IT'S ALL GREEK TO ME LANGUAGE LAB EXPANDS, IMPROVES

by Karen Snelling

UH's Foreign Language Lab just became more accessible and convenient through widespread improvements.

This semester, the lab's on-line network system allows students to use the lab's tutorial programs at other computer facilities on campus, said Duane Franklette, director of the lab.

"This system has greatly helped students because now they can work on language tutorials in other buildings when the language lab is closed," he said.

Computers found in the language, English and Social Work labs have been connected to the system, Franklette said. He said eventually all campus computers will be joined to the system, but he was unsure how long this process would take.

Ultimately, students will be able to hook up their own computers to this system and work at home on computer programs originating from campus, Franklette said. "Thanks to technology, we are getting close to this goal," he added.

Franklette said the language lab, which is located on the third floor of Agnes Arnold Hall, has acquired 10 new IBM computer terminals, almost doubling the number of computers available to students. Before last semester, the lab only had 12 Macintosh computer terminals, he said.

The new IBMs provide language tutorial programs in Spanish, French and German. Fenli Hong, a freshman business major, said the new IBMs really help her with German because they are the only computers in the lab that offer a German tutorial.

Students can use the Macintosh computers to work on language tutorials and write papers for their foreign language classes. Franklette said he is developing a new computer application that will allow students to write papers in English on the IBMs. "I would have no problem with students using the IBMs to work on papers for classes outside of foreign language as long as students who wanted to use the IBMs for tutorials got first priority," he said.

The lab also replaced its old headphone sets with nine new ones. "These headphones are much better than the old machines," said Vivian Teng, a junior psychology major. She said the old headphones had a much poorer sound quality than the new machines and often broke down.

The new headphones have a cuing system that allows student to find a particular spot in a language tape, said Steve Haff, a postbaccalaureate music student. Now students don't have to continually rewind or advance a tape to get to the exercise they want, he said.

Franklette said most students don't know about several of the language lab services that aren't new. Because the language lab uses a satellite to pick up live, TV broadcasts from foreign countries, students can watch foreign news and entertainment programs at the lab, he said.

The lab also carries several foreign videos students can watch. Teachers can take advantage of this service by checking out these videos to show in their classes, Franklette said.

The lab is one of the few that offer free laser-printing, Franklette said.

Vanessa Baird, a senior political science major, said one of the best aspects about the lab is that students work quietly there. "It's a quiet access to computers," she said.

*******************************************************

GET OUT YOUR UT CAP: DRESS CODE BILL UNRAVELS

The controversial dress-code bill has died, but Students' Association senators believe school spirit should not pass away with it.

SA killed bill 29006 at their first meeting of the spring semester.

The bill called for UH students to cease wearing paraphernalia from other universities. The punishment for breaking the law: a two-page typed report on the history of UH and five hours of campus community service.

"This legislation brought up a lot of good points. There needs to be a commitment to change. We want the administration to take a more active role in promoting the school and not just the sports," SA president Russell Hruska said.

"Students should know the school's history, heritage, traditions and quality," he said.

A major complaint in SA was that UH, because it is mostly a commuter school, does not have a sense of community.

"We really wanted to get the administration to do something about the lack of school spirit. Now we are working with the administration to implement a program during orientation that teaches new students about UH history," said Michelle Palmer, speaker of the SA senate and co-writer of the bill.

Some students were upset about the legislation and did not see the logic behind the bill.

"Community spirit is fine, but we did not get to see that. If that bill had passed, it could have taken away our freedom of expression," said Jodi White, a junior psychology major.

SA's goal to build school pride continues without the help of the bill.

"We are planning a number of community-enhancing events, and Senator Mitch Rhodes is working on a traditions book that should be done by the end of the semester. Hopefully, the book will be available to all students as well as at orientation," Hruska said.

CHEAP DRUGS ON CAMPUS

by Brett Lindsay

For codeine, caffeine and condoms, students no longer have to make a quick trip to Eckerd or Walgreens -- they can pick them up here on campus.

From no-doze to pain-killers, the on-campus pharmacy is open to all currently enrolled students and employees --not just for people with health insurance.

"We want to get the message out (that) we are here for all students," said Magdalene Vulitovic, chief pharmacist.

The pharmacy, set up as a non-profit venture, tries to offer the lowest prices possible. A supply of birth control pills, for example, sells for $6 at the pharmacy, while they usually cost $18 to $20 off-campus.

Most people seem to think they need to have health insurance to use the pharmacy, but it isn't true, Vulitovic said. In addition, the pharmacy can fill off-campus prescriptions with a prescription number and a phone number of a regular pharmacy.

The pharmacy also practices patient-counseling. When a student receives a new prescription, the pharmacist will explain the dosage, possible side-effects and other useful information.

"Surveys show that to get the best results, verbal instructions are necessary," Vulitovic said.

"Magdalene works very closely with the physicians to try to keep the students' out-of-pocket expenses down," said Gayle Prager, associate director of the University Health Center.

The pharmacy, which promotes preventative health care, also has many over-the-counter products available. Students can save time and money if they come to the UH pharmacy first, Vulitovic said.

The pharmacy is located in the University Health Center.

UH'S TEACHER PRODUCTION LAGGING

25 percent of HISD teachers from UH program

by Hermina Frederick

In a time of increasing concern about the quality of undergraduate education and a massive teacher shortage, the UH College of Education is providing the Houston Independent School District with almost 25 percent of HISD's instructors.

The question, however, is whether UH's lengthy and detailed training program is necessary when other programs, shorter and less intensive, turn out teachers at a faster rate.

The 1980s saw teacher shortages break out all over. By 1988, a significant increase in the district's student population added to the crisis.

HISD administrators were under pressure to meet a new state mandate requiring reduction of class size down to a 22-to-1 student/teacher ratio.

When school opened on Sept. 1, 1987, the Houston Post ran a headline that almost sounded like a death knell for education in Houston: "HISD opens its doors to 160,000; District faces teacher shortage, lower accreditation."

Its Aug. 4, 1988, issue reported an even more intense dilemma in the district's bilingual education services. According to the article, less than 25 percent of the 33,000 bilingual students in the district benefit from its bilingual education program because of a shortage of bilingual teachers. Elementary schools were hit hardest in this case, it stated.

In the throes of problem solving and brainstorming, one thing became clear to school administrators. According to Bill Jackson, HISD director of Staffing Control, "The colleges were not graduating enough teachers to meet our needs, and more people were getting out of teaching than were coming in, so we had to look for alternative means of training teachers."

HISD personnel records and UH School of Education graduation records indicate that when HISD was looking to recruit 600 new teachers in 1987, the university graduated 100 teachers per year, and a majority of them applied to schools outside the district, Jackson said.

What then was the hold-up at the colleges?

According to the Texas Alternative Certification guidebook, before legislation made alternative teacher certification available, policy makers were aware that many people who really wanted to teach were impeded by the structure of college-based systems.

Degreed professionals entering the teaching profession had to follow a prescribed plan which required the candidate to take one to two years of course work and pass an EXCET test for certification.

Although colleges in the state of Texas now provide alternating certification services for postbaccalaureate students, they still pass undergraduate teacher education majors through the traditional process.

The degree plan prescribed for the undergraduate teacher education students at UH includes an 18-hour professional development course taken in three phrases, spread over three semesters of course work and kicks in when the student is within 42 hours of graduation.

This certification program, called the RITE program, exposes the student-teacher to the various methods and philosophies of teaching. Student teachers in Phases I and II are assigned to schools within the district to observe teachers at work in the classroom. Phase III students are placed in the classrooms to do their teaching practicum.

Through all three phases, students are supervised by school administrators, teachers and officials of the College of Education. Once they have successfully completed all three phases and passed the EXCET test, students graduate out of the program as degreed, certified, Texas teachers.

Critics of UH's undergraduate teacher certification program say 18 hours of training spread over three semesters is too long a wait. Whether this traditional system of preparing beginning teachers for the classroom helps or hinders the quality of teachers in the district cannot readily be determined, Jackson said.

Jackson, a 32-year veteran in teaching and a UH education graduate, said, "I have seen teachers from both traditional and ALCERT programs do exceptionally well and also very poorly. The teacher's personality more than anything is what determines how well he deals with the children he has to teach."

Kip Tellez, UH teacher certification director, sees it as a matter of professional development. "We believe that there is a core of knowledge that people must learn. If you are a firefighter and don't understand the principles of firefighting, you're likely to be sold junk." he said.

For Tellez, the three semesters of intense study in teaching methodology and practice serves HISD well because the graduate teacher is then well prepared to face the classroom. "Those who say the program takes too long are the loudest," he said. "You must realize we don't have the personnel to meet everyone's needs."

Tellez's convictions about the quality of training given by the RITE program are echoed by Pherris Miller, Alternative Certification Data-base specialist at Pasadena ISD. "Most of the time that's where you get your best teachers," she said, "because they are coming in with more innovative techniques of teaching."

Miller said ALCERT teachers are sent directly into the classroom and learn about the fine points of teaching by, more or less, hands on experience and trial and error. Although they have a mentor to guide them through the process, she said, "I still believe that the experience that college trained teachers gain in preparing lesson plans, evaluating students' work and observing teachers at work over three semesters is surely a big plus for them when it comes to dealing with a class."

Jerry Roy, executive personnel director of Baytown's Goose Creek HISD, said while the college-trained teacher has more time to inculcate the principles of teaching, the ALCERT candidate often comes in with a wealth of content knowledge enhanced further with training.

"The engineer who decides to make a career change is often more serious and willing to spend the money for training. It's like training on top of training," he said.

While all three pointed out certain weaknesses in the program, UH Phase I student-teachers Fran MacNeel, Ann Carlo and Wendy Bruner felt the 18 hours of training spread over three semesters was good.

Carlo said, "I don't think the three semesters is sufficient for all the things we have to learn." Added Bruner, "I don't think you can cut it in any less time."

Phase II student Min Cheng found that three semesters of teacher-training was enough. "After learning the different methods of coordinating content from various subjects in teaching math, science or any other subject, I feel confident that I will be able to handle a class," she said.

So why all the bad-mouthing about college teacher-certification programs?

The greatest fight with the RITE program is from students who have missed the chance to register for the program and from those applicants who qualify but are forced to sit out when the quota of students has been reached.

A total of 56 students were denied entrance into the spring 1993 RITE session. These students will have to wait until the fall to re-apply for the program. This is the source of aggravation for most students.

Although she could not pin the case squarely on the RITE program, UH English advisor Robin Kaitschuck said students often come in and ask to change their majors. In the case of education students, "they go ahead and change their concentration to English or literature and graduate. Then they go into some alternative certification program," she said.

Students who have been denied entrance into the certification program often find another area of concentration, such as social work, business or psychology and abandon their efforts to enter the teaching profession.

Of the 165 teacher education majors who applied for entrance into the spring 1993, Phase I, RITE session, 150 were accepted and of those, 54 were conditionally accepted (meaning they had to maintain their GPA in their area of specialization).

Tellez said 200 to 250 students have been accepted into the RITE program annually, and a total of 500 have graduated over a five-year period.

Does this output of teachers from the UH program affect the flow of qualified teachers to HISD?

Not necessarily, said Cindy Garcia, an HISD analyst counselor. "We get a majority of our teachers from the ALCERT programs, and UH's output really doesn't affect us," she said.

Bill Jackson provided an opposing perspective. "When you take two colleges within the city limits providing more than half of HISD's professional staff, then I have to say yes."

As of September 1992, Jackson said, 2,367 of HISD's 10,012 degreed professional staff are graduates of the UH College of Education. "It is pretty significant when you see that one out of every four of our professional staff comes from UH."

Jackson includes an economic factor into HISD's dependence on UH for its teacher force. Since the courses at UH are affordable to a large number of students, he said, HISD will, in the long run, benefit from its output of certified teachers.

Miller added, "Since we have the ALCERT program, we are able to meet our staffing needs."

Since its inception in 1988, the Pasadena ALCERT program has provided the district with approximately 2,000 certified teachers.

While the slow trickle of teachers from UH's RITE program is not critical to the enlargement of HISD's teacher force, the program is credited with providing teachers who are thoroughly trained and are most likely to do well in the classroom.

VISION 2000 EYES FUNDRAISER FOR COLLEGE

by Kristine Fahrenholz

More than 2000 students have graduated from the College of Optometry in the past four decades, and half of them are currently Texas optometrists.

"The College of Optometry is the only one in Texas and one of 17 in the country," said Steve Gubitz, director of development at the College of Optometry.

The 400 students currently enrolled are working in one of the top-two optometry schools in the nation, Gubitz said.

The college will be celebrating 40 years of educational service at a gala that will also kick off a campaign to raise $5 million.

The money will be used for state-of-the-art equipment, scholarships and an expansion of college facilities, as well as to fund the proposed plan to name the college's building after J. Davis Armistead, a regent emeritus of the UH System and a past president of the college's Foundation for Education and Research in Vision.

"He has contributed a lot to the college," said Joel Cummings, a former UH System regent and a member of the building-naming committee.

Vision 2000 is the name of the campaign, but is also the futuristic view of what optometry will be like in the year 2000, Gubitz said.

Money from the long-term campaign will be contributed from alumnae, optometrists, friends of optometrists and corporations, Gubitz said.

A celebration dinner for the 40th anniversary of the College of Optometry will be held on Feb. 20 at the University Hilton.

WATCH YOUR WALLET

All campus areas targeted as thieves return

The new semester is off to a rolling start and so is crime on campus.

This weekend, there were three thefts and a burglary. The crimes are no longer happening in such predictable places as the library.

Thieves have taken sweaters, telephones, calculators, bicycles and radar detectors.

A purse and its contents, along with a sweater, were reported stolen Friday from a secured locker in the UH Hilton lobby.

However, the theft did not occur during the wee hours of the night. It happened during lunch hour as diners were constantly entering and exiting the building.

The Moody Towers Itza Pizza also had an incident. "A student put his wallet on the counter and left it there," said UHPD Lt. Helia Durant. "When he went back for it about 10 minutes later, it was gone."

The wallet was not turned in to any personnel at the establishment, said Itza Pizza manager Angel LaRose.

Last year, there were 648 reported thefts, according to UHPD annual statistics. Since Jan. 7, there have been nine burglaries and 24 thefts reported to UHPD.

"At the beginning of each semester, we always have a high count of thefts and motor-vehicle burglaries," Durant said.

Though campus crime is well underway, it doesn't mean students have to let it get out of control.

LIBERAL STUDENTS MAKE A COMEBACK

UCLA survey says activists, demonstrators abound

CPS -- And you thought the 1960s were the heyday of protesting for college students.

In fact, more than 40 percent of college freshmen surveyed by a UCLA research group said they participated in an organized demonstration last year, as opposed to just 16.3 percent of freshmen polled by the same organization in 1967.

The Higher Education Research Institute at UCLA, which has been conducting an annual survey of entering college freshmen for 27 years, also found that the percentage of students for whom "helping to promote racial understanding" is an "essential" or "very important" goal rose to an all-time high of 42 percent.

Along those lines, 85.1 percent of those surveyed disagreed with the assertion that racial discrimination is no longer a major problem in the United States. That figure was a record high, up from 79.7 percent in 1991.

"The circumstances surrounding last spring's riots in Los Angeles seem to have been the catalyst for a re-examination of racial issues across the nation," said survey director Eric Dey. "By and large, students have responded by re-commiting themselves to promoting racial equality."

The survey, sponsored by the American Council on Education, polled more than 200,000 entering freshmen at 404 colleges and universities.

Community activism proved to be of all-around central significance to those polled last year. About one-third (30.7 percent) said that becoming a community leader was a "very important" or an "essential" goal. In 1972, that figure was only 14.9 percent.

"Taken as a whole, these findings suggest that students today are substantially more committed to serving their communities and to working for social and political change than were students who entered college just a few years ago," said Alexander Astin, a graduate professor at UCLA and founding director of the survey.

Volunteerism also increased slightly among those polled. More than 65 percent said they performed some kind of volunteer work last year, up from 64.7 percent in 1991.

The heated political debates of the last year took their toll on the Class of '96, as well. The percentage who labeled their political views as either "liberal" or "far left" jumped to 26.7 percent, its highest point in 15 years. The "conservative" or "far right" held constant at 20.3 percent.

Nearly 25 percent said they frequently talk about politics, up from 18.5 percent in 1988. Oddly enough, though, the proportion of students who worked in a local, state or national campaign fell from 8.7 percent to 7.3 percent between 1988 and 1992. Last year's figure is an all-time low and almost half the average number reported between 1968 and 1971 (14.1 percent).

"These patterns show that increased interest is not automatically translated into increased participation," Astin said. "It may well be that despite their interest in political change, today's students remain somewhat cynical about traditional politics."

The nation's tough economic times struck college freshmen as well. The survey found that a record numbers of students said they chose their colleges on the basis of low tuition and financial aid. Thirty percent based decisions on cost and 28.3 percent considered the financial assistance package.

More than 17 percent said they had a major concern about their ability to pay for college and the number who said they went to college because they could not find a job reached an all-time high at 8.2 percent, up from 7.3 percent in 1991.

"These figures are troubling since research has consistently shown that living away from campus and working at an outside job detract from the quality of the freshman-year experience," he said.

Astin said he was concerned that 23.6 percent chose their college because they wanted to live near home. He also said he was worried about the fact that 38.8 percent said they will have to get jobs to help pay for college expenses and that 4.9 percent said they expect to work full time during college.

Among the other findings of the report:

* 14.3 percent said they were interested in a business career, down from a peak of 24.8 percent.

* 15.6 percent, a new high, expressed interest in majoring in the health profession. That figure is double the 1987 level of 7.2 percent.

* 47.8 percent said they frequently or occasionally argued with a teacher in class.

* 53.5 percent reported frequently or occasionally drinking beer, down substantially from the 75 percent figure in 1981 and 1982.

* 23 percent agreed that marijuana should be legalized, up from the low of 16.7 percent in 1989.

* 64.1 percent said that abortion should be legal.

* 89.7 percent said the federal government is not doing enough to control environmental pollution.

* 37.6 percent, a record low, said it is important to have laws prohibiting homosexual relationships, the fifth year in a row that figure has dropped.

* 61.2 percent said colleges should prohibit racist and sexist speech on campus.

* 44.2 percent agreed that "if two people really like each other, it's all right for them to have sex even if they've known each other only for a very short time." The figure was 51 percent in 1990.

* 88.9 percent said that "just because a man thinks that a woman has 'led him on' does not entitle him to have sex with her," the highest recorded figure.

HAZING A 'FACT OF LIFE'

Rituals plague academies

WASHINGTON (CPS) -- Hazing is still a common practice at the nation's three military service academies, with the Air Force Academy named as the worst offender, a recent report said.

The report charges that hazing can cause emotional suffering to cadets and can be responsible for poor grades and higher dropout rates.

Despite laws prohibiting the practice of hazing underclassmen, the practice continues, according to the report by the General Accounting Office, the investigative arm of Congress.

"Hazing has never completely disappeared from the service academies, despite being outlawed for over a century," said the report, which recommended the academies take measures to stop the practice completely.

The GAO noted that the Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo., was lagging behind the U.S. Military Academy, West Point, N.Y., and the U.S. Naval Academy, Annapolis, Md., in taking steps to control hazing.

"More physically abusive forms of hazing, such as dunking fourth-class students in toilets, using physical restraints, covering fourth-class students with shaving cream or other substances or spraying them with water, appeared less often" at the U.S. Military Academy and the U.S. Naval Academy than at the Air Force Academy, the study said.

Sen. John Glenn, D-Ohio, who requested the investigation, issued a statement noting that hazing "remains a cruel fact of life for many of our young people at the academies."

SECURITIES INDUSTRY'S JOB OUTLOOK NOT SO SECURE

UH finance students heading into the securities industry may have a difficult time establishing themselves in a field that has just started to recover from a stock market crash and an economic recession, according to some professors and people within the industry.

After the 1987 crash, many people were turning their backs on the securities industry and opting for executive posts in manufacturing firms. That trend is slowly starting to turn around, according to a Wall Street Journal article by Michael Siconolfi which estimates that after the crash of 1987, the number of Harvard MBAs going to work on Wall Street dropped from 30 percent to just over 10 percent.

Since that time, the numbers have slowly risen to just over 15 percent in 1992. This is due in part to the high starting salaries many Wall Street firms are offering, salaries ranging from $50,000 to $70,000.

Another reason for the turnaround in the securities industry, according to George Kane, is the drop in CD rates. Kane, a UH graduate and resident manager for the Merrill Lynch office in Sugar Land, said the falling CD rates have almost forced people to find different ways of investing money.

He said the securities industry has three basic parts, all of which play a factor in both growth and the job market.

The first aspect, sales and marketing, involves mostly brokers, Kane said. He stated the growth in this area is fairly flat because many firms are just not hiring new people right now.

The second area is that of operations, such as cashiers. Kane stated that the opportunities in this area are declining quickly because of technological advances. Until a year ago, all buying and selling had to been performed manually. This meant going from the broker to operations to execution. Now the broker can sell or make purchases straight from their personal computers.

The final area to consider, said Kane, is administrative and analytical positions. Kane stated that opportunities in this final area are dwindling rapidly because most firms are using their own people for analysis and are promoting from within for administrative positions.

Kane's final comments were more positive. "Now that I have given all this bad news on job opportunities, I want to say that this is still a good industry to find a home in. I just feel that jobs are going to be in sales and marketing. Plus, this is one of the few industries that offers the support of working for a large company with the flexibility of being an entrepreneur."

Catherine Woodruff, Ph.D., an investment professor at UH, also expressed both optimism and reservations toward the securities industry. Woodruff explained that people are going to have to be better prepared and more creative when looking for a job in this field because the opportunities are harder to find than in the early 1980s.

Woodruff also explained that any people being hired are often from other professions. Firms are seeking people with good communication and writing skills, basically good salesmen. She also explained that having solid analytical skills and being computer literate also help a person's chances of finding a job in the industry.

Woodruff advised students to better prepare themselves for a job search by earning a CFA, or Chartered Financial Analyst, designation. To obtain a CFA designation, a person must pass three examinations. Each exam is given once a year.

In addition to passing these exams, a person must have at least three years of experience in investment-related work. The information to obtain a CFA includes ethical and professional standards, financial accounting, quantitative analysis, economics, fixed income securities, equity securities analysis and portfolio management.

The CFA is becoming increasingly important, Woodruff said, because many companies and firms are preferring CFA-designated applicants.

Woodruff also explained that getting the CFA is easier than earning an MBA because a student can begin the CFA program right after they earn their undergraduate degrees, but a student must have work-related experience before starting the MBA program.

"This is a great business and a great place to seek a career. It is a challenging and an exciting field to work in," said Woodruff about the securities industry.

Robert Rowlett, a senior finance and accounting major, said, "Most of the positions today are in sales and insurance. Plus, Houston just isn't the place for getting into the securities industry. You need to go to Chicago or New York. That's where the headquarters of your major firms and companies are."

FLU BUG KOS GOLWIRE FROM UH-RICE MATCHUP

Houston coach Pat Foster announced Monday that point guard Anthony Goldwire has the flu and will miss the game against the Rice Owls tonight at Hofheinz Pavilion.

Goldwire, who played under the weather in the 70-60 loss to Southern Methodist Saturday, has missed the last two days of practice because of high fever, Foster said.

"It's not good," Foster said. "Goldwire's fever did not break. We were trying different combinations of guys (in practice) to see what would happen."

After the SMU game, Foster said when Goldwire is not on the floor, the offense breaks down and the team doesn't look very good.

Guard David Diaz will be the likely candidate to start in place of Goldwire, he said.

"We'll go with Diaz to start at the point and bring in Rafael Carrasco, Darrell Grayson, or Lloyd Wiles," Foster said.

Goldwire averaged 15.5 points and 6.5 assists in the 15 games he started this season. He ranks among the top 10 in the Southwest Conference in field goal percentage (47.2), free throw percentage (78.9), assists (97) and steals (26).

"You can't replace him," Foster said. "It's just a matter of trying to get other people to step up."

FOAM, LUST DON'T MIX

(CPS) -- A psychology professor, weary of trying to convince skeptical students of the dangers of alcohol, has finally gotten their attention with a new poster that graphically demonstrates problems with mixing sex and booze.

The posters, which begin with the word "Caution" and spell out how a blood alcohol count of .05 to .10 can destroy romantic liaisons, are targeted to college-age men and posted on the walls of fraternity rest rooms.

Michael Kalsher, an assistant professor of psychology at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in New York, heads a team that is developing informative alcohol-warning posters. He said the signs are very successful.

Students are more likely to read posters above urinals or inside toilet stalls than labels on beer bottles, Kalsher said.

"To read some warnings, a person has to turn the bottle sideways and read the fine print, spilling beer on the floor. And many college parties serve beer in paper cups that have no warning labels," he said.

Other posters developed by the Rensselaer team emphasize alcohol-related risks such as traffic accidents, loss of drivers' licenses, brain damage and arrest records.

The sex-and-alcohol poster reads:

Caution: Sexual Performance

* At blood alcohol levels (BAC) between .05 and .10, your sexual arousal is greatly reduced.

* At BAC's above .10, your ability to have an orgasm will be inhibited or eliminated.

* Alcohol impairment greatly increases your chances of engaging in "regrettable sex," sexual encounters that you later regret.

* Alcohol impairment makes it less likely that you'll practice "safe sex," increasing your chances of getting sexually transmitted diseases such as AIDS.

* Heavy alcohol use by men reduces testosterone levels and can result in shrinking of the testicles and impotence.