UH RESHAPING GARNERS STATE-WIDE ATTENTION

by Meagan McGovern

As UH undergoes a massive restructuring project to salvage as much as possible from the harsh budget cuts looming ahead at the state level, state legislators and universities are watching and waiting for results.

State Representative Talmadge Hefflin said because no other major universities in Texas are preparing for the budget cuts, it seems likely the legislature will reward UH for its efforts.

"If we don't reward UH for trying to do more with less, and for listening to what we've been saying about budget cuts, what kind of message are we sending?" asked Hefflin.

The reshaping of the university is designed to redirect UH's resources to areas where hard-to-come-by funding will be the most effective. So UH administrators and faculty have been scrutinizing programs since July, trying to focus on which ones warrant priority treatment. Programs and areas not in tune with those priorities will be changed or streamlined.

With the state projecting a $5 billion to $6 billion short-fall for the next fiscal year, reshaping was designed to begin before the next legislative session. Any changes decided upon will begin in the fall '93 semester.

UH President James Pickering said of the attention: "I'm glad we're getting recognition, but on the other hand, I'd like to deserve it. We have a lot of work ahead of us."

He said the end result of the reshaping is more important than the fact people are watching the process. "The outcome will be critically important," he said.

Pickering believes the most important point is that UH benefits from its effort. "Here's our chance to ask, 'Why do you do that, are there better ways, and what would happen if you didn't do that?' "

Thomas Plaut, the chief revenue estimator for the state, said despite the dire warnings by state legislators about the upcoming budget short-fall, few educators are doing much about it.

He said he was surprised by the lack of planning by both the University of Texas and Texas A&M.

Plaut commended UH and said the university is headed in right direction. "Strategic planning processes will be rewarded and playing around won't."

"(State Lt. Gov. Bob) Bullock is really serious. There are going to be big reductions," Plaut said.

Even the governor of Texas has asked individual schools to be creative with solutions. In a recent letter to the chairwoman of the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board, Gov. Ann Richards wrote: "It is unrealistic for institutions of higher education to expect much in the way of additional funds in 1994-95."

She continued, "As we begin our work on the Texas budget, our starting point ... will assume no additional money from what was spent in 1992-93. Given the severity of the budget situation we cannot even guarantee this funding will ultimately be available."

John Cater, chair of the board of regents for the UH System, said other universities are ignoring the bleak predictions from Austin. "It's hard to believe nothing is going on," he said. "Their idea is 'we need every penny we asked for and we're gonna fight for it.' I don't understand that. It's offensive to have them ignore (the current budget situation.)"

State representative Robert Eckels said students should let their representatives know UH funding is important to them.

"The Harris county delegation is pretty sympathetic to the problem," said the UH alumnus. "If people realize the uniqueness of the school, of its place in the business community, they'll be more willing to help."

Each department, or unit, is undergoing an internal review of strengths, weaknesses and budget information, according to the reshaping plan.

Each unit has examined current services and spending, and has drawn up plans for services and spending in the event of a 10 percent budget cut, a 3 percent cut and a 5 percent increase.

Departments have also reviewed how to streamline and improve services if funding remains at current levels.

Their analysis was turned over to the dean or divisional manager this week, who will then do the same thing on a broader level.

*******************************************************

THIEVES USING UH CAMPUS FOR CHRISTMAS SHOPPING

The fast-paced holiday season combined with the chaotic final-exam period is contributing to what is statistically the biggest crime problem on campus -- theft.

"Different factors like more parolees being released, finals and the end of the semester have people preoccupied," said UHPD Lt. Helia Durant. "People are leaving their offices and cars unlocked, keys lying around and briefcases and purses out."

According to UHPD's monthly campus security update, of 527 criminal offenses committed, 455 of them were thefts.

"There are people who use our libraries who aren't UH students," Durant said. "That's where a lot of thefts of unattended items take place."

UHPD now has plain-clothed policemen as part of an ongoing project in which they try to identify and arrest people who use the library as a "personal K-mart shopping center."

Another factor in the number of thefts, which only affects a small portion of the student population, is having to move out of the dorms.

Holidays are another dangerous time. "Students are in a rush to go home for Christmas and have a tendency to leave things in their cars," Durant said about the temptation that gives to potential thiefs.

Resources also weigh heavily against UHPD. The student population is approximately 33,000 compared to the 37 people working for UHPD.

"We always will want more resources but we have to make due with the resources given to us," Durant said. "We've had nights with only one sergeant and two officers on a single shift with some Cougar Patrol drivers."

Because UHPD does not have the luxury of a larger staff, they ask students to help be their eyes and ears.

Our campus police understand the hectic pace of the final exams period and have offered some tips on how students can protect their belongings as well as themselves.

First, students should be observant of their surroundings.

"I've seen people walking back to their cars in the evening with headphones on or looking down at their feet," Durant said. "They are more vulnerable this way."

Second, students should become more safety conscious and call UHPD when they see suspicious people.

"However, we do not expect them to get involved in an apprehension," he said.

Third, students should keep their belongings marked so if something valuable is stolen, it can easily be identified and returned.

$8 MILLION IN SCHOLARSHIP FUNDS DISTRIBUTED TO STUDENTS

by Blanca Hernandez

While many students will be rummaging through their checkbook looking for a way to pay spring tuition, about 3,800 students can honestly say the check is in the mail.

Last year 3,794 scholarships were given out -- 36 percent more than the 2,800 awarded in 1987-88, said Rob Sheridan, director of the Office of Financial Aid.

So while university administrators contemplate financial restructuring, scholarship recipients can expect to enjoy about $1,000 more than students did last year. The average scholarship amount given last year was $2,700, as opposed to 1987-88 when recipients were awarded about $1700, said Sheridan.

Scholarship awards during '91-'92 amounted to almost $8 million.

Miriam Jones, assistant director of the Office of Financial Aid, said scholarships do not have to be repaid but students must be enrolled full time or they will lose the money.

While thousands of scholarship dollars are given to the university, large sums also come from other sources.

Monies come from students who were awarded scholarships by their high schools and from earnings on endowment funds, said Sheridan.

According to Paula Kelleher, treasurer of the UH System, "Endowments are given to the university, and generally the donors will say what they are to be used for. In some cases they are used for scholarships and in some cases they are not.

Sometimes endowments are used for a professorship or for operational expenses, but it's up to the donor, she said.

According to UH System's financial statements, more than $3 million was available for scholarships at the end of the August fiscal year. However, the average student won't get their hands on it because the scholarship monies are already committed for 1993, Sheridan said.

"That scholarship fund balance is fixing to be spent as soon as the (1993) fall school year begins," said Sheridan. "In terms of availability, generally, all scholarships are restricted in some fashion."

Sheridan said an example of restricted funds is an applicant not being able to meet the criteria placed upon funds by the donor. If such criteria is not met, the money is returned to the donor.

COUGARS BLAST RICE'S BOWL HOPES

by Keith Rollins

The Cougars will have one trophy on the mantle after a not-so-good season. The "Bayou Bucket" remains a Cougar mainstay after they beat the Rice Owls for the sixth time in a row

Rice's lackadaisical zone defense was too easy for Jimmy Klingler. The sophomore sensation submarined the Owls 61-34 from a possible post-season bowl match-up to another 6-5 ballyhoo record.

Comparable to his brother's past performances, Klingler passed here ... passed there ... and anywhere an Owls' defender wasn't -- for a resounding 613 yards, 46 completions on 71 attempts and 7 touchdowns.

"That was a great display of execution," Cougar Head Coach John Jenkins said.

Coming into the game, Rice felt they had the upper hand on a floundering 3-7 Cougar team. But the spoiler-mode effect was in high gear and Houston ran away with this one early.

"This was our bowl game. We were determined not to let Rice go to a bowl. We won the bragging rights to the city," Klingler said.

Jenkins' "Run-and-Shoot" offense was on and Rice could do nothing about it.

The arsenal included Klingler's machine-gun quick arm and his array of talented receiving cadets, Lamar Smith's 11 carries for 101 yards, and Trace Craft's 27- and 41-yard field goals.

"That was about the best UH has played on offense this year. I thought our two-deep coverage would take away some of the big plays. But they just ran through the zones," Rice cornerback Sean Washington said.

Ron Peters seemed to be Klingler's favorite target. The junior from Willowridge caught touchdown passes of 29, nine and 42 yards. Not to deny last-year, last-game senior Freddie Gilbert, Klingler completed TD passes of 32-yards and 17-yards to him. His other two six-pointers fell to the grasp of Keith Jack.

Sophomore wide receiver Sherman Smith tallied 14 receptions, making him the 8th player in the NCAA to go over the 100-reception mark. He finished the year with 103 catches. Klingler credited the offensive line with the win.

"We've had our ups and downs this season, but the most consistent unit has been our offensive line. I hardly got any pressure at all, and I could just go through the reads and throw the ball where it should go," Klingler said.

Jenkins sized up the Cougars' 4-7 season: "This season had some ups and downs. We had some bad things and bad breaks happen to us. Today the breaks seemed to average out."

"Everything went our way. You saw the true character of our team today, and we closed out in fine fashion."

The victory also enabled the Cougars to escape the last place blues in the SWC. Houston finished the year 2-5 in conference -- one win ahead of Texas Christian.

KLINGER'S FIRST START LIKE DAYS AT UH

by Mike Rosen

David Klingler may be a cat of another stripe these days, but some things haven't changed a bit.

The former record-setting, UH quarterback made his NFL debut with the Cincinnati Bengals against the Pittsburgh Steelers Sunday, and like shades of his senior season, was sacked ten times by a swarming Steeler defense.

Klingler started the game on a roll, completing his first five passes for 42 yards. He was chased from the pocket several occasions in the first half, showed good movement and running ability, rather than throwing errant passes.

The pressure, however, became too great for a makeshift Cincinnati. As the Steelers bolstered their line, Klingler was forced to drop back and throw and became a sitting target.

Klingler finished his first NFL start going 16-34, for 140 yards, driving the Bengals into field goal range three times. He threw no touchdowns and no interceptions in a 21-9 loss.

The Bengals' first round draft pick replaced 7-year veteran Boomer Esaison.

VOLLEYBALL TEAM OFF TO NCAA TOURNEY

SEATTLE, WA. -- Amid the gray Seattle skies, the Cougar Volleyball team found a beam of brilliant light shinning Friday and Saturday during their NCAA tournament bid against Illinois State.

Their NCAA volleyball tournament hopes are now realized as they head up north with their third-place finish from this weekend's Eddie Bauer First Serve Volleyball tournament to face the Red Birds of Illinois State on Friday, Dec. 4.

In addition to their NCAA bid, the Cougars have also been moved from their South Region to the Northwest Region which includes Arkansas State, Long Beach State, Illinois State, Idaho, Santa Barbara, Louisville and Pacific.

Houston was moved from the South to the Northwest Region because the Cougars were tied with Florida State in eighth place. The tournament selection committee opted to move the Cougars to another region and kept Florida State in the South Region.

By capturing an NCAA bid, this will give the Cougars an emotional as well as physical boost.

"Yahoo!" was the one word that adequately described the elation senior setter Amie Roberts and the rest of the Cougars felt.

The bids were determined by region, strength of schedule and how well a team played at the end of the season.

Prior to the selection of teams for the NCAA tournament, Coach Bill Walton understood the importance of gaining a bid.

"This team needs a chance to play again so they can get back to the way they were earlier in the season. We have the potential."

The Cougars have been roughing the seas of confidence since their heartbreaking loss two weeks ago to the SWC champion Texas Longhorns, but are now at the helm and running full throttle.

"I think that winning cures lots of problems," Coach Bill Walton said. "We would have been riding on a wave of momentum if we had defeated Texas. When we lost, we seemed to be riding in a trough of depression."

If winning is a cure-all,then the Cougars got a shot in the arm Saturday when they traveled to Seattle to participate in the Eddie Bauer First Serve Volleyball tournament.

Senior Karina Faber and sophomore Lilly Denoon walked away from the tournament as All-Team Tournament players.

The Cougars captured the third place spot at the tournament, falling to Seattle's neighbors from the north, the Winnipeg Westmen.

Houston had difficulties in adjusting their transition errors in their matches against Winnipeg. They were taken out in three games 15-3,15-13 and 15-6.

Saturday proved to be a different story for the Cougars. They were pitted against the North Carolina Tar Heels, who had lost to the Washington Huskies on the first day of the tourney.

The Cougars regrouped and stuck the Tar Heels with a three game loss,15-9, 15-11 and 15-11.

The Tar Heels were 19-13 in their Atlantic Coast Conference.

ATHLETIC DIRECTOR SEARCH UNDERWAY

University of Houston President James Pickering has initiated the search for a new athletics director by appointing a 28 people to serve on the Director of Athletics Search Committee.

The committee includes members of the faculty, staff, alumni and student body.

The administrative members chosen for the committee are:

Dr. Glen Auman, Dave Keith, Dr. Skip Szialgyi, Dr. Dorothy Caram, Dennis Boyd, Dr. Elwyn Lee, Dr. Jack Ivanancevich, John Scales, Dr. James Benbrook, Dr. Bill Cook, Rober Mayes, Dr. James K. Martin, Dr. Hyland Packard, and Dr. Tatcho Mindiola.

The Athletic Department members are: Kathy Beene, Tom Tellez, Pat Foster and Ted Nance.

Fred Gilbert, and Heidi Sticksel are the student representatives on the committee.

Carl Lewis, Rose Cullen, Matt Provenzano, and Steve Harcrow will make up the alumni division of the committee.

MEAT BEAT SAVING GRACE OF COMMUNION TOUR

by Melissa Neeley

After being assaulted with four and a half hours of pretentious and painfully dull sounds last Wednesday at a Numbers' techno extravaganza, I almost wished I had opted to stay home and clip my toe nails instead.

But they saved the best for last. Meat Beat Manifesto's performance made the hell worthwhile, so I gladly stayed for the last hour and a half of the show.

The Communion Tour is made up of three techno bands -- Orbital, Ultramarine and Meat Beat Manfesto -- and a few annoying English deejays spinning eerie futuristic discs to background slides of stark futuristic art.

Besides the excellent show given by Meat Beat Manifesto, the rest of the music seemed like a cheesy rendition from the soundtrack of <i>A Clockwork Orange<p>.

Much of the music known as techno comes from Belgium, England and other European countries and is devoid of soul. Listening to many of these bands is like being stuck in an elevator left to read Jean Paul Satre's works for hours on end. It's not always fun stuff.

Meat Beat Manifesto leaves these bands in the cold with their heavy dance mixes and catchy hip-hop industrial sound. Jack Dangers, who is half of the band's duo, said much of their music is inspired from the economic turmoil going on in their country.

"I was more or less thrown into the band because of what happened in 1984-1985. I used to be an engineer for British Rail, and they laid me and 3,000 others off. It's the privatization of industry which causes people to lose their jobs," said Dangers, who formed Meat Beat Manifesto in 1987 with partner Johnny Stephens.

In England, 30,000 more miners may be laid off because of the country's depression, Dangers said.

In the band's latest album, <i>Satyricon <p>, nearly every song is about the evils of societal and governmental control.

"You switch the television on and you become a part of this crass estheticism which governs everyone's lives. Also, religious control -- Christianity, particularly -- is the ultimate control," Dangers said. "People kill themselves to become a martyr for something they think exists."

Dangers also said Madonna is an example of media control that has inflated her into a cultural icon.

"I think that she has lost her mind. She has been so exploited by the media here and in Europe. Why does she have to be exploited to sell records?"

To help sell their own records, the band has worked with other musicians such as David Byrne of the Talking Heads. After hearing one of their albums, Byrne asked Meat Beat to do a dance re-mix of one of his tracks called "The Forrest."

"We didn't work directly with him, but he likes our band and I've always liked Talking Heads as well," he said.

<i>Satyricon<p> is filled with much tongue-in-cheek humor with excerpts of T.V. commercials containing 1970s-sounding back-ground music. One track, for example, includes a woman's voice breathlessly explaining the joys of buying Chanel products.

"A lot of people don't get our sense of humor. They ask us, 'What's so funny about that?' " he said.

Meat Beat Manifesto is fairly new to audiences in the United States. With the release of the single "God O.D." and their second album, <i>99 Percent<p>, they are beginning to find an audience with the post-punk youth.

Audience reception for their '91 and '92 tours has been positive, Dangers said.

"We've been in the states for a little over a week on this tour. The audiences vary from hard-core industrial fans, to people who are part of the rave culture," he said.