UH PROFS HIT THE STREET

Two UH professors brought their academic experience to the streets Monday when they joined protesters rallying to keep Allen Parkway Village and the Fourth Ward from being demolished.

Many activists, including UH assistant sociology Professor Jan Lin and sociology Professor William Simon, gathered outside the Houston Federal Court Building to fight for the rights of the homeless and to keep Allen Parkway Village from being shut down by the Houston Housing Authority.

"Housing should be a right, not a privilege," shouted Ray Hill, a prison reformer and gay rights activist.

"Martin Luther King set us free for a reason. We will overcome you (HATCH)," said Mary Pruitt, a resident of the complex. HATCH stands for the Housing Authority of the City of Houston.

The rally took place at the same courthouse where charges against Lenwood Johnson were being reviewed.

Johnson, president of the APV Residents' Council, was charged with breaking a gag order placed on him during mediations between HATCH and APV. The charges were eventually dropped.

Allen Parkway Village, a 1,000-unit public housing complex built in 1944, began experiencing tenant relocation and lack of maintenance funds when HATCH spent part of a $10 million rehabilitation fund set aside by the Carter administration on consultation for the complex.

The result was a recommendation for demolition. The remaining allocated funds still sit, waiting to be used.

Presently, 29 homes exist among 9,951 abandoned, condemned units.

"This is one of the more traumatic events in Houston's public housing history. There are approximately 6,000 people on a waiting list that are eligible for these houses," Simon said.

"The houses sit on land that the developers feel they need. The issue here is profitability," he said.

The late Nia Becnel, who was an assistant professor of architecture, started a project that provided an alternative plan of reserving and rehabilitating the Fourth Ward and APV.

The professor linked the Fourth Ward area with its history of being the first settlement for African-Americans in Houston after slavery was abolished.

"Part of our responsibility as professors is to do our public duty as well as educate students on urban policy," said Lin, a specialist in urban sociology.

"We teach them our own work. I had one independent study student named Margery Gehan who worked with me on drawing up questionnaires on housing conditions. The questionnaire has not gone into effect because it is pending review, but she did get placed in a great internship on Capitol Hill dealing with housing," Lin said.

*******************************************************

RAPE: STUDENT STORY, COLLEGE PROBLEM

by Deborah Hensel

Rape is traumatic enough when it happens <i>once<p> in a woman's lifetime. For Allison, it happened twice in one year, and for a long time, she blamed herself.

"I used to drink a lot, and I used to get into a trouble a lot because I drank," said the senior liberal arts major, who appears self-assured and level-headed.

Allison said she and her sister used to host huge parties at their house in the country. People would chip in for beer, and there would usually be seven or eight kegs.

"Once, I got so drunk, I couldn't walk," she said. A male friend of her sister's walked her upstairs and helped her clean up after she vomited on herself.

Before she knew what was happening, they were both naked in her bed, and he was on top of her.

"I screamed a lot," she said, but with the party going on downstairs, no one heard her.

The next morning, she was hurt and upset, but she blamed herself most of all. A few days later, she saw the man who had taken advantage of her. "You aren't sore at me, are you?" he asked.

A year later, while celebrating her 19th birthday with friends, it happened again. After several shots of tequila, Allison said she went out into the yard to vomit.

"A guy followed me and basically just pushed me over into the bushes. We were outside, away from the house, in the woods."

It was hardly a romantic situation, and she barely knew him.

"He tried to hush me up by saying, 'Your friends are here; my friends are here. Don't make a scene,' " she said.

After the second attack, Allison said she "cleaned up a lot and stopped drinking."

"It cut off my freedom, cut off my trust," she said. "For a long time, I felt that I had been drunk and just slept with these guys, not that they had taken advantage of me."

"Unless you're in complete control of your senses, you're not safe," she said.

What happened to Allison is not uncommon.

Statistics show that one woman in four -- or 4,000 UH women out of the 16,000 enrolled for fall 1992 -- will be raped during their lives. Among college women, 85 percent of assaults are committed by someone the victim knows -- a date, a classmate, a trusted male friend.

Alcohol or drugs are cited by men as a contributing factor in 75 percent of all sexual assault cases, and by women 50 percent of the time, according to Gail Hudson of the UH Counseling and Testing Center.

"If you are drinking, as the victim, it does not make it your fault," Hudson said. "What it does is make you more vulnerable."

On college campuses, Hudson said, a woman is most vulnerable in her first year, between the beginning of the fall semester and Thanksgiving.

During that time, she said, women are trying to fit in, going to parties, making their own decisions about how late to stay out.

"But everyone is vulnerable at some point," she said. "The most typical scenario for a date rape is more likely to be on his turf -- his car, his room -- where she becomes isolated. And those are easy situations to get into on a college campus."

Hudson said there is a misconception about what acquaintance rape is.

A study by the Psychology Department at Auburn University showed that between 3 and 4 percent of women answered "yes" to the question of whether or not they had ever been raped.

When the question was re-worded to read, "Have you ever had sexual intercourse without your consent or against your will?" the number of affirmative answers jumped to 20 percent.

"People think rape is something a stranger does -- pushes you to the ground, produces a weapon and forces you to have sex in an isolated place," Hudson said.

"Aggressive behavior shows itself in lots of ways. When people don't pay attention to what you want, when they force you in a direction you don't want to go, that's aggressive behavior," Hudson said. And verbal intimidation is psychological aggression, she added.

"Women need to understand that any act of intercourse that they don't want is sexual assault," said Susan Leitner-Prihoda of the UH Health Center. "Every act of intercourse needs to be mutually consensual.

"Immediate crisis intervention (after sexual assault) is important, psychologically and physically," she said.

Leitner-Prihoda said the UH Health Center now refers assault victims to Hermann Hospital. There, they are admitted to the emergency room by a social worker and an advocate from the Houston Area Women's Center is called to provide support.

A rape kit to collect evidence is administered by a specially-trained, sexual assault nurse/examiner.

"The second most important thing is that she be treated for potential infections: hepatitis B, AIDS, syphyllis and other cervical infections down the line," Leitner-Prihoda said.

HIV testing for women is recommended immediately and at six and 24 months after the incident, she said.

The Counseling and Testing Center also provides crisis intervention counseling and ongoing individual counseling. Initial sessions are free, funded by student services fees. Additional sessions are arranged on a sliding fee basis, Hudson said.

Additionally, the Houston Area Women's Center staffs a confidential, 24-hour rape crisis hotline at 528-RAPE, logging as many as 300 calls per month.

A press conference today at HAWC is expected to reveal an increase in calls to the hotline over the past year.

NO GRANT MONEY, NO STAFF, NO RELIEF IN SIGHT

by Heather Wolk

While the University of Houston has the greatest demand for financial aid among all seven of Texas' state-supported universities, it has the lowest budget in the state, according to a state auditors survey.

With the highest applicant rate among state-supported universities, which include UH, Texas A&M, UT, UT-San Antonio, UT-Arlington, Southwest Texas and North Texas, UH's financial aid budget in 1990 was the lowest at $30,000.

The budget was $41,000 for UT-Austin, $46,000 for North Texas State and the highest figure was $70,000 for UT-Arlington.

In 1990, each employee at UH's Scholarships and Financial Aid Office handled almost 1,000 applicants requests, according to the survey.

But changes are coming soon, said Robert Sheridan, director of UH's Scholarships and Financial Aid Office.

"We are aware of the problems with the student-employee ration. The president, as well as others, is concerned about the imbalance and is working on that," Sheridan said.

"Federal loans will be increasing in the '93-'94 school years and basically, anyone who wants one will be able to get one.

"Access to financial aid will be greater than ever before. Unfortunately, I wish I could say the same for federal grants," he said.

Sheridan added that he would like to change more to accommodate students and get them the money they need.

"With the ongoing budgetary crisis, our options are limited to how much money the university wants to give our office," he said.

But while UH has no federal dollars to spare, other financial aid remains unclaimed for years, he added.

"Nationally, millions of dollars go unused, but that money is restricted in such a way that the average student would not be eligible," he said.

Sheridan added that there are requirements so extreme, only a small fraction of the student population is eligible. This is because of trust agreements made as far back as the 1920s that cannot be changed.

"The fact that money goes unused every year is true, but that statement is misleading because the money is not available for the typical student," Sheridan said.

"As far as UH goes, I am unaware of such strange and extenuating requirements here. Because we are a relatively new university, our financial aid requirements are fairly straightforward and predominantly merit-based."

According to a report form the American council on Education, students will continue to borrow money to pay for college education in the future.

Federal grants more than doubled from $5.7 billion in 1970-'71 to $13 billion in 1992, and student borrowing had more than tripled over the same period, form $4.3 billion to $14 billion.

SA PLANS FOR SEMESTER

Financial matters lead the list of legislation to be covered by the Students' Association during the spring semester.

SA held its first senate meeting of the semester Monday night. The senators highlighted six major legislative issues that will be most important during the current legislative session.

The main issues are:

-General funding for education:

10 percent cuts may be made across the board for all state agencies. This could mean $18 million cut from UH's budget.

-Performance funding:

The state is implementing a plan that will take 10 percent off the top of university funds until they live up to 16 "alleged" measures for quality of education.

-UH Representation on the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board:

THECB, which makes recommendations on higher education for the state, currently has no UH alumni representation.

-Disparate funding between the Higher Education Assistance Fund and the Permanent University Fund:

Two funds made by Texas for public universities are PUF and HEAF. UH is under HEAF while UT and A&M receive funds from PUF. Students at UH receive about $500 each, while students under PUF receive $1700 per student.

-Student Representation on the Board of Regents:

Texas is one of the few states that does not have student representation.

-Tuition Increases:

Tuition hikes have been requested by the UH administration.

"We have got to get at least 1,000 letters out to the governor and reps," said Kevin Jefferies, director of the legislative agenda.

SA plans to make trips to Austin to meet with representatives over these issues. The first trip is scheduled for Feb. 4-7.

DANCE THEATRE OF HARLEM LEAPS INTO WEEKEND

by Manuel Esparza

Sometimes choices are so even, it takes a coin flip to decide. This weekend's choices are the touring Dance Theatre of Harlem and <i>A Midsummer Night's Dream<p> , performed by the Houston Grand Opera.

The Dance Theatre of Harlem is out for the first time since its major South African tour last fall. This ambitious tour has the troupe performing six different ballets, five of which are new to the DTH.

Their Houston performances will have two different programs. Friday's show consists of Spanish-influenced <i>Ginastera<p>, the neoclassical <i>Dialogues<p> and the Stravinsky-scored <i>Firebird<p>. Saturday's treat is the rhythmic <i>Dougla<p>, the minimalistic <i>Medaea<p> and Gershwin's <i>Concerto in F<p>. Sunday's show is the same as Saturday's but has a different cast.

The Dance Theatre of Harlem is a unique experience in the world's dance scene. The troupe was formed in 1969 in the wake of Martin Luther King Jr.'s assassination. It was founded by Arthur Mitchell, at the time a dancer with the New York City Ballet, to give to his community some of the opportunities he had. Under Mitchell's guidance, the DTH grew out of a church basement and became a dance company in international demand.

The company uses ballet's heavy atmosphere. Both <i>Ginastera<p> and <i>Dialogues<p> are romantic vignettes with plenty of pas de deauxs. The highlight of the tour will come Friday night, when the company performs <i>Firebird<p>. A medley of myths and lore, this modern ballet has become a favorite of DTH fans.

Just down the street at the Wortham Center, Houston's own opera company will perform Shakespeare's <i>A Midsummer Night's Dream<p>.

The Houston Grand Opera is well-known for its lavish stage productions. Though this one doesn't have Ben Stevenson's hand in its making, it should have as much visual impact.

But this is opera, and the emphasis is on sound. John DeMain, HGO's music director, is still holding the reins of the Houston Symphony's formidable talents.

Imported from San Francisco are counter-tenor Brian Aswa (Oberon) and John Alee (Puck). Having finished a successful run in the same roles there last November, they hope to dazzle Houston audiences with the same brilliance.

The rest of the cast are not strangers to the Houston stage. Kelly Anderson (Peter Quince) had an outstanding run as Titurel in <i>Parsifel<p> last winter. Annette Daniels, an alumna from the Houston Opera Studio, has her first HGO role.

The Dance Theatre of Harlem has performances Jan. 29 and Jan. 30 at 8 p.m. and Jan. 31 at 2 p.m. at Jones Hall. <i>A Midsummer's Night's Dream<p> premieres Jan. 29 and has a six-show run until Feb. 12 at the Wortham Center. Tickets are available by calling 227-ARTS.

POISON HAS ANTIDOTE FOR FANS

by Jeff Balke

Poison has never been a band that receives critical acclaim, regardless of its popularity, but its new album, <i>Native Tongue<p>, may have a few critics changing their tune.

After all, Poison changed its tune as well as its lineup on this latest effort. Replacing C.C. Deville with young guitar virtuoso Richie Kotzen was the smartest thing the band has ever done.

Also, much to the credit of the band, the songs have improved. It would have been difficult not to better themselves, however, with albums like <i>Look What the Cat Dragged In<p> under their collective belts.

With all the improvement, there are still a few weaknesses. Brett Michaels still cannot sing. There is nothing worse than an above-average song desecrated by the incessant warbling of a far-below-average singer.

In an attempt to augment the vocals, multitudes of angelic back-up singers were added to cover up the shortcomings of Michaels.

Rhythmically, the band attempts to groove, but has a difficult time escaping the straight-forward bludgeoning of basic heavy metal.

Songs like "Until You Suffer Some (Fire and Ice)" and the first single, "Stand", have a decidedly bluesy feel that is seemingly comfortable for Kotzen, but quite the contrary for drummer Rikki Rocket. The guitar in "Until You Suffer Some (Fire and Ice)" has a Hendrix-like quality that flows over a very stiff rhythm section.

All in all, the record is certainly not bad, but not really that good. On the strong side, the production excels, and the songs are above-average. The guitar- playing is phenomenal and stands head-and-shoulders above the other performances.

On the weak side, however, the vocals are uninspired and boring, and the rhythm section is flat and lackluster. Maybe Kotzen should consider taking the songs and utilizing them in a better band situation. Of course, he wouldn't have the near-guarantee of a multi-platinum selling LP.

Basically, <i>Native Tongue<p> is like cotton candy: It tastes good, but it's full of empty calories.

EX-UH PLAYER REINS IN BRONCOS' TOP JOB

Wade Phillips, the Denver Broncos assistant head coach and defensive coordinator, was named the new head coach over heavily-favored San Francisco 49ers offensive coordinator Mike Shanahan at a news conference in Denver Monday.

Shanahan reportedly turned down Broncos owner Pat Bowlen's offer and signed a three-year contract extension with the 49ers. Bowlen said he and Shanahan "could not get ourselves on the same page, and Wade and I could."

Phillips, 45, the son of former Houston Oilers head coach Bum Phillips, was also on a short list to fill the defensive coordinator post for the Oilers. That spot was vacated when Jim Eddy was fired shortly after the Oilers' first-round playoff loss to the Buffalo Bills.

Shanahan's refusal left the door open for Phillips, who replaces Dan Reeves.

"Everybody was asking me what I was thinking, and this is what I was thinking . . . 'yes!' " Phillips shouted, pumping his fist in the air.

"I'm going to try to be myself," he said. "I'm not Bum Phillips and I'm not Dan Reeves. I'm here because I'm myself."

Phillips began his football career at UH, where he was a starting linebacker from 1966-68. In his career here, the Cougars went 21-7-2 under head coach Bill Yeoman. Phillips became a defensive assistant with the Cougars in 1969.

He coached at Orange High School the next three years before going to Oklahoma State in 1973 and Kansas in 1975.

From there, Phillips moved into the NFL and spent five years working with the Oilers' linebackers and defensive line under his legendary father.

He followed the elder Phillips to the New Orleans Saints in 1981, where he served as defensive coordinator before taking the same job with the Philadelphia Eagles in 1986. Phillips has been with the Broncos the last four seasons.

"I certainly will work to do the best I can," Phillips said, "especially for this football team and these fans."

FIRST LADY TAKES ON ARRAY OF TASKS

She will take the heat from the fashion police for her choice of evening attire.

In the first 100 days of her husband's administration, Hillary Rodham Clinton will also try to escape the flames of severe criticism as she chairs a health care task force.

Rodham Clinton represents a new breed of first ladies: women who assist their husbands with the tasks they have been called on to do, hold careers of their own and serve as caretakers.

She will exert influence by serving as chair of the president's Task Force on National Health Care Reform, which already has begun meeting and is scheduled to release findings by the end of May.

She will play a key role as an advisor on domestic policy matters -- a role not unlike the one she assumed during her husband's tenure as governor of Arkansas.

Health care, considered one of President Clinton's hard-to-sell platform planks, is an issue expected to cause a number of clashes between Congress and the president.

Among his promises has been a commitment to fund the Ryan White Care Act -- an AIDS relief plan -- at $885 million.

Patricia Yongue, an associate professor of English and Women's Studies who teaches courses in women's literature, said Rodham Clinton is a role model to other women who aspire to be successful professionals and mothers.

In a statement made Monday, President Clinton praised his wife, citing her credentials as an advisor and team player.

"As many of you know, while I was Governor of Arkansas, Hillary chaired the Arkansas Education Standards Committee, which created public school accreditation standards that have since become a model for national reform. In 1984-85, Hillary served as my designee on the Southern Regional Task Force on Infant Mortality," Clinton said.

The legislation the task force is expected to draft shall be based on five principles set forth by Clinton: To slow the growth of national health care spending; provide universal access to high quality health care for all Americans; ensure consumer choice; maintain a private, competitive health care system; and cut down the health care bureaucracy.

"She's going to get the kind of resistance that a first lady has never gotten before. I don't think she avoids the issue of the complexity of her situation," Yongue said.

The first lady played an integral part in her husband's campaign, but seemed to take a less-significant role as the campaign progressed -- many, even some in the Democratic Party, viewed her as a liability.

Rodham Clinton will have some work space in the East Wing of the White House, near the office of the social secretary. In the West Wing, which is considered the primary work area of the White House, the first lady will conduct meetings and other official duties in her own office.

Her path has not always been strewn with roses.She drew the ire of homemakers across the nation when she remarked that she didn't choose to stay home and bake cookies.

Yongue asserts the remark has been widely misinterpreted.

"I think that's a cliche term for not just staying at home and doing the work that's soft and, sometimes, unimportant," she said. "I really think it's another manifestation of the fears this society has about changing the roles of women."

In addressing the graduates of Wellesley College's class of 1992, Rodham Clinton recounted the days when she broke rules as a free spirit.

"In those days, and probably still now, swimming in the lake, except at the beach and at certain times, was prohibited. But it was one of my favorite rules to break," she said.

"I stripped down to my swimsuit, put my clothes in a pile on the ground, took off those coke-bottle glasses that you've now seen in a hundred pictures and publications from one end of this country to the next, and waded in off Tupelo Point."

Rodham Clinton found herself swimming in violent currents during the campaign season when her husband had to defend himself against numerous personal attacks and when conflict-of-interest questions arose about her as an attorney.

The balancing act she has maintained since she graduated from Yale University Law School is something she encouraged young women to take on.

"There are many ways of helping children. You can do it through your own personal lives by being dedicated, loving parents. You can do it in medicine or music, social work or education, business or government service. You can do it by making policy or making cookies," she said.

"It is, though, a false choice to tell women -- or men for that manner -- that we must choose between caring for ourselves and our own families or caring for the larger family of humanity," she said.

Yongue said the roles Rodham Clinton assumes set her apart from previous first ladies. The most obvious comparison is to Jacqueline Kennedy. "I think she is more interested in attitudes and policies than Jacqueline Kennedy, who I think enjoyed being the spokesperson for culture for the White House," Yongue said.

Lisa Dreishmire, a second-year law student, said, "I admire her for being an attorney and a mother. It's probably a tough thing to balance."

Some believe Rodham Clinton should not serve in an official advisory capacity.

"I think if she's qualified to act as a consultant, then she should. Not every first lady is always qualified," Dreishmire said.

Rodham Clinton has shared her expertise as a children's rights advocate, serving as chair of the board of directors for the Children's Defense Fund.

In addressing the graduates of her alma mater, she said, "Today, our greatest threat comes not from some external Evil Empire, but from our own internal Indifferent Empire that tolerates splintered families, unparented children, embattled schools and pervasive poverty, racism and violence."

MARSHALL GONE, BUT HIS LEGACY NOT FORGOTTEN

by Jenny Silverman

"Small beginnings paved the way for larger steps, " said Linda Reed, director of UH's African American Studies Program. She spoke in reverential tones about former Supreme Court Justice Thurgood Marshall's death Sunday. He was 84.

Marshall's legal career was marked by a passionate battle for civil rights.

In 1967, Marshall became the first black person appointed to the Supreme Court. But even before his appointment, Marshall chipped away at the walls of segregation and inequality that burdened the country as he won 29 of 33 cases argued for the NAACP.

Among Marshall's most noted cases argued were <i>Smith vs. Allwright<p>, which involved the dismantling of all-white primaries in Texas in 1944.

In 1946, Marshall argued the case of Hermann Sweatt, a black man who wanted to attend the racially-segregated University of Texas Law School. Marshall resolved the case by forcing Texas to fund a separate law school for blacks, Texas Southern University. TSU's law school is formally known as the Thurgood Marshall School of Law.

With this victory, Marshall hammered yet another nail in the coffin of segregation that permeated schools throughout the nation. The 1954 <i>Brown vs. Board of Education<p> victory served as that nail.

Marshall has left a legacy that will never fade from memory. As one famous astronaut once said, "That's one small step for man, one giant step for mankind."

A memorial service will be held at TSU's Thurgood Marshall School of Law at 5:30 p.m. today.