UH RECYCLING EFFORTS GROW

by Charlotte Pennye

The University of Houston has started recycling efforts on campus, so those crumpled research papers and hastily-written, old notes from last semester are now of value.

The Residence Halls Association, the campus' student housing organization, initiated an on-campus recycling program three months ago titled RISE to the Occasion.

"The students take their newspapers, plastic, aluminum, white paper and batteries to containers located on top of the Towers, Quad and Cougar Place for recycling," said Ahmad Kashani, assistant director of the residence halls.

The campus currently recycles newspapers, white paper and office-mix (a mixture of letters and trash from offices on campus), but plans are in the works for an on-campus recycling committee.

"A recycling committee is currently in the planning stages. The tentative goals for the committee are energy conservation, waste minimization and recycling projects. When the committee is finalized, everyone will be needed for its success -- faculty, staff and students," said Stephen Barth of the College of Hotel and Restaurant Management.

If you have any suggestions or requests for the committee, call 743-2415.

*******************************************************

RECYCLED-CARDBOARD HOUSE PROVIDES GLIMPSE INTO FUTURE

by Charlotte Pennye

The 21st century arrived at UH a few years early, thanks to an exhibit hosted by the College of Architecture.

The exhibit is a two-story prototype of an American home/office/garden combination made completely out of recycled cardboard. The home measures 60 feet long, 24-feet wide and 24-feet high.

"When the 21st century arrives, more and more people are going to be working at home, hence the idea of communication zoning was proposed," said UH Architecture Professor Peter Zweig. "This concept will allow people to work, relax and garden at home. This is the 'smart house' of the future."

Zweig collaborated on the initial project with Louisiana Technical University Architecture Professor Robert Fakelmann at LTU's Creative Continuum Week last spring. The house was built in three days by 100 Tech students following weeks of planning and designing.

"There were 70 students involved in the construction of the project here at UH. I was one of the Louisiana Tech students who built the original house, but I made the move to UH because of Professor Zweig," said Jae-Won Lee, a graduate architecture student.

The home has a low production cost, and it is easy to mount and take apart. It has component walls for plugging in computer systems, entertainment systems and kitchen appliances, Zweig said.

In addition to the exterior cardboard framework, recycled cardboard products were used to make the walls, floors and furniture. In addition, wooden broomsticks serve as joints and bolts.

Environmentally friendly, the house relies on solar power to provide energy. Also, a system of louvers, similar to window blinds, regulates air circulation, and skylights add natural illumination.

The exhibit will be on display from Jan. 25 to Feb. 11 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. in the UH College of Architecture's atrium.

For additional information, contact the College of Architecture at 743-2400.

LIBERAL ARTS GRADS FACE TOUGH FUTURE

by Yonca Poyraz Dogan

Students studying liberal arts and the social sciences have to plan their careers carefully because it may take them longer to enter the job market.

"It's a fact that there are fewer requests for liberal arts majors than for engineering, business and computer science majors. Employers would rather hire individuals who are work-ready," said David Small, assistant vice president for student services.

Being work-ready means students do not require much training after graduation and can become productive quickly, he added.

Liberal arts majors can be trained in various occupations, but it is not as easy to track those majors as it is to track those in technical fields and business, Career Counselor Carol Beerstecher said.

Many business and technical majors are well-targeted for particular occupations, and their majors can train them for that kind of work, she said.

Demand is high for engineers, but if students have training in a field like bilingual education, speech therapy and technical writing, they can find a job easily, she said.

However, he is concerned about finding a job after graduation, but he said obtaining an internship through the university will help.

The advantages of liberal arts students are that they gain such skills as communication, problem- solving and the ability to continue learning, Small said.

"Liberal arts students will do just as well in salary and upward mobility as engineering and business students after approximately seven years following graduation," he added.

They also can adapt better to a changing job market, and they are qualified to do a lot of different things, Small said.

"That's why it's difficult to get started. They are initially generalists," he said. "Employers have told me it is easier to take liberal arts students and teach them technical aspects of the job than it is to take technical people and try to teach them how to communicate, how to write a good report, how to solve problems and how to see the big picture."

Liberal arts graduates can be placed more easily if they have second majors or minors in academic fields such as business, technology and computer science.

The major mistake many liberal arts students commit is they tend to wait until close to or after graduation before getting started in their professional job search, Small said.

They should also obtain internships or summer work that relates to their career goals and take electives that will help their career planning like computer science, business and communications courses, he said.

Beerstecher counsels many different majors in the liberal arts field, and she wants to raise the awareness of students about the Career Planning and Placement Center.

She wants to counsel with them at least one year before graduation and advise them to start coming to the center, starting in their sophomore year.

"Students get the impression that perhaps a service like this is really geared more for business or technical majors, whereas in fact there is a wealth of information and assistance available," she said.

Liberal arts majors need to have much more in-depth information about the job market since there are many directions to go, she said.

The center has publications for liberal arts students, internship information, workshops, seminars, a library for all majors and a recent project called Career Letter, which is distributed on campus to inform faculty members and advisers.

Employers in the private sector don't advertise as broadly for liberal arts majors as they will for accounting, but they seriously consider people referred to them, and those references can come from a university, she said.

SUPERCOLLIDER REP VISITS UH

by Kristine Fahrenholz

A representative from the Superconducting Supercollider research project scouted UH Monday for possible roles the school could play in the project.

Joseph Cipriano, on-site project director for the SSC, visited UH to look for possible areas of interest between UH's Texas Center for Superconductivity and the SSC.

Cipriano is interested in how far along UH is in the development of high temperature superconducting materials for future use in the mass production of magnets, said Kamel Salama, professor of mechanical engineering

It is important to develop these materials in large quantities and at low cost because the SSC will need approximately a few thousand pieces each year, said Wei-Kan Chu, deputy director for research at TCSUH.

Developing these high temperature superconducting materials will take approximately five years, Salama said.

In addition to looking at the progress of the materials, Cipriano spoke to faculty and students about the SSC, located in Waxahachie, Texas.

He toured the TCSUH's laboratories, the Cullen College of Engineering and the College of Science and Mathematics.

Cipriano has visited university laboratories across the country to find researchers and to make people aware of the SSC, the world's premier particle accelerator.

Approximately three times in a century, large scientific research projects, like the SSC, begin. This particular project is so enormous it is pulling in people from all disciplines, Butler said.

TCSUH has six departments studying magnets and related activities. If the high-temperature magnets being produced at TCSUH are successful, the chances of them being used at the SSC are favorable, Butler said.

Smaller companies, which could produce the magnets in large quantities, could result from TCSUH's findings, Chu said.

Cipriano also presented a lecture on "Super Science plus Super Engineering equals Super Collider."

In 1990, he took over as the on-site project director for the $8 billion the SSC program to provide leadership and to ensure the completion of the project within the budget.

MAG. ENABLES THE DISABLED

The search is on for the nation's top disabled graduating seniors, for an award offered by MAINSTREAM magazine, a national advocacy and consumer publication for the "able-disabled."

Outstanding Disabled College Graduates of 1993, chosen on the basis of academic achievement, disability rights advocacy, and community involvement, will each receive a certificate of recognition and a $250 cash award. The winners will also be featured in the July issue of the magazine.

Students can get applications by writing MAINSTREAM at 2973 Beech St., San Diego, CA. 92102, or by calling (619) 234-3138. Applications need to be postmarked by Feb. 15.

TEXAS TECH SCHOCKS NO. 25 COUGARS 78-74

Houston came into Lubbock Municipal Coliseum ranked 25th in the Associated Press poll for the first time since the 1983-84 season.

Now, they might be headed right back out.

Texas Tech, 9-6 (1-3), sank all six of its free-throws in the final :58 to claim a 78-74 victory and hand the Cougars, 11-3 (4-1), their first Southwest Conference loss of the season.

The Red Raiders tied the score for the sixth time at 67-67 when Lance Hughes hit one of two free throws with 2:12 remaining in the game.

After an Anthony Goldwire free throw for Houston, Tech's freshman guard Lenny Holly nailed a three-pointer to put the Raiders up 70-68.

The Cougars came back as Goldwire sliced the lane, spun to his left and put the ball in the hole with an underhand scoop to tie it up. He later scored a lay-up to close within two at 76-74.

But Tech center Will Flemons sank two free throws with :08 left to put the game away.

"This was a great game and Texas Tech deserved to win," said Houston coach Pat Foster. "They really played well."

Previously, Tech had given away games to Southern Methodist and Texas in the final minutes with poor free-throw shooting. Against Houston, they were 16-of-21.

"We've been working on our free throws a lot lately, mainly hitting them in game situations," said Holly, who finished 2-of-2 from the line. "We felt that if we could cut down on turnovers in the second half that we could win this game. This one feels pretty good."

The difference was Hughes, who was 9-of-15 from the field for 27 points, including 4-of-5 from beyond the arc. He also grabbed seven rebounds.

Guard David Diaz was 4-of-8 from three-point land for Houston. His teammates were 0-for-7.

INTRAMURALS ATTRACT WEEKEND WARRIORS

Since last Friday's final deadline for entries, intramurals directors Mark Cuhlmann and Reggie Riley have been hard at work scheduling the more than 86 intramural basketball teams for the opening of league play.

Three divisions -- men's open, men's fun and women's -- begin play Thursday at 6 p.m.

The divisions will be broken down into six-team leagues, in which each team will play five games. At the end of league play, the top two teams from each league will advance to the playoffs.

The championship games for the three divisions are tentatively scheduled for March 8-10 at Hofheinz Pavilion.

Games are scheduled for nights, Thursday through Saturday, depending on facility availability. The schedules are posted weekly in the intramurals office in room 102 of Garrison Gym.

"Usually, evenings and weekends are when people can play," Cuhlmann said. "That goes hand-in-hand with our program."

The men's open division, which is open to anyone on campus, should provide the highest level of talent. People who have lettered at four-year colleges are not eligible to participate.

"There should be some very good high school and junior-college players," Cuhlmann said.

Basketball is the first of numerous events scheduled for the spring semester. The spring intramurals schedule is available in the intramurals office.

Racquetball is the next scheduled event, with the $1 entry fee due Friday. Singles, doubles and co-ed divisions are being offered.

Softball is the largest event scheduled for the semester. Cuhlmann expects more than 110 entries by the Feb. 26 deadline. Men's, women's and co-ed leagues will be offered with the entry fee for each team set at $20.

YOUNG COOGS HOPE TO MAKE HUGE SPLASH

by Jason Ramirez

Swimming and diving coach Phill Hansel is not giving up on his swimmers.

Last year, the women's swim team finished at the bottom of the Southwest Conference. This year, the Cougars will try to improve from last season's performance, despite the fact there are no seniors on the squad.

But Hansel has assured that what lies beneath the surface is impressive.

Ironically, four of the six women Hansel regards as standouts are "very capable" freshmen.

They are freestyler Alex Heyns, backstroker Maria Rivera, breaststroker Vanessa Hein and diver Angel Sargent. Other standouts on the team include sophomore diver Olivia Clark and junior diver Donnelle Dubois.

"I really think these girls have a legitimate chance of qualifying for some All-American honors if they perform well," Hansel said. "I feel like we are a lot better from last year," he said. "Our attitude is up and so is our morale."

However, Hansel does admit his team still has a long way to go before it can seriously compete and make some waves with the best of them.

"Though we are working very hard," he said, "we still need a lot of work. But I do feel like we can move up at least two places within the conference."

With that in mind, the Cougars must improve their 1-4 record if they hope to have any chance of gaining ground in the conference. Their only victory came against the Rice Owls. Their four losses have come at the hands of Arkansas, LSU, Texas and Texas A&M.

"Right now, I am looking more for individual performances since I have six girls that can be serious qualifiers for the NCAA meet coming up later this semester, "Hansel said.

The way the road to the NCAA meet works is each swimmer and diver must place in the top eight in their respective conferences.

Once they do so, the swimmers then move on to a regional competition where each competes for a spot in the senior internationals competition. The top qualifiers advance to the coveted NCAA swimming and diving meet, held in March.

Despite Houston's loss to Texas A&M, 187-112, Saturday, Heyns won the 200- and 500-yard freestyles, and the 200-yard individual medley.

DuBois won the three-meter dive with a total of 299.93 points, and Clark won the one-meter dive with 281.10 points.

The Cougars will take on Texas Christian in Fort Worth Friday before they travel to Dallas for a meet with Southern Methodist and Texas Saturday.

ROYAL RUMBLE

Coogs look to upset Texas -- Again

Put away the red carpet. Pack up the crown.

Just because the Southwest Conference-leading Lady Longhorns are paying a visit to the Lady Cougars tonight doesn't mean they will receive any royal treatment.

Fresh off their second SWC victory, the Lady Cougars host the Texas Longhorns, who are undefeated in the SWC with a 4-0 record. Tip-off is at 7 p.m. at Hofheinz.

The Longhorns are 11-4 on the year after a 72-45 victory over Missouri-Kansas City Saturday.

Senior forward Vicki Hall and senior center Cinietra Henderson combined their strengths to dump a total of 23 points into the Longhorns basket in that game.

Houston basketball coach Jessie Kenlaw knows that against this tough Texas team, the Cougars will have to cover all the Longhorns.

"Texas is a team that you can't just key on one player," she said. "They have many weapons such as Cinietra Henderson,Vicki Hall and Fay Meeks."

Strong performances, such as the ones given in the Cougars' tangle with the Southern Methodist Lady Mustangs, will be a key to the Cougars defeating Texas.

"They have to play as hard as they can for the full 40 minutes of the game. It will take 110 percent from all of our kids, and they have to keep their intensity up and play with the same type of consistency they had during the SMU game," Kenlaw said.

When the Cougars played the Longhorns last season, they came away victorious with their first-ever SWC win over Texas, 73-65, in Hofheinz Pavilion.

On Saturday, the Cougars entered their game against the Mustangs tied for sixth place. They emerged the better team with a 76-68 victory.

The Mustangs were able to go inside and shut senior Margo Graham down. They limited her to only four points and five rebounds.

"They (SMU) collapsed on Margo, but we were able to overcome that with our other members," Kenlaw said.

Throughout the season, Kenlaw has looked for her young team to gel. She caught a glimpse of that against the Mustangs.

Three players scored in double digits against the Mustangs. Antoinette Isaac put up 16 points and seven boards, Andi Jackson had 12 points and two rebounds and Stephanie Edwards posted 14 points and seven rebounds.

Colleges vie for computer fees

NEW SYSTEM LEAVES TWO COLLEGE OUT IN THE COLD

by Jeanne Jones Riedmuller

For the first time, all 13 of UH's colleges wrote competitive proposals for a slice of the $3 million in computer-use fees collected from students this year. The largest grants, $200,000 each, were awarded to the colleges of Engineering and Social Sciences.

Proposals from the College of Architecture and the Law Center were not funded, which means the two schools will be operating their computing facilities on a smaller budget than last year.

All 13 colleges, the library, the Honors College, Academic Affairs, Student Affairs and Information Technology received base funding at 75 percent of the funding they were granted last year, which was awarded according to their student credit hours totals.

The remaining pool of $1.2 million, swelled by the $10 student service fee increase, was allocated to the colleges on the basis of their proposals.

The Academic Computing Advisory Committee determined which proposals would receive funding. The new funding method was the brainchild of Information Technology Associate Vice President Charles Shomper, an ex-officio member of the committee.

Howard Jares, interim director for Academic Support and ex-officio member of the committee, said, "In the past, money was awarded by formula funding. Everyone got money regardless of how innovative or how needy they were."

College of Social Sciences Dean Harrell Rodgers said, "Everyone agreed it was a very fair way to return money to the students. The supplemental pool gives an incentive to the colleges to be as imaginative, as efficient and as productive with the money as possible."

Rodgers added that his college will use its $200,000 grant to set up a "state-of-the-art technology model" for non-science colleges. The college's four-student teaching labs will be renovated with new 486-model computers with network access to mainframe data and CD-ROM material.

"In social sciences, we spend a great deal of time teaching how information is acquired and how we use data," Rodgers said. "Many courses use statistics and statistical theory, an empirical technique. These computers will allow students to familiarize themselves with empirical techniques and will give them a vehicle for sophisticated research."

The College of Engineering will use its $200,000 to take a first step in a three-year plan to overhaul both its curriculum and its computers, teaching students how to use five different kinds of computers they are likely to encounter as professionals.

"In the curriculum as it is taught currently, students are taught the use of a particular computer and set of tools. In the real world, they have to work on a myriad of systems," Jares said.

"If the company has MacIntoshes and the student learned on an IBM-PC, there is a serious learning curve the company has to provide. (Under the new program), students will be able to walk off the graduation plank, into the office and be totally productive," he said.

The two schools which did receive funding are left with a budget 25 percent less than last year.

Law Center Professor Joe Sanders said he was very disappointed. Sanders said law students put less pressure on UH's mainframe academic computing resources than students in many of the colleges, and the only way to return the law students' investment in computer-use fees was to return them to the Law Center.

"We have many needs for computers in the Law Center. The most fundamental need is access to legal databases like West Law and Lexus. As the library's budget shrinks, it becomes more necessary to have an electronic library. I don't know why we didn't get the money. I'm not prepared to accept it without a great deal of discussion."

The director of the College of Architecture's Computer Design Center, Elizabeth Bollinger, said she was very surprised that its proposal was not funded. Architecture's proposal was for computer upgrades needed for new software recently donated to the school, she said.

Bollinger said the kind of computing Architecture students use is very processing-intensive and requires very powerful machines. She points to the school's strong showing in international computer animation competition the last two years as evidence of the quality of the Computer Design Center.

"In this college, I have personally raised 80 percent of the equipment in the Design Center through grants and donations. Only 20 percent was funded through computer-use fees.

"We are at the forefront, winning competitions. It should be a strong statement we are doing the best work. We are asking for $450,000 to upgrade our equipment to run new software that's been donated. We needed an absolute minimum of $28,844."

The school's funding totals $18,750 for fiscal '93.

Director of Central Computing Bill Rowley, also an ex-officio member of the ACAC, said, "I don't recall any negative discussion of any proposals. But the proposals that did get funding were superior proposals. Architecture and Law didn't get funded because we just ran out of money."

Shomper said, "That the proposals totalled at least double the amount of money to be allocated demonstrates a big need to improve student computing on campus." He said grants were ranked according to the number of students affected.

DEMOCRAT SEES LONG-TERM SUCCESS FROM CLINTON

by Angela Johnsen

Change is the current theme for the Democrats, and it was the prevalent message emphasized by Ken Bentsen, the Democratic Party Chairman of Harris County, during a press conference on campus Tuesday.

In his opening statement, Bentsen, a nephew of Democrat and U.S Treasury Secretary Lloyd Bentsen, paralleled President Clinton's inaugural speech by stating that the new administration is "ready to bite the bullet" and realizes that certain changes are necessary.

Changes Americans can expect are taxes on gas, energy, liquor, alcohol and the wealthy.

Cuts in entitlement programs and greater attention and investment in urban areas can also be expected, he said.

Bentsen continued his discussion of future changes by detailing the difficult decision-making task of choosing between slowing the huge national deficit and funding expensive social programs.

Though the economy is growing, Bentsen said its 2.5 percent to 3 percent growth rate is not sufficient to overcome the $4 trillion debt.

The rising costs of Medicare and Medicaid and the costs associated with the savings and loan crisis have thwarted the initial assumptions made by the Congressional Budget Office, thereby putting social programs in danger, he said.

Bentsen, an investment banker, said despite the unpopularity of some of the requisite steps, the Clinton administration is gearing up to take the "political heat" necessary to attain the long-term goal of a reduced deficit.

One indication that change was fast approaching, Bentsen said, was the introduction of Clinton's Ethics Executive Order, a five-year lobbying ban on high-level appointees and a lifetime ban on foreign government appointees. He said the order is a symbol of major changes, not business-as-usual, but straight ethics. "There's nothing wrong with lobbyists, but it will increase the gap between agencies and lobbyists," Bentsen said. "It is clear that Clinton is making changes in how Washington works."

Bentsen hasn't ridden on the coattails of his uncle, but has established himself within the political arena on his own.

He is serving his second elected term as chair of the Harris County Democratic Party. Bentsen has held positions as assistant to Congressman Robert Coleman (1983-1987).

He was also on the staff of the House of Representatives' Appropriations Committee (1985-1987).

Bentsen said the appointments of "fiscal conservatives" into Clinton's Cabinet is a clear sign of the president's willingness to take risks, that he is serious about cuts and will be encouraging his staff to come together from all sides to form a partnership.

Bentsen said social programs will be overshadowed by the deficit in an attempt to lessen the gap between revenues and expenditures. Cuts are necessary, he said, to lessen this "structural deficit."

In the meantime, however, non-monetary ways of addressing social programs and/or the moving of money from some programs to others are in the near future, he said. "Everyone wants something, but it costs money to do it," Bentsen said.

As an expert on the Treasury Department, as well as defense and government funding, Bentsen addressed the school finance issue, which is one of the state's priorities.

He said there is a strong possibility that schools will be funded on a local-community level, while contributions to schools, such as project grants, will be reduced.

For higher education, loans will be paid back in the form of payroll deductions or national service, he said.

In response to students' concerns about Texas' future, Bentsen said current programs such as NASA are fairly safe, due to Congress' belief that new technology is good for our future well-being.

BEAUTY, BRAINS AND BOYFRIENDS -- FREE

The counseling and testing service and the learning support service on campus are offering a diverse range of free workshops and groups for students during the spring semester.

In academic areas, learning support services offer workshops on improving memory, college survival skills, effective note-taking, goal-setting, overcoming math anxiety or test anxiety, exam preparation,learning styles and learning strategy.

For self-improvement, classes are offered in time and stress management, sexual harassment on campus, how to overcome procrastination or depression, constructive relationships, HIV and drugs, smoking and the media, eating disorders, how to survive a break-up, communication skills, relaxation techniques, and women and self-esteem.

The counseling center offers personal development groups in assertiveness training, women overcoming childhood sexual abuse, smoking cessation, social health, women's personal development, social health, women connecting to self and others, HIV support, a couples group to improve relationships, and a support group for women in law school.

For information about days and times, call learning support services at 743-5411 or counseling and testing at 743-5454.

EMPLOYEES CHARGED IN THEFT

Two UH employees and a former employee were arrested and charged for burglary Thursday after UHPD responded to a false alarm in the bookstore.

When the police left the bookstore, they discovered the trio during a routine sweep of the UC at 1:03 a.m.

UHPD Sgt. David Swigeart and Cpl. Warren Obenland noticed an open door in the U.C. Arbor that should have been shut. When the officers entered the game room, they found two of the men trying to open a storage locker.

The three allegedly stole $230.25 in coins from video game machines.

"After the officers got (the two employees) down, the other man came around the corner and was arrested, too," UHPD Lt. Helia Durant said.

Kenneth Leelyn Cobbley, 23, and UH student James Wayne Webb, a junior economics major, were closing down the UC Games Room the night of their arrest, Durant said.

After closing at 11:45 p.m., Patrick Dennis Clark, 23, entered the arcade with set of keys which were allegedly used to burglarize some of the video games.

Though it is not known where Clark got the keys from, they did not fit all of the machines. Some burglarized machines were forced open, Durant said.

However, the only people with access to the coin boxes are employees of the independent vendor.

William Schwehr, manager of the game room, told UH police no UH employees have ever been allowed to repair any of the games. Thus, employees are not allowed to have keys to the games.

"At the time of arrest, Clark had $79 in a bowling bag, Cobbley had $72.75 in a brown plastic bag in his jacket and Webb had $65.75 in a white plastic bag in his jacket," Durant said. "There was also $12.75 on a pool table." UHPD recovered $230.25 worth of quarters.

However, the amount found on the men and the amount estimated missing by Texas Music and Amusements, the vendor that supplies the machines, differs by $37.75.

David May, a representative of the company, was called out the next day to estimate total losses.

May concluded that Atari's Tetris was missing $27.25, Atari's Steel Talons was missing $50, Sega's Spiderman was missing $63.50 and Midway's Mortal Kombat was short $127.25, Durant said.

May had little to say about the burglary except that "charges have already been filed, and I have nothing to say until it's all been settled."

The three are being held at $500 bond each on the charge of burglary of a coin operated machine and are scheduled to appear in court Jan. 28.

PREPARATION IS BEST ROUTE TO LAND EMPLOYMENT

by David Sikes

Students need all the help they can get in today's job market.

Learning how to catch an employer's eye and getting in the door for that important interview are essential.

"Anytime the job market is tight, the critical aspect is how to get the interview you want. Since the first contact with an employer is often the resume, then it becomes very important for it to be convincing," Boyd Armstrong, UH career counselor said.

The staff at the Career Planning and Placement Center said resume writing is like taking a snapshot of yourself, so you want to look your best.

The resume is a clear, concise, truthful, easy-to-read document used as a springboard to get an interview, Armstrong said.

Despite former Railroad Commissioner Lena Guerrero's recent resume fraud scandal, Armstrong said the program will not emphasize accuracy and honesty any more than usual. However, these issues are addressed.

"One of the fundamental issues we talk about is that you don't put anything on a resume which isn't true. But you don't want to leave off any information either," Armstrong said.

Armstrong claims the center has been successful for 13 years in guiding students in the right direction toward their career goals. Six full time counselors attend workshops year round to keep abreast hiring trends.

"We are in constant communication with what employers are looking for in new employees. We feel that we're on the cutting edge, giving students the most current and most helpful information available," Armstrong said.

Jobs often don't go to the best qualified candidate, but instead to the best prepared. According to the counselors at CPPC, students attending the seminars and workshops at UH will be better prepared.

A one hour workshop assists freshmen in trying for internships and graduating seniors in looking for work, Armstrong said.

Four times a year, individual students can be video taped as they role play an interview situation at the center. The players are critiqued by experts on personal presentation skills.

Today, the UH Career Planning and Placement Center is conducting a Resume Writing Workshop at 1 p.m. in room 106 of the Student Services Building.

UH ID cards are required at the workshop today; no reservations are necessary.

EXERCISES INCREASE MEMORY

by Heather Wolk

Memory loss is most often associated with old age, but with "mental exercises," which can be practiced in school, memory can be better at age 65 than during college.

Dr. Francis Pirozzolo, a neuropsychologist at Baylor College of Medicine, said many people accept memory loss as a normal part of aging. But, he said, growing older can mean growing smarter.

"There does tend to be some short-term memory loss as we age, but we have found that most people can improve memory with mental exercise," said Pirozzolo.

Junior business major Kirk Bateman uses repetition to memorize. "Dates are pretty hard for me. I just look at them until I know them," he said.

Lisa Schlanger, a sophomore psychology major, uses acronyms to help memorize. "Sometimes, if I have to memorize a list, I make a word with the first letters of each thing on the list," she said.

Jason Ailor, an undeclared sophomore, uses mental imagery.

"I have trouble remembering dates, especially in history," Ailor said. "I picture things in my head and try to recall things that way. It's boring, though, which doesn't make it any easier."

Senior kinesiology major Broady Wright said he is especially good at memorizing phone numbers. "I always remember numbers, because I memorize the pattern on the keypad," Wright said.

Pirozzolo said people who are concerned who don't have a systematic way of memorizing information are unable to concentrate because they are overly anxious.

He suggests releasing mental stress by relaxing and focusing on the items to be memorized.

Pirozzolo has developed several exercises designed to improve memory capacity.

•Memory location -- Keep items in a designated place to improve the memory.

•Scaffolding -- Organize information to be memorized in a logical sequence. For example, by placing lists in categories, the likelihood of forgetting something is smaller.

•Imagery -- Emotions are associated with certain words by creating a mental picture in the mind.

•Pneumonics -- Remember lists of items by forming a word with the first letter of each word. For instance, the word GLAD would remind you to get gas, laundry, apples and dishwashing soap.

•Sequence -- Remember things in order.

•Space practice -- It is better to learn something over a long period of time. It is better to memorize something for 10 minutes for five days than for one hour for one day.

•Alternating concentration -- Develop the ability to block out distractions by reading a book for 10 minutes with the television on then watching the television for 10 minutes. This will train the mind to alternate focusing.

Studies have shown the average person has the ability to memorize between five and nine lines of information as a group. Pirozzolo recommends that people recognize their limits and not exceed them.

"The phone company recognized the limits of most people's memories by limiting phone numbers to seven digits," said Pirozzolo. "Do not try to memorize too much or the exercises will become more frustrating than helpful."