BOXING FEDERATION CANCEL SIGMA CHI FIGHT NIGHT

by Michael D. Oeser and Meagan McGovern

The Sigma Chi fraternity was forced to turn potential philanthropists away at the door Friday night from what would have been its 18th annual Fight Night for charity.

The fraternity called off the student boxing competition after the Amateur Boxing Federation refused to sanction the event. The ABF threatened any member involved with up to one year in jail and $1,000 to $2,000 in fines, Chapter President Ralph Coatsworth said.

Boxing events are required to be sanctioned by state law for injury insurance purposes, said Ross Lence, the academic advisor for Sigma Chi.

"The ABF said they would have to levy a fine if the event was held," said Lence, a political science professor.

"The fraternity voted and decided not to hold the event so they wouldn't bring the university's name into it," he said.

Coatsworth said the ABF had always sanctioned their charity event in the past. "They've never said anything before," he said. Coatsworth, a junior business major, said the ABF's official reason for refusing to sponsor was the event's contestants were not even amateur boxers and thus compromised the ABF referees' style.

"What they told us personally is that the fighters we have eat potato chips and drink beer all year and then get up and fight," Coatsworth said.

"But what people in the amateur boxing community say is that they're jealous of the fact that we can draw more people than they can at their events," Coatsworth said, adding that his organization promised to ensure the ABF would be associated with the event.

"We're on their blacklist," he said. "But there are some people in ABF on our side, and they are a good organization."

Sigma Chi is considering filing a counter suit to recover losses, said Lence. He said the cancelation was in violation of anti-trust laws because one of the members of ABF encouraged the fraternity to have the event without getting sanctioned. The ABF originally said the event could go on if the fraternity would provide its own insurance. The fraternity now is liable for the $10,000 it put toward the event.

A letter from the ABF president, circulated within the federation, said anyone who tried to help the fraternity with Fight Night "would be dealt with," said Lence. "Its intent was clear, but I just can't understand what the motive is."

"It's a mystery as to why they canceled the event. It's obviously a political thing with people within the ABF," he said. "I can't believe anyone would care that a group of kids wants to have a boxing match."

Fight Night is the largest event sponsored by a single campus organization. Last year's 1,500-plus crowd raised more than $2,000 for charity, a typical amount for the event, Coatsworth said.

*******************************************************

TWENTY LANGUAGES, NATURAL BARRIERS SEPARATE KENYA'S DIVERSE POPULATION

by David Sikes

Kenya is plagued by ongoing clashes between the country's diverse cultures. Despite its upcoming election, it is unlikely the fragmented society will unite, said a historical observer.

On Dec. 7, Kenya will hold the first multi-party election in its history. David Sperling, a University of Nairobi professor, came to UH Thursday to discuss the country's struggle to arrive at this point.

Five candidates are vying for the country's presidency. A candidate must not only win a majority of the popular vote, but carry at least 25 percent of the votes in five of the countries ethnic regions, Sperling said.

Sperling spoke not as a historical observer but as a citizen who has lived the Kenya experience for 32 years. He has struggled alongside fellow Kenyans to unite its many staunchly separate cultures. In 1961, he was the founding principal of Strathmore College, the first non-racial college in Kenya. Sperling now teaches African history at the University of Nairobi.

Sperling drew parallels and contrast between Kenya and the United States after their respective revolutions. Kenya gained independence in 1963 after more than 70 years of British colonial rule.

"The imperial mind was oblivious to the African people," Sperling said. "It had little understanding and sympathy for their cultures and way of life."

As in America, some of Kenya's problems come from deep cultural and ethnic differences. Geographical barriers separate ethnic groups, dividing the country and its people. The colonial power in Europe ignored these natural boundaries and looked not so much to the people as to the land and its resources, Sperling said.

Some African countries ignore these arbitrary lines imposed by the British. The neighboring Somali government drew up a secret map in 1973 that shows Somalian-speaking people living in Ethiopia and Kenya. Sperling showed this map Thursday night as part of his explanation of the 300,000 Somalian refugees in Kenya. He said the map had never been shown in the United States before.

Eighty-five percent of Kenya's population live in rural areas that are ethnically homogeneous. Americans, unlike Kenyans, have a general concept of the national culture which bonds its citizens together, Sperling said. Even Kenya's 15 percent educated-elite population is diversified along ethnic and cultural lines.

More than 100 dialects and 20 languages are spoken by Kenya's 24 million citizens.

The rural population works as farmers, fisherman, cattle and sheep herders and nomadic hunter/gatherers. The different groups cannot migrate or settle in areas they did not originate from, giving each region a fixed ethnic composition.

Sperling's lecture was sponsored by the Speakers' Forum Committee of the Student Program Board as part of UH's Diversity Month.

STUDENTS PRESENT LOW-INCOME HOUSING DESIGNS TO DEVELOPERS

by Melissa Neeley

UH architecture professors and students presented their designs of more than 60 low-income houses to members of the Second Ward community Friday.

The project was created to improve infrastructure within communities in the Second Ward, said Bill Smith, a representative from the mayor's office.

"This is the first subdivision that Houston has ever developed. We think that we will be doing more projects like this in the future," Smith said.

Six teams and individual architects from the UH College of Architecture started designing the housing project, "La Villa de las Flores," on the weekend of Dec. 7-8 of last year. Before the design of the houses had been completed, Second Ward community leaders and families offered input about their culture to aid the designers.

"We're working together to address issues and also to get interaction from the community groups. It's a learning experience because community groups and students bring different knowledge to create the housing," said team member Ernest Maldonado.

One family, the Aguillars, wanted to buy one of the houses and offered design advice to help students get a better idea of the community's needs. They spent four hours with some of the design groups telling them about family size and other specifics of their culture.

Gerardo Aguilar learned about the housing project over the radio and immediately got in touch with community developers to find out more, he said.

"I'm interested in these houses because of the price, the design and the efficiency of the construction. This will also improve the whole community in general," he said.

A survey of other families who wanted housing showed many have extended families. One architecture student, Laura Bennet, designed houses that would hold many people, and she said the houses would expand as the family grew by having other rooms added.

At Friday's presentation, Bennet spoke with community housing recipients about the materials she had in mind for the floors and walls of the house.

The floors should be made of easy-to-clean tiles to help the mothers, she said. A concrete filling inside the walls of the house would keep unwanted noise out, said Bennet, a fourth-year architecture student.

The houses will cost between $35,000 to $45,000, so a main objective for the students was to put as much space in the house for as little money as possible. All the houses have three to five bedrooms, and many have attics that can be converted to bedrooms.

Most of the houses will range in size from 950 to 1500 square feet. Many will also have enclosed back yards that allow for a playing area for children and contain enough space for a garden.

One team emphasized dining space and designing bedrooms as big as possible. Laura Skaer, a member of one of the teams, said her team tried not to waste space on the hallways of the house so there would be more room in the kitchen and dining area.

Many of the houses were designed to have two stories, yet still come under budget. Less material would be used to build the roof; therefore, more space could be devoted to enlarging the rooms.

One team designed a house with an adjoining garage which could be transformed into added quarters if the family later expanded, said David Bucek, a team member. If the homeowner's parents decided to move in with the family, the garage could house them, he said.

"We also offer a one-story house that is geared toward older people or disabled people in the community who cannot use stairs," Bucek said.

Originally, city planners wanted to put a wall around the housing project, but community members and students protested that the wall would only isolate the families from their neighbors, said David Thaddeus, director of UH's Community Design Resource Center.

Team member and Architecture Assistant Professor Gabriella Gutierrez said, "They all want to feel part of the neighborhood. By not having the wall, this reinforces the existing fabric of the community living together and taking care of each other."

Vincent Bacerra, who works for a community development corporation, said he was helping to market the houses. He has received 103 responses from people who are interested in buying a house in "La Villa de las Flores," he said.

"We gave some advice to the designers about what the community really wanted," Bacerra said. "For instance, some may have wanted a porch instead of a garage. Also, most of the respondents are involved in masonry and they can add to the house themselves."

RED RAIDERS FREEZE COUGARS AGAIN 44-35

The Cougars' road woes continued at Jones Stadium in Lubbock as Houston lost to Texas Tech 44-35 in front of 27,887 rain-drenched spectators.

The rain-and-sleet-riddled field failed to keep the two teams from compiling 1,156 yards, 643 through the air in a 33-mph north wind.

Tech quarterback Robert Hall, out for the previous three games with a bruised shoulder, passed for 231 yards and three touchdowns, and tailback Byron "Bam" Morris rumbled for a career-high 222 yards on 36 carries.

But Houston's undoing didn't come from the Red Raider's scoring duo -- several key turnovers ended the Cougar's comeback.

With UH at the Tech 17 and trailing 28-21 in the second quarter, Klingler completed a shovel pass to Donald Moffet, who then fumbled at the two after a solid hit by Red Raider free safety Tracy Saul. Brady Field recovered in the end zone for a touchback.

Later, down 41-28 in the fourth quarter, Houston was threatening to score from the Tech two when superback Lamar Smith fumbled and lost the ball to Dusty Beavers. That turnover would prove critical because the UH defense held Texas Tech, and Houston's ensuing possession produced a one-yard touchdown run from Tiandre Sanders to move within 41-35 with 8:39 left.

With shades of the Texas A&M game -- Kirby Adams returned the following kickoff 51 yards to the UH 34. Three plays later, Gerome Williams' interception was wiped out by a defensive holding call and kicker Jon Davis' 34-yard field goal extended Tech's lead to the final 44-35.

The turnovers by Houston (3-7 overall, 1-5 in the Southwest Conference) nullified what was otherwise an outstanding offensive day against Texas Tech (5-6, 4-3).

Klingler was 33-of-57 passing for 412 yards and two touchdowns, and Smith ran for two more on 19 carries for 161 yards while catching three passes for 15 yards and a touchdown.

Defensively, Ryan McCoy led the team with 19 tackles to push his season total to 124.

But Tech exploited the Houston defense for 359 rushing yards, 590 total, and converted 11 of their 16 third downs for a 69 percent effectiveness.

Rice will visit the Astrodome Saturday for the season finale, and Houston has to win to avoid joining TCU at the conference bottom.

VB TEAM RISKS PLAYOFF BID WITH LOSS

The Red Raiders of Texas Tech spared no mercy on the Houston Cougars this weekend.

Not only did the Raiders beat the football team, they also dished out a dismal four-game defeat to the Cougar volleyball team, which could dash Houston's NCAA playoff hopes.

Amid the disappointment of the loss, there was a bright spot for the Cougars.

Volleyball Coach Bill Walton was named SWC Coach of the Year.

Lilly Denoon and Karina Faber were named First Team All-SWC. Amie Roberts was named to the second team.

Coach Walton was flattered with the honor, but he credited his team with the award, citing their hard work during the season.

Walton was selected for the award by his peers, the other five SWC volleyball coaches. It was the first time he has been selected for this honor.

Walton began his coaching career at Elmhurst College, where his teams brought home two Division III National Championships. In 1982, his team reached the NCAA Division III regional finals.

Once Walton reached the University of Houston, he continued his winning ways.

Walton has led the Cougars to their only two NCAA volleyball tournaments in school history. He has won more SWC matches than any other Cougar coach, and has an overall record of 146-85.

All is not lost for the Cougars. Houston can still gain an at-large NCAA tournament bid based on the NCAA National Rating Index for the regions.

The Cougars' errors gave the Raiders the four-game win that escalated them to the SWC finals against the Texas Longhorns. Houston lost 15-13, 12-15, 9-15 and 5-15.

LADY COOGS BASKETBALL STARTS TONIGHT

In the final stages of football season, eyes and interest are now turning toward basketball.

Lady Cougar Basketball is leading the way as the team kicks off their season tonight with an exhibition game at 5 p.m. against the Estonia National Team.

According to pre-season polls, Houston, Texas and Texas Tech are the teams to beat this year.

Last season, Houston finished a strong third in the SWC with a 10-4 record. They lost in the first round of the NCAA tournament to UC Santa Barbara.

The Lady Cougars have a lot of talent because of some heady recruiting.

Coach Jessie Kenlaw feels this year's team has the winning formula for success.

"I'm confident this recruiting class will enable Houston to continue its tradition of excellence in women's basketball. This is a well balanced group which will serve as a foundation of our program for the '90s."

CATHERINE WHEEL ROLLS INTO HOUSTON

by Manuel Esparza

Catherine Wheel's debut disc <i>Ferment<p> started ears buzzing and heads nodding upon its release. Since then, each performance has gained them new fans and critical respect.

Singer and frontman Rob Dickinson (yes, he's related to Bruce Dickenson of Iron Maiden) is a major part of the success.

The band formed in relative isolation in the seaside resort town of Great Yarmouth. Dickinson said it was like living in two different towns. In the summer, it was full of tourists, and the atmosphere resembled a carnival. In the winter, the resort takes on the appearance of a ghost town, with many shops closed until spring. He said not being in London was a big bonus.

"We didn't get caught up in the schmoozing and that whole scene."

This provided them the opportunity to grow into new directions. Catherine Wheel formed and released two EP's in 1991 that blazed through the British indie charts like fire through California brush. With an even more electric live show, they toured with the Replacements, Blur, and shared top billing with Smashing Pumpkins on their last European tour.

"By doing all these gigs, bands get to know their strengths. They get more focused, and get a lot of strong ideas on how the band should sound. Things that don't fit drop by the wayside," said Dickinson. "What is left is the band's true self. Whether you like it or not, this is the band."

As a band, Catherine Wheel is still in their gestation period, and their concept as to how they should sound is still open. As an album, <i>Ferment<p> is as complex and varied as a seven-course meal. The group put together a multi-layered, highly-processed album. Though it is all guitar, the sounds went through a plethora of effects pedals.

"The record is good because of (the effects pedals)," Dickinson said. "Now our live shows are more stripped and dynamic. Our next album will be more direct, less layered.

"Also goals tend to change quite a lot. Our current purpose is quite different. Before, the songs were open-ended, and not always the same show after show. Our songs have enough depth.

"Now people are more aware of our songs and we try to make our gigs sound more like the album."

As original as the band is, they do cover other people's material. Dickinson said the group does it because these are great songs, and they have recorded a few as B-sides for their singles.

Currently on the Spin/Fontana tour with Ocean Color Scene and House of Love, Dickinson and the rest of Catherine Wheel will appear at Fitzgerald's Tuesday, Nov. 24.