SA PROPOSES DRESS CODE TO BAN OTHER SWC GARB

by Scherilyn Ishop

UH students may be seeing red -- and white -- if the new resolution banning rival Southwest Conference colors is passed by the Students' Association.

SA members Michelle Palmer and Jeff Fuller, concerned about the lack of pride and abundance of apathy on UH's campus, sponsored the proposal.

"Michelle Palmer and I expressed concern that there is growing apathy, and that this bill will open students' eyes to improving UH pride," said Fuller, a senior RTV major. He added that sponsorship of the proposal was intended mainly to make a statement, not to change policy.

He said he and Palmer do not expect the resolution to pass SA's committee process intact.

The plan, said Fuller, responds to the lack of school spirit on campus and addresses the fact that many students are proud of UH's accomplishments and are offended by fellow Cougars wearing paraphernalia from other colleges.

The proposal said UH has a policy of not allowing any buildings on campus to be painted with rival SWC colors -- particularly burnt orange and maroon -- therefore, students should have the same courtesy and not dress themselves in those colors.

"We don't wish to infringe on the rights of students, but we felt it necessary," Fuller said.

Other senators reacted with strong support to the measure.

"Although I realize this is a violation of constitutional rights, Aggies and Longhorns shouldn't have these rights," said student Regent Mitch Rhodes.

"I think it's great. Anybody caught wearing rival school colors should be shot on sight. This should also include Harvard and Yale," said senator Kevin Jefferies, a graduate political science student.

Michelle Palmer, the co-sponsor of the bill, said the sponsors grew tired of the lack of spirit on campus.

"Rusty Hruska (SA president) and I, kind of as a joke at the beginning of our term, proposed this because we were sick of the apathy and lack of school pride. If Hruska signs the bill we think it will improve school pride," said Palmer, a junior political science major.

Senator Jason Fuller agreed. "I feel that as students we should support the University of Houston. Anybody that does wear opposing colors doesn't support this school and should take their loyalties elsewhere," he said.

The punishment for students caught wearing paraphernalia of other SWC schools? They will be issued a Student Life Violation and will be required to do five hours of community service on campus.

They must also write a two-page typed report for the dean of students on the history and traditions of the University of Houston.

"The intent of the bill is just to say 'Hey, take pride in UH and buy UH stuff,' " Rhodes said.

*******************************************************

SUGAR, NOT ALCOHOL BEST THING TO RELIEVE UPCOMING TEST ANXIETY

by Florian Ho

The frenzy of finals at the end of each semester has a cure, and it has nothing to do with alcohol.

Some people who have problems with nerves and can't calm down while studying decide to have a few beers to make them feel better, said student counselor Anne Miller at a Reducing Test Anxiety workshop Wednesday.

"Avoid alcohol, drugs and caffeine," Miller said. "They make you more nervous and reduce inhibition. Hard candy should have enough sugar to keep your brain going."

The main purpose of the workshop was to teach students how to relax before a test so they are able to get maximum results during the test.

The Counseling and Testing Center has additional workshops to help students prepare for exams, said Rosemary Hughes, assistant director of Counseling and Testing Center and workshop coordinator. "Students worrying about blanking-out or performing below their level of knowledge is what we mean about having test anxiety. We help the students understand how to cope," Hughes said.

One way of reducing anxiety is by taking five minutes before a test and doing a relaxation exercise to get yourself together, Miller said.

Student counselor Gayle Grotheer advises students to close their eyes and begin letting their tensions out.

Other recommendations Miller and Grotheer suggested are for students to share their stress by communicating their concerns, to wear something comfortable and to skip over questions they can't answer immediately.

"Back off and continue with the test. Remember, things will come back to you. The important thing is to remain relaxed," Miller said.

Some students in the UH High School Equivalency Program found the workshop beneficial since they are scheduled to take a two-day exam on Dec. 16 and 17.

"I always get stressed out, tense and get a headache taking a test. This program, especially the relaxing exercises, was helpful," said LaKeisha Williams, GED program student.

Hughes said the center is experimenting with shorter but more frequent workshops this semester.

"Those who can't take a full hour to attend a session may be able to squeeze 30 minutes into their schedule," Hughes said.

Workshop information is available through Learning Support Services, 743-5411.

PSYCHOLOGIST OFFERS TIPS TO STRESSED-OUT STUDENTS BESIEGED BY VARIOUS 'STRESSORS'

by Tamara Gay

Students faced with stressful events in their social lives might have difficulty studying and sleeping. It may even make them sick.

Richard I. Evans, a UH psychology professor, said the first step most stress management experts suggest is for individuals to identify the things that cause stress.

"These might even include factors in their personal lives such as the break up of a relationship, economic worries, the Christmas holiday season and so on," Evans said.

Once the sources of stress are identified, the individual should develop some strategies for coping with them, he said.

"If the stressor is seriously disabling, the student should seek some consultation with an individual in the Clinical Psychology Services Center or the Student Counseling Center," Evans said. "A less serious variety of stressors might be discussed with a significant other or a friend."

A stress treatment center established in 1980 at Ochsner Clinic in New Orleans has helped more than 1500 people manage stress. The center holds workshops to help people adapt to life's ups and downs, change their outlook and realize when it is not possible to change the world around them.

Center Director John Wakeman said, "Stress is the body's natural reaction to any demand placed upon it, whether pleasant (winning the lottery) or unpleasant (being laid off from work)."

Stress brought on by final exams can be combated by reviewing material well ahead of time, Evans said. "In spite of the wisdom of such an approach, surprisingly few students respond to the logic.

"Procrastination for the student may be the least effective way of coping with stress."

On a lighter note, a UH professor once told his class when he was in college he always got extremely nervous before taking an exam. He said a fellow classmate of his was always relaxed before taking tests, and he could never understand how this classmate remained so calm.

The professor described his classmate as sort of a "cowboy." The cowboy finally offered the professor some words of wisdom: "You do your best and even if you don't make as good a grade, you're not gonna die."

CAMPUS CLINIC OFFERS HELP TO BULIMIA SUFFERERS

by Melissa Neeley

Imagine being so obsessed with your body you vomit, take laxatives or exercise for hours to stay thin after eating plate after plate of food.

People who have the eating disorder called bulimia get into cycles of bingeing and purging because of cultural expectations that beauty is directly related to being thin, said Gail Hudson, a staff counselor at the Counseling and Testing Center.

The disorder is characterized by binge eating followed immediately by vomiting to avoid weight gain.

Students having eating disorders like bulimia or anorexia nervosia (not eating) can come into the Counseling and Testing Center for individual counseling. Although bulimics may binge and purge a couple of times a week, Hudson said she knows some women who have purged up to 10 to 12 times in a day.

"Across campuses, you might find 20 percent of your student population suffering from bulimia, but only 1 percent experiencing anorexia," said Hudson, who is also the program director of the Houston-Galveston consortium against substance abuse.

"Family factors, social expectations and personal issues lead a person to become bulimic. Its cause cannot be attributed to one source," she said.

Bulimics are usually of average weight or five to 10 pounds overweight, Hudson said.

In our society dieting is much more of an integral part of women's lives rather than men's lives, she said. For example, most diet products are aimed at women. Ten to 12- year-old girls have been known to diet or exercise excessively because they believe themselves to be overweight, she said.

"We teach young girls to diet even though we know that 90 percent of diets fail. Women continue to diet because our society puts so much emphasis on appearance when judging women," Hudson said.

When bulimics come for help at the Counseling and Testing Center, Hudson demands they get a complete physical examination since frequent vomiting can lead to an electrolyte imbalance, specifically, low potassium content in the blood that can cause cardiac arrest.

Also, the stomach acids and constant force on the throat from vomiting may cause the esophagus to rupture.

If bouts of bingeing and purging continue, menstruation can cease, and often bouts of diarrhea and constipation can occur.

Bulimia taxes the body so much that it can cause severe illness leading to death, Hudson said

Patricia Yongue, an English and Women's Studies professor, said bulimia is mostly indigenous to Canadian, American and Western European women who are motivated by the desire to be the feminine idea men have created.

"One of the chief status symbols for (American) women is to be the way American men want them to be -- thin. Men have also always wanted to control women's bodies and this is another way of doing it," Yongue said.

Yongue also said the ideal image of a woman in our culture is the narcissistic image of a male. Most women are naturally round; therefore, trying to be extremely thin shows women trying to have a body type that resembles men more than women.

A woman who becomes anorexic or bulimic also believes that nothing is more important than control of her surface physical image, she said. Women who suffer from eating disorders, however, are merely acknowledging that they have no control because they are buying into a cultural image, she said.

Historical references of this ideology date back to Aristotle, who wrote that the male body is superior to the female, Yongue said.

"The statistics on the ways that (fashion) models are being represented in ads shows that they are consistently getting thinner. These models are constantly held up (to women) as standards of what is beautiful," said Cynthia Freeland, director of the Women's Studies Program at UH.

Julia Bristor, assistant professor of marketing at UH, said men and women are encouraged to lose weight differently.

"I have observed that there is a (marketing) trend for men needing to lose weight, but to still remain healthy and muscular. When it comes to women needing to lose weight, it's not about their health, but about acceptability to other people," said Bristor, who studies beauty images in advertising.

Bristor cited a Newsweek article that said 93 percent of all stomach-tuck operations given in the United States in 1990 were performed on women.

"Women's bodies seem to be open to public scrutiny. Our society puts a tremendous emphasis on the way women look," Bristor said.

"Marketers seem to be able to take advantage of the insecurities and uncertainties that some women feel about the importance of their weight."

STUDENT'S ART EXHIBITION CAUSES COMMUNITY OUTRAGE

(CPS) -- The People's Art Show, one of Cleveland State University's most popular exhibitions, has a policy of accepting almost anything, but one artist's shocking image has the campus in an uproar.

When art student Steve Bostwick displayed a naked and smiling, pen-and-ink portrait of a missing teenage girl, Cleveland State University officials lowered the boom.

"In recent years, the show has been targeted by a small minority who deliberately enter works which are meant to shock and insult the community," said J. Taylor Sims, acting school president.

Sims has instructed art department officials to develop "appropriate controls" over artwork that has, in the past, included inflammatory images such as the U.S. flag as a doormat and a graphic depiction of a slain teenager.

"Let us not forget that along with the right of free expression one must accept the responsibility for the consequences of that expression," Sims said.

Bostwick, a 24-year old senior who is studying art and communications, also created controversy in the same art show in 1990 with his drawing of a murdered girl in graphic sexual and drug scenes. According to Bostwick, the art was an attempt to show that "sex, drugs and violence go together."

In both exhibitions, Bostwick's art was removed days after the show opened. In 1990, the murder victim's family threatened to sue.

Bostwick, who has been criticized for contacting the art critic at the Cleveland Plain Dealer newspaper and inviting her to see his work, said he made a promise to himself that if the artwork offended anyone, he would take it down immediately.

"I am not ashamed of the human body. It doesn't faze me to draw someone nude, and when I drew her, it was not perverse, it was legitimately artistic," Bostwick said.

The missing girl's mother, Jackie Ormston, told the Associated Press the piece of art "exploited my child and every other missing child in the world."

Angel Ormston disappeared July 31 after telling friends she was going to a Cleveland shopping mall. Her car and purse were found three days later. Police have no suspect.

Bostwick has since drawn a clothed version of the portrait, he said, called "Angel-O," and has sent it to the Ormstons, hoping they will accept it as a gift and an apology.

The removal of the piece of art has touched off a censorship debate on campus, and has officials pondering how to control the exhibit without crossing the line.

"This is an open, unjuried, uncensored show. Anyone who hears about it can enter it. When you have a free and open show, it may disturb some people," said John Hunter, chairman of the art department.

"The only alternative I can see is to not have the show," he said, noting that the People's Show is one of the most popular art exhibitions in Cleveland and is open to all artists in the community.

Hunter also blamed the media for creating "fodder for the evening news," saying that there was little comment from the large crowds attending the show until a reporter contacted the missing girl's family.

"People had very few complaints," he said. "A lot of the people who are offended did not even come to see the show."

Robert Thurmer, director of the Cleveland State University Art Gallery, said the school president has given art department officials 90 days to come up with a report on how the exhibition, which attracted over 200 artists, will be handled in the future.

"The question is a conflict of rights -- the rights of one individual infringing on another," he said, noting that the gallery may place a ban on cameras to prevent the show from becoming a media event.

"We are looking at options in order to avoid this fiasco in the future. Our only guideline is that we don't allow any art that might endanger the physical well-being of others," he said. "Perhaps we should say 'work that would cause emotional or spiritual trauma to others.' "

The Cauldron, the Cleveland State University newspaper, defended the show in a series of editorials, but was outspoken about the quality of Bostwick's artwork.

"Don't get us wrong, we defended the show. But his stuff was awful. It was like a 3 year old's. We know he had a right to do it, but it was really bad," said Angelo Pressello, the newspaper's editor.

"I have juried many shows and exhibitions, and I would have to say the quality of his work was not of exhibition quality," Thurmer said.

COUNTRY SINGER WOWS AUDIENCE

(CPS) -- If you feel more comfortable with a stack of old Rolling Stone LP's than a collection of Hank Williams' records, you may find it hard to understand the phenomenal success of Garth Brooks.

But even those who aren't country music fans have to admit that Brooks puts on a stunning stage performance, evidenced by the speed at which his shows are sold out. Tickets have been even harder to get since Brooks announced that his tour would be his last while he takes a hiatus from music.

So what does Brooks do on stage that makes him so popular? Part of it is his down-home charm and the show's rock pyrotechnics. But it's also Brooks' sense of humility. He doesn't take advantage of the stage to posture or spout philosophy; he remains open, honest and comfortable in front of thousands of screaming, frenzied fans.

Anticipation ran high at a recent Brooks concert in Lafayette, La. Suddenly, the lights dipped, eliciting screams from the audience. A tape began playing industrial sounds and warning beeps reminiscent of Stanley Kubrick's <i>2001<p> as the lighting system began to unfold from the ceiling.

Smoke billowed across the stage while strobes flashed and the noise of thunder blasted from the sound system. The sound of stomping feet competed in volume with the stage noises, then both lost to the yells of 18,000 fans as an elevator carrying the band rose from the floor behind the drum riser.

The musicians ran across the stage and picked up their instruments. The crowd seemed to be registering confusion, for there was no sign of Brooks. The elevator began to descend, exposing the silhouette of Brooks' black cowboy that perched rakishly forward on his head. The crowd went nuts.

The band kicked into "Rodeo," with Brooks running up to the front of the stage. The crowd was stomping, screaming and singing along, at times overpowering the vocals from the stage.

"Whad d'ya say we screw the talk and raise a little hell?" Brooks asked the audience after the song, jumping into "We Bury the hatchet." Two bars into the song, a loud booming click was heard, followed by silence. Technicians and stage hands began running around, checking equipment and connections while Brooks tried to communicate with the audience.

Just after a stage hand had ripped up a box for Brooks to write a note to the audience, the sound system came on, causing the audience to break out in another paroxysm of cheers. The band picked up and finished the song.

"I wished I had an explanation, but I don't," apologized Brooks. "So let's just move on like it didn't happen."

Brooks introduced "Two of a Kind Workin' on a Full House" as a song that meant a lot more to him since the birth of his daughter. Enough of the audience knew the lyrics to the song to again compete with the stage volume, giving the sound a full chorus effect.

Each time the band started a song, the women in the audience would begin screaming. The screams would die down, then another audience favorite would begin. The women would look at each other, put their hands to their face, and begin screaming again. It was almost like watching old footage of a Beatles concert.

"A lot of people wanna know where it all began for me," he said. "They say, Garth . . . that's what they call me back home, Garth." Every time that Brooks paused, the audience would erupt in cheers. He told them about his beginnings, playing guitar four nights a week in Stillwater, Okla. The crowd laughed when he prefaced his two solo acoustic songs with an unabashed, "My guitar playing -- it sucks." He then belied his self-criticism with beautifully performed versions of "Unanswered Prayers" and "Night Riders in the Dark."

USL sophomore Ginger Miller summed up the crowd's attitude: "I'm here because I like his music. It's about real life."

The band came back on stage for a tight rendition of "The River," the lighting turned to an eerie green with ripples of white.

The lighting was fantastic throughout the show. Colors interplayed and mixed, beams shot through sheets of solid color and hundreds of white lights accented high points in the show. The choreography of the band was nothing compared to the way the lighting director played the audience.

"This is our first attempt at a gospel song," said Brooks of "We Shall Be Free" from the new album <i>The Chase<p>. That song led into "The Thunder Rolls," a song that drove the crowd to renewed bouts of screaming. The strobes, smoke and thunder effects highlighted the stark but moving piece.

The crowd renewed its applause when Brooks began to sing the additional verse he had added to the song during his television special last year.

After a touching reading of "If Tomorrow Never Comes," Brooks stopped the show to read a card he had been handed from the audience.

"Jamie?" he asked into the crowd, holding up a guitar-shaped card cut from a box. "Did you make this for me? Wait right here for a minute. I'll be right back."

He ran backstage, re-emerging moments later with a six-string acoustic guitar in one hand and a marker in the other. He signed the guitar body and handed it to the little girl in the crowd, eliciting even more response from the already-hyped audience.

The band ran through three more songs, ending the set with "Friends in Low Places" and "The Dance."

"We had some problems, we botched some songs, but music or not, we had a hell of a good time tonight. Thanks!" With that, Brooks made a circle of the stage, waving to the fans, and left.

The band returned to the stage a couple of minutes later for the encore. A rollicking electric guitar led the way into a tasty cover of the Georgia Satellites' "Keep Your Hands to Yourself."

Brooks was whirling around the stage as he sang, at one point leaping onto one of the utility ladders and climbing up to shake hands with the audience on the second level. The band rocked to a close, then left the stage as the house lights came up and the fans slowly left the building.

BICYCLISTS, PEDESTRIANS COLLIDE, FIGHTING FOR SPACE

(CPS) -- Bicycles, long the trusty transportation choice of college students, are rolling into problems on campuses as officials try to balance the demands of bikers, pedestrians and drivers.

While bicyclists and walkers peacefully co-exist for the most part, some schools are taking measures to crack down on bicyclists who pedal through campuses. Bikers and pedestrians many times are competing for the same space to traverse around school, and collisions and injuries abound.

At the University of Central Florida in Orlando, a sidewalk safety committee has proposed banning bikes and skateboards in a 1,200-foot radius around the main academic area. This has brought a host of complaints from the student body, and a strong reaction from the student newspaper.

Meanwhile, the police department at the University of Texas at Austin is handing out warnings to bicyclists who break traffic laws. Patrols with university police officers on bicycles were added because of student complaints.

About 50 warnings have been issued since November, Capt. Rollin Donelson said, adding that the police department estimates there are 3,000 to 7,000 bikes on campus daily.

There have been at least four accidents involving bikers and pedestrians this fall, with some injuries, Donelson said. Some people were run over, and others had to jump out of the way of bikes, resulting in sprains and scratches. One bicyclist broke an arm.

The police department's bike patrol has "been implemented off and on through the year as we received complaints. We put out the bike patrol in certain areas of the campus that had problems," Donelson said. "We decided to take a pro-active approach."

Under Texas law, bicyclists are subject to the same laws that motorists are, such as speed limits and obeying all traffic signs. That doesn't mean that bikers are vigilant in obeying those laws, Donelson said. And it can get expensive. After the first warning, bikers can be fined from $10 to $50, depending on the violation.

"Students tend to run stop signs all the time. Another violation is riding on sidewalks," he said. "It's a cyclical thing. Students don't want to pay fines, so they back off. Then they start again, and we get complaints, so we send out the patrols. It's a never-ending cycle."

At the university of Central Florida, a sidewalk safety committee of administrators, students and faculty members proposed closing off the main academic area to bicyclists and skaters. UCF is adding more buildings in its academic area, as the committee determined that biking and skating should be banned in a 1,200-foot radius, spokesman Dean McFall said.

"The committee is aware that density is getting high. As a growing institution we are getting more pedestrian traffic between the academic buildings and the outside areas," McFall said. "The committee thought it prudent to ban bicycles, skateboards and rollerblades."

Others on campus thought differently. The Central Florida Future, the campus newspaper, published a picture of the head of university President John Hitt on the body of Adolf Hitler, calling him "Hitt-ler," and wrote an editorial condemning the proposed rule change.

While walkers and bikers haven't collided this fall, there have been injuries involving bikes and autos, McFall said. But there is still an accident waiting to happen between a pedestrian and a bicyclist, he said. "Bikes move a lot faster than people, and they are quiet," he said. UCF's police department has a bike patrol that would be exempt from the proposed rule.

Some schools are promoting bicycling as an alternative transportation to cars, especially in California. Increasing air pollution problems in Sacramento have prompted California State University officials to push for more students to ride bikes.

"We're trying to promote more bicycling because Sacramento has air quality problems," said Kathy Robertson, director of Peak Adventures, an on-campus bicycle shop. "We have occasional accidents, but there is no widespread call for banning bikes."

She said California State University bans bikes from the academic areas of campus because of the high number of walkers.

At the University of California-Davis, bikers out-number pedestrians by a ratio of 4-to-1, said David Takemoto-Weerts, who is the university's bicycle program director. He said UC-Davis has a reputation of being the bicycle capital of the United States because of a comprehensive bike system that was developed first in the city of Davis and extended to the university.

The core area of the campus is closed off to vehicles, and bike paths are placed way from sidewalks. Additionally, bikes are banned form sidewalks, and the university's police department has a bike patrol to enforce bike rules.

"We have had not too many car-bike accidents on campus, but we do have some conflicts with pedestrians and bikes," Takemoto-Weerts said. "There have been some concerns voiced by pedestrians."

Officials at the University of Wisconsin at Madison are establishing areas on campus where students can skateboard.

They want to limit skateboarding because of concerns about injuries both to the skateboarders and pedestrians, a campus spokeswoman said. No such action is planned to limit bicycle riding.