ATHLETIC DIRECTOR RESIGNS, ACCEPTS UNM POST

by Keith Rollins

In a change of heart, UH Athletic Director Rudy Davalos agreed to accept the AD position at the University of New Mexico.

He made the decision just one week after reporting he would not leave UH and had withdrawn his name as a candidate for the Albuquerque school's AD job.

"It wasn't because I was offered more money or anything like that, I just changed my mind. Fortunately, I had the opportunity to say yes, and here I am," Davalos said during a press conference Monday in New Mexico.

Davalos told reporters he was "sitting at the game when UH almost upset Texas A&M, and I could not get New Mexico out of my mind."

Davalos discussed it with his wife Sunday morning then contacted UNM President Richard Peck on Monday and told him he wanted the job.

Monday night Davalos called UH President James Pickering and told him of the decision to leave UH when his contract expires Dec. 1.

Pickering was a bit surprised, but said people must make choices and go on.

"I'm not miffed at all. I guess when you have been around people for a while, people do change their minds. Clearly, we are all sorry to see Rudy Davalos move on, but that is his decision and we wish him well.

"Everything is the same as before Rudy resigned. We are moving ahead. This won't effect the facilities one bit. I certainly hope it will not effect the recruitment one bit."

Pickering also announced that UH Assistant Athletic Director William McGillis will replace Davalos' position on an interim basis.

McGillis joined UH in 1984 as an intern in the sports information office. In 1985, he was named assistant athletic director.

McGillis' assistant job entails seeing that UH's sport rules comply with the Southwest Conference and the NCAA guidelines. He has been instrumental in coordinating the Community Mentoring Program, linking athletes in Houston with community role models, and has written the athletics department policy manual and the student-athlete handbook.

With the appointment of such a young AD, McGillis is 30, Football Head Coach John Jenkins said, "Pickering must be looking to the future."

Pickering added that a national search for a permanent replacement will begin immediately. He also stated McGillis could be a candidate if he chooses to be.

"We need somebody who will continue the traditions of this department, somebody who knows what a student-athlete is all about, somebody who is committed to the integrity to excellence in athletics at the collegiate level," Pickering said.

McGillis could not be reached for comment.

*******************************************************

FRACAS ERUPTS AT BASKETBALL GAME; PAROLEE ARRESTED WITH CRACK PIPE

A student playing basketball in Melcher Gym was jumped by the 10 men he was on the court with Friday afternoon.

The brawl left the student, a sophomore psychology major, with a broken upper-front tooth, facial bruises and scratches on his neck, said UHPD Lt. Helia Durant.

When the student and a fellow player got into a disagreement, the student pushed the man away from him and a scuffle ensued, said Durant.

The nine other men became involved in the fight and began kicking and hitting the student, he said.

The student was unable to identify the other men so nobody was arrested.

"He did say that the same men are in the athletic complex playing basketball a lot," Durant said.

• • •

A visitor's arrest for alleged possession of a crack cocaine pipe early Saturday morning led UHPD to uncover the man's parole violations.

UHPD discovered Milton Ray Atkins in the bushes in parking lot 1A. After Atkins identified himself to Officer Debra Rivera, a name check revealed a wanted-person warrant had been issued by the Austin Board of Pardons and Parole.

"While checking Atkins, UHPD found a crack cocaine pipe containing a suspected cocaine residue," Durant said. "Charges for possession of cocaine depend on lab results from the pipe."

Atkins was transported to Harris County Jail.

• • •

An unknown student alerted UHPD to a man trying to sell a UH telephone to him Sunday in the Subway restaurant on Wheeler Avenue.

"An officer goes to the Subway and sees Cranston DeCompton sitting with the phone on the table in front of him," Durant said. "Once (DeCompton) spotted the officer he tried to leave, but he couldn't because there is only one door."

According to a statement made by DeCompton, the telephone was found in a garbage can somewhere off campus, Durant said. It was identified by serial and model numbers and a UH bar code.

DeCompton was arrested, charged with theft and placed in Harris County Jail. His bond is set at $500.

• • •

A student distraught over her discontinued financial aid was arrested for criminal trespassing after refusing to leave the financial aid office.

Robert Sheridan, director of Scholarships and Financial Aid, called UHPD and said Sherri Laverne Stevens, a law student, was being loud and disruptive in the office, Durant said.

"They tried to explain the situation and offered her a letter concerning financial aid status, but she refused help and was told to leave the office," Durant said.

Stevens was issued two Student Life Referrals for verbal disturbance and criminal trespassing.

She was taken to Harris County Jail where a $500 bond was set. Stevens, whose court date is set for Nov. 20, could not be reached for comment.

PROMINENT SCHOLAR APPLAUDS WOMEN'S STRENGTH, INGENUITY

In Aristophanes' play <i>The Lysistrata<p>, the title character encourages Greek women to abstain from having sexual relations with their husbands until the men ceased to engage in war.

Florence Ladd, director of the Bunting Institute at Radcliffe College, did not advocate such a drastic measure, but she did call on women to determine the sources of their authority Monday night. Established in 1960, the Bunting Institute is a post-doctoral research center for female scholars, writers and artists.

Ladd, who assumed the role of director in 1989, spoke on the topic of "Women Claiming Authority and Exercising Personal Power" before an audience of 40 at the College of Architecture. She delivered the inaugural lecture of the Women's Studies Friends Group, a supported group of the UH Women's Studies Program, which is directed by Cynthia Freeland.

Hailed as "the year of the woman," 1992's women political candidates, and candidates' wives -- especially children's rights advocate and attorney Hillary Clinton -- have had to question whether they can effectively agitate government institutions.

"In the 1992 political campaigns and national elections, we have had the opportunity to witness the expression of authority on the part of women candidates (and wives of candidates) and observe the transfer of the personal to the political -- of individual authority to the collective political process," Ladd said, reading from her paper titled "A Meditation on Claiming Authority: Women Experiencing Personal Power."

"In the transfer, individual authority is transformed into political influence and power," she said.

Ladd said her individual authority has been derived from five major influences. The sources she mentioned include: socialization by her parents, legends and lore of the heroic acts of African Americans, the solidarity elicited by campaigns and resistance movements, a belief in the spirituality that strengthens the ties among people of color.

She said she also appreciates courageous acts of "the battalions of women of color who rise at dawn, leave their bleak homes and neglected neighborhoods, and join the procession with others who make their way to houses in white suburbs where they wash and iron, dust and scrub for the few dollars that maintain them and their families in the margins of poverty."

She challenged listeners to name three sources of authority and one act of power they see themselves accomplishing in the near future.

Ladd, a graduate of Howard University, received a doctoral degree from the University of Rochester and is a social psychologist by profession. She told listeners she would like to eventually see her novel, tentatively titled <i>Sarah's Psalm<p>, completed and published. She has also worked as an administrator or educator at Harvard University, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Wellesley College.

While the debate on the question of whether women should engage in combat continues, Ladd chose to focus more on the role women will play in government -- particularly since women have increased their numbers in the U.S. House and Senate.

"There are important lessons to be drawn from the campaigns of women who won and those who were defeated: The announcement of one's authority and one's interest in the exercise of power is not enough, not sufficient; women in the political arena must move the society toward an acceptance of the authority and power of women," Ladd said.

She defined authority as "confidence derived from experience or practice, firm self-assurance, the expression of credible knowledge or performance."

AUTHOR EXPLORES POLITICS THROUGH WIT, HUMOR

by Karen Kovatch

Generation X Press

Author P.J. O'Rourke is fast becoming one of America's most read and talked about writers.

His satirical humor has been critically acclaimed nationwide. The Wall Street Journal has called O'Rourke "the funniest writer in America," and Vogue categorized him as "one of the five men you'd most want to sit next to at a dinner party."

O'Rourke has hit the nation's best-seller list four times with <i>Republican Party Reptile, Holidays in Hell, Modern Manners<p>, and <i>Parliament of Whores<p>. His latest book, <i>Give War a Chance<p>, may place him on the list once again.

Using his cunning wit, O'Rourke examines such issues as the Persian Gulf war, the birth of freedom in former communist countries, the sixties, drug testing, Dr. Ruth Westheimer and the Kennedys. The result? A hilariously entertaining book.

O'Rourke's straightforward wit has won him respect as a political writer and placed him among the nation's hottest personalities.

<i>Q. How do you feel about being labeled "America's funniest writer?"<p>

A. It embarrasses me.

<i>Q. How did you come to know so much about politics and what goes on behind closed doors?<p>

A. It's time in rank, as they say. It's just time spent doing something, that's all. That's the secret to about nine-tenths of things in life. I never took any classes in it -- it wouldn't have helped. Political science moves so fast that anything you learned would be out of date except for basic government structures. They're going to be the same forever. They're easy to learn. What's hard to learn about is who does what to whom and who's indebted to whom and why that's happened. The only way you can do that is just to be there. And basically all I do is ask friends of mine who know better than I do.

<i>Q. Was there anything you learned in college that you feel has helped you in your career?<p>

A. No. (Laughs) Yeah ... You read things that you would not otherwise read. Another thing is that college makes you write.

<i>Q. You've written quite a bit about the 70s. How would you characterize the era?<p>

A. It was a very selfish era. I mean, people talk about it being idealistic. It wasn't idealistic, it was utterly, absolutely selfish. The part about it being idealistic was just that people were being very childish and refusing to compromise on anything they thought was right, and just screaming their heads off to anybody that disagreed with them, and being completely incapable of seeing any middle ground. Very anti-democratic. Really, an embarrassing era.

I mean, we did have some fun, there's no doubt about it, but most of it because we were so stoned we forgot. The mortality rate was very high. I lost a lot of friends to drugs, either died from it or should have, you know?

<i>Q. Was there more freedom of expression?<p>

A. No, there wasn't. There was just a lot more loudness. You sure weren't free on the average college campus to say that you though that the Vietnam war might not be a good idea. No, there was no particular freedom of expression, there was just a lot of screaming.

<i>Q. Do you feel that the 70s contributed to AIDS and some of the other problems of today's society?<p>

A. AIDS obviously wasn't caused by the 70s, but certainly the 60s and 70s promiscuity gave AIDS its biological window of opportunity. The disease would not have spread in the same way in the 50s or 40s or 30s in the United States because there just simply wouldn't have been the amount of promiscuity or intravenous drug use.

So, I think that the self-indulgence and the permissiveness of the 60s and 70s brought a number of the problems that we have. The divorce rate, the number of single-parent families -- I think things like crack are pretty much a direct out-growth of the self-indulgence. Social self-discipline broke down among the elite of society.

The American middle-class quit believing in the things it had believed in before and started doing anything it wanted to do at any given moment. And that attitude spread through the rest of society.

<i> Q. So what do you feel is the attitude of the 90s?<p>

A. The kind of attitude that "I alone don't make a difference for good or for ill."

CAR ALARMS NOT EFFECTIVE BURGULARY DETERRENT

by Amy Reynolds

Generation X Press

Click.

Bill's heart stopped. As the garage door in front of him began to slowly open, he had only one thought -- to run.

He did.

Half way down the street, he started to toss the car stereo he had tucked under his arm on the ground. His friend, running closely behind with a radar detector, stopped him.

"We weren't going to just run and get nothing out of it," Bill says, recalling the incident. "But at that time, I hadn't realized my friend was the one who hit the garage door opener. I thought we were cold busted."

That particular theft - from a car parked in a neighborhood driveway in which Bill's friend accidentally hit the owner's garage door opener when he was untangling wires from the radar detector - was perhaps the closest Bill ever thought he was to getting caught.

That fear, he says, is the biggest deterrent for a car thief of his caliber - one who steals not the car but the contents.

Bill is not his real name - under the condition that he would not be identified, Bill has agreed to talk of his experiences as a thief with the hope of helping other people minimize the chances of someone breaking into their cars.

<i>How did you choose which cars you were going to break into?<p>

"Well, first let me say this: People can be really ignorant. There's a 12-year-old kid who lives in my neighborhood who just walks up and down the street lifting up door handles until he finds one that opens, that's unlocked. He takes sunglasses, change and cigarettes, and he's only 12. If people would just lock their doors, it helps.

"We primarily looked for radar equipment, stereo equipment, nice rims, phones, stuff like that. People are stupid. They leave that stuff right in view."

<i>How did you go about the actual break-in?<p>

"It's usually done in pairs because that doesn't draw attention. One person usually is the lookout, the other does the actual break-in. It takes awhile. First, you scope out the area. Once you're in, you go for what you know you can get because it is highly illegal. You don't chance anything because you don't want to get caught."

<i>How did you get into a car?<p>

"We used a cinder punch. It's a tool you can go buy at Home Depot or somewhere. Basically, what it is, is a hollow metal rod used for putting holes in steel or for starting screws. It totally busts a window. You just put it up against the glass and POP! - it cracks the whole thing.

"Tinted windows are easier to break because the tinting holds the glass together so all you have to do is peel it away. If the window wasn't tinted, we put tape across it, punched the center of the tape and then pull it apart."

<i>Tell me some ways people can make their cars less attractive to a thief.<p>

"Some anti-theft devices for stereos are OK, but there are ways around everything. Regular radios are safer because they're harder to take out. You have to pull apart the whole dash sometimes.

"Sometimes dark windows help, but usually you can just shine a flashlight inside the car and see what they have. The most important thing is concealment - the more you hide it, the less likely it is that someone will steal it. If you have a pull-out stereo, pull it out. Things like that. Just use the 'Stealth method.' Conceal it."

<i>Do car alarms help?<p>

"Alarms work if it's a good alarm like an Alpine, a Cobra or a Viper and if it's installed by someone good. I know people who used to install alarms and then at night would go out and steal stuff from cars with alarms because they knew how to disarm them.

"Another thing about alarms is how the (sensitivity level) is set. Most people don't set it on extremely sensitive because then a strong wind could even set it off. Most people put it in the middle. Most alarms don't pick up sudden, quick jolts, like a smashed window. Now, when we go to open the door, then it's going to go off, but at that point I'm already in the car and within a matter of minutes I can find and cut the alarm's wire and then it's useless."

<i>It sounds like what you're saying is that there's really no sure-proof way to protect your belongings in your car, that it's the luck of the draw.<p>

"Yes. It really is just the luck of the draw. That and people's ignorance gets them."

<i>What about parking garages -- aren't they supposed to be a safe place to leave your car?<p>

"Yes. The environment is important. Parking garages almost always have surveillance and parking lots, especially if there's a lot of light, are good too because you're out in the open. I would also tell people not to park in places where there are a lot of teen-agers hanging out. Breaking into cars is a big thing now. It's getting bigger, too, especially with gangs and stuff.

"I would also say to know the serial numbers of everything you own -- stereos, radar equipment, everything ... I had a friend who broke into a guy's house and stole his stereo equipment. He got caught because the police pulled him over in his car for something else, he had the stereo stuff in his car and when they ran the serial numbers of the equipment it came up that it was stolen.

"Another thing I wanted to mention -- you know those "hide-a-key" things that people stick behind their license plates or under their cars? Well, the majority of the people have a hide-a-key and they usually keep them in the same places. We would find the keys sometimes and simply unlock the doors. One time I had a couple of friends actually drive off with cars after they found the hide-a-key."

<i>Why did you start breaking into cars, and why did you quit?<p>

"I started when I was 15 or 16 and made about $1,000. I quit after a year. I'm 18 now. I basically started because there was nothing better to do. One of my friends was always a thief and one night he asked me if I wanted to come along. I just watched that time, but eventually I wanted to do it myself.

"I was young and I didn't have a job. I guess I quit because I got a job and I realized that I could go to jail. I basically wised up.

"I have some remorse for the people I did that to now. My thing now is that I don't want someone to do that to me so I'm not going to do that to them."

OLE MISS SPORTS CLUB CHARGED WITH HAZING TWO STUDENTS

OXFORD, Miss. (CPS) -- A hazing incident that injured two varsity sports letter winners at the University of Mississippi has caused officials to consider disbanding the club until further notice.

Under investigation is the M Club, a social group of 100 varsity letter winners in the eight all-male intercollegiate sports offered at Ole Miss.

Junior John Gourley of Philadelphia and sophomore Donavan Bassett of Jackson, Miss., were treated at a local emergency room after being blindfolded with tape while an unidentified liquid was poured over their heads.

Gourley suffered burns on his left ear and cheek, and Bassett suffered second-degree burns on 80 percent of his face.

According to a statement released by the university, 25 members out of a membership of 100 were involved in the incident.

Officials say the M Club has been repeatedly told that hazing is against school policy and Mississippi law.

"The University of Mississippi is probably more vigilant than most institutions about preventing hazing incidents and works hard to stop them," said Thomas J. Reardon, associate dean of students.

After Reardon's investigation, he recommended the club be banned form the campus.

"We want to send a strong message to all student groups that we won't tolerate hazing on this campus," he said. "I have sent my recommendation to the vice chancellor, and he has taken it into consideration."

Under a 1990 law, first-degree hazing, in which injuries are incurred, is a misdemeanor punishable by up to six months in jail and a $2,000 fine.

'BORDERTOWN BANDIT' ARRESTED FOR NORTHERN BANK ROBBERIES

MINNEAPOLIS (CPS) -- A 41-year-old law school student, dubbed the "Bordertown Bandit," has been charged with robbing banks in towns along the Minnesota-Wisconsin border, officials said.

Susan P. Robinson of Minneapolis, who attends William Mitchell College of Law in St. Paul, Minn., was scheduled to graduate in January. She was being held without bond in Minneapolis prior to being transferred to Madison, Wis., where the charges were issued. She also used to work for the sheriff's department in Minneapolis, but recently quit to go to law school full time.

Robinson was charged in the robbery of a bank in Cornell, Wis., in which $6,372 was taken. She is suspected of being involved in five other bank robberies in Wisconsin towns that border Minnesota.

Bank tellers were maced in two robberies, said a spokeswoman for the U.S. attorney's office in Minneapolis, and in another robbery, a teller was handcuffed. The search warrant did not list the total amount of money taken in the robberies.

The bank robber, who sometimes wears a black wig, always claimed to have a gun, the spokeswoman said. The robberies began in July and ended in mid-October.

Some of the money apparently was used for gambling, since it was used at a casino near Red Wing, Minn. The cash had red dye on it from concealed exploding packs.

50-PLUS MILLION AMERICANS ADDICTED TO SMOKING

by Amy Reynolds

Generation X Press

For non-smokers, the solution is incredibly simple -- just quit.

They know, just as smokers do, the habit is hard on their health. They know the current and the future trend is smoke-free everything, not just airplanes and office buildings.

So why don't smokers just stop?

Because, as people who smoke cigarettes will gladly answer, they're addicted.

Before current Surgeon General Antonia C. Novello took over the nation's battle to convert smokers to quitters, former Surgeon General C. Everett Coop used a powerful analogy to help everyone understand a cigarette smokers' level of addiction. According to Coop, smoking cigarettes could be as addictive as heroin.

Despite that fact, 38 million Americans have managed to quit smoking.

But the 1990 Surgeon General's Report shows more than 50 million people in the United States still smoke cigarettes.

Also in the 1990 report:

* About 81 percent of the people who smoke have tried to quit at some point.

* Smokers usually try to quit more than once before they succeed -- 70 percent of ex-smokers made one or two attempts, 22 percent made three to five attempts and 9 percent quit six or more times before succeeding;

*About 1.3 million smokers successfully quit each year;

*And, about 90 percent of the people who do successfully quit do so on their own.

Certainly, quitting smoking is not impossible.

Experts say smokers greatly enhance their chances of successfully quitting by finding an individual method of dealing with the habit.

"The way that's most effective is the way that works best for a particular person," said James Crowe, an assistant professor of applied science at Indiana University in Bloomington, Ind. Crowe has designed smoking cessation programs for more than 30 years.

According to Crowe and the American Cancer Society, in order to design a personal program for quitting, a smoker needs to identify the type of his or her addiction.

Smokers need to "find out if they're chemically, emotional or habitually addicted or some combination of the three," Crowe said. "But depending on the nature of the addiction you use a different technique."

To identify the category of addiction, the American Cancer Society offers a checklist for people who want to try to kick the habit.

One way to beat the addiction is to taper off. Smokers identify how much they smoke per day and then they slowly reduce the number of cigarettes they smoke.

"Others may use a technique where they delay smoking every day by an hour or so. This is called postponing," Crowe said.

Some people are "handling smokers," like Johnny Carson, for example. Carson replaced his cigarettes with pencils, which he used to fiddle with during interviews on <i>The Tonight Show<p>.

Others, Crowe says, have an oral fixation -- they need to have something to put in their mouths. Suggestions for those smokers include cutting a soda straw in half and using it to replace a cigarette.

Still other smokers unconsciously reach for a cigarette in their pocket and have it lit before they realize they're smoking.

Wrapping a cigarette box with paper, and holding it with a rubber band makes it much more difficult to get to the cigarettes.

Experts agree the first few weeks of quitting are the hardest, but if people can endure the initial withdrawal, they double their chances of staying off cigarettes for a year, if not permanently.

Physical symptoms of nicotine withdrawal include heart palpitations, the "shakes," possible stomach cramps and light-headedness.

"You have to understand that the nervous system has been affected by the nicotine for a long time," Crowe said.

Other withdrawal effects are anxiety, irritability, frustration, restlessness and difficulty concentrating.

Weight gain is also a possibility - according to the Centers for Disease Control's Office on Smoking and Health. The average weight gain is five pounds with only 3.5 percent gaining more than 20 pounds after quitting.

Although the battle to quit is a tough one, the health benefits associated with quitting are well worth the effort, experts say.

"Smoking cessation represents the single most important step that smokers can take to enhance the length and quality of their lives," Novello wrote in her 1990 report.

According to the Surgeon General's Office, smoking is the cause of death of one in six Americans.

If that alone doesn't help convince smokers to quit, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services hopes one of the following reasons will:

* The risk of having a stroke is reduced to that of a non-smoker five years after quitting.

* The risk of mouth, throat, esophagus and larynx cancer are all reduced to the same level as a non-smoker within five years of quitting.

* Coronary heart disease excess risk is cut in half one year after quitting and returns to that of a non-smoker after 15 years.

* The risk of lung cancer is cut in half compared to people who continue to smoke.

Of course, those benefits are all long-term. Immediate gains are made as well.

Nicotine works as a vasoconstrictor in the body, impairing circulation, especially in the hands and feet. People who quit smoking will immediately increase blood circulation throughout the body.

"The coronary arteries experience immediate release from the vasoconstriction," Crowe said. As for the effect on the lungs, "you'll start to experience a reduction of breathing difficulty, but you'll cough more at first."

The coughing comes as a response to the cilia in the respiratory tract regenerating. The cilia are responsible for bringing up and clearing out contaminated material, "so as someone stops smoking and the cilia regenerate, they will experience a cleaning out phase of the respiratory system," Crowe says.

The immediate benefits of quitting are especially important, Crowe said, because "you've got to be careful not to give a smoker reasons not to quit. A lot of them will say, "Well, it may be seven years or longer before anything good happens."

Although most smokers need to design an individual plan to quit smoking, the CDC and the American Cancer Society have several tips to help people stay off cigarettes once they've quit:

*Chew gum or brush and floss teeth to help keep a fresh, clean taste in the mouth.

*Drink lots of water.

*Exercise.

*For some, substituting nicotine gum or a patch for the cigarette helps them start quitting.

"One of the things I've found is using whole cloves," Crowe said, "because clove duplicates, to some degree, the taste of the cigarette."

He added "the important thing is that there's just multiple techniques that have to be used. There isn't one best approach for everyone to use. Most people can't quit cold turkey, so they need these different things."

For additional information on quitting smoking, contact your local American Cancer society office or contact the Office on Smoking and Health at the Centers for Disease Control, 1600 Clifton Rd. N.E., Atlanta, GA 30333 or ask your doctor.