OFFICIALS HOPE NEW VENDING CARDS WILL CURB MACHINE THEFTS, ARRESTS

With a new credit card for vending machines soon to be introduced on campus, police and machine owners hope to reduce vandalism and the resulting arrests.

A student and a visitor were arrested Tuesday after a faculty member witnessed one of them getting large amounts of change from a snack machine in Melcher Hall, UHPD Lt. Brad Wigtil said.

Freshman mathematics major Emery P. Carr and visitor Jaime Aguirre were arrested for burglary of a coin-operated machine, a class A misdemeanor.

"A faculty member saw two guys putting something in a machine and getting back a lot of change," Wigtil said. "They were using something to manipulate the machine."

The men were taken to Harris County Jail where Carr's bail was set at $500 and Aguirre's was set at $1,000. Each paid his bail Wednesday.

The snacks and money taken from the machines were recovered from the two men, Wigtil said.

Repairs to the damaged machine because of manipulation to the bill acceptor will cost more that $500. "The snack machines cost $3,500 and the food machines cost $5,000," said Steve McConnell, a supervisor for Service America Corp.

"PepsiCo. is offering a $500 reward for any information which will lead to the arrest and conviction of anyone vandalizing the machines," he said. "Those machines are there for students to use and we want to keep them working.

"We have had problems this past month with the (money) coming up short," said McConnell. "The university loses money when we lose money.

PepsiCo., Frito Lay Inc. and UH are working together to experiment with ExpressVend cards. Beginning Jan. 19, 1993, students will be able to buy a card with an assigned dollar value that can be increased when needed. No information is available yet as to which machines will be used during the initial experimental stage.

The new cards will be used much the same way Cougar Express cards are. They will also keep abuse of machines to a minimum while freeing students from the need to carry pocket change, McConnell said.

*******************************************************

AD'S DEPARTURE STIRS CONFLICTING VIEWS

by Shannon Najar

and Meagan McGovern

While some students feel Athletic Director Rudy Davalos emphasized athletics over academics during his tenure, athletic department officials say they have always seen both qualities as equally important.

Davalos resigned Sunday after accepting the AD position at the University of New Mexico.

Interim Athletic Director Bill McGillis said both he and Davalos view academics and athletics as intrinsic to each other, "a total package. We will continue to look for ways to improve our performance, both on the field and in school," the 30-year-old McGillis said.

One student said she has yet to see the "total package" -- academics and athletics -- work together. "The problem with Davalos was that his total emphasis was on the athletes' athletic ability and not on their scholastic abilities. A good athletic director should not only be committed to athletic excellence, but also to academic excellence," said Jennifer Handa, a junior psychology major.

Ted Nance, however, disagreed. "I think we do emphasize academic progress and NCAA compliance. We always have," said Nance, the assistant athletic director in charge of sports information.

Concern about student-athletes surfaced when a study released by the NCAA in August showed only 6 percent of black student-athletes and 16 percent of all student-athletes earned a degree within six years.

The study was based on freshmen entering in 1983-84 and 1984-85. Davalos joined UH's staff in 1987.

Nance said Davalos has always been concerned with athletes' academic performance. "I've heard Rudy say to students, 'We're here to provide you with the opportunity to graduate. We won't put up with skipping class,'" Nance said.

"An athletic director should stress to the athletes that they are student-athletes, not athlete-students," said Roosevelt Berry, a junior drama major.

McGillis said in response, "If there's an impression that we don't have a firm commitment to academics, that's a misconception. We intend to continue to focus on enhancing performance by student-athletes."

Students also felt that an athletic director should be a motivator for both athletes and students.

"UH needs an athletic director who can motivate the people at this school to get involved in campus activities and thereby help to increase school spirit," said Mike Schoch, a sophomore psychology major.

Simon Nguyen, a junior optometry major, said, "UH needs an athletic director who is able to motivate teams and their players to not only win, but to be competitive on a national level, which Davalos was unable to do."

Nance disagrees with this statement. He said the Cougar football team was ranked in the top 20 for three years prior to last year, the basketball team was in the NCAA tournament last year, and in 1990 the football team was in the top 10. "I would consider those rankings very competitive nationally. You can't be number one every year."

Davalos was commended for his part in bringing large donations to UH, and for getting more games nationally televised.

"Davalos helped to bring more national recognition to UH through soliciting funds, like the $25 million from the Moores, but he should have stayed here to help finish what he started," said Adam Gonzales, a senior psychology major.

Corin Hoggard, a senior biology major, thought Davalos did a good job because "he helped to schedule big games for football, such as Miami and Michigan, which brought in a lot of money to the school and gave UH national exposure."

Nance said he hoped the donations would continue. "It remains to be seen, but most people give to a university, not an individual. I don't think Rudy's leaving will have much effect on our donations."

STUDENT GIVEN AWARD AFTER CHASING THEFT SUSPECT

by Phillip Baeza

"We don't give many of them out," said UH Police Chief George Hess about the Citizen Award given to a UH student.

Mark Halk, a junior majoring in finance, received the civilian award for his help in apprehending a thief on campus.

On Thursday, Oct. 15, Halk was on the third floor of the M.D. Anderson Library when he saw a black male approach a sleeping female and take her backpack. Halk woke up the woman and asked if she knew the man. When she said no, Halk followed the suspect and found him rummaging through the bag. When the man saw Halk he started to run.

Halk lost the man on the third floor, and then went down to the front desk to tell them there had been a robbery. Halk saw the suspect again on the first floor and continued to chase him. The man escaped from the building through a fire exit, but he was seen by a construction worker who pointed out to Halk which way he had run.

Meanwhile, the library worker at the front desk was giving UHPD the description of Halk as the thief. Halk was stopped by UH police Officer Augustine Gonzalez near the visitor's parking lot. "When I stopped him, from the description I got, a white male, I thought I had the thief," Gonzalez said.

Halk told Gonzalez he was chasing the thief. Gonzalez told Halk to jump in the car, thinking he at least had Halk in the car if he was lying. The suspect was chased to the Black Eyed Pea restaurant on Calhoun Street where he was finally stopped by Halk and Gonzalez.

According to UHPD assistant police Chief Frank Cempa, the suspect was wanted in connection with other robberies in the area.

Hess said only six Citizen Awards have awarded since UH police started giving them out in 1985.

Cempa said, "We treat them (Citizen Awards) like gold, and we give them out on an average of less than one a year, but we give them to the people who really deserve them, like Mark."

BRIEFS

'NAKED GUY' SUSPENDED

BERKELEY, Calif. (CPS) -- The "Naked Guy" is at is again.

Andrew Martinez, 19, was suspended from the University of California at Berkeley after the sophomore attended a meeting with school administrators -- nude, of course -- to discuss his negative attitude about attire.

The university recently banned public nudity on campus in response to Martinez's efforts to promote his nakedness as a form of free speech.

According to campus police, Martinez was arrested twice in October for strolling and jogging around the campus sans clothing. The student also led a Sept. 29 "nude-in" in which he and a couple of dozen supporters stripped in protest at a campus plaza.

STUDENT FILES SUIT

PHILADELPHIA (CPS) -- A Temple University student has filed a $1 million lawsuit against the city for false arrest and police negligence, claiming he was wrongly imprisoned for six weeks.

The suit, filed in U.S. District Court, said Gbolahan Olabode, a physical therapy and pre-med major, was picked up at a laundromat for questioning by Philadelphia police. According to police, Olabode matched the description of a male suspect in a nearby house robbery and rape attempt.

A woman who witnessed the robbery identified Olabode, of Nigeria, as the assailant, but both she and other witnesses also said that he man did not have an accent, while Olabode has a distinct accent.

"There is nothing worse than taking an innocent man's freedom from him," Olabode, 26, told The Temple News. "The cops knew that it wasn't me and it is scary when you have to go on what they say."

Robert Young, a spokesman for the police department, said this office had no information about the case and referred questions to the city solicitor.

'INTEGRITY WEEK'

DAVIS, Calif. (CPS) -- Academic pressures, especially during midterms, often tempt students to cheat on research papers or tests, so the University of California at Davis has organized Integrity Week to emphasize honesty.

"We're trying to let students and faculty know how important integrity is to the quality of education here," said Jeanne Wilson, director of the Office of Student Judicial Affairs.

Activities included forums, posters and an essay contest.

Wilson told The California Aggie that students should be aware of the ramifications of academic dishonesty and instructors should establish clear rules, monitor examinations and change exam questions to prevent cheating.

AFTER FINAL EXAMS, SMASH CLAY, PAINT, POT, PUTTER IN THE UC

by Yonca Poyraz Dogan

Want to build a work desk? Make some inexpensive silver jewelry? How about making some stained glass gifts for Christmas? Or, want to create some decorated ceramic mugs for Thanksgiving?

Whether you're a distinguished artist, an uninspired amateur or just bored, the Art Center in the basement of the UC probably has <i>something<p> that will inspire you.

"Students can come in and work on the pottery wheel, buy clay here and play around with it, hire the dark room area for $3 an hour and develop their black-and-white films and use whatever we supply here," said Joy Freeman, assistant manager of the Art Center.

Students who work with clay pound it around, punch on it and work out their frustrations -- especially after examinations, she said.

The center also offers non-credit courses that usually start two weeks after the semester begins.

Jewelry making, photography and ceramics classes have remained popular, but this semester the ceramics course didn't draw enough students to make a class, Freeman said.

"Students who don't have a creative outlet are able to get that here. If they are good with their hands, they feel a sense of accomplishment," she said.

"The other thing is that it allows the people to take an idea that is not tangible and turn it into reality; it exercises a different part of their minds," she said.

Patrick Moore, a local artist who takes a print-framing class, said the course is very relaxing.

"People make things usually for themselves, and they may save money," Freeman said. "If you're figuring out what your time is worth it may not be cheaper, but what you get is satisfaction -- that's important."

The Art Center doesn't sell art supplies because they take up too much room, but students in the picture framing class get 20 percent discounts on materials.

Buying someone else's creation is more expensive because buyers have to pay for the design, the time that the artist spent to create the work and three or four times the cost of materials, she said.

The cost of making a computer table costs less than $40. Students can also make bookshelves, tables and chairs at the center.

In one of the woodworking classes, a man who was about to be a father made a baby cradle, Freeman said.

Freeman wears two of her creations -- a silver ring and a bracelet. She teaches a jewelry class in which the silver costs from $3.75 to $4.10 per ounce. This makes for inexpensive jewelry because it's possible to make a ring with one ounce of silver, she said.

Computer technology senior Thuy Nguyen, who attends photography courses, said taking the class improved her camera skills.

The Art Center's staff can advise students who need visual aids for oral presentations. They also show students how to make banners for their organizations.

The stained-glass class has been popular, although this is only the second semester it's been offered. A woodworking class is scheduled for the spring semester.

Tuition is $25 and, depending on the class, there may be a $20 laboratory fee.

"We want to reach more students. Students don't realize that they can come here without taking any classes and just use the tables," she said. "We would like to have more people in here working or developing skills."

MARSHALL U. PRESIDENT PULLS REINS ON SCHOOL PAPER

----(CPS) -- Marshall University's president formed a media board to oversee the student newspaper after it printed the name of a rape victim earlier this year.

The situation has gotten so contentious that a journalism professor at the Huntington, West Virginia university has sued President J. Wayne Gilley, and the newspaper is considering a lawsuit, claiming its First Amendment rights may have been violated.

The journalism department's faculty members who acted as advisers to the paper were removed by the media board. They're worried that the newspaper could be managed by people who don't have a background in journalism and constitutional law.

"I don't know if there are any positive lessons out of this," said Kevin Melrose, editor of The Parthenon. "It has had a chilling effect. It is an obvious punitive action for us stepping out of line. I don't think that Gilley's way is the right way. Our policy is the root of the controversy."

The dispute germinated in September, when the paper's editorial board voted to publish a story about an off-campus rape and identify both the victim and where she lives. Campus organizations criticized the disclosure, saying it violated the woman's right to privacy, but Melrose stood by this decision, saying the paper would publish a rape victim's name again.

On Oct. 29, Gilley established a student media board that not only is charged with the oversight of The Parthenon but also the university's yearbook and FM radio station. University spokesman C.T. Mitchell said Gilley wanted more campus participation in overseeing the media than just from the journalism and communications departments.

The board is made up of three faculty members, including one from the journalism department, three students, including one majoring in journalism, a staff member, and two representatives named by Gilley.

The primary responsibilities of the board, according to Gilley, include acting as publisher and upholding the First Amendment; adopting policies and by-laws; approving budgets; appointing editors, station managers and news directors; consulting with the journalism department on appointing faculty advisers; and evaluating the performance of board members.

The journalism faculty voted not to be represented on the board.

Deborah Beluomini, an associate journalism professor, said that while the rape victim disclosure issue has died down, the media board is perceived as threatening the integrity of the paper. "There is apprehension. It is a rather anxious time for the paper," she said.

Mark Goodman, executive director of the Student Press Law Center in Washington, said Gilley may have violated due process since the journalism advisers essentially were ousted from their positions.

"The president didn't want to do this by himself, so he created a board that he believes will do his bidding," he said. "The board legally cannot control content decision. It seems clear it was created to try to censor the publication."

Dwight Jensen, an associate professor of journalism, sued Gilley in state court on accusations of not following university procedures and violating First Amendment rights. A judge refused to grant an injunction. Jensen doubts he will appeal.

"They sugar-coated it, but it is still a veiled attempt to control the newspaper," said Melrose. "The board can do irreparable damage to the school of journalism and communications."

MEDICINE ALBUM PRESCRIPTION FOR HAPPINESS

by Manuel Esparza

In the beginning there was chaos. Slowly an order emerged and this was good. No, this is not creation; rather, it is how the group Medicine's debut album, <i>Shot Forth Self Living<p> starts.

Usually it's easy to dismiss groups whose sound relies so much on distortion as untalented upstarts. However, Medicine's member's are not musical tyros. Each is a veteran of other outfits, notably guitarist Brad Laner (Savage Republic) and singer Beth Thompson (Four Way Cross). Jim Putnam is the other guitarist and also "plays" the ham radio. In addition the drummer, Jim Goodall, is an ex-Flying Burrito Brother, among other things. Bassist Eddie Ruscha rounds things out.

The music here is highly experimental salted with just enough conventionality to make it more palatable. Reading the liner notes before listening to the disc will help one understand what the band is trying to accomplish. Using a quiver of effects, each song is an alloy of feedback, static, and six-string screams topped off with vocals as soothing as a mother comforting her child.

The tracks are not written as much as they are crafted. Brad, gifted guitarist and cagey cacophoner, has been recording experimental tapes since he was 14. He relates a period where he disdained anything remotely song-like. But it is his dedication to his studio work that produces the noises interleaved into the tracks.

Sneeky Pete, ex-Burrito Bro' and pedal steel guitar guru, has added his own touches to the album. His pedal steel creates unearthly undertones to the tracks "A Short Happy Life" and "Christmas Song". The pedal steel's sounds wrap themselves to the tracks, warping them with its auditory tentacles.

Of the nine tracks here, the most haunting is "Aruca." Its trainwreck segue is an intricate piece of Brad pounding on his acoustic guitar with his fist. The abuse lasts almost a full minute before it evolves into a dreamworld industrial dance tune. Her mesmerizing melodies are the Sirens luring mariners onto the rocks of the seething guitars. Originally released on their eponymous EP, it is a piece that would fit well in a lurid Gothic tale.

"Queen Of Tension" shows the diversity Medicine can achieve. It starts off with what sounds like Beth serenading a construction site. Then it gains momentum, speeding up and becoming instrumental. The variety of sounds are a cacophonic concert complete with chirping crickets.

Disc opener "One More," a nine-minute epic, is an impressive piece. It hovers on the edge of dischord and music. It slides in and out of chaos and order.

Medicine has effectively made an experimental album sound musical. Or rather they made a musical album sound experimental. <i>Shot Forth Self Living<p> takes listeners to, in Coleridge's words:

The savage place! As holy and enchanted

As e'er beneath a waning moon was haunted

By a woman wailing for her demon lover

The savage place! As holy and enchanted.

'OUTLAW' COMIC AT COOG'S CAFE

by Sally Pouncy

Attention all students with no money, no car and nothing to do this Friday night. The Student Program Board has the answer to your campus blues -- a free show featuring musician-comedian Ron Crick at Coog's Cafe, Friday, Nov. 20.

Crick has been performing his brand of musical parody for more than 10 years on the night-club scene and comes to UH on the eve of his venture into the realm of club-based talk shows.

Since Crick performs in night clubs, SPB has chosen Coog's Cafe for the performance.

"We have been trying out Coog's as an alternative place for acts on campus. It is the closest thing on campus to an actual club-like atmosphere," said Frank San Miguel, SPB large-stage chair.

"We chose Ron because he's damn funny and is starting to get more and more known around the state," Miguel said.

Crick may not be a household name yet, but he has many accomplishments behind him. He founded the Texas Outlaw Comics and has performed with Tom Waits, George Thorogood, Warren Zevon and Loudon Wainright III.

UH student Stephan Beal will open the show with an acoustic guitar set.

KEEP THE FAITH ANSWER TO FANS' PRAYERS; FIRST BON JOVI RELEASE IN FOUR YEARS

by Jeff Balke

Bon Jovi's new album is considerably different and more mature than their previous releases, but it remains faithful to the hard-driving, blue-collar rock and roll that brought the band multi-platinum success.

After a four-year hiatus, the original members of Bon Jovi are back with <i>Keep the Faith<p>, a harder and more progressive effort from the New Jersey natives.

Speculation that the band was going to permanently hang it up was ended when Bon Jovi reunited for a 1991 New Year's Eve show in Japan. Singer Jon Bon Jovi and guitarist Richie Sambora have both been busy with solo albums and various projects. Even keyboardist David Bryan scored and co-produced the soundtrack for <i>Netherworld<p>.

Now, Bon Jovi, Sambora and Bryan have rejoined bassist Alec John Such and drummer/ percussionist Tico Torres for their 10th year and fifth album together. This time, however, Bon Jovi has enlisted the talents of veteran producer Bob Rock, who has energized the band and given <i>Keep the Faith<p> a raw but progressive sound.

In fact, the extra time Bon Jovi spent in the studio paid off. Judging by the use of effects on the vocals, intricate guitar parts and generally longer songs, including a nearly ten-minute epic called "Dry Country," it is apparent that this is a different Bon Jovi.

The lyrics are decidedly more introspective and the arrangements more adventuresome, not to mention the fact that Sambora has gained new life as a guitarist. His solos are raw and intense, no doubt inspired by the opportunity to pursue his semi-solo career.

More faith has been placed in the vocals this time around as well. Back-up vocals stand more on their own and give singer Bon Jovi the chance to stretch out as a vocalist -- adding singing acrobatics and even some cheesy Lou Reed-like talking over parts of the title track.

With all the advances from previous efforts, the only drawbacks to <i>Keep the Faith<p> are some relatively weak attempts at fist-raising rock 'n' roll, phoney power ballads and a pretentious epic song. Fortunately, the minuses don't outweigh the pluses of <i>Keep the Faith<p>.

SHOULD SCHOOLS BE CO-ED OR SINGLE SEX?

by Amy Reynolds

(GPX) The question is a simple one -- do men and women have different educational needs that are sometimes better addressed in gender-specific situations?

The answer isn't so easy.

For centuries, schools have sprouted up across the United

States, some of which are all-male, some of which are all-female and some of which both sexes attend.

But as society moves toward a discrimination-free world, people now wonder whether recognizing differences and isolating them is OK.

Take the Virginia Military Institute, for example. The state military school has an all-male policy that dates back to its beginning in 1839.

VMI prides itself on its rigorous physical and psychological challenges as well as solid academics.

Freshmen at VMI are called "rats" because, as one alumnus explains, "the mentality that you're the lowest form on earth."

Chris Schinstock graduated from VMI in 1990 and now attends Washington and Lee University's Law School. The two schools sit in the Shenandoah Valley in the picturesque town of Lexington, Va.

"The rat line is about building unity, becoming a class. When I was a rat, we would have sweat parties," Schinstock says. The sweat parties, or intense periods of exercise, came at the hand of the upperclassmen.

The VMI cadets are rats for about six months. During those months, the rats learn VMI's history, about its class system and the school's rank structure, they memorize a 64-page "Rat Bible" and have their heads shaved during Hell Night.

"It's very intense," Schinstock says. "It teaches you how to survive."

When you start at VMI you also team up with a dyke -- a sort of big brother/little brother system.

"The dyke (a senior), was more of a father-figure, a helping person. But you have to do your part, too," Schinstock says.

The VMI days are long, generally starting at 6 a.m. and ending with lights out at 11 p.m. The barracks where all cadets stay are bare -- no locks on the doors, no curtains on the windows. Showers and bathrooms are all open.

The uniqueness of the rat and dyke systems are just a few of the reasons VMI students and alumni don't want women to attend their school.

"If women were admitted, I think academics would get better, but they'd have to segregate females," Schinstock says. "They'd have to get new barracks and the dyke system wouldn't work. The whole system now is based on everyone being equal."

"I think what offends alumni (about women attending) is that (outsiders) don't look at the whole system," he adds. "Alumni went through four year of a school with a unique experience and it just wouldn't be the same with women. They're not trying to demean women, they're just saying that we should admit that the (VMI system) is based on differences between men and women and let's address that."

Schinstock isn't alone in his thinking.

Women's colleges and universities across the country cite study after study when asked about the benefits of a single-sex surrounding.

For example:

• Women who graduate from an all-women's school are twice as likely to pursue a doctoral degree as women graduating from co-educational institutions.

• Specifically in the area of natural science, women's school graduates are five times more likely to pursue a Ph.D.

• According to Business Week's list of the 50 women rising fastest in corporate America today, 30 percent had graduated from women's colleges.

• Of the 31 women members of Congress, 40 percent graduated from a women's college.

• Of the more than 4,000 highest paid directors and officers in Fortune 1000 companies, less than one-half of one percent were women. But of those women, one-third were graduates of women's colleges.

"Our success rate is so astonishing," says Mary-Linda Merriam, president of Moore College of Art and Design in Philadelphia, the only women's school for design in the U.S. "One-third of the women who serve on corporate boards in the United States are graduates of women's colleges."

Why?

Merriam and others credit several factors. First, "the students at women's colleges see women in far more leadership positions -- as professors, administrators, presidents," Merriam says.

Second, "historically, there's the reality that women attending women's colleges have been encouraged in the areas of math and science. There's no field that women can't do well in" when they attend a women's school, she adds.

But, perhaps the key reason experts cite is that women are not over-powered in the classroom by their male counter-parts.

Alison Burleson, a sophomore at Agnes Scott College in Atlanta, agrees.

"I didn't choose Agnes Scott because it was a single-sex school," Burleson says. "The single-sex side of it turned out to be an added plus."

"I appreciate that, because if I went to a coed school I don't think I would have spoken out in the classroom as much and I don't' think I would have had as many opportunities with internships and hands-on experience," she adds. "I've gained a sense of confidence from it."

Merriam wholeheartedly believes Burleson's experience is common for women at women's colleges.

"I think it's by design, the encouragement that women get from women's colleges. They learn to value themselves. That puts the woman at an advantage," Merriam says.

The benefits of learning in a unique, tailored atmosphere has received more attention since a female high school student sued VMI to gain admittance.

The case is still pending and is expected to reach the Supreme Court in the next couple of years.

When the VMI case was decided in District Court, however, District Judge Jackson L. Kiser upheld VMI's right to remain all-male, saying that the school's discrimination served an important purpose since the school's uniqueness would be lost if women were admitted.

Kiser went on to say that "A substantial body of 'exceedingly persuasive' evidence supports VMI's contention that some students, both male and female, benefit from attending a single-sex college. For those students, the opportunity to attend a single-sex college is a valuable one, likely to lead to better academic and professional achievement."

The Justice Department appealed Kiser's ruling.

"People are all upset because we're a state-supported school," Schinstock says. "But where do you draw the line? Every study done shows the benefits of single-sex education. This (case) is because it's politically correct to support co-educational education."

Schinstock adds, "What underlies a lot of people's frustration at VMI is that it's such a unique system that men and women both want to attend, but if women do attend, that uniqueness will be lost. As an alum, I agree with that assessment. It's a Catch-22."

Although nearly everyone supports the option of single-sex education, some people are concerned that the premise will be taken too far.

At Ursuline College in Pepper Pike, Ohio, a new curriculum has been developed for women under the premise that men and women learn differently.

Katherine Keough, associate dean and chairwoman of the education department at Xavier University in Cincinnati has been a vocal opponent to that kind of thinking.

"I don't believe that brains are gender-specific or that knowledge is gender-specific," Keough says.

She adds, however, that she has no problem with single-sex education as a whole.

"I believe that there should be single-sex educational options available to people just as there should be co-educational options available. Our whole education system is based on choice, on your being able to select the environment best for you," Keough says.