STUDENT'S DECAYED BODY FOUND IN COUGAR PLACE

by David Sikes

and Michica N. Guillory

A Cougar Place residence hall staff member found the slightly decomposed body of a male student at 1:15 p.m. Monday.

The body was discovered in room 805 of the Cougar Place Apartments after a UH professor called the manager to report the student's absence.

The name and other identifying information is being withheld until the Japanese Consulate notifies his next of kin, said Eric Miller, director of UH media relations. The time and day of death are unknown.

Jay Kochi, a chemistry professor, notified Cougar Place management that the student hadn't been around for a few days.

Apparently, no foul play was involved because there were no signs of forced entry into his apartment, Miller said.

"I think it was (a) natural (death)," a Guillen and Sons Funeral Home employee said.

"There were no apparent signs of trauma to the body and no signs a fight had occurred," Miller said. "We will have to wait and see what the medical examiner says."

Kochi was too distraught over the death to comment, Miller said.

Both UHPD and Terry Bridges, Cougar Place manager, refrained from comment.

Rayford Ross, a senior business major and the student's suitemate, last saw the student Friday.

"I smelled something Sunday, but I didn't think anything was up," Ross said. "I didn't want to bother him. He stays in his room most of the time."

Al Ransom, a senior RTV major, was with Ross when the body was discovered. The two arrived at the apartment 30 minutes after the body had been discovered. Ross was escorted to the Cougar Place office by police for questioning.

"We were just joking about the guy who got decapitated when we drove up and saw the ambulance and police cars," Ransom said. "The guy (student) was always jolly when I saw him. I don't think they (Ross and student) talked that much. He was more to himself," he said.

*******************************************************

BIOLOGY-BIOCHEM MERGER IN WORKS

by Karen Snelling

As part of the university's restructuring plan, the College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics has formed an advisory committee of professors to propose ways to reorganize the departments of biology and biochemistry.

The committee is considering combining the departments, said Dr. Robert Hazelwood, chairman of the biology department and advisory committee member.

Hazelwood said a merger would make biology and biochemistry classes more efficient because professors would be forced to combine classes and eliminate courses taught in both departments.

With expertise from both departments contributing to the same research projects, the College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics has a better chance of receiving research grants from government agencies, he said.

"There are good reasons to do it and good reasons not to do it," said Dr. Michael Benedik, a professor in biochemistry and advisory committee member.

Professors opposed to combining the two schools argue that the merging of both departments' faculty members will be a problem, Benedik said. Professors have different teaching philosophies and might not be comfortable giving up their present curriculum, he said.

"I'm still torn (over) whether joining the two departments is a good idea or a bad idea," Benedik said.

The six-member committee, composed of two professors from biology, biochemistry and chemistry, will make restructuring recommendations to Dean Dr. Robert Bear in mid-December, Benedik said.

He said although the dean would like restructuring to take place in the fall of 1993, any restructuring decisions probably won't go into effect until the fall of '94.

Hazelwood said so far the committee has looked at the restructuring plans of other UH departments and discussed hypothetical possibilities with faculty members in the College of Natural Science and Mathematics.

Dr. Don Elthon, chairman of the chemistry department, said the chance of combining biology and biochemistry is small because people working in the two departments don't have any interest in merging.

Dr. Horace Gray, a biochemistry professor, said merging the two departments would be too drastic a step for the college.

The committee has also considered restructuring the departments by creating a school of life sciences to serve as a new umbrella over the existing departments, Hazelwood said.

He said this plan would establish one director in charge of all life-science department chairpeople.

Hazelwood said restructuring might cause employees to change their job titles and duties. However, no matter what plan the committee finally chooses, restructuring will not cause faculty or staff in the college to lose their job. "The dean would fight to prevent that," he said.

Hazelwood said the committee had not discussed how restructuring would effect students' degree plans.

The committee, which meets once a week, has examined several restructuring possibilities, Hazelwood said. He said today the committee hopes to narrow down the best plans for further consideration.

SOME FACULTY MEMBERS PLEASED WITH MOORES' MULTI-MILLION-DOLLAR DONATION

by Jeff Balke

The controversial $51.4 million John Moores donated to UH last year has done more good on campus than it may seem, according to some faculty members who have benefitted from it.

Although nearly half ($25 million) went to the athletic department, those departments that received the remaining millions were not displeased.

Dr. David Tomatz, the director of the College of Music, said, "I can't think of one single, solitary thing that would have been better for our students."

Tomatz has a lot to be happy about. The music department received $10 million and $500,000 was just for the band. He said Moores has helped out the music department in the past, including paying for the band's trip to Hawaii for the Aloha Bowl four years ago.

Moores ear marked part of the donated money for graduate fellowships for the school of music in honor of his father, C.W. Moores, Jr., who was a band director in Corpus Christi.

According to Tomatz, the $10 million his department received will be used for a new building. "The plan has received one of the two levels of coordinating board approval, the second of which we hope will go through in January," he said.

The building will be on Cullen Boulevard at Entrance 16 next to the UH Science Center. Ground-breaking ceremonies are scheduled for the fall of 1993 and the work is slated for completion in the fall of '94 if all goes according to schedule, Tomatz said.

"The only missing ingredient (from the music department) is the facility to foster learning," Tomatz said.

Tomatz's excitement over the project is warranted. Few state schools with large music departments are in big cities with a budding fine-arts community, Tomatz said. "This kind of thing (the donation) happens only once a generation," he said.

The facility will house a new 800-seat performance hall, several rehearsal facilities for the opera, choral department and orchestra, a music education resources center and a sophisticated new computer lab in addition to classrooms and offices.

The library is also beginning to reap the rewards of the $1 million it received from the Moores donation.

Don Easterling, chairman of the library committee, said the money was designated for a book fund, from which the library takes interest earned from the $1 million and buys books.

"It was an enormous help," Easterling said. "We're beginning to see the benefits of that donation right now," he added.

"We're buying books like mad for the first time in a long time," he said.

Easterling is also happy that the money can be used over a period of time by taking advantage of the interest. "It is a gift that keeps on giving," he said.

John Scales, the vice chancellor of institutional advancement at the UH System, said that Moores has given nearly $68 million to UH. He said donors are encouraged to give to areas in which they are interested.

Other portions of the $51.4 million given by Moores went to the River Blindness Foundation, restoration of the fountain and the superconductivity lab.

TOTS ARE TOPS AT NEW MUSEUM LOCATION

by Sally Pouncy

When the tykes get tired of turkey take them out for a turn through the new location of the Bayou City's favorite tot attraction: the Children's Museum of Houston.

CMH's new home at 1500 Binz St. has vastly more room than the old Allen Parkway address and is the only building in Houston to have giant children supporting its walls. And for kids, more space means more stuff to do.

Nine galleries house exhibits that make learning fun for kids. Each of the galleries has a name that corresponds to the theme of the exhibits in the hall. The Technikids gallery lets children explore the workings of a car, build their own toy car and design a race track.

The New Perspectives gallery takes the children into a Mexican mercado and a Chinese market place. The kids get to play shopkeepers or customers and can watch puppet shows.

There is a TV studio for children to play in and learn about the techniques of video and audio production.

Little children are not excluded from the festivities and activities at the museum. The Tot Spot gallery lets children under 3 years old play with toys to develop their motor coordination.

The museum also has things for adults. The Teacher and Family Resource Center lets parents and teachers read up on parenting and education topics. Lectures and workshops are also held there.

There is a playground and a picnic area complete with a Victorian playhouse.

Located on the corner of Binz and La Branch streets, the museum is hard to miss with its colorful sign and playful exterior. CMH's hours are 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Tuesday through Sunday. Admission is $3 per person except for children under 2 years old, they get in free.

FLEET OF FEET OFFER BALLET TREAT; NUTCRACKER CELEBRATES 100 YEARS

by Manuel Esparza

Oh, the sheer spectacle of it all. It is a classic fairy tale of childhood dreams. It is an intricate stage show. It is powered by one of the most dynamic musical scores written. It is the Nutcracker.

The Nutcracker has become a standard bearer for the winter holidays. It is this ballet that kicks off the season for a lot of people, 84,000 in Houston alone.

When the show premiered in 1892 St. Petersberg, it was only tepidly received. Since then, it has been staged in many cities and under many different choreographies. Somewhere in the time line, people took the tale to heart. It is this show, more than any other, that keeps many smaller ballet companies fiscally afloat.

This year marks the centennial of the Nutcracker for the world, and the 20th anniversary of its addition to the Houston Ballet's repertory. The first complete performance premiered in Jones Hall in 1972 with Frederic Franklin's choreography.

Ben Stevenson became the artistic director in 1976 and choreographed his own version. In 1987, the ballet moved across the street to the ultramodern Wortham Center. Stevenson worked with Desmond Heeley, a Tony award-winning set designer, to produce the current piece.

Houston's Nutcracker relies on the 'bigger and better' principal. There are 56 dancers (not counting the 75 students from the Houston Ballet Academy), a 40-foot Christmas tree and extravagant costumes. Along with the staggering proportions of each show, there will be 40 performances.

Last year, the English National Ballet used Stevenson's production of the Nutcracker. This year the Pommies get a bigger treat, principals Janie Parker and Li Cunxin. They will be there as part of an exchange between companies. Houston will have the privilege to host principals Agnes Oaks and Thomas Edur for three performances and conductor Paul Connelly for 14.

To do Tchaikovsky right, the symphony will employ 75 musicians and three conductors.

Technicalities aside, this is a perennial favorite. In fact, it is this ballet that usually introduces people to live performances. If you have not seen the Nutcracker in the last five years, what are you waiting for? All 40 performances are expected to sell out.

Shows are at the Wortham Center and ticket prices range from $10 - $50.

SHELLEYAN ORPHAN FAILS TO DELIVER

by Rebecca McPhail

Shelleyan Orphan's <i>Humroot<p> is a lover's promise whispered in the heat of passion; pleasing to the ear, yet containing no real sincerity.

The English duo, composed of Caroline Crawley and Jemaur Tayle, have amassed a collection of 12 songs so quiet and unobtrusive the term "aural wallpaper" seems coined especially for them.

On <i>Humroot<p>, their third release, the two share singing and songwriting chores, with Crawley handling the bulk of the vocals.

Her high, breathy voice handles songs like "Muddied-up" and "Burst" with little problem. She's able to convey the dizzy, confused feeling of both songs with ease. It's when the songs delve a little deeper into the human psyche that Crawley runs into difficulties.

In "Dead Cat," a meditation on death (of cats and otherwise), Crawley lacks the vocal depth to carry the song. Her high sing-song voice nearly turns the tune into a parody of itself.

"Sick," too, seems to suffer from a split personality. The lyrics center on a seemingly dysfunctional couple who find solace in each other's neurosis.

Yet, Crawley's little-girl vocals suggest she has no experience with abnormal behavior, save for what she has witnessed on <i>The Oprah Winfrey Show<p>.

This is not to say, however, that the record doesn't have its moments.

"Dolphins," sung by Tayle, is a tuneful trek through a depressed person's day. The melody is backed by a '70's-style rhythm section and braced with a muted horn section. The lyrics, too, happen to be the most telling on the record.

"I'm a self-indulgent creature," Tayle sings, reflecting not only himself, but the band as well.

Shelleyan Orphan does not suffer from a lack of talent. They simply lack the desire to follow through on the promises they've made.

NAKED BICYCLIST RUN OVER BY POLICE CAR

(CPS) -- When a naked University of New Mexico student gleefully biked through the streets of a California town last spring, he had no idea the joyride would end in road rash and a lawsuit against the police department.

While on Spring Break in San Luis Obispo, Calif., last march, Glenn Westergren, 23, stripped off his clothes and joined three also-bare bicyclists in a ride that was intended, according to the quartet, "to improvise a new mating ritual."

After gathering an audience from local bars and clubs, the four bicycled furiously for two blocks, then all but Westergren came to a quick stop when Officer John Pfeifer turned his police car headlights on them.

Pfeifer continued to chase Westergren, telling him over the car's public address system to stop. Then Pfeifer's patrol car struck the cyclist.

"I heard him downshift," Westergren told the University of New Mexico Daily Lobo. "The next thing I know I was flying through the air."

Westergren, who was not charged in the incident, ended up at a local hospital with stitches and road-rash wounds. Because he would not respond to police questioning, he says his bike was impounded.

Pfeifer was released without comment from the San Luis Obispo Police Department 10 days after the incident.

Westergren, who contends he was deliberately hit by the police car, is suing the San Luis Obispo Police Department for $100,000 in damages. The case is expected to go to trial within six months.

UH-EX KLINGER TO START FOR NFL'S BENGALS

Former UH quarterback David Klingler, the sixth pick overall in the NFL draft last April, will start for the first time in a Cincinnati Bengals uniform on Sunday.

The Bengals, after dropping from playoff contention with a 19-13 loss to Detroit last week, benched starting QB Boomer Esiason in favor of Klingler.

Esiason is having his worst season since being drafted out of Maryland in 1984 and taking the starter's reins in 1985. He has thrown for 11 touchdowns and 15 interceptions and is currently ranked below the top-10 spots in every offensive statistical category.

Coach Dave Shula, the youngest head coach in the NFL, said a long-term change was needed. But the first-year Bengals coach doesn't blame Esiason for the club's 4-7 record.

"There are a lot more problems on offense than just at quarterback," Shula told reporters at a press conference Monday. "The fact that we are where we are points to us making changes in the long-term."

Shula said Klingler will start against Pittsburgh and will most likely start or be involved in the remaining four games of the Bengals' season. Esiason will either be the second- or third-string quarterback. Rice alumnus Donald Hollas, the Bengals' other quarterback, will occupy the spot Esiason doesn't.

The rookie Klingler told reporters he was surprised by Shula's move. The Bengals are hoping the gamble to start Klingler pays off.

"I wasn't anticipating anything," he said. "Our problems were not coming from Boomer as much as they were from all 11 guys. I'd say it's a little bit of a surprise, but this is what happens when your offense plays as poorly as we have."

Klingler will be the center of attention Sunday, but he's used to that. He came out from behind 1989 Heisman Trophy winner Andre Ware's shadow to set 51 NCAA records from 1990-91, including the all-time single season passing record where he averaged 467.3 yards per game in 1990.

He also finished fifth in the voting for the Heisman Trophy that same year. He is ninth in total passing yards for all-time quarterbacks with 9,430. Klingler's 11 touchdowns in a 1990 game against Eastern Washington, a division I-AA school, and his 54 touchdowns for the season are also NCAA records.

If Klingler performs well in the final five games, the Bengals will opt to use him as their future starter and Esiason will be out.

Esiason has said he doesn't want to be on a team that is rebuilding.

"The only thing I can do is wait until the five weeks are over with and take my career somewhere else," he said. "But that's all yet to be seen."

CLASH FOR BAYOU BUCKET SET FOR SATURDAY

by Keith Rollins

The Cougars have one more chance to switch a dismal season into a so-so season.

That opportunity would have to come at the expense of a modern-day Owl-hunt.

Houston will be looking for blood against the Rice Owls at 12:07 p.m. Saturday in the Astrodome in the two team's annual "Bayou Bucket Classic."

The last five years the run-and-shoot offense has picked the Owls clean, keeping the bronze bucket trophy safely tucked away in John Jenkins' office.

At the Bayou Bucket luncheon held Monday at the Astrodome-Sheraton Hotel, Rice Head Coach Fred Goldsmith asked if "there is an 'H' on this thing."

Since Fred Curry, a former Rice guard, became president of the Touchdown Club of Houston in 1974, he promoted the game between the inner-city foes. Houston has dominated the series 17-4.

It's been a while since UH relinquished its paws from the cross-town bragging-rights award, but this year may end in a different way.

The Owls have the better record (6-4), the chance to gain a bowl berth and, most important, a higher degree of confidence stemming from their first assured winning season in 29 years.

"The complexion is different. We're on the other end and Rice has a winning season. But as far as our guys being prepared, they'll certainly be prepared," Jenkins said.

Jenkins thinks the spoiler point-of-view will play an important role.

"From an emotional standpoint, I'm sure counting on our guys being ready to fight and do battle," Jenkins said.

To win, the Cougars' high turnover ratio needs a facelift. Jimmy Klingler must have an interception-free game and 1-yard-line fumbles (there were two in last week's loss to Texas Tech) needs to be erased.

Also, with the overriding threat of Rice running back Trevor Cobb and Owls' quarterback Bert Emanual, who average a combined rushing of 180 yards per game, the Cougar run defense will have to hold.

In reference to the tornado delay at Rice's win over Navy on Saturday, Jenkins said, "Obviously, it wasn't enough to cool down Bert Emanual's or Trevor's wheels. They kept on rolling."

He added that Houston's defense "may be throwing folding chairs out there trying to stop Trevor."

Goldsmith wanted to make it clear that his team will not look past UH to possible bowl match-ups.

"We want to be able to prove to ourselves we can compete with the University of Houston on the football field. Our players want to physically prove they can line up out there. The bowl thing will take care of itself," Goldsmith said.

Houston is coming off its fifth loss on the road this season. Texas Tech beat the Cougars 44-35 in blizzard-like weather conditions.

"I don't know what you should call it -- Ice Capades or what in Lubbock, Texas," Jenkins said.

On the other hand, "The complexion is different when we come into this one in Houston, where we're back in our own habitat in the Astrodome," Jenkins said. "Cougar weather, I call it. That's 72 degrees."

Ironically, three of Rice's wins over UH have occurred in the Dome. The last time was in 1986 when the Owls topped Houston 14-13.

Then Jack Pardee came aboard in 1987, and the Cougars' five-year dominance began.

David Dacus led the 45-21 route over the Owls in 1987.

Andre Ware passed his way by Rice in 1988 and '89 with wins of 45-14 and 64-0.

David Klingler barely kept the streak alive in 1990 beating the Owls for the fourth straight time 24-22.

Last year, Klingler finished the Owls off with ease 41-21.

Not many people thought the "Bayou Bucket Classic" would become such a successful rivalry in Houston.

The name originated from Curry after he decided Houston was known for its dirty bayous. The winner of a closely related rivalry between Indiana and Purdue took home the Old Oaken Bucket, so the Houston-Rice victor won the Bayou Bucket.

On the Curry's family vacation to New Braunfels in the summer of 1974, he was shopping for antiques when he spotted a beat-up bronze bucket.

Curry spent $60 on the bucket. He had a few dents knocked out and then cleaned and mounted it. Later that fall, the Cougars carried it home with them.

The winner of the contest keeps the Bucket for the entire year.

SUPERCONDUCTIVITY SCIENCE FAIR A HIT WITH CHILDREN

by Tom Anderson

Mysteriously collapsing cola cans and gigantic soap bubbles filled Hoffheinz Pavilion Tuesday morning as Texas Center for Super-conductivity-UH showed the stuff that's made them famous at their first science carnival .

Bringing approximately 270 elementary school kids to the university and piquing their interest in science was the primary goal of the science carnival, said Sue Butler, associate director for public affairs at TCSUH.

Almost 30 chemistry, geo-science and physics demonstrations showed the Houston-area fifth graders that science is everywhere, Butler said.

"We want them to learn that science is involved in everythingbut in a fun way," said Mamie Moy, chemistry professor.

"You can tell that kids are just turned on by science," said Tom Hudson, physics professor.

In one experiment, students demonstrated how to crush aluminum cans the "scientific way." The cans were partially filled with water and the water was heated until steam came out of the can. The steam pushed all the air out of the can, and when the can was immediately immersed in ice water, the steam condensed, reducing its volume and causing the atmospheric pressure to crush the can.

Another demonstration students witnessed is nicknamed "Elephant toothpaste." A volunteer mixed Joy dishwashing liquid, food coloring and hydrogen peroxide in a large graduated cylinder.

When he added potassium iodide to the mix, the hydrogen peroxide began to fizz, or decompose. The oxygen given off by the decomposition of hydrogen peroxide caused the dishwashing liquid to foam and exceed the volume of the container. The foam oozed from the graduated cylinder like toothpaste from a tube.

The science carnival was initially the idea of Moy and Hudson. "We've been planning on doing (the science carnival) for two or three years," Hudson said. "Funding wasn't available initially, however."

Moy and Hudson eventually talked to TCSUH about the idea, and TCSUH was able to find the resources. "We've talked about it for years, and we thought fall would be a good time," Butler said.

Moy has worked with several school districts at the elementary, intermediate and high school levels to help develop better science programs.

Hudson travels around the Houston area to do demonstrations for school kids. "I only have one agenda: I want the schools to want me there," Hudson said.

When the school districts funded travel, Hudson has trekked as far as Oklahoma, the Rio Grande Valley and Kansas.

Moy also works with the Welch Foundation to help select 60 scholarship recipients across Texas. The recipients attend either UH, University of Texas at Austin, University of Texas at Arlington or Texas Technical University, Moy said. The program supports residency research at these four institutes.

CAMPUS CRIME NOT NEW, JUST REPORTED MORE OFTEN

(GXP) -- It's August 26, 1990.

In Gainesville, Fla., police discover the first student body in what becomes a string of grisly mutilation-murders. In the end, four University of Florida students and a Santa Fe Community College student die at the hands of a serial killer.

Summer, 1991. A carpet cleaner confesses to killing two University of Florida students in their apartment.

November, 1991. A University of Iowa graduate student shoots and kills three professors, an administrator, a fellow graduate student, and then himself because he didn't win an academic award a few months earlier.

At California State University at Sacramento in December, a man upset with an admissions counselor pulls a BB gun and threatens to shoot her if he isn't admitted to the school.

January, 1992. A University of Toledo police officer murders a 19-year-old nursing student.

At Drexel University in Philadelphia in February, three men beat up then shoot another man in the groin in front of the school's student center -- inside nearly 200 students from Drexel, the University of Pennsylvania and the Community College of Philadelphia are attending a dance. Police call the incident gang-related.

A newspaper advertisement placed by Sterling International, markets a tear gas and red pepper spray, with the slogan, "Be a survivor, not a statistic."

What's happening on college campuses these days?

"We don't know," said Clarinda Raymond, co-director of the Campus Violence Prevention Center at Towson State University in Maryland. "We don't know if campus violence is increasing or not because statistics are not uniformly well kept."

What is known, however, is that the subject of crime on college campuses nationwide is no longer a subject students, parents, administrators and communities are avoiding.

Since the 1986 rape and murder of 19-year-old Jeanne Ann Clery in her Lehigh University dorm room, the popular picture of colleges as peaceful havens for post-teens away from home has dissolved into a much cloudier image.

Certainly, crime on college campuses existed years before Clery was killed, but in the wake of the murder Clery's parents formed an organization that successfully lobbied Congress for passage of what is now called the Crime Awareness and Campus Security Act.

The act requires all campus law enforcement agencies to compile individual campus crime statistics under the FBI's Uniform Crime Reporting system, which provides national crime statistics to the public annually.

The 1991-92 academic year was the first in which schools nationwide were forced to collect the data under the security act. The first year for public release of the compiled information regulated by the Department of Education is the current school year, 1992-93.

"Institutions are accumulating this data and using it to educate and re-educate students about their own responsibilities," said Sheldon Steinbach, general counsel for the American Council on Education.

"Awareness is the greatest tool," Raymond said. "But one thing you have to be careful of is how to make use of the statistics. They're not good for comparisons."

Roger Serra, president of the International Association of Campus Law Enforcement Administrators and chief of police at the University of Washington, agrees.

"It would be unfair to say that crime is going up everywhere," he said. "You must compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges."

Often, experts say prospective students and parents will compare rural and suburban campuses to each other -- an example of the misuse of statistics.

Another problem, Steinbach said, is the attention certain crimes receive.

"There will always be situations like in Gainesville, or the Ted Bundy murders (at a sorority house) at Florida State, but are they likely to re-occur? No," he said.

Although serial killings are rare on or off of a college campus, authorities say it's crucial for students to be aware of all types of crimes occurring at schools.

"There will be some people who will say (the serial killings) happened in Gainesville, Florida, said Lt. Sadie Darnel, spokeswoman for the Gainesville Police department. "They say, 'Oh, it won't happen here.' That's ignorant. You have to try to learn from it whether you live in Gainesville or somewhere else."

Increasing reports of students buying weapons for protection -- from mace and red pepper sprays to guns and knives -- has set off alarms.

"It's a problem that's become so recently apparent that there are no serious statistical studies done on it yet," Raymond said. Raymond said it's a disturbing trend.

"Since 80 percent or more of campus violence is student versus student, I think it's easy to see that if students are armed, crime would escalate to an unprecedented level," she said. "We recommend as strongly as possible that students not arm themselves."

"We do not advocate people trying to buy weapons. They're usually not trained and in most cases, that weapon is used against the person who bought it for protection," Serra said.

Budgetary problems suffered by nearly every state have forced cuts to departments across the board -- and while no area is exempt from the chopping block, Steinbach said, "I think it's fair to say that most (campus police departments) will be insulated from any substantial cuts because of the increased concern with campus security."

Raymond said she hopes that administrators realize that it is critical not to cut too much from law enforcement budgets.

"Sometimes it takes a bad situation to occur for people to realize (the importance)," she said. "But I think most universities will make sure that they think of ways to ensure that their safety departments are not compromised."

Serra said cuts will likely show in areas such as equipment, where security won't be compromised.

He adds that community efforts -- both local and campus -- that have come about as a result of the increasing awareness toward crime have helped substantially.

Now, most schools offer student patrols and escort services at night and often schools are adopting regulations to try to keep non-students from spending unnecessary time on campus.

In the past, many crimes committed at suburban universities happened at the hands of "outsiders."

One such situation occurred last fall and this spring at the University of Illinois at Champaign-Urbana.

Several reports of large gangs of young men attacking students walking through campus prompted city police as well as campus police to station undercover officers in what students call the "Campustown" area.

Because the majority of the attacks involved black "locals" attacking white students, police say they believe the incidents involve local high school gangs.

"Gang violence is becoming a rising phenomenon on college campuses," Raymond said. "There's a big gang problem at UCLA and at the University of Maine involving Indian tribal violence."

Still, in the midst of the emerging campus crime issues --like how to uniformly report crime, how to thwart students' fear and how to maintain security -- Steinbach said it's important to keep perspective.

"The only evidence we have (about crime reporting guidelines' effectiveness) is in Pennsylvania, which has had more severe guidelines (than the Campus Security Act) since 1987," Steinbach said. "It really had no noticeable impact."

In terms of security budget cuts, "I haven't heard of any yet," he said, and adds regarding student fears, "I do hear about and see a significant increase in women taking self-defense classes, but they're not out there buying Uzis."

BRIEFS

BUSH STILL PREZ?

(CPS) -- George Bush, U.S. president, Republican, Yale alum, will be out of work on Jan. 20, 1993.

Conversely, Yale University is conducting a massive search for an new president. A match made in heaven?

"It is only rumor," said Yale spokeswoman Martha Matzke.

A 10-person search committee is looking for a replacement for former Yale President Benno C. Schmidt Jr. About 300 names have been sent to the committee, and Matzke said it could be possible that Bush's name is on the list. However, the members are working under strict confidentiality, so whether or not Bush is on the list and is a serious contender is not known.

Another Yale alum mentioned? President-elect Bill Clinton, law, class of 1973. He, however, has a new job.

KIRK MUST DIE!

MONTREAL (CPS) -- A McGill University senate advisory group has quashed a student initiative to officially name the student center after <i>Star Trek's<p> William Shatner.

Last spring, students voted to name the building after the actor who played Capt. James T. Kirk of the USS Enterprise. Shatner studied commerce at McGill in the 1950s.

Derek Drummond, director of McGill's school of architecture and a member of the advisory committee, said the group could only name buildings after people who have given the university a lot of money, or contributed to the school in some other way and are dead.

"William Shatner's problem is that he breathes," Drummond said in the Oct. 30 issue of Canadian University Press.

Alex Usher, a coordinator of the attempt to get the building's name changed, said he was "disappointed, but not exactly surprised," considering the difficulties of naming a building after a living person.

"I suppose I can understand the dead part," he said. "Otherwise the person might go on to do something really weird."

Usher said students intend to call the building the Shatner Building, regardless of the university's decision. McGill students voted by a margin of 51 percent to change the name of the building in a referendum that prompted the largest voter turnout in 15 years.

LONG DISTANCE

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. (CPS) -- A spurned college student in Austria has admitted making more than 10,000 harassing telephone calls totaling $30,000 to Harvard University students.

The Austrian student, who would dial the Harvard prefix and then random four-digit numbers, called an average of 10 students a day over the past three years, and sometimes would threaten to kill women who answered the phone.

He was finally identified when a female student told Harvard police she suspected the caller might be a student she met in 1989.

Officials doubt that legal action can be taken because of international red tape. Detectives located the caller in Austria and recommended to his family that he receive therapy for his behavior.