RESHAPING SIDELINED AT STUDENT OPEN FORUM

by Meagan McGovern

Wednesday's Town Hall meeting -- with UH President James Pickering noticeably absent -- was supposed to address students' concerns about the reshaping of UH.

But despite panel member's remarks about the reshaping issue, students veered off to questions ranging from the smoking policy to the building of nuclear weapons in the science labs on campus.

Russell Hruska, Students' Association president, said Pickering couldn't attend because he was ill.

SA and the Student Program Board sponsored the event and came up with the format for the meeting. The speakers, sitting outdoors in front of the UC Satellite, spoke briefly then addressed the students' questions.

The panel included Assistant Vice President for Student Development/Dean of Students William Munson, Vice President for Student Affairs Elwyn Lee, Law Professor Steven Huber and Faculty Senate Chairman Bill Cook.

Acting Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs/Provost Glenn Aumann joined the panel an hour late to speak for the president's office. Hruska and Kevin Jefferies, also from SA, were the student representatives on the panel.

Huber, chair of the University Planning and Policy Council, which is overseeing the reshaping, said there is no way around the budget cuts. "The governor and lieutenant governor want to be re-elected," he said. "That means no new taxes, which means whatever it takes, we will have to live within whatever money is there."

He said the idea should be stressed to students that they have a say in the process of reshaping. "We welcome your input," Huber said. "Think small. Give us ideas we can use."

In the remarks made by the seven men, two themes were clear -- first, although the reshaping is necessary, it may hurt quite a bit, and second, students can participate in the reshaping process.

In response to state budget cuts, UH administrators and faculty are reshaping the entire university, trying to find a way to prepare for as much as a 10 percent, or $18 million, cut in its budget.

Ideas have been raised for such money savers as light-sensors for bathrooms, to turn off lights when not in use, Huber said. "These ideas add up after a while," he said.

Cook also stressed student participation. He urged students to "protest, petition and become political" if they are unhappy with something at UH.

Lee agreed. "You are the reason we're here," he told students. "I hope you act on our invitation to participate."

The students who responded to the comments, however, did not find the answers they wanted.

One student asked, "If we have someone who can't speak English teaching classes, doesn't that say something about the quality of the university?"

Cook addressed the question, saying that sometimes teachers slip through the loops. He said if students have a problem with an instructor, they should complain to the respective department.

Another student asked, "Are we going to stress research or teaching? Who said this should be a premier research university? I'm here to be taught."

Huber replied to the question, saying teaching and research are two sides of the same coin, with one integral to the other. "You may be able to teach fourth grade without cutting-edge research, but I can't teach my law classes without it," he answered.

Athletic funding, the smoking policy and the UH System budget were issues raised repeatedly.

"Will athletics take a cut? Does the football team help me when I'm looking for a job after college?" asked one student. A strong anti-athletic sentiment was expressed by many students.

Lee asked students to remember that athletics consists of more than just the football team, and that if students have questions about athletic funding, they should take an active role in the reshaping.

*******************************************************

CAMPAIGN EMPHASIZES PARTICIPATION

by Shannon Najar

and Erin Balch

News Reporters

The university's annual United Way campaign kick off Tuesday coincided with the charity's announcement of a generous gift for the UH Speech, Language and Hearing Clinic.

The clinic recently received a grant of $208,000 from the United Way Gulf Coast Chapter.

The funding resulted from a strategic request on the part of Martin Adams, director of the Speech, Language and Hearing Clinic.

After learning that the UT Speech & Hearing Institute in the Medical Center planned to close its doors after 40 years, Adams approached the United Way chapter with his proposal.

"I asked them if they would consider giving the UH Speech, Language and Hearing Clinic a portion of their agency's funding that had historically gone to UT's clinic," Adams said.

The increased amount will allow the clinic to expand into areas, such as hearing tests for infants, previously out of their economic reach.

Clinic staff members hope to see the number of patients they can help increase along with the new services. The clinic currently assists 500 patients a year.

Mini-fairs, representing 22 various United Way agencies at numerous campus locations, jump-started UH's annual fund raising and recruitment effort.

Under the theme "Together We Can Make a Difference," the United Way of the Texas Gulf Coast is seeking donations to help fund the numerous agencies they help support, including the Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts and the YMCA.

"This year, our goal is to raise the university's participation higher than ever before. The need for services by hardworking families is growing daily," said UH President James Pickering, who is chairman of this year's campaign.

To increase the overall participation on campus, each college dean was asked to serve as co-chair, said Wendy Adair, associate vice president of University Relations.

Tuesday's events were well- attended, and everyone seemed enthusiastic toward the campaign as a whole, said Diane Boudreaux-Graves, UH's United Way campaign coordinator.

"By giving to the United Way, they not only help to support these agencies but also help to create new agencies," she said.

However, Boudreaux-Graves emphasized the focus of this campaign is on increasing the level of participation within the university community, not on how much money they can raise.

The UH United Way Campaign continues through Dec. 15. To contribute, contact the campaign coordinator in their individual colleges or Diane Boudreaux-Graves at 743-8170.

ARTLESS UH GALLERY EMBRACES NATIONWIDE AIDS MOVEMENT

by Rachel Gewirtz

When an art gallery advertises it is without art, it could only mean one thing: "Day Without Art," a consciousness raising effort that is part of World AIDS Day.

University of Houston's Blaffer Gallery is doing its part in increasing AIDS awareness by handing out red ribbons that symbolize support for people with AIDS. They are also collecting Christmas boxes for patients who cannot afford basic toiletry needs.

"We are collecting items that most people take for granted. We need things like shaving cream, mouthwash and soap," said Namita Wiggers, coordinator of public programs for the Blaffer Gallery. "These are things that many patients can't afford any more."

This is the third year the Blaffer Gallery has honored Day Without Art. Last year the gallery collected twenty boxes of goods for people with AIDS.

"This year we are going for 25 boxes. We take donations from students, professors and staff. So far we have already received materials from the art department and the Law Center," said Wiggers.

Day Without Art has been celebrated annually for five years on World AIDS Day by cultural art centers all over the United States. Visual and performing artists use the day to initiate support for AIDS research programs, celebrate the works of artists who have lost their lives to the disease and help to further education and awareness of HIV infection.

Visual AIDS, a New York City-based group, conceived of Day Without Art. The group has initiated "Night Without Light," a dimming of city skylines across the country to represent the on-going AIDS crisis; the Red Ribbon Project, which hands out free red ribbons; and electric blanket, which publicly displays a slide show of the AIDS crisis.

The day is also used to help celebrate the struggle of artists who are suffering the losses of many of their friends and co-workers.

"As artists, we have to do things to make people aware of the AIDS crisis. We have lost so many of our colleagues to the disease," said Tonya Pennie, a local Houston artist and Texas Southern University student. "If we raise consciousness we may be able to increase funding for AIDS research."

According to a 1991 study done by the American College Health Association, one out of every 500 college students is infected by the HIV virus. "People are realizing that it is time to wake up," said Wiggers. "College students need to realize that they are in serious danger. This is one of the reasons it is so important for the gallery to do this."

The Blaffer Gallery will be accepting toiletry donations through Dec. 13. The products will be distributed through the Bering Community Service Foundation to people with AIDS.

BLOSSOMING BANDS BESTOW PLEASING PLATTERS

by Manuel Esparza

How do you like it, live or studio? Well the Red Devils cut a live disc and the Jeff Healey Band is fresh from recording 12 new tracks.

Got your asbestos gloves handy? Good. Now get ready to handle some blast furnace blues. Captured on the Red Devil's live album <i> King King<p> is blues in its most elemental form -- fire.

The album, <i>King King<p>, takes its name from the L.A. club that has adopted the Devils. It is a beer sopped, cigarette stench, sweaty bodies, dimly lit, watch where you sit, graffiti ridden, wrong side of the tracks, eardrum rupturing disc.

Etched into this disc is the atmosphere of that club and, more importantly, the energy and impact of the Red Devils.

Technically the album is superb. Engineered with great separation between instruments, the clarity of sound is just amazing. Filtered down, but not completely eliminated is the audience's reactions during some of the songs. This is what really makes this recording jump out of the loud speakers.

The band is tighter than a hand-woven Persian rug. Vocalist and harmonica man Lester Butler, bassist Johnny Ray Bartel and ex-Blasters Bill Bateman (drums) are founding members, and have been playing together every Monday night for the past couple of years at the King King club. Talented Texan Paul Size is the newest member and lead guitarist.

It must be that weekly gig that keeps the band members so in tune with each other. When the songs turn into jam sessions, the spontaneity flows fluidly into the songs much as ice melts into water.

The jams are characterized by the ongoing guitar/harmonica war between Paul and Lester. There are guitar licks crisper than a new C-note and more pure than Ivory soap. Paul Size can turn it around with a burst of rock melting leads. Each note is performed with a precision that is hard enough to achieve in studio and supposedly not able to be done live. Paul's fretboard gymnastics reduce the dependency on effects pedals. It's unbelievable what can be done with just six strings.

Butler's mouth harp is no less impressive. He cuts the swirling smoky air with his wailing style. The man must have lungs the size of blimps. Butler sustains his notes and breathes enough feeling into his jams that gives them their own lives. His daunting, taunting tremolos challenge Size to rise up and spar with him.

They play a musical game of "chicken" trying to see who will go further. This friendly dynamic tension usually ends with the two players uniting to gun down the audience with lethal leads.

This is an absolutely fantastic album. Also listen for them on Mick Jagger's up coming release. Mick jammed on stage with the Devils and liked them enough to invite them into the studio.

Kick your dog and dump your girlfriend so you too can sing the blues with these guys.

If your mouth waters for some solid rock, quench your thirst here. Jeff Heeley has returned with Joe Rockman (bass) and Tom Stephen (drums), the other pillars if the power trio, and they are stronger than ever.

The accolades are flung to them as roses to a matador. Not without justification, are they highly regarded. Listening to <i>Feel This<p>, the new album, it is apparent the painstaking effort that went in to each note.

There is no effort spared and no wasted sound. The marriage of Joe Hardy and the JHB to produce this disc is a better pairing than Ozzie and Harriet Nelson.

The first cut off the album, "Cruel Little Number" is getting a good amount of air play, and with good reason. It has all a single should. There is the tale of a 'hot babe', the catchy beat, and generous doses of guitar, all without the bubble gum. Healey cuts loose and puts a slow, searing lead behind his vocals.

Healey is highly talented and surrounds himself with very proficient musicians. He has been blind since age one and has been playing guitar since he was three. All his years of practicing really do show through, not just in his playing but also in his song writing.

Healey changes pace without sacrificing any bit of style. The band has the ability to make any beat sound as if it were the one they always played in.

What <i> Feel This<p> appears to be is an excuse to put some brilliant guitars on vinyl for posterity. That sounds pretty good to me.

1984 QUAD RAPE LEADS TO CIVIL SUIT AGAINST UH

by Karen Snelling

On March 12, 1984, a man entered UH Settegast Dormitory via a back door with a broken lock. He went into Andrea Delaney's room and raped her at gunpoint. Delaney filed civil suit against UH, claiming the school was partially responsible for the rape.

Delaney, who was attending UH on a volleyball scholarship, claimed she was raped because maintenance neglected to fix the broken lock, giving the rapist easy access to the building. She, herself, had previously reported the broken lock to maintenance.

Delaney's lawsuit led to the only civil suit about a sexual assault ever filed against UH, said Nancy Footer, associate legal council for the UH System.

When the case went to court, it was dismissed because the judge ruled an individual could not sue a university since it is a government institution. Delaney's attorneys took the case to the Texas Supreme Court and the lower court ruling was overturned.

While the court resolved the issue of suing the university, the outcome of <i>Delaney vs. the University of Houston<p> hasn't been resolved because the case is still awaiting trial.

With Delaney's victory, victims of sexual assault on campus can not only sue the university but also press criminal charges against the attacker, Footer said.

Although a court date hasn't been set, <i>Delaney vs. the University of Houston<p> will go to trial, Footer said. "The UH System wants to raise some defenses to prove the system isn't liable (for Delaney's assault)," she added.

Footer said plaintiffs suing UH have a harder time proving the university's at fault because the school is a government agency protected from certain liabilities.

For example, according to <i>Vernon's Texas Codes Annotates<p>, Texas government agencies are not liable if the agency's employees purposefully injure another person while at work.

Wigtil said one of the problems with sexual attacks on campus is that many people don't report the incident to police.

Since 1991, only two cases of sexual assault on campus have been reported to UHPD, he said. "I know more sexual assaults are happening than are being reported," Wigtil said.

Unreported incidents are a widespread problem found not only at UH, he added.

Nationally, approximately one out of five incidents of rape by a stranger and one out of 10 incidents of rape by an acquaintance are reported to police, Wigtil said.

Many students go to the Health Center or Counseling and Testing as a result of a sexual attack, instead of reporting the incident to UHPD, he said.

Gayle Prager, director of the Health Center, said since January 1992 about two people a month have come to the Health Center for medical care after being sexually assaulted. Instead of seeking emergency care needed directly after an assault, students usually come to the Health Center to check for signs of pregnancy and infections, she said.

Kenneth Waldman, a counselor at Counseling and Testing, said this year an average of one student a month has begun counseling at UH as a result of a sexual assault.

Waldman added he believes the number of students seeking support has increased since the fall semester began.

Velvette Davis, a junior nursing major, said many students don't want to talk about sexual assault to any type of authority.

Last February she called UHPD after witnessing a man beating a naked woman, she said. However, Davis said when the police arrived, the woman refused to press charges against the man and told the police, "I love him."

Despite the low number of reported sexual assaults, the university has taken several steps since the early '80s to make the campus safer, said Lt. Brad Wigtil from UHPD.

In 1981 UHPD started the Cougar Patrol. The unit employs 10 students, trained by UHPD officers, to monitor the campus and escort other students, Wigtil said.

About three years ago, UHPD conducted a lighting survey to look for poorly lit areas on campus, Wigtil said. As a result of the survey, UHPD has used money from Transportation and Parking each year to add lights to areas that are too dark, he said.

Wigtil said about three years ago UHPD started an anti-crime unit of two men who run surveillance on areas where the most crimes are reported.

During the week, six officers are on duty from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. and from 4 p.m. to midnight. Four officers are on duty during the midnight to 8 a.m. shift, Wigtil said.

UHPD will soon increase the number of officers on the last shift to five from four. On weekends, the number of officers serving on the first two shifts decreases to five from six, and remains at four officers during the last shift, Wigtil said.

EXTRA! EXTRA! THIS JUST IN-- CHEATERS FESS UP

(CPS) -- College and high school students admitted to cheating, lying and stealing in a two-year national study on ethics, states a report released in November.

The study, undertaken by the California-based Josephson Instit-ute of Ethics, involved interviewing 8,965 young people nationwide and focused on ethics. Not all of the young people polled were in school at the time.

"There is a hole in the moral ozone and it is probably getting bigger," said Michael J. Josephson, president of the institute.

The report, he said, is indicative that the present 15- to 30-year-old generation is more likely to engage in dishonest and irresponsible behavior than other generations.

"Whether things are worse or not, they are clearly bad enough," the report states.

Among the findings from the survey:

* Sixteen percent of college students and 33 percent of high school students admitted to shoplifting.

* Twenty-one percent of college students said they would falsify a report if necessary to keep a job.

* Sixty-one percent of high school students and 32 percent of college students admitted they cheated on an exam in the past year.

* And, in the area of risky behavior, 25 percent of high school students and 42 percent of college students said they had unprotected sex in the past year.

"It is very clear there is an increase in cheating. It seems to me that there has been a real slippage in government in the importance of honesty, and children, when they are being socialized, are exposed to this," said Kevin Brien, a philosophy professor at Washington College in Chestertown, Md.

The Josephson Institute is a non-profit organization that studies various aspects of ethics. It took two years to research and complete its study on young people and their attitudes toward lying, cheating and risky behavior.

"While there is significant evidence that the present 15- to 30-year-old generation is more likely to engage in dishonest and irresponsible conduct than previous generations, truly comparable benchmarks do not exist to establish this fact," the report states. "But whether things are measurably worse or not, they are clearly bad enough."

One in eight college students said they lied to insurance companies, inflated expense claims, lied on financial aid forms and borrowed money with the intent of not paying it back. At least 83 percent of high school students and 61 percent of college students lied to their parents at least once in the past 12 months.

"It is in no way suggested that his group of young people are moral mutants who are genetically disposed to self-serving and short-sighted conduct," the report says. "Instead, the survey reveals that their negative dispositions often developed in an atmosphere where cheaters regularly prosper and honesty is not only the best policy."

Brien said the Iran-Contra affair and other government and financial scandals in the past 12 years may have a direct connection with student attitudes about honesty and integrity.

What was disturbing about the results, researchers said, was the amount of cynicism expressed both by high school and college students. Nearly 25 percent of high school students and 20 percent of college students agreed with the statement, "It is not unethical to do whatever you have to do to succeed if you don't seriously hurt other people."

Additionally, 74 percent of college students, as opposed to 51 percent of people polled who were not in school, agreed that "most people will cheat or lie when it is necessary to get what they want."

Society needs to teach a core of ethical values and "every social institution has the responsibility to promote the development of good character," the report said. "Since people do not automatically develop good moral character, conscientious efforts must be made to help young people develop the values and abilities necessary for moral decision-making and conduct."

PART-TIME TEACHERS CREATE PROBLEMS FOR STUDENTS, UNIVERSITIES, AND THEMSELVES

WASHINGTON--Nearly 40 percent of college and university instructors work part time, creating academic and professional problems for the instructors and their students, the American Association of University Professors said in a recent study.

Problems associated with part-time faculty will continue until two and four-year institutions are willing to cut back on the use of adjuncts and treat part-time faculty more fairly and equally, said Iris Molotsky, a spokeswoman for the AAUP.

The AAUP study found 38 percent of all faculty are in part-time positions, with the largest amount -- 52 percent -- teaching at two-year community colleges. In four-year universities, 29 percent of the faculty is part time; liberal arts colleges, 32 percent; and at research universities, nearly 17 percent.

"We have a two-fold problem," said Linda Ray Pratt, president of the AAUP and chairwoman of the committee that prepared the report. "One aspect is that institutions rely too heavily on faculty who are not full-time members of the profession, and the other is the unprofessional way in which those institutions treat their part-timers."

Adjuncts, it seems, are getting it from both sides.

Molotsky said while many may be effective teachers, they also have limited or no office hours. They also may not know about available programs on campus and won't be around long enough to give references.

Part-time faculty typically make much less than full-time professors, receive fewer benefits, lack job security and stability, have little input in course content and material, and aren't asked to help set academic policy.

The basic salary for part-time faculty is $6,302 per year, and salaries range from $900 to $3,000 per course at most institutions.

The AAUP also found that women, who hold about 33 percent of full-time faculty positions, make up more than 42 percent of the part-time faculty.

Many institutions rely on adjuncts because of budget cutbacks. "The part-time faculty is growing," Pratt said. "It's an exploitable group within the profession, lacking job stability and opportunities for advancing. We have to stop the exploitation of the people if we want to stop the deleterious effect on the quality of education."

The study suggests that institutions limit their use of adjuncts to no more than 15 percent of the faculty, and give them access to tenure, promotions, long-term contracts and include fringe benefits such as health and life insurance.

GRADUATES EYE PUBLIC SERVICE AS JOBS GET SCARCE

CPS -- Faced with a bleak job market, more college graduates are choosing to take low-paying -- or non-paying jobs in public service where they believe they can make a difference.

The trend marks the end of the self-serving '80s, say experts, who note that President-elect Bill Clinton's administration may spur even more interest in community-focused work.

The Peace Corps reports a dramatic increase in younger recruits, and projects such as the Mississippi Teaching Corps report a record number of applicants.

At the Public Interest Center at Harvard University Law School this year, more than 230 of the 1,000 students spent last summer working in the public sector. Last year's graduating class saw 55 graduates out of 500 -- a record number -- opt for public service law.

"It is a dramatic, exciting trend, and something that is here to stay," said Stacy DeBroff, director of the office of public interest advising at the Harvard University Law School.

"And it's not just in law schools. We see it in business schools and medical schools. We're seeing people doing entrepreneurial things, like setting up a home for battered women or working on an Indian reservation," she said.

DeBroff, who entered public service law upon graduation from Harvard, said in spite of the fact that Harvard law students are "recession proof" and able to command high salaries, they are opting to do more public service work.

"For me, it was essential to work on issues that I cared for profoundly on a heartfelt level. It was not enough for me to bring home a big paycheck and to socialize in power circles," she said. "There are many who feel like this.

DeBroff said she views the new administration as a fresh beginning for many college students who, she says, have felt shut out by the materialistic values of the Reagan-Bush years.

"There is a whole generation, a new generation with a different perspective on career and life choices. You are going to see more and more young people going into the government, doing public service work," she added.

The interest among young attorneys to hang out a shingle in the public sector is confirmed by the burgeoning growth of the National Association of Public Interest Law (NAPIL).

In 1986, NAPIL was a fledgling group of lawyer-activists determined to make it possible for idealistic graduates, by providing needed dollars, to sharpen their skills in the public sector.

Now, as some young lawyers shun six-figure future, NAPIL offers financial support to those who wish to specialize in low-paying areas such as domestic violence, Native American issues or children's rights.

Six years ago, NAPIL chapters were on only 15 campuses; now there are 112. Then the number of student who participated in public interest law through the group has quadrupled to 600 this year.

"There is a definite trend to more people pursuing public service careers," said Caroline Durham, national student organizer for NAPIL.

More than ever, young attorneys are attracted to representing under-represented groups, working in rural areas, and feeling a sense of community.

"We are taking applications in right now for a fellowship grant that will fund up to 10 attorneys to do new and innovative projects in the public sector," said Durham, whose office has received dozens of applications for projects that include environmental and domestic issues.

"When a student has a loan debt of $45,000 a year when they get out of school, how can you expect them to take a $25,000 job?" Durham said.

"The altruistic attitude has always been there for students entering law school," said Durham. "We create opportunities so that they can hang onto the idealism as they go through their education."

For those with more exotic ideas about public service, there's the Peace Corps, which reports the number of volunteers between 21-25 years of age has skyrocketed by 50 percent since 1988.

"Many graduates are using the Peace Corps as a transition time in their careers," DeBroff said. "They feel they can make a difference."

In 1992, nearly 3,000 young adults agreed to roll up their sleeves and help improve the quality of life in developing countries throughout the world.

"All of our volunteers are very dedicated, very independent, very challenged individuals," said Marianne McInerney, public relations officer at the Washington-based offices of the Peace Corps.

"College grads are having difficulty finding jobs in the corporate world, and many are choosing the Peace Corps as an alternative because they can grow as individuals," she said.

"When they come back from their tour, they are highly regarded in the business sector, and as we become more of a global community, they are highly sought out," she said, pointing out that many senators, congressmen and high-profile CEOs are former Peace Corp volunteers.

Young volunteer are assigned two-year jobs in agriculture, environment and forestry, health, urban development, education, business or other sectors in countries in Africa, where 40 percent of all Peace Corps work takes place, or Latin America, Asia, Central Europe or Mediterranean countries.

"These are students who are interested in finding out about other people," McInerney said. Volunteers are paid only a small amount plus a stipend at the end of their tour, although there are other benefits.

Graduates who qualify for the Peace Corps had received National Direct Student Loans on or after July 1, 1987, and have no other outstanding balance on education loans, may find their loans reduced by 15 percent for each of the first and second complete years of service, and 20 percent for the third and fourth years.

More than 50 graduate schools offer the Fellows/USA program for returned Peace Corp volunteers who wish to earn master's degrees, and several universities offer limited academic credit for serving a tour.

In some states, overseas teaching experience may be substituted by graduates for practical teaching requirements necessary for professional accreditation.

Graduates who want to do community work closer to home are applying to projects such as the Mississippi Teacher Corps, an organization that tries to match rural school districts with teachers.

The corps received 120 applications to fill 19 openings this year. The corps is just one of several organizations in the nation that recruits people to teach in public school systems that serve low-income populations.

College graduates with little or no teaching experience are encouraged to apply to the program where candidates attend a 12-week-alternative teacher certification program at the University of Mississippi at Oxford.