DAY WITHOUT ART DRAWS GRIM PICTURE OF AIDS

by Amey Mazurek and

Crosby King

Clement Meadmore's sculpture, "Split Level," lay shrouded by a black tarp in front of the UH Hilton. The only evidence of art was the placard hanging from the cloth.

Sculptures and paintings all over the city were similarly covered Tuesday as part of the international "Day Without Art." In Houston, organizers hoped to raise awareness of the AIDS crisis and commemorate artists who have died of the disease.

Dean Ruck, a UH art instructor, said two art students helped him cover the UH sculpture and several other pieces in downtown Houston.

He said Nancy Hixon, Blaffer Gallery coordinator of collections, gave him permission to blanket Meadmore's sculpture. He picked "Split Level" because it was in a central location and many students would pass it.

The covered sculpture caught the attention of at least one passerby. James Melton, an electrical engineering major, said he noticed the tarp and was prompted to read the attached placard. Melton said he didn't know anyone with AIDS, but his wife did.

Ruck said people in other U.S. cities have supported AIDS awareness with 15-minute blackouts, tying red ribbons on objects around the city, as well as draping sculptures. He said Houston was late in planning activities for the Day Without Art, and events weren't as highly organized as in other cities.

He compared the international event with Earth Day since both are serious issues that get attention only one day a year.

"If it does anything at all, it's worthwhile," he said, referring to the shrouding of the sculptures.

Michael Peranteau, director of Diverse Works, organized the city-wide Day Without Art, helping Ruck cover James Serles' 30-foot-high sculpture in Houston's Market Square.

Ruck said the two worked until 1:00 a.m. covering the tree-like wood-and-metal sculpture with 700 square feet of the tarp.

The Houston Arts Alliance and I.H. Kempner sponsored the Houston coverings.

Leslie Perez, director of ACT-UP, said her group put on an "observation" at Houston's City Hall in conjunction with World AIDS Day. She said about 150 people attended the event, which featured six speakers.

Perez said 60 to 70 percent of the people tested at the Montrose clinic are heterosexual. About 30 percent of HIV carriers, Perez said, are women.

People concerned about whether or not they have the virus can get free testing at the Thomas Street Clinic (546-5700) on the corner of Richmond and Thomas streets in Montrose. The county and city health departments also offer the service.

Students can be tested for HIV at the UH Health Center for $10. Test results are ready in 24 hours. For information on testing at the Health Center, call 743-5151.

The city's AIDS prevention line is 794-9092. Their AIDS hotline, 794-9020, has English and Spanish speaking operators.

*******************************************************

KARATE REALLY A DUEL WITH ONESELF, NOT AN OPPONENT, UH KARATE INSTRUCTOR SAYS

by Debbie Callier

Some students who lack confidence take drugs, drink alcohol, go crazy or commit suicide. Grandmaster Kim Soo offers another solution -- martial arts training.

Hundreds of UH and Rice students training with the UH karate instructor on campus each semester are finding that karate changes their outlook.

"You are not here to defeat each other. You are here to challenge yourself, defeat your fears and improve yourself," Kim told students recently at a martial arts festival on campus.

More than 160 UH students competed individually and as a team against Rice. UH students scored 250 points to Rice's 240.

Students begin as white belts and many continue on to orange belts in the intermediate class and to more advanced levels at Kim's off-campus facilities.

Awareness, greater flexibility, improved hand-to-eye coordination and increased abilities in other sports are bonuses students attribute to concentrating and drilling on karate forms.

Karate makes Melanie Scher, a junior psychology major, feel stronger and less vulnerable. Karate gives her an outlet in an area besides academics. Although this is her first semester of karate, she is already taking three additional classes at a Kim Soo facility off-campus.

Gary Santa Maria, a junior in HRM, took his first course at UH more than two years ago, continued with Kim off-campus, and now has a brown belt and assists with the PE classes.

Classes begin each semester with 150 students and have low drop-out rates.

The atmosphere is military-like in its discipline and emphasis on drills, yet is ballet-like in its emphasis on beauty and natural movement, according to Randy Petrick, a senior marketing student in the intermediate class.

"Discipline is the main part of the class," he said. "Form follows function. It's fun, though, and I am more limber and stretched out than when I started."

Movie depictions of karate fighters mislead people into thinking karate produces magic results.

Results come from applying the natural laws of the body, mind and spirit: sweat, hard work, concentration and training.

The technique is called Cha Yon Ryo -- the natural way. It was developed by Kim combining elements of tae kwon do, karate and juijitsu.

He learned martial arts in Korea for self-defense against the older bullies who repeatedly beat him up when he skipped sixth grade. Within two years he had a black belt, enormous confidence and better grades in school.

Confidence is more valuable than money or intelligence, according to Kim, and is one of the benefits of continued training.

Mary Abraham, a senior in political science, said the training is difficult and requires lots of concentration. The intent is to make the movements so instinctive that they become a natural part of everything else you do.

For Todd Kleinhans, a senior in marketing, benefits even include an improved bowling form. Throwing one hand up for balance -- karate style -- when he bowls has actually improved his scores.

MELCHER HOUSE BIDS IN -- LOWER THAN EXPECTED

by Michael D. Oeser

UH System administrators opened bids on the Melcher House Tuesday, but offers on the unused UH president's residence fell far short of what they hoped.

While the lowest of two appraisals the system contracted estimated the property's value at $675,000, one bid from a private individual, Jimmy Tran, was made for $386,000 and a second bid was made for $352,000. The second bid, however, added $200,000 in advertising services by Paul Schiebl, a trustee for Ad Group. Details on the bidders were unavailable at press time.

Wendy Adair, assistant to the president and associate vice president for University Relations, said bidders were originally told that the sealed bids must be at least above the lowest value estimate.

Renee Block, director of UH System Real Estate Holdings, will issue an official statement today on whether one of these bids will be accepted.

MALCOLM X STUDIED BY CAMPUS PROFESSORS

by Channing King

Malcolm X, the subject of a major feature film as well as countless books and articles, is now the subject of a comprehensive study by two UH political scientists.

Dr. Christian Davenport and Darren Davis are examining the effect Spike Lee's film will have on the perceptions of African-Americans toward the slain civil rights leader. Several opinion surveys over an extended time will be used to gauge the short- and long- term effects of the movie.

The survey of 450 randomly selected African-Americans is funded by the Houston Defender newspaper and the UH African-American Studies Program.

The early results of the survey show that while 59 percent of the people questioned claim to know about Malcolm X, few people know any specific details about the man.

Only 16 percent knew Malcolm's Islamic name (El-Hajj Malik El-Shabazz). Seventeen percent knew the date of his assassination (Feb. 21, 1965). Nineteen percent knew what the "X" stood for (his unknown, original last name, replaced by the last name of his ancestor's owner).

An informal poll of 100 UH students on Tuesday revealed that Davenport and Davis' findings in the community hold true on the campus.

Of those polled, 100 percent knew who Malcolm X was. However, only 32 percent had read his autobiography. Twenty-four percent had seen the film biography. Of those who had not seen the film, 61 percent were planning to see it.

Davenport said the lack of knowledge about Malcolm X does not surprise him. The media has not been fair in its portrayal of Malcolm, said the assistant political science professor.

"Through the years, he has been painted as a one dimensional figure . . . but never as a complex figure," said Davenport. He said many African-Americans are the worst informed.

Davenport said the political and social climate makes the dissemination of accurate information difficult, "if not impossible. The movie should change that."

In Davenport and Davis' study, 53 percent said a movie about Malcolm X would make them more aware of the problems facing African-Americans today. Only 27 percent disagreed.

"Several studies have documented that after the mini-series <i>Roots<p> aired in the '70s, there was a great hunger to learn more about our past and our connections to Africa," said Davis, a doctoral candidate. "Lee's movie could have the effect of sending African-Americans back for a re-examination of the legacy of Malcolm X.

"The real question," said Davis, "is what actions people will take and how political leaders will respond when they hear from African-Americans following heightened awareness of Malcolm X's ideas brought on by Spike Lee's movie."

TEXAS, UH TOP PRE-SEASON CHARTS

It's December, and there's no more time for holiday cheer. Southwest Conference basketball is in high gear.

Fa, la, la, la...nothing! Let the blood-letting begin!

Texas heads into the 1992-93 season as the conference favorites. With their young backcourt of sophomores B.J. Tyler and Terrence Rencher, who combined to average 35.2 points per game, it's no wonder Texas is aiming for the top.

Texas went 23-12 last year and has won at least 23 games in the four years Penders has been head coach. With the loss of starting forwards Dexter Cambridge and Benford Williams, the only mystery about a team destined to return to the NCAA's is who will step up to replace them.

Houston, 25-6 last year and a second-place favorite this year, could also contend for the title the Longhorns won last year.

The Cougars lost scoring machine Derrick Daniels (9.0), Craig Upchurch (15.7) and Sam Mack (17.5), but picked up junior college transfer Anthony Goldwire. In his career at Pensacola JC, Goldwire averaged 15.4 points, 7.8 assists, 2.2 steals and 4.1 rebounds. He is favored for Newcomer of the Year honors.

Returning starters David Diaz, Derrick Smith and Jesse Drain will be required to score more behind 6-8 center Charles "Bo" Outlaw (11.9 ppg).

The Rice Owls only lost one starter, but Dana Hardy's shoes will be hard to fill. Center Brent Scott (15.8 ppg, 8.3 boards) and guard Marvin Moore (11.6 ppg) return from their 20-11 season as the leading scorers on the team.

First year Head Coach Willis Wilson will have a strong base to work with and should come away with a winning season. The Owls could contend as well.

Texas A&M went 6-22 after NCAA sanctions cut the team to ribbons last season. This one won't be much better as second-year coach Tony Barone has drawn a monster schedule against roundball powerhouses Missouri, Alabama, UNLV, Florida and South Alabama. Guard David Edwards should build on last season's 13.8 points and 5.7 assists per game.

Baylor, 13-15 last season, is the other team in the conference with a freshman coach. With a 54-game winning streak, Darrel Johnson coached his Oklahoma City team to a 73-3 record and two NAIA championships in the last two years.

The Bears probably don't have the talent to replace lost starters David Wesley (20.9 ppg) and Kevin Chalmers (13.1 ppg, 9.0 rpg), but Johnson does bring in a winning attitude and a new offense.

Coach James Dickey and Texas Tech will rely on Will Flemons' 19.6 points and 9.8 rebounds to lead them beyond last season's 15-14 record. Also, sophomore guard Lance Hughes (10.5 ppg) should contribute after a surprisingly good freshman year.

"Those two are our leaders on the floor, and it's going to be important that we keep those guys healthy," Dickey said.

Texas Christian could be the shock of the season, provided they are able to make up for the loss of Mark Moton (10.2 ppg, 6.3 rpg), Reggie Smith (17.9 ppg, 11.4 rpg) and Michael Strickland (13.6 ppg, 4.1 rpg).

Junior college transfers Chris Foreman and Myron Gordon and redshirt junior Eric Dailey, all fresh faces, must produce beyond their potential. The Horned Frogs' season looked a bit dimmer after Kurt Thomas, who was scheduled to replace Smith at center, re-fractured his left fibia. Thomas will be out for the season.

LADY COUGAR BASKETBALL TO BE A MYSTERIOUS FORCE IN THE SWC

Known by some as the mystery team of the Southwest Conference, the 1992-93 Lady Cougar Basketball team has nothing to hide on the basketball court.

The enigma surrounding the team is due to the fact that the Lady Cougars have only four returning players from last year's successful 22-8 season.

Powerhouse senior forwards Margo Graham and Stephanie Edwards, junior guard Michelle Harris, and Sharon Bennett combine to form the veteran foursome.

The rest of the Lady Cougar front line is comprised of eight new hoopsters.

They are: Latonya Durham, Shelsea Fore, Rosalyn Washington and Yvette Westbrooks.

Players coming straight from the junior college ranks are: Tanya Davis, Chanda Finch, Gigi Gaudet and Chontell Reynolds.

Head Coach Jessie Kenlaw feels positive about her team's future this season.

"I think that this group will surprise a lot of people this season. One key to us staying together will be for our seniors to stay together," she said.

Currently, Coach Kenlaw is seeking consistency from her team. With the addition of eight new players with different backgrounds, finding the perfect formula for the team will take some time.

"We want to establish a chemistry. With each game we will decide who our starters will be," Kenlaw explained.

The Lady Cougars' season has gotten off to a slow start. The team barely lost to Estonia on November 23 as well as the Houston A.A.U. on November 28. Both were exhibition games.

Last season's Lady Cougar team posted a 10-4 SWC record and went to the first round of the NCAA tournament.

The Lady Cougar's were also known for their speed and agility on the court last season. This year's team might have a slightly different look.

"Our interior game will be stronger this year. We will still run, but just not as much," Kenlaw said. "Our front line is tall - 6 feet 2 inches and 6 feet 3 inches. We will play according to our capabilities," she said.

According to the pre-season polls, the Lady Coogs were ranked in fourth place behind the Texas Longhorns, A&M Aggies and the Red Raiders of Texas Tech.

COUGARS DROP OPENER 81 - 70

Basketball Head Coach Jessie Kenlaw came one step closer to perfecting his winning formula last night at Hofhienz Pavilion.

The Lady Cougars put on their best performance of the season, but lost to the sixth ranked Lady Jacks of Stephen F. Austin 81-70.

"The girls were really fired up for this game and they wanted to win because of the rivalry between these two teams," Kenlaw said, "By conference time, we will be competitive".

The Lady Cougars definitely did not play like they had in their prior two exhibition games. Even though the team had problems with turnovers, it is obvious that they are starting to gel.

Houston came out strong and was only down by five midway through the first half.

By the time the buzzer rang at halftime, the Cougars and the Lady Jacks were tied 35-35.

When the Lady Cougars came out on the court at the beginning of the second half, they rolled off six straight points to take a 41-35 lead.

Things started to take a down-slide when senior Margo Graham got into foul trouble and had to sit the bench.

With three minutes left in the game, the Lady Cougars were trying to get back on track, but the Lady Jacks proved to be too much for them and took a commanding 72-62 lead.

This weekend, the Lady Cougars are hosting the Hobby Hilton Classic at Hofhienz Pavilion. Houston plays Sacremento State at 7:00 on Friday.

Southern Mississippi and Jackson State are the other two teams participating in the tournament.

SUICIDE ATTEMPTS INCREASING AT UW

(CPS) -- Campus security at the University of Wisconsin at River Falls indicates an increase in the number of suicide attempts reported over the past three years, although some university officials say the numbers may not reflect an actual rise on the campus as a whole.

According to campus security's 1991 annual report, there were no reported suicide attempts in 1989, three in 1990 and two in 1991.

However, there were three attempts during spring semester and one in fall semester 1992, according to Sharon Bonesho, Campus Security office manager.

There were no reports of completed suicides during those years.

Bonesho pointed out that one of the reported attempts in 1990 was listed as "unfounded."

"That means that security was called about a suicide attempt, but when we looked into it we found that there was no basis for the report," Bonesho explained. "Sometimes it just turns out to be a misunderstanding."

"You have to take these numbers with a grain of salt," said Bonesho. "First of all, these are only the cases that get reported to us. There's a strong possibility that there are other cases that happen off-campus which aren't reported."

Dan Ficek, a psychologist at the university counseling center, said failed relationships play a large role in a person's decisions to attempt suicide.

Ficek said that a rising number of students are coming from dysfunctional families and many students are unable to cope with the added pressures of school.

"A lot of these people come from families that are alcoholic or abusive, among other things," said Ficek, who added that alcohol also is often a factor in attempted suicides.

"More often than not, there is intoxication or some level of alcohol. If suicide is inherent in the mind, alcohol can take it to the next level of actually doing something about it."

POLICE SEARCH STUDENTS AT JSU BUT IGNORE FACULTY

(CPS) - A videotape made by a student government task force shows that Jacksonville State University students are searched at football games for alcohol and weapons, but most alumni, faculty and parents are not.

David Nichols, director of public safety, said the screening policy at student entrances is a safety mechanism to prevent weapons and alcohol from being carried into the Paul Snow Stadium.

However, video footage of searches at a recent football game showed that regulations were strictly enforced by University Police officers at the two student entrances, while other entrances used by alumni, faculty, staff and parents, were watched carelessly, if at all.

"My main concern is that students are being discriminated against," Student Government Association President Sam Witherspoon said. "If they're going to do it, they need to do all the gates or they don't need to search any of them. Students are being targeted directly."

A student government task force gathered photographs and video footage to illustrate the problem and presented the evidence at a student senate meeting. Senators were outraged at the video, which showed students being screened carefully while non-students entered at other gates carrying cups, coolers and grocery bags.

The senate took advantage of Homecoming week activities, urging students and organization to place the motto "All or None" on their cars, floats and displays.

The SGA also approved a resolution that affirms its support for screenings, but calls for them to be conducted at every entrance to the stadium with "every person entering the stadium being screened in a consistent and legal manner."

President Harold McGee contends that random screenings are conducted at all gates, but the task force disagreed.

"It's enforced only on students," said SGA Vice President Toby Schwartz. The public safety director said he would like to screen all gates equally, but the university's police department doesn't have enough officers.

Students speculate that the other gates are not being screened because the university doesn't want to offend alumni. However, Pete Brooks, director of alumni affairs, said he didn't believe that was the case.

"We don't give out favors in return for support. That's a policy that can get you in trouble fast," Brooks said.

STUDENTS CONCERNED ABOUT RELATIVES' WELL-BEING

CPS -- For most college students, the war raging in the former country of Yugoslavia is the last thing on their mind when they take a test.

For Ismar Derzic, it's often the only thing on his mind.

"You try to concentrate but you can't," said Derzic, 20, a junior at the University of Texas at Austin who was raised in Sarajevo by his grandfathers and uncles.

"I had a test in statistics. After 15 minutes, I could not concentrate. You're thinking about what's happening over there or what's going to happen. I just got up and left."

Derzic is not alone. Stories of family and friends being slaughtered or left starving by the war in the former Yugoslavia is causing other college students like Derzic to lose focus on their studies, even as they try to focus more Americans on the crisis.

Some students are constantly waiting for word from their families. While his parents and sister are safely in other countries, Derzic is worried about the fate of his grandfather, with whom he last spoke five months ago.

"My grandfather told me that all he got from the relief efforts was two cans of vegetables and a bag of flour. That's after two months," Derzic said. "He was eating grass and flowers to get certain vitamins."

Derzic's roommate and fellow UT student, Kenan Hadziah-metovic, 19, is plagued by stories of atrocities told to him by his parents in Austria, who keep in contact with friends and family in their homeland. He said Serbians are slaughtering his fellow Muslims in the name of "ethnic cleansing."

"There is genocide happening in Bosnia," said Hadziahmetovic, who also has relatives and friends back in Sarajevo. "There are thousands of stories I can tell you. Things that aren't human. Ripping spinal cords out. Women being raped. My mother told me that Serbian soldiers are distributing candy to the children and inside the bag is a bomb. The children come out to get the candy because they are starving and they blow up.

"The worst part about that is from my friends and family I have actual pictures of those things," he said.

For at least one student, the stories of atrocities hit too close to home. In August, Aida Hamulic, 21, a junior at California Lutheran University in Thousand Oaks, Calif., heard about the deaths of her mother's family.

"My mother's family was in a small town near Sarajevo," Hamulic said. "Serbian soldiers came and took all the men out of their homes during dinner. My grandfather was shot. My two cousins were shot. One of my mother's cousins . . . they tortured him to death."

As a consequence of their anxiety about friends and family in Bosnia-Herzegovina, Hamulic, Hadziahmetovic and Derzic have watched their grades plummet.

"I was an A student. I never had any trouble. Ismar was the same," Hadziahmetovic said. "And right now we're both on the verge of getting C's, and, I hate to say it, D's."

Hamulic, who says her grades have slipped to C's, is coming to class exhausted. "I'm having trouble sleeping," she said.

While some professors have allowed the three students to retake tests, others have not been as sympathetic to their trauma.

"Some understand, and others really don't care," Hamulic said.

The war also has created financial hardship for Derzic and Hadziahmetovic. With their bank accounts in Sarajevo now frozen, Derzic applied for a scholarship. He was turned down. "As far as money is concerned, we're pretty low on it," Hadziahmetovic said.

Though they are faced with low grades and empty wallets, the students still have high hopes that they can make an impact on the struggle in Sarajevo. They have collected food and clothes to send back to their homeland and Hamulic has begun speaking at other Southern California colleges to raise student awareness.

The reaction of the students has made Hamulic hopeful that the United States will take a more active role in stopping the killing.

"Some of them are so amazed," Hamulic said "Some of them come up to me and say they're sorry and what can they do, I just tell them to write their congressman."

While Derzic and Hadziah-metovic would like nothing more than to be with their families in Sarajevo during the holidays, they know that the most realistic wish they could have right now is that the United Nations will send a holiday package of peace-keeping troops and relief to Sarajevo.

"It's very hard to see how much pain and suffering is going on and nobody is willing to do anything about it," Hadziah-metovic said. "I just ask myself if a child's life in Kuwait is more valuable than a child's life in Bosnia."