crew" defense.

QB Jimmy Klingler will again start for the Cougars, but John Jenkins said depending on the flow of the game, Donald Douglas will play "a great deal."

The two will head the Houston offensive attack that leads the SWC in yards-per-game at 473.8, which is third in the NCAA. Klingler and Douglas have combined for 2,924 yards through the air, putting them at the top of that NCAA category.

Texas A&M has its own statistics to gloat over, too, but on the defensive side of the ball.

With Butkus Award finalist Marcus Buckley at the helm of the defense, the Aggies are the stingiest squad in the conference. Texas A&M allows only 284.6 yards a game which puts them 12th in national listings. But the stat that stands out the most to the Cougars is the Ags' especially tough pass defense. Only 159.1 yards per game have been recorded upstairs against them.

Jenkins expects a different type of defense employed by A&M to stop the run-and-shoot.

"Their defense is aggressive, as they have been in the past, but they seem to be playing more zone coverage than I have ever seen them play," Jenkins said. "We are expecting to see more zone defense from these guys."

Houston's Defensive Coordinator, Melvin Robertson, who was responsible for A&M's tough defenses in the early '70s, will have to rely on his standout linebacking corps to stop the Aggies one-two punch running attack.

When Greg Hill and Rodney Thomas line up in the backfield at the same time, Aggie Head Coach R. C. Slocum calls it his "Lion" offense. So far this season, the tandem has roared for 177.6 yards per game.

Jenkins knows that the game's outcome will hinge on Houston's defensive ability to stop the duo.

"That (the Ags' running game) is something we have to stay on top of every play. There can be no casual approach and no relaxation as far as taking a play off because that is how A&M has been able to win this year -- with their steady ground game," Jenkins said.

Houston will face a team that mirrors its own quarterback situation. With Jeff Granger's relative ineffectiveness starting to wear on his coaches, true freshman Corey Pullig may get the nod against Houston. Last week, with Granger temporarily sidelined, Pullig paced the Aggies to a 40-18 win over the Louisville Cardinals.

If the Cougars beat A&M, the Aggies can kiss any hopes of a national championship goodbye. With only three games to go before bowl games, the Aggies need to win against UH, TCU and Texas.

After the Aggie game, Houston travels to Lubbock to take on the Red Raiders and will be back at home to conclude the season with a Nov. 28 game against Rice.