SFAC PREPARES FOR BUDGET CUT BLUES

by Karen Snelling

Student-service-fee funded units will have a chance to request more funding when they present their 1993-94 budget proposals in February to the Student Fee Advisory Committee.

SFAC, composed of student and faculty members, makes recommendations on the distribution of student fees to support such units as the University Center, Student's Association, Intramurals and Recreation and Child Care Center.

Willie Munson, dean of students and SFAC advisor, said SFAC members use cost-plus budgeting to make recommendations for budget proposals, which means they first consider the respective group's last year budget and then either increase or decrease it.

Texas universities will soon face budget cuts from Austin. Munson said these cuts could affect student service fees if UH doesn't continue to receive state money to fund university offices such as the Career Planning and Placement Center and the Dean's Office of Student Affairs.

UH administration might consider increasing student fees to help maintain these offices, he added.

Although student-service-fee funded groups aren't guaranteed money, groups funded in the past usually continue to receive money, Munson said. "It would take something really strange for us not to give any money at all to budgets we've approved of in the past," he said.

Rodger Peters, a graduate biology student and SFAC chairman, said along with listening to groups present budget proposals, members occasionally visit facilities to see if special projects proposed in budgets are actually needed.

SFAC can also make recommendations to allocate student fees to a group's special one-time project. Last year, SFAC approved repairing the Health Center's roof as a special project, Munson said.

Jeff Fuller, junior RTV major and voting member of SFAC, asked the committee if students who complain about paying for services they don't use can waive certain fees.

Susan Jackson, assistant director of Planning and Budget and SFAC advisor, said only in rare situations can students waive some of their service fees. For example, UH administration considers waiving fees for students who are under financial strains and faculty members who are taking classes, Jackson said.

Peter said student fees are necessary to help provide some of the services students need to help them graduate.

SFAC was established four years ago by former UH President Marguerite Barnett to advise the university's president on the allocation of student service fees.

SFAC meetings are open to students and faculty. The committee meets again at 1:30 p.m. on Nov. 20 at the University Center.

*******************************************************

WEATHER DELAYING COMPLETION OF NEW PARKING LOTS

by Melissa Neeley

Officials blame bad weather for the delay in constructing a parking lot that will accommodate 480 cars; it was to have been completed by fall semester.

"The weather has just desecrated our schedule. Because they're working in the ground, the machinery bogs down and makes big ruts, so productivity is low," said James Berry, associate vice chancellor of Facilities, Planning and Placement.

The new parking lot will be at the corner of Elgin and Cullen streets. Another parking lot is also under construction near McDonald's. The two lots can fit up to 600 cars, said Gerald Hagan, manager of Parking and Placement.

To build a good parking lot, workers must get as much of the soil out of the ground because it expands and contracts. They sprinkle lime in the soil to stabilize the moisture in the ground, and compact the soil with rollers, Berry said.

"When it's wet, this process can't happen. A lot of times people ask themselves, since it isn't a rainy day, why aren't people working on the lots? It's because the ground is still wet and workers have to wait until the ground gets reasonably dry to get back to their jobs," he said.

The timely process of re-constructing the Cullen Fountain took longer than expected because of poor weather conditions, Berry said.

At the Parking and Transportation Center, students have not made any complaints, and instead are thankful more parking lots will be available soon, Hagan said.

"We haven't been receiving many complaints because we're not observing as much congestion on campus as we have in the past. We don't have as many students on campus at one time because of scheduling," he said.

Although the parking lots' completion date has unofficially been moved up to the end of November or early December, weather conditions may cause further delays, Hagan said. The parking lots should be finished at least by the beginning of spring semester -- before the congestion builds up early in the semester, he said.

Parking lots are being built around campus, but other alternatives such as building a four-story garage might save time and money for students, Mitch Greene, a senior RTV major, said.

"UH owns land near the Optometry School. (Faculty) should build a multi-level parking garage and build it up as much as they need to. It's cheaper than building an athletic facility," he said.

Greene has been going to UH for three years and said the parking situation has not improved since he first attended. Instead, students are getting smarter about how and where they park, he added.

"Students are coming up with more creative ways to park, both legally and illegally. They park in the neighborhoods surrounding the campus and at restaurants by UH. It's still a nightmare sometimes, though," Greene said.

UH PART OF CONSORTIUM TO EVALUATE INNER-CITY MINORITY VIOLENCE

by Brett Lindsay

UH is part of a local consortium that has been awarded a five-year, $1.88 million grant by the Centers for Disease Control.

Houston was one of two cities picked nationwide to participate in a study evaluating youth violence.

The grant will be administered by Houston's Health and Human Services Department. The other consortium members are Texas Southern University, SHAPE Community Center, Tejano Center and the Houston Independent School District.

The project, "Youth Violence Prevention Programs," will focus on minority youth and will address violence and injury prevention, said Dr. Russell Jackson, UH director of the Institute for African American Policy Research.

The project concentrates on providing assistance in selected middle schools and their surrounding communities.

This project is about taking an active role in preventing violence by talking with the kids, Jackson said. Introducing peer leaders, trained in conflict resolution, will be one of its main assets.

In the first year of the program, three middle schools and their surrounding communities will be chosen as test areas. The peer and community leaders will come from these groups and will be trained at weekly meetings. "We'll give them skills and a group identity," Jackson said.

Between the second and fourth years the leaders will go out and work with the children and their parents. At the community level, the residents will be organized into advisory councils. They will address issues and come up with their own options, Jackson said.

UH's main focus will be the collection and evaluation of data in the fifth year. Jackson, working with students, will design and implement the quantitative evaluation of the program's impact. They will also prepare the annual and final reports on the findings. UH will receive $403,000 for its part in the project.

MADONNA'S SEX NOT SOUGHT BY UH LIBRARY

by Melinda McBride

While the outspoken local group Citizens against Pornography raises freedom of speech issues by trying to ban Madonna's <i>Sex<p> book in public libraries, UH library administrators are relaxed about their decision not to order the sexually explicit book of photographs.

"For us, it's not a question of banning the book," said Kathleen Gunning, M.D. Anderson's assistant director for public services. "We didn't order it because faculty members haven't indicated a need to use it to support research or instructional programs."

If UH faculty, working with their assigned librarian, decide <i>Sex<p> supports the curriculum and funds are available, Gunning said she would order it.

To date, not only have there been no faculty requests for the book, there haven't been any student requests to see the book, either, said Martha Steel, who regularly works the reference desk and is head of the library's access services.

Houston drew nationwide attention Nov. 10 when Geneva Kirk Brooks, president of Citizens against Pornography, spoke at a City Council meeting and pummelled the Houston Public Library Director David Henington. Brooks demanded <i>Sex<p> not be displayed in the library and called for Henington's resignation for ordering the book.

An anonymous donor gave the library funds to purchase four copies of the $49.95 <i>New York Times<p> bestseller. According to Brooks, community standards dictate where "obscenity is available to children, that's where the battle line has to be draw."

But she says she doesn't want the "vulgar, obscene, pornographic piece of trash" banned altogether. The non-practicing Texas certified teacher/superintendent believes sexually explicit material belongs in XXX shops for adults, not in the library where it's accessible to children.

"The book should be in a smut shop. That way they can do their orgasmic thing in a booth," she said in a phone interview during which she fielded calls from the <i>Maury Povich Show<p> and ABC radio news.

"If that Henington-director man brings that trash into the library, I want him fired," Brooks said. "And you know who's next? The mayor. He laughed at us when he said the director makes his own decisions about what to buy for the library."

And she's as serious about ousting the mayor as she is about keeping Madonna's book out of children's reach.

Brooks said in 1977 she successfully collected enough signatures to recall then-Houston mayor, Fred Hofheinz. She made an agreement with him not to pursue the recall if he wouldn't run for office for 10 years, she said. He agreed and stayed out of public office until his unsuccessful 1988 bid for mayor.

Brooks said she will coalesce her church-based group to recall Mayor Bob Lanier if he doesn't go along with CAP's Community Standard Resolution that could legally exclude <i>Sex<p> from the library.

Brooks, who founded CAP in 1975, drafted the resolution in 1978 outlining community standards as "particularly objectionable public portrayal of sodomy, masturbation, sado-masochistic acts and any lewd exhibition of the genitals." The resolution was passed by the City Council that year but is not legally binding.

"On the 24th, we intend to confront City Council again and ask them to do one simple thing," said Brooks. "We will ask them to change one word -- change resolution to ordinance and make our community standards ... make them the law of Houston."

But neither the public library nor the mayor is likely to give in to Brooks' religious organization's political assault.

"In the history of Houston Public Library, we have never banned a book or censored one by removing it from our shelves," said David Bates, HPL's public information officer.

However, because the library has received five formal written complaints about <i>Sex<p> not just being available but being accessible to members of all ages, their Reconsideration Committee is reviewing the decision to stock the four copies.

The committee will meet during the next two weeks and "that paralyzes us at this point," said Bates. "Even though the books are on back order and we don't know when they'll come in, if we got <i>Sex<p> in tomorrow, we couldn't make it available until the committee makes a decision."

Yet, because the committee is an advisory group, not a governing one, even if they vote for censorship it would take a specific order from the mayor or an ordinance from the City Council to keep <i>Sex<p> off public shelves.

Because the Supreme Court didn't specifically define obscenity with their 1973 <i>Miller v California<p> ruling, "it is almost impossible to defend book banning in court," said Brooks. And since obscenity is defined on a local level, based on whether it is sexually explicit or lacking artistic value, Brooks intends, if necessary, to begin legal proceedings against HPL administrators on a local level.

"They have themselves a Reconsideration Committee that's never censored a book. Never," she said. "What that tells the community is their standards are about equal to their record -- a big zero. We'll take whatever legal course is needed to change that."

HPL requires any of its 900,000 members who are parents to sign an acknowledgement form stipulating the parents, not HPL, are responsible for their minors and what they read.

PLAYWRIGHT DIRVING FORCE BEHIND TALA

by Gram Gemoets

Texas Accountants and Lawyers for the Arts (TALA) will present Don Maines' new play <i>Wheels of Justice<p> Tuesday night at the Alley. The event launches an innovative wills and estate planning project for artists with AIDS.

Artists often only become famous when they die. For artists with AIDS, fame may be a little too close for comfort. While the artist is alive, however, their work is often neglected or lost in the struggle to cover medical expenses.

That's where TALA comes in. TALA helps AIDS victims catalogue and store works like original paintings, sculptures and even manuscripts.

"We also help with wills and property disputes which result when family and 'life-long companions squabble over copyrights and royalties," Maines said. "While others provide occasional free medical help and emotional counseling, legal advice is ignored."

To fuel future TALA activities, Maines penned <i>Wheels<p> and will donate proceeds generated by the play's premier for legal service for artists with AIDS. Maines wrote <i>Wheels<p> while studying with Edward Albee in Albee's spring playwriting course at UH. Maines is also a graduate of the UH Law Center.

"Without the benefit of my law degree, I would be unable to be effective in dealing with AIDS victims' special problems. AIDS law is very complicated," Maines said.

Maines, the author, has two other plays to his credit: <i>Is Alexander Godunov?<p> and <i>Reindeer Cames<p>. He is a former film and theater critic for The Daily Texan, University of Texas' student newspaper. A former entertainment writer for the Montrose Voice and This Week in Texas, he won three United Press International awards for feature and editorial writing.

The play, directed by Maines, will be performed on the Alley's Neuhaus Arena stage. The cast includes actors Stephanie Delape, Peg Glazer and Carole Orsak, plus lawyers/actors Roly Purrington and Ted Pfister. In addition, some prominent local attorneys and judges will make surprise appearances in the show.

The play begins at 7 p.m. Tuesday and a light supper of drinks and snacks will be available at 6:00 p.m. Tickets are $25 and benefit TALA.

THE LOVER AN EROTIC FILM WITH HEART

by Sally Pouncy

Fornication and the movies have a long history together. Now there is a new film joining the ranks of simulated sex on screen. It is called (very appropriately) <i>The Lover<p>, and it shows just as much skin as <i>Basic Instinct<p>, but not as much blood.

<I>The Lover<p> is a film adaptation of Marguerite Duras' autobiographical novel of the same title. It is about the sexual awakening of a young French girl living in Vietnam. The young girl (she has no proper name) lives in a boarding school in Saigon. Her family is poor, and since her father died, mom has had to work as a school teacher in a rural area to send the young girl to a nice French school.

On her way back to the city the young girl meets an older, attractive, cultured, rich man. There are only two problems with their future together -- he's Chinese and it's 1929.

Knowing they will never have a future together, the two decide to live for the present and become lovers. They meet daily in his bachelor pad and spend hours locked together. Everything goes along great for the couple until he meets her family.

Her family ranks at the bottom of the French social class hierarchy. They are what is known as white trash, but in their eyes they are better than the Chinese man. He is rich, but he is not white.

The young girl makes a major mistake in her relationship with her lover when she ignores him on an outing with her family. He pays for everything but receives nothing, not even a conversation.

Director Jean-Jacques Annaud had many obstacles to overcome while trying to get this movie made. Annaud is a stickler for detail. He shot the movie in Vietnam, had a limousine flown in from Seattle, Washington and literally searched the world for his lead actors.

Jane March, the lead actress, was just another pretty face until Annaud found her working as a model in Britain. Tony Leung, the Chinese lover, had appeared in many Asian feature films, but could not speak English and was the last actor to audition for Annaud before the project was to be canceled.

The love scenes are hot and the landscapes are serene, eat beforehand.

OVER 50 AND STILL ROLLING

by Dina Griswold

A wiser but not older-acting Ron Wood led two generations of Rolling Stones lovers into a gutsy and uninhibited fusion of rock, jazz and funk at the Tower Theater Wednesday.

The spunky Wood and his sextet featuring Bernard Fowler on vocals got a standing ovation for the opening song "Testify." The tune is from their recently released <i>Slide on This<p>.

Although Wood was the attraction for the mostly 30-year-old male crowd, Fowler, the strong-voiced, eccentric, Rasta-farian cane-toting character, de-livered more of a good time than a beer-blasted double-header foot-ball game.

Fowler, who co-wrote and co-produced <i>Slide on This<p>, said, "It feels good to be mentioned in the same breath as Ron Wood."

The set which Wood began by acclaiming "blasts from the Faces past" included "Losin' You" and "Stay with Me." Both songs excited the small venue to the point that a few fans darted past security to touch the guitar legend or to steal a pick.

The Stones' song "It's Only Rock-n-Roll," which introduced Wood into the supergroup in 1974, was the supreme highlight of the night.

In March, the Rolling Stones will put their solo careers on hold to record another album together.

UH'S SPACE CENTER PROJECT NEARING COMPLETION

by Florian Ho and Tom Anderson

A group of UH scientists will see the results of five years of research during a NASA space shuttle blast-off late next year.

UH's Space Vacuum Epitaxy Center, funded primarily by NASA's Office of Commercial Programs, researches methods of growing thin crystal film that will benefit the electronic and computer microprocessing industries, said Michael Owens, assistant director for administration at SVEC.

SVEC's primary research goal involves the Wake Shield Facility program, which is developing thin-film growth technology for space, said Owens.

Thin film materials grown in space have a capacity for faster computer calculations by as much as 10 times, said Alex Ignatiev, director of SVEC. "We will be able to speak to computers instead of typing commands because we will have that kind of number crunching ability," Ignatiev said.

The space environment of a near-perfect vacuum is ideal for the growth of thin-film materials because the vacuum of the outer atmosphere is a higher quality than what can be achieved in a laboratory, Owens said.

Without the impurities that are present in the earth's atmosphere, scientists can make thin films that are more pure. Owens said the impurity of earth's atmosphere is 100 percent of the problem.

The Wake Shield Facility will fly its first mission as part of the November 1993 space shuttle mission. The satellite is designed to amplify the volume of space by deflecting the few gas molecules in the outer atmosphere, Ignatiev said.

The Wake Shield Facility will be the United States' first free flying structure after it is disconnected from the shuttle. It will fly 40 to 60 miles to the side of the shuttle to avoid waste dumped from the shuttle, Owens said.

Recently, the UH Women's Network toured the facilities and spoke with Ignatiev.

The network meets monthly to discuss and learn about various subjects. "The epitaxy center is a jewel of UH and we should all know about it. We're all doing our own exploring," said Alice Ross, network president.

Ignatiev explained the function of the center and its impact on the economy as thoroughly as possible in an hour.

In the laboratory , the group saw the vacuum chambers needed to make the thin film. "This is where we have the high-risk experiments and exploratory research," Ignatiev said.

Owens said the Wake Shield Facility has cost about $12 million to date, a fraction of what NASA estimated the project would cost if developed in a traditional manner.

Traditionally, NASA builds projects that will fly in the shuttle. "NASA estimated the project would cost $40 million, but we have done it less expensively, Owens said.

"We use what we can get off the shelf," Ignatiev said. "We want to make sure it's not going to fall apart when we launch, and we have vibration simulation tests. But, let's not reinvent the wheel."

FORUM SAYS RACE-, GENDER-BIASED AD CAMPAIGNS INAPPROPRIATE

by Kristine Fahrenholz

Advertisers need to be more sensitive in developing appropriate campaigns because of the changing U.S. demographics, according to speakers in a forum held Friday in Melcher Hall.

Issues of social class and gender will continue to plague marketing and consumer research, said Pennsylvania State University Marketing Professor Jerome Williams.

The forum focused on race, class and gender in marketing research.

Cigarette and beer ads are targeted toward minority consumers -- insensitive approaches in terms of advertising, he said.

Ads can also be interpreted differently. For example, an ad for a Range Rover shows a filthy vehicle as background jungle-type music plays. Opera music is heard as the vehicle is cleaned by a downfall of rain and its true white color is revealed.

Some African-Americans responded negatively to the Range Rover ad, claiming the music was offensive because it displayed a dirty vehicle as traditional African music was heard in the background. Whereas the opera music, traditionally associated with upper-class white people, was heard as the vehicle was washed clean.

"People come away with different messages," Williams said.

UH Marketing Professor Julia Bristor said, "Sexist images in advertising seem to be decreasing, but they really aren't."

Women may be seen as liberated and having equal access to the same opportunities and institutions as men do, but the paradox is while the women may appear liberated, the implicit or sometimes explicit goal of the ads is to show the traditional and narrow definition of femininity, said Bristor.

Suzanna Fontenelle, who's working on a postdoctoral degree in marketing, said, "Advertisers have tried to throw out the feminists images in advertising campaigns of cosmetics by blending themes that decrease the emphasis on femininity.

POLL SHOWS STUDENTS WANT SEX, 92 PERCENT DON'T WANT MADONNA BANNED

by Channing King

While the city of Houston is engrossed in a controversy over the availability of Madonna's book <i>Sex<p>, UH students are in favor of distributing the work in libraries and bookstores.

In an informal poll of 100 UH students, 70 percent said Madonna's <i>Sex<p> should be stocked in the M.D. Anderson Library.

Romeo Pulikkathara, an architecture grad student, said the library "already has trash in it. Why should Madonna's book be excluded?"

Michael Edgar, a space architecture grad student, said, "We're all adults here. We're mature."

Athena Varoutsos agrees with the decision of the library to not carry the book. Varoutsos, a junior majoring in drama, said the library should be for books for classes.

In the poll, 64 percent of the people said Houston's public libraries also should stock the book.

Ben Atkinson said the libraries should not carry the book. "For someone in her position she's being irresponsible," said Atkinson, a junior psychology major. "With AIDS and teenage pregnancies, Madonna's not helping the country."

When asked if Barnes & Noble and Rother's Bookstore should sell the book, 90 percent of the students said yes.

"Are you going to turn down a percentage of the sales?" asked Mel Huckaby, a junior majoring in economics and political science. "If I'm the person running the store, I'm thinking about paying the employees and making a profit. I wouldn't say no to getting part of the $50 the book costs."

Students were unsure if <i>Sex<p> could be prosecuted as a work of obscenity or pornography. The terms "obscene" and "pornographic" are not defined well enough to lead to prosecution, said 86 percent of the polled students.

"Those terms are only point-of-view," said Dawn Venable, a junior business major. "Every person has a different view, a different way of looking at things."

Varoutsos said, "No one has yet come up with a universal definition."

HOMOSEXUALS HOPE CLINTON WILL CHANGE

(CPS) -- If President-elect Clinton holds to his campaign promise, gay and lesbian college students will be able to enroll in ROTC programs and not be forced to hide their sexual orientation.

Clinton has vowed to do away with Department of Defense policy barring gays and lesbians from being in the military. This practice also applies to Air Force, Army and Navy ROTC units on college and university campuses.

"I have to believe him," said Neil Snow, a University of Maine senior who was recently dismissed when he told Air Force ROTC officials he is gay. "If Clinton had said it just once, I would have questioned it, but he said it many times."

President Bush, before and during the campaign, said he would maintain current policy, which states, in part, that "homosexuality is incompatible with military service. The presence of such members adversely affects the ability of the Armed Forces to maintain discipline, good order, and morale."

The current policy is likely to remain intact until Clinton alters it by executive order. The next step is up to the new administration.

The military's ban on gays and lesbians often conflicts with universities' equal opportunity policies regarding race, religion, sexual preference and other factors.

"The armed forces now exist as the only sector in which this discrimination exists. The armed forces remain the only holdout," said Robert O'Neil, a law professor at the University of Virginia. "It doesn't make sense. It has remained intractable, but with the Clinton victory it may become moot."

There have been movements at schools nationwide to get rid of ROTC units because of the gay and lesbian policy.

When Snow was dismissed from the Air Force ROTC unit, the University of Maine faculty senate voted to support Snow's right to remain in the ROTC program. The school also wants the armed forces to alter its policies regarding people with physical limitations who are not allowed in the military.

"We have a strong policy of non-discrimination at the university, and Department of Defense policy is in clear conflict," said University of Maine spokesman John Diamond. "We are actively lobbying to change policy that affects ROTC programs."

Snow was the fourth-highest ranking cadet in the corps, a student senator and belongs to an honorary society for service to the school and academic achievement. "He is well-known and well-respected," Diamond said. "People respect the fact he's had the courage to come forward."

Snow said this fall he had to sign some paperwork vowing he was a heterosexual, and decided he couldn't lie about his sexuality. He told his training officer Sept. 21 that he was gay, and disenrollment proceedings began that day. He had been in the program since 1990.

It took a long time for Snow to acknowledge his sexual orientation. "I was gay but not comfortable with it. I was trying to deal with the fact I was a good person and gay," he said. "It was incredibly hard telling them. I had been in the program so long and I wasn't being honest. It was time."

Joe Steffan, a law student at the University of Connecticut, was a senior at the U.S. Naval Academy when he was dismissed. In the fall of his senior year, Steffan told two friends in the cadet corps that he was gay. In March 1987 an investigation was launched by academy officials. When confronted, Steffan told them the was gay. He was dismissed and eventually sued for repayment of ROTC scholarship money. The case is on appeal, but if the policy is rescinded, the suit is mostly moot, he said.

"One of the most important things I've learned is to question not only my assumptions and attitudes but policies of our country and society," he said. "I assumed the system was fair, but my own experience woke me up to the reality of discrimination."

UG FRATERNITY OUSTED FROM CAMPUS OVER RACIST SLUR

ATHENS, Ga. (CPS) -- A racial slur in a pledge pamphlet has resulted in a fraternity being suspended from the University of Georgia indefinitely.

University officials discovered a printed pamphlet for Pi Kappa Phi fraternity contained the phrase "no niggers." An investigation revealed some fraternity members knew about the slur and chose to do nothing about it.

More than 1,000 students signed a petition demanding that the fraternity be ousted from the campus. The petition was started by the university's chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People.

The suspension resulted from a late-October hearing in which the fraternity exercised its option to have the case heard by an administrative officer rather than a student panel.

The fraternity can apply for reinstatement during the summer of 1993.

"I intend the time during this suspension to be spent learning and teaching the value of diversity in a modern university and to satisfy the expectations announced by your national organization and you local alumni," wrote William Bracewell, director of judicial programs who served as hearing officer on the case.

Pi Kappa Phi President James "Tripp" Ackerman III appeared at a recent meeting with the Black Greeks Council and read a statement of apology by the pamphlet's author. Ackerman added the fraternity did not condone the material.

"The offensive statement was not condoned by the chapter president or the brother hood," Ackerman said. "I regret that this situation may have caused others to form negative opinions about the Lambda chapter, the Greek community or the University of Georgia community as a whole."

The Greek organizations at the university reacted strongly to the incident, officials said. The school's sororities have refused to participate in Pi Kappa Phi's annual philanthropic War of the Roses football tournament this year.

The ruling against the fraternity was unexpected, although welcomed, said Jonathon Burns, managing editor of the Red and Black, the campus newspaper. "The students seem very pleased with the decision."

Pi Kappa Phi is the seventh fraternity to be suspended from the University of Georgia since 1980.

BRIEFS

CONCERNS

(CPS) -- Forty-two percent of college student presidents said that job prospects are the main concern of American students today.

"Everyone's wondering if we will get jobs after this expensive education," said Glen Turf, a senior at Colgate University in New York.

Tuition increases were cited by another 23 percent, racial issues were listed by 15 percent and inadequate financial support by another 12 percent.

However, 46 percent also said that the overall mood on campus was upbeat, and 15 percent described the mood as "very upbeat."

Sixty student presidents from colleges and universities around the nation were interviewed in the study by the university of Puget Sound in Washington.

Ranjeet Bhatia, an environmental biology senior at Occidental College in California, said racial and class tensions were the chief concerns there.

At Villanova University in New York, political science senior Christoper Saracino said, "There is a big movement toward recognizing diversity and multiculturalism."

EXPLICIT?

LOS ANGELES (CPS) --University of Los Angeles at California administrators are investigating to see whether some explicit fraternity song lyrics violated campus anti-harassment and discrimination policies.

A feminist magazine at UCLA published excerpts in early October from Theta Xi's educational manual for fraternity members. Students have held demonstrations, rallies and vigils to protest songs that they considered racist, sexist and homophobic.

One song from the handbook referred repeatedly to a "Mexican whore," although the manual also included instructions for dinner etiquette and proper manners, according to the Daily Nexus at UC Santa Barbara.

The Interfraternity Council at UCLA and the Panhellic Council said the songbooks were no longer being printed.

ENTRY LEVEL

WOOSTER, Ohio (CPS) -- Don't expect too much too soon. That's the advice of a career counselor who has developed some points that should be considered by college graduates who are seeking jobs.

College graduates rarely wind up making $40,000 a year after graduation. According to Hoyte Wilhelm, director of career development and placement at The College of Wooser, the average salary for entry-level jobs is $15,000 to $25,000, depending on the industry.

Wilhelm also warned that new job seekers should not expect to get hefty benefits packages that include pension plans, extensive medial coverage and stock options. Many corporations are reducing benefits packages.

New job holders shouldn't make the mistake of putting in only the required hours or the minimum level of performance. In order to get ahead, be prepared to work longer hours and perform tasks that may seem routine or boring because supervisors will be taking note, Wilhelm suggested.

HEPATITIS CASES AMONG COLLEGE-AGE POPULATION DOUBLING

CHICAGO (CPS) - Health officials are worried about a surge in hepatitis B cases among college-age people.

The nation's rate of infection has doubled in the past 10 years, with cases among heterosexual young adults up 77 percent. More than one-third of the 300,000 Americans infected each year with hepatitis B are college-age adults, according to Atlanta's Centers for Disease Control.

A nationwide program to make young people aware of hepatitis B was launched Oct. 30 at a college media convention, with MTV-like posters and educational brochures urging vaccination against the highly contagious virus.

Dr. Ruth Westheimer conducted a session with newspaper editors and reporters to provide information and encourage publication of more articles about hepatitis B.

The program, sponsored by the National Foundation for Infectious Diseases, also includes a toll-free hotline, 1-800-HEP-B-873. Hepatitis B is 100 times more contagious than the AIDS virus and can be spread through contact with blood or body fluids. Untreated hepatitis also can be deadly.

College graduate Wendy Marx fell into a coma and almost died from hepatitis B, just five months after graduating from Duke University.

In her case, as is the case in one-third of those infected, the source of the infection remains unknown. After two liver transplants and a difficult recovery, Marx urges young people to get vaccinated against the highly contagious virus.

"I almost died from hepatitis B, a disease I'd barely heard of before, and my life has been permanently changed because of it. I certainly didn't know that there was a vaccine to prevent this infection," said Marx, now 25 and living in San Francisco.

About half of those who get hepatitis B will suffer from inflammation of the liver. Fourteen people in the United States die every day from hepatitis-related cirrhosis or liver cancer.

Many people mistake a hepatitis infection for flu or some other illness. Symptoms include skin rashes, fatigue nausea and vomiting, loss of appetite, jaundice and abdominal pain.

Health officials suggest that students check with their college health clinic or the county health department for more information about vaccination.

PROFESSOR'S OBSESSION LEADS TO BOOK THAT PROBES CURSES WORDS PHENOMENON

NORTH ADAMS, Mass. (CPS) -- Dr. Timothy Jay is called the "Doctor of Dirty Words" and "The Pre-eminent Scholar of Profanity" and says he likes nothing better than a spirited discussion on the cursing habits of the American public.

The psychology professor at North Adams State College has written a book titled <i>Cursing in America<p> that explores different types of cursing, how children learn obscene words, and how men and women differ in the use of obscenities.

For example, women are often insulted by men for openly expressing their sexuality, Jay said. "Men don't realize how offensive some words are to women. Men, on the other hand, get upset when they are referred to as effeminate. That's because the male sex role is still so rigidly defined."

Swear words remain fairly stable, Jay noted, with new words appearing from deviant subcultures such as music, drugs and prostitution from time to time. Hip new words, however, rarely last.

Everyone swears, Jay said, and people have been swearing for centuries. The only two groups who do not swear are some elderly women and the religious right, he's discovered.

"I think swearing is important for emotional expression, but every book on language ignores the phenomenon," said Jay, who said he swears much less as a college professor than when he was an ice hockey player and construction worker.

Jay's obsession with profanity started in high school while listening to comedian Lenny Bruce. The material for the book, which he started collecting in graduate school, took 20 years to compile.

Most of the information came from field research where he and student assistants collected samples of people swearing. Jay's discussions of cursing have been published in Playboy, New Woman, Red Book, Parenting and New Woman.

He is also considered an expert witness, and has counseled lawyers and rock groups on the use of offensive language in the entertainment industry.