FEE GIVES LIBRARY NEW LIFE

After one semester, the new $15 Library Fee has already made an impact on M.D. Anderson Library's budget.

The fee, which has currently raised $1.1 million, along with $700,000 put up by the administration, helped the library exceed 100 percent of its budget of $7.7 million.

Of 107 members of the Association of Research Libraries, M.D. Anderson Library is projected as being ranked 85th this year -- up from 106th last year -- because of improvements made with the money.

"Because of the recession, other states have been cutting, but we are experiencing an increase," UH Library Committee Chair Don Easterling said.

The fee, created last spring and implemented last fall, helped bring Journals On Disk, a system that stores journal information on CDs, and more new books to the library this spring.

It also helped the library keep all journal subscriptions from last year, currently 14,862, though no new journals can be added until the administration knows that enough money will be available from the state.

In addition, the number of CD-ROM indexing computers will triple this semester, replacing the old on-line computers, Easterling said.

To the benefit of students, though, is the option to rescind the fee after three years.

UH Libraries are also receiving money from John and Rebecca Moores' $1 million endowment. Though the endowment itself cannot be touched, the interest it collects is available for purchases.

Among the improvements planned for the library is the replacement of the lobby carpet. An increase in staff will also be made due to the increase in books.

The committee is considering various technical improvements as well.

"Muscle-bound" fax machines, called CARL UnCover2, to retrieve unavailable journals from other universities, is one idea in motion, Easterling said. These high-speed, high capacity fax machines would allow the fast transfer of entire journal entries.

However, the improvements already made to the library have had one drawback, Easterling said.

"We are running out of room. We have already lost 1,000 spaces (to sit in) over the past eight years."

To remedy this problem, the committee is planning to build a new five-floor wing to the library. The Board of Regents has approved a plan to raise money for the project.

The new wing, which would be built strictly with outside donations, will be constructed on the south side of the library, facing Lynn Eusan Park.

"It will take about $20 million to build the new wing," Easterling said.

As well as increasing the number of study spaces, the new wing will house all of the CD ROM computers and other machines. It will also provide classroom facilities for teaching students how to use the computers.

*******************************************************

FREEZE FREES FUNDS IN EXPECTATION OF BUDGET CUTS

by Meagan McGovern

UH has instituted a partial hiring freeze that will immediately free about $3.5 million a year in salaries as part of an effort to save money in the face of possible budget cuts to higher education.

When administrators looked at jobs within the school that had been vacant for over one year, they found 96 positions open with total salaries of over $3.5 million.

No one will be hired to fill these jobs, said Andrew Szilagyi, associate vice president for planning.

Although no cuts to higher education were called for in the first budget proposed to the state Senate last week, future bills are not expected to be as generous, prompting the school to save money wherever it can.

As of Jan. 1, there were over 200 vacant spots in administrative areas, which had combined salaries of "slightly more than $6 million," said Szilagyi. Almost 100 positions had been vacant for more than a year.

Szilagyi stressed that all of the positions were in administrative areas. "Some of the jobs were office assistants, clerks, secretaries, analysts and word processor operators," he said. Some of the departments affected were the Physical Plant and the Office of Administration and Finance. "These are not academic support positions," Szilagyi said.

The reasoning behind the partial freeze is that if the department has gone without the position for a year, the job may very well be unnecessary, he said. All of the vacant positions will be examined during the reshaping process.

The money from the salaries, currently being used by each department for "survival money," according to Szilagyi, will go back into the overall budget. "$3.5 million makes up for a possible 2 percent budget cut," he said. "It allows us some flexibility."

Any current non-faculty position vacant for less than one year must have written justification by a university vice-president prior to being filled, according to a letter from UH President James Pickering.

PARKING POLICY UNDER FIRE FROM SA

The Students' Association finished off the fall semester debating the ever-present parking problem.

SA senators sent a bill to the Student Life committee asking Parking and Transportation to reduce the number of parking permits sold.

Originally, the bill, written and introduced by SA Speaker Pro-Tem Gregory Propes, requested that the parking department sell no more permits than there are spaces.

After the bill was reviewed by the committee, it was revised to request that the department sell 50 percent more permits than available spots in 1993-94, then decrease to 25 percent in 1994-95, and finally settle at 10 percent over in 1995-96.

Although Parking and Transportation office manager Thelma Cannon would not say how many permits are being sold, College of Business Administration Senator Coy Wheeler said, "Parking and Transportation is presently selling 300 percent more permits than there are spaces."

"The bill met opposition on the floor. It was sent back for amendment because there needs to be more research," Propes said. "Something has to be done. Students can't find parking during peak hours. They are just not getting a return on their investment," he said.

The Students' Association has passed one resolution per year, pointing out the lack of spaces and asking for changes to be made by the university.

Out of five students asked, all agreed with psychology junior Jodi White, who said, "Parking is a problem that affects all students. I have to get to school an hour before my classes start just to get a spot."

Oppositional senators fear parking price hikes.

"If Parking and Transportation loses revenue by selling fewer permits, they may raise the prices for inlying and outlying lots," Wheeler said.

"I won't sign this if it means raising prices. I don't know what Propes has up his sleeve, but he's a smart boy. There may be something in between lowering permits and raising prices," he said.

TSU GROUP USING PETITION TO HELP REINSTATE BAND

by Julie Johnson

Former Ocean of Soul band members, TSU alumni and community leaders are circulating a petition to reinstate TSU's Ocean of Soul marching band.

TSU Director of Public Affairs Charles J. Smith III said, "I am not mindful or aware that any university official has seen any petition." He added that "We live in a free society, and each individual has the right to petition."

The petition's goal is 50,000 signatures. It will be presented to TSU President William Harris and the administration. If not accepted, the organizers of the petition will take it all the way to the governor, said TSU alumnus Charles Law.

"We're very adamant and vigilant about this issue," Law said. He worked to kick off the circulation of the petition at the Good Hope Baptist Church with other supporters Saturday.

The petition also calls for the reinstatement of the original band director, Benjamin Butler. Butler created the Ocean of Soul in 1969 and is credited for its success.

"Institutions can survive, but you do not take a whole man's life and contribution away," Law said, in reference to Butler's dismissal. Law said the institution is not doing its part in preserving the institution.

The Ocean of Soul was disbanded after returning from a trip to Japan, where they allegedly stole more than $22,000 worth of electronic items.

Harris ordered the disbanding of the Ocean of Soul and its associated groups. Twelve students were suspended and 17 more were put on probation.

The thefts were reported after band members went on a shopping trip to Akihabara, an area near Tokyo. No charges were filed because the merchants were unable to make positive identification.

Upon investigation, it was also revealed that 29 non-students traveled with the band to Tokyo. The number of non-students involved in the alleged theft has not been disclosed.

Law said he feels there are elements of racism involved in the disbandment. "The threat from the institution is frightening because we cannot see the racism because it is black against black," Law said.

"The Ocean of Soul was an agent to the university and represents the black community," Law said. The disbandment was "heartless and inconsiderate" on the part of the TSU president and the administration, he said.

Law explained that TSU had no legislative funding when the institution began and that it was the black community that gave it support. By dissolving the band, "the black community feels disenfranchised," he said.

He believes the elements of TSU have been disregarded by the president and that it was not necessary to dissolve the entire band. "Those who are guilty should be punished by the university, but only those who committed any crime," he said.

GROUP SEEKS VOLUNTEERS

The Student Conservation Association is offering approximately 1,100 expense-paid volunteer positions nationwide throughout 1993 in conservation, resource management and environmental education. Currently, SCA is accepting applications for positions offered for the summer/fall season.

Participants contribute their time toward the protection and management of natural resources within national parks and forests.

Participants receive transportation, a stipend and free housing. Application deadlines are March 1 for summer positions and June 1 for fall. For more information, call (603) 543-1700 or (603) 543-1828 (FAX).

MUSICIANS SOUGHT

Auditions will be held for the 1993 summer season of the Boston University Tanglewood Institute and the Boston University School for the Arts on Saturday, Jan. 30, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Denney Theater, High School for the Performing and Visual Arts, 4001 Stanford.

The Institute offers two-, four-, six- and eight-week programs for pianists, instrumentalists, vocalists and composers at Tanglewood, the summer home of the Boston Symphony Orchestra. The School for the Arts offers a full range of flexible programs for musicians on both graduate and undergraduate levels.

Contact the Boston University School for the Arts' music office at (800) 643-4796 for more information.

FACULTY SENATE HEAD URGES INTERACTIVE TEACHING

by Kristine Fahrenholz

Some say students focus too much on grades and not enough on acquiring knowledge. The Faculty Senate intends to do something about it, pursuing the issue of student priorities as part of the reshaping plan.

The Faculty Senate at UH concentrates on issues affecting students such as; the smoking ban, the budget, bookstore pricing and evening student services.

They pursue these issues as far as the state legislature.

George Reiter, professor of physics, became the new president of the senate Wednesday afternoon during the first meeting of the semester.

He plans to discuss putting more focus on educating students in an interactive setting, rather than isolating the students during the learning process.

He sees students learning how to work with one another as well as with the faculty. This sort of cooperative education, according to Reiter, would be better than the present system of education.

Students study primarily for the exams, not for the knowledge, said Judy Myers, chair of the budget committee. She added that research studies show most students are bottom-line oriented.

Reiter said people basically live in isolation from one another. "Human beings want their lives to make a difference and to contribute something to the world around them. They want to see that difference and be acknowledged for it," he said.

Long discussions about the present education system among faculty members would be needed in an effort to transform it, Reiter said.

"We, the faculty, need to be honest and clear of our own despairs in the classrooms," he said.

Researchers at the University of California-Berkley took half of the failing students in a first-year calculus class and encouraged them to form study groups. The students had a tutor who encouraged them to teach each other. At the end of the year, their average was above that of the rest of the class.

"If that kind of thing can be done for those students then it can be done for any students," Reiter said.

"If we are to succeed, then those ways of interacting with each other -- that way of running this institution -- would give us a model that would transform America's education system," Reiter said.

"The potential for changing the way we teach and really dramatically transforming the effect of our teaching is there," he said. "We don't have to continue doing it the same way."

According to Myers, the issue of interactive learning is not new, but is of great interest to faculty members.

The faculty should not just focus on what it teaches and what departments should go where, but the basic principles of teaching should also be considered, she said.

LADY COOGS SEARCH FOR LOST WINNING WAYS

Dubbed the "mystery team" of the Southwest Conference in preseason, the Lady Cougars are still searching for clues to find last season's winning ways.

Tied for sixth place in the SWC with the struggling Southern Methodist Lady Mustangs at 1-2, the Lady Cougars head off to Dallas to inflict some big damage on the Mustangs Saturday. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m.

"SMU has a lot of quickness, especially on the perimeter," said head coach Jessie Kenlaw. "We will stick with our strengths and what we do best. We will try to get the ball inside to Margo Graham, then run with it whenever we can."

The Lady Mustangs are coming off their first SWC win, a victory over last-place TCU.

Last season, the Cougars fell to the Lady Mustangs on the road 66-69 but evened the score at home 75-66.

The Cougars are seeking a way to strengthen their game, especially in the first half. Throughout the season, the Cougars have struggled with their intensity.

"The team has developed a pattern of not playing well in the first half and digging themselves into a hole," Kenlaw said. "We play better in the second half, but we can't play that way on the road."

The team is also dealing with a way to change fan expectations.

"People don't understand why we don't run like last year's team," Kenlaw said. "With the exception of last season's returning players, we have a different team. Some of these people have never played Division 1 conference ball before. Hopefully, they will start to adjust."

Coach Kenlaw said the winds of change are blowing in the Cougars' direction.

"We have to work at our level of intensity in the early part of the game," she said. "We need to improve our consistency and play one game at a time."

In Wednesday's game against Baylor, low concentration levels were partly to blame for the Cougars' 78-54 loss. The Lady Bears outscored Houston 41-17 in the first half.

The Cougars proved coach Kenlaw's point of concern with the higher level of play in the second half. Houston came out strong and evenly matched the Lady Bears, with both teams scoring 37 points in the second half.

Stephanie Edwards led the Cougars, scoring 12 points and grabbing seven rebounds. Michelle Harris, who had the flu, also scored 12 points and had four rebounds.

Another player that shows promise is junior guard Tanya Davis. She had eight points and three boards in the game.

"Tanya Davis was a much- needed surprise," Kenlaw said. "She had a good game; it is good to see people come through."

GOOD WORK LB PEZMAN

The College Football Association named Houston Cougars' senior linebacker Chris Pezman to the inaugural "Good Works," team.

Pezman is involved in many humanitarian efforts, including the Toys for Tots program. Pezman assisted the Fourth Ward Community Cleanup campaign, helping to clean trash from vacant lots.

He has also helped in the KUHT-TV pledge drive, Shoes for the Homeless and Food for World Hunger Project.

Additionally, Pezman is involved with the John Jenkins Second Effort program, in which, football players visit children in school and hospitals in the Houston. The program encourages children to stay in school and avoid drugs.

Pezman, the special teams' standout, has received a bachelors' degree in economics and will earn a finance degree this summer.

The "Good Works" team is designed to recognize football players who devote time and efforts to working in the community.

Pezman and Texas Christian's senior safety Tony Rand represent the Southwest Conference on the team. Eleven players were named to the team.

NO HOPE FOR LAMBERT AND LANE; KNIGHT MOVES A LOSING GAME

by Sally Pouncy

Naked nymphs are needlessly nixed by a nefarious night crawler in the new movie, <i>Knight Moves<p>.

This has to be the worst Christopher Lambert movie to hit the screen since <i>Highlander II<p>.

Lambert's tastes are beginning to run into the sleazy. He seems to be groping for a blockbuster film, but just can't find the right vehicle to display his tough-guy talents.

If this movie had a decent script and a better director, it might have been a good movie for Lambert, but it has neither.

Lambert should have taken the cue that his acting career depended on a good performance. Considering the quality of this film, a memorial for his career will be held soon.

He plays chessmaster Peter Sanderson, who becomes a pawn in the deadly game of a serial killer. Apparently, the killer has some kind of grudge against Sanderson and has chosen to murder innocent young women as a pay-back.

The first female victim meets her demise 15 minutes into the film, shortly after a late-night tryst with Sanderson.

Town cops Frank Sedman and Andy Wagner (Tom Skerritt and Daniel Baldwin) figure out the chessmaster was making moves on victim number one and question him. Sanderson lies to the cops and refuses to cooperate until a Polaroid message sends him running to the police.

Enter Kathy Sheppard (Diane Lane), a psychologist who learns more about Sanderson and the case than either of the dim-witted detectives. In the end, she solves the mystery and saves an innocent victim's life.

This movie reeks like last year's Easter eggs. Diane Lane gives the worst performance of her career. Her marriage to Lambert is the only reason she appears in this film. Unfortunately, hubby is going to drag her down with this one.

Her character begins as an independent woman, but by the end of the flick, she is screaming for help and needs Lambert to get her out of the big danger scene.

Lambert's performance is a joke. His cliched lines came off flat, and he is not believable as a chess expert. For an actor who did so well in earlier films, it's a shame he has thrown his talent away on this role.

Tom Skerritt hasn't been known for being in very good movies, and Daniel Baldwin, the oldest of the acting Baldwins (Alec, Billy and Stephen), lacks the family's talent genes and should have stayed in the shadows of his brothers' careers.

Don't waste your money or time on this pathetic movie. In fact, don't even waste your money on the video when it comes out. Wait for somebody else to remake it.

COMICAL CASTAWAYS AT MAIN STREET THEATRE

by Karen Snelling

Students looking for magic, comedy, greed and a love story only have to travel as far as the small, wooden stage of Main Street Theater.

Until Feb. 21, MST will present <i>The Tempest<p> by William Shakespeare.

Shakespeare need not be intimidating. The intense scenes in Main Street's production clearly convey the meaning of the 16th-century English language.

Magic abounds as Prospero, Duke of Milan, uses his magical powers to influence the other characters' lives. He gets many opportunities to wreak havoc when a ship carrying the King of Naples and his crew is shipwrecked on Prospero's island.

Dan Flahive, as Prospero, portrays a fatherly figure who means well but must have things his own way. With his own magical powers and a mystical fairy to do his bidding, Prospero can get away with it.

Ariel, played by Rachel Sokolow Ollagnon, gives an exciting performance as a mischievous fairy who loves to do Prospero's dirty work. Constantly flirting, skipping and dancing, she uses her flirtatious manners to tease other characters as well as the audience.

While viewers are being tantalized by Ariel, they are also being disgusted by the vile and grotesque Caliban.

Portrayed by Maurice Tuttle, Caliban is Prospero's green, scaly, slave creature, who snorts and slobbers while openly cursing his master. He obviously hates Prospero, but all he can do is complain and drool because he has no power over Prospero's magic.

Caliban thinks he finally has a chance to revolt against Prospero when he encounters the King of Naples' drunken butler and jester.

These comical buffoons, played by Rodney Walsworth and Freeman Williams, meet Caliban after straying from the wrecked ship, and they introduce the creature to a "good, stiff drink."

After accepting several more "good, stiff drinks," Caliban convinces his new acquaintances to destroy the magical Prospero.

The plot takes a serious turn as it focuses on the King of Naples' brother, Sebastian, and Prospero's brother, Antonio. These two, played by Thomas Baird and Joel Sandel, are shipwrecked along with the king. The island's atmosphere entices their greed.

What a wonderful place for Sebastian to murder the king, inherit his position and make Antonio his right-hand man.

Antonio defines evil as he convinces Sebastian that this is the perfect road to power. Too bad he's unaware of his brother Prospero's magic. Meddling brothers can really be a pain.

Finally, love is in the air when the king's son, Ferdinand (Larrell Womack, meets Prospero's daughter, Miranda (Triela Manzardo), who knows Ferdinand is Mr. Right. Not wanting to waste time, she proposes to him.

But of course, Prospero must dip his magical fingers into the lovers' plans. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that Ferdinand is only the third man Miranda has ever seen.

Shakespeare weaves all these unique plots into one united ending, which is done well at MST and worth seeing.

Tickets are $10 on Wednesdays, $12 on Sundays, $15 on Thursdays and Fridays and $18 on Saturdays. Students get $2.50 off all prices. To reserve tickets, call 524-6706.

WANTED: UH'S BEST PROFESSOR

Nominations are being accepted for the highest honor awarded to faculty members at UH. The Esther Farfel Award, given by the president annually, carries an award of $5,000.

The university is accepting nominations for the award from deans, chairpersons, administrators, faculty, students, staff, and alumni.

Nominations are open to all tenured faculty who have held continuous appointment at UH for at least five years.

Nominees must have demonstrated excellence in all areas of faculty responsibility: research or creative activity, teaching, and service to the university, the profession, and the community.

The recipient is selected by the recommendation of a committee composed of UH faculty and chaired by the Associate Vice President for Faculty Affairs.

The initial nomination consists of a letter of nomination of not more than two pages, along with a complete and current <i>curriculum vitae.<p>

After an initial screening, the committee may request additional materials, including six reference letters, documentation of teaching quality, letters from former students, and letters identifying distinctive service to the university and the community at large.

The initial nominations are due in the Office of the Associate Vice President for Faculty Affairs (Mail Code:SVP/2162) no later than 5 p.m. Monday, Feb. 15. For more details, call 743-9103.

STUDENT TUTORS WANTED

Students are usually on the receiving end of the student-teacher equation, but a new UH program offers students a chance to do the teaching.

The Metropolitan Volunteer Program's Literacy Corps gives students the opportunity to tutor functionally illiterate campus employees in basic reading skills.

Volunteer tutors must attend one five-hour training session either Saturday, Jan. 23, or Saturday, Jan. 30, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Once trained, tutors meet with a designated adult learner twice a week for 90-minute sessions.

According to Adrienne Darhower, the program's literacy coordinator, volunteers provide illiterate adults with skills that will make UH's working environment safer and more productive.

She also said students enhance the employees' self images and abilities to move on to new levels of work and personal responsibility.

Anyone interested in becoming a tutor can call the Metropolitan Volunteer Program Literacy Corps at 743-5200.

EXCUSE ME, CAN YOU SPARE A JOB?

by Deborah Hensel

A college degree was once considered the hot ticket to a career in the real world.

But, Houston's 7.8 percent unemployment rate for December is a cold splash of reality to UH graduates treading water in the available labor pool.

Between summer 1991 and spring 1992, the UH Career Planning and Placement Center received 46,761 requests for service from students and alumni.

More than half of those requests were from students seeking jobs. Another 30 percent were for individual and group counseling.

During that time, the center hosted 416 employers -- 15 percent fewer than 1990-1991 -- who conducted nearly 7,000 interviews -- a drop of 17 percent from the previous year.

A 5 percent increase in service requests countered by a decrease in interview opportunities prompted the CPPC to experiment with a lottery system last semester.

David Small, assistant vice president for student services, said the limited lottery has improved equity in obtaining interviews.

The new system has also eliminated the long lines of job seekers that used to form before CPPC opened its doors each day.

Small said the trend in the marketplace is toward more technical positions, making job placement tougher for liberal arts majors.

"There may be some growth in the service sectors in the coming year -- accounting, consulting and transportation," Small said.

Small had several suggestions for juniors and seniors who want to get a head start on their job search:

*Identify summer jobs or internships that are related to your field of interest.

*Become involved in professional organizations. Companies look for the leadership skills these organizations provide.

*Remember that employers still use GPA's to limit the field of

job contenders.

*Cultivate the art of networking. The majority of jobs are found through informal methods rather than in newspaper employment listings.

*Start early -- don't wait until the end of your senior year to start looking.

*Use the services available at CPPC: career counseling, resume assistance, seminars, workshops, library, student employment JOBank, and on-campus recruitment.

Timothy Heck, who graduated in May with a degree in management, said he didn't think he used CPPC properly.

"I guess I didn't pursue it enough," Heck said. "I only got two interviews."

On his own, Heck found a job selling health club memberships. It was financially rewarding, he said, so he stayed on, even though he never expected to be in sales.

Ute Wittorf, a May graduate, returned for a second degree in computer science when her first major, English education, didn't get her where she wanted to go.

What she really wanted was a job at NASA, since she had earned a co-op award there. Last February, her supervisor at NASA assured her there would be a job for her upon graduation.

In June, NASA had a hiring freeze and Wittorf was forced to start another job search.

Using the database available at CPPC, Wittorf sent out 35 resumes and landed four interviews.

One of those was with Valmet Automation, a company that has a large SCADA computer system.

That interview resulted in a job offer for Wittorf, where she has written three technical manuals since she started in September.

It's not NASA, but Wittorf said she is content for now because she enjoys writing. The compensation package doesn't hurt, either.

While the national average starting salary for computer science graduates is $31,000, Wittorf will surpass that figure after six months at Valmet.

Wittorf said the CPPC lottery system is a big improvement over the long lines, which were "a mess."

"It was a tough year to get a job," she said.