ATHLETIC FACILITY SET FOR MAY GROUND-BREAKING

With $25 million in hand, the University of Houston will begin construction in May on the much-ballyhooed alumni/athletic facility.

The complex, to be located on the corner of Cullen and Elgin boulevards, will contain a 200-seat auditorium on the first level, Hall of Fame, state-of-the-art weight room, locker room and various training and meeting rooms.

The second floor will house the athletic offices and an academic support area for student-athletes.

Also included is a 100-yard indoor practice field that will let the football team practice in climate-controlled comfort, thanks to an independent physical plant from off campus.

The field will be covered with AstroTurf, or "magic turf" as the Board of Regents Facilities Planning and Building Committee has called it, that can roll back to reveal a urethane sports surface suitable for high-jump, long- jump, pole vault, tennis, basketball and volleyball events and will include a 200-meter track.

At the south end of the building, the alumni center will contain meeting rooms, a library and a Hall of Honor that will provide direct access to the athletic facility.

Adjacent to the complex, 12 new tennis courts will feature a grandstand for 250 spectators and lighting for night play. The existing courts will be torn down.

The baseball field will become a 2,500-seat capacity stadium containing dressing rooms, an enlarged field and an enclosed press box.

The price tag for this venture on June 24 was $23.2 million. That figure has since climbed to $25.5 million because of escalating management fees and equipment costs, according to the revised budget.

UH plans to demolish the Jeppesen Field House next to Robertson Stadium and the Fouke Building, the current home for some athletics offices. According to the budget, the university will save $310,475 in operating costs per year and $350,000 in renovation costs by moving those buildings' functions into the new complex.

The demolition cost is currently slated at approximately $165,000.

*******************************************************

CURING THE ADD/DROP BLUES

by Tom Anderson

With the first day of classes comes the bi-annual ritual of 15,000 students braving long lines and filled classes at Add/Drop -- but perhaps relief is in sight, as a new telephone registration system may be in place as early as spring 1994.

For now, however, the unwelcome ordeal of Add/Drop can be completed quickly -- if students follow a few simple guidelines.

Students should not arrive earlier than their scheduled times, said Mario Lucchesi, director of Registration and Academic Records. "If everyone comes at the scheduled time, it will only take a few minutes."

Arriving before the scheduled time does not speed up the Add/Drop process, but may actually cause students an additional delay because they will have to wait until their scheduled time. Students can, however, arrive any time after their scheduled times, provided they arrive on the same day.

Students should bring their degree plans with them, also, said Mary Gould, director of the Office of Student Services at the college of Business Administration. "Sometimes it helps students to see their options rather than getting locked in on finding one class."

Have alternate courses selected in case the desired class becomes unavailable, Lucchesi said. "Many courses are full, and students need to anticipate them and plan some alternatives."

Students should also check the "All Sections Closed" list, posted at the north UC entrance, he said. The list will tell which classes and which sections are closed, and the list will be updated every night.

"I suggest that students get advising before they come to Add/Drop," Gould said. "If you need to be advised, that adds a lot of time to your wait. Also, being advised helps you look at all your options."

Students shouldn't leave Add/Drop without turning in their approval forms. "Many students think that they got the approval at the table, but they need to turn in their approval form when they check out," Lucchesi said.

Finally, Lucchesi reminds students to enter the UC through the north entrance behind the building.

"We won't be able to accommodate students who enter through the front of the building," he said.

One step in that direction is getting registration and Add/Drop by telephone on line.

"Right now, the bid is in Austin," Lucchesi said. "We have to buy everything that way (on the bid system)."

"We have set a date for the system to be ready for spring 1994 Priority Add/Drop, but the clock is ticking," he said. "The longer it takes for us to get a bid, the longer it takes for the system to become operational."

Telephone registration will allow students to know immediately if they got the classes they requested, Lucchesi said. "The system will probably say 'Good morning. Welcome to UH on-line registration. Would you like to register, add a class or drop a class?' " Lucchesi said. Students will push the button on their phone that corresponds to the option they choose.

"It will basically turn the touch-tone telephone into a computer terminal," he said.

"We will be able to move onto the system for registration if it proves successful for Add/Drop," Lucchesi said.

UH SEEKS TUITION HIKE

Chancellors and university presidents across Texas will recommend tuition at colleges and universities be raised by as much as $4 to alleviate the strain caused by the higher education funding crisis.

Tuition has increased two-fold from $12 per hour in 1985 to the present fee of $24. UH System Chancellor Alexander Schilt said the Council of Public University Presidents and Chancellors has agreed "that we recommend to the Legislature that student tuition represent one-fourth of the actual cost of the education."

The tuition rate increase schedule indicates the fees will increase each school year.

"The rate is scheduled to increase by $2 per semester credit hour until the rate reaches $32 per hour by fall 1996," said Mack Adams, assistant commissioner for student services for the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board. "No additional increases are scheduled at this time. It is agreed, however, that the Legislature may change the current schedule whenever it might agree to do so."

Some state officials, such as Adams, are aware of the possibility that tuition rates can be further increased.

"There was some talk that one of the subcommittees in Austin might accelerate the tuition increases," said Ernie Dewinne, assistant vice president for business affairs at UT-San Antonio.

Like UH, UT-SA has taken steps toward effective streamlining. The UH community will undertake the arduous task of reshaping, while UT-SA has gone to four-and-a-half-day campus weeks to reduce utility costs.

District 147 State Representative Garnet Coleman, whose constituency includes the UH and Texas Southern University communities, said he will try to see that the students' best interests are considered if an additional increase is proposed to the Legislature.

However, Coleman, like Schilt, said students may have to further scrape the lining of their pockets if they are to receive a quality education in the future.

Two statistics commonly quoted by Coleman, Schilt and UH President James Pickering are tuition rates, approximately 15 percent of higher education costs for students in Texas, and the fact that tuition rates in Texas rank the second lowest in the United States.

In addition to the Council of Public University Presidents and Chancellors' recommended tuition hike to 25 percent of per capita education costs, the group's 1993 Legislative Agenda suggests provisions should be made for increased financial aid set-asides.

Schilt said tuition increases "have been phased in a very gentle fashion" and cited recent student approval of a student library fee as an example of how students react when informed of the circumstances.

Students in Texas are not the only ones faced with tuition-hike woes. During the 1992-93 school year, University of California students will pay an additional $605 in fees, representing a 20 percent increase.

BASKETBALL COURT RENOVATIONS SIDELINED FOR NOW

Students living on campus whose wish list includes having the dilapidated outdoor basketball courts repaired had better make a new list.

The $25.5 million that UH will be spending to construct the alumni/athletic complex does not provide for the refurbishment of student outdoor recreational facilities.

But there is a light at the end of the administrative tunnel.

Associate Vice-Chancellor for Facilities, Planning and Construction Jim Berry said the new athletic complex will be open to all students, not just student-athletes.

The 100-yard artificial turf indoor practice field, a marquee feature of the facility, rolls back to reveal a urethane sports surface with provisions for basketball, tennis and volleyball and a 200- meter track which students can use, Berry said.

Student tennis enthusiasts who favor sunlight over fluorescence can use the new acrylic-surface tennis courts that will be built adjacent to the complex. Berry said six of the 12 courts will be open for recreation while the other half-dozen are designated for varsity use.

Also in the planning stages is a playing field for intramural sports, to be constructed between the Physical Plant and neighboring fast-food outlets, Berry said. He did not know when it would be built.

Until these new facilities are completed, students will have to go off campus for basketball courts in better condition, use the outside courts in their present shape or use the courts in Garrison Gym when classes aren't taking place.

MLK BIRTHDAY BRINGS RAYS OF HOPE

In the last oration he would deliver, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. said he had seen the promised land.

The next day, as he stood on a balcony with such associates as Ralph Abernathy and Jesse Jackson, assassin James Earl Ray set his scope on his target. Within moments, King collapsed.

While planning the Poor People's March on the nation's capital, he was assignated. His death on April 4, 1968, seemed to signal the end of the civil rights movement, the end of a dream and for some, the end of hope.

His "I Have A Dream" speech seems to have as much a place in the forensic arts canon as President Kennedy's inaugural address and President Lincoln's Gettysburg Address.

In the "I Have A Dream" speech, delivered 100 years after Lincoln signed the Emancipation Proclamation, King likened the United States to a financial institution that failed to meet its obligation to its clients.

"In a sense, we have come to our nation's capital to cash a check. When the architects of our republic wrote the magnificent words of the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence, they were signing a promissory note to which every American was to fall heir," King said of the promise of such rights as life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

"It is obvious today that America has defaulted on this promissory note insofar as her citizens of color are concerned."

Political Science Professor Richard Murray said the assassinations of King and the Kennedys saddened him because they seemed to cause a climate of hostility and disenchantment.

King gained national prominence in 1955 when he led a nonviolent boycott of a bus line in Montgomery, Alamaba. It earned a name and a place in history as the Bus Boycott Movement of 1956. After Rosa Parks refused to sit in the back of a bus in 1955, propelling civil rights proponents to action, King led protests fighting for racial equality and justice in the United States.

At the time, Americans had a lot of hope in the civil rights movement. Their dreams were partially realized when the Voting Rights Act of 1965 gave people of color the right to vote and to participate as "full citizens" in the electoral process.

The Civil Rights Act of 1964, which King was instrumental in getting through Congress, gave blacks equal opportunity in the job market.

King, who received both the Nobel Peace Prize and recognition as Time Magazine's Man of the Year in 1964, spoke of the day when "little black boys and black girls will be able to join little white boys and white girls and walk together as sisters and brothers."

COUGARS STILL ONES TO BEAT IN TIGHT SWC TITLE SCRAMBLE

If the first 12 or so games are any indication, predicting who will end up on top of the Southwest Conference basketball race might be more difficult than you think.

Texas was picked to finish first in the conference at the beginning of the season, but that looks to be in jeopardy with the loss of starting point guard B. J. Tyler. Tyler is out for the season with a broken foot, and the Longhorns haven't figured out how to play without him. The result has been losses to Rice, SMU and Baylor in Austin, and Houston on the road. Texas is off to its worst start (0-4) in the SWC under coach Tom Penders and has a 5-7 record overall.

Then there is Houston, which has finally seemed to settle down after nearly blowing close games against Arkansas State and Stephen F. Austin. The Cougars' only losses have come at the hands of No. 5 North Carolina and No. 15 UCLA on their home courts.

With the quickness of junior college transfer Anthony Goldwire at the point and the dominating play of senior center Charles "Bo" Outlaw inside, Houston, 9-2 (2-0), is chock-full of talented athletes.

Problems could arise if one or more of the remaining starters goes down. The Cougars' bench doesn't stretch far. Senior center Rafael Carrasco and sophomore guard Lloyd Wiles are the primary reserves of the bench. Junior guard Tyrone Evans, who was 7 of 14 from 3-point range and averaged 10 points in three games, was knocked out for the season with a broken foot during the North Carolina game.

Still, Houston has become the team to beat, though three other teams can be added to the list of contenders.

Rice, under rookie coach Willis Wilson, has been on a tear, winning six straight games and jumping out to a 3-0 conference start. Seniors Brent Scott and Marvin Moore return from last year's 20-win season. Both are impressive and have led the Owls to an 8-4 record. Victories over Texas and Texas A&M on the road have marked Rice's win streak. The Owls are now perched atop the conference ladder.

Baylor, 10-2 (2-0), has been injected with a new look under first-year head coach Darrel Johnson. Johnson has brought the Bears his winning tradition that helped him win two NAIA championships at Oklahoma City University.

Baylor senior center Alex Holcombe has undoubtedly been the SWC surprise of the season. After averaging just 5.8 points per game in his first three seasons, Holcombe has led the conference in scoring with a 21.2 average and is fourth in rebounding average with 9.9 a contest.

Southern Methodist, 9-4 (2-0), also has a new look. Fifth-year head coach John Shumate has transformed the Mustangs into the Runnin' Mustangs with his up-tempo style of offense.

Don't count out Texas Tech, 8-4 (0-1), who dropped a 61-59 decision to SMU in Lubbock last Saturday. They have already surpassed the halfway mark in victories of last year's 15-14 squad.

Texas A&M and TCU are performing as many predicted they would, and the road doesn't get any easier.

The Aggies, 5-8 (0-2), travel to Las Vegas to play UNLV tonight, while the Horned Frogs at 2-9 (0-2) go into SWC play trying to salvage what has become a season of disappointment.

LADY COUGARS LOOK TO SURPRISE SWC FOES

The Lady Cougars are breathing a little easier after putting their first Southwest Conference victory under their trunks with a win over the Lady Aggies on Saturday.

They hope to sharpen their claws Wednesday when they travel to Bear Country to play Baylor in Waco.

With the aid of veteran leaders Margo Graham, Andi Jackson and Michelle Harris, the Lady Cougars have a 7-7 (1-1) record.

The two teams' last meeting resulted in a Houston Cougars victory, 65-56.

Baylor has also posted a 1-1 SWC record and wants to improve on their less-than-impressive, seventh-place finish from last year.

Head coach Pam Bowers welcomes five newcomers this season. Kim Jetter, Mary Lowry, Kristen Posey, Amber Seaton and Kelli Donaldson round out the new faces on the Baylor team.

Coach Bowers has great hope for her young team and is looking forward to the chance to see the team gel. Her main objective is to concentrate on rebounds.

The Lady Bears lost Lanita Luckey, their All-SWC player, as well as Mitzi Williams and will rely on returning players Amanda McNiel, Kristen Mayberry and Kristin Mann.

Besides the close 60-58 win over the Aggies, the Lady Cougars had a few other nice surprises. Andi Jackson teamed up with Margo Graham to score the last 16 of 17 points to win the game.

Jackson, a senior, caught the attention of the Lady Aggies, shooting 7 of 16 from the field and posting 16 points in the game.

The 6-0 forward has recorded season highs in three categories, including points (20), rebounds (6) and steals (5).

She also leads the team in free-throw percentage.

The Lady Cougars had to overcome the early Aggie lead, which was as much as 11 in the first half. The Coogs battled back to within two by halftime and trailed 30-28.

The Lady Cougars' first SWC outing was not as successful. The top-ranked Lady Raiders of Texas Tech thrashed the Cougars 93-41.

The Red Raiders led Houston by 44 points at halftime and continued to shut them out in the second half.

One contributing factor in their loss against Tech was the absence of Margo Graham and Stephanie Edwards, who were out because of disciplinary reasons.

The Lady Cougars will return home on Jan. 27 for a crucial game against the Texas Longhorns, who are leading the SWC.

With the return of Graham and Edwards, Houston may be able to surprise conference opponents -- beginning with Baylor.

MADONNA ROPED INTO DOMANATRIX ROLE

by Gram Gemoets

Madonna can now add a new incarnation to her already long list of evolutions -- that of Mae West. After frequent comparisons to everyone from Jean Harlow to Jayne Mansfield, Madonna has perfected her deft comedic style, using sex as the staple for satire -- much as the brash Miss West.

While <i>Body of Evidence <p>is a suspense/thriller closely mimicking <i>Basic Instinct,<p> Madonna can't help but allow her biting sexual wit to shine through. While such lines as, "they are trying to take something beautiful and make it dirty" come off as deadpan, others like "I once dated a man who dated a woman who dated you" leave the audience in hysterics.

Madonna even bids a wholesome "goodbye" to an associate, all the while giving Willem DaFoe a little manual stimulation in a crowded elevator.

<i>Body of Evidence<p> is steamy. The sex scenes are far more graphic and creative than <i>Instinct<p>. It was even widely rumored that the cast and crew of the film called it "Booty is Evident." And is it ever. There really should be an Academy Award category for booty.

Although cliched, the plot is gripping. Madonna plays dominatrix Rebecca Carlson, an art gallery owner with a passion for kinky old goats with bad tickers.

Carlson also has a knack for picking weak-willed men -- one climax and they include Carlson in their wills. However, after one sick lover dies in bed, Rebecca's body is considered a lethal weapon.

Enter DaFoe as the grinning attorney who takes Rebecca's case. DaFoe and Miss M don't wait long before they bed down (and they don't get much sleep at that). The plot twists and turns as DaFoe attempts to get Madonna off the hook so she can collect on the will.

The role affords Madonna a pleasing range of emotions. From "Woman of the 1890s," persecuted for her sexual perversion, to "Woman of the 1990s", leather clad and lascivious.

With one scene in court, the next in bed, followed by one scene in court, the next in bed -- it is amazing DaFoe can defend Madonna, since he certainly can't seem to defend himself from her advances.

And boy is it violent. They make love on broken glass. They make love in handcuffs. But they never just make love (that wouldn't fit Miss M at all).

Although the "Material Girl in a Bondage World" really can act, she wisely leaves the Perry Mason theatrics to the pros. In fact, large portions of the film find her sedately seated and dressed in black, her heaving bosoms working on that Oscar.

Many thrillers leave the viewer confused as to who did it. Not <i>Evidence<p>. It ties up all the loose ends, (along with various male players).

You'll be satisfied by the climax -- so much so that you may want to smoke a cigarette when it's over.

ROAD KINGS ROCK WITH '50S FEEL

by Dina Griswold

Hot damn, it's a Rockabilly band!

The Road Kings slid into Houston in 1991 from College Station to claim the title as the band most likely to produce enough 50's nostalgia to reincarnate The King (Elvis, that is).

Adding to the 50's flavor is the visual appearance of the band, including slicked-back hair, bowling shirts, vintage shoes, hot-rod tattoos and a retroactive attitude.

The Road Kings, Jesse Dayton on Gretsch guitar and vocals, Eric Tucker on drums and Jason Burns on stand-up "doghouse" bass, make music that is distinctly Texas Rockabilly. This is in opposition to the "bad-boy English style" of the Stray Cats, said the Kings' manager John Huff.

The Road Kings are releasing a CD in February of 12 original tracks to include "Wham! Bam! Alacazam!," "Nocturnal Lounge" and "Wildside of Love."

Currently, the band will be on hand for the next two Thursdays at the Satellite Lounge and the last Thursday in January at Scruffy Murphy's. Local charm will play host to the band on Feb. 13.

MALLE INFLICTS HEAVY DAMAGE; MOVIE REDUCED TO SKIN FLICK

by Deborah Hensel

Toward the end of <i>Damage<p>, Dr. Stephen Fleming philosophizes: "We give in to love because it gives us some sense of what is unknowable."

Certainly this sounds poetic, but what is <i>knowable<p> from the onset of this tragic story is that Stephen and Anna are destined to be caught in an illicit affair, with inevitable consequences and irrevocable damage.

<i>Damage<p>, directed by Louis Malle, is based on Josephine Hart's best-selling novel about a man obsessed with his son's fiancee.

Fleming, played by Jeremy Irons, is a solid, respectable member of the British Parliament who enters into an inexplicable and disastrous affair with Anna, played by Juliette Binoche.

The screenplay, adapted by David Hare, remains essentially true to Hart's novel -- with one glaring exception. All of the psychological insight into Fleming -- provided in first person in the novel -- is missing.

Based on steamy eye contact and limited conversation between Stephen and Anna, the viewer is expected to accept that these two would risk everything -- family, career, self-respect -- for a few stolen minutes of clandestine sex.

More incredible is the fact that they are so self-consumed as to believe they can continue undetected after Anna's marriage to Martyn, played by Rupert Graves.

True, their trysts are inventive: rutting in the doorway of a church in Paris, hanging from the curtain rods in a London flat, and a kitchen counter sex scene reminiscent of <i>Fatal Attraction<p> and <i>The Postman Always Rings Twice<p>.

Rarely do these two make it to a bed. As they rip at each other's clothing and knock around on tabletops, one might think the film takes its title from the damage done to Anna's apartment and wardrobe.

Malle has taken the core of a haunting and tragic novel and degraded it into a slick, superficial skin flick.

Most offensive is the scene in which Anna climaxes while Stephen is banging her head against the bedroom floor.

If this is love, <i>American Gladiators<p> must be <i>The Dating Game<p>.

NEW CLASS TEACHES STUDENTS HOW TO PREDICT THE WEATHER

For the first time at UH, students can enroll in a one-hour course in weather information that offers non-science majors a chance to play weather forecaster.

"With Texas' thunderstorms, hurricanes and tornadoes, the course gives undergraduates the opportunity to see how the weather develops and when it's coming," said Jim Lawrence, the developer of the Weather Information course.

The geoscience department recently updated their system with new computer technology that brings in the same national weather photos seen on television. The lab computer is connected with an aerial kit on S & R I's roof that transmits a picture from a weather satellite.

Interested students wanting to get one hour of credit in science can register for the course this week during Add/Drop.

For more information, call the geoscience department at 743-3399 or enroll in class in room 315 in S & R I at 11:30 a.m. today or Thursday.

RAIN MARS PROJECTS

Michica N. Guillory

The pungent smell of burning tar along with the dangerous sound of stripped roofing sliding down makeshift chutes will still dominate areas of campus this semester.

Several deferred, or backlogged, maintenance projects that include approximately $659,000 in current roofing projects are months away from completion.

The Wortham Theatre Complex, along with the adjoining Communications Building, S&R 1 and M.D. Anderson Library are the more active projects on campus.

"Time is not an issue with deferred maintenance projects; they just aren't covered in the routine operations budget," said Don Green, assistant director of Architecture, Engineering and Construction Services in the Physical Plant.

"We are required to complete at least 15 percent of the list each year," he said.

AEC services has been allocated $2 million for the completion of long-standing maintenance projects, the majority of which are old and new roofing projects.

But money is not the only obstacle that brought the roofing projects to a standstill.

Work was reportedly halted because of rain and subsequent damage, also.

"Roofing drains were not adequately being sealed," Green said. "Cut-offs were also not being properly sealed."

The point at which new sections of roofing meet -- called a cutoff -- must be continuous and sealed to prevent water leakage.

This caused some water damage to the floor tiles in a news editing lab in the Communications Building and leaks in the Wortham Theatre Complex.

Jean Richardson, secretary for the School of Communication, prevented computer damage by covering them with sheets of heavy plastic when she noticed water leaking through the roof.

Damage was confined to a small portion of floor tiles which were replaced Monday at the expense of the company. The entire floor had to be replaced because the tiles could not be matched.

Raul Gonzalez, a job superintendent for Alamo Construction Co., said replacement of the tiles cost over $600. They are also paying two UH lab workers to move all the furniture which was displaced by the tile work.

"We have also redone the cutoffs and roofing drains over the rooms with water damage to ensure it won't happen again," he said.

S&R 1 has also had some problems due to rain.

"About three months ago, water leaked onto the seventh floor because of a sudden rainstorm," said Mick Owens from the Center for Superconductivity. "(Atlas Universal Roofing) reimbursed us for the damage to the esoteric lab and the research computers."

The Wortham Theatre Complex has also endured its share of leaks but has suffered no severe water damage.

The library should be finished in two weeks, according to Branson/Elder Roofing Co.; S&R 1 should be completed by the end of February and the Wortham-Communications complex should be done in 40 to 70 days, the contractors said.

EX LAW PROF EYES SENATE

by Heather Wolk

Former UH visiting Professor and UH law school graduate Jose Angel Gutierrez announced his candidacy for the U.S. Senate at a press conference Friday in Dallas.

Gutierrez, frustrated with the Democratic Party, in 1970 formed La Raza Unida Party, a third party he compared to Ross Perot's independent campaign.

"The legacy of our and my Raza Unida Party is a two-party Texas, is a Texas on the road to social justice for all, not 'just us,' and is a Texas . . . fearless in its pursuit of first-class citizenship," Gutierrez said.

Gutierrez believes two Republican senators will "doom Texas from all benefit and attention."

"Texas not only needs me at this time but also needs a Democrat in the U.S. Senate."

In addition to his political career, Gutierrez has been president of the Greater Dallas Foundation, administrative law judge for the city of Dallas, adjunct professor of political science at the University of Texas at Arlington and was a visiting professor at UH in the mid-1970s.

Gutierrez graduated from the UH Law School in 1988 and is currently a practicing attorney in Dallas.

HISTORY DEPARTMENT WANTS A NEW HOME IN SOCIAL SCIENCES

by Kristine Fahrenholz

The History Department, currently listed under the College of Humanities, Fine Arts and Communication, may soon become part of the College of Social Sciences.

Because of a 23-7 faculty vote, the history department will be considered for transfer to the College of Social Sciences, said James Pipkin, dean of the College of Humanities, Fine Arts and Communication.

Minor changes would affect students. History majors currently need six hours of fine arts credits, but if history becomes part of social sciences, fine arts requirements would no longer be needed. Students currently seeking a degree in history would not be affected.

The majority of historians in the department consider history more of a social sciences discipline than a humanities discipline. The history faculty believe research techniques are more aligned with the techniques used by those in the College of Social Sciences. History faculty would also be more likely to work in conjunction with other departments in the college.

Although faculty salaries are higher in the College of Social Sciences, the proposed move is intellectually and philosophically oriented, Pipkin said. If the move is approved, history instructors would bring their salaries with them.

The earliest decision on the switch could be fall 1993, said Lawrence Curry, associate dean of the College of Humanities, Fine Arts and Communication.

It is unlikely that the College of Social Sciences faculty will sacrifice money just so the history faculty can catch up with them, said Curry, who said he is opposed to the switch.

Historians examine the past; they don't set out to predict, Curry said. Economists, political scientists, sociologists and psychologists draw conclusions when examining empirical data about the future. Historians don't do that, he said.

According to Michael Akalov, History Department chairman at Texas Southern University, history is more of a humanities discipline. "Generally, all over the United States, philosophy and history are considered humanities disciplines," Akalov said.

Approximately six years ago, the History Department tried unsuccessfully to change to the College of Social Sciences.

The faculty at the College of Social Sciences has not discussed the History Department's proposed integration. The history department was not included in the College of Social Sciences' reshaping plan, said Joe Carbonari, associate dean of the College of Social Sciences.

Resources and the budget would be secondary considerations in the matter of the change, he said.

If the change is approved by the two deans, the president and the Undergraduate Council, student costs would not increase.