DUEL PUTS PALL OVER CLINTON INAUGURAL

Deborah Hensel

When baby-boomer Bill Clinton takes the oath of office today as the 42nd president, U.S bombs will continue to drop on Baghdad.

Foreign policy -- not the economy -- will become Clinton's first priority when today's inaugural celebration ends.

As the first Democrat at the helm in 12 years, Clinton, 46, represents a new generation.

Thousands of college students across the nation are expected to be in the nation's capital to witness the transfer of power and to volunteer for the inaugural events.

"There are so many people coming to Washington," said Jamie Harmon, president of College Democrats. "There are students -- herds of students -- coming here."

"This is a Mardi Gras for political nerds. We're expecting 300,000 people," Harmon said.

"The idea is to get in a solid day of work and a solid night of partying."

At a televised gala Tuesday night, the rock group Fleetwood Mac reunited after 13 years to sing

"Don't Stop Thinking About Tomorrow" -- the theme song of Clinton's campaign at the Democratic National Convention last year.

Barbara Streisand, Elton John, Aretha Franklin, Chuck Berry and Judy Collins were also scheduled to appear.

The $35 million party, which kicked off Sunday with Clinton and Vice President Al Gore ringing the Liberty Bell, may be dampened by the intensified U.S. military attack on Iraq.

"It seems to overshadow the (inaugural) events, and that's disappointing," said Andrew Monzon, president of the UH chapter of the College Democrats. "But the country can't stop to make the transition."

Monzon, a senior history major, said he thinks the Iraqi situation will change Clinton's focus from domestic issues to foreign policy.

Monzon predicts the new commander-in-chief will allude to the Iraqi situation in his inaugural address.

Clinton issued a warning and a promise to Saddam Hussein from his alma mater, Georgetown University, Monday, stating that

"America's resolve during this transition period will not waver."

To signal that resolve, Clinton also retained the expertise of Edward Djerejian, George Bush's assistant secretary of Near Eastern and South Eastern Affairs, on his own foreign policy team.

Djerejian's responsibility will continue to be U.S policy for Iraq.

While the partying in

Washington and the bombing in Iraq continue, UH Democrats will be keeping up with the events on television, according to Monzon, who added he doesn't know of any UH students who were able to make the trip to Washington, so he has been trying to organize a group of students to watch the inauguration on campus.

"Several of us got invitations, but the timing was bad," Monzon said. "I couldn't go because of school, and because I couldn't afford it."

*******************************************************

CLINTON SOLICITS UH'S ADVICE

by Heather Wolk

Clinton staffers sought UH's president for his opinion in a discussion with nine top university leaders about a new student loan plan.

UH President James Pickering met with Clinton's education advisors to discuss the National Service Trust Fund Jan. 8 in Washington.

"I was in the company of the best universities in the country. We are a nationally prominent university, and people like what we're doing," Pickering said.

University presidents from Notre Dame, Georgetown, the University of Miami, New York University, Indiana University, University of Tulsa, Trinity College, Morehouse College and the State University of New York at Albany discussed the NSTF and how it will allow students to pay back college loans in the form of community service.

"I believe this is one of Clinton's top five initiatives and he plans to implement it in the first 100 days of his term," Pickering said.

"My feeling is that it's a good idea, so let's get it going," he said.

Pickering said the question of eligibility criteria for the national program remains unanswered, but it is possible it will be determined by personal income.

"The president-elect did stress that everyone should be eligible," Pickering said. "Perhaps someone with an income that is way up there won't be able to borrow as much money as someone with a low income, but no one should be denied the experience."

Pickering said he left with the impression that Clinton had named someone to head the project who is "not necessarily from the education department."

In addition to selecting someone to chair the program, many other details about the program's scope and size have yet to be worked out, he said.

While a turnout of about 30 people was expected, 60 to 75 guests came, Pickering said, and added he was "delighted" to be chosen to participate in the discussion.

CLINTON PLANS TO INCREASE EDUCATION OPPORTUNITIES

by Heather Wolk

Although details of Bill Clinton's National Service Trust Fund are vague so far, supporters are hoping the new administration's plan will provide a more affordable option for higher education while improving public service.

Under Clinton's plan, students will have the opportunity to pay back college loans in the form of community service.

Targeted to broaden financial aid opportunities, the NSTF will allow those less fortunate to have greater access to a college education.

If implemented, Clinton's plan will allow students to pay back a percentage of their loans through community service. However, many educators are skeptical of Clinton's proposal. "Basically, we're all standing in the dark," said Law Professor Michael Olivas, who's also trustee of the College Board at UH.

There are already provisions for community service in some present loan programs, he said. And instead of helping, Clinton's plan might "punish" the poor by sentencing them to public service work.

"This will penalize those who have no other options," he added.

Olivas is also concerned the NSTF will decrease financial aid options, not supplement them.

"The down-side outweighs the gains in this case," Olivas said.

Joe Wagner of the Clinton/Gore Transition Office in Washington, D.C., said we can expect the fund to be implemented sometime this year.

Clinton is not the first president to have such plans for America's education system. John F. Kennedy created the Peace Corps with similar hopes, and Harry Truman created the G.I. Bill.

"Those, however, required service first, then payment. This allows the money to come first," said Walter Landry, spokesman for the Clinton/Gore Transitional Office.

In addition to alternative plans for higher education, Clinton hopes to implement the Youth Opportunity Corps which will team up teenagers with adults who can help them develop self-discipline and self-confidence, as well as basic job skills.

By developing a national apprenticeship program, the non-college bound student will have an opportunity to get basic skills training with employment upon graduation, Landry said.

Also, the investment in worker retraining programs will require employers to spend 1.5 percent of the payroll for continuing education for all workers, not just executives, he added.

Like the NSTF, these programs will help create equal opportunity for education and a more qualified job market for the future, Landry said.

DAY CARE CENTER ACCREDITED

by David Sikes

The UH Child Care Center is among the first in the country to be accredited by the National Academy of Early Childhood Programs (NAECP), said Marcie Devine, director of the center.

Accreditation is a lengthy process which takes about six months and involves evaluations by the faculty, staff and parents of the children, plus a full-day inspection by an NAECP member, Devine said.

The National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC) inspects its accredited facilities every three years and requires an annual report from each center, she said.

The UH center has been operating since 1975 without accreditation because it couldn't afford the $500 fee. However, a grant from Conoco has made it possible for the center to seek accreditation, Devine said.

The 2,000-square-foot facility plus playground provides care for 185 children from age 3 months to five years. Education is the priority of the center with 10 classrooms and a library. Of the 53 staff members, 10 are professional teachers, 35 are UH child development and education students and the rest are administration, office and kitchen help, she said.

Seventy percent of the children come from UH students, and the rest come from faculty and staff. More than half of the children are under 2 years old, and 80 of the youngsters are between 3 and 5 years old, Devine said.

Ninety-three percent of UH's students are commuters with an average age of 27, and this makes the center more necessary than at other universities, she said.

Children staying at the center full time, 7 a.m. to 6 p.m., are fed two meals and an afternoon snack. Parents pay up to $85 a week for full-time care and $55 for part time. The fee for infants is slightly higher, Devine said.

Personnel read to the children once or twice a day and are introduced to cultural diversity. They learn about other countries, cultures and languages on a daily basis and at the annual international fair, she said.

Devine said center operates at a cost of $703,000 per year. Most of the money comes from those using the center. The rest comes from student service fees and UH's scholarship fee. Parents are allowed to work off some of the charges for child care by working at the center.

UH TRIES TO INJECT MULTICULTURAL CONTENT INTO CORE

by Kristine Fahrenholz

As UH's student body becomes more diverse, the university has been struggling to introduce multiculturalism into its core courses.

"The whole emphasis is trying to realize that there are other cultures that need to be recognized," said Charlene Nix, executive secretary for Academic Affairs.

Currently, used textbooks also need to be more culturally diverse, she said, and the Undergraduate Council recommended that faculty provide core courses with multicultural content.

Diversity awareness at UH is the main reason for multiculturalism to be encouraged in all core classes offered, Nix said.

Allen Warner, associate dean for Academic Affairs in the College of Education, said there are 93 different languages spoken in Houston, according to the latest Houston Independent School District poll.

The Undergraduate Council recommended that footnotes be used in the class schedule, designating certain courses as having multicultural content. The responsibility for assigning the footnote would fall on the academic unit offering the course.

"I would like to learn more about other cultures, especially the Asian culture," said Vipul Darji, a sophomore in business.

Erika D'Egidio, a graduate student in psychology, said "It probably wouldn't matter to me in my decision to take a class or not, if it was noted in the class schedule as a multicultural class."

In the fall of 1991, Caucasians constituted 65 percent of the student body. The remaining 33 percent consists of international, African-American, American Indian, Asian and Hispanic students.

Out of 33,607 students enrolled at UH for fall 1991, 2,155 were African-Americans and 2,749 were Hispanics.

BEARS DECLAWED

The Baylor Bears came into Hofheinz Pavilion last night hoping to go 3-0 in the Southwest Conference.

Well, there's always next season.

With a strong inside game and a double-digit scoring surge by forward Derrick Smith, Houston took a bite out of Baylor's offense in front of 8,374 Cougar fans with an 83-77 victory, despite the Bears connecting on 11-of-31 three-pointers.

"They've got a very good team," said Houston coach Pat Foster. "If we didn't do the right thing, they capitalized on it. That's the mark of a good team."

Baylor entered the match-up leading the league in three-point percentage with 41.6, making 112 of 269 shots from long range -- nearly 100 more attempts than Houston -- and it was their shooting outside the arc that kept the game close.

The Cougars knew the Bears, under first-year coach Darrel Johnson, were not afraid to shoot the three, and Baylor didn't disappoint them. Forward Willie Sublett and guards Nelson Haggerty and Aundre Branch had two treys apiece for Baylor in the first half -- six of 15 for 40 percent.

It looked like Houston would turn the game into a rout, taking a 7-2 lead on three turnovers by Baylor, but a three-pointer by Haggerty gave the Bears their second and last lead of the game at 12-9.

Houston commenced on a 10-0 run, highlighted by consecutive slams by Smith and center Charles Outlaw to take a 19-12 lead.

The Cougars then went on a 7-0 run and took an eight-point lead at 28-17 before Baylor decided to get back in the game as center Alex Holcombe and forward Anthony Lewis combined for three consecutive blocks, leading the Bears on their own 7-0 run.

Baylor switched from a 2-3 zone to man-to-man defense with 6:38 left in the half that produced three quick Houston turnovers. Haggerty made two consecutive three-pointers to put the game at 36-32.

But point guard Anthony Goldwire answered, sinking two threes of his own, and Houston went into halftime leading 41-32.

"We got some easy opportunities to score," said Goldwire, who finished with 12 points and five assists and played all 40 minutes. "When they missed (their three-pointers), we got the fast break."

Said Smith: "We were ready for (their three-point shooting). We tried to keep them from getting a good look at the goal and getting a good shot."

Holcombe, the leading scorer in the conference, had the Cougars' number all night, scoring 11 of his 17 points in the second half on 8-of-15 shooting and finishing with 16 rebounds and six blocked shots.

But Houston's version of Holcombe -- Outlaw -- matched that effort and more with 21 points, 15 rebounds, four blocks and threw in two assists for good measure.

Guard David Diaz found the open lane all night and poured in 18 points for the Cougars while grabbing six rebounds and dishing out four assists.

Houston looked to be cruising when they took their biggest lead of 13 points with 6:40 left in the game -- the score was 71-58. But Baylor closed to within seven on a 6-0 spurt, started by an amazing over-the-shoulder pass from forward David Hamilton to Holcombe in the lane for a slam. Baylor, though, would come no closer.

"They crash the boards and get down the floor so quickly. They're playing well together," said Johnson of the Cougars' play. "There's no question in my mind they're the one to beat in the league."

COOGS TURN OFF BEARS' SHOWER

Three-pointers the size of hail-stones fell like rain last night in Hofheinz Pavilion.

One might think it strange to experience a meteorological event indoors, but spectators of the Houston Cougars' victory over the Baylor Bears witnessed just that.

Thirty-three of Baylor's 77 points came from three-point range. Center Alex Holcombe, sophomore guard Nelson Haggerty and sophomore forward David Hamilton combined to create high numbers.

"Baylor had a good offensive scheme," said Houston head coach Pat Foster. "They are definitely big shooters. If we had gone to double-team them, it would have left someone open."

Entering the match-up, the Baylor Bears led the SWC in three-point percentage, posting 41.6 percent. Right behind them, the Cougars were breathing down the Bears' necks, shooting at 39.3 percent.

The Cougars played man-to-man defense with Baylor in an effort to shut down one aspect of the Bears' game. Excluding three-point baskets, Houston held Baylor to 44 points in the paint or at the line.

Houston's three-point guns did not lay silent, though. Junior guard Anthony Goldwire, sophomore guard Lloyd Wiles and senior forward Derrick Smith combined to pour four three-pointers into the Cougars' bucket.

Goldwire went 2-for-3 from three-point land to score six points adding to his 12-point total for the night.

Guard David Diaz, who scored a total of 18 points, explained why he, too, attempted four long-range shots.

"Whenever I shot it, I did it because I felt that I had the shot," Diaz said. "Coach gives us freedom to take shots if we think we can make them. We played our quickness against their three- pointers."

Diaz pointed out that while Baylor's outside game was strong, especially in the first half, the Cougars held them in the second half and played better.

Senior center Charles "Bo" Outlaw, who posted 21 points, confessed being a bit surprised at Baylor's three-point abilities.

"We were not as prepared for them on offense, but we were prepared to play strong defense," Outlaw said.

Sophomore Jessie Drain, who had eight points and four rebounds against the Bears, wasn't taken aback by Baylor's mid-court aerial assault.

"We put them under pressure and didn't allow them to penetrate the inside," Drain said.

GUARDIAN ANGEL WAITS IN WINGS

by Jason Ramirez

It's all happening a little too fast for Angel Sanz.

After running the tiny street courts of Madrid, Spain, just three weeks ago, Sanz suddenly finds himself in the wake of a basketball season with a Houston Cougar team seriously contending for another Southwest Conference title.

Although he knows he may not get much playing time, Sanz admits just being on the same bench with the Cougars is a dream in itself.

"I love it," Sanz said. "I think this team is very good from what I've seen so far. This is a dream come true for me. "

Sanz, a freshman guard, also says the level of competition and talent in the United States is far more different and advanced than it is in Spain.

"Here, the players devote their whole lives to the game of basketball," he said. "In Spain, people mainly play for just fun and recreation,"

If and when it gets to that point, Sanz accepts the challenge of devoting his life to the game as well.

For his first trip to the United States, Sanz arrived in Houston on Jan. 3. He said he was invited to play for the Cougars after responding to information given to him by a friend he knows from Spain who currently lives in Alvin.

"Since my friend is signed to play with the Cougars for next year, he told me what I needed to do to make the team," he said.

In order to make the team, Sanz had to submit quite a few videotapes showing his basketball playing ability before a decision was made.

"Fortunately, they liked me," he said.

As far as where the 19-year-old will fit into basketball coach Pat Foster's plans, a decision on that has not yet been reached.

"It is really hard to tell," Foster said. "He has not been here long enough for me to evaluate how good he really is."

However, since Sanz is 6-4 and 184 pounds, Foster thinks he has a legitimate shot at being an effective shooting guard for many years to come.

"He's a good-size shooter and an excellent passer," Foster says. "As far as physical abilities go, I think he has a chance to be a major college player in the future. And I would think that he would definitely fit into our plans."

Sanz knows he has many years left with the Cougars and is willing to wait his turn on the bench. This will allow him time to mature mentally and physically.

In his first game with the Cougars, Sanz scored four points against Wyoming as he hit 2-for-2 from the field. Since then he has seen limited mop-up duty playing in the Cougars' first two conference games against Texas and Texas A&M.

"I'm only a freshman, so I know I will have plenty of time in the future to play for this team," he said. "But I will continue to be ready coming off the bench whenever I am needed."

Sanz began playing basketball when he was 14 after a strange incident occurred.

"Before basketball, I used to play a lot of soccer," he said. "I can remember I came home one time with mud covered all over my body. My mother was outraged, and both she and my father encouraged me to then take up basketball after that."

How right his parents were. Now, Sanz gives his parents all the credit for his success and regards them as his main influence.

"They are the best," he added.

But now Sanz is turning his attention to coach Foster and his teammates, hoping they will be just as influential as Mom and Dad.

"Coach Foster and my teammates have really made me feel welcome here," Sanz said. "Coach Foster tells me to just play hard every day and give 100 percent. If I do that, everything else will just fall into place."

As for his teammates, they have welcomed Sanz in a similar manner.

"David Diaz and Rafael Carrasco both took me out to dinner when I first got here," Sanz said.

Based on what he has seen so far, Sanz really feels that the Cougars can expect to do exceptionally well this year and possibly win the SWC and advance well into the higher rounds of the NCAA Tournament in March.

"This is a very good team," Sanz said. "But what I have really seen in the competition so far is the level of talent and quickness that is different from that of Spain.

"In Spain, teams are not as quick and talented as they are in the states. Therefore, because teams in the United States are so well-conditioned, and in a sense, well-balanced, they are going to be capable of beating anyone else on any given day."

And if all goes well, Angel Sanz just might be able to do the same someday.

STUDENT STARTS MAGAZINE

by David Sikes

December marked the debut of Houston Theatre Monthly, a new magazine for promoting local playhouses.

The magazine has a staff of 15, including writers, editors, artists and advertising sales people, including several UH students, and was founded by UH senior Nicholas Vastakis.

Vastakis printed 100 copies of the first issue of the high gloss publication, featuring stories about 50 Houston theaters and reviews of nearby restaurants.

Twenty-five-year-old Vastakis, a creative writing major minoring in drama, is passionate about acting and enthusiastic about his new project. He hopes to make drama more accessible by covering many of the lesser-known productions performed in the smaller playhouses of Houston.

"I would like to dispel the myth that the theater is only for the stuffy upper class," Vastakis said. "I cover everything from children's theater to dinner theater."

The idea for the magazine came to Vastakis after hearing that a production of <i>One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest<p> had closed without any media coverage. After investigating, Vastakis realized that area theaters with small budgets were being overlooked by most Houstonians.

The December issue features a theater guide listing the times and dates of performances by 27 theaters. This comprehensive schedule is printed as a free service to promote the theaters.

Vastakis will distribute 750 copies of the publication at UH and many local theaters this month. A subscription drive begins with the Feb. 1 issue. Vastakis plans on saturating the city with 2,000 copies in hopes that people will pay $10 for six issues of the monthly.

Vastakis started the desk-top publication with $200 of borrowed money and approximately $200 from ad revenues.

Kwik Copy is printing the magazine until a printer can be found willing to work cheap and get in on the ground floor of a growing business.

"Eventually, I hope the money I make from the magazine supports me, but for now, I'd be happy if the cost weren't coming out of my pocket," Vastakis said.

The magazine will have approximately 15 to 20 pages of stories, previews, reviews, photos, classifieds and ads.

Vastakis said readers should not expect any biting critiques of plays. He wants to inform readers of what's out there and not discourage anyone from the theater scene.

GRANT BOOSTS AFRICAN AMERICAN STUDIES

by Charlotte Pennye

At a time when many African-American studies programs across the nation are experiencing budget cuts and financial woes, UH's program recently received a helping hand from a major source.

UH has set a precedent by being one of the few universities to have received two National Endowment for the Humanities challenge grants.

The NEH challenge grant was awarded to UH for the creation of chairs in African history, African-American literature and African-American political science, and for the establishment of graduate fellowships in these fields.

The grant will provide $532,000 in federal money and the university is required to match this amount by a 4 to 1 ratio with outside fund-raising activities to yield a total of $2.6 million said James W. Pipkin, interim dean of the College of Humanities, Fine Arts and Communication.

"A major grant like this will allow the university to attract outstanding faculty and graduate students," Pipkin said.

UH has decided to take the initiative and raise an additional $2.4 million for the creation of a chair and fellowship in African-American political science for an endowment totaling an estimated $5 million.

In the early 1980s, there were approximately 600 universities with African-American studies programs, but today, the number has dwindled to about 400. Several of these programs are struggling for their academic futures.

The NEH challenge grant is a definate advancement for UH and the AASP, said Linda Reed, director of the AASP at UH and associate professor of history.

"There are currently 34 endowed professorships at the university, mostly law and engineering. African-American professorships will now be among the most prestigious on campus," said Steven Mintz, associate professor of history and a member of the committee that drafted the grant proposal.

Along with the chairs to be created by the NEH grant, other plans on the agenda include the establishment of the UH Institute for African-American Policy Research and the UH Center for the Study of African-American culture.

The research center will be a place where faculty and advanced graduate students can participate in a hands-on center for full-filtered study, Pipkin said.

The College of Humanities, Fine Arts and Communication received an NEH challenge grant in 1983 that created a $3 million endowment for the establishment of two faculty chairs, one in history and business and the other in history and law.