AFTER WALK IN THE DARK, TASK FORCE URGES MORE LIGHTING, LESS SHRUBS

by Deborah Hensel

Imagine you are leaving a class ending after dark. Perhaps some of the building's outside lights have burned out and the maintenance crew hasn't discovered the problem. Near the building's side is a tall stand of shrubs, forming an ominous, shadowy configuration.

Your steps quicken and you fumble for your keys -- could there be a possible assailant lurking there?

Chances are there's no real threat, but Sexual Assault Task Force Chair Cynthia Freeland and Julia Bristor, marketing professor, want to make sure that students' perception of campus safety is enhanced by better lighting and grounds improvements.

Wednesday night, Freeland and Bristor took a walking tour of the campus to survey and prioritize areas that could be potential problems. Accompanied by UHPD Officer Dianna Murr, the group began at the police station at 9 p.m., walking east in front of Cougar Place to McElhinney Hall.

There, Freeland immediately spotted a problem in the poorly-lit plaza between McElhinney and Farish Hall.

"If I had to walk across here after a night class, it would make me a little nervous, I think," Freeland said.

Trimming the trees that are obscuring the light in that area is one recommendation she will make to UHPD Lt. Brad Wigtil and Raymond Dale of the Physical Plant Department.

Other recommendations Freeland and Bristor noted, in order of priority, are broken down into categories of lighting and landscaping.

Freeland recommends adding lights:

• to the wooded lot at the corner of Wheeler at Cullen,

• in Lynn Eusan park, a popular cut-through for students who live in the Towers,

• in front of the old Cullen College of Engineering building,

• in the plaza between Fine Arts and the Architecture College building,

• to the downstairs patio of Agnes Arnold Hall,

• along the back edge of Wortham Theater, and

• on the northwest side of Melcher Hall.

Bushes and tree-trimming recommendations include:

• the shrubs in front of Cullen College of Engineering,

• the double row of hedges in front of E. Cullen,

• the shrubs at both ends of Oberholtzer Hall,

• the shrubs in the academic Quad by Cullen Fountain, near Farish Hall and the Science Building, and

• trees outside of McElhinney (as previously noted).

Along the way, Murr pointed out a number of other prime spots for assailants to hide, such as stairwells that end below ground. The stairwell leading to the basement of the library, where the Honors Program is housed, is one example.

While the group walked across Lynn Eusan Park, Murr received a radio call about a call box that had been tripped behind the University Hilton. No one was around call box number 223 -- another false alarm. Murr says UHPD receives at least two of those every night.

While there, Murr demonstrated the proper use of the call box, which sets off a signal at UHPD headquarters as soon as the box is opened. To speak to an officer on duty, the user simply has to push the red button.

Murr said every call box on campus is checked on Monday nights to ensure they are operational and properly lit. Freeland and Bristor noted that, from a distance, some call boxes are difficult to see.

Murr also had some safety recommendations for student joggers.

"I do not recommend jogging on the perimeter of campus at night,' she said. "Always run with a partner and without headphones that may prevent you from hearing someone coming up behind you."

Although the group did not tour the area around the Bates Law Building or the athletic department areas around Robertson Stadium and behind Hofheinz Pavilion, Murr said those are also potentially dangerous locations after dark.

She also noted the two new parking lots on the north side near Elgin may be danger zones after dark because of their distance from the campus. Patrolling those lots may infringe on the time UHPD would normally spend patrolling the campus.

Murr said campus police are committed to helping students, faculty and staff feel safer on campus.

"We'll provide literature. We'll come out and do lectures and presentations," she said. "We'll do whatever we can to help make the campus safe."

*******************************************************

PREPLANNING OF YOUR HOLIDAY VACATION TRAVEL COULD WIND UP SAVING YOU BIG BUCKS

by Kim Copelin

Low airfares and available seats are going fast for students planning to travel during the holidays, according to some major airlines.

Those who want the best fares should purchase their tickets early and take advantage of student travel services. Most airline policies give students the chance to save up to 70 percent on domestic flights by purchasing tickets 21 days before their departure date.

For example, on American Airlines, a round-trip ticket to Oklahoma City would cost $278 if purchased the day of departure, but the same trip would cost only $78 if paid for 21 days before departure.

Students planning to leave within three weeks can still save approximately 40 percent on regular air-fare by purchasing tickets at least three days in advance from American Airlines. With this price the same trip to Oklahoma City would cost only $164.

Students not able to arrange their departure flight three weeks prior to their trip can reserve their return flight within this time and save 60 percent on round-trip airfare.

Southwest Airlines offers youth rates to those 21 years old and younger. However, students should compare rates of all major airlines; sometimes Southwest's youth rate is higher than the regular fare of other airlines. For instance, Southwest's 21-day advance youth rate to Oklahoma City is $129 -- $50 more than American's regular three-week advance price.

Students traveling within the United States might consider traveling by Greyhound bus. Prices are sometimes lower, and tickets don't have to be purchased in advance.

Students should compare bus fares and airfares because sometimes the difference may be slight.

For example, a plane ticket to El Paso purchased 21 days in advance costs $215, and a bus pass costs about $201. A bus pass to Oklahoma city would cost $98, $20 more than the lowest airfare purchased 21 days in advance.

Full-time students traveling abroad for the holidays can save more than 40 percent on airfare by purchasing tickets through student travel services such as STA Travel.

A round-trip ticket from Houston to London on British Airways would cost $1,048, but if they contact STA Travel, the same flight is $588 -- nearly a 50 percent savings.

To get these reduced airfares, students must order their tickets by calling STA at 1-800-777-0112 or by contacting a travel agent.

Lower fares is only one reason students traveling abroad need to reserve a seat early. Seat availability on many international flights is very limited. Available flights to India and Mexico are scarce from mid-December to the beginning of January.

UH PROF, EXPERT IN DEPRESION, APPOINTED PRESIDENT OF TEXAS PSYCHOLOGICAL ASSOCIATION

by Phillip Baeza

UH Psychology Professor Lynn Rehm, a recognized expert in the treatment of depression, has been appointed to the Texas Psychological Association's presidential chair.

"This is a most distinguished and important position that reflects the highest level of respect with which Dr. Rehm is regarded by his colleagues throughout the state," said Department of Psychology Chairman Richard Rozelle.

Rehm, who heads the Depression Research Clinic at the UH Psychological Research and Services Center, came to Houston in 1979 from the University of Pittsburgh to direct the program. "I had been doing research in Pittsburgh, but what brought me down here was the opportunity to develop a clinic and work with graduate students," he said.

Rehm has done extensive studies in the area of depression and its treatments.

"We've developed a program for treatment that is a psycho-educational program that has an educational part as well as therapy. We offer those groups to the general public here," he said.

The clinic also gets students from the Counseling and Testing Center. The clinic offers different and longer-term services in comparison to the Counseling and Testing Center.

"We have students who are part of our groups. The program offers a 12-week group format for depression that meets in small groups 90 minutes a week," Rehm said.

Rehm will assume his duties as president in 1994. "As president-elect in 1993, I will be looking over the shoulder of the president, getting better familiarity with the job," he said.

The Psychological Association strives to encourage the growth of knowledge in the field, establish high standards of professional conduct and study and recommend action on psychological issues, added Rehm.

hed: 3-24-2

UH prof, expert in depression, appointed president of Texas Psychological Association

LADY COUGARS TO ATTACK REDBIRDS IN FIRST ROUND

When the NCAA tournament calls, the Cougar volleyball team listens. Better than that, they respond, by gathering their arsenal of heavy hitters, strong spikers and a vast array of other weapons.

The Houston Cougars have taken their action-packed army on the road to Illinois State to shoot down the Red Birds in their quest for the NCAA championship.

The showdown takes place at at 7 p.m. tonight, in Red Bird Arena in Normal, Ill.

This will be the sixth time in Cougar volleyball history the two teams have met. The most recent match, in 1990, resulted in a Red Bird victory in four games, 15-4, 15-8, 4-15 and 15-2.

This season, the Red Birds are tied with Southwest Missouri State for first place in the Missouri Valley Conference. They finished the season with a 14-2 record, winning their last 15 games.

One interesting note is that earlier this season at the Minnesota Classic in which the Cougars and SW Missouri State played each other, the Cougars defeated SW Missouri State in four games, 15-9, 4-15, 15-11 and 15-5.

Knowing this fact, the team is even more ready to play Illinois State.

The Red Bird squad is an experienced group boasting nine veterans. Their knowledge has been apparent this season as they also won their Missouri Valley conference tournament.

The Cougars have successfully gained a NCAA tournament bid for the fourth season in a row. Last season, the Lady Cougars lost in the first round of the NCAA tournament to L.S.U.

The Lady Cougars finished the SWC season with a 8-2 record, qualifying them for a second-place berth. They lost twice to SWC champion Texas, who also won the SWC tournament in Austin.

Other SWC teams to advance to the NCAA tournament are the Red Raiders of Texas Tech, who host the L.S.U. Tigers and the Longhorns, who travel farther down South to play Georgia.

In the process of gaining an NCAA bid, the Lady Cougars also moved to a different region. The Northwest Region is just as difficult, if not more so, than their previous South Region.

The Cougars are joined by such powerhouse teams as third-ranked Long Beach State, fourth-ranked Pacific, 13th-ranked UC Santa Barbara, Louisville, Arkansas State and Idaho.

If Houston defeats Illinois State, they would move on to play the winner of the Arkansas-Long Beach game.

All the team members are optimistic about their chances against the Red Birds tonight.

"We deserve to get a bid," said sophomore-hitter Lilly Denoon. "It is a good reward for us."

Senior-hitter Karina Faber expressed some nostalgia about the tournament.

"This is my last one so I really want us to win. We can do it," she said.

The American Volleyball Coaches Association ranked the Lady Cougar's schedule the eleventh toughest in the country.

ASTROS START NEW ERA, SIGN FORMER COUGAR HURLER

In the Astros' quest to build a powerhouse baseball club, they have added a familiar face to their pitching staff.

Former Cougar pitcher Doug Drabeck was signed to the Houston Astros for almost $20 million on Tuesday.

Much to the delight of Houstonians, Victorians, and Cougar fans, the former National League Cy Young winner lives in the Woodlands and is already expected to be a big draw at the Astrodome.

The Astros are sporting a new look to their somewhat lean wardrobe of players, starting with Drabeck. New additions often mean more money; fortunately, money is something that owner Drake McLane is willing to part with for the sake of the team.

Drabeck has tallied impressive records in the major leagues for the past nine years playing for the Pittsburgh Pirates and the New York Yankees.

Before his success in big-time baseball, he also set records at UH.

He pitched from 1981-83 where he appeared in 56 games and posted a school record of 27-11 for the most career victories. In addition to his victories, he pitched a career-high six shutouts, tied for second in school history.

One of those shutouts included a no-hitter against Southwest Louisiana on March 6, 1988; the final score was Houston 6, Louisiana 0.

His banner year at Houston as a Cougar was 1983. He went 12-3 that season and is still tied for second place in school history with wins in one season.

His .800 winning percentage for that year is still tied for second in school history for a single-season winning percentage.

Drabeck was drafted by the Chicago White Sox in the tenth round.

Some other of Drabeck's amazing statistics while at UH include an honorable mention to the All-SWC selection in 1982; he posted a life-time ERA of 3.49, and he was named the most experienced UH starter.

Drabeck was a junior business major when he was drafted.

EX-COUGAR ARRESTED FOR CRACK POSSESSION

Former UH standout Robert Williams, who played basketball for the Cougars from 1979-82, was arrested Tuesday for possession of crack cocaine. He was released Wednesday on bond.

According to police, Williams, 31, fled from Texas City officers in his 1990 Mercedes Tuesday morning when they tried to stop him for a traffic violation. A chase ensued and when Williams was stopped, officers found 34 rocks of crack cocaine and a crack pipe in his possession.

As a Cougar, the 6-foot-2 Williams averaged 21.1 points, 4.6 assists and 2.5 rebounds per game and twice led Houston to the NCAA tournament.

Former Coach Guy V. Lewis was shocked when he heard the news of Williams.

"He was one of the most popular guys on the team, if not the most popular," Lewis said. "He's the kind of guy that you liked immediately. I saw Rob this summer at the game where they had all the ex-players back to play. He looked like he was having a lot of fun, like everybody else."

Lewis' 1982 team of Williams, Hakeem Olajuwon, Clyde Drexler, Michael Young and Larry Micheaux went to the Final Four semifinals and lost to North Carolina, 68-63, at the Superdome in New Orleans in front of 61,612. It was the largest crowd to ever see a Cougar game.

The Denver Nuggets picked Williams as the 19th player in the 1982 draft. He was waived Oct. 23, 1984.

Lewis said drugs are a part of society and he can't blame the NBA for what happened to Williams.

"You try to guard against it by talking to your players and by telling them to watch who they ran around with," Lewis said. "I think every coach does it. I'm sure they still do. I know they did it in my day. Coaching is not just drawing X's and O's up on a blackboard, it's interacting with your players and trying to help them grow up. Rob is just a super young man as far as I'm concerned."

TEAMS TO MAKE BIG SPLASH AT INVITATIONAL

The Houston Cougar Swim and Dive teams head to Austin this weekend to compete against some of the top-ranked teams in the country at the Texas Invitational at the University of Texas.

The invitational will definitely not be a romp in the wading pool for the 38th-ranked Cougar team. The top two swim teams in the country, Stanford and Texas, respectively, will be out to defend their NCAA standings at the tournament.

Other teams competing are #5 Arizona, #25 LSU, #31 Nebraska, and #39 Arkansas. The Aggies and the Rice Owls are also attending.

The meet will be the second meeting for SWC rivals Texas and Houston. Earlier this season, Texas swimmer Whitney Hedgepeth and Houston swimmer Michelle Smith, who is also a member of Ireland's Olympic team, literally went stroke for stroke in the 200 individual medley.

Unfortunately, Lady Longhorn Hedgepeth won the race with a time of 2:06.11. Smith's time was 2:07.83.

The Cougars opened their season with a win against cross-town rival Rice. The Cougars came away from the meet with 147 points over Rice's 118.

MEN'S BASKETBALL TEAM STARTS SEASON AGAINST BLUE DEMONS ON SATURDAY

by Keith Rollins

The 1992 UH men's basketball schedule starts this Saturday with a match-up against the DePaul Blue Demons. The game is slated for national exposure on ESPN at 8:30 p.m.

UH's squad split its exhibition season. They slapped High Five America 96-84, but were victims of TTL Bamberg, a German team, 75-72.

DePaul is coming off their season opener with a 103-68 rout over Chicago State.

Overall, the Blue Demons lead Houston 3-1 in past contests. In their last meeting, two years ago, DePaul came away with a 76-62 victory in Chicago.

The teams have similar game plans and personnel. DePaul and Houston both rely on under-sized men who play big and quick at both ends of the floor.

The Cougars will be anchored by returning starter Charles Outlaw at center. Running the floor will be junior college transfer Anthony Goldwire and the SWC pre-season first-team pick at forward, Derrick Smith.

The Blue Demon's senior guard Terry Davis will be DePaul's main offensive weapon this year. Davis scored a team-high 21 points in their opener and is a favorite on numerous Great Midwest preseason picks.

Another Demon that UH will have to be weary of is junior forward Kris Hill. Hill, a juco transfer, scored 17 points and snared 11 boards in his first Division I game.

The Cougars are starting the season in a state of limbo. Outlaw was dominant in Houston's first game, equalling his points and rebounds at 17. But against TTL Bamberg, Outlaw was slowed for a total of nine points and four rebounds.

Smith seems to be Head Coach Pat Foster's most pleasant surprise. The senior forward has averaged 19 points and eight rebounds during the exhibition stretch run.

And as expected, Goldwire's numbers have been excellent. He averaged nine assists and 16 points in his first two games.

The Cougars need a win this weekend to vault their reputation into the national basketball scene.

Although the squad finished the season as the SWC Co-champions a year ago, they cease to exist in national pollster's minds.

With a win against the Blue Demons in Chicago, the Cougars' first step to March Madness should be taken.

LADY CAGERS TO HOST 'HOBBY HILTON CLASSIC' AT HOFHEINZ

Eager to get back on the court, the Lady Cougar basketball team will host and participate in the Hobby Hilton Classic this weekend.

Southern Mississippi, Sacramento State and Jackson State join the Cougars at the tournament.

The basketball action begins on Saturday afternoon with Southern Mississippi and Jackson State doing battle at 5 p.m. Later that evening the Lady Cougars take on the Lady Hornets at 7 p.m. All games take place at Hofhienz Pavilion.

The games continue on Sunday, starting at 1 p.m. with the consolation game. The championship game begins at 3 p.m.

The Lady Cougars will be out to even up their season record after losing to the 6th-ranked Lady Jacks of Stephen F. Austin on Tuesday night, 81-70.

The Lady Hornets of Sacramento State posted a 13-16 season last year. They will be playing without the aid of junior guard Tesia Green and will lean on forward Kristy Ryan to take her place. The Lady Hornets start their season on Thursday against San Jose State.

Nine new faces dot the Lady Tigers team from Jackson State. Last season the team finished in second place in the SWAC with a 12-2 record.

Kim Linson, the 1992 Freshman Player of the Year, will lend a helping hand to the Lady Tigers. Jackson State has gotten off to a slow start this season dropping their first game by one point 47-46 to Belhaven College.

The last team appearing at the tournament this weekend is another southern club from Mississippi. The Lady Eagles will be landing led by Kodak-All American Janice Felder.

Assistant coach John Ishee is hoping for the best at the tournament.

"We hope to play the Cougars this weekend. We are excited about the tournament and hope to play well."

Last season's Lady Eagle team posted a 21-10 record and advanced to the NCAA tournament.

CONNING HIS WAY INTO CONGRESS, MURPHY A TRUE GENTLEMAN

by Jeff Balke

Eddie Murphy has brought back laughter and a sense of reality in his new release, <i>The Distinguished Gentleman<p>.

Murphy does this by using the comedic talents that made him famous and emphasizing the "con" in congressman.

Murphy plays Thomas Jefferson Johnson, an above-average con artist running a phone-sex scam when he realizes the "real" money is in Washington, D.C.

When incumbent congressman Jeff Johnson (James Garner), from Florida, Murphy's home state, dies before the election, Murphy runs for office as "Jeff" Johnson (short for Jefferson), and wins on name recognition.

In Washington, Murphy and his cohorts, Miss Loretta (Sheryl Lee Ralph), Armando (Victor Rivers) and Van Dyke (Sonny Jim Gaines), begin scamming everyone in sight.

Soon, however, moved by a young cancer victim (Autumn Winters), soon-to-be girlfriend and activist Celia Kirby (Victoria Rowell) and her uncle, Congressman Elijah Hawkins (Charles S. Dutton), Murphy turns his conning expertise on Congress.

Grant Shaud of Murphy Brown fame plays Arthur Reinhardt, an administrative assistant supposedly helping Murphy's character with the difficult task of becoming an up-and-comer in Congress.

This movie has far more positive points than negative. The most striking aspect is what seems to be the virtual reality of the ridiculous situations occurring throughout the picture.

Most of the realistic presentation is not only due to the performance of the well-picked cast, but to the well-written screenplay by Marty Kaplan, who worked as a speechwriter for former Vice President Walter Mondale, the talents of Jonathan Lynn, an award-winning British director and political satirist and the skills of veteran producer, Leonard Goldberg (<I>Sleeping With the Enemy<P>, <I>Die Hard<p> and <i>Big<p>).

Shot in Washington, <I>The Distinguished Gentleman<p> implies truth is stranger than fiction and used actual scandals like the Charles Keating banking fiasco as examples of a congressman's daily life.

Murphy, after a couple of flops (<I>Another 48 Hours<p> and <i>Boomerang<p>), has rebounded with a winner in the style of earlier movies like <I>Beverly Hills Cop<p> and <I>Trading Places.<p>. He is funnier than ever.

If the movie had any drawbacks, it was that it seemed to lose something towards the end and dragged a bit. However, the rest made up for any shortcomings.

Any movie that mocks the federal government is worth watching, even if it is just satire. It's nothing like the way Congress really is - or is it?

SOUL ASYLUM, LEMONHEADS FALL PREY TO LACKLUSTER AUDIENCE

by Manuel Esparza

Sometimes it seems that the band is having more fun than the audience. The Lemonheads and Soul Asylum sure did Wednesday night at the Vatican. Houston's apathetic fans did not dim the groups' enthusiasm for performing.

The Lemonheads, currently harvesting the success of <i>It's A Shame About Ray<p> , made their set with solid playing. Their approach to their music was not as much fidelity to the album as it was to having fun.

Evan Dando's voice wasn't as clear as it is on the record, but his guitar never failed him. During "Bit Part" he invited one of the audience members to screech out the intro, and then told him he could have stayed and sung the "cute bits" with bassist Juliana Hatfield.

Through the entire set, the audience just stood there, unmoved by the trio's show. Even when they did their current hit, "Its A Shame About Ray," and unveiled a great new tune, there was only polite applause. The Lemonheads did not let this slow them down. In fact, they even powered up for "Mrs. Robinson." Playing with feedback and other effects, they took the classic to a post-<i>Graduate<p> group.

Soul Asylum came out and actually got a response from the muted mob. There was even (gasp) dancing! Still, the majority of the crowd remained immobile.

Daniel Murphy, guitarist and singer, seemed a little buzzed, but had an unremovable smile. His voice wrung out every bit of emotion that each song had in it. Murphy's voice is not remarkable, but his mastery of it is fantastic. He uses it effectively, taking the audience through all the heartache he sings about.

Dave Pirner, lead guitarist and chief songwriter (he wrote all the songs on the latest disc), let Daniel do most of the onstage running around. He preferred to close his eyes and coax sweet music from his instrument. Meanwhile bassist Karl Mueller showed he could chew gum and keep rhythm.

Soul Asylum chose to play songs mainly from their new album, <i>Grave Dancers Union<p>. With energetic renditions they stripped the polish off their songs and sanded them down to reveal new layers.

The memorable images of the show are of Murphy tossing his dredlocks around, Mueller playing his bass behind his neck, and Murphy and Pirner going to the amps for some serious feedback. To end the show, Pirner used the mike stand as a slide bar while Murphy again went to the amps. He struck some foul note and his instrument shrieked.

Murphy has said their encores usually consist of fun songs and a lot of covers. Houston was treated to fun covers. Lemonhead Juliana Hatfield came out and helped sing the first one. His fun factor was maxed out.

Next the band began to take requests. After Pirner feinted with "Paranoia," they polled the audience to see if they wanted to hear songs or the band's medly. The medly won out. Playing the recognizable with the obscure, they played for 20 more minutes.

Its just too bad the show didn't last longer. Murphy stated the band makes albums as an excuse to tour. Hopefully Soul Asylum will return soon, and maybe the crowd will at least applaud.

DISNEY'S ALADDIN CONJURS CINEMATIC MAGIC

by Deborah Hensel

Three wishes and a magic flying carpet -- what more could any street urchin want? Alas, Aladdin wants the beautiful princess, Jasmine, as well.

With the help of a gregarious blue genie, the upwardly-mobile beggar manages to win her heart in Disney's 31st full-length animated feature, <i>Aladdin<p>.

Based on the classic Arabian Nights fairy tale, <i>Aladdin<p> delivers even more than its successful predecessors, <i>Beauty and the Beast<p> and <i>The Little Mermaid:<p>: more action, more laughs and a wider audience appeal.

Set in the mythical Arabic kingdom of Agrabah, <i>Aladdin<p> characters are more ethnic -- no more perky blonde WASP heroines.

And at last, Aladdin gives us a character with which boys can identify, one who learns a valuable lesson that can benefit all young viewers: be yourself.

But don't think this is a film just for the younger set. There's plenty in Aladdin to appeal to us bigger kids.

By now, you probably know the show's star is the always-animated voice of our favorite human cartoon, Robin Williams, who brings the genie of the lamp to life.

Animating Williams' free-form flights of improvisation proved a challenge for supervising animator Eric Goldberg, but the results are worth all his efforts.

Watching the genie transform into Arsenio Hall, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Ed Sullivan, Jack Nicholson, William F. Buckley, Robert De Niro and others is like watching Williams himself.

Disney Studios' Computer Generated Imagery department worked overtime creating new animation wonders like the affable carpet Aladdin encounters in the Cave of Wonders.

<i>Aladdin<p> is also full of visual puns and Disney film lore in-jokes that grown-up cartoon junkies will enjoy.

Musically, the film upholds the same high standards we've come to expect from composer Alan Menken and his late partner, lyricist Howard Ashman. The duo won Academy Awards for best song and best original score on both <i>The Little Mermaid<p> and <i>Beauty and the Beast<p>.

Tony Award-winning lyricist Tim Rice of <i>Evita<p> and <i>Jesus Christ Superstar<p>, added his talents when Ashman became too ill to complete the project.

Either rent a kid or hop on your flying carpet and go alone. This is one Disney classic that fulfills your three film wishes: music, magic and mega-laughs.

TOAD HOPS INTO TOWN, WOULD RATHER BE HOME

by Sally Pouncy

Glen Phillips of Toad the wet sprocket is hopping mad about fame, autographs and the government.

The toil of performing six shows a week has finally taken its toll on Phillips. During their show at the Tower Theater Wednesday night, Phillips appeared tired and looked like he would rather be somewhere else.

In fact, when introducing their hit song "All I Want," he reached into his pocket and brought out a ticket. Then he said he had a ticket to The Lemonheads and wanted to be at the Vatican instead of performing at the Tower.

During the first encore, several girls in front of the stage were screaming and he looked down at them and said "Calm down, you don't even know me."

Even though his face is played on MTV and their songs get a lot of air play, Phillips is still not used to the idea of fame. "Fame is kind of a weird 20th century production. It used to mean you had accomplished something meaningful, now it has a connotation of where your face appears," Phillips said.

By today's standards, he and the rest of Toad are on their way to being famous and Phillips is already feeling the pressure of being a public figure.

"Having people know you everywhere you go is annoying. You always feel like you are being watched," he said.

That's because he <i>is<p> being watched. In just six months Toad has released two singles, recorded a song for the movie <i>Buffy the Vampire Slayer<p> and has gone back out on tour.

Having people watch him when he is on stage does not seem to bother him -- he just closes his eyes. But at the show he asked, "Do you know how hard it is to look out over a crowd of 800 people and try NOT to make eye contact?"

Making eye contact is only one of Phillips' problems with his new-found fame. "I do not see what the importance of an autograph is. People come up to you in a store and ask for your autograph, and day to day I can deal with it, but I just don't understand it," he said.

"It is cool when people see you, make eye contact and smile, maybe they will come up to me and meet me, but (I feel that) it is nothing to have people know your name and you not know anything about them," he said.

Clearly Phillips needs a break. They have been on tour for nearly the whole year and will get a short break for the holidays before heading back out to tour Europe.

The break will do Phillips and the rest of the band some good. He complained about having to talk so much about the band and not being asked about any other subjects in interviews. "It is strange to go out for a year and lose many things that are important to you," said he.

Some of the things that are important to him are charities like Amnesty International and the ACLU.

"I'm a card-carrying member of the ACLU," he proudly said.

Being involved with such organizations means he is politically active. Does he think our government is doing a good job?

"No, our government is not doing anything. There are people in there who think Armageddon is coming so we (the country) don't need to do anything for the environment. The treatment of blacks in our country has been appalling, and the welfare system needs to be improved," he said.

However, he thinks the incoming regime will be able to make progress, but said, "I don't think anyone will fix it."

EVEN MORE ETHERIDGE NEVER ENOUGH

by Rebecca McPhail

She doesn't make flashy videos or naughty picture books. She doesn't have bottle-blonde hair or tattoos on her derriere. Hell, she doesn't even wear lipstick, but Melissa Etheridge managed to win over the near-capacity crowd Wednesday night at Jones Hall with the sheer force of her guitar-driven rock.

Etheridge kicked off the show with "Ain't It Heavy" and proceeded to blast through four songs before stopping for a breath.

The crowd, already enthusiastic about the diminutive singer's musical prowess, was thoroughly won over by the end of "Chrome-plated Heart." Near the song's close, Etheridge (playing guitar) and bassist Kevin McCormick sat down on the edge of the stage and proceeded to trade licks while serenading a security guard who happened to leaning against the stage in the right place at the right time.

Later in the show, Etheridge, McCormick and the rest of the band, including guitarist Rob Allen, drummer Fritz Lewak and keyboardist Walker Igleheart passed around the sticks and joined in an orgiastic drum-fest, beating on everything in sight.

Playing for more than two hours and barely breaking a sweat, Etheridge showed how she has amassed a legion of loyal fans by following a simple premise -- work hard, play harder.

BRIEFS

SUSPECT ARRESTED

One of the female suspects who robbed a student in Cambridge Oaks Apartments after following her from Popeye's last Sunday has been arrested.

Cherry Marie Coleman, 22, was arrested for aggravated robbery, a first degree felony, at her west Houston townhome at 3:05 p.m. Wednesday.

She was identified through the description of the Chevy Blazer.

"The description of the (Blazer) was traced through motor vehicle records," UHPD Lt. Malcolm Davis said. "We got a current address and the owner's name -- Cherry was the owner."

With this information, a check on Coleman was done and UHPD got a picture of her.

"It fit the exact description given by the female victim," he said. "We then had her come in and identify (Coleman) through a photo lineup."

When she was arrested, she said nothing about her alleged accomplices. "She had nothing to say except 'I want my lawyer'," Davis said. "She did not want to talk."

However, UHPD does have leads on her female and male accomplices.

Coleman was taken to Harris County Jail and is still being held on $20,000 bond.

She is scheduled to appear in court Dec. 16 for charges of aggravated robbery with serious bodily injury.

* * *

HAVE IT THEIR WAY

The Burger King at 2901 Cullen was broken into late Tuesday night.

A VCR was taken from the building, as was a variety of frozen foods and clothing, said Lt. Brad Wigtil of UHPD. The burglars did not manage to take any money.

According to Wigtil, the burglars entered through the drive-thru window on the back of the building.

Bridgette Boyd, an employee of Burger King, arrived at 6 a.m. Wednesday and discovered the open window. She called the police and, not knowing if anyone was still in the building, waited outside for Officer Debra Rivera of UHPD.

Wigtil said the police have no suspects at this point. If anyone has any information, please call 743-0600.

* * *

COACH NOT CHARGED

UHPD will not charge assistant women's basketball coach Timothy Tyrone Eatman with falsifying a police report.

Eatman was arrested in October because UHPD said a report he made to them saying personal items had been stolen was false. A UHPD officer found the property the coach had reported stolen.

"I felt like, being an employee of an institution, that maybe the situation could have been handled differently," said Eatman.

Eatman reported to UHPD that his car had been burglarized and that his briefcase, three rings and his keys had been stolen.

He was subsequently arrested due to an alleged discrepancy between UHPD findings and his report. His briefcase containing the three rings were found in his Hofheinz Pavilion office.

"There seemed to be inconsistencies with what was happening and how he (Eatman) said it actually happened," UHPD Lt. Brad Wigtil said.

His keys were found in the Astrodome by a UH custodial employee's nephew the day before he filed his report with UHPD.

"Charges against Eatman were dropped because without a motive it would be impossible to prove (he lied)," assistant district attorney Stuart Brown said. "(UHPD) did a really good job of investigating the case but unless there is a reasonable probability that we will win the case, we won't go forward with it," he said.

Eatman signed an affidavit stating that he did not have insurance on the rings or the briefcase and that he would not seek reimbursement from the university for the property, Brown said.

"I was dissatisfied with the idea that I was treated like a criminal," Eatman said.

After three previously rescheduled court appearances, Eatman went to court Tuesday.

However, his arrest has not affected his job status and he is still an assistant coach.

"It hasn't affected my work here," he said. "It's not going to stop my work. I am here to coach basketball and win games."

X-MAS GALA

Students and faculty from the UH Conrad N. Hilton College of Hotel and Restaurant Management will host a Christmas party for about 50 youngsters from the L'Amour Village Emergency Shelter from 2 p.m to 4 p.m on Sunday, Dec. 6 in the hotel's Waldorf Astoria Room.

The gathering will feature elves, a visit with Santa, presents, games, Christmas carols and a non-traditional holiday dinner designed just for the young guests.

"We this to be an occasion to delight the children. Instead of serving adult food such as ham and potatoes, our menu features hot dogs, curly fires and cookies," says Danny Arocha, a junior hotel and restaurant management major.

* * *

OFFICERS SWORN IN

UH's Interfraternity Council swore in newly elected officers yesterday at its last weekly meeting of the fall semester.

The council selected the officers for the 1993 calendar school last week.

The new officers are J. Gavin Kaszynski of Sigma Chi, president; Michael Stein of Sigma Nu, vice-president; Jozsef Sos of Sigma Chi, secretary; Gregory Wassberg of Sigma Nu, treasurer; Dan Beyer of Kappa Alpha, rush chairman; and Jason Fuller of Sigma Phi Epsilon, judicial chairman.

The four executive officers raised their right hands and pledged to such duties as not using or supporting drugs, not drinking and agreeing to challenge their fellow brothers.

In other business, the council amended one of their present by-laws that allows presidents or vice-presidents of chapters to also be the president of the council to a by-law stating that one person can not have both jobs.

The council is the self-governing body for the 12 men's fraternity chapters which are members of the National Interfraternity Conference. The purpose of the council is to promote the interests and coordinate activities of its chapters.

Major upcoming activities for the Spring are Frontier Fiesta and Rush, which is held for three weeks and starts the first day of the semester, said Patrick Brown, former president.

STUDENTS FACE YEAR IN JAIL AFTER TEST-SUBSTITUTION SCHEME

CPS -- Two California men were sentenced to probation after pleading no contest to criminal charges arising from a cheat scheme in which one student paid a National Merit scholar $400 to take an economics examination for him. Tony H. Lee, 20, a student at the California State University, Northridge, and Parousia Liu, 20, a National Merit scholar enrolled at the University of California at Los Angeles, were charged Nov. 19 with falsifying a driver's license. They faced maximum penalties of a year in jail and a $1,000 fine.

On Nov. 24, both men pleaded no contest to the charges. Liu was fined $445, while Lee was fined $364. Each was sentenced to two years' probation.

Keith Evans, economics department chairman at Cal State Northridge, said he was disappointed with the sentences, which he didn't believe were strict enough to deter would-be cheaters.

College officials said Lee also could be expelled from college. Lee failed the same class last spring under a different professor.

Lee is accused of hiring Liu for $400 to take his exams for him in Professor Ed McDevitt's Principles of Microeconomics class.

"He knew I was a good economics student," said Liu, who said he agreed to take the test because he needed the money. "I work, but I don't get paid well enough."

Relying on notes passed to him from Lee, Liu took the first exam Sept. 29 and earned an 82. Shortly thereafter, McDevitt received an anonymous tip alerting him to a possible impostor in his class.

"I was pretty upset because I really abhor cheating," McDevitt said. "To me, it's the equivalent of stealing."

With more than 50 students in his class, McDevitt did not try to single out the student in question. Instead, he asked his students to bring identification cards to the next exam on Nov. 5.

That day, Liu allegedly showed up as Lee, but was unable to provide any identification. McDevitt let Liu take the exam, but made him agree to bring identification to receive his test grade on Nov. 11.

Between the exam and the meeting with McDevitt, campus police said Liu paid $275 for a phony driver's license with a picture he received from the Northridge student.

On Nov. 11, Liu went to the meeting with McDevitt, only to find campus police waiting for him. When confronted about the phony ID, the UCLA student confessed his part in the scheme and led officers to Lee, who also confessed.

The students said they regretted their actions.

"This is my first and last time," Lee said. "It's like an at-the-moment thing, you know what I mean? Even if you accomplish it, you're like, 'Why'd I have to do this?'"

Lee, whose major is undecided, said he failed the class last semester because his friends encouraged him to ditch the class and party with them.

CSUN officials said they are investigating the case for disciplinary action against Lee, which could range from a formal reprimand to expulsion from the university.

Micheal Wilding, UCLA's assistant dean of students, said Liu is unlikely to face any academic discipline from UCLA since the university has no jurisdiction over what students do off campus.

That thought does not soothe some professors.

"I'm worried that this notion of somebody taking exams for somebody else is much more common than we think," Evans said. With more and more students being packed into classrooms, Evans pointed out, "I'm afraid it's going to be much harder to detect."

LSU STAFF, ENDURING PAY CUTS, GETS X-MAS CHEER FROM FACULTY

BATON ROUGE, La. (CPS) -- Budget cutbacks in Louisiana brought Santa Claus out early this year as economics and music professors at Louisiana State University covered their staffs' pay cuts out of their own pockets.

Professors in the economics department raised $1,200 to distribute among 21 staff members who took an across-the-board 2 percent pay cut. The pay cuts were instituted to save the school $1 million, said Loren Scott, who chairs the department. "One of the secretaries has been with us for 23 years and stuck with us though bad times," he said. "Now it's our turn."

Donna Burton, a secretary in the economics department, said she came into work in mid-November and found an envelope on her desk. "The letter said, 'Thank you for not having a bad attitude,' and in it was a check for 40 hours of work," she said.

Burton is a single mother who is raising a eight-year-old son and taking courses at LSU. "It was like a big Christmas present for him. I didn't want to tell him that there's no Santa Claus, that it's mama's salary," she said. "Our faculty has always been generous with us."

Professors in the music department also chipped in money to help the staff make up losses in income, school officials said. They will give $50 each to 10 members of the support and custodial staff, and try to have the money to them by Christmas.

Louisiana is cutting $93 million from its budget this year, and the university system has to reduce spending by $45 million.

LSU's Baton Rouge campus has to trim $9.3 million, so it raised tuition by $200 per semester and froze hiring, travel and equipment purchases. Tenured professors can't be forced to take a pay cut so they were asked to volunteer 2 percent, Scott said.

Burton's 2 percent pay cut represented a month's rent. "It's a lot of money for them to give up," Scott said.

Said Burton: "I really have nothing to complain about now. I feel real lucky the professors took care of us. We're real appreciative of that. But it is not out of character for our department."

NATIONAL BRIEFS

SEX IS THE WORD

Madonna, like Madison Avenue, found out a long time ago that sex sells.

But her best-selling book "Sex," in which the pop culture icon acts out her sexual fantasies in pictures, is getting a mixed review at campus bookstores, says Campus Marketplace, a weekly newsletter of the National Association of College Stores.

Tim Miessler, the manager of the bookstore at Florida Atlantic University in Boca Raton, told the newsletter he won't sell the book because he doesn't want to offend patrons.

The book, which costs $49.95, sold out at the University of Cincinnati bookstore in Ohio. The first order of 14 books quickly sold, and more were ordered. A book buyer at Colorado State University in Fort Collins didn't order "Sex" because of the price.

"I thought the price was extremely high for what you were getting," Cindy Peterson told the newsletter.

NO-NO LIFESTYLE

DARTMOUTH, N.H. - Dartmouth University officials designated a substance-free dormitory this year, and applications to live in the building were nearly double the number of available rooms.

"I wanted a dorm I could come home to. I definitely like it here," said Laura Sewell, a freshman resident.

The dorm, Butterfield Hall, houses 55 students. University officials said the request for a substance-free dorm was made by students last spring.

Students who live in Butterfield Hall have to sign an agreement that states they will adopt "the goals and community standards established for a substance-free dorm."

"As long as the idea is student-originated, I think the college should supply substance-free housing. I think people are pleased with the way it has been going," said Scott Molinaroli, the student area coordinator for Butterfield.

EARLY EDUCATORS

WILLIAMSBURG, Va. - The College of William and Mary will mark its 300th anniversary with a year-long series of events in 1993.

The college was chartered Feb. 8, 1693, by King William III and Queen Mary II of England to bring education to colonists and Christianity to Native Americans. Among its early alumni are Thomas Jefferson, James Monroe and John Tyler, all presidents of the United States.

William and Mary, a public, four-year residential university, will focus its celebrations on two periods: Charter Week, Feb. 8-13, and homecoming, Oct. 20-24. "In human terms, there are very few things that reach the age of 300. That, alone, is something to celebrate," said Henry Rosovsky, a member of the William and Mary class of 1949 and now a professor at Harvard University.

A DAY WITHOUT

CARLISLE, Pa. - Students and faculty at Dickinson College held a Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week, slept outdoors in cardboard boxes and fasted to understand social problems.

The observance was expanded from one day to four days this year because of an increase in student interest, said Marty Willard, the assistant director of the school's religious affairs office. The office has organized an annual day of fasting since 1976 to show concern for the hungry in the United States and abroad.

The students held a hunger banquet, where they were randomly divided into First, Second and Third World people and given a meal traditionally eaten by those populations. They then spent a night outdoors and fasted.

STATIC STATUS

COLUMBUS, Ohio - Working and living conditions for minority women deteriorated at Ohio State University between 1977 and 1991, while the climate for white women remained the same, according to a report from the president's office.

The climate is one filled with sexist attitudes, racism, sexual harassment and fear for safety on campus at night, The Lantern reported.

The Commission on Women, appointed by the university's president, E. Gordon Gee, met with more than 350 women from the university, conducted in-depth interviews with individual women, and received more than 100 written responses to queries about the climate for women at the university.

Responses, reported anonymously to the commission, show what the report calls "often unconsciously sexist attitudes that pervade women's experience."

COMPUTER CRIME

SEATTLE - A University of Washington student used the campus computer system to break into systems at Boeing, a U.S. District court and the Environmental Protection Agency, the FBI has charged.

According to the FBI complaint, Charles Matthew Anderson, 19, a university student, and Costa George Katsaniotis, 21, of Seattle, were charged Nov. 10 with conspiracy to defraud the United States.

Anderson allegedly gave Katsaniotis information on how to break into the Boeing and court systems, the complaint said.

The two men could face maximum sentences of five years in prison and a $10,000 fine if convicted on the charges.

The two men reportedly said they broke into the computer systems as a challenge, rather than to obtain any vital information.